Open thread: Just how big will Romney’s NV win be, anyway?; Update: Gingrich to hold press conference after caucus tonight? Update: Entrance poll shows Romney winning a majority

posted at 11:00 am on February 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Nevada will open its caucus doors shortly and open the fifth statewide contest in the Republican presidential nomination sweepstakes. This one looks like more of a no-contest, though, as CBS reports this morning.  The short period of time between Florida’s primary and Nevada’s binding caucus didn’t leave much room for significant polling, but what polling did take place shows Mitt Romney in the lead by 20 or more points.  The real suspense will be whether Romney can get a majority as he did in 2008, and whether Gingrich can hold on for second place:

In three campaign appearances Friday, Romney did not even mention Newt Gingrich who, according to the latest poll, done by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, trails Romney in Nevada, 45 to 25 percent.

Hoping to make up ground on the last day of campaigning, Gingrich referred to Romney as “Obama-lite,” and once again seized on Romney’s recent gaffe that he is “not concerned about the very poor.”

“My goal,” said Gingrich, “is the exact opposite of Governor Romney — my goal is not to ignore or forget the poor. My goal is to turn the safety net into a trampoline to allow the poor to rise and be like the rest of us and have a job and buy a house,” he said to applause.

Gingrich has brought up Romney’s remark about the very poor at virtually every event, and it just doesn’t seem to have helped him.

CBS has the polling numbers in the video, and they’re daunting for the other candidates in the race.  Gingrich hasn’t done the kind of touring in Nevada necessary for caucus success, though, and lacks the organization to make up for it.  His team insisted that a second-place finish would be a moral victory — and it would result in garnering a share of the delegates, as Nevada allocates proportionally.  However, Ron Paul has a good organization in Nevada, and I think he has been underestimated in these polls.  It’s possible that Gingrich can underperform and Paul could surprise Gingrich, although Nevada might be the final state in which that can happen.

I’ll predict that Romney ends up with 52% of the vote, Gingrich 18%, Paul 16%, and Santorum 14%.

Update: National Journal reports that Newt Gingrich will hold a press conference rather than give a post-event speech tonight, raising a few eyebrows:

Instead of the traditional election night party, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich will hold a press conference after the Nevada Caucus on Saturday, raising new speculation about his future in the race.

An e-mail sent to reporters on Saturday morning set the Las Vegas press conference for 11 p.m. to midnight Eastern time.

That’s 8-9 pm local time, which would be necessary because the caucuses in Clark County are staying open later than the rest of the state, but why a press conference?  That suggests that Gingrich will have some news to announce — and not just an endorsement.  Or it could just mean that Gingrich wants to mix it up with the press as a springboard for the Colorado caucus.

Update II: John Ziegler e-mails to suggest that Gingrich may just want to make sure he gets sufficient press coverage — and supporters sticking around — after the caucuses conclude.

Update III, 7 pm ET: They have just started counting the ballots in Nevada, but if CNN’s exit polling is accurate, Romney won a majority.  He won 57% of women and 53% of men, which means that Romney will finish above 50%, again assuming the exit poll holds up.

Romney won all of the age demos except 17-29YOs, which he lost by only two points to Ron Paul.  He won every education demo, and he won every income demo except under-$30K, which Paul won by just one point.  Paul won independents by 17 points, but Romney won Republicans with a 61/20 win over Newt Gingrich.  Romney also won all three ideological categories, including “very conservative,” by majorities; Gingrich only got 24% of the very conservative vote.  He got 74% of the vote for those whose most important candidate quality was the ability to beat Obama, 55% of those who are looking for the right experience, and 56% of those looking for strong moral character.  On that last category, Gingrich got 1%.

This one’s a wipeout, and I’d guess that Gingrich gets no more than 19% when the votes are totaled, again assuming the exit poll is accurate.

Update IV: I changed the headline; this is an entrance poll, not an exit poll.  That might make the results a little less reliable, if voters changed their minds in the caucusing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 17 18 19 20

Don’t be jealous because Mitt has so much money. It’s called success guys.

antisense on February 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Being a corporate raider is part success and part ending the employment lives of people. Enjoy that during a time of economic grief.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM

What a nasty, uncalled for comment.

Boy, some of these people really are upset about their preferred candidates bombing last night… they are taking our their frustrations in pathetic ways.

bluegill on February 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM

steel guy on February 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Yeah, I didn’t like that either.

MJBrutus on February 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Calling ghostwriter. If you wanted proof for a rude Mitt supporter, look at antisense. He just changed my name to include the word meth.

You can’t get more harsh than that.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM

What a nasty, uncalled for comment.

bluegill on February 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Says the nastiest commenter here?

Bless your black heart.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

What a nasty, uncalled for comment.

bluegill on February 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Pot, meet kettle…LOL

idesign on February 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I just don’t get the Romney hate. It’s irrational. It’s not his fault Perry’s dumb and Newt’s a laughing stock.

writeblock on February 5, 2012 at 6:13 AM

It’s because he is a liberal trying to pass himself off as a conservative, and being a total slimeball in the process.

silvernana on February 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Honey, why feel the need to admit what we all knew?

You and sheryl and petunia and PMSdeven should have gotten yourselves a room.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

You’re assuming that they aren’t. :)
I’m not.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

It beats not attempting to save those companies, or starting them to begin with.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

writeblock on February 5, 2012 at 6:13 AM

If you had the intelligence God gave the squirrels, you would see that you answered your own question.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

That was pretty good. Kind of disturbing, but funny.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Says the nastiest commenter here?

Bless your black heart.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I rarely pay attention to bluegill. It’s the deven’s and Brutus’s of the HA world that are rough. Merely because Brutus is ALWAYS here.

That’s why I don’t take what Brutus says to heart. I’ve interned for a very prominent Republican county in the US. I know how volunteers, workers and so on exist. These people didn’t know anything about this site.

Conclusion: Brutus knows jack about campaigning.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

writeblock on February 5, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Really? Please tell me you forgot your sark tag or you’re a Moby liberal stoking the fires.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

When things are slow and there are no substantive goin’ on, teasin’ the nutballs is a way to pass the time.

I know its similar to cruelty to animals, but they are here of their own free will.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Mitt could honestly have a good campaign but he is horrible at messaging. Newt and Cain were good at branding a message. Mitt needs that quality in him.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I remember the same thing being said about Perry.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Based on the comments on this thread and others here at HA lately I am making obambi a big favorite to win in 2012. We all had better stop the infighting and start getting together to save our country. Or, we can just keep hitting each other over the head and let the communist in the WH win again.

VegasRick on February 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Understood.

But these campaigners and volunteers truly didn’t know about this site. I was surprised myself.

I have Fareed on now. Oof.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Look, I read Levin’s book and agreed with every word. But I believe the most important thing right now is defeating Obama. I believe that the best candidate to do that is Romney. You can disagree and that is fine. At one time or another I’ve supported every one of the candidates. If I were to pick my ideological choice it would have been Perry. The only problem is I don’t think he could have beaten Obama. I’m not in love with Romney but I am absolutly sure that the criticisms I am reading of the man and his record are way overblown.

steel guy on February 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Sure ya have.

I’m so sick of this stupid “he’s electable” argument. They said the same thing about Mccain. Same thing about Dole and Ford. How’d it work out??

Re-read Levin’s book(s) and thank me for your post!!

LevinFan on February 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM

VegasRick on February 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Yeah, better for us to all get in line behind the worst candidate possible. Good point.

The primary isn’t over yet, why should good conservatives give up and fight for Mr. Romneycare??

LevinFan on February 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I remember the same thing being said about Perry.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I like Perry, but I never saw Perry as Presidential material.

I have only seen two candidates as Presidential material for 2012: Sarah Palin and Mitt Romney. Romney was always going to be the nominee. I have no clue why the GOP wants to run with him instead of recruiting someone like Daniels.

Who knows – maybe we’ll all be happy to go to vote in May. I’m still waiting for the SC case before I know what the mood will be like.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I seriously hope you live in a low-rent state. With all of the time that you spend on THIS blog, I hope you are not squandering your social life. Although, it looks like you don’t have much of one from all of your incessant posting.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Just a friendly word of advice. You’re walking a slippery slope by continuing to snark on the amount of time someone spends on HA.

I spend a lot of time here because due to suffering a stroke in 2010 I am unable to work. And since I’m not allowed to drive without someone else in the car with me I’m home alone all day until my husband gets here.

I don’t watch TV and reading offline is difficult, so this is how I get my information, education and enjoyment.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Daniels had his own problems, They were hashed out last summer.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

You are an ADDition to this site though. HA wants to get its web hits. Why would I spread this blog to others when I know that they will be blunted with people like Brutus?

You actually add substance and humor. It’s all about tone.

You also have a happy disposition despite your less than happy situation. There is no comparing you with the others. You’re like Cindy. At least how Cindy was prior to all of the recent comments.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

We’ve never exchanged comments much but prayers your way.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Daniels had his own problems, They were hashed out last summer.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Daniels problems pale in comparison to what Mitt offers.

Daniels negatives: his personal life, his non-thrilling personality and that he worked under Bush.

You can’t compare it to Mitt in my eyes.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM

LevinFan on February 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM

It’s done. Get over it. Romney was maybe 4th on my list but I realize that he is going to be the one to run against obambi.

VegasRick on February 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I’ll certainly admit that I can be swayed by meritorious arguments. But the silly squabbles, spats or off color humor certainly don’t effect me in the least. For those who are moved by such trifles, I indeed feel pity.

MJBrutus on February 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Different strokes for different folks. Before the open reg’s, I came here as part of my thirst for opinions. They had ‘meritorious’ (big word..for me) ‘discussions’ here. I can listen to different talk show hosts all day (I do)…and read opinion columns from all the pundits. I drink a little kool-aid from each!
I won’t engage any of these people…because after decades of trying to do so…I know I can’t fix stupid! (That would happen to be…anyone who does not share my opinions) I sometimes learn more from the posters in here, than all the aforementioned sources. So, I’m satisfied with the ‘trifles’…until they weed out the herd again.(I’d probably just read again and comment less) Doesn’t help much that the cowboy’s on the cutting horses, have been absent or seem overwhelmed! If you’ve noticed annoy everybody vote for Mitt ….I was hours behind on this thread last night, while you guys were having ‘discussions’…sucking in what people were saying. It takes longer for me now…since there is less meritorious discussion.

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM

We’ve never exchanged comments much but prayers your way.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Thank you, but IIRC we did have an exchange at least once. It was the night that girl, I forget her name, had a 3+ hour complete meltdown over what she perceived as you dissing Alan West.

That was sad to witness and I don’t think she’s commented since that night.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM

You can’t compare it to Mitt in my eyes.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM

It was no secret that Romney’s strategy is to divide and conquer.

Romney’s supporters job was to take out each candidate individually, preferably before they entered the race. Daniels, Palin, Pawlenty went first. Cain and Perry and trump had their won problems that collectively were not as bad as Romney’s. Each had their negatives overblown and their own stumbles didn’t help. Bachman was never a threat to Romney and acted as his stalking horse. Santorum and Gingrich were not seen as a threat to Romney and used to draw support from Cain and Perry. Santorum’s early debates were worse than Perry’s but since he was seen as a non-factor, he slipped by.

Romney’s strategy worked. People like Levin and Malkin guaranteed Romney’s current success by finding early frontrunners to be unacceptable.

In other words, conservatives ate their own to give us Romney.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM

You are expecting logic from nutballs. That’s your first mistake.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I guess that settles it.

steel guy on February 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Hey, I had no illusions that it would have much of an effect, but I felt compelled to TRY anyway. :(

JannyMae on February 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

You actually add substance and humor. It’s all about tone.

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM
We’ve never exchanged comments much but prayers your way.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Here Here! Flora Duh! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo<(who does that remind you of?) Hugs and kisses and prayers your way! I LOVE YOU… BABY! (<one of the one's who helps form my opinions, cuz I are so dum…and chee haz a betor brane den me!) My female canopfor

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Translation: People are too mean to me and dog gone it you have to stop it….

Bradky on February 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Bmore…..HAPPY BIRTHDAY HORACE!
(I think he might be awake now! The cold probably didn’t let him sleep to well, in that 1990 Cadillac)

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I know. I just meant that was a pretty personal message for not having exchanged more than we had. My Dad has just taken to Facebook and he’s loving it in much the same way you describe. He still gets around after an accident that he had, but it is harder. It’s nice to still be able to visit when he’s hurting and not wanting to go out. I carry my Ardroid and XOOM all the time now just because of that.

That was sad to witness and I don’t think she’s commented since that night.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I would hope that wasn’t something that would make her stop commenting here.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Yesterday, I took you at your word that you weren’t a Romney hater, that you just had real concerns about his policies and electability in light of “Romneycare,” etc. I was obviously mistaken.

That is, unless you’re not a capitalist, and thus have the concerns that an anti-capitalist might have. I assume you wouldn’t call yourself that, so I have to come to the conclusion that you’re letting your hatred of Mitt cloud your judgment.

Do you have any idea how many long-established real-and-true conservatives have LAMBASTED Gingrich and your ilk for these sorts of smears? You guys are disgusting, and your attacks show you know nothing of venture capital and its role in the free market (or are horribly intellectually dishonest about what you do know) and your hate prevents you from thinking about it rationally.

CanofSand on February 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM

VegasRick on February 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Why even have the remaining primaries?? Why even have Super Tuesday??

All hail Queen Mittens!!!

LevinFan on February 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Sure ya have.

Re-read Levin’s book(s) and thank me for your post!!

LevinFan on February 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Well, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Like I said my main wish is to defeat Obama for many reasons. I wish the nominee were more conservative, but it is what it is. You can disagree all you want but I will not believe that the other candidates have as good a chance of winning as Romney. I read Liberty and Tyranny a couple of summers ago, when we only had Obama to despise, and why on earth would I lie about that? I think it is a shame that things have degenerated into a big insult contest, which I try to avoid, because I think it is rude and serves no purpose except to help the dems.

steel guy on February 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

It’s not a Palin thread…will this hit 2000?

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

It’s not a Palin thread…will this hit 2000?

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Its thread bloat from the fluffin’ Mitt-nutters.

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM

JannyMae on February 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I guess civility and politics don’t mix well. Thanks for trying anyway we could use a few more reasonable people around here.

steel guy on February 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

That was sad to witness and I don’t think she’s commented since that night.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM

You must be talkin’ about dukecitygirl.

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Oh my gosh. You are a wonderful person. God bless you and may he keep you well.

Have you tried using a kindle? That might help you read. By all means stay here on Hotair if that is what you enjoy.

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Why even have the remaining primaries?? Why even have Super Tuesday??

All hail Queen Mittens!!!

LevinFan on February 5, 2012 at

I will leave you alone to support your dream candidate whomever that may be.

VegasRick on February 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM

In other words, conservatives ate their own to give us Romney.

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM

That sums it up pretty well.

Night Owl on February 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Emperor NOrton
Once again, for the Supreme Court to do something they have to accept a case on appeal. They are not voting on the question whether Obama’s ineligible, although I think he is clearly not eligible.

My hope has always been that Obama’s eligibility would be investigated by the Supremes. I like and respect Orly Taitz but think that she is way over her head in her cause to investigate zeros eligibility.
Absent millions of bucks and a law firm like Landmark Legal headed by Mark Levin I don’t see that cause going anywhere.But I do think its a winnable lawsuit given the right law firm and enough money.

rodguy911 on February 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Thank you, and yes, dukecitygirl is the one I was thinking of.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Your stroke certainly didn’t affect your brain! I have a neurological disorder that affects my memory and makes it hard to find words I want, so I can’t source everything the way you do and I try not to comment when I can’t back up what I think is true. I used to be a computer geek I’m not anymore, and I appreciate your skills! I appreciate you and canopfor in the morning so much.

Night Owl on February 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

It’s not a Palin thread…will this hit 2000?

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Its thread bloat from the fluffin’ Mitt-nutters.

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Sparky! Madonna with an equipment failure…at 50?(on the other thread)Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM

At least three of the four candidates we have left would make far better Presidents than the current one who was elected by a clear majority in the last election.

Yet all I hear is whining about not having any good choices.

Face it, people, there is no such thing as a person without “serious flaws.”

That is why negative campaigning works. There are way too many idiots who do not understand anyone can be made to look bad.

You always have to use good judgment. You have to weigh the pluses and minuses and then choose the best one to give the power.

Or you can be an idiot and part of the problem.

fadetogray on February 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Night Owl on February 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Thanks, but you haven’t been around when I get tired. It irritates the heck out of me that I have to stop in mid-sentence to wait for the right words to come. Quite like you, I would suspect. And while my long term memory is still pretty good, my short term is in the crapper. I have leave myself notes and then sometimes I forget where I left the note. lol

Fortunately I was already in the hospital at the time the stroke occurred, so they were able to act quickly enough to minimize the damage.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Flora – got you beat by one stroke; I had two in 2006. Look at it this way; you can legitimately ask your critics – “Part of my brain is gone – what’s your excuse?”

RedPepper on February 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I don’t doubt anything you said. It doesn’t change the fact that quite a few of his supporters here embrace what some perceive as his liberal side or try to convince you that there is no liberal side. But look, if he wins and leads fiscally and turns the economy around, it’ll be a great thing. If he helps move the entire country in a direction more like Walker and Daniels with regards to unions and right to work legislation, it’ll be a good thing. But you and I both know that previous discussions between us have netted quite a few heated exchanges on more socially rooted issues. I would assert that you are more progressive in your social concerns and wouldn’t mind if Romney led in that direction anyway. My impression only. But it’s not just the economy for me and many like me. I still care about abortion. I still care about a strong military. I still care about the family. I’m concerned about his SCOTUS picks. And it’s the height of arrogance to be dismissed as a misguided SOCON or NEOCON by some of the more dyed-in-the-wool shills here.

You’re a good advocate for Romney. You exchanges if terse are also fact based and not normally hyperbolic. But for Pete’s Sake, some of the folks here are again, nuts. And every candidate had them. But now we’re getting down to the time where we’re going to have to get together and get behind one. Being euphemistically told to shut up and get in line isn’t going to cut it with a lot of folks. And it’s by and large what a lot of your fellow supporters are doing.

Romney still has a lot of room he could shift to the right.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You said that well.
I supported Romney in 08 too. If he could prove himself somehow between now and the election that he will actually govern as a conservative, that would go a long way.
My fear is, he will do a few good things at first for the economy, and then turn to the left and do for America what Arnold Schwarzenegger did for California.

JellyToast on February 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

RedPepper on February 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

heh. I’ll have to remember that. But I would only use it for one particular poster. ;-)

Glad you’re well enough to be able to comment. My dad, 2 brothers and a sister weren’t that fortunate.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM

When I was in the hospital, & later in a rehab program, I saw many stroke survivors who were much worse off than me; permanently confined to a wheelchair etc. As they say, count your blessings …

RedPepper on February 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Not many people are reporting the fact that less than 20% of Republicans bothered to show up. So Mitt’s 48% of 20% is equal to a little less than 10% of the Republicans. But that doesn’t sound nearly as impressive, does

idesign on February 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Victory by voter supression. That should be a howling success in November!

RedPepper on February 5, 2012 at 3:06 PM

idesign on February 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Really? Oh snap! If that trend continues into the general we’ll play hell taking out Obama.

Not to mention we could also lose the House and have no way to take the Senate.

What I find interesting is that in the counties that Gingrich carried in FL, the turnout was higher than it was in 2008. Same with SC.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Voter turnout was down in Iowa & in New Hampshire as well, IIRC.

Negative campaigns tend to have that effect.

RedPepper on February 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Look, I read Levin’s book and agreed with every word. But I believe the most important thing right now is defeating Obama. I believe that the best candidate to do that is Romney. You can disagree and that is fine. At one time or another I’ve supported every one of the candidates. If I were to pick my ideological choice it would have been Perry. The only problem is I don’t think he could have beaten Obama. I’m not in love with Romney but I am absolutely sure that the criticisms I am reading of the man and his record are way overblown.

steel guy on February 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Sure ya have.

Re-read Levin’s book(s) and thank me for your post!!

LevinFan on February 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Those who still hold out for Newt as the best of a marginal gang of hangers on should realize he has but one hope,money and lots of of it.
After Florida we should be able to see that Mitt can lie as good as the left. He can create the lie, “Newt had to resign Congress in disgrace”,use an aged Tom Brokaw lead-in for NBC Nightly News,play it over and over and over and people who decide elections,the truly politically stupid, will actually believe it.
As far as the truth of the lie goes the real Mark Levin has challenged anyone to legitimize any of the 84 ethics charges foisted on Newt.I don’t know if there are any takers.
Bottom line,without a bunch of Sheldon Adelsons countering the Romneypac lies Newt can’t win Texas. Mitt will simply buy all the ad space,if he hasn’t already and its a slam dunk one more time.Do it enough and we have a nominee picked for us by the left one more time.

rodguy911 on February 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM

rodguy911 on February 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM

True. And as much as the media and electorate shakes their head in disgust and says “tsk, tsk” over negative campaign tactics, the reason they use it is because it works.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Midwestprincesse on February 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Think of what the media would do to Daniels’ wife. Would a decent person put his family through that? Daniels seems like a good guy, but didn’t choose to run. My guess is that it was for this reason.

talkingpoints on February 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM

rodguy911 on February 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Newt has enormous flaws and would hardly be an ideal candidate.

The same can be said about Rick Santorum.

And Ron Paul? Fuggedaboudit !

None of that makes Mitt any more electable.

RedPepper on February 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM

What I find funny is that the media, during debates, are the one who try very hard to get the cat fights started, and the same with the press, and THEN do all kinds of stories about negative campaigns.

Night Owl on February 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Night Owl on February 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Yep, “if it bleeds, it leads”, and they want to make the GOP primary as bloody as possible to deflect attention from the Boy King’s failed policies.

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I saw this

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

and this

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I saw you at 1:05 AM while I was catching up…so you were answered at 2:AM! Gonna change my name to timewarp or catchup!

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Might I suggest Goofball, for either of y’all?

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

You may, just doing the work, others refused. No way this thread beats the last Palin thread. Did you get that gilled one in the creel yet?

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM

cozmo, you ever gonna fix your moniker link?

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Little miss blue gills doesn’t want to play any more.

I may fix the link, someday. A total nutball, growfins, used it to place false orders and make derogatory remarks towards my wife and daughter.

When the current project is closer to completion though…

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Man, the recent open registration has made the HotAir comments section unreadable.

jjraines on February 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Flora Duh on February 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM

But a prolonged, grueling primary season will strengthen our eventual nominee. Or so says Sarah Palin and everyone else who want to delay and deny the inevitable for as long as possible.

jjraines on February 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Yeah, the gilled one is lazy like water. I remember growfins, not around anymore, any reason?

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

jjraines on February 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Does anyone ACTUALLY buy into the BS that Palin wants the primary to continue, with Gingrich and Mitt hammering one another, because she cares about “strengthening” the eventual nominee?

This is about settling whatever scores she think she has with the “Establishment”. She’ll give some lukewarm support to Gingrich, because he’s the “viable” alternative to Mitt, the “Establishment” candidate, even though Gingrich is pretty much Establishment too, at least until the Tea Party decided he wasn’t and then started revising history to make him more conservative than he really is.

She doesn’t give a damn about strengthening Mitt or Newt. She just wants to see two Establishment candidates bloody one anothers’ noses. Doesn’t matter if it ultimately hurts them in the general.

She doesn’t care about defeating Obama. That’s, at best, a secondary or tertiary goal.

Vyce on February 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

JellyToast on February 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thanks JT. Coming from you that means something.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Vyce on February 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

My take is a bit different from yours. I do agree that Palin certainly doesn’t mind damaging the establishment to settle a score. I don’t blame her on microscopic bit. I do think however the reason for her wanting a extended primary has more to do with her hoping Santorum will gain traction. I think, I’m certain she wants to endorse Santorum, but feels it unwise to do so until he gains a higher standing in the current race. Your assertion is incorrect if you really think Palin doesn’t want to defeat 0. She has been the loudest voice from the conservative side standing up against his administration. I really can’t even begin to see how you came to such a conclusion. Anyhow that’s my take worth what you paid for it I imagine you to say.

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM

on=one

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 5:4

BHed many moons ago.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM

………………..

Vyce on February 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Absolutely. She knows Romney is probably going to be the nominee. She also knows that if the primary season ends before it has really started, there will be millions of badly disaffected conservative voters who will believe they didn’t get a say in the nominating process.

However bloody the primary campaign may turn out to be, it won’t be as bad as that would be. Also bad would be an untested Mitt Romney going up against the pro-Obama wrecking machine (the MSM+).

It seems peculiar at first blush, but on second thought it is the same kind good, sensible, out of the box thinking Palin is always surprising us with, like when she resigned the governorship.

fadetogray on February 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Vyce on February 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Aw… She doesn’t care about defeating Obama? Really? That is about the dumbest thing I’ve seen you Palin haters write in a long time.

Fallon on February 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Now, some of us saw this day coming. It was three years ago on this very day that I spoke at the GOP Convention where I was honored to be able to accept the nomination for vice president that night. And in my speech I asked America: “When the cloud of rhetoric has passed, when the roar of the crowd fades away….what exactly is [Barack Obama’s] plan? What does he actually seek to accomplish after he’s done turning back the waters and healing the planet? The answer is to make government bigger, and take more of your money, and give you more orders from Washington, and to reduce the strength of America in a dangerous world.” I spoke of this, but back then it was only my words that you had to go by. Now you have seen the proof yourself. Candidate Obama didn’t have a record while he was in office, but President Obama sure does, and that’s why we’re here today.

Candidate Obama pledged to fundamentally transform America. And for all the failures and the broken promises, that’s the one thing he has delivered on. We’ve transformed from a country of hope to one of anxiety. Today, one in five working-age men are out of work. One in seven Americans are on food stamps. Thirty percent of our mortgages are underwater. In parts of Michigan and California, they’re suffering from unemployment numbers that are greater than during the depths of the Great Depression. Barack Obama promised to cut the deficit in half, and instead he turned around and he tripled it. And now our national debt is growing at $3 million a minute. That’s $4.25 billion a day.

President Obama, is this what you call “winning the future”? I call it losing – losing our country and with it the American dream. President Obama, these people – these Americans – feel that “fierce urgency of now.” But do you feel it, sir?

The Tea Party was borne of this urgency. It’s the same sense of urgency that propelled the Sons of Liberty during the Revolution. It’s the same sense of urgency that propelled the Abolitionists before the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement during the 20th Century. The Tea Party Movement is part of this noble American tradition. This movement isn’t simply a political awakening; it’s an American awakening. And it’s coming from ordinary Americans, not the politicos in the Beltway. No, it’s you who grow our food; you run our small businesses; you teach our children; you fight our wars. We are always proud of America. We love our country in good times and in bad, and we never apologize for America.

That is why the far left’s irresponsible and radical policies awakened a sleeping America so that we finally understood what it was that we were about to lose. We were about to lose the blessings of liberty and prosperity. So, the working men and women of this country, you got up off your couch, you came down from the deer stand, you came out of the duck blind, you got off the John Deere, and we took to the streets, and we took to the town halls, and we ended up at the ballot box. And as much as the media wants you to forget this, Tea Party Americans won an electoral victory of historic proportions in November. We the people, we rose up and we rejected the left’s big government agenda. We don’t want it. We can’t afford it. And we are unwilling to pay for it.

That victory, remember friends, was only one step in a long march towards saving our country.

He wants to “Win The Future” by “investing” more of your hard-earned money in some harebrained ideas like more solar panels and really fast trains. These are things that venture capitalists will tell you are non-starters, yet he wants to do more of them. We’re flat broke, but he thinks these solar panels and really fast trains are going to magically save us. He’s shouting “all aboard Obama’s bullet train to bankruptcy.”

The only future that Barack Obama is trying to win is his own re-election, and he has shown that he’s perfectly willing to mortgage our children’s future to pay for it. And there is proof of this. Just look closely at where all that “green energy” stimulus money is “invested.” See a pattern. The President’s big campaign donors got nice returns for their “investments” in him to the tune of billions of your tax dollars in the form of “green energy” stimulus funds. The technical term for this is “pay-to-play.” Between bailouts for Wall Street cronies and stimulus projects for union bosses’ security and “green energy” giveaways, he took care of his friends. And now they’re on course to raise a billion dollars for his re-election bid so that they can do it all over again. Are you going to let them do it all over again? Are you willing to unite to do all we can to not let them do it again so we can save our country?…

Folks, the truth is Barack Obama is adrift with no plan because his “fundamental transformation” is at odds with everything that made this country great. It doesn’t make sense. He doesn’t make sense. Unbelievably our President declares that he “believes in American Exceptionalism… just as the Greeks believe in Greek Exceptionalism.” Well, the path he has us on will make us just as “exceptional” as Greece, alright – with the debt crisis and the stagnation and the unemployment and uprisings and all.

Friends, you are better than that. Our country is better than that. We’ve got to unite. We’ve got to stand together. We can confront the problem and we can achieve lasting reform. And I can tell you from hard-earned experience with bumps and bruises along the way, that the road ahead is not easy. You will be demonized. They’ll mock you. They’ll make things up. They’ll tell you to “go to hell.” But we’ll bite our tongue, we’ll keep it classy, and we won’t respond—as tempting as it is—to anyone who just has such disdain for our free market economy and for individual initiative and responsibility. We won’t say, “No, you go to hell.” No, we won’t say that. You know why we don’t have to say that? Because when we have time-tested truth and logic on our side, we win. And when we refuse to retreat because we know that our children’s future is at stake, we win…

Fallon on February 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM

You don’t realize it but you’re in great danger… If your heart stopped beating you will open your eyes in HELL… no horror movie could describe your fright

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up brother! Peace be with you. I just don’t believe god put us here to live lives like yours sounds. He put us here to love, share experiences, and be there for EVERYBODY. To find that calming space, the rhythm with the natural world, open, self-aware, and as good as we can manage humanly, individually, to be. That’s all. And I think Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, atheists, gays, and south church of Christ-ers can pull it off and that God’s not such an a**hole to overlook that goodness in any individual, whatever their beliefs. The God I know isn’t a d*ck. But good luck with yours.

I am not afraid for you and only offer a smile, an acceptance that YOU believe the way you do, and a belief that you’ll be all right in the end anyway. God is love. And life is beautiful.

Boomer_Sooner on February 5, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Do you know what an idolater is? That’s someone who makes up a god to suit themselves. You create a god you feel comfortable with and I’m afraid for you that what you’ve done. I did it before I was a Christian. I created a god who ignored my sin, but there is only one God and He’s holy and just and He will by no means clear the guilty (Exodus 34:7). He loves you Boomer and doesn’t want you to end up in hell. Repent and try trusting the Savior man before it’s too late… peace

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Sorry to break it to you but you don’t get to pick who goes to hell – thank God for that.

independentvoice on February 5, 2012 at 12:17 AM

You’re 100% right but 10 out of 10 people die and the Bible refers to the fate of the unsaved and it’s not pretty. Read it sometime and maybe then you will realize that I am the best friend some of these folks have because I care enough about them to warn them about hell’s reality… I may seem harsh but I don’t want anyone to go to Hell for eternity… peace

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM

katy the mean old lady on February 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

This lady — this woman, I mean, GAG…

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

And now? Yeah now I’m convinced. You’re fake. For my first time on HotAir, take it down, I call, “troll”.

Boomer_Sooner on February 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Understand context before you ever speak about me again…

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Vyce may be a prick, probably is, but you ain’t God, pal, so quit judging and consigning others, with your words, to hell.

TXUS on February 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM

(If) Vyce ends up in the LAKE OF FIRE you won’t have done him any favors by attacking me and defending him and he is gonna wish he took my warning seriously, but by then it will be too late… we are wicked sinners (of whom I am chief) in need of a Savior…

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Threats never bring thinking people to your point of view, even when you call the threats warnings, and most people here are thinking people.

If God loves us, we’re covered. All of the rest is bs used by religious institutions and charlatans to extort from the unthinking masses.

Unfortunately, God doesn’t love all of us ….. just parts of us. Many people are not going to make it to Heaven as a recognizable identity.

fadetogray on February 5, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Might I suggest Goofball, for either of y’all?

cozmo on February 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I’LL TAKE THAT!

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM

fadetogray on February 5, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Like I said context is key and you have left out everything these “thinking people” have said to me and all their misinformation and biblical manipulation… all of that voodoo contributes to the way I respond to the debate and doesn’t make hell one degree cooler

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’m done posting in this thread… PS, I’m the chief sinner in here… that’s why I am clinging to the Savior the Lord Jesus… peace

apocalypse on February 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Hey, guys. Check out the updated Nevada Caucus results. Mitt is already up to 49%! Many more votes have yet to be added to the total, so it looks like Mitt may well get that magic number 50%!

Go Romney!!

I feel relieved that voters are rejecting the corrupt loser Newt and are going with the best guy. Way to go, Nevada!

bluegill on February 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

BHed many moons ago.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I never spent time reading its posts much, got the cut of its jib straight away. No surprise there I guess. I see there was no love lost between you two.

Assuming of course the NYPost isn’t simply making sh+t up, which is not unlikely.

Grow Fins on February 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

My God, do you have not one shred of decency in your entire miserable existence? You link as proof to your inane argument you engage in here, some of the worst Left biased web sites and newspapers. But you have the temerity to question a story because it’s printed in the Post?

These are your people. They exist and I’ve seen the poor treatment of the military by this type personally. They have been there doing this type of thing since the war began. They’re still out there. Own them.

hawkdriver on February 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Bmore on February 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Grow fins was a sick troll

SparkPlug on February 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Mitt hits 50% and Gasbag cry baby Newt has what 21%?
Newt is circling the drain!

ObamatheMessiah on February 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

apocalypse

^^This^^ is what a Romney hater becomes when his/her head explodes.

csdeven on February 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

To HotAir/Townhall admins-

Please put the Nevada results back up in the top right corner of these pages. It was a handy way to follow the latest results while commenting on here. Why was it taken down before 100% of the votes were included in the displayed totals?

bluegill on February 6, 2012 at 5:25 AM

ok, disregard my last comment. I didn’t realize that 100% of the votes had been counted and displayed already.

bluegill on February 6, 2012 at 5:26 AM

[...]

fadetogray on February 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM

No, what she said was that she would vote for Gingrich, and then she went on to defend Gingrich and criticize the intense “vetting”(to use her word) that he was getting. She said Gingrich was being “crucified”. Please note that Palin said not one negative word about Newt’s vile and utterly dishonest attacks on Romney.

If she was simply interested in making sure that as many people as possible were able to cast votes for their preferred candidates, then she would not have repeatedly bent over backwards to make excuses for Newt in particular. She didn’t just say that she hoped Newt would win because it would lead to a longer primary season. No, make no mistake about it: Palin endorsed Gingrich. Now the Sarah Palin-endorsed candidate’s campaign is floundering and is becoming more and more a laughingstock with every new day. Make of that what you will.

Please quit making excuses for Palin.

bluegill on February 6, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Sarah Palin probably feels a special kinship with Newt Gingrich because both of them disgracefully resigned from office.

bluegill on February 6, 2012 at 6:02 AM