Video: Chrysler ad a stealth Obama promotion?; Update: Video restored

posted at 3:40 pm on February 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Did Chrysler buy two minutes of the most expensive television time possible to air a stealth promotion for Barack Obama? Clint Eastwood narrates and appears in Chrysler’s spot, in which he declares that we have reached “halftime in America,” which seems to hint at a two-term Presidency for Obama:

Politico covers the controversy:

“It’s halftime. Both teams are in their locker rooms discussing what they can do to win this game in the second half. It’s halftime in America, too.” Eastwood says. “People are out of work and they’re hurting. And they’re all wondering what they’re gonna do to make a comeback.”

Pointing to improvement in the auto industry as a positive sign, the “Dirty Harry” star goes on, “Detroit’s showing us it can be done. …This country can’t be knocked out with one punch. We get right back up again and when we do, the world is going to hear the roar of our engines.”

Though the commercial didn’t mention any politicians by name, Twitter quickly lit up with speculation: Was Eastwood giving props to President Obama for bailing out the auto industry?  And was the ad a veiled endorsement of his re-election?

David Axelrod, a top campaign adviser to Obama, seemed quick to interpret it that way, calling the ad a “powerful spot.”

Karl Rove blasted the ad as offensive on Fox News this morning, as did the Boss Emeritus yesterday:

“I was, frankly, offended by it,” said Karl Rove on Fox News Monday. “I’m a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, I thought it was an extremely well-done ad, but it is a sign of what happens when you have Chicago-style politics, and the president of the United States and his political minions are, in essence, using our tax dollars to buy corporate advertising.”

“Agh. WTH?” tweeted conservative commentator Michelle Malkin. “Did I just see Clint Eastwood fronting an auto bailout ad???”

Kyle Wingfield of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution found it equally offensive as a piece of taxpayer-funded propaganda:

But the halftime Chrysler commercial starring Clint Eastwood, describing America as being in its own “halftime,” was just overtly politicized. After all, what else could “halftime” have meant, in the year 2012, than halfway through the eight years Barack Obama would be president if re-elected this fall? I’m fairly certain it wasn’t a prediction that the country will break up circa 2248 A.D.

Chrysler of course has a right to political speech. But it would be nice if the company wouldn’t be so brazen about its leanings while still owing the entire country — left, right and center — billions of dollars.

Chrysler denies having a political motive in mind, presumably other than making the argument for the bailout, which the ad does very clearly if not quite explicitly.  Their CEO laughably asks that “it doesn’t get utilized in as political fodder in a debate” after spending millions of dollars during the Super Bowl proclaiming the wisdom of the bailout.  Maybe if Chrysler had stuck to promoting its latest models rather than complaining about Americans debating over policy and then declaring America in its “halftime,” Sergio Marchionne wouldn’t have to hope that his car company would get excused from political debates in the future.  Sounds like the same kind of whining that led to the bailout in the first place.

Eastwood’s involvement in this issue is rather ironic, since — as the Washington Post points out in its coverage — Eastwood opposed the auto bailouts:

“I’ve always been very liberal when it comes to people thinking for themselves,” said Eastwood, who supports gay marriage, abortion rights and environmental protection. “But I’m a big hawk on cutting the deficit. I was against the stimulus thing too. We shouldn’t be bailing out the banks and car companies. If a CEO can’t figure out how to make his company profitable, then he shouldn’t be the CEO.”

Well, Clint, I hope the paycheck from the endorsement made your day, and, er … hope it clears, too.  Sounds as though Eastwood switched teams at his halftime.

Update (Allahpundit): Oddly enough, the White House seems okay with it.

Update (Ed): YouTube pulled the ad after Chrysler claimed its posting violated its copyright. I got the new code from Politico, which seems to have a little more testicular fortitude than YouTube and its parent, Google.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Yeah, Detroit is doing so well that the Governor is ready to call in an Emergency Manager to take over the government that get them back from the verge of bankruptcy.

Detroit resembles a bombed out Third World cesspool. I wonder why that might be?

NoLeftTurn on February 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I mean, you ppl are actually angry about a car commercial for an American car company aired during halftime of the Super Bowl, narrated by Clint Eastwood! How much more American can you get than that? This is where you want to plant your flag? Really?!

HE WAS AGAINST THE AUTO BAILOUTS AS RECENTLY AS 3 MONTHS AGO.

That’s the point.

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM

verbaluce on February 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM
I wonder which is worse. Folks being upset about a pro-BHO super bowl ad, or folks being upset about the folks that are upset about the ad.
Norky on February 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Well to be more accurate, those that are amused by those who are upset….and amused by folks who saw it as a ‘pro-BHO’ ad… and by those that use ‘BHO’ when refering to Obama.

verbaluce on February 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I’m part of the anti-war left, believe me, I get it.

libfreeordie on February 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Cripes. So you admit that you are a useful idiot?

SparkPlug on February 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

verbaluce on February 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I guess I’m being racist when I refer to your messiah as BHO.

Norky on February 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Have you ever heard an interview with Clint on his political views? He may not be a Liberal, per se, but at best, he’s what you would call a squish.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yes, Eastwood is more liberal than anything, but it’s probably hard to work in Hollywood for years and not have your attitudes change. Not that I really care. I used to like his movies, but I can hardly watch them anymore. A bit crude, too many of them.

rickv404 on February 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

That was my immediate impression.

Between the Chrysler Obama ad, the NBC coverage, Government Motors ads, GE ads and gaybar halftime show, it was pretty much the Moonbat Bowl.

forest on February 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM

NBC was really shilling their Sitcom clowns. Pretty shameless.

SparkPlug on February 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Seriously, what part of Eastwood doing the ad doesn’t promote free enterprise?
He got paid for doing an AD. That is what Free Enterprise is all about.

Do my comments mean I approve of his specific comments? NO!

It means I approve of capitalism. He.Got.Paid.

That is capitalism.

ladyingray on February 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM

You’re kidding me, right? Right?

What FREE ENTERPRISE did he promote? You mean PUBLIC FUNDS BAILOUT and a complete screw jobs on bond holders, AGAINST ALL LAWS ON BOOKS? You mean giving unions a 30% stake in the company htye NEVER owned in the first place? You mean the loans the bailed out Government Motors and FIAT UAW “paid back” via more of the bailout money? Do you undersand simple math and and financial transactions?

Do you even understand the words you’re typing?

The more I read Romney crowd BS and dementia driven diatribes the more I am convinced we are screwed into 4 more years of Hussein. Coulter/Rove/Rubio cabal better leave the country if Romney is our nominee, they will go down in history as those directly responsible for the destruction of America by giving Hussein a lifeline.

riddick on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I had to walk away for a while, but bottom line here people, you’re hurting my heart here. Good, bad, right, or wrong there are a lot of good people in the state of Michigan, and I’m one of them Do I support Barack O’dumbo? Of course not! And that’s just not how I heard that commercial at all. What I heard is a tiny reason to feel pride in a wonderful state that has been effed over by Dems for so long we’re TRYING to remember what pride is.

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I guess I’m being racist when I refer to your messiah as BHO.
Norky on February 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Um…I don’t think that. An odd leap there.
What do you think you are being…clever.
I am not big on the silly names. Any worthy critique doesn’t require such. (And the ‘Messiah’ crack..really? It’s just so 2010. )

verbaluce on February 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I watched this site for so long, and then, last registration or so I finally decided it was time for me to participate. And you know what? I kind of think I’m sorry I did. I thought I’d see/feel support from like minded conservatives and (trolls notwithstanding, they don’t mean squat) all I’ve felt in the months I’ve been participating is more depressed than I was before. Feels like everyone is only interested in there own opinion, and can’t even fathom how anyone else may respond to things. I was really excited to be able to be a part of hotair in the beginning, now, it just feels like the same way everyone talks about libs. We eat our young. I need some pride people, and I refuse to read politics into everything. Sorry, I guess I was wrong about what this site had to offer. Out.

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

waterytart

So, its all about how people in Michigan feel uh?

Get off your ass’s and fight the dam commie Democrats who are effen you and your state over.

Use Texas as an example.
Hell we are doing find even with a dumb ass half ass former Democrat turned RINO for a Gov.

If you spit in their face and fight like hell they will find an easy target. They can double down on poor California.

Clint is doing his Actor Guild Union duty.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Oops, and before all the cerebral folks get a chance to jump in, yes, I realize I used “there” instead of “their” in my 5th sentence, sorry. Don’t need to give all the Detroit/Michigan bashers any additional ammo.

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Dude, Toyota and Nissan have owned the car industry for decades.

Yes, and that’s why GM broke past Toyota last quarter in sales. Perhaps after damage from the earthquake is overcome, Toyota will surpass GM once again (although Nissan will not).

Then you can continue cheering for Asian dominance over US companies.

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

NoLeftTurn on February 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Because all the smart executives moved to NYC or silicon valley to start high growth companies in other industries?
It’s amazing how many peons try to explain the world through overly simplistic versions of reality.

US automakers had no shortage of both Demos and Republicans in their ranks- the men and women who completely failed to build organizations that could complete with the Japanese.

Google, Youtube, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon- all run by people described by the right wing as ‘leftists’. Doomed to fall in the face of competition from Oklahoma and Texas? Is the world that simple?

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Thanks for your “kind” words of support. We did get off our “asses” and elect a Republican governor. And sorry if I’m framing my opinions on how “Michigan” feels, but since I live here, not sure what your expectation is.

Like I said, I came to this site to express opinions, and not be attacked by folks of like mind. Today, I guess I’m sorry I bothered. And people wonder why conservatives will never be in power again. Thanks for reminding me why I didn’t get registered sooner.

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

To little to late.

If you just elect a Republican you might just get a Romney or a Mitch Daniels or some other hands across the isle type.

It is war.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I don’t know what the eff you’re talking about, and I don’t think you do either. We elected Rick Snyder in 2010, and all he’s put up with is the same crap that Scott Walker in Wis has had to deal with, so don’t give me your “war” BS.

And sorry, I am a grammar freak, it’s “too little too late”. If you can’t take the time to even frame your insults properly, I don’t have time for your second hand bullshit.

In a real war, either you have weapons or you have words, and for as erudite (sarc) as you are, I sure hope you have weapons. Heaven help us, it’s no wonder no one listens to us when we have Einstein’s like you on our side. Does the phrase “quit helping me Jethro” mean anything to you? If not, take a minute and google it. And while you’re doing that, I’m going to move on to a site that has real, intelligent discourse, buh bye now.

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Cripes. So you admit that you are a useful idiot?
SparkPlug on February 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Betch, please. There are three kinds of Republicans: millionaires, billionaires and dupes. It’s an easy guess which you are if you’re spend time reading the propaganda on HA.

Constantine on February 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

AD comes across like suck up to the bailout. Why not. We paid for the bailout. Could say we paid for the ad. It gets under my skin. I go out of my way to buy USA, but this ad was just a campaign ad to repay a favor

Made me despise the auto company for the thumb in the eye

I’m a Michigander. I wanted a bailout. That is, I wanted loans to keep the company from being dismantled and sold at auction. I did not imagine the crisis would be used as an excuse to plunder the bondholders to service the unions, and who owns the company now?

Eastwood says now he is a libertarian. My eye

entagor on February 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

So, do not change the subject.

What is up is this.

Is the add a bunch of commie bs or not?

Yes I can fight any way, fists, guns, words or back stabing just like any RINO when I have to.

The bankruptcy laws could have and would have done the deal better.

Only thing is the commie Democrat Union thugs did not want a fair deal they wanted my tax money to bail you guys out.

Sorry charlie, that is commie bs.

Put another way, how much of your tax money are you willing to put ot to bail out American Air Lines down here in Texas.

Do not hear Clint, Obama or the Auto Workers demanding bail out money for Texas jobs.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I found the ad offensive. At best it is another attempt to justify waste of taxpayer funds on an auto bailout. At worst it is an ad for a failed president.

They must have payed Clint Eastwood quite a lot for this.

netster007x on February 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Very possible Clint has had his “Dixie Chick” moment.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Whoa, waterytart, you have some teeth ;-) Keep sharpening them. Don’t stop participating, just stay clear of those who display the inability to have an intelligent argument. If you quit, jerks win, and no one wants that.

Very possible Clint has had his “Dixie Chick” moment.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Doubt it.

DoubleClutchin on February 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Eastwood says now he is a libertarian. My eye

entagor on February 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Heard Beckel today say he was a Republican.

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

If I was a New Orleans native, I’d be kinda pissed to be a stand-in for DETROIT. I mean, COME ON!

At least New Orleans is FUN as Third World countries go!

tree hugging sister on February 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM

DoubleClutchin on February 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Thanks, I SO needed that. And truly, my friends reading my discourse on here would wonder why I was being so nice…………….I’ve been reading here for a long time, and the folks I’ve admired, that led me to even bother joining up are Dire Straits, Bishop, Canopfor, and Cindy Munford to name a few, and sadly, they seem to have their own clique to whom they deign to speak. That’s okay, I guess we “noob’s” have to prove our mettle. Whatever. That being said, my teeth are sharper than you can imagine, I guess I’ve been trying to be nice to gain respect. Done now, gloves off. Hazmat suits on folks, I’m armed and ready.

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

You’re welcome. FWIW, I thought you argued quite well for Michigan. Lots of gusto! And I agree with you and others in here that sometimes a commercial is just a commercial and this one was positive re the people of Michigan, so gotta love that, right?! Love your city, love your state, love your country, it all flows….

Have a nice evening :-)

DoubleClutchin on February 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I worked for Ford and was proud to be a UAW member. That was in 1968 to 1971. I’ve tried to turn my life around. Am I still on the enemies list?

claudius on February 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Very possible Clint has had his “Dixie Chick” moment.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Nah, he openly stated today he is an admirer of Gov. Brown. Same Brown that set once great state of CA on the road to ruin in late 70s’. And the state he will put in coffin with his current governing, it seems. I did some more poking around and it seems Clint is only “conservative” when it comes to his own money. Add another one to the list of RINOs, GULAG (aka State of CA) is full of them.

riddick on February 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM

verbaluce on February 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I refer to him as Turdboy, but SCOAMF will still do in a pinch.

swinia sutki on February 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Dearborn is Muslim country. Dearborn far exceeds Ann Arbor in the Muslim category.

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Touche’

no argument here………….

Katfish on February 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM

This actor clearly meant no harm, he thought he was supporting the American Spirit. It is possible now that he wonders if he has been used, and perhaps, the Obama administration could take a talking to from this guy now that he has our attention.

Millions of people who do not hang out on conservative blogs, watch Fox news 24/7 are not aware of the “traps” out there. They also are not aware of how…overly sensitive…our side is to slights.

There was nothing wrong with the message in that ad, what the guy didn’t know was that we are so upset over the government bailout of that company with money that was supposed to go to TARP, that we feel like they hired “our guy” to sell it to us again. With our money, in a super bowl ad which is the most expensive advertising possible.

Fleuries on February 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I don’t think the trolls on this site have the foggiest notion that what they believe is:

Down is Up
Right is Left

How do they even put their eyeliner on in the morning…

kirkill on February 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

When I saw this commercial,
It made me want to go out and buy a Ford. I think it’s a brilliant Ford ad.

Egfrow on February 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Fleuries on February 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Clint Eastwood is a liberal. There is no way around it. At minimum he’s a JFK style liberal but don’t doubt that he’s a Liberal. That would be more naive than believing he’d been duped as an actor.

Egfrow on February 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I’m simply amazed, that anyone could watch this thinly veiled Obama commercial, and get angry not with GM, but at people who thought it was a disgraceful shilling for a crony capitalist politician.

WTF?

So now, democrat party cronies, can plaster as much thinly veiled propaganda out there as they like.. and though it’s legal, we are supposed to say nothing, not even venture an opinion about it’s immorailty, because the cynics don’t believe anyone could ever be angry about anything… ever.

except of course, when their pet ox gets gored.

Look, Gm with complicit support from the democrat party turned a simple car commercial into a political statement, they can damn well duck, because the rocks thrown are well deserved.

Conservatives feel betrayed by Eastwood, who, some of us anyway, found him increasingly off the map several times over the years. He hasn’t really ever been one of us, just in comparison to Hollywood, anyone even mildly to the right, looks that way as leftwing as Hollywood has gotten.

Clint actually did have his Dixie Chix moment, I’m not buying or watching his films anymore.. you pander for the left, let them fund you. We still got Bruce Willis.. and he was cooler anyway, much better sense of humor.

mark81150 on February 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I just dont get this? Why so much stink about this ad. You know what football teams do in the locker room at halftime, if they are getting their butts kicked. They make BIG CHANGES. Sometimes as drastic as CHANGING QUARTERBACKS. I think this add isn’t all that bad(except it reminds me of the way Chrysler was bailed out).

It is half time in America.
We are getting our butts kicked.
It is time to change quarterbacks.
It is time for us to come together.
It is time to vote out Obama and the rest of the liberal progressives.

JeffVader on February 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

After the bailouts, I swore off GM forever anyway, I was already a Ford buyer.. but now, it’s even more certain, I’ll never buy from GM.

Let their CEO laugh about that when he’s going hat in hand to beg for more tax dollars,.. they may have made a profit this year, but the VOLT is a joke, and they will screw up again, GM only learned they can rip off the taxpayers, the shareholders, and they suffer no penalty.

Hubris will bite them,.. always does the fat dumb and happy.

mark81150 on February 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

It is half time in America.
We are getting our butts kicked.
It is time to change quarterbacks.
It is time for us to come together.
It is time to vote out Obama and the rest of the liberal progressives.

JeffVader on February 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

The only time GM or liberals want us to “come together” is when they mean, shut up and obey.. You’re right this may backfire on them. but they sent the message, they don’t want a change, just obedience.

There will be no unity, till the finger pointer and enemies list maker in chief is gone.

mark81150 on February 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I just dont get this? Why so much stink about this ad.

Have the loans the company took out been paid back?
Oh they havent.
So they aired commercial for millions that looks like a thinly vieled propaganda piece for the guy that gave them the money in the first place.

No problemo.

Do I need a sarc tag?

OpportunityCost on February 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM

If it’s only “half-time in America” does that mean that Chrysler will repay our $1.3 BILLION Dollars in the FOURTH Quarter?

Eastwood, a very average actor at best, has been on my “B” List for many years. He just downgraded himself to the Kathi Whatshername “D” List.

“A man’s got to know his limitations”, Clint.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM

It may be half time in America, but it’s time to change quarterbacks.

El Cid on February 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM

It may be half time in America, but it’s time to change quarterbacks.

El Cid

And what better way to make it up to everyone, than for the actor to do an ad just like it for the republican nominee, when we have one.

Fleuries on February 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Does anyone wonder if they were plagarizing Peggy Noonan, for Morning in America? (The Reagan Campaign)

Fleuries on February 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I lost a ton of respect for one of my childhood heros on superbowl sunday.

Make my day clint…..retire and never day another word.

Tim_CA on February 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Second thoughts on the Clint Eastwood/Chrysler ad: It’s for Obama.

Obama bailed out Chrysler. Now Chrysler makes out it is doing well. Point: Obama.

We often get down and there are bad times but the bad times get morphed from the bad times to people being angry and derisive about the bad times. People who are angry at Obama are the problem, not what the people are angry at. Point: Obama.

Reagan’s America is a shining city on a hill metaphor becomes it’s halftime in America metaphor (Obama likes to think of himself as one of the great Presidents), implying a second chance. It turns out that the team that was down at halftime turned the game around in the second half and won. Perfect. Point: Obama.

And, of course, the first half of a two-term president is approaching. Time for the second half. Point: Obama.

billrowe on February 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I was insulted by the Jeeps in the video… My 03 Liberty is the biggest piece of crap that I’ve ever owned. Going by what repairs I’ve had to do to the other new cars I’ve owned over the years… Not a single one cost me $1000 total for repairs during the first 100,000 miles…
By 90,000 miles I’ve done 3 of those expensive type repairs on this pile of poor design and drunken Union effort. And right now, it is down again… I haven’t had it looked at yet… but my guess is… here we go again.
Those 3 big repairs were on top of 2 recalls and a warranty covered $800 brake repair.
When I tried to sell it a few years ago, I received a single call… over a course of months… and they never called back… and it was listed below market… and I lowered that… Still crickets.
Never again will I be so stupid as to believe that anything made by Chrysler is worth owning. Honda… Ford… That’s it from now on.
I hope that Clint is rubbin his butt about now… heh…

RalphyBoy on February 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I almost threw up when I saw that ad during the Super Bowl. After Obama’s unlawful theft of GM & Chrysler on behalf of his union puppetmasters, I was already determined to never EVER buy another GM (Gummint Motors) or Chrysler product again. But that Superbowl ad just confirmed the wisdom of my decision.

And shame on Clint Eastwood for doing that ad. Retire already you crusty juggler!

CatchAll on February 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

We live with the constant military propaganda.

libfreeordie on February 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

No we don’t.

We live with the constant socialist propaganda.

blink on February 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

We live with both.

AttaBoyLuther on February 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

In case anyone is still on this thread, check out Rush’s “What Eastwood should have said” parody. Right now it’s on members only, but it’s priceless.

Christian Conservative on February 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Then you can continue cheering for Asian dominance over US companies.

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Chrysler isn’t a US company. It’s an Italian company. Wonder why? Thanks for playing.

runawayyyy on February 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I think people are being a little hard on Eastwood. He may not thought that much about it, given that a commercial voiceover is basically a one-day gig (or less). You come in one day, a representative from a car company, not the Obama campaign, hands you a script, you read the lines with little idea of what the finished production is going to be like, collect your check, and leave. Etc.

kd6rxl on February 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I think people are being a little hard on Eastwood. He may not thought that much about it, given that a commercial voiceover is probably a one-day gig (or less). You come in one morning, a representative from a car company, not the Obama campaign, hands you a script, you read the lines in front of a green screen with little idea of what the finished production is going to be like, redo some of them, collect your check, and leave. Etc.

kd6rxl on February 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Two members of the creative team that produced the two-minute minute spot for ad agency Wieden+Kennedy donated their personal time in 2008 to make pro-Obama art.

This year’s most discussed Super Bowl ad—a two-minute spot for Chrysler narrated by Clint Eastwood—continues to generate controversy in conservative political circles, where a host of questions have been raised about the automaker’s alleged motives for commissioning the advertisement.
In the days ahead, similar politically charged queries also are likely to be raised about the highly regarded Portland Oregon-based ad agency that produced the spot—Wieden+Kennedy, some of whose key creative professionals privately supported Barack Obama in the 2008 election.

J_Crater on February 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM