Video: The best Super Bowl ad you’ll never see

posted at 9:20 pm on February 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Yahoo Sports, which notes that this is airing on Sunday exclusively in Canada because “Canadians are much more likely to buy beer based on something like this than a maudlin, tedious slice of Americana involving children and Clydesdales. And vice versa.” Really? The eight-millionth iteration of the Clydesdales trotting in slo-mo is more likely to move units than a poignant clip about a bunch of average guys suddenly enjoying a moment of athletic glory that we all dream of as kids? Unlikely. On the contrary, the fact that they’re Canadian makes it especially touching: These poor joes live in a country where no one’s even thought to make a bacon milkshake. At the end of the day, what do they have to show for themselves? Besides a Constitution superior to ours, I mean.

As a bonus, to atone for subjecting you to that disappointing Ferris Bueller ad the other day, I’m embedding a second clip below that you will see during the game. I don’t want to spoil it, but … two words: Soup Nazi.

Comments

That is one sweet looking Acura, I can only imagine the price.

Bishop on February 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Leno.

Tim_CA on February 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I want that car!!! What’s the trade in value on my 94 Ford Ranger?

JPeterman on February 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

What is this strange game they are playing…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 3, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Should’ve had Conan do the commercial…

d1carter on February 3, 2012 at 9:31 PM

That NSX is sick!

ButterflyDragon on February 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Hockey is the greatest sport. I really miss playing it. :(

tom daschle concerned on February 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM

That totally bada#@ Acura NSX will be built by Americans in Ohio.

tom daschle concerned on February 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I miss Seinfeld!

rightConcept on February 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Here is a more comprehensive look at the NSX and the new technology Honda is unveiling.

Be sure to watch in HD with the volume up.

tom daschle concerned on February 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM

They were playing hockey? I was looking at the lettering on the abs!
I’ve played too much hockey without a helmet…but then you all know that!

KOOLAID2 on February 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Okay first commercial good – second commercial not so good. Seinfeld looks old.

gophergirl on February 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I don’t even like beer, but I’m going to start buying the — what did they call it? Budweiser? Awesome, Allah.

cynccook on February 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Okay first commercial good – second commercial not so good. Seinfeld looks old.

gophergirl on February 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I was just thinking the opposite.

SlaveDog on February 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Great commercial (the hockey one). Too bad it won’t air in the U.S. It would win the best ad.

Christian Conservative on February 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM

They’re a couple years behind. It’s been done. Better. By volunteers. For a little league game:

Mohonri on February 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Why did that Acura commercial remind me of Mitt Romney?

cynccook on February 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM

That’s cuz canadian bacon tastes like crap.

lorien1973 on February 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Mohonri on February 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I have to strongly disagree. The hockey players best days and games are behind them. They appreciated the crowd and star treatment like no child could.

It was awesome.

Fallon on February 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I watched this ad earlier today, maybe 5 times, it was so good. It is so good and so uplifting, and I don’t even care about hockey. It’s about much more than a particular sport, it’s about inspiration. Budweiser’s making a big mistake by not running this ad during the SB.

TXUS on February 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I’ve been wondering how you’d work in the bacon milkshake tonight Allah; nice job.

BKeyser on February 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

That is one sweet looking Acura, I can only imagine the price.

Bishop on February 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I think you’ll have to wait. http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1204_2015_acura_nsx/

However this car is available…

Deanna on February 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM

W.

T.

F.

Can’t think of a suitably uncomplimentary adjective for Seinfeld. Help me out here.

Recruiting him for an NSX commercial is like recruiting Roseanne Barr for a Cover Girl commercial.

Splashman on February 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Only Nixon can go to China.

Axe on February 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Leno.

Tim_CA on February 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

..alright! Can we talk about something else? This is beginning to sound like a gratuitous HG ABR thread.

The War Planner on February 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Splashman on February 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM

..eeeeeeeuuuuuww! Unseen; mind bleach; usw.

The War Planner on February 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Should’ve had Conan do the commercial…

d1carter on February 3, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Leno is a car guy and techno-geek, perfect choice.

cozmo on February 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever played a rec league game that only had 7 goals.

Good commercial though.

landshark on February 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I’m a big Seinfeld fan, but the SNL’ed that commercial – about 60 secs too long.

mdenis39 on February 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Have none of these Budweiser yahoos heard of The Miracle on Ice?

The Ugly American on February 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM

cozmo on February 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I meant Conan for the Seinfeld part…should have been more clear. Leno takes another one from Conan…sorry.

d1carter on February 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Have none of these Budweiser yahoos heard of The Miracle on Ice?

The Ugly American on February 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I watched that movie last week for the very first time.

JPeterman on February 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

The Ugly American on February 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I think you have totally missed the point.

Fallon on February 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Is that hockey ad really good? I don’t get it – what is the point?

Pork-Chop on February 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM

d1carter on February 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I don’t know that there’s enough money to have gotten Conan to play along with that idea…

cynccook on February 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Weak. That is all.

deadrody on February 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Is that hockey ad really good? I don’t get it – what is the point?

Pork-Chop on February 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM

They gave them the big-time NHL experience for once in their lives. They had sports commentators, fans and mascots like the big teams. They treated their league game like it was just as important as a pro game. Fantasy stuff for anyone who’s ever played a sport.

cynccook on February 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

cynccook on February 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM

LOL, but wouldn’t it have been funny..?

d1carter on February 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Is that hockey ad really good? I don’t get it – what is the point?

Pork-Chop on February 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM

These guys pay somewhere between $200-$400 per ‘season’ to play hockey as a hobby. To get that many people in the stands would be unbelievable. I may have seen that many people in the stands once throughout my HS and college hockey days.

The ad was very touching to me.

tom daschle concerned on February 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Is that hockey ad really good? I don’t get it – what is the point?

Pork-Chop on February 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Seriously? These guys probably play very, very late at night when ice time is available and cheapest. Once in a while someone’s friend might show up to watch them but mostly they play in an empty rink.

More than likely a few of the guys played in HS or maybe even college but none of them ever made it as a pro or even a semi-pro hockey player. They now play with no hopes of glory but just because they love the game of hockey.

The “flash crowd” gave them a taste of what it might have felt like if they had played in the pros. The smiles on the guys’ faces at the end, especially the guy sitting on the ice in a daze told the story. They were truly surprised, amazed and thrilled from the experience. They were never going to have this moment… and then, they did. I thought it was adorable and sweet manly and tough.

Fallon on February 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Tweaked a little from the earlier headline thread.

Fallon on February 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM

LOL, but wouldn’t it have been funny..?

d1carter on February 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Very funny!

cynccook on February 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I dig the belly-paint girl.

Jaibones on February 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Love the Bud video – having played hockey that would be incedibly cool – especially the girls with the paited bellies. Bud has the best commercials – but I still hate their beer.

I’d love to have an NSX – but the commercial sucked.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I dig the belly-paint girl.

Jaibones on February 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Last night…some were mistaking Jaibones with Jailbreak Please don’t.
Even after several glasses of wine…yes, the ‘l’ could be missing!
But! bones don’t break!

KOOLAID2 on February 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Splashman on February 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Jerry Seinfeld is known in the auto enthusiast community as a fairly well informed collector. He doesn’t own as many cars as Jay Leno does, but to car guys, the ad works.

Seinfeld’s mostly a Porsche enthusiast, though. If you note, on the Seinfeld show, there’s a Porsche poster on the wall of Jerry’s apartment. He did manage to roll a vintage Fiat he owned a few years ago after the brakes failed.

rokemronnie on February 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM

They both s*cked.

echosyst on February 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You keep saying “The best” I’m not sure what it means what you think it means.

LtGenRob on February 4, 2012 at 1:01 AM

1. What self respecting Canadian would drink that bottled toilet swill called Budweiser when Canada has good beer?

2. Why is one team named the Amigos, shouldn’t they be called the Amis?

Your Mamma loves me on February 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I thought this was funny, would you skip the big game because your Girlfriend got tickets to a poetry reading.

Patricksp on February 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Wow a lot of old actors are going back to the well that got them famous, sad to see harder to watch.

Your Mamma loves me on February 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM

The Canadian ad made me sad. The people there cheering were like extras in a movie, paid to show up. It’s not going to happen again.

MayBee on February 4, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Ill keep my dreams on the Obama Volt once they iron out that minor little fire issue

malkinmania on February 4, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Acura & Budweiser. Two good ads for me, I remember who they are for.

roy_batty on February 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM

That totally bada#@ Acura NSX will be built by non-unionized Americans in Ohio.

tom daschle concerned on February 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

ReWrite™ engaged, which makes the new NSX even more badass.

Steve Eggleston on February 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Both lame. Might as well throw Rosanne and Abe Vigoda in.

crash72 on February 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Since when is hockey a “game”? At my spawning, they were called “matches”.

Jeffster on February 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Splashman…..seems there is something you don’t know about Seinfeld
———-

From bankrate.com:

Jay’s comedy counterpart Jerry Seinfeld also is an artist at collecting cars, but unlike Jay, who admits he’s “stuck in the ’60s,” Jerry focuses on decade-old Porsches. He spent $1.4 million and two years having a 20-car garage-gallery built in Manhattan for his mechanical masterpieces.

The collection’s centerpiece is a $700,000 Porsche 959, one of only 200 ever built. To Jerry’s frustration, he isn’t allowed to drive it. US government emissions and crash-test standards have never been tested on the car because Porsche refuses to hand over four vehicles for destruction tests. Jerry, therefore, has had to bring in his rare Porsche under an “exhibition only” clause — the car must never set rubber on an American road.

Included in Jerry’s collection is a 1959 straight-16 GT speedster; a Porsche 911S; a 1955 Spyder 550 — the same model and pearl-grey color actor James Dean was driving when he crashed and died in September 1955 near Cholame, Calif. At a recent count, Jerry had 47 Porsches parked in his garage. Jerry loves Porsches so much he gave his wife, Jessica Sklar, a 1958 Porsche 1600 Speedster as a wedding present in 1999. The car cost him a reported $40,000, chump change for the yada-yada king who topped Forbes magazine’s li

st of top-earning celebs of 1998, when he raked in $267 million.

CW on February 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Since when is hockey a “game”? At my spawning, they were called “matches”.

Jeffster on February 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

A purist? Most Americans simply call it “unwatchable”. Great commercial though.

CW on February 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Fallon on February 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

No. They didn’t have that experience. What they had was a faux experience used as a commercial. It’s kind of like getting a participation trophy: you’re get a glittering piece of hardware but in the end it doesn’t mean anything because you didn’t earn anything.

PackerBronco on February 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Watched the Bud hockey ad about 10 times ! Loved it, even got a bit emotional.
Entire family plays, coaches, plods along simply for love of the game, and to have heard and felt those cheers, etc. would’ve rocked their world(s).
:-)
Still can’t drink Bud, but, hey.

pambi on February 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

PackerBronco on February 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Seriously ? Oy.

pambi on February 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Seriously ? Oy.

pambi on February 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Totally seriously. Really.

Being part of a commercial in which people pretend you have made the “big time” is not the same thing as making the big time and its embarrassing to claim otherwise. I admit it’s a cute stunt, but nothing more than that. Certainly nothing profound or profoundly moving.

PackerBronco on February 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I watched this ad earlier today, maybe 5 times, it was so good. It is so good and so uplifting [snip]

TXUS on February 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Absolutely. Should resonate for anyone that’s played any sport at a less-than-division-III level. For all the cheers you never heard, for all the fans you never saw.

That, bud, was for you.

bofh on February 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

The Canadian Bud commercial was still maudlin and didn’t make much sense…I used to go to my friend’s son’s pee wee hockey games and they were more fun than this. Nope…that is no better than Clydesdales in slo mo.

allstonian on February 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Is that Explosions In The Sky I hear?

Theworldisnotenough on February 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Dude that was awesome. I haven’t even looked at a Budweiser product since they were bought by Inbev but this is a great commercial. I used to play rec league basketball and it was cool. We did have decent crowds with family, friends, coworkers, and a sponsor or two. This had to be a great experience…

Theworldisnotenough on February 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

That’s a real bummer that it’s not airing during the game here. I’ve played hockey since I was 9, and that would be such a blast!

Lord of the Wings on February 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM

So the comments about the Bud ad are shaking out into two rather sharply divided groups. I’m guessing that it matches up with whether the writer plays (or played) midnight-hockey/weekend-warrior type sports or not… Just a guess, though.

bofh on February 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Did anyone notice the hockey game that broke out in the middle of a fight?

Jarhead68 on February 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

PackerBronco on February 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Lighten up. Sorry you’ll never appreciate it like we others have.

bofh on February 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Yuppers.

pambi on February 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Did anyone notice the hockey game that broke out in the middle of a fight?

Jarhead68 on February 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

The kerfuffle? LOL

I’ve become pretty cynical like most conservatives over the years, but — perhaps because I did play team sports for the love of it — I don’t understand those commenters who are cynical about the Bud commercial.

This is America, the land of dreams — and, even when you’re paid to participate in something like that — you can’t help become emotionally involved. It WAS real. It DID happen. You’re probably just envious it didn’t happen to you …

ShainS on February 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Did anyone notice the hockey game that broke out in the middle of a fight?

Jarhead68 on February 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

CORRECTION: in the middle of the kerfuffle !!

LOL. ;-)

pambi on February 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM

PackerBronco on February 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Lighten up. Sorry you’ll never appreciate it like we others have.

bofh on February 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Yuppers.

pambi on February 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Oh, don’t worry about me. I don’t take the commercial seriously. You’re the ones who got your panties in wad because there are people who are not profoundly moved by a stunt staged for a beer commercial.

PackerBronco on February 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I AM CANADIAN (sorry about the stolen rant) and I dearly wish our constitution (Charter of Rights and Freedoms, actually) mirrored your Constitution. For the life of me I don’t get the lefties. The American Constitution is the most incredible document (other than the Bible) the world has ever known and quite probably will ever know. It’s truly something to be shamelessly proud of. I envy Americans!

pos4thst on February 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

pos4thst on February 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Thank you for that. You DO realize though that this makes you more qualified to sit on the Supreme Court than Ruth Bader Ginsburg, right? ;-)

ShainS on February 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

ShainS on February 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I probably want to be American more than she does.

pos4thst on February 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Be sure to watch in HD with the volume up.

tom daschle concerned on February 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Love the video, especially paying homage to the earlier NSX. I’m a two-time NSX owner (still have my Silverstone ’02) and can’t wait to see what the final production version of the concept looks and performs like. Lots of discussions about the car over on the nsxprime.com forums.

Chuckie on February 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM