Video: Chrysler ad a stealth Obama promotion?; Update: Video restored

posted at 3:40 pm on February 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Did Chrysler buy two minutes of the most expensive television time possible to air a stealth promotion for Barack Obama? Clint Eastwood narrates and appears in Chrysler’s spot, in which he declares that we have reached “halftime in America,” which seems to hint at a two-term Presidency for Obama:

Politico covers the controversy:

“It’s halftime. Both teams are in their locker rooms discussing what they can do to win this game in the second half. It’s halftime in America, too.” Eastwood says. “People are out of work and they’re hurting. And they’re all wondering what they’re gonna do to make a comeback.”

Pointing to improvement in the auto industry as a positive sign, the “Dirty Harry” star goes on, “Detroit’s showing us it can be done. …This country can’t be knocked out with one punch. We get right back up again and when we do, the world is going to hear the roar of our engines.”

Though the commercial didn’t mention any politicians by name, Twitter quickly lit up with speculation: Was Eastwood giving props to President Obama for bailing out the auto industry?  And was the ad a veiled endorsement of his re-election?

David Axelrod, a top campaign adviser to Obama, seemed quick to interpret it that way, calling the ad a “powerful spot.”

Karl Rove blasted the ad as offensive on Fox News this morning, as did the Boss Emeritus yesterday:

“I was, frankly, offended by it,” said Karl Rove on Fox News Monday. “I’m a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, I thought it was an extremely well-done ad, but it is a sign of what happens when you have Chicago-style politics, and the president of the United States and his political minions are, in essence, using our tax dollars to buy corporate advertising.”

“Agh. WTH?” tweeted conservative commentator Michelle Malkin. “Did I just see Clint Eastwood fronting an auto bailout ad???”

Kyle Wingfield of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution found it equally offensive as a piece of taxpayer-funded propaganda:

But the halftime Chrysler commercial starring Clint Eastwood, describing America as being in its own “halftime,” was just overtly politicized. After all, what else could “halftime” have meant, in the year 2012, than halfway through the eight years Barack Obama would be president if re-elected this fall? I’m fairly certain it wasn’t a prediction that the country will break up circa 2248 A.D.

Chrysler of course has a right to political speech. But it would be nice if the company wouldn’t be so brazen about its leanings while still owing the entire country — left, right and center — billions of dollars.

Chrysler denies having a political motive in mind, presumably other than making the argument for the bailout, which the ad does very clearly if not quite explicitly.  Their CEO laughably asks that “it doesn’t get utilized in as political fodder in a debate” after spending millions of dollars during the Super Bowl proclaiming the wisdom of the bailout.  Maybe if Chrysler had stuck to promoting its latest models rather than complaining about Americans debating over policy and then declaring America in its “halftime,” Sergio Marchionne wouldn’t have to hope that his car company would get excused from political debates in the future.  Sounds like the same kind of whining that led to the bailout in the first place.

Eastwood’s involvement in this issue is rather ironic, since — as the Washington Post points out in its coverage — Eastwood opposed the auto bailouts:

“I’ve always been very liberal when it comes to people thinking for themselves,” said Eastwood, who supports gay marriage, abortion rights and environmental protection. “But I’m a big hawk on cutting the deficit. I was against the stimulus thing too. We shouldn’t be bailing out the banks and car companies. If a CEO can’t figure out how to make his company profitable, then he shouldn’t be the CEO.”

Well, Clint, I hope the paycheck from the endorsement made your day, and, er … hope it clears, too.  Sounds as though Eastwood switched teams at his halftime.

Update (Allahpundit): Oddly enough, the White House seems okay with it.

Update (Ed): YouTube pulled the ad after Chrysler claimed its posting violated its copyright. I got the new code from Politico, which seems to have a little more testicular fortitude than YouTube and its parent, Google.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I heard that in Detroit, there are so many foreclosed homes, that the govt is now offering $100 a month rent for some of them

ConservativePartyNow on February 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

..I am beginning to appreciate — nay, envy — your style. Commentary with facts and links to back it up. This pictorial comparison of Hiroshima versus Detroit is staggeringly stupefying!

The War Planner on February 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Facts? That’s not even Hiroshima. It’s Yokohama. Granted Hiroshima isn’t bad, buts its nowhere near as shiny and grand as Yokohama.

Daikokuco on February 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

A Response to Clint Eastwood’s Super Bowl Ad
—Ace

At Verum Serum.

Your ad, good as it is, just doesn’t reckon with the reality we’re facing and, more importantly, neither does President Obama. We’re $15 trillion dollars in debt. That’s money being loaded on future generations, including your kids and mine. Is it fair to ask people not yet born to pull together to shoulder our burdens? Because that’s the core of the disagreement on the field, Clint. It really does matter which team wins this one.

We desperately need a President who can get us to pull together for the good of the country (read: suck it up and pay our own way). But that’s not who we have in office. Not even close, Clint. According to the actual polling, Obama is the most divisive President in recent history. But that’s only part of it.

And, oh, by the way, he’s not a big fan of roaring engines, Clint. He forced through new CAFE standards that could mean the end of 8 cylinder production engines on all but a few cars. Obama wants America to roar? Only with 4 cylinder diesel-hybrids. Maybe that’s your idea of a kick-ass America but it’s not mine.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Man o man Chrysler. Going for bankruptcy only to get picked up by Daimler, who did their dead level best to at least get some decent parts around the power they produced.

Wrong.

Chrysler had lots of cold hard cash in the bank when they were taken over by the Germans who did their best to ransack the company and make them a captured partner they could sell overpriced parts to while reducing thier own costs by forcing Mopar to use Benz parts.

You are totally wrong.

gdonovan on February 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I blame Bush
liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

‘Nuff said!

Marcola on February 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Obama’s new slogan: “It’s Tee time in America”

portlandon on February 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I was totally offended that Eastwood would even contemplate to promote a Hussein Motors company. The list of RINOs is growing by the day, or is it by the hour?

riddick on February 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Is Chrysler even an American company? I think they should be more interested in advertising on the World Cup, these days. That audience is much more pro-bailout and loves the unions, too.

Chrysler should have been allowed to die the death that it will eventually find on its own. It’s a cr@ppy company.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

There’s nothing unseemly or controversial about an actor acting for money. Anyone who feels this way is attacking capitalism and just doesn’t understand how the system is supposed to work!!! This line of socialist agitation is one thing from the left, but me and Mitt Romney expected better of the HotGas crowd!!

abobo on February 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Amazing that we have come to a day that its more American to buy a Honda or Toyota.

KMav on February 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

We own a Honda, a Toyota and a Ford. And all three of them have been dependable.

jazzuscounty on February 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Can someone ‘splain to me “Imported From Detroit.” That slogan seems to be more offputting than engendering a sense of ‘we’re all in this together.” Not impressed … just disappointed at the mixed message.

Monkeybrains220 on February 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Daikokuco on February 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I was referring to Resist We’s other posts — particularly the BLS stats. Thank you for calling that to my attention. I did NOT know that was Yokohama but and Mrs War Planner and I have been up and down Japan a lot (she was born and raised in Hamamatsu and went to school in Nagoya) and can testify to the vitality and industriousness of cities like Hiroshima, Nagoya, Yokaichi, etc. Hell, even Fukuoka looks better off than Detroit.

..as you can as well, I am sure, Daikokuc[h]o-san.

The War Planner on February 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Obama’s new slogan: “It’s Tee time in America”

portlandon on February 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

..ho..ho..ho..ha..ha..ha..ha..hee..hee..chortle..snork..giggle..giggle.

Uncommonly funny, sir!

The War Planner on February 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

-Obama has ended the illegal Bush war in Irag.

You mean the one authorized by Congress? You know that the wording of the Bush authorization for war was taken from U.N. resolution 1441 which was supported the Clinton administration? You remember him, the other draft dodger, that you probably voted for?

-showed you right wingers how to remove a dictator without a single American troop on the ground.

So, you agree that Saddam was a dictator? He never violated international law right? And Obama did nothing, now we have another potential Islamic theocracy to deal with.

Gaddafi is dead. I could careless how much this cost because to me the price of one dead America soldier is priceless

Care less is two words. Is the price of one dead American soldier priceless because, since you are a liberal, you have an instinctual hatred of the American military and you are happy to see them dead? Explain.

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

celtnik on February 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

looks like clint gave a statement to o’reilly’s people. he mentions chrysler didnt have cars in the ad

i didnt watch the whole thing but i saw a dodge ram truck, jeep comanche and a chrysler challenger. guess he needs to pay more attention to what he’s endorsing/promoting

chasdal on February 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

The War Planner on February 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Thank you kindly, sir. Here are some more pics that will blow your mind:

If you’re interested, these are a couple of my most recent pieces:

He Ain’t St. Levi, He’s His Brother’s Tax Collector … What Jesus Really Thought About Taxes

(I happen to be an atheist, but lefties have been reacting to this piece like vampires to a crucifix. It’s been quite entertaining to read their full freakout mail.)

Ann (Coulter) Disaster

PS: I don’t make any money off of my blog so I am not peddling. I don’t place any advertisements on it. :-)

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Chrysler ad a stealth Obama promotion?

Duh. Spare us your lefty bullsh!t, Sergio. And while we’re here, GO Fuc**k Yourself, O’Bozo.

Jaibones on February 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

celtnik on February 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

celtnik!…there is a reason I call ‘IT’…lobotomy4life

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

You actually believe that there weren’t any American boots on the ground?

There’s a falling down bridge in my hometown of Londonistan that I’d like to sell you. lol.

BTW, when did it become our responsibility to remove dictators? Are we going to remove Assad? Ahmadinejad? The Egyptian junta that is holding 19 Americans, including the Secretary of Transportation’s son, hostage? How about Lil’ Kim’s Lil’ Kim?

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

…and potentially poised to liquidate…”

Jay Carney needs to utter not another word to demonstrate his profound stupidity. And remember…he’s smarter than O’Bozo.

Jaibones on February 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Daikokuco on February 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

That is a mixture of Hiroshima and Yokohama (more latter than former). The ones with the Ferris Wheel and the tower are Yokohama. The ones with the Y-shaped highway exchange next to the port look like the are actually Hiroshima.

Google image search for Hiroshima night view.

Google image search for Yokohama night view.

Still, the point is well made.

Pattosensei on February 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Clint’s next commercial will be for Depends.

BHO Jonestown on February 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Daikokuco on February 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Well, this

is

Detroit, which

was

the point.

There is a terrific book that I encourage everyone to view by two French photographers, Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre. Here are some of their photographs from Time:

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Did Clint understand that Chrysler is owned by the UAW, Fiat?

Seems that is a yet to be discussed issue.

Oh, and the Fiat op’s? They’re based in… Mexico!

Yeah, it’s 1/2 time alright.

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Good grief. Sorry about that. It’s getting late here. :-)

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM

abobo on February 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

You know the difference between a prostitute and a politician? Even a prostitute won’t do some things for money.

Spare me and others your BS about understanding capitalism. Only a moron could ever call me a socialist agitator. I willingly lost my business because I refused to stay silent with my mostly progressive liberal Wall Street and Hollywood “learned society” clients. Eastwood, like the idiot he supports, has no principles despite all his BS proclamations. Add your boy Romney to this list, same lying, liberal/progressive sack of s__t hiding out as a Republican.

riddick on February 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM

As my ever-optimistic bride put it, yes it is half-time, and America is losing, and it’s time for a new game plan, and a new quarterback.

cntrlfrk on February 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Seems to me some people want a bad economy for political gain. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I get reading some of these responses

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

As always, you’re wrong, and your strawmen are far too obvious. What people want is for business to be run based simply upon supply and demand. If a company cannot compete, it should fold. If it is bailed out by government, it will continue to fail, continue to not compete, and eventually it will fold anyway, but it will have taken with it money of taxpayers who shouldn’t have lost money to it.

I apologize if that isn’t simple enough for you.

Freelancer on February 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Clint’s another one who thinks Obama’s a “nice guy”.

And that’s a quote.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Monkeybrains220 on February 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Do a bit of reading………..about OH – Ann Arbor
(aka a large Detroit suburb)……….this area is as close to a Muslim Country as anywhere in Norte Amerika……..the term “import” makes perfect sense from this desk……………sadly………

Katfish on February 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Uhh, it’s Chrysler, folks. Government largesse, i.e. our taxes, will not win after halftime. IMHO, it’s the 2:00 minute warning.

MNDavenotPC on February 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I won’t go near a GM, a Chrysler, OR a Ford. The companies aren’t the problem, the problem with American or so-called American car companies is the greedy UAW. Little Bammie didn’t bail out GM and Chrysler, he bailed out the UAW.

You have to consider that when you write a check to GM, Chrysler or Ford, some of that money is peeled off and sent to little Bammie for his election campaign. I can’t stomach that. It’s like giving the mugger some cartridges for his gun.

Look for automobiles made in America by Americans without the involvement of the greedy UAW.

slickwillie2001 on February 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

People are upset not by the commercial itself but what the Obamaites said about it after. When are smart people going to learn that the Obamaites will use them and throw them away?

casel21 on February 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Is Clint another example of Sullivan’s law? (John Sullivan, former editor-in-chief of National Review)

“If anything (or anyone) is not explicitly Right wing, it will eventually become Left wing.”

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

slickwillie2001 on February 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

True, but I’ll give Ford a pass for not taking any bailout money.

chewmeister on February 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

slickwillie2001 on February 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Go easy on Ford, they resisted and refused any bailout and they came out ahead.

I luvs my Nissan Murano! Built right here in America, and she runs like a top. Keep your eye on Huyndai. They’re the next Nissan.

Now that I think of it, my very first car was a Buick; owned by my friend’s grandmother. It ran for about 292 miles after I bought it. All Progressive Motors (we now know who they are) have expiration dates connected to odometers.. 110k and you’re done.

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Jimmy Carter Era pro-Union tee vee comercial.

LOL!

Union + Democrat = …

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Jimmy Carter Era pro-Union tee vee comercial.

LOL!

Union + Democrat = …

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

At one time unions were a means to keep blacks out of the better trade jobs, so it meshes well with the history of the democrat party.

slickwillie2001 on February 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Wow, REAL Americuh is pretty upset about this car commercial. Good news and optimism is bad!!!!

KeninCT on February 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

You broke my heart, Fredo Clint. You broke my heart!

shades_of_gasden on February 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

But Clint Eastwood is an actor. That means he knows more than us non-actor mortals.

Crusty on February 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

You have to see everything through a political lens to view the ad as relevant to Obama.

Eastwood’s metaphorical point of reference is the United States as a manufacturing power that’s been knocked off its pedestal by a crippling economic crisis and the rise of new industrial powers, most importantly China. Until I read this article, the political angle never even came to mind.

That’s completely false. Both Bush and Obama followed a course to fundamentally restructure and fix the auto companies, which are now thriving and solid businesses. It’s incredible that your hatred for unions runs so deep that you’d rather see the jobs destroyed, never to return. Guess what- it doesn’t matter if those jobs are in Michigan or Tennessee. Both union and non-union jobs keep this country employed and protect the middle class .

It’s also hard to understand why some people champion non-union jobs at foreign manufacturers. Toyota also manufactures cars in Thailand- and that doesn’t make Thailand a serious manufacturing power. You need to imagine a greater place for the United States and its citizens than as the outsourcing sweatshop of Germany and Japan. I think America is destined for something more important, and that includes the ownership and control of major auto manufacturers.

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Wrong.

You are totally wrong.

gdonovan on February 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

You must be in the business here in Michigan…because you know what went on. They had a lot of cash…that was gone in no time! (to the rest of you-the grand cherokee and the charger ARE nice cars)

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

The idea that this is somehow a subtle Eastwood endorsement of Obama is too ludicrous to be taken seriously. Eastwood, an actor, got paid to do a feel-good, overwrought, Super Bowl commercial rooted in the sort of simplistic but tasty jingoism that was a staple of the Reagan presidency.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Some people think too much — and do it poorly.

urban elitist on February 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

KeninCT on February 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

REAL Indiana schoolteachers, policemen, and firefighters would like some of the UAW’s “good news and optimism” in the form of “reparations” (I know how you Progs just LOVE that word) for the pensions funds it looted.

Belly up to the bar, boys, and pay your tab.

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Wrong.

You are totally wrong.

gdonovan on February 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

That’s exactly right. Chrysler was running strong before Daimler made the completely visionless acquisition and tried to transform it into an empty vassal under its new German masters.

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Jimmy Carter Era pro-Union tee vee comercial.

LOL!

Union + Democrat = …

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

That was funny Key!
I think I saw the Chinese girl in there, from Pete Hoekstra’s DebbieSpenditNow.com ad!

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

“I’m a big hawk on cutting the deficit. I was against the stimulus thing too. We shouldn’t be bailing out the banks and car companies. If a CEO can’t figure out how to make his company profitable, then he shouldn’t be the CEO.”

- Clint Eastwood, November 2011

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

urban elitist on February 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

(Rolled a big fat one for yourself tonight,didn’t you?)

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Up to now, we’ve been loyal to the big three US auto makers, but never again. Wife will be needing a new car soon and we’ve been researching for about six months. We’re leaning toward a Subaru, made in Lafayette, Indiana, by non-union Americans. Yeah, I know, it’s a moonbat car.

Norky on February 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

l am certainly not politically affiliated with Mr. Obama. It was meant to be a message about just about job growth and the spirit of America. I think all politicians will agree with it. I thought the spirit was OK.

Clint has always had conservative tendencies mixed with some liberal ones. I don’t know if we can expect too much from a Hollywood actor but all things considered, he’s not too bad. His intentions here seem genuine and meant to help revitalize the American car industry, despite it’s gaping flaws.

Clint has made too many politically incorrect movies in his career and has said too many politically incorrect statements(consistently and as recently as last year) for me to outright dismiss him entirely. He’s earned a little benefit of the doubt from me at least.

Dongemaharu on February 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Monkeybrains220 on February 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Do a bit of reading………..about OH – Ann Arbor

Katfish on February 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Dearborn is Muslim country. Dearborn far exceeds Ann Arbor in the Muslim category.

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Jaibones on February 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Ed, please explain what is the difference in this post and the one that got haner booted. Both times the whole word is spelled out in full. Please remedy this.

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM

My son has a 1996 Ford Taurus SHO with 272,000 miles on it. Puts 1 quart of oil in it every month. Does not leak. Just disappears like stimulus money! EPA has not knocked on our door yet.

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

How special- no shortage of bigoted comments. Are you suggesting that American auto-makers are run by Islamic terrorists? Do you feel safer in the hands of auto-maker masters from Japan and Germany?

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

American taxpayer funded Fiat ad, I guess it’s cheaper and faster than spitting on us individually.

Cindy Munford on February 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Oh, we had two 1989 SHO’s they had Yamaha sixes and were much fun to drive.

Cindy Munford on February 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

You are totally wrong.

gdonovan on February 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

+100. I worked for one of Chrysler’s promotion agencies in the 1990s. The problem Chrysler had was Lee Iacocca detested vice chairman Bob Lutz and instead picked GM’s Bob Eaton as his successor. With the product pipeline Iacocca left, a chimp could have run Chrysler in the mid 1990s and done very well. Eaton made a personal fortune selling Chrysler, which had more cash on hand than Diamler, to Diamler. Eaton negotiated a deal with Daimler in which he stayed on as vice chairman for a few years and walked away with about $60 million from Daiumler.

Lutz was a great auto guy and would have taken Chrysler to new heights. Iacocca admits Eaton was the worst mistake of his career.

bw222 on February 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

It’s probably already been mentioned here, but as Mark Steyn noted today, Italian auto maker Fiat owns 60% of Chrysler and the UAW and Canadian Auto Workers control the remaining 40%.

bw222 on February 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I guess my question “how the hell does Clint deal with Freeman each day” has been answered…

I am a huge Eastwood fan – but this is just silly. Dirty Harry, The Man with No Name, Gran Tourism – all have a common theme.

And it isn’t liberal.

Odie1941 on February 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

How is that bigoted, pinhead? Both Ann Arbor and Dearborn have large Muslim populations. Merely stating facts is not bigoted.

chewmeister on February 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I am of the opinion that old Clint just lost about 50% of his fans. I don’t believe it is halftime in America; I believe we are behind and heading into the fourth quarter.

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

That was a 2 minute spot and 30 second Super Bowl commercials cost $3.5 million. Assuming Chrysler got a discount, theyt still paid over $10 million for airtime plus production costs. There’s nothing in the commercial telling you why you should buy a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram. It does promote Zero.

bw222 on February 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

KeninCT on February 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Not a car commercial at all. Purely a political statement. What car models were they trying to sell?

chewmeister on February 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Well, this is why I drive a Toyota.

NoLeftTurn on February 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I believe there’s still time to fix our problems. It’s not going to be a perfect solution and all parties must be willing to compromis. Otherwise nothing will happen.

It’s also going to take more intelligence from both sides of the aisles than the 30 second sound bytes issues that fail to address some of the deeper problems that keep this country from competing not only with China, but with Germans and countries in northern Europe. America has become too fat, lazy and mediocre to win against the smartest global workforces. Even some of the more socializied countries in Europe are beating us- and that’s completely unacceptable. Our policies continue to reflect a naive level of faith in semi-trade that drains US wealth. And obviously spending / revenue must be addressed.

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Clint’s next commercial will be for Depends.

BHO Jonestown on February 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

…. or reverse mortgages like Fred Thompson.

bw222 on February 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Dude, Toyota and Nissan have owned the car industry for decades.

BTW, virtually every large metropolitan city has an area called “China Town”. Its a destination for food, entertainment, and shopping. No one flings the racist or bigot card when a white person says “Lets head to China Town for take-out”.

Why? Why can’t Michigan be referred to as “Michiganistan”?

BobMbx on February 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Interesting projections on your part, racist.

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

It’s halftime in America .. and the union’s going down.

kregg on February 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM

bayam on February 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

chewmeister on February 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Bayam doesn’t understand facts. Thanks for seeing I was merely stating a fact chewmeister. Very frustrating talking to liberal morons who see racism, bigots through their own projections.

Conservative4Ever on February 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

And it isn’t liberal.

Odie1941 on February 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Have you ever heard an interview with Clint on his political views? He may not be a Liberal, per se, but at best, he’s what you would call a squish.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yeah, Detroit is doing so well that the Governor is ready to call in an Emergency Manager to take over the government that get them back from the verge of bankruptcy. That means that he will have the power to disband the corrupt city council, renegotiate all contracts with the unions and venders and try to keep the city from defaulting on the $40 million that they are in the red. Yeah, Clint, they’ve really come back alright.
I used to respect Clint Eastwood, apparently he too had gone over the deep end or he realllllllly needed a lot of cash to finance his next movie!

flytier on February 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Yeah its become that way. But take a look at the classic film Chinatown. Before the Chinese managed to move *out* of China town (outside of NY very few ‘chinatowns’ even have Chinese people in them) their neighborhoods were viewed as vice dens, they were seen as scary places that respectable (read white) people did not go. But more than that, “chinatown” was a way of ensuring that Chinese people stay in “their” part of towh. It sounds nice, like “oh here’s a little section for you.” But the point is that its a “little section” and Chinese people were expected to stay there. Hopefully we’ve learned something since we used to mark off cities by racial and ethnic boundaries, bondaries that didn’t just say “oh you can get some good fried rice here.” But the idea of a Michiginstan suggests we haven’t come as far as conservatives are always patting themselves on the back for.

libfreeordie on February 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Great.

Just great.

It’s half time in America… just friggin’ great.

That means we’re about to be treated to some more Madonna-generated gay bar gayness that couldn’t get get any gayer if Anderson Cooper showed up shirtless wearing a fireman’s helmet.

Great.

M240H on February 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Nothing ‘stealthy’ about it. ‘It’s half time america’ [in the middle of two terms of Obama]

It was almost as insipid as the begs-the-question intro of this topic. And there was nothing in it about Chrysler’s product. It was entirely ‘pay to play’. Now watch what kind of quid pro quo Chrylser gets from the Obama czars in coming months.

rayra on February 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Great.

M240H on February 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

LOL

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

he’s what you would call a squish.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

He’s more libertarian. Squishes are the soft conservative nanny-state social engineers.

John the Libertarian on February 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Son and his wife moved to Ypsilanti recently (not by choice). We told them “whatever you do, don’t go near Detroit for ANYTHING”.
Needless to say, they didn’t listen and took a drive to Detroit, one weekend. They were completely traumatized by the experience and swore to never go back. Son said it looked like a war zone or a scene from the movie Escape from New York.

Norky on February 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Clint’s kids are trying to intervene. Dirty Harry has become Nutty Harry. Sad but true.

BHO Jonestown on February 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM

riddick on February 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Seriously, what part of Eastwood doing the ad doesn’t promote free enterprise?
He got paid for doing an AD. That is what Free Enterprise is all about.

Do my comments mean I approve of his specific comments? NO!

It means I approve of capitalism. He.Got.Paid.

That is capitalism.

ladyingray on February 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM

John the Libertarian on February 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Then he’s a squishy Libertarian.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM

The Chevy apocalypse ad was worse. Flat out p’d me off. Just no way an American taxpayer-supported company should be taking cheap shots at another American company (Ford) that has succeeded without sucking at the public teat. Not only that, Ford trucks beat the tar out of Chevy’s.

Arnold Yabenson on February 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Great.

Just great.

It’s half time in America… just friggin’ great.

Great.

M240H on February 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Please stand by. A Romney Supporter will be here shortly to call you a homophobe.

Norky on February 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

KeninCT on February 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

There’s optimism and then there’s whistling past the graveyard.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

The Chevy apocalypse

Arnold Yabenson on February 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Is that a new 2013 model.

Norky on February 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM

The fact that you see a “hint” is this is…goofy. This was an America, —- yeah ad, without partisan leanings. In fact, that was part of the point.

Hubris on February 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Clint goes “Full Obama Retard”.

BHO Jonestown on February 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Man, I come to HA to get a taste of the anti-Obama id, and you guys never fail to reassure me of the likelihood of his re-election. I mean, you ppl are actually angry about a car commercial for an American car company aired during halftime of the Super Bowl, narrated by Clint Eastwood! How much more American can you get than that? This is where you want to plant your flag? Really?! Yeah I’m feeling pretty bullish on Obama thanks to you guys. Thanks for the encouragement HA!

underceij on February 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I saw the ad. Did not see any others. Frankly, I was offended that they made it sound like we came together to do the right thing, when that was not the case at all. I did not volunteer my tax dollars to bail out the auto industry, I mean union pension plans.

Mr_Magoo on February 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

underceij on February 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Well, perhaps you shouldn’t come here then.

Norky on February 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

If it’s halftime in America, then we need to pull the QB.

LOL!

(I saw this via #tcot on twitter)

TN Mom on February 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Hubris on February 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Yea, well maybe you should go back and read the script… Much of the narration was offensive to me, including the end of it. We did not put aside our differences and save them. That is a blatant lie. Our tax dollars were hijaaked and used in spite of our protests. I’m sure there are plenty of things your taxes go to that you do not approve of. If it were put the way this commercial was, you would be offended too.

Mr_Magoo on February 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Man, the stuff that upsets some folks…
gotta wonder how they make it through the day.
“You just drank your coffee in a pro-Obama style. I am offended!”.
More importantly, why no concern over Clint’s nipple slip in the ad.
Quite clear. just watch the ad over and over and over again.
You will either be truly outraged, or you will buy a Dodge Ram truck…

verbaluce on February 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Mr_Magoo on February 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’m part of the anti-war left, believe me, I get it. We live with the constant military propaganda. You get used to it, just quit acting so butt hurt. Conservatives really are used to getting their own way all the time huh.

libfreeordie on February 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

verbaluce on February 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I wonder which is worse. Folks being upset about a pro-BHO super bowl ad, or folks being upset about the folks that are upset about the ad.

Norky on February 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I always took him for a libertarian. But if he’s going to shill for a pinko and endorse auto bailouts then I’m afraid he’s going to have to be written off as another casualty of Hollywood stupidity which seems to affect about 95% of the people working in the industry. Of course, if could be that, like many celebrities, he never stopped to think that the supposed values and beliefs he espoused were grossly out of step with his deeds and actions. This would be nothing new. Nevertheless, it’s very disappointing.

NoLeftTurn on February 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

“The rules for football are ordered toward the goal of the game, which is to win, and the rules impact a team’s ability to achieve the goal. A team that has more points than its opposition at the end of the game wins. The rules must be strictly honored, however, if a team is to move down the field in a sustained effort to score points. Infractions of the rules—encroachment, pass interference, unnecessary roughness, etc.— are met with penalties of various lengths of yards, which send a team in the wrong direction. Persistent or untimely violation of the rules severely hampers a team’s chances of scoring and eventually winning. Rule infractions and penalties are self-defeating: A team must move forward toward its goal if it hopes to win.”

Don DeMarco

And yeah, that is the way the game is played. Here’s more.

Read it all HERE.