Quotes of the day

posted at 8:00 pm on February 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

“A United Nations Security Council effort to end the violence in Syria collapsed in acrimony with a double veto by Russia and China on Saturday, hours after the Syrian military attacked the city of Homs in what opposition leaders described as the deadliest government assault in the nearly 11-month uprising.

“The veto and the mounting violence underlined the dynamics shaping what is proving to be the Arab world’s bloodiest revolt: diplomatic stalemate and failure as Syria plunges deeper into what many are already calling a civil war. Diplomats have lamented their lack of options in pressuring the Syrian government, and even some Syrian dissidents worry about what the growing confrontation will mean for a country reeling from bloodshed and hardship.

“The veto is almost sure to embolden the government of President Bashar al-Assad, which brazenly carried out the assault on Homs on the very day that the Security Council had planned to vote…

“‘It’s a real massacre in every sense of the word,’ said a resident in Khaldiya, who gave his name as Abu Jihad. ‘I saw bodies of women and children lying on roads beheaded. It’s horrible and inhuman. It was a long night helping people get to hospitals.’…

“‘The army has weapons, and the people have weapons,’ one opposition activist said on condition of anonymity, recounting Saturday’s bloodshed. ‘Syria is finished for me. It is a civil war, and nothing will save us anymore.’”

***

“Thirty years after his father massacred tens of thousands of innocent Syrian men, women, and children in Hama, Bashar al-Assad has demonstrated a similar disdain for human life and dignity. Yesterday the Syrian government murdered hundreds of Syrian citizens, including women and children, in Homs through shelling and other indiscriminate violence, and Syrian forces continue to prevent hundreds of injured civilians from seeking medical help. These brutal killings take place at a time when so many Syrians are also marking a deeply meaningful day for their faith. I strongly condemn the Syrian government’s unspeakable assault against the people of Homs and I offer my deepest sympathy to those who have lost loved ones. Assad must halt his campaign of killing and crimes against his own people now. He must step aside and allow a democratic transition to proceed immediately

“The international community must work to protect the Syrian people from this abhorrent brutality.”

***

“This is strong language, says CBS News Washington bureau chief Chris Isham, instructing President Assad that he ‘must’ stop killing his own people and that he ‘must’ step down.

“But what is unclear is: ‘Or what?’

“‘What will the U.S. will do if Assad does not (as he most certainly won’t) comply?” said Isham. ‘Assad has shown that he will resort to any means necessary to stay in power.’

“With the U.S. having ruled out military intervention, and the U.N. Security Council failing to approve a resolution seeking Assad’s ouster, the enforcement mechanism – beyond sanctions – is now up in the air.”

***

“Clinton warned that more violence would be in the offing if the security council was not able to act immediately.

“‘The endgame, in the absence of us acting together as the international community, is civil war,’ she said. ‘The potential endgames, if we are serious about putting this kind of international pressure on the Assad regime, making it clear to the opposition that they should pursue their changes in a peaceful manner, is the possibility of the beginning of a transition.’…

“Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov complained about the lack of a clear post-resolution strategy for Syria in his remarks in Munich Saturday morning. He said clearly that without further changes to the resolution, Russia would use its veto power.

“‘We asked the Americans and the Europeans, ‘What is the game plan?’ They say, ‘Well, in 15 days we’ll consider this issue again in the security council.’ My question is, ‘After that, what are you going to propose?’ Lavrov said. ‘It’s not a serious policy.’”

***

“It’s not just the Sunni Arabs lining up against Assad. Turkey, after a recent flirtation with a Syrian-Iranian-Turkish entente, has turned firmly against Assad, seeing an opportunity to extend its influence, as in Ottoman days, as protector/master of the Sunni Arabs. The alignment of forces suggests a unique opportunity for the West to help finish the job.

“How? First, a total boycott of Syria, beyond just oil and including a full arms embargo. Second, a flood of aid to the resistance (through Turkey, which harbors both rebel militias and the political opposition, or directly and clandestinely into Syria). Third, a Security Council resolution calling for the removal of the Assad regime. Russia, Assad’s last major outside ally, should be forced to either accede or incur the wrath of the Arab states with a veto.

“Force the issue. Draw bright lines. Make clear American solidarity with the Arab League against a hegemonic Iran and its tottering Syrian client. In diplomacy, one often has to choose between human rights and strategic advantage. This is a rare case where we can advance both — so long as we do not compromise with Russia or relent until Assad falls.”

***

***

***

“Once again, the courageous people of Syria can clearly see who on this Council supports their yearning for liberty and universal rights-and who does not. And during this season of change, the people of the Middle East can now see clearly which nations have chosen to ignore their calls for democracy and instead prop up desperate dictators. Those who opposed this resolution have denied this last chance to end Asad’s brutality through peaceful means under Arab League auspices. Any further blood that flows will be on their hands.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

BL@KBIRD on February 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Nope I’m a Westerner, I see the world through Western eyes. Thank God. Plus I like almost all music except the hiphop/rap scene, with only a few exceptions.

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I just got in, but it was slow.

AZfederalist on February 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Yeah, Drudge links you and you had better be ready. I’ve been to his site in the past, I’ll cut the guy some slack and stay away for a while.

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM

onlineanalyst on February 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I’m going to contact Ed and see if he will give you my e-mail address because I would like to chat. Sounds like you had a wise tour guide.

Hey Bmore, were you able to get Ed to hook you up with someone here?

JPeterman on February 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM

JPeterman on February 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Not yet, I’m beginning to think Ed doesn’t like me. I emailed him at ed@hotair.com Is that what you have?

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Wait. It seemed like only yesterday that Fareed Zakaria was bragging about how Obama shows such amazing leadership by working through multilateral organizations. I mean, after all, we are in a post-American world or something. Memo to Fareed: this is what a post-American world looks like. Looks like Obama doesn’t have quite the pull on the world stage that we were led to believe. I mean, how could Russia do this to us after we gave them that cool little reset button and gave away the store to them in the new START treaty and betrayed our Eastern European allies on missile defense? Sorry Syrians, you now live in a post-American world. Ain’t it awesome?

JohnInCA on February 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Why, it’s Arab spring. Not to worry, Obama is leading from behind.

petefrt on February 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM

arnold ziffel on February 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

And my family wondered why I exited stage right from California. I got tired of explaining and just said when the brown stuff hits the rotary blower fill free to migrate to our land.

chemman on February 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I don’t know? Maybe I’ll just create a throw-away address and post it here. I’m sure Ed has better things to do.

JPeterman on February 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

JPeterman on February 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

We all have better things to do. Me I just want to send some care packages to one of our troop commenter’s stuck in Afghanistan.

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

OK. That is hilarious and true. Thank you darlin’

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Not that you are that old, but I thought they were pretty funny and you might find them so also.

silvernana on February 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM

JPeterman on February 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

That was how Cindy Munford and I became email bud’s here. Ed Allah and Tina don’t have time to hook people up here…

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

silvernana on February 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Loved it and emailed my my ‘elderly’ 62 year old sis the list. She texts, and I don’t…
But I use the verbiage on chat boards…

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

You mean they won’t hook people up anymore?

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I better file for my state refund muy pronto!

infidel4life on February 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I don’t think I have ever got a refund of over a couple hundred dollars. Even if I get a fed refund, CA just takes close to that. But hey they do such good works with it.

arnold ziffel on February 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM

You mean they won’t hook people up anymore?

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I never knew them to, nor did I ever ask them. Guess I just figured we were on our own. Where there is a will there is a way…

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Check out this cartoon..It is hilarious..:)

Dire Straits on February 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Dire Straits on February 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

LMAOROF Dire. That was great, buddy. Thanks…

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Check out this cartoon..It is hilarious..:)

Dire Straits on February 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Leading from behind the shadow…

Electrongod on February 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Hmmmmm.
Are shadows on food stamps?
Juan Williams??
“Can’t you see that this is viewed at a minimum, as insulting to all Americans…..but especially….BLACKs!!!????

Electrongod on February 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

CA supposed to run out of money in March…
arnold ziffel on February 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I better file for my state refund muy pronto!
infidel4life on February 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I think the one who who needs to be flushed down authorized the CA Treasurer to raid other State funds, to pay his most important constituents — contractors and po peepul. Ofcourse he is assuming that State coffers will overflow when the evil rich people and corporations pay their taxes later in the year. So the refunds will be covered, unions and food stamps will be paid, everyone else will have no clue about WTF Sacramento thugs did with their taxes

burrata on February 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Thank, I’ll do that.

JPeterman on February 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Leading from behind the shadow…

Electrongod on February 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Bingo..The Groundhog’s expression is priceless..:)

Dire Straits on February 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Bingo..The Groundhog’s expression is priceless..:)

Dire Straits on February 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

That groundhog is racist.
Also , light is racist
;-)

burrata on February 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

burrata on February 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

rofl..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Only fools ever though Russia and China ever joined the UN for any reason other than to benefit themselves at the expense of western nations, which means us.

Syria can meltdown to nothing but ruins but if its good for what Iran, Syria, Russia and china have cooking then the UN is just the right tool to keep any attempt to resolve issues from happening.

Speakup on February 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Sorry for the wait. I was watching As Good As It Gets for the umpteenth time. Yep, the link was back up and working when I got to it.

John the Libertarian on February 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Dire straits
Now that’s funny!!!!!

angrymike on February 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM

John the Libertarian on February 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Hey..I figured you would be over in the mosh pit of a Nevada primary thread..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Speakup
If the US pulled our money out of the UN, I wouldn’t give it a year! No one steps up like the good old USA.

angrymike on February 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM

angrymike on February 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Glad you liked it..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

The Russian and Chinese veto shows that they believe in the violent overthrow of governments and this body count is not high enough to meet their standards. The procedure is described in the communist manifesto.

dunce on February 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I’m surprised we aren’t in Syria yet.

Notorious GOP on February 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Dire Straits on February 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I dunno about you, but I got sick and tired of all the mud slinging from Newtbots and Mittbots and God knows who else. Just give me a good-enough candidate, and I’m on board.

John the Libertarian on February 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM

John the Libertarian on February 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I’m in the boat with you..Whoever wins the GOP Primary will get my vote..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Let them all kill each other. They are pigs.

pat on February 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Danielvito on February 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Turnout was lower in NV today than in 2008.

It was also lower in FL.

It might be low on Nov 6, 2012.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I have a feeling it will be lower. Hope I am wrong about the RINO effect.

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 1:53 AM

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

You mean they won’t hook people up anymore?

Bmore on February 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Bishop still hooks people.

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Let them all kill each other. They are pigs.

pat on February 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Now I hope Mitt and Newt don’t go that far. Would be fun to see them mud wrestle tho.

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 1:56 AM

“Invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity”

Too late Ann, the Caliphate is coming, followed by a World War.

Bulletchaser on February 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM

To refresh everyone’s memory, there is no such thing as a non violent muslim! Only those that have no yet attacked us. I do admit though, that there are MANY muslim women that if given the chance would bail right on out of islam! America’s military is STILL UNWILLING to admit that the attacks and murders of U.S. troops and contractors BY Afghan military or police ARE NOT “isolated” incidents and when they occur, as usual, the motive for those attacks are “unknown” FN idiots, can’t see the enemy for the muslims. Islam is the enemy that shall not be named.

RasThavas on February 5, 2012 at 2:30 AM

“Invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity”

Behold! On the one side will be the soulless Mohammedans, on the other the righteous protectors of humanity. On the one side will be the destroyed enemies of the Lord, on the other, his friends and allies who will shout at the soulless Mohammedans as they destroy them and all their Korans and all their Mosques, “It is the will of God! It is the will of God!! It is the will of God!!!”

RasThavas on February 5, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Assad the reformer?

CycloneCDB on February 5, 2012 at 3:52 AM

“Invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity”

RasThavas on February 5, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Are you just stupid? Coulter was mocking the muslim method of conversion. It’s called, “satire.” It’s the latest thing the last five centuries.

Adjoran on February 5, 2012 at 6:42 AM

is it just me or has ‘quote of the day’ changed to ‘quotes of the day’?

ted c on February 5, 2012 at 7:16 AM

‘It’s not a serious policy.’”

Of course it’s not, you silly Russian. You thought you were going to get a serious policy out of Barry Obama? Have you not been paying attention these past three years? Barry isn’t about serious policy; he’s about speeches and pretty words expressing lofty sentiments or, in some cases, meaningless nonsense (e.g., “reset” button).

AZCoyote on February 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Just thinking about how Obama has taken to quoting the bible to push his agenda.

I bet we’ll never hear him quote II Thessalonians 3:10

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 7:55 AM

ted c on February 5, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Allahp’s first thread on Syria has some catching up to do, leading from behind.

maverick muse on February 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Hague attacks China and Russia over UN Syria veto

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague has said China and Russia will be “held responsible” for violence in Syria after vetoing a UN resolution condemning government repression.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM

As if Krauthammer (ex.) has been in correspondence with Syrian diplomats over the past few years before presuming to tell us what to think and do.

From all the many quotations Allahpundit selected, the only human source from Syria actually named is “Jihad”. Allahp should do more background research from Americans who actually have been repeatedly visiting Syria over the years in dialogue with Syrians, not just camping out in Western Hotel lobbies as if “journalists” in Damascus.

Hillary chose the wrong Russian word for “reset” and is being shown what happens in a poker game with a poor hand and worse game face. What Hillary/Obama won’t admit is their involvement destabilizing Syria, their objective to take en route to Iran.

Nothing like the follow-up to an inane policy, poorly conceived and absent of logistics. Being asked “And then what” infuriates Hillary, the impudence of being asked for her contingency plan prior to a vote. Democrats don’t bother writing bombastic, bankrupting legislation prior to a vote, let alone reading what isn’t yet finalized (ObamneyCare) prior to the presidential signature fixing “Law”. Obama’s administration, with the blessings of the Republican establishment, is ramping through Islam paving the road for the worst abuses imaginable, empowering the Saudi Wahhabi global caliphate.

The Russians and Syrians have more than a century of alliance. Their traditional solidarity is not simply political, to maintain stability in the region. The Russian Orthodox Patriarch recently visited the leading Muslim Cleric in Damascus in discussions of Peace for Syrians, including protection for the Syrian indigenous Christians. Clinton certainly has not attempted any such State Dept. diplomatic mission in Damascus, no political or humanitarian diplomatic efforts coming from the Obama administration. Only more war, still wrapped in “winning hearts and minds of the enemy” though having no such merit, if ever there was.

Unlike Russia or China relations in the Middle East (having abstained from military interventionism), the US Pres.Obama has no such alliances, political or religious, having burned US diplomatic bridges since taking office, assassinating Gaddafi, attempting to have Mubarak murdered, their families annihilated. Given Obama’s CIA involvement perpetrating a so-called “Arab Spring” that includes the US/al-Qaeda alliance (scourging Libyans to illustrate “humanitarian” war), God only knows who is killing whom in Syria, and who is providing the means for war to the worst elements in society. Given Obama’s Fast and Furious operation v. US citizens, there’s no reason to “trust” this administration regarding the protection of human rights anywhere in the world.

maverick muse on February 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM

a UN resolution condemning government repression.

Russia and China stipulated that they would vote for the UN Resolution should it prohibit a non-Syrian military invasion/destabilization of Syria. The US/UK/NATO made certain that the resolution had no such limitations. “And then what?” Hence the Russian’s “impudence” holding Hillary to her line, demanding she admit the US/UK plot to take Syria en route to Tehran.

maverick muse on February 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM

maverick muse on February 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Good information, thanks.

Fallon on February 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I must admit, after too many examples of American meddling, that the Яooskee has a point.
Just look at Egypt, Libya, etc. To be sure, the Яooskees ARE our enemy, but they got this one right.
(so did Ho Chi Minh in the 40s, but Zee Fraunch didn’t take him seriously)

Pragmatism, a concept foreign to President SmartPower will lead to unchecked serial genocide across the globe. But BillyJeff did eventually apologize to Rwandans for his inaction. Gee wasn’t that special!
Either defecate or vacate the commode, Hillary, Barry, et al.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Another day,week,month–another Middle Eastern country in turmoil,another violent leader, another hollow UN meeting, another China/Russia veto, more wringing of hands and lamenting. Emotional detachment becoming preferred course of action. Sigh!

jeanie on February 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Expecting the UN to get anything right other than corruption is always a mistake.

djtnt on February 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM