Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on February 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

A few days ago, Barack Obama spoke at a prayer breakfast and claimed that he wants to raise taxes because of his Christian faith:

But for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that “for unto whom much is given, much shall be required.” It mirrors the Islamic belief that those who’ve been blessed have an obligation to use those blessings to help others, or the Jewish doctrine of moderation and consideration for others.

This is the kind of argument that usually comes from people who don’t have much familiarity with the Christian Gospel. That teaching didn’t get addressed to policymakers. Jesus was teaching the wealthy and powerful to act on a personal, individual basis for the sake of their soul, not to confiscate resources for others to put to their own use.  In fact, the idea that government should exist to mandate the confiscation of wealth for redistribution ends up negating the need for personal commitment to the poor.  It demotivates the impulse as people assume they’ve done their part by paying their taxes and nothing more.

The purpose of taxation is to fund government.  The mechanism of Christian charity comes through the individual, not through government.  Government will not save anyone’s soul. There may be good reasons to push tax increases as a tax policy, but Jesus Christ is not one of them. This is nothing more than a clumsy attempt to pander to Christians while lecturing them — and displaying his lack of understanding of the meaning of the Gospel.

Comments

So let it be written, so let it be done

Kudos Ed!

cmsinaz on February 6, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Obama has a looong way to go to convince me he’s a Christian. I think it’s just a veneer he puts on for show.

backwoods conservative on February 6, 2012 at 8:11 AM

He’s not your typical kind of Christian.

He is very familiar with the Gospel of Jeremiah Wright though.

“And ye, verily Jesus said unto the disciples: God D**n AmeriKKKa! And that biatch Hillary, she ain’t never been called a n***er! Not forgettin’, AIDS was caused by the Jooooooooooos!. Aight. Salam Aleykum my brothers and sisters. No give it up – we need your generous donations to pay for my mercedes and my 10,000 sq foot house on Lake Shore Drive. Yeah, gimme some cheese my people.”

CorporatePiggy on February 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM

If I were to lower my charitable giving to the percentage that barack does, I would be able to bank at least an extra $10K every year. If I were to lower it to the percentage that joe biden does, I could retire before too long.

It really pi$$es me off when a hypocrite like barack goes on a preaching spree.

DuctTapeMyBrain on February 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Jeremiah Wrights sermons have done him well

cmsinaz on February 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM

This is the Christianity he practiced at the Reverend Wright’s church for 20 years. Sounds like par for the course for Liberation Theology.

trubble on February 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Has there ever been a more publicly arrogant, ignorant, opinionated, self-satisfied, smug doofus in American life? I think not! In fact, I have noticed that many others, as I do, forgo even hearing his voice and rather prefer to read his words on paper than to hear the lecturing, egomaniacal tone of a vapid intellect posturing for the sake of cameras and partisanship.
Barack Øbama: Chump-in-Chief.

ExpressoBold on February 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

No big surprise…

B.O. and his ilk actually believe that government is/can be a force for good, unlike what history has repeatedly shown us about the true nature of government as a necessary evil that needs to be controlled.

ProfShadow on February 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

My problem is that this man makes me have very un-Christian feelings.

Can’t stand him.

gophergirl on February 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Well we know that Jesus was a capitalist with the parable of the talents, but he also was against paying taxes, when he told Peter he was in error when he thought Jesus should pay the temple tax.

flytier on February 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Another illustration of presidential hubris involved the Bush family. The White House put out a picture of a private meeting in the Oval Office on Jan. 27 that included former President George H.W. Bush and his son, Jeb, the former governor of Florida.

The Bushes were in town for the annual black tie dinner the next night at the Alfalfa Club, a gathering of business and political elites. The two featured speakers, both intended to be brief and humorous, were Obama and Jeb Bush. The president spoke to good reviews. He left before Bush spoke.

Obama hates such dinners. Some of his aides, in particular his political adviser David Plouffe, urged him not to spend an evening mingling with the 1 percent. Yet he chose to go, and attendees said it was the first time they could recall a speaker leaving before the other side had its fun. In addition, Obama’s 87-year-old predecessor was present.

This is from your favorite conservative columnist: Al Hunt:

No Niks on February 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Guess who’s birthday is today!

Marcus on February 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM

You are certainly not alone. I know many people who wait for transcripts of things like the SOTU address. It’s naturally disturbing to have to listen to someone who lies blatantly, badly, and boldly and who also just happens to be the President of the United States.

CorporatePiggy on February 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I have doubts that Obama even considers himself a Christian. How could any individual of deep faith sit in a racist church for 20 years and only jettisoning the pastor when he became a political liability?

Frankly, Obama the community agitator needed to be associated with a big black church to further his political fortunes. There is nothing in the man’s character, actions, or comments to indicate that Obama worships anybody but himself. The family have only been to church in DC six times and they have all been heavily orchestrated media events. He makes the claim that he reads Scripture and prays daily but, if he is telling the truth, his understanding of his declared faith is as shallow and superficial as everything else about this man.

I could go on but won’t because it wouldn’t be the Christian thing to do.

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM

By whatever means necessary…….that’s how the Ruling class will fund their government.

Think about what that means.

PappyD61 on February 6, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Agree GG

cmsinaz on February 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM

And then Jesus said, “Give as much as you can to Herod and Caesar. for they will take your money and give a little to the poor. But more importantly, the money will be given to unions, political donors, and green business, as well as unsustainable entitlement programs.

“So I say to you, be sure to spend more than you have!” Jesus then passed around the collection plate that had only 5 silver coins and 10 copper pennies, and by the time they were done, all people had 30 silver coins in their pockets.

– The Gospel of Barack

Nethicus on February 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Is there no end to his campaigning? Can’t he fake it, at least for a prayer breakfast, so that we can come to the true meaning of prayer and not to justify his increased tax proposals?

steved95 on February 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM

He screws up “I am my brothers keeper” too. It is “Am I my brothers keeper”, and the context never matches what Øbama is trying to convey.

ctmom on February 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM

LOL Marcus

Ricky :)

cmsinaz on February 6, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Every now and again I’m torn: Is the current POTUS Elmer Gantry or Jonas Nightengale?

apostic on February 6, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Good linky no niks

cmsinaz on February 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM

He should be thankful there wasn’t an angry Iraqi in the room to toss a fried egg at him.

hillsoftx on February 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM

ExpressoBold on February 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Any of the Kardashians come to mind.

With regard to the jug-eared socialist, I don’t think anybody gets to that level in politics without a certain amount of arrogance and self-satisfaction. Look at the way Pelosi ran the House when she was speaker. However, I think what is different with Obama is the tremendous sense of entitlement that accompanies everything he says and does. He and his spouse do not see anything wrong with spending through millions of taxpayer dollars on vacations and outings. They simply take all this lavish living as a perq of the office and really haven’t been held accountable by the media the way GWB and Laura Bush would have been had Laura jetted off for a week-long (non-official) vacation in Spain or had the Bushes decided that they needed to fly to Martha’s Vineyard on separate government planes a mere five hours apart.

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM

ExpressoBold on February 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

You could do what Barry’s Harvard classmates reportedly did when they had to listen to him pontificate in class: rate his arrogance, self-righteousness, and sneering condescension on the “Obamanator” scale.

AZCoyote on February 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM

hillsoftx on February 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM

LOL… remember when Bush dodged the flying Iraqi shoe?

/mental pic of someone flinging a shoe at brock during one of his speechifying sessions.

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Jesus; Render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar and render unto God that which is God’s.

Caesar: Render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar and render unto God that which is God’s.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I wonder if Caesar has considered Deut 17:18 when he formulates policy???

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM

…his supporters understand it’s a necessity for public consumption and general acceptance. They know he’s insincere, and they’re absolutely fine with that. Worse, they completely support it.

Any means necessary.

rogerb on June 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM

rogerb on February 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

He should stick to the parts of the Bible that is written for kings and leaders and see what it has to say about folks like himself.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Jesus didn’t involve himself in politics but that didn’t stop the liberation “theologians” from putting Him at the center of their Marxism. The surprise is that anyone bought it.

shaloma on February 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

God to Caesar: “Hey, champ, I can do with 10%…how ’bout you?”

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

But there is no need to worry about the poor, they have a safety net.

tinkerthinker on February 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I see tighes dropping when taxes are high.

docflash on February 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Actually, no. This verse from Luke has nothing to do with wealth or giving it away. Paraphrasing Clarke’s commentary on the Bible, it has to do with the knowledge and light that God has given us, in greater or lesser degrees. Those who have had much light, or the opportunity of receiving much, and have not improved it to their own salvation, and the good of others, shall have punishment proportioned to the light they have abused. On the other hand, those who have had little light or knowledge, and few means of improvement, shall be punished only for the abuse of the knowledge they possessed.

Obama is a prime example of this himself. He has had the opportunity of receiving much knowledge, but has not used it for his own salvation and has abused the opportunity and the knowledge.

Trafalgar on February 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

backwoods conservative on February 6, 2012 at 8:11 AM

More than that, someone brought up in Islam, in Indonesia, can not quote Christian scripture when his only exposure has been through Jeremiah Wright; hardly an accurate catechism!

Boats48 on February 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

From each according to their ability, to me according to my needs.

NeighborhoodCatLady on February 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM

JugEars, is his own religion.

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Barack Obama: “Go forth and preach Marxism to all the lands”.

celtic warrior on February 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

My Pastor always called folks like Obambi and family the C & E members. They show up at Church twice a year, Christmas and Easter.

The rest of the year is devoted to worshipping themselves and their objects.

Tim Zank on February 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

God to Caesar: “Hey, champ, I can do with 10%…how ’bout you?”

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Good one!

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM

AZCoyote on February 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Even the stalwart Mr. Morrissey passed up the opportunity, as did I, to hear the most recent SoTU campaign address delivered from Hot Lips Hussein. In order to truly rate Ø on the characteristics you enumerate, Harvard students used an “Obamanometer” which probably was a tool resembling a hybrid of an enema tube and a barometer.

ExpressoBold on February 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM

But there is no need to worry about the poor, they have a safety net.

tinkerthinker on February 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Being poor in this country in 2012 means you have basic cable and no HBO and your I-Phone is 3g not 4g.

I’m not worried about the poor anymore, I got over it when my revenues/income dropped 50%.

Tim Zank on February 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I think another disturbing part of this is Giggles’ fixation on the phrase “unto whom much is given”. It betrays his thinking – he truly does not believe that the money that the wealthy have, or the money anyone has for that matter, is earned. With every fiber of his being, he feels that it is the government’s money to do with as it wants and the government doles it out and lets people have an arbetrary percentage.

Wealth, except in the case of inheritance, is earned, but our oh-so-benevolant philosopher-king does not believe that.

crazy_legs on February 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

apparently, barry doesn’t realize that few figures in the bible are reviled more than TAX COLLECTORS and that jesus worked to convert/redeem tax collectors and NOT to promote the “blessings” of their profession

erclimb on February 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

The rest of the year is devoted to worshipping themselves and their objects.

Tim Zank on February 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

He should do less judging and more thankful that they show up those two dates…maybe it’s him.

This Obama quote goes with the often misquote he used the other day…”I am not my brothers keeper”.

These are quotes, along with “turn the other cheek” and “cast the first stones”, that are thrown out most often by those who have never picked up a Bible, let alone study it.

right2bright on February 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

erclimb on February 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Ha! Good one…but of course Obama never says these where he can be challenged…

right2bright on February 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

My Pastor always called folks like Obambi and family the C & E members.

My father-in-law called them “PACE” people. Palm Sunday, Ash Wednesday, Christmas, Easter

crazy_legs on February 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Thank you, Trafalgar. Actually GOD has no need of money for if he did he could create it out of dirt. HE wants us to use our talents wisely. Barry could use a lesson in that as well.

Kissmygrits on February 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

The Gospel According to Barack Obama is talking points cut and pasted from his dog-eared copy of the Communist Manifesto.

Buy Danish on February 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Scripture says your soul is in a much better place if you voluntarily tithe, give or otherwise help others. Obama says, spread the wealth or you’ll be fined, heavily taxed or even incarcerated. What is the difference, really? Who wants to keep their soul from the best place possible? And who wants to be punished by the state? No one, of course.

These are pleas from two sides of the same coin. Both rest on the premise that to be “good” one’s actions must benefit others. Both need to be dismissed out of hand if our culture and our politics are to get back to greatness. Ayn Rand has already laid out the alternative.

beselfish on February 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

CorporatePiggy on February 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I haven’t seen Capitalist Piglet lately. Hope you didn’t eat him.

Lanceman on February 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

“The God that I believe in isn’t short of cash mister” – Bono

Mangy Scot on February 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I think Obama knew what the passage meant. He’s just counting on those who may vote for him not knowing but thinking it sounds about right.

multiuseless on February 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

That video is absolutely vile. I am so tired of having this government use my sense of sympathy and compassion as a weapon against me. Now this man is trying to use the teachings of the Bible to try to guilt me into accepting tax hikes as the Christian thing to do? Hey Barock, how about you work on stopping me from seeing people at the market buying their Ho-Ho’s with food stamps, while talking on their cell phone, and driving off in their Escalade, and then I’ll work on feeling better about the government being good stewards of taxpayer money. Until then….no….I would like to chose for myself where my acts of kindness shall be directed.

lynncgb on February 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

“But for me as a Christian . . “

Beware whenever you hear a libturd use the phrase, “as a . . .” It generally can be interpreted, “if I were a . . .” As in, “if I were a Christian.”

Alternatively, leftards often try pass themselves off as conservatives and, while doing so, will use the code phrase, “as a conservative.” They’re anything but.

Cowards.

MisterElephant on February 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

@trafalgar:

“Obama is a prime example of this himself. He has had the opportunity of receiving much knowledge…”

Key word- opportunity. However, this smug dummy did not take advantage of his opportunities- private prep school in Hawaii, two Ivy League schools- outside of learning the entitlement game buzzwords and how to squander huge piles of government funds on public housing and education foundations.

Result- a heartbreaking idiot of staggering ignorance is now our president.

Just a stupid, stupid, failure. And he’s so choked with arrogance he can’t be bothered to realize just how intellectually feeble he is.

No scoamf in ’12. Anyone, ANYONE but Soetero.

GrassMudHorsey on February 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM

“The rich must pay their fair share” trumps “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s goods.”
Barack Obama

BitterClinger on February 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

shaloma on February 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

That is because far to many who consider themselves Christian are functionally illiterate when it comes to what the Bible actually teaches. An example: recently our long time pastor retired. The Church held a meeting to determine what skills and background they wanted in a new pastor. After they got done I made the comment that 95% of what they wanted the pastor to do was what the people in the church should do according to the Bible. Even told them what verses to verify what I said. You can guess how happy they were about that.

chemman on February 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

The Jewish doctrine of moderation? What does that even mean?

Btw, Islam is the only one of the three mentioned religions where charity is actually a state tax.

Phoenician on February 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

More to the point, Barry, thou shalt not steal nor covet thy neighbor’s ass.

What we have here is the scriptures according to Jeremiah Wright… And Karl Marx.

petefrt on February 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Government will not save anyone’s soul.

Not according to Obama. He believes in collective salvation and has said so several times.

Pablo on February 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

– The Gospel of Barack

Nethicus on February 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM

hahahaha
+100

inviolet on February 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Herein lies the basic difference between liberal and conservative. To a leftist, I have been ‘given’ what I have. To a conservative, I have ‘earned’ what I have. Two words with profoundly different meanings. If I were, in fact, given what I have as though I were some fuedal lord, then perhaps His Highness might have a point. But as I have earned what I have, he does not.

Interestly, however, the very people he believes I have a requirement to support have, in fact, been given everything they have. The richest poor in the world, the American poor, have houses, food, health care and most even have cars and cable TV all because they have become accustomed to being given what I have earned. And what do we require of them? Nothing.

What a butthole.

PorchDawg on February 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM

PorchDawg on February 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM

+1000

Mangy Scot on February 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

PorchDawg on February 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Ha. What I’d give to hear an (R) candidate go on TV and say Barry was absolutely right and he agrees completely, so if you receive any type of government assistance then much will be required of you. It might be mowing grass at a local business for free, it might be answering phones at a local business for free, or it might be delivering groceries from a local business to your elderly neighbors for free.

But yes, if you’re being given anything, much shall be required of you.

rogerb on February 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

For O’bama to ask the WWJD question was for me the height of hypocrisy.

FerdtheMoonCat on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I’m afraid I can’t fully agree with your conservative definition. I think a conservative is more likely to think in terms of earning (or achieving) instead of the greed of the left BUT I for one am a conservative that believes I have also been given gifts and blessings from a higher being. I, of course, am talking about God and not some government organization.

But here is the important thing difference. Leftists view what they have been given as an entitlement and contribute little that isn’t self-serving in nature. Conservatives are more apt to use what they have been given that helps society.

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

For O’bama to ask the WWJD question was for me the height of hypocrisy.

FerdtheMoonCat on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Only because we know that Obama would start lecturing Christ why His response was inadequate.

Keep in mind, for people like Obama central power by government into every aspect of our lives IS a religion. It is why his broad-beamed wife is running around trying to get the entire nation on a tofu diet. It is why he thinks there is nothing unconstitutional about forcing us all to have health insurance. It is why we all are expected to use twisty light bulbs…. etc.

In other words, Obama may go to a prayer breakfast and ask WWJD but what he really is saying is WJSD (What Jesus Should Do).

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Worth a reread, Jonathon Last’s Nov. 22, 2010 article concerning The Won gives you an idea of where this bloviating, narcissistic excuse for a leader has come from. He is bigger than religion, bigger than the Lord Himself–that’s the way JugEars sees it.

NOMOBO on February 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I don’t think we have enough videos this morning of narcissistic, moralizing, preening blowhards, do you?

Stuff Liberals Say

inviolet on February 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM

A few years ago it was “…my Muslim faith…”

Barack Obama.
The Equal Opportunity God.

TimBuk3 on February 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I have also been given gifts and blessings from a higher being…

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

You make a good point and I don’t disagree, however, we have ALL been ‘given’ these same gifts and blessings. The ‘poor’ included. The difference is, do we squander them and feed off a daily diet of victimhood and excuses in this, the land of opportunity, or do we use them to enrich our lives and provide for ourselves? I refuse to believe that I have been ‘gifted’ with any more blessings than any other American. This is America. The land of opportunity. NO ONE is standing in anyone’s way. There is no oppressor stoping any American from achieving their dream. If anything, how great a sin is it that so many have been duped into squandering their God given gifts and instead convinced that it is the responsibility of others to provide for them. And who commits the greatest sin? The one who squanders these gifts or the one who convinces them that they should?

PorchDawg on February 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM

So now Mr Obama is presenting tax bills as a “faith-based initiative”? Yes, he’s off his rocker, but the implications are heartening: does this herald the return of faith to the center (so to speak) of American politics. Oh, guess not. Jay Carney has reminded us this was not a political address. So I guess he didn’t say anything about his tax legislation after all.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on February 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Ed
0 has a lack of understanding on so many topics, its difficult to keep track, thanks for trying.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Especially when no one within the MSM will bother to call him on it. Remember? This is the same dude who can’t say “endowed by our Creator” and “one nation under God”.

Now, thanks to the MSM and the GOP elite, we are endanger of this secular socialist actually getting a second term.

katablog.com on February 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I haven’t seen Capitalist Piglet lately. Hope you didn’t eat him.
Lanceman on February 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

No, Piglet and Hawg still seem to be around.

CorporatePiggy on February 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It takes a brave soul to be anywhere around Obama when he speaks his version of religion.

While it is true that divinely generated lightning bolts through the overhead has fallen off over the last centuries, it should be noted that only a fool like comrade Obama would tempt fate to that degree.

dockywocky on February 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Obama didn’t even get the Islamic part of his statement right. Islam’s injunction to “help others” only applies to other Muslims. The Koran has quite a different take on non-Muslims. Just as Obama’s edict to “help others” only seems to be applied to certain groups, certainly not to “bitter gun-clingers”, or Flyover Country people, or anybody who isn’t a Democrat.

RebeccaH on February 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Wait, so are you saying that Obama and Jesus are different people?

Spiders from Mars on February 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

///So, I now understand that if I let Obama take as much money from earners as he thinks is religiously appropriate, then I will be able to buy my way into Paradise. But, I’ve looked at those who have already ‘gone to Paradise’, and I don’t want to spend eternity with those folks. Do I still have to tithe to Obama?

dahni on February 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Obama strangely omits any talk of “what Jesus would do” when it comes to abortion.

Hypocrite!

GarandFan on February 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

PorchDawg on February 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM

But yes, if you’re being given anything, much shall be required of you.

rogerb on February 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

The US welfare program in the 1930s was explicitly a jobs program, including the CCC and the WPA. Although workers received minimal payments and training (thanks to union objections), many families with no other employment options depended on these jobs for support. These programs were discontinued when WWII military enlistment and industrial expansion removed the need for them.

In our current system, all requirements for “earning” welfare payments were dropped, out of a misplaced belief (so the story goes) that we shouldn’t make people ashamed for taking charity.

No one in the CCC or WPA was ashamed of working for what they received.

(I have assisted in church ministries with welfare recipients who would be willing to work for their benefits, in gratitude and in order to enhance their employability, but the government programs don’t allow that option.)

And thus, now, many people are more ashamed of working than they are of taking charity.

AesopFan on February 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I have alot of experience in living in the inner-city of Akron, Ohio, My husband and I moved there from a small town in southern Oh. and knew nothing about Akron but moved there for his job. We moved into a neighborhood where we were the only white people. Our neighbors were the best in the world and loved our son to death. But as we were struggling we saw at the corner store mothers with 4 kids with brand new clothes and 200.00 tennis shoes and buying stks, while using food stamps. They would drive up in brand new cars.meanwhile my husband and i both worked differant shifts so one of us could be with our baby boy. The gov. wants to make themselves God. There are people that know how to work the system. Im sorry I see all these people “praising God” But have no promblem lying and using the system. Obama is in that mind set. He wants the Gov.to be the Saviour!Instead of making there own way in the world, the Gov. will save them!!!

lisa fox on February 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

beselfish on February 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Even Ayn Rand saw the difference between conservative and liberal altruism.

If I, as someone who does not believe in statism, use my personal funds to help the poor, Rand would call me stupid at worst.

However, were I to advocate a statist approach to helping the poor, as our President does, Rand would call me evil.

The Virtue of Selfishness is an excellent read, not least because its provocative title hides the fact that she more or less redefines the term selfishness. Natsume Soseki does much the same thing in his ‘My Individualism’ lecture.

Scott H on February 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Government will not save anyone’s soul.

Uh, did you clear this with the First Lady there bub?
And speaking of souls and redemption, here is David Horowitz explaining this very phenomenon (starts at 5:30)

Amendment X on February 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM

The purpose of taxation is to fund government.

Period.

Tim_CA on February 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Scott H on February 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

There are only two motives for giving- you give out of thoughtful and personal gratification (selfishly) or you give out of guilt or fear. The former is what one does when offering a gift. The latter is altruism. It doesn’t matter whether your conservative or liberal, altruism is a sacrifice. To hold that up as a worthy standard of human relationship is evil. For Obama to campaign for POTUS while offering sacrifice is not only evil but deliciously ironic.

Which category does your “conservative altruism” fall under?

beselfish on February 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Here’s an interesting bit of news. Rep Phil Gingrey (R-Ga) walked out in the middle of Obozo’s speech. He apparently was “disturbed and offended” by Obama’s words.His spokesperson told CBS Atlanta “While he commends the president for his attendance, Rep Gingrey wanted to hear what was in his heart and not campaign rhetoric.”
They said he left quietly and discreetly. Too bad. I wish he would have kicked a few chairs on his way out.

Xyz22 on February 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM

And for the liberal hypocrites, if Jesus was so apathetic and willing to have people turn more money over to the government, why did they crucify him?

djaymick on February 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I guess Rev. Wright was spending too much time asking God to damn America and railing about the Joooos to actually teach his flock about the Gospel.

jnelchef on February 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Uh, what is the Jewish doctrine of moderation?

When we were discussing the presidents today in prek, one of them commented that he sees that one (Obama) on the tv alot. Out of the mouth of babes…

jazzuscounty on February 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

This is pure BLASPHEMY!!!

landlines on February 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM

“It mirrors the Islamic belief that those who’ve been blessed have an obligation to use those blessings to help others, or the Jewish doctrine of moderation and consideration for others.”

Obama does not mention that Muslims “use their blessings” only to help other Muslims. Their tithing is only permitted to be used to further Islam or assist Muslims.

Colony14 on February 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I have never understood how this was supposed to mean not to pay taxes.

Luke.20
[22] Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no?
[23] But he perceived their craftiness, and said unto them, Why tempt ye me?
[24] Shew me a penny. Whose image and superscription hath it? They answered and said, Caesar’s.
[25] And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar’s, and unto God the things which be God’s.

Slowburn on February 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Possible appropriate response to such attempted appropriation of the gospel to serve “progressive” interests: shouting “Separation of church & state!” interspersed with cymbal & gong crashes (which, I just realized, parallels the famous Pauline remark about gongs & cymbals)–repeated ad nauseam.

Olo_Burrows on February 7, 2012 at 4:17 AM