Video: Chrysler ad a stealth Obama promotion?; Update: Video restored

posted at 3:40 pm on February 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Did Chrysler buy two minutes of the most expensive television time possible to air a stealth promotion for Barack Obama? Clint Eastwood narrates and appears in Chrysler’s spot, in which he declares that we have reached “halftime in America,” which seems to hint at a two-term Presidency for Obama:

Politico covers the controversy:

“It’s halftime. Both teams are in their locker rooms discussing what they can do to win this game in the second half. It’s halftime in America, too.” Eastwood says. “People are out of work and they’re hurting. And they’re all wondering what they’re gonna do to make a comeback.”

Pointing to improvement in the auto industry as a positive sign, the “Dirty Harry” star goes on, “Detroit’s showing us it can be done. …This country can’t be knocked out with one punch. We get right back up again and when we do, the world is going to hear the roar of our engines.”

Though the commercial didn’t mention any politicians by name, Twitter quickly lit up with speculation: Was Eastwood giving props to President Obama for bailing out the auto industry?  And was the ad a veiled endorsement of his re-election?

David Axelrod, a top campaign adviser to Obama, seemed quick to interpret it that way, calling the ad a “powerful spot.”

Karl Rove blasted the ad as offensive on Fox News this morning, as did the Boss Emeritus yesterday:

“I was, frankly, offended by it,” said Karl Rove on Fox News Monday. “I’m a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, I thought it was an extremely well-done ad, but it is a sign of what happens when you have Chicago-style politics, and the president of the United States and his political minions are, in essence, using our tax dollars to buy corporate advertising.”

“Agh. WTH?” tweeted conservative commentator Michelle Malkin. “Did I just see Clint Eastwood fronting an auto bailout ad???”

Kyle Wingfield of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution found it equally offensive as a piece of taxpayer-funded propaganda:

But the halftime Chrysler commercial starring Clint Eastwood, describing America as being in its own “halftime,” was just overtly politicized. After all, what else could “halftime” have meant, in the year 2012, than halfway through the eight years Barack Obama would be president if re-elected this fall? I’m fairly certain it wasn’t a prediction that the country will break up circa 2248 A.D.

Chrysler of course has a right to political speech. But it would be nice if the company wouldn’t be so brazen about its leanings while still owing the entire country — left, right and center — billions of dollars.

Chrysler denies having a political motive in mind, presumably other than making the argument for the bailout, which the ad does very clearly if not quite explicitly.  Their CEO laughably asks that “it doesn’t get utilized in as political fodder in a debate” after spending millions of dollars during the Super Bowl proclaiming the wisdom of the bailout.  Maybe if Chrysler had stuck to promoting its latest models rather than complaining about Americans debating over policy and then declaring America in its “halftime,” Sergio Marchionne wouldn’t have to hope that his car company would get excused from political debates in the future.  Sounds like the same kind of whining that led to the bailout in the first place.

Eastwood’s involvement in this issue is rather ironic, since — as the Washington Post points out in its coverage — Eastwood opposed the auto bailouts:

“I’ve always been very liberal when it comes to people thinking for themselves,” said Eastwood, who supports gay marriage, abortion rights and environmental protection. “But I’m a big hawk on cutting the deficit. I was against the stimulus thing too. We shouldn’t be bailing out the banks and car companies. If a CEO can’t figure out how to make his company profitable, then he shouldn’t be the CEO.”

Well, Clint, I hope the paycheck from the endorsement made your day, and, er … hope it clears, too.  Sounds as though Eastwood switched teams at his halftime.

Update (Allahpundit): Oddly enough, the White House seems okay with it.

Update (Ed): YouTube pulled the ad after Chrysler claimed its posting violated its copyright. I got the new code from Politico, which seems to have a little more testicular fortitude than YouTube and its parent, Google.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I thought that ad sucked balls. I could tell it was a fluff propaganda piece. It was neither inspiring, nor encouraging. All of us on the superbowl open thread panned it.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Obama insists on getting the pre-big sport event interview, then his car company buys two minutes at half time.

It’s just not American. It’s totalitarian. I expect an Obama card section during the world series.

MayBee on February 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I think it’s good news unemployment keeps dropping and thousands of jobs being added. I’m happy for all those thousands of Americans who got jobs last month.

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Thoughts on the number of folks dropping out of the workforce altogether, or those under-employed?

tdpwells on February 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Please you idiot – there would be NO Chrysler today if not for the enabling of the Bush administration.

HondaV65 on February 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM

And there should be no Chrysler today! That’s the way a free market works. Creative destruction. It is a self-correcting system.

Kaffa on February 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

troyriser_gopftw on February 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

well stated!

Dr. Demento on February 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I don’t know about all that, but everything Chrysler makes that is offered with a V8 is attractive. Who knows how long it will stay that way.

DFCtomm on February 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM

CAFE Average
Fifty-Two Miles Per Gallon
No Room for V-8s

Haiku Guy on February 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

It’s halftime, our side is down by trillions, and our starters are a bunch of half-wits who don’t understand the meaning, purpose, or rules of the game. It’s time to boot the entire line-up and try a new game plan with a fresh team; unfortunately, our bench is paper thin.

AZCoyote on February 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Which is the same standard used to calculate unemployment under Bush.

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

you’re a moron. by their own numbers there are fewer workers than in 1983. I’ll give you the 243,000 jobs on the plus in January if you give me the 1.2 million minus over the same time

DanMan on February 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Are these McJobs or real jobs? Or does that question not get asked any more because Booooooosh is out of office?

JadeNYU on February 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Seriously, all of you are looking way too into this, this is an advertisement. Chrysler is trying to repair it’s imagine, representing Detroit (Imported from Detroit is their current ad tagline, it’s bold and even controversial in some respects, yet that’s the point, to get people talking). The ad itself here, similar to last years, is suppose to grab you, give you a strong connection. Now some, obviously here, go directly to the bailouts and dismiss it. Yet I’m sure Chrysler wasn’t going for the demographic that was going to trash them no matter what.

It is the most talked about ad, people are talking, giving praise and criticism. In other words, it worked. Now, will it drive any sales?

DanStark on February 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Any ad for Chrysler or GM is, by definition, an ad for the Obama administration.

Right Mover on February 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I don’t see the ‘half-time’ reference as anything having to do with Obama’s term, especially since the bailouts started under Bush. It seemed to me to be just an overwrought ‘thanks for the bailout’ by Chrysler.

changer1701 on February 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM

By a Democrat Congress if we’re getting technical. Kinda hard to blame Congress for everything NOW but not the last 2 years of Bush.

Wagthatdog on February 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

cripe…the former gop mayor of carmel got snookered…

cmsinaz on February 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Somewhere along the line, Dirty Harry has morphed into Dingy Harry! What a disappointment!

tomshup on February 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Sometimes we need to put politics aside and look out for America.

For me it is always America first, party second

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Okay, El Presidente Downgrade has been proven time and again to be incompetent – so would you agree for the good of the country that we need to put an end to the error of the Downgrade Administration and have some real Positive change.

That would seem to be our only Hope.

Do you agree with that assessment?

Chip on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Did you also notice that Eli Manning did NOT get a Chevy Volt for winning SB MVP??? He got a Corvette.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

yes it was a campaign commercial for Obama, no doubt about it. surely that doesn’t surprise anyone I hope.

exceller on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Fiat, which owns a majority stake in Chrysler, just had an advertising kerfuffle with JLo involved.

The advert, in which the star professes her love for her home-town of the Bronx, has already come under heavy criticism after it emerged that she did not even set foot in the the New York borough for filming.

After it emerged Lopez never left the West Coast and instead used a body double and shot most of the scenes in LA…

Fallon on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

As for Romney, he isn’t POTUS, Obama is. Question for you: What do you think of the spending Obama’s added, the wars he’s started and run, his failure to close Gitmo, his ignoring of Congress, all the things he hasn’t done that he promised to do while being…well…while being POTUS?

Bishop on February 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Good that you dodged my question. Very similar to Willard dodging the draft by going to France but that is another story.

-Obama has ended the illegal Bush war in Irag.
-showed you right wingers how to remove a dictator without a single American troop on the ground. Gaddafi is dead. I could careless how much this cost because to me the price of one dead America soldier is priceless
-The republican congress which has a 7% approval rating needs to be kicked out. No American respects those people. Congress is the problem. I will be happy if Obama ignores the 7% approval rating congress any day.
-Gitmo is a little complicated. I blame Bush

By the way Romney was for the bailouts before he was against it. But after watching his explanation of Bain it seems to me he is for it or isn’t? lol

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

CLF: 154,395m

PR: 63.7%

E: 141,637m

EPR: 58.5%

U: 12,758m

27+: 5,518m

Actual jobs, not seasonally adjusted, are down 2.9 million over the past two months. It is only after seasonal adjustments – made at the sole discretion of the BLS – that 2.9 million fewer jobs gets translated into 446,000 new seasonally adjusted jobs.

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Shouldn’t we celebrate as Americans that GM is employs thousands in Michigan is regaining some value? I would think that would be good news for Americans.

Seems to me some people want a bad economy for political gain. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I get reading some of these responses

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

You can read?
You must be grounded on weekends, or only be able to use the computer on your government job huh? Noticed a pattern!
It seems that you are wrong…since people would like GM to pay back the taxpayer’s before they spend millions on ads, giving away cars, and acting like they have billions in the bank.
I know this is difficult for you, since the lobotomy, (since you stand up at urinals and pooh your pants from Monday thru Friday)…but this was a Chrysler ad. It is different than the other Gobberment Motors. *(Wispering in lobotomy4life’s ear…it’s like the dip’perence, between ca-ca & pee-pee!)*

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

My car died. Now I have to make the difficult decision whether to buy a Government Motors Trabant or the trendy new Chrysler Bailout GT.

AttaBoyLuther on February 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

In a time before progressives started attacking this country to drive her into a totalitarian state this ad would have sparked unity of purpose and of a nation coming together, now its a battle cry to join Marxists together in an effort to finish bringing America to her knees.

Speakup on February 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

CAFE Average
Fifty-Two Miles Per Gallon
No Room for V-8s

Haiku Guy on February 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

How are you going to get that CAFE without electric cars, and if you are shutting down all the coal fired power plants then you can’t power all the electric cars you hope to sell. What can not be done, won’t be done.

DFCtomm on February 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Who wrote that tripe?

Is Chrysler saying they epitomize our country? I should say not.

Well, then again, Chrysler is no longer an American company, so maybe they do.

ButterflyDragon on February 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

its not halftime for America but it’s surely halftime for the Obama administration. these are just some of the perks when you have a compliant media and companies that are eager to return the favor for their bailout.

exceller on February 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

-The republican congress which has a 7% approval rating needs to be kicked out.

When did Harry Reid, Dick Durbin, Chucky Schumer, et al, become Republicans?

Did sooommmeeebodyy fail civics?

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

JadeNYU on February 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Heh. You know the answer to that. Now that Obama is president, the underemployed count as huge successes, and the unemployed are really just “funemployed” or whatever.

Esthier on February 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

There is a link over at Drudge that says the ad was filmed in New Orleans and Los Angeles.

I thought Clint Eastwood was smarter than this. Obviously, not. Didn’t have a clue what he was stepping into.

Mirimichi on February 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Will you be happy if unemployment is below 8% and the economy is adding over 350K jobs a month come November 2012?

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

No, I want unemployment to be over 20% electricity rates to necessarily skyrocket and thousands more of our fellow Americans can’t afford to pay their mortgages so they lose their homes and their families end up sleeping in their cars which will be parked because I want gas to be $6 per gallon.

There, you feel more smug now?

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I blame Bush

Where is Captain Louis Renault when we need him?

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Dumbest ad ever…or at least since Chrysler did that ad about George Washington driving a Charger.

Why does Chrysler want to wrap itself in the American Flag? Isn’t Chrysler just a Fiat now?

Deafdog on February 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

liberal4life?
The libs promote abortion…
How can this be true?

Haiku Guy on February 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

avgjo on February 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I thought it was a patriotic pep-talk, “we’re down, but not out” sort of thing. It made me think of the “morning in America” commercials.

“Halftime” to me didn’t sound like it was referring to the middle of two Obama terms. It seemed like it was just drawing an allusion from the game to our current state so they could give us a half-time pep-talk.

Perhaps I wasn’t watching it closely enough. But, isn’t it at all possible that we’re so plugged into politics that we start seeing it everywhere?

JadeNYU on February 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Funny, that’s how I felt when I heard it too. I wasn’t really watching though. The game was on in the room, but I was on the computer.

That said, it’s hard for me to argue with those saying it’s about the bailout.

Esthier on February 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I’m sure it has already been said. Chrysler didn’t buy a thing. American taxpayers bought a free Obama campaign ad.

Roar.

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

You betcha!! But I will be dreading the monkeys flying out of my a$$.

BigWyo on February 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Big I had to bring that one forward, good post

DanMan on February 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

What’s to say about Romney, at this point he is still private citizen Romney. You might as well ask me what my local butcher thinks about something. Now PBHO, he is actually POTUS.

However, I am heartened to see that you don’t mind the President of the United States ignoring a coequal branch of the federal government “to do what he needs to do”. And of course when a Republican gains the White House, and were they to act similarly, you will be here cheerleading for their actions.

Who says the right and left can’t get along? Not me, no sir, not me.

Bishop on February 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Do you agree with that assessment?

Chip on February 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I expect an Obama card section during the world series.

MayBee on February 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

“The 7th inning speech”

BobMbx on February 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

NO DURANGO
My wife was looking forward to a new durango. Not anymore, just called my salesman and told him we are going with a Ford Expedition.

Maytag on February 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

So – is it just me, or does that ad make anyone else not want to buy a Chrsysler?

Deafdog on February 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

My family was a huge mopar fan. I was a huge Eastwood fan… “Not anymore”

fistbump on February 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Man o man Chrysler. Going for bankruptcy only to get picked up by Daimler, who did their dead level best to at least get some decent parts around the power they produced. And now to Fiat? Anybody ever driven a Fiat?

Remember Thelma and Louise flying that T-Bird off the cliff? aiyeeeeee!!!

DanMan on February 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Maytag on February 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

That answers the question

Deafdog on February 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

-Obama has ended the illegal Bush war in Irag.

“I come to this debate, Mr. Speaker, as one at the end of 10 years in office on the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, where stopping the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction was one of my top priorities. I applaud the President on focusing on this issue and on taking the lead to disarm Saddam Hussein. … Others have talked about this threat that is posed by Saddam Hussein. Yes, he has chemical weapons, he has biological weapons, he is trying to get nuclear weapons.”

- Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (D, CA) Addressing the US House of Representatives, 10 October 2002 Congressional Record, p. H7777

Hypocrisy Alert! Clinton, Kerry, Gore & Other Democrats Call for War Against Saddam’s Iraq

I have always opposed the Iraq War and Afghan ground war, but not for the reasons that most on the left acquired after they were for them.

Prog hypocrisy. So unoriginal.

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Fallon on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

There’s two J-Lo’s running around?

My chances just doubled.

BobMbx on February 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

NO DURANGO

Maytag on February 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Did you tell him why?

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It’s halftime, our side is down by trillions, and our starters are cheering because we are limiting the other side to slightly less than a trillion per possession, while we’re still going three-and-out.

Haiku Guy on February 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM

So sad. They say everyone has his price, but I would have hoped for Clint to be an exception.

petefrt on February 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

petefrt on February 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Maybe it’s like Krusty the Klown said…”They showed up in my driveway with a dumptruck full of money! What was I gonna do! I’m not made of stone!”

Haiku Guy on February 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Haiku Guy on February 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Silly company
Trying for Inspiration
Offends consumers

Deafdog on February 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

So you think the unemployment number is legitimately down? What about the 1.2 million people who fell off the rolls last month because their 99 weeks timed out? They don’t have jobs, they just aren’t being counted any longer as among the unemployed (those within the 99 week parameter). Voila–unemployment number shows improvement. Do you truly not understand the numbers behind the number? Try looking up the U-6 number for the TRUE unemployment number.

herm2416 on February 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Fiat owns 58% of Chrysler. They make the C300 in Ontario, Canada. How is Fiat/Chrysler more American than Toyota?

theCork on February 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

With Fiat ownership, this was a Spaghetti propaganda piece. Maybe they are counting on Obama reimbursing them or giving them regulation waivers.

Christian Conservative on February 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Sometimes we need to put politics aside and look out for America.

GM is making a profit and some workers are employed in those factories. Even though Romney opposed the auto bailout, he now believes it is the right thing to do.

For me it is always America first, party second

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

unemployment has dropped below 8.8
Question for you, Do you agree with Romney when it comes to how the car companies were bailed out?

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

You are standing at the urinal with your keyboard…and shat yourself again…didn’t you?

Romney STILL says that the auto companies should have gone through a normal bankruptcy…like every other company!

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The still shot of Jay Blarney on the video, without even pushing play, one can tell he’s just thinking of his next lie.

Red Cloud on February 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

She was unable to respond to my posting:

Sometimes we need to put politics aside and look out for America.

For me it is always America first, party second

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

That would seem to be our only Hope.

Do you agree with that assessment?

For the good of the country, or dear El Presidente Downgrade should resign.

Shouldn’t the country come first?

Chip on February 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM

A creepy Big Brotherish set painting for the Potemkin Presidency. What’s next? Encouraged by the fab reviews of Madonna’s lip-synching, Minni Vannili will be hired to promote Fannie & Freddie.

Not with the Chevy Volt you won’t as those engines don’t roar.

Buy Danish on February 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Weekly Standard is reporting that the commercial was filmed in New Orleans and LA. No new footage was shot in Detroit.

I guess it wasn’t safe, the unions charged too much and the politicians wanted to be bribed too much to actually film it there.

barnone on February 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Mirimichi on February 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

He’s a stupid old crank.

tetriskid on February 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I told my wife that I never expected to see “Libertarian” Clint Eastwood in an add that could have been run in the USSR.

“The car of the people!”

29Victor on February 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Thanks , but no Thanks for the restored video. It was heartbreaking enough for avid Clint Eastwood fans to see that the first time around last night. Sad.

FlaMurph on February 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, half time. I guess that means we’re in the middle of the game with Obama and we need to make sure he gets another term.

I couldn’t finish watching it. Screw Eastwood. I’m never watching another one of his movies.

The words that kept coming to my mind as I was watching, what I could stomach watching was “Shut Up!” “Just shut the freak up!”

JellyToast on February 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Bishop on February 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

-Obama has ended the illegal Bush war in Irag.
-Gitmo is a little complicated. I blame Bush

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I think your diaper’s full…overflowed into your brain…and is coming out of your mouth.
You work for the department of labor don’t you… I can tell by your train of thought!

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I think the connection to Obama’s “2nd half” is a bit tenuous myself. The overall message here delivered by Dirty Sellout Harry here is rather amusing and hypocritical. Detroit is a mess, the city not just the car industry. Also, that whole “imported from detroit” crud is just as lame today as it was last year.

Yeah, Detroit showed us how its done… by begging the American people to pay for its mistakes. Go on back to Carmel Clint and mayor that little berg for rich libs.

oryguncon on February 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

DanStark on February 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Hear, hear! I live in the Detroit area, and I love Clint Eastwood, and I’m as conservative as they come. My husband called me from Tenn where he is working right after it aired, and we were both going WOW, the message was great, the only thing we both wished is that the commercial had been for Ford. It struck both of us the same way as when we first saw the Eminem commercial last year. I didn’t think it was a “yay Obama” thing, my first thought was, yes, we need to get back to MAKING

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

barnone on February 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Yup. Doubly sad. The message of Detroit is that you can repeatedly vote people whose policies destroy your city, but as long as you vote Democrat the Fed will bail you out.

Keepin’ the town just alive enough to vote.

29Victor on February 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

sorry, hit the send button too soon, we need to get back to making things, and that’s the chord it struck with me.

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Hey Chrysler: It’s half-time in America. When are you going to pay back the $5.8 billion of American taxpayers’ money? Might be a good idea since you have millions to throw around on a political ad.

katablog.com on February 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM

If Detroit (actually, it was filmed in New Orleans) is the model for America, then I’m emigrating soon.

michaelo on February 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM

oryguncon on February 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Sadly, Detroit tars our entire great state, and we all suffer for it. We’ll take all the positive encouragement that we can, we don’t all stand in lines for handouts.

waterytart on February 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Truly, Mourning in America.

Mutnodjmet on February 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Mirimichi on February 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

So, this is very much like the JLo Los Angeles/Bronx Fiat fiasco.

Fallon on February 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Chip on February 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Chip! You think ‘IT’s…a she?
NO WAY! I’m almost 60! I have never met a woman, that could be that dumb. Has to be a guy! I have met guy’s this dumb!
This one is a dumb guy, with a small tool!

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I don’t get it. I’m supposed to get a Noontime in America sort of thrill going down my leg if I buy a Fiat?

Um, no.

MNHawk on February 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Squint Eastwood has probably seen the last of my hard earned money. Not because I won’t go to his movies any longer but because if he is successful in putting BO back in the White House, I won’t have the money to use on luxuries like movies.

chickasaw42 on February 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Money from taxpayers —–>> Unions ( Chrysler ) ——->> ad people ( probably Obamaistas ) ——>> NBC mofos… ———>> Obama //// Hey, what could possibly be wrong with that?

bill glass on February 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I didn’t read into it that much. All I thought it was trying to say was “things have gone hard for us, we’re down, but not out yet.” That said, I didn’t like the ad either. I thought the mention of Detroit’s troubles in a positive light was totally ignorant at best.

Ryan Anthony on February 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

halftime in America = morning in America

i’m thinking thats the message they were going for. once again 0bama cant stand on his own, he has to try to morph into the greats who came before him.

chasdal on February 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

If you want to hear a hysteric’s overinterpretation of this ad, listen to Rove on Hannity. Oy!

Settle down, folks. Stupid ad. Waste of money. Meaningless. The media is hyping the ad, which reinforces its meaninglessness.

Yes, it’s political, but it’s shooting blanks. We should want the administration and its cronies to waste its money on idiocy like this!

EMD on February 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Mirimichi on February 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

clint’s part was prolly done in a LA studio. he prolly never had a clue as to the rest of the ad until after it was edited.

chasdal on February 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Et tu Harry? Is it possible to be successful in Hollywood without selling your soul? It may be halftime, but the game is fixed. The refs have been bought off.

No mas Chrysler-Dodge. Amazing that we have come to a day that its more American to buy a Honda or Toyota.

KMav on February 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Meh. The ad didn’t inspire me as an American or as potential Chrysler customer. It did, however, inspire me to stop watching about half way through mainly out of boredom.

We are not the ones requiring a lecture about America’s greatness. We already get it. What we need is to rid ourselves of politicians who don’t recognize American exceptionalism and strive to make the US just one of the pack. Maybe Clint could address that.

SukieTawdry on February 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Chip on February 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Chip! You think ‘IT’s…a she?
This one is a dumb guy, with a small tool!

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Well, maybe you’re right.

It’s just that I think that everyone can agree on a bipartisan basis, that the Downgrade Administration has been a disaster for the economy, Liberty, peace around the world, etc and that for the good of the nation and the world, El Presidente Downgrade should simply do an ‘LBJ’ and resign or not seek re-election.

If you’re going to say:

Sometimes we need to put politics aside and look out for America.

For me it is always America first, party second

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

He should be first on board on calling for that.

It’s just commonsense, after all.

Chip on February 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM

“..a man’s got to know his limitations..”

The War Planner on February 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Never. Buying. Chrysler. Long as I live.

thirtyandseven on February 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Anyone who thinks Detroit is having a comeback, obviously hasn’t spent anytime in Detroit. Including Clint Eastwood.

ctmom on February 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

“Now Motor City is fighting again.”

Fighting so hard that the commercial had to be filmed in New Orleans and Los Angeles. I guess this contradicts the narrative.:

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I just figured the ad was about we’re coming out in the second half with a new quarterback — one who knows what he’s doing, not the clown who played golf during the first half…

drfredc on February 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I know, I know I’m late to the party, but I just have to get this off my chest, albeit anti-climatically melodramatically:

There was nothing stealthy about it!!!

SteveInRTP on February 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Detroit sucks. Only one American car company (Ford) can make a decent car, and a lot of those are actually Euro-designed Fords.

I would never buy a GM or Chysler even if they weren’t bailed out, they are worthless trash. A 1993 Kia Sephia is higher quality than the junk GM and Chrysler turn out. Nationalization is just an extra 200 nails in the coffin.

Daikokuco on February 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM

There’s two J-Lo’s running around?

My chances just doubled.

BobMbx on February 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Me thinks even your body double wouldn’t have a chance Bob :)

NapaConservative on February 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Figures:

Detroit ‘Comeback’ Ad Filmed in New Orleans, L.A.
Not Detroit.

Chip on February 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

And you guys say it’s the Ronulans wearing the foil hats. Jeez, this is pathetic. An actor acting in an advertisement for money??!!?! Something nefarious must be afoot!!!

abobo on February 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Resist We Much on February 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM

..I am beginning to appreciate — nay, envy — your style. Commentary with facts and links to back it up. This pictorial comparison of Hiroshima versus Detroit is staggeringly stupefying!

The War Planner on February 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Funny. Not GoDaddy or all the ads that involved bikinis is the most talked about ad, and not in a good way. Not sure if this is the reaction that either Eastwood or GM thought it would get. I also wonder how much of my tax dollars went to pay for this ad.

ConservativePartyNow on February 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Not with the Chevy Volt you won’t as those engines don’t roar.

Buy Danish on February 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Ahh…but the resulting FIRE does……

BigWyo on February 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM