Erick Erickson’s endorsement: Sweet Meteor of Death 2012; Update: Audio added

posted at 9:45 pm on February 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

This is pretty much where I’m at too, so go ahead and co-sign me to it.

I thought about Medically Induced Coma, but in the end concluded that she’s not up to the demands of the job. Besides, let’s face it: SMOD will crush Obama in the debates.

Influential conservative blogger Erick Erickson said he would endorse the “sweet meteor of death” over any of the current GOP candidates, but would back the party’s eventual nominee in the general election against President Obama…

Earlier this month, Cain endorsed “the people.” But speaking Monday on his WSB radio show, Erickson did something similar, endorsing “a great fireball from the sky annihilating us all.”…

Erickson has at various times said Ron Paul should be excluded based on the controversial newsletters that bear his name, called Santorum a “big government conservative” and said it would be “insanity” to nominate Gingrich, who in the past has supported the individual mandate…

“I doubt any of them can beat Barack Obama unless the economy gets worse, and I don’t want to be in a position of rooting for a bad economy,” he said.

Erickson said he’s hoping for a brokered convention, where some other candidate might emerge in a last-ditch effort to derail the Romney campaign.

I also fantasize about a brokered convention but Ed wrote a solid piece a few weeks ago arguing against it. Having “the establishment” broker a nominee doesn’t bother me because there’d be enormous pressure on them to choose someone who’s acceptable to grassroots conservatives too. The risk of depressed turnout if they went full RINO would be too great, and they know it. The deeper problem with a brokered nominee is throwing someone with no organization and no fundraising into a media feeding frenzy two months before the election. The only candidate I can think of who might be able to pull that off is Daniels, since he could probably raise a boatload of money quickly via his Bush and Barbour connections. (Jeb could too, but the Bush brand would be terrifying so soon after Dubya.) Even then, though, it’s a tremendous risk. Would you rather roll the dice on Mitch the Knife than stick with a battle-hardened Romney in October? What would Romney supporters do on election day if their guy was denied the nomination despite having a plurality of delegates? Anything could happen.

Honestly, my core problem with the field is less their specific weaknesses than the fact that we failed to entice a top-tier star candidate into the field against a vulnerable incumbent whom conservatives despise. I can’t get past that. Like Erickson, I’ll vote for the eventual nominee, but I can’t bring myself to choose one over the others because the feeling that they’re not our best is ever present. Deep down, I don’t think any of them are equal to the fiscal challenges ahead. How can I have a preference?

Erick says he’ll have the audio available in a bit; I’ll post it when it’s up. In the meantime, catch the fever.

Update: Here’s the audio from Erick, as promised. The SMOD bit comes near the beginning, about one-eighth of the way in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Influential conservative blogger Erick Erickson said…

Influential? What?

SparkPlug on February 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Allah, I like you more than that wierd geek Erik Erikson.

Just wait, if you love America…like I suspect you do, you will find Romney to be the best POTUS since Reagan and will be up there with the greats:

Romney
Reagan
Cooooooolidge
Lincoln
Andrew Jackson
Washington

So, just cool it with the anguish. Dude has never ever failed at something in his life. He will kick arse.

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Didn’t Ace of Spades come up with this? Or at least he’s been advocating the SMOD for POTUS long before Erickson.

PeterGun on February 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

SMOD 2012. The only candidate I’d be happy to get behind (but not in front).

Also: Newt’s Moon base idea is an elaborate attack on SMOD. Don’t let him fool you! The Moon will just spiral into the Sun when SMOD is done with our pathetic planet.

Masih ad-Dajjal on February 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Who is the Erikson guy..?/

d1carter on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I’m kind of counting on the Mayan Calendar scenario, and not just in politics. It would make things so much simpler.

malclave on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Erik Erikson is a wierd looking ginger.

If he knows so much, if Mark levin knows so much, if Sarah Palin knows so much, if Rush Limbo knows so much….. why dont they run???

It is easy to be a critic. It is much harder to be in the ring…Romney is in the ring. Ginger wierd Erik Erikson is on the sideline criticizing the warrior Romney. Sucks for him.

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Who is the Erikson guy..?/

d1carter on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

A flack that appears on CNN.

Dack Thrombosis on February 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

The MIGHTY =VAN HALEN= is putting out it’s first awesome album (and I’ve heard most of it) in 28 years (with Diamond Dave of course). Yeah, that asteroid is coming…

wildcat72 on February 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

So why doesn’t he talk about his successes as governor?

NoNails on February 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Does anyone else hear the drums?

tom daschle concerned on February 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Look where we’ve come to. Barack Obama is laughing it up. Cutting up the conservatives like butter.

We deserve to lose.

Obama 2012!

Crefonso on February 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

A cutesy, circumspect way of saying “I’m going to vote for a socialist, but I’m really gonna hate it!”

Try this on for size, fatass: grow a pair and pledge not to eat whatever sh*t sandwich the GOP tries to serve you.

Armin Tamzarian on February 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Why the hell is EE the new go-to guy at HotGas? Just make him a contributor already.

wildcat72 on February 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Well, that settles it. I’m gonna need me some kukulcan strength sun block.

abobo on February 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Ace should get the credit for this, not follow-the-leader Erikson

thebrokenrattle on February 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Erik Erikson is a wierd looking ginger.

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Cartman???

ray on February 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Earthquake of doom
Tsunami of doom
Hurricane of doom
Tornado of doom
Solar flare of doom

Any of these is better than what we have, but what we have is infinitely better than Barack.

SouthernGent on February 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

PeterGun on February 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I think he did. And if Santorum doesn’t pan out for me, I have no other choice but to endorse Maxwell.

JPeterman on February 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I hope Sweet Meteor of Death(tm) selects the Bubonic Plague as their Veep nominee.

Finally, change we can ALL believe in.

Myron Falwell on February 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Bring the Pain SMOD

ah well.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I used to think Erikson was okay but sometime last year, he began grating on my nerves. After the whole Sarah Palin meltdown, I deleted his site from my bookmarks and I’ve only been back a few times since.

joekenha on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Does anyone else hear the drums?

tom daschle concerned on February 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

‘Cuda is on Greta tonight. I’m curious to hear her thoughts on NV.

Philly on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Without a doubt. The conservative governor would be a gamble. The liberal one is a sure loss.

abobo on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

SMOD > RINO

I heartily endorse this candidate.

MadisonConservative on February 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Just great,a Near Earth Object,is going to get on the ballot!

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I wish that I had a crystal ball to prognostigate who the Veep choice would be for any one of the current contenders. Give me a conservative, articulate attack dog any day.

This is really O/T but it’s break time from the elections. These rockers have not aged well. Hard living will do that to you. Check out the slide show. You can pause on any photo for longer scrutiny. Yoiks!

onlineanalyst on February 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

the logical choice is sarah, if she changes her mind. and we know she doesn’t like romney so if he looked like the person who would be the nominee and newt and the other candidates don’t stand a chance, maybe she really would change her mind!! but anyway, she was in the 2008 election on the national ticket. that means she’s been though the tough media and obama machine, and she can learn from mistakes the mccain campaign made. she has improved from 4 years ago.

haha she just said on greta that romney is the one that obama wants to run against.

Anything could happen.

Sachiko on February 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Your shameless and incomprehensible shilling has reached the event horizon.

MadisonConservative on February 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

“Erickson did something similar, endorsing “a great fireball from the sky annihilating us all.”…”

You know…

… He may not be that far off the mark.

“The Iranian government, through a website proxy, has laid out the legal and religious justification for the destruction of Israel and the slaughter of its people.”

If Iran gets the Nuclear Bomb

Seven Percent Solution on February 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

The coming apocalypse will be sponsored by Chrysler.

carbon_footprint on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

…the fact that we failed to entice a top-tier star candidate into the field against a vulnerable incumbent whom conservatives despise. I can’t get past that.

It’s ponderously puzzling.

SlaveDog on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

=============================================

Yup,and here we are,worse off than 2008,ahem,dare I say!

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You can not, I say again, NOT post something like this without audio.

I’ll bring it.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

abobo on February 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Daniels may be a square, but I’m willing to give him a second look now. Even as the same GOP establishment that is now propping up Mitt tried to get him to run in the first place…

Myron Falwell on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Paid for by American taxpayers.

carbon_footprint on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Finally, change we can ALL believe in.

Myron Falwell on February 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Killer Bees for Sec. of State!

tetriskid on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

She says it is the foregone conclusion that Mitt is the Romney. She must have surrendered her Newtropolis moon suit and will not be in on the moon colony.

She says Newt is the best debater, but that’s about it.

Philly on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I heard SMOD smoked weed in college and once was a member of the Heaven’s Gate cult.

dforston on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

PeterGun on February 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

JPeterman on February 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Scr*w the SMOD-I’m supporting these guys. NARF!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

speaking of apocalyptic predictions, Super Bowls and retreaded ’80′s stars, I think that video has Flavor Flav in it—who also made a cameo in the Elton John, Pepsi commercial last night.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Now she backpedals and says she isn’t the one who says Mitt is the one, but others do.

Tap dancing.

Philly on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Sarah’s doing her wishy-washy thing again. Meh.

Philly on February 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Lol I linked this earlier in one of the “Polls show Obama Beating Romney” headline threads… guess I should have sent it in to the tipline haha

thirtyandseven on February 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Hey allah, how is the SMOD polling straight up against Ed’s Syphillitic Camel? That’s what the peeps wanna know…/

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I’m endorsing boobs

blatantblue on February 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

blatant blue takes barney frank for $300…..//

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Dude has never ever failed at something in his life.

Didn’t he fail in 2008?

catmman on February 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

… you will find Romney to be the best POTUS since Reagan and will be up there with the greats:
…. Dude has never ever failed at something in his life. He will kick arse.

I love satire.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

… He may not be that far off the mark.

Seven Percent Solution on February 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Seven Percent Solution:Good Intell scoop,I caught this last night,
“Kill all the Jews,Annihilate Israel”!

So,um,when will the West get tired hearing
the Supreme Leader of Iran tell all Muslims
the Shiites/Sunnis!:)

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I’m endorsing boobs

blatantblue on February 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

*looks under shirt*
Afraid I can’t help ya much there.
*siiiigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

How does Sarah Palin say so much like right now on Greta…. and yet not say anything?

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

…. Dude has never ever failed at something in his life. He will kick arse.

I love satire.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

If only it were a joke.

dforston on February 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

We might have had that in Sarah, but her career was simply sabotaged by GOPers of all types. She never had a chance because the establishment didn’t want her to win.

So we’re stuck with hoping for a gigantic asteroid to wipe us out for good, or hoping that the end of Mayan calendar does indeed elicit an implosion of the entire universe or something like that.

Wonderful.

Myron Falwell on February 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

blatant blue takes barney frank for $300…..//

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:08

NOOOOO 0OOOOOOOO

blatantblue on February 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

O/T,in case you missed it!!
—————————-

Major donors to Obama campaign are tied to fugitive who fled to Mexico
*******
*******

Submitted 1 hour ago from www10.nytimes.com

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

To quote idesign, ‘Rent Free’.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I dunno. How do you?

MadisonConservative on February 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Bunch of Perry sore-losers. I’m not too enchanted with the field, either, but if you can’t even admit that you were wrong and your great conservative hope from Texas was a really crappy candidate, and it wasn’t that all those regular folks were just too stupid to know it….

Ace, Erick, Allah, get over it. Perry was a really, really, really crappy candidate. Something like my boy TPaw, except that he raised and wasted a helluva lot more money before he gave up.

notropis on February 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Wow, I thought the RINO candy asses would go for MIC, but AP has shown himself to be a hard core conservative with his backing of SMoD.

I’m with you all the way to the bitter end…

clancy_wiggum on February 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

You mean except when he failed in his bid for Senate? And in his last bid for the presidency? And the fact his crowning accomplishment while governor was the precursor to ObamaCare?

Yeah…

amerpundit on February 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Erickson is just not worth listening to or reading. I can’t understand why he keeps getting so much attention by the people who run a far superior site.

Zetterson on February 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM

the hotheads are gonna need a lot more dope like this for the next few months allah…..

kick it on down the line…

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM

notropis on February 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I’ve had no problem admitting it.
None.
Zero.
Naddah.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Duuuude, pass it over when you’re done puffing.

abobo on February 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

blatant blue takes barney frank for $300…..//

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:08
————————————

NOOOOO 0OOOOOOOO

blatantblue on February 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

blatantblue:

DON’T GO IN THE BASEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*(Proud member of the Big Caps Brigade)
(sarc)

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

top-tier star candidate…. Mitch Daniels

I am quite amazed that Allahpundit can string together that connection. Mister Rogers and the guy in the film about oral hygiene in my junior high school health education class had more star quality and charisma.

galtani on February 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

A brokered convention is probably likely to produce the best candidate, but it seems to me that Santorum, Gingrich and Paul are too weak to keep Romney from breaking fifty percent of the delegates.

Mister Mets on February 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM

you will find Romney to be the best POTUS since Reagan and will be up there with the greats… Dude has never ever failed at something in his life. He will kick arse.

Looks like Jailbreak forgot to take his meds again. Oof. :P

Myron Falwell on February 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM

ohhh galtani, that’s some nice snark there yo. ++

style points.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Didn’t he fail in 2008?

catmman on February 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I’ll admit it; that made me smirk with glee.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I know he’s trying to be clever, but this is a total cop-out. Erickson (and some other “influential” conservatives) has been really great about telling us how bad all of these guys are, yet this is who we are stuck with and we have to make a choice. We have to make the best choice possible given the total sucktitude of the field. At least Ed bucked up and endorsed Santorum.

We can all agree that they all suck, but quit voting present Erick and pick someone. If the primary was tomorrow in California, I would go with Santorum because he is the most conservative, although he is not my ideal candidate.

I’m with AP, though, in my anger at the top-tier candidates for taking a pass. When we needed all hands on deck we had a lot of guys run for the hills (Jindal, Christie, Ryan, Pence, Daniels, Jeb, Rubio). Oh well, what’s 30-40 years of a liberal Supreme Court and total entrenchment of Obamacare?

At least these imperfect candidates we are left with had the courage to throw their hat in the ring. I will support whoever the nominee is, but I’ll vote for Santorum in the primary.

JohnInCA on February 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Zombie Apocalypse/Rage Virus 2012?

catmman on February 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Didn’t he fail in 2008?

catmman on February 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I’ll admit it; that made me smirk with glee.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I’m not one to jump on anyone but a Paultard usually, but the fruit…

…twas so low…

catmman on February 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Ron paul just said that Iran having a nuclear missile is ‘not an existential threat to Israel‘…….dude?! Except when Iran has said that they want Israel dead and gone, right Ronny P?

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Excuse me…but I quoted idesign.
idesign and I were at each other throats only a month or so ago. Now she’s virtually ‘high-fiving’ me and I’m quoting her.
The end is surely at hand…

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Don’t forget that Mahdi, the12th imam is supposed to pop out of the well. Good times, good times!

onlineanalyst on February 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

blatantblue on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

But Erickson has been highly critical of all the remaining candidates, saying the only reason Romney was seen as the eventual nominee was because “the other candidates, right now, are a pretty pathetic lot.”

Erickson has at various times said Ron Paul should be excluded based on the controversial newsletters that bear his name, called Santorum a “big government conservative” and said it would be “insanity” to nominate Gingrich, who in the past has supported the individual mandate.

Speaking Monday, Erickson called for a “pox on all their houses.”

All (attempts at) humor aside, do we really need more of our own media people ridiculing our field. There isn’t going to be a brokered convention, there isn’t going to be some deux ex machina candidate swinging in on a vine to save the day, it’s going to be one of these guys, mostly likely Romney, but maybe Santorum. Let’s put our knives away for now, shall we? This is only helping the other side.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I mean once he is hired to do a job, he has never failed. He cant force people to hire him. People are dumb generally. But, once hired, Romney has never failed an assignment.

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

kick it on down the line…

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM

ted c:I’ll raise you one,:)
===========================

Stuck In The Middle With You – Stealers Wheel
*********************************************

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Scr*w the SMOD-I’m supporting these guys. NARF!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I’m getting pretty damn close to writing in Yakko, Wakko AND Dot.

Myron Falwell on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I believe the ridiculously funny “Laura W.” conceived SMOD.

aquaviva on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

SMOD’s only serious competition is 40 days and nights of rain.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

No offense Allah and Erick, but you have to choose one of the four. At least Ed understood that you have to pick at the end of the day.

ArkyDore on February 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Wow what a high bar to pass.

Sultanofsham on February 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Spawn says that the world won’t end this year-but the Class of 2012 will be taking over.
*Whatever. The world was great-because of ’88. Grumble*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Erickson is just upset that all his slobbery kisses of Perry didn’t cause his campaign to catch fire.

gatorboy on February 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Killer Bees for Sec. of State!

tetriskid on February 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

What, you mean those insects that migrated up to the U.S. without green cards?

Might as well reelect Obama… they’d fit in well with his tax cheat Secretary of the Treasury.

;)

malclave on February 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

But just think. SMOD would be the most compelling Not-Romney to have ever entered the field.

Myron Falwell on February 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Oh my god… look at this…

The picture. LMAO!!

dforston on February 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I’m getting pretty damn close to writing in Yakko, Wakko AND Dot.

Myron Falwell on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Slappy for Sec. State.!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Erick Erickson’s endorsement: Sweet Meteor of Death 2012

If we screw around and Obama gets re-elected, we will get the Harsh Meteor of a Slow Death.

TXUS on February 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Why aren’t you addressing him as Senator.

RickB on February 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Dude has never ever failed at something in his life. He will kick arse.

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

He just lost to the dude who lost to Obama, I guess that defines success to you. But then, you’ve shown you live in an alternate universe.

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

The walkbacks and qualifiers are a flyin…

catmman on February 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

AMERICANS…have ye hope,if Finland can do it,
so goes Lady Liberty!
=======================

Finland Elects President from Conservative Party
2/5/2012
********
*********

Former Finnish Finance Minister Sauli Niinisto has won the country’s presidential elections, preliminary results show.

Niinisto will be Finland’s first president from the country’s conservative party in 50 years.
================================

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

SMOD 2012 – sign me up!

NoLeftTurn on February 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

If he had decided to run for reelection as governor of Massachusetts, he would have failed to get a second term. It’s why Romney chose not to run for reelection. I also have a sneaking suspicion he will also fail to oust Obama.

Jurisprudence on February 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

blatantblue on February 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

blatantblue:Do you have a code-breaker manuel handy,for 8)!:)

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM