Quotes of the day

posted at 10:49 pm on February 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Romney, himself, weighed in during an interview with WCCO radio in Minneapolis, saying of Santorum: ‘His policies are, in my view, those of many Republicans in Congress who went along with Democrats to raise the debt ceiling, to allowing earmarks and to growing the size of federal government to a level that is frankly choking off the capacity of our economy to grow at the rate it should.’

“‘I think his approach was not effective and, frankly, I happen to believe if we’re going to change Washington we can’t just keep on sending the same people there in different chairs.’”

***

“(1) It simply is untrue that Romney is not winning conservatives. In fact, a super-majority of Romney voters are in fact conservative and he has won more conservatives than any other candidate. The most conservative voters are not the bulk of his coalition, for sure, but overall his support is coming from the right side of the political spectrum.

“(2) The Romney coalition in 2012 is more moderate than the Romney 2008 coalition was. In most of the early contests – at least outside the South – Romney secured the support of very conservative voters four years ago. That is not the case this time around, not nearly to the same extent. Even so, his coalition in 2012 is a hybrid of the McCain ’08 and Romney ’08 vote.

“(3) This is a virtually unbeatable coalition, if he can maintain it. Romney has basically situated himself exactly in the middle of the GOP electorate: a plurality of his voters are somewhat conservative, with the remaining sampling from the moderates and the very conservatives. To defeat this coalition, an opponent would have to either steal some of his very conservative voters or cobble together a coalition that includes the far left and the far right of the electorate. Either would be a very difficult task to accomplish.”

***

“‘The Tea Party movement is dead. It’s gone,’ says Chris Littleton, the cofounder of the Ohio Liberty Council, a statewide coalition of Tea Party groups in Ohio. ‘I think largely the Tea Party is irrelevant in the primaries. They aren’t passionate about any of the candidates, and if they are passionate, they’re for Ron Paul.’…

“But Meckler and Littleton both rightly make the point that while the Tea Parties may not be dictating who the candidate is this year, they certainly have dictated the issues the candidates are talking about and what they are saying, particularly in the area of fiscal restraint, free-market capitalism, and the virtues of the Tea Party’s favorite historical document, the U.S. Constitution.

“In the ultimate compliment in presidential politics, the GOP field seems to be in a daily contest to impress Tea Party voters. You’re cutting spending? I’ll cut it more. You’re stopping earmarks? I’ve never even voted for one!…

“And what if Romney is elected but does not deliver on his promises, as so many Tea Partiers fear?

“That’s simple to predict, says Littleton. ‘All hell will break loose.’”

***

“‘I think what the tea party people should be asking ourselves [is] … ‘Listen, we have all this energy, all these ideas, we’ve mobilized so many people, and we produce Mitt Romney,” he said. ‘Why couldn’t they produce a leader? Why couldn’t they really change the party? If Romney wins, the head of the Republican Party — the three most important people in Washington — will be Mitch McConnell, John Boehner and Mitt Romney. That’s the Republican main street establishment. The tea party will have a pretty limited effect.’”

***

“We’ve killed off the Rockefeller Republicans. In 2008 we had one candidate who was pro-abortion, one candidate who opposed Clinton’s impeachment, we had one candidate who wanted to shut down Guantanamo, voted against Bush’s tax cuts, called waterboarding torture, oh, and that’s the one we ran.

“We have killed off Rockefeller Republicans. Basically all of them have conservative positions now. I think Romney is appealing. He’s gentlemanly. I think that’s what you need from looking at how Reagan ran in 1980.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

I am a genealogist and family historian, I spend a lot of time with online research. My Fairfax cousins are in the process of a dedication for William Fairfax Sr., he’s going to get his SAR “Sons Of The American Revolution) dedication at Bacon Race Church/Cemetery, near Hoadley in Prince William Co.,Virginia. He died in 1793 Occoquan, Virginia. 219 years later my generation of his descendants are the ones that are seeing he get’s his Rev War Service memorial. It’s a wonderful ceremony they will be in period dress for the dedication and I understand that there will also be a group from the War of 1812 attending.

That is so neat and congratulations on the dedication. Although I am interested in family history, tracing it turned out to be too frustrating for me. My niece has now taken on that task. On my mother’s side she’s traced our heritage to the daughter of Cherokee Chief Doublehead, Princess Cornflower. Though we also found out that Diane “Slosh” Sawyer is also a descendant. *shudder*

On my husband’s side, his uncle was the family historian. He learned that they are descendants of Gen. James “Birdsye” McPherson. Last week when the Occupy DC crowd showed such disrespect to the statue in McPherson Square my husband was livid. All I can say is thank goodness we don’t live anywhere near D.C.

And if that crowd had realized that Newt Gingrich is a descendant of the General, I hesitate to think what they would have done to the statue.

Flora Duh on February 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

It’s simple, the Tea Party produced Sharon Angle and Christine O’Donnell and both were complete joke losers.

That’s what killed it.

NoDonkey on February 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Really,… two choices out of a national field, with a historic stomping of the democrat House…

and you think that killed them?

They were never a unified group with a chosen national leadership, which is why the media could never destroy it, they couldn’t pin any one person down to discredit the movement. They are far from dead, and that the vote was fractured by so many candidates, none of them first rank, further diluted the message..

But that is far from dead..

after the election, if Romney wins, and renegs on his promises, expect a resurgence. If Obama wins, expect a resurgence,.. right now, there are just no single candidates for them to rally around.

mark81150 on February 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

mark81150 on February 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

What’s funny about that is that both those “losers” endorsed Romney!

Night Owl on February 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I hope you’re feeling good today.. I don’t do winter well myself these days, how cold does it get in Florida?

mark81150 on February 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Doing well, thank you, as long as I keep my blood pressure down. LOL For that reason it aggravates the heck out of my kids that I spend so much time immersed in politics.

Like most everywhere else, we’ve had a mild winter so far. I live in the Nature Coast area so we have had some pretty cold winters in the past. Last year I believe the coldest it got was down to 19. And unlike S. Florida, it doesn’t warm up much during the day.

Flora Duh on February 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

What’s funny about that is that both those “losers” endorsed Romney!

Night Owl on February 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I thought I read that Sharon Angle endorsed Santorum?

Flora Duh on February 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Wow! After reading this thread all I can say is, “Who let the pigs in?”
Talk about pearls before swine. sheesh

OkieDoc on February 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I thought I read that Sharon Angle endorsed Santorum?

Flora Duh on February 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I could have sworn I heard she endorsed Romney, but I just checked and you are right!

Night Owl on February 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Talk about pearls before swine. sheesh

OkieDoc on February 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Perhaps if you hadn’t been screaming “Come on in the muds fine…”

Bradky on February 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

KOOLAID2 on February 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Want to borrow this stick? I whittled a nice sharp point on it. Works real good when you poke at em. I mean if you’re gonna poke em with a stick you might as well leave a mark.

Bmore on February 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I’m not like that. I take in stray animals, birds with broken wings. etc. I’m not mean! (Stir the pot, once in a while)
You can’t fix stupid…so I don’t bother. I’ve seen it here for years. There are of the more intelligent and logical people, I have seen engage people here, and I have rarely seen a change in the folks they engage…so why bother? I let them drive, watch and read and…let them keep running into parked cars!

KOOLAID2 on February 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Flora Duh on February 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

That’s the America education system at work, those ?people? have no sense of their heritage, and who paid the price for their self entitlement and self indulgent acts and vandalism.

Every time they break the law, I want to see them all given the option, go to jail or they can go to a 3rd world country so they can see what really being deprived looks like. It would do them well to get sent to a place like Haiti, hand them a hammer, and tell them to start building shelters. It’s not like they don’t already have their own tents, let them find out what it’s like when they don’t get the choice, but have to live in a tent out of doors 24/7.

Dr Evil on February 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I no longer give any credence whatsoever to anything Coulter says.

Wolfmoon on February 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I no longer give any credence whatsoever to anything Coulter says.

Wolfmoon on February 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

She is a colleague of mine and I passed on your sentiments. She said to let you know that your comment has convinced her she will retire immediately, never write again, wear sackcloth and ashes, and hope someday you can forgive her and toss her some conservative table scraps….

Bradky on February 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Bradky on February 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Good grief, you are a horse’s patoot.

Cindy Munford on February 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

The Tea Party is not a party. That seems to elude the New York Times and the “elitest” that work for them. The Tea Party is a pro-American spirit promoting free enterprise and the maintaining of the founding principles on which this nation was founded. If they “go away” the American way of life as we know it will dissipate to a form of life that is being forced on us against our will. Brooks is a RINO who has no clue how the American electorate really think. The 2008 election was the biggest turnaround in American politics in 75 years. If that trend continues, as it has every indication it will, McConnell and Boehner WILL NOT be the heads of the bodies of Congress and the president, whichever liar holds the position, will be restricted from transforming our nation into European socialism. Freedom starts from the bottom up. Liberals can’t seem to comprehend that fact, like so many other things beyond their comprehension. Going to be interesting, folks.

volsense on February 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I no longer give any credence whatsoever to anything Coulter says.

Wolfmoon on February 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

My husband was a big Coulter fan.
She was on Hannity last night, he said they should stop giving her air time. Yeah we have a stack of her books, but we won’t be buying anymore she’s turned out to be a huge phony corporate sell out. Live and learn, buyer beware that’s how capitalism works. Ann Coulter peeing on your leg, and telling you it’s raining LOL!

Dr Evil on February 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Good grief, you are a horse’s patoot.

Cindy Munford on February 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

For this thread it coulda been worse — you could have called me Ann Coulter….

Bradky on February 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Obviously who Ms. Coulter supports is her own decision but I fail to see the need by her or anyone else to belittle those who disagree. Very counter productive. I assume she feels that she can always change her political direction and have a whole new audience and revenue base.

Cindy Munford on February 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Still wouldn’t get anymore comments than he does with his blog but at least he would self actualize…

Bradky on February 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

That’s a good idea.

csdeven on February 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, I know. The Anthony Weiner threads were some of the funniest I’ve ever seen. It was very frustrating not to be able to join in.

Flora Duh on February 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

lol…I can’t wait until the primaries are over. Then we can get back to insulting the dems. It’s a target rich environment and provides some hilarious commentary.

csdeven on February 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

mark81150 on February 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

That entire screed was an exercise in futility on your part. It’s like arguing the chicken/egg discussion.

The only thing that matters are the five items bluegill enumerated and how it applies to your behavior. It either applies or it does not. And if it doesn’t why are you having a come apart over it?

csdeven on February 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Cindy Munford on February 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I don’t recall you raising these points when she was throwing grenades at the left that were clearly meant to stir up things. Unless your view of it depends on where she is directing her words…. or is that somehow productive when it is a view you embrace?

Bradky on February 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Bradky on February 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM

The Left are not my friends or her revenue base. She has made her fortune being a provocateur of the Right. Just questioning her strategy not trying to shut her up.

Cindy Munford on February 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM

All the Coulter/Romney bashing is depressing. Why aren’t we focusing our ire on Obama and the Democrats? HA is getting less and less fun to read. Too many of its threads seem to have been hijacked by a bunch of whiny conservatives who think that they own the “real” conservative movement. Based on the support that Romney is getting from conservatives so far, I would suggest that many of these HA conservatives are not in the main stream. The site seems to be dominated by comments from disillusioned GOP voters who would be happy to depress voter turnout from the right side of the political spectrum, so Obama can win again. When you look closely at their records, none of the current crop of GOP candidates can be defined as genuine conservatives. So, regardless of who is chosen, if they win in November, conservatives will have to stay involved to hold them to their promises of overturning the damage done by Obama. We should be happy that all of our candidates seem to understand the damage that has been done in the last three years and are promising to change direction. Considering where we are in the process, it should be good news that most of the GOP field is polling well against Obama and that 80 percent of undecideds are unhappy with Obama. This is a recipe for winning in November and having some hope of turning things around. Too many of you seem to be determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of a potential victory. Good luck with that!

NuclearPhysicist on February 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

NuclearPhysicist on February 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Tis the season and will pass.

Cindy Munford on February 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Coulter has long since left left the Conservative Reservation.

She packed her bags when she endorsed Christ Christie.

Is she angling for a spot on MSNBC or CNN?

PappyD61 on February 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM

NuclearPhysicist on February 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I understand exactly what you’re saying, but in the same way one would think of the Japanese strike on Pearl Harbor, it was the so-called front-runner and his supporters who dropped the first bombs. I listened to Ann Coulter’s first live interview about Newt Gingrich. Her harangues against Obama were less personal, less designed to destroy. You come here and the Romney supporters don’t argue policy. Their strength is totally in name calling, belittling and demeaning anyone who don’t worship a man. Mostly, they’re Mormons. I tried several times telling them they were doing their candidate no good, but they persist. Today, one of their “best and brightest” commented that Rick Santorum wasn’t attractive in high school.

Where does one draw the line? Does one help someone with no conscience as regards the destruction of another human being?

I remember years ago, I ceased watching Jane Fonda. If she appeared on TV, I changed the channel. If she appeared in a movie, I wouldn’t attend no matter how many awards she and it received. There were numerous other stars from that era I continued to watch and enjoy, but Jane? When our POW’s returned and told their stories, she called them liars.

It’s like Doreto’s. I won’t buy them or any of their related products. I’ve found other commercials offensive but didn’t stop buying the product, but when Doreto’s mocked the Eucharist, that was crossing a line and I will never buy their stuff again.

It’s like turning the station when Alan Colmes comes on. I’ve listened to him for years, but when he mocked how bereaved parents mourned their child, I wrote Fox and told them I’d change the station. I do. No more between a Barack and a Hard place.

You see? There are some things that just go too, too far. I’m with Mark Levin. I remember well what Newt Gingrich had to put up with from the media and the democrats and he stayed in the fight while Mitt was saying he wasn’t a Republican. Love him or dislike him, if you are a Republican and any brand of conservative, you owe Newt a debt for the years he served in the trenches. Romney acts like a rock-throwing, rich kid punk with no sense of decency. How exactly is he going to bring the party together when he’s dedicated tens of millions tearing us apart? I started willing to support Romney but with every negative ad, with every abusive post from his supporters, that has become more and more difficult.

It’s rather like an honorable defeat and sacking the town. One people can live with. The rape, the pillage, the burning will not be so easily forgotten.

He’s no gentleman and maybe you’d like to explain how I vote for a man who abuses helpless animals and has supporters who are nasty little bullies? (And I’m serious. How far is Romney allowed to go before decent people are totally repulsed)

Portia46 on February 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Bradky on February 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM

But I did after she attacked John McCain with a hate most of us would reserve for terrorists. I can understand disagreeing with the man, but she literally hated him. She’s a swell author and I enjoy her commentary, but John McCain earned the right to some respect.

Ann Coulter supported Hillary Clinton in the last election.

Portia46 on February 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

If you don’t run Chris Christie, Romney will be the nominee and we’ll lose.” Ann Coulter 08 Jun 2011

“I think it’s going to be Romney, I think Romney is the strongest candidate and I think Republicans want to beat Obama and Romney is the best one to do that.” Ann Coulter December 13, 2011

“The problem with Romney that a lot of people have, people like me, conservatives, is Romneycare.” Ann Coulter 08 Jun 2011

“Three Cheers for Romneycare!” Ann Coulter Feb 01, 2012

Coulter: Tea partiers are hypocrites for backing Newt

And I should listen to you, why?

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

++++

(I love your posts. You somehow seem to find the exact center of the debate and you make me LOL)

Portia46 on February 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Because Romney’s history is well known. A President Romney will be living, eating and sleeping with Obama and Democrats as he signs their policies into law.

RJL on February 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM