Quotes of the day

posted at 8:15 pm on February 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

“The decision to require Catholic hospitals to provide contraceptives and abortifacients they deem immoral in their insurance plans, demonstrates either President Obama’s personal antagonism to religious liberty — or the degree to which he is beholden to the secular left.

Because it makes no political sense

“Obama is too politically savvy to have been caught by surprise by the backlash over this decision, so I suppose we must assume this is his worldview: That government can and must use its coercive power to force everyone — regardless of their personal or religious beliefs — to do what they know is best. Period.”

***

“Domestic Policy Council Director Cecilia Muñoz pushed back against the church’s letter, saying the policy does not force anyone to buy our use contraception.

“‘This new law will save money for millions of Americans,’ Muñoz wrote Wednesday in a White House blog post. ‘But more importantly, it will ensure Americans nationwide get the high-quality care they need to stay healthy. The Obama Administration is committed to both respecting religious beliefs and increasing access to important preventive services.’”

***

“The handling of the issue offers a hint of Obama’s approach to governing and campaigning in 2012: When confronted with a position close to his heart — and dear to the base — Obama is increasingly inclined to side with people who will vote for him even if it means enraging those who might, but probably won’t, vote for him.

“‘Who are we going to really lose over this? Ron Paul voters?’ asked a senior aide to a Senate Democrat, who thinks the administration should have handled the situation more quietly by punting a decision until after Election Day. ‘Maybe it wouldn’t have mattered. … Catholics who don’t believe in condoms aren’t going to vote for Barack Obama anyway. Let’s get real.’”

***

“As a general matter, it made perfect sense to cover contraception. Many see doing so as protecting women’s rights, and expanded contraception coverage will likely reduce the number of abortions. While the Catholic Church formally opposes contraception, this teaching is widely ignored by the faithful. One does not see many Catholic families of six or 10 or twelve that were quite common in the 1950s. Contraception might have something to do with this.

“Speaking as a Catholic, I wish the Church would be more open on the contraception question. But speaking as an American liberal who believes that religious pluralism imposes certain obligations on government, I think the Church’s leaders had a right to ask for broader relief from a contraception mandate that would require it to act against its own teachings. The administration should have done more to balance the competing liberty interests here

“‘The tensions and the suspicions on each side of the religious divide will have to be squarely addressed,’ Obama said back in 2006. ‘And each side will need to accept some ground rules for collaboration.’ I wish the president had tried harder to find such rules here.”

***

“[T]he issue of the government’s effort to curtail the freedom of religious institutions to conduct operations according to their moral principles seems to have galvanized a tenuous alliance between the Catholic left and the Catholic right. Michael Sean Winters, a columnist for the ultra-progressive newspaper the National Catholic Reporter, declared that Obama had “lost my vote” after the rule was issued. He wrote: ‘[T]he president’s decision … essentially told us, as Catholics, that there is no room in this great country of ours for the institutions our church has built over the years.’

“Cardinal Roger Mahony, the former archbishop of Los Angeles, used to be derided by Catholic conservatives for his hobnobbing with pro-abortion-rights Democratic politicians and for his expensive and avant-garde Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. Yet Mahony has turned out to be one of the most vehement opponents of the new rule. ‘I cannot imagine a more direct and frontal attack on freedom of conscience than this ruling today,’ he wrote on his blog…

“[I]t is refreshing to see that no matter how disaffected from their church’s teachings some Catholics might feel, they believe that its organizations have a right to act in accordance with its principles.”

***

“Both radicalism and maliciousness are at work in Obama’s decision — an edict delivered with a sneer. It is the most transparently anti-Catholic maneuver by the federal government since the Blaine Amendment was proposed in 1875 — a measure designed to diminish public tolerance of Romanism, then regarded as foreign, authoritarian and illiberal. Modern liberalism has progressed to the point of adopting the attitudes and methods of 19th-century Republican nativists…

“Obama’s decision also reflects a certain view of liberalism. Classical liberalism was concerned with the freedom to hold and practice beliefs at odds with a public consensus. Modern liberalism uses the power of the state to impose liberal values on institutions it regards as backward. It is the difference between pluralism and anti-­clericalism.

“The administration’s ultimate motivation is uncertain. Has it adopted a radical secularism out of conviction, or is it cynically appealing to radical secularists? In either case, the war on religion is now formally declared.”

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

*Looks Around..Wife is not around*..I just want to state for the record..Liz Cheney is a cutie!!..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

And I bet Obama will still get a majority of the catholic vote!

ElenaKagan on February 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Let’s be clear. Obama picked this fight.

Ampersand on February 5, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Good Point..Now let’s take the fight to him..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Republican candidates better start using half time in America and they better do it damn quick, because the President will.

Half time in America- super bowl commercial- unite America!

Speakup on February 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I tried being an atheist once-but I didn’t have enough faith.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

+eleventy!! Personally I’m an agnostic (who respects religion) and can’t logically wrap my head around the leap of faith oxymoron atheism requires.

Ampersand on February 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

As long as the Catholic Church refuses to excommunicate Nancy Pelosi or Joe Biden or Andrew Cuomo who is divorced and shacking up with his girlfriend in addition to being pro-abortion, I have a hard time giving a damn about this.

When I lived in San Diego in 1989-90, the Bishop there actually did excommunicate a state representative after she voted for several pro-abortion bills. It didn’t hurt her politically but I admired the Church for making the stand. The other Bishops need to start doing the same to every Catholic member of Congress who voted for this legislative abomination. Otherwise they are not being serious or consistent.

rockmom on February 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Am I the only one who continues to be outraged by Stephanopolis’s (sp?) correcting (XX) Obama during a 2008 interview when Obama referred to “my Muslim faith”? I continue to think that Steph gave the election to Obama by leading Obama to correct that “misstatement.”

GaltBlvnAtty on February 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

No. You’re not the only one.

Cleombrotus on February 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

To understand Obama, think of an evil Howdy Doody.

bigmike on February 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I prefer an evil Alfred E. Neuman

Cleombrotus on February 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Ampersand on February 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

What leap of faith?

Igor R. on February 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

suck it Boston

DHChron on February 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Good Point..Now let’s take the fight to him..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

agreed.

And I’m no Catholic and I disagree with their stance on contraception. I think they are wrong when they think this is just an issue hardcore Catholics will care about. Even when I disagree with religion I respect their freedom. That’s something I would think Atheist would actually rally behind… logically at least.

Ampersand on February 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM

And I bet Obama will still get a majority of the catholic vote!

ElenaKagan on February 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM

No, that will be the votes of those who call themselves catholic for whatever weird reason they have to do so, not the vote of practicing Catholics. Unfortunately there are enough of the former group to give us all a bad name.

neuquenguy on February 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM

No. You’re not the only one.

Cleombrotus on February 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

and the “call to prayer” sounds like someone trying to do an immitation a cat giving birth- nothing beautiful about that screech either. Sorry Mo

FlaMurph on February 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Ampersand on February 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM

As an atheist, I find Obama’s assault on religion horrifying.

Igor R. on February 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM

What leap of faith?

Igor R. on February 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

That you know what happens after this life. Or that you know the truth about the existence of a higher being.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

As an atheist, I find Obama’s assault on religion horrifying.

Igor R. on February 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM

If you think it looks bad from where you stand…

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM

neuquenguy on February 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The catholic church is actually close to progressive. We just gotta get them to lighten up on the social issues.

ElenaKagan on February 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Ampersand on February 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Like I said..We need to take the fight to Obie..Our Freedoms are getting trampled on..It is time to take a stand..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

GaltBlvnAtty on February 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

No. You’re not the only one.

Cleombrotus on February 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I hate Obama with passion, but there is more than one way to interpret what he was trying to say and what the correction was about. I don’t believe Obama is a Muslim. He is culturally sympathetic to Muslims, but I believe he is an atheist just like me. He is of course lying when he says he is a Christian.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Ampersand on February 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

which religion? all religions? they can’t ALL be true, now can they? you know what can be true tho? that they are all a bunch of bull!

DBear on February 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

As an atheist, I find Obama’s assault on religion horrifying.

Igor R. on February 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Much respect.

As cheesy as it is I feel like I should make a “First they came for” reference here.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM

rockmom on February 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

It is not the Catholic Church, but these politician’s particular bishops who must make this determination. They might or might not have good reasons to act in these cases, but it doesn’t seem logical to me to indict the whole church (which includes the faithful) on account of some bishops on whose actions we disagree.

neuquenguy on February 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM

this guy Obama’s kind of a tool

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Well, this is like saying it takes a leap of faith not to believe there are little green men under your bed. Anything is possible, but we don’t typically believe in things for which there is no evidence (outside of religion and we don’t consider it any giant leap of faith.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Michael Gerson,
So now Catholics are finally seeing that war has been declared by 0 against the citizens of the US. Rich, just, rich. It affects Catholics so now its just now happening.Where the hell have you been?

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM

My question exactly.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:06 AM

If you think it looks bad from where you stand…

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Hi Cyn! Did your SiL pass away?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Hi Cyn! Did your SiL pass away?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Hi. Yes. On Thursday night. Still doesn’t seem real.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Much respect.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I find any assault on the freedom to believe in anything and practice beliefs that don’t hurt other people horrifying. It’s more horrifying when it’s something central to how people view themselves.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I agree completely but the objection is to Stephanopulus’s sycophantic covering of O’s butt in clear violation of journalistic standards. At best.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

DBear on February 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I never said any of them are true. They can all be wrong but I can respect the right of people to be wrong.

Or… now let me blow your mind… If God exists and is omnipotent and infinite being capable of infinite power then yes. They ALL can be true.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Hi. Yes. On Thursday night. Still doesn’t seem real.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’m sorry once again. How is your husband taking it?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Rachel Maddow is such a liar. The Catholic Church is directly targeted by this policy. To be exempt from this policy you need to meet 4 specific criteria:

1) “…has the inculcation of religious values as its purpose
2) primarily employs persons who share its religious tenets
3) primarily serves persons who share its religious tenets
4) is a non-profit organization.

The church and it’s associated charity groups, schools, hospitals, and charity groups meet criteria 1 and 4 but not 2 and 3, therefor we are not exempt.

If we are to meet criteria 2 and 3, then we must turn away those (for employment and those in need) who do not share our religious beliefs. So now we discriminate on the basis of religion??

I don’t like to use the word hate, but I hate Obama.

tommer74 on February 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I also happen to believe the same thing (though he can be agnostic too, not necessarily atheist)…he is in no way a practicing Christian, and I don’t understand why the pretense, his adoring crowds will adore him no less if he admits he’s not one….

jimver on February 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I’m sorry once again. How is your husband taking it?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Hmmm. I don’t think it feels real to him yet either. He’s the tough guy type. He is busying himself with arrangements, her house, the dog, etc.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Dire Straits

QOTD songs.

First one don’t listen if you are Catholic and easily offended. It is Frank Zappa after all. Some folks just don’t dig his form of satire. You have been forewarned.
Second one is subtle and only has one brief reference to QOTD. It is however less offensive to those with a propensity to being offended.
For the record the second song is a better listen.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

this guy Obama’s kind of a tool

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Yeah, he seemed so nice and friendly at first, especially for a lying Marxist, and he is still kind of nice, if you are impressed by the crease in people’s pants, but somehow not so friendly.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

How are you?

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Obama…more like Nobama!

I should copyright that. you heard it here first

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I would just like to say again..I am so sorry for your loss..The world is a lot lesser place without her..God Bless your family..

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

You’re right. This is not an assault on the Catholic Church. Not only. It is an assault on the Constitution. Do you have any idea what is going on in Canada right now in terms of religious freedoms, let alone the freedom of speech?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Michael Gerson,

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I am not sure what you are talking about, unless you are buying the MSM BS. The vast majority of Catholics I know have known this for a long time (and did not vote for Obama). I know the phony statistics about phony catholics that the phony media has fed us about Obama support fits nicely with anti-catholic biases. The catholic church cannot do anything about the millions of people who identify themselves as catholics because of where their parents were born and not because of their faith, unless they have an army going around interviewing everyone who calls themselves catholic and paint a scarlet letter on those who don’t pass the muster,

neuquenguy on February 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

How are you?

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Hi guys. Thanks. Dire, I’m just hoping this isn’t going to be some kind of Trifecta, after this and what happened on Christmas Eve. :-O

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

jimver on February 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

You can’t be elected President if you are an admitted atheist or agnostic in the US. Not all who voted for him were groupies, some thought they had rational reasons, which of course were anything but.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

the man has creases in his mom jeans…that’s impressive. He’s only Marxist when he needs to be and just cause he was born in Kenya? That’s no big deal.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I don’t like to use the word hate, but I hate Obama.

tommer74 on February 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Read Proverbs 6:16-19 lately?

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Unfortunately Stephie isn’t the only one. It’s like there is a force field around O that prevents them from anything but adoring coverage no matter what he does.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Are you adopting her dog?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

They ALL can be true.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Only in the realm of eternity; not in the temporal realm.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Let’s not even think in the terms of trifecta..

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM

When you begin to understand “spirits” (not ghosts) it starts to make sense.

But it gets a bit more frightening at the same time.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

jimver on February 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Obama wants to tap into anti-Mormon bias. He needs to appear a Christian.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I don’t think anyone knows where he was born. He may not know himself with certainty.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:05 AM

There is a difference in and atheist(agnostic) who doesn’t actively believe in God, the afterlife or higher existence, and and Atheist who believes there is no God and that there is no higher existence.

And I know that an agnostic can technically be described as a type of atheist. But I think there is a difference between atheist and Atheists. A distinction I don’t feel like getting too into now.

And even though atheist love to use “science” as a shield I have to say it’s my fascination with theoretical physics that keeps me from joining the club.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

DBear on February 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Every single religion can’t be 100% true, no. But many of them could be mostly/somewhat true.

Atheism says that there is a 100% chance that every single religion is 100% false. That’s quite a leap of faith to make.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Obama wants to tap into anti-Mormon bias. He needs to appear a Christian.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Well in this particular case he certainly took the wrong approach if that’s his goal.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Are you adopting her dog?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

He is a large airedale who seems to hate men and fear small children. Fortunately, the purchase agreement my sil signed promised to return him to the breeder in the event she could no longer care for him. He was never ‘altered’ and the breeder said that since his bloodlines were so impeccable, that well, he’ll probably end up being a stud. Now don’t I feel silly typing that.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Let’s not even think in the terms of trifecta..

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Sigh. Not to mention now there are two houses and two estates to deal with.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Sweet Emotion is brilliant as is the LP Toys in the Attic..But let’s take it down a couple of notches..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Sigh..

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Well I’m fascinated with physics too, and the question that actually interests me the most is why the laws of physics are so consistent in the known universe. Who or what is responsible for it, not in the creative sense, but in the maintenance sense? But as far as the “creator” is concerned, “his” existence doesn’t answer any fundamental questions, because who created him?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Obama…more like Nobama!

I should copyright that. you heard it here first

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I’m sorry to say it’s an old term.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

The senior aide said “Catholics who don’t believe in condoms aren’t going to vote for Barack Obama anyway. Let’s get real.” I think they’re right. Evangelicals probably outnumber Catholics – they might be expecting dumb hillbillies to be frightened and confused by Mormon Mitt and vote for the Christian.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I’m sorry to say it’s an old term.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

what, WHAT!!

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Only in the realm of eternity; not in the temporal realm.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Actually if you start from the belief that God exists and that God is an infinite being then you are wrong. Just because your limited mental capabilities can’t wrap your head around it doesn’t mean it isn’t possible.

Again, I’m not a religious person. I just recognize the disconnect between logic and faith. And that disconnect goes both ways.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I have only a vague idea that it’s improving slightly. But they have no constitutional protection so it’s always a function of the government in charge. I know just a year ago they were trying to prosecute people, including Mark Steyn, for offensive speech.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Could be, although I would expect “hillbillies” to perceive Obama as particularly foreign.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Dire
Its hard to beat a girl playing the sax, I should know my wife plays. I never beat her. The bonus was the elephant tattoo. Nice song, keep em coming.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

But, again, “infinite” has to do with eternity; not temporality.

You’re applying God’s characteristics to man’s condition and demanding that they follwo the same rules. They do not.

In our realm of existence there are rules which God has made inviolable and one of them is the Law of Non-Contradiction.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Thtat’s ok, this is the zoological meaning of the word.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM

The sax is awesome..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Only in the case iof the miraculous will God temporarlity suspend the laws of nature. And then, only as evidence, not as sideshow.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Thtat’s ok, this is the zoological meaning of the word.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Well, I hope he will have a long and happy life doing what comes zoologically.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

That just shows you’re inability to wrap your head around the concept in infinite. Not an insult. It’s an almost impossible concept for our minds to grasp.

It’s just like the question of where does space end and what’s past that.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Well, I hope he will have a long and happy life doing what comes zoologically.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Yup, HIS life just got better.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

No. You’re not the only one.

Cleombrotus on February 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Thanks. I am glad there are at least two of us.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM

transcript from the oval office:

“You never know with these southern hillbillies Mr. President. They’re strange backwoods folks with little education and crazy ideas about Saviors and 2000 year old books! It couldn’t hurt to try, right? I like the cut of your jib Mr. President. You’re a half white Adonis.”

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Yup, HIS life just got better.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Pardon?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Not to pile on, and certainly not to butt in, but doesn’t that depend upon what those “fundamental questions” are?

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM

It’s just like the question of where does space end and what’s past that.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM

All I’m really saying is that just about anything is possible in some sense. What if we are just programs on “his” computer? What if “we” are a direct manifestation of “him”. There are just so many possibilities one can come up with that believing in anything not supporting by evidence is irrational. I can’t fully claim I know anything for sure, which would make me an agnostic, but agnostic in the same sense that I don’t know for sure there are no little green men under my bed, which was just some random thing I said.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM

But, again, “infinite” has to do with eternity; not temporality.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Ok. I’m using the term infinite in a different way that you are. Not temporal only but in every way. YOU are limiting the concept of God man’s conditions. I’m actually trying to say you can’t limit God’s characteristics to man’s understanding. I see no reason that if God has infinite power “he” can’t do what you think is contradictory, or why God would need to.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:45 AM

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

If you start seeing him emphasizing his Scotch-Irish heritage, you’ll know where it’s all going.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:45 AM

GaltBlvnAtty on February 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I’m still wondering why more aren’t troubled by the idea of the majority of voters handing over the keys to the most powerful position of political influence in the world to a thrid rate junior Senator from Chicago with no legislative accomplishments and legitimately questionable personal characteristics and associations.

In a sane world, this would not be happening.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how eager adults are to enter into these theological debates. Maybe it’s just me, but weren’t we pretty much done with this by freshman year?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Pardon?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Well, the dog’s life in the zoological sense of the word. But I’m probably wrong, since I’m sure he’ll be treated a lot worse otherwise.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Careful, you might be entering into the Can-God-create-a-rock-so-heavy-He-can’t-lift-it zone.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM

this thread violates conversational law – never talk politics or religion :)

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Was anything definitively resolved?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but weren’t we pretty much done with this by freshman year?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Yeah, it’s about that age when men actually think they have the answers. So they stop asking and settled for whatever it is their culture has told them they’re supposed to be.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM

this thread violates conversational law – never talk politics or religion :)

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Well I usually try to turn all threads into jokefests, but in this case that would be cruel to some.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

What? No, the lady is incredibly kind. I just wasn’t sure who you were making the distinction with. You said

Yup, HIS life just got better.

As opposed to whom? My deceased sil? Being primitively superstitious I believe that she has left this world for the next one, which is infinitely better. As opposed to the rest of us? Maybe so. Although I’m not sure that I’d be satisfied with nothing to do all day but eat kibble and copulate.

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Obama has an intellect rivaled only by garden tools

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Was anything definitively resolved?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

It’s a little fuzzy what with all the peach schnapps (get it?)and everything, but I believe we agreed to disagree. Some even agreed to be persuaded, but they were just lousy agnostics and the rest of us secretly mocked them behind their backs for being wishy-washy. You had a freshman year, didn’t you? Didn’t you guys stick to the agenda?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

If you were a dog, that would be an almost ideal “job description”. And you substitute “kibble” for “steak and lobster” and I bet a few humans would bite, so toe speak. More than a few.

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Obama has an intellect rivaled only by garden tools

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Doesn’t he have a garden ho?

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Aha. Like you?

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

In a sane world, this would not be happening.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM

It’s not sane. I just read your post to my wife. Well said.

arnold ziffel on February 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Obama’s an experiment in Artificial Stupidity…dumber than a box of hair…the man’s one taco shy of a combination plate…I mean, he couldn’t pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

DHChron on February 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

cynccook on February 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Been to a Cardiac ward lately? I have. Recently.

The looks on their faces tells me they really never did find the answers.

Cleombrotus on February 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Igor R. on February 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I can’t find much to disagree with here. I just think the logic behind God is better that your little green men fantasy. As do most philosophers throughout history.

Ampersand on February 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM