Quotes of the day

posted at 8:15 pm on February 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

“The decision to require Catholic hospitals to provide contraceptives and abortifacients they deem immoral in their insurance plans, demonstrates either President Obama’s personal antagonism to religious liberty — or the degree to which he is beholden to the secular left.

Because it makes no political sense

“Obama is too politically savvy to have been caught by surprise by the backlash over this decision, so I suppose we must assume this is his worldview: That government can and must use its coercive power to force everyone — regardless of their personal or religious beliefs — to do what they know is best. Period.”

***

“Domestic Policy Council Director Cecilia Muñoz pushed back against the church’s letter, saying the policy does not force anyone to buy our use contraception.

“‘This new law will save money for millions of Americans,’ Muñoz wrote Wednesday in a White House blog post. ‘But more importantly, it will ensure Americans nationwide get the high-quality care they need to stay healthy. The Obama Administration is committed to both respecting religious beliefs and increasing access to important preventive services.’”

***

“The handling of the issue offers a hint of Obama’s approach to governing and campaigning in 2012: When confronted with a position close to his heart — and dear to the base — Obama is increasingly inclined to side with people who will vote for him even if it means enraging those who might, but probably won’t, vote for him.

“‘Who are we going to really lose over this? Ron Paul voters?’ asked a senior aide to a Senate Democrat, who thinks the administration should have handled the situation more quietly by punting a decision until after Election Day. ‘Maybe it wouldn’t have mattered. … Catholics who don’t believe in condoms aren’t going to vote for Barack Obama anyway. Let’s get real.’”

***

“As a general matter, it made perfect sense to cover contraception. Many see doing so as protecting women’s rights, and expanded contraception coverage will likely reduce the number of abortions. While the Catholic Church formally opposes contraception, this teaching is widely ignored by the faithful. One does not see many Catholic families of six or 10 or twelve that were quite common in the 1950s. Contraception might have something to do with this.

“Speaking as a Catholic, I wish the Church would be more open on the contraception question. But speaking as an American liberal who believes that religious pluralism imposes certain obligations on government, I think the Church’s leaders had a right to ask for broader relief from a contraception mandate that would require it to act against its own teachings. The administration should have done more to balance the competing liberty interests here

“‘The tensions and the suspicions on each side of the religious divide will have to be squarely addressed,’ Obama said back in 2006. ‘And each side will need to accept some ground rules for collaboration.’ I wish the president had tried harder to find such rules here.”

***

“[T]he issue of the government’s effort to curtail the freedom of religious institutions to conduct operations according to their moral principles seems to have galvanized a tenuous alliance between the Catholic left and the Catholic right. Michael Sean Winters, a columnist for the ultra-progressive newspaper the National Catholic Reporter, declared that Obama had “lost my vote” after the rule was issued. He wrote: ‘[T]he president’s decision … essentially told us, as Catholics, that there is no room in this great country of ours for the institutions our church has built over the years.’

“Cardinal Roger Mahony, the former archbishop of Los Angeles, used to be derided by Catholic conservatives for his hobnobbing with pro-abortion-rights Democratic politicians and for his expensive and avant-garde Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. Yet Mahony has turned out to be one of the most vehement opponents of the new rule. ‘I cannot imagine a more direct and frontal attack on freedom of conscience than this ruling today,’ he wrote on his blog…

“[I]t is refreshing to see that no matter how disaffected from their church’s teachings some Catholics might feel, they believe that its organizations have a right to act in accordance with its principles.”

***

“Both radicalism and maliciousness are at work in Obama’s decision — an edict delivered with a sneer. It is the most transparently anti-Catholic maneuver by the federal government since the Blaine Amendment was proposed in 1875 — a measure designed to diminish public tolerance of Romanism, then regarded as foreign, authoritarian and illiberal. Modern liberalism has progressed to the point of adopting the attitudes and methods of 19th-century Republican nativists…

“Obama’s decision also reflects a certain view of liberalism. Classical liberalism was concerned with the freedom to hold and practice beliefs at odds with a public consensus. Modern liberalism uses the power of the state to impose liberal values on institutions it regards as backward. It is the difference between pluralism and anti-­clericalism.

“The administration’s ultimate motivation is uncertain. Has it adopted a radical secularism out of conviction, or is it cynically appealing to radical secularists? In either case, the war on religion is now formally declared.”

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Doesn’t he have a garden ho?
Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Gasp. I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt by presuming that to be a typo. There is precedent:

I bet a few humans would bite, so

toe

speak. More than a few.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I believe you must have accidentally transposed silent ‘e’s’ there.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Doesn’t he have a garden ho?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

He got ho’s in different area codes.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM

It’s a little fuzzy what with all the peach schnapps (get it?)and everything, but I believe we agreed to disagree. Some even agreed to be persuaded, but they were just lousy agnostics and the rest of us secretly mocked them behind their backs for being wishy-washy. You had a freshman year, didn’t you? Didn’t you guys stick to the agenda?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I wound up being surrounded by Christians who attempted to convert me and took me to retreats. Not that many arguments though, I knew it was hopeless, but I was too polite to say no the first few times.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Doesn’t he have a garden ho?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Don’t you think it would sure be a kick to be married to fun gals like Michell O or Hillary?

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Been to a Cardiac ward lately? I have. Recently.

The looks on their faces tells me they really never did find the answers.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Actually I have been to a variety of hospital wards over the past year and the looks on most of the peoples’ faces told me they were in pain and distress in equal measures.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I believe you must have accidentally transposed silent ‘e’s’ there.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Maybe in the second case.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

you’re welcome

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM

You just kept going for the snacks, didn’t you? Tsk, tsk.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Maybe in the second case.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Hmmmm. That other word is demeaning to woman. Not toe.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

He got ho’s in different area codes.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Ho-p & change.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Well both Bill and him are having a blast, so yes, it seems that way.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM

you’re welcome

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Oh good Lord. I’ll never trust another link from you again. “The Abominable Ho-Man?” Seriously? Now I suppose this laptop is infected.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM

You just kept going for the snacks, didn’t you? Tsk, tsk.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

if snacks means what I think it means then that’s why I kept going to church functions when I was young..

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I just had to wash my brain out with soap

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Hmmmm. That other word is demeaning to woman. Not toe.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I don’t believe in the concept of words being demeaning to women. Maybe sentences and ideas, but not individual words.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

neuquenguy on February 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Sorry for overlooking your comment to me . I was engaged in another conversation. I think you might misunderstand. The way I do Allahs QOTD is a little different perhaps. I read not just the quoted selections, but the entire articles. I then merely brief and reflect what I glean from the read. It is not my opinion necessarily. But rather my opinion of the articles intent. I basically am just thinking of what I read. Its not an endorsement of there writing. I will go back and look to make sure hold on a sec……… yep that was my take of that article. Can’t say I disagree with it though. Based on the stats sited for Catholic support of 0 it would seem that they have had an epiphany all of a sudden in their understanding of 0. For what its worth I frankly don’t understand why Catholics want to remain Catholic if they don’t care to embrace Catholic doctrine. I am not Catholic, but do have many Catholic friends. I did not base my comment on anecdotal evidence.
At any rate I meant no insult or injury to you.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Igor, c’mon. It’s actually really simple.

Just take every fact you know to be true. Not theory, not conjecture, not idea or argument – just fact. That you know to be true.

Then, in your mind create two columns. On the heading of one put “God’ and on the other “No God”.

Then plug in to each of those columns those things you think are evidence of one or the other.

There’s your answer.

Don’t complicate the simple.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM

tee hee :) no viruses, just mellow beats

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

The idea behind the word, O Evasive One. Why don’t you ever comment in the headlines?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Well both Bill and him are having a blast, so yes, it seems that way.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I was trying to be sarcastic but you have a point.
They might use the trappings of power for ego reasons but from a personal standpoint I don’t think they feel a whole lot of affection for their wives—-and the feeling from the wives is probably mutual.

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

tee hee :) no viruses, just mellow beats

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

You’re a College Republican currently, aren’t you?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM

The libs are clearly worried about that “I don’t deserve a second term” quote if they’re asking him to “clarify” on Super Bowl Sunday. I say play it all year until Democrat ears bleed…

The Mega Independent on February 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

what will these feminists go after next? Single letters…consonants for sure, probably even vowels.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Bill & Hill have worked out some kind of uneasy detente, I think, while Obama and M’Obama seem to genuinely like each other. I know she wasn’t too happy with him in the past when he ditched her with the girls all the time, but now he ‘works’ from home and there’s plenty of bucks, so all is well.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

You’re a College Republican currently, aren’t you?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM

for the last ten years, yeah…seems I might be stuck

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

So this is how it’s going to be? Trying to form some kind of Bros before Ladies alliance? Nice try.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Michael Gerson,
So now Catholics are finally seeing that war has been declared by 0 against the citizens of the US. Rich, just, rich. It affects Catholics so now its just now happening.Where the hell have you been?

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM

My question exactly.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Cleombrotus
Sorry to have missed your comment to me. I was engaged in another conversation. Amazing is how different folks can have such differing opinions about what someone post’s. See my reply above ^ to neuquenguy. You found agreement with my assessment of the article neuquenguy did not.
Perception/Reality at play yet again.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM

OT: Obama over 50% in new ABC/WaPo poll: Obama 51% / Romney 45%, approval/disapproval at 50/46

Has Newt torpedoed Mitt’s chances already?

DBear on February 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM

for the last ten years, yeah…seems I might be stuck

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Ha ha. My advice would to be draw it out for as long as possible. Just keep changing majors and starting over. Then go to grad school. That is a sweet, sweet gig.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM

neuquenguy
there=their or is it they’re. Its late I’m tired.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Well, I’m also familiar with Mr. Gerson’s work.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I’m firmly in the ladies before bros camp :)

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I knew that the Clinton’s were so phony from the first 60 minutes interview. Their constant holding hands even while walking down the airstairs. I love my wife very much but I’d prefer not to trip walking down stairs. Bill would carry that oversize bible around. Going to adopt when Chelsea leaves, Chelsea going to be a doctor. Make me puke.
As far as the Obamas, you didn’t see the pic on Martha’s vineyard where she and he are doing their own thing w/those infernal GD texting devices.

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I’m firmly in the ladies before bros camp :)

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM

That’s more like it. :-D

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Has Newt Mitt torpedoed Mitt’s chances already?

DBear on February 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Normally I don’t do a whole lot of that striking thing when I’m being serious.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Well, I’m also familiar with Mr. Gerson’s work.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Did you and I have a similar take on Gerson’s article?

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Maybe so, it can’t be much fun being married to a blockhead. Still, they seem happy to me. My husband and I aren’t always tethered to each other. For example, sometimes he is asleep. But we’re happy.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I’ve thought long and hard about it, and “No God” wins by a mile.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

The idea behind the word doesn’t apply to ALL women as far as I know. And I didn’t understand the second question.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Offensive male grunts.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Obama wants to tap into anti-Mormon bias. He needs to appear a Christian.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

yeah, he just attacked the religion freedoms in this country with his contraceptive stance and he’s going to attack Romney’s faith from his position of a ‘devout Christian’ which everybody knows it’s….umm fake…yeah, great strategy, especially after he pissed off just about every single Christian religious group, he’ll add the Mormons to the club :-)…must be the single most idiotic election strategy his campaign could possibly come up with…reason why they won’t…they are smarter than that and they know better…

jimver on February 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Says Igor the galloping gay Atheist.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I did the whole atheist thing…it sucked. God is love.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that Igor.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Says Igor the galloping gay Atheist.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM

religious freedoms, that is…

jimver on February 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I was trying to be sarcastic but you have a point.

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Well in Bill’s case certainly. But I think O does have some genuine affection for his “definitely never angry” wife.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

This is Igor in 3..2..1.. I’m not gay!

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I’ve thought long and hard about it, and “No God” wins by a mile.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I wondered where you went off to. Had some time for serious reflection, eh? I would like to be able to tell you that it doesn’t matter that you have so deliberately rejected faith in God, and that just by living a good and worthwhile life, and by doing goodly and charitable acts that you may yet win a seat in Heaven. I’d like to tell you that, but it would be a lie. You are doomed, brother, doomed. Doomed to spend all of eternity regretting the rashness of your decision. So that will most likely suck for you. So there’s no hope of reconciling with your ancestral Talmudic faith, either? Because that actually may be a serious loophole. Not for certain, but possibly.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Offensive male grunts.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

offensive roving eyeballs

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:24 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Face it Cyn, you’ve become a feminist.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

This is me in 3…2…1.. We know Igor, we know.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I didn’t read the entire article as you did but just from the QOTD I had to ask that same question. Better late than never, I’d say for a guy like Gerson. I just wonder whether or not he’ll draw the necessary connections from this point onward.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Okay, that is a distinction without a difference and do you know what the headlines are on this site? I’ve never seen where you’ve made a comment there. I just wondered why, because as you know, I am very inquisitive.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

This is Igor in 3..2..1.. I’m not gay!

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Are you just trying to provoke me?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

OK, just so you’ve made your choice.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Face it Cyn, you’ve become a feminist.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Sugarplum, I’ve always been a feminist. I’m just not sure that you and I agree on what the definition of that word is.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Are you just trying to provoke me?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I think he’s just trying to tease you in a clumsy and affectionate way. At least, I hope so. You’re married, right Bmore? To a lady?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

That’s more like it. :-D

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I’m not sure you got the joke, but you probably did.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Nah.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Good night everyone. Good night Igor ; )

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I’m not sure you got the joke, but you probably did.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Oh. So you’re saying that he was just trying to affirm his heterosexuality rather than show solidarity with females in general? I’m sure you must be wrong.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I’m doomed.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM

latah Bmore, peace out homey

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

offensive roving eyeballs

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:24 AM

The very existence of males.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Happily 27 years to a wonderful, better then I deserve lady. But I do love me some Igor.
Good night.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM

My sentiments, exactly.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Good night everyone. Good night Igor ; )

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Buena suerte, Bmore.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I’m doomed.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Well, there’s always hope for a deathbed conversion. As long as it’s sincere!

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM

super duper wrong

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I sometimes read them, but as you know I either attack Newt or try to make jokes.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

The very existence of males.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Yes, because objecting to the use of a violent term that denotes sex trafficking is akin to wishing that all males did not exist. Excellent deduction there, Einstein brothers.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I’m sure I’ll agree with whatever definition you are likely to have.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

So they’re boring to you? What about the ones that portray Newt in an unflattering light? How can you resist?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

The very existence of males.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

penises as a legitimate appendage

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Good night everyone. Good night Igor ; )

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Happy dreams!

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

now you’re being sexist…why can’t guys be ho’s?

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

now you’re being sexist…why can’t guys be ho’s?

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Ha ha. Show me where I stated that it could only be against females?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I’m sure you implied it somewhere…details! mere details

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Ya uchiL Ruskiy adin mEs’ats
SkOl’ka vam let?
MnE nUzhin vrAch

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Nothing like a liberal vs. Catholic debate on contraception.

Meanwhile, most policies covered contraception with a co-pay. Now it is regulated free. I haven’t done the numbers but if you had maj med, you weren’t stuck and running to abort. It is a BS shit that this will lower abortions.

bazil9 on February 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Ya uchiL Ruskiy adin mEs’ats
SkOl’ka vam let?
MnE nUzhin vrAch

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:47 AM

uchilA, but pretty good for one month. And we don’t talk about ages, do we. And I don’t think you need a doctor, yet.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I just never thought this is something I should be doing here.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

LOL I was sure that was just gibberish. You never said if you lost money on the Super Bowl or not.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I just never thought this is something I should be doing here.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Ooooh. Is it forbidden among your people? Are you in the Eastern Time Zone?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I (a) don’t bet (b) don’t like football. I only watched the last half hour when it really got interesting.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Ooooh. Is it forbidden among your people? Are you in the Eastern Time Zone?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM

My people are everywhere. But now I have to go. Good night.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Ah. You know, if you just told me everything about yourself, I would quickly lose interest and leave you alone.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:58 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Please tell her Igor! Then we are done reading the soap opera.

bazil9 on February 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Please tell her Igor! Then we are done reading the soap opera.

bazil9 on February 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Why, uh, thank you, bazil for that unexpected show of support.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Oh, another note. This “decision” does not effect Catholics only, it effects all Religions. I’m interested in hearing from the Dr. Dobsons, Billy Graham Assoc. and many other large organizations.
bluefox on February 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You are right. There are many Baptist hospitals, etc this would impact. I’m assuming Obama wants them to close their doors so the govt can buy the property/buildings. I don’t know where he thinks he’s going to find enough doctors to cover the ones that refuse to work for him, but dictators usually find a way.

txhsmom on February 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I actually do support you. Carry on.

bazil9 on February 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

txhsmom on February 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Hell, find enough to take Medicare. Doctors? Heh..where are they?

bazil9 on February 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I actually do support you. Carry on.

bazil9 on February 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

LOL Well, to tell the truth, it’s just a game. He’ll never divulge anything voluntarily so I amuse myself by trying to trick him into it. Like chess, but much, much lamer. He’s a good sport, but don’t tell him I told you that. :-D

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Night all HotAirers.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 2:14 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Eh, I have engaged him myself- my friend Meaty here warned me. All good Cyn. I figured that he had to be in a border state to be as angry as he was. No give. He is a amusing.

bazil9 on February 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

And where are all those military officers who took an oath to the United States Constitution, which includes the First Amendment? Oh that’s right, busy fighting for Islamand about the only way the Pentagon can order any more Sharia compliance from the troops would be to order all of them to convert to Islam. In reality it is a three legged anti-American alliance: Muslims, Leftists and our own military.

RasThavas on February 6, 2012 at 3:07 AM

mitt rules, obama drools

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I struggle with this issue. Religions shouldn’t have veto power over government. The First Amendment by no means gives religions such a veto. If we think a government policy is a good policy, it should not be blocked by the goofy ideas of a particular religion. I partially agree with Obama’s decision. On the other hand, if we respected people’s freedom to contract, there would be no insurance mandates. If we cease micromanaging by mandates, conflicts between religion and government are less likely to occur.

thuja on February 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM