Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on February 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

“[O]ne source close to the organization’s leadership says a shake-up may be inevitable now that the organization has changed direction.

“‘Somebody besides Nancy Brinker is going to pay for it,’ the source said.

“The likely target is Vice President Karen Handel, who called for defunding Planned Parenthood during an unsuccessful run for governor of Georgia…

“Even if Handel isn’t forced out, it seems likely that the reversal could lead her to resign, just as it might drive away many abortion opponents who may see Komen as more closely identified with abortion rights than it did before it attempted to sever ties with Planned Parenthood.”

***

“[O]fficials across the organization said they were still reeling from the fallout of what many described as a public relations fiasco created by Komen’s leadership.

“‘I felt like we were eaten alive,’ said Logan Hood, executive director of Koman’s Aspen affiliate in Colorado. ‘We had no advance warning. . . . We were sent into battle without armor.’…

“The affiliate has already lost $50,000 in corporate sponsorship for a Race for the Cure next fall. Farmer Sherman said she has scheduled meetings Saturday to try to make amends with supporters.

“‘There are some relationships that are, perhaps, irrevocably damaged,’ she said.”

***

“The liberal blacklist. Of course I support anybody’s right to withhold money or approval from any organization for any reason. But let’s just be clear what’s going on here. Komen broke ranks, and for the cultural left, that cannot be understood, forgiven, or overlooked; Komen must be ruined. Nothing Komen or Nancy Brinker has ever done for women in 30 years matters to these people. This is war…

“You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize this is a clarifying moment. Think of it! Three decades of service to women fighting breast cancer, and having raised and distributed … nearly $2 billion towards that goal, means absolutely nothing to these people now trying to destroy Komen. They could have denounced Komen’s decision, but in light of all Komen has done, and still does for women, turned their ire on the Republicans, the Religious Right, and so forth. But no, Komen broke ranks, and it must be dealt with harshly. And the sympathetic mainstream media is helping them do the job. All this reminds one of exactly what we’re dealing with here: what John Paul II called the culture of death. It is helpful to be reminded which side you’re on.”

***

“Look, the beauty of free speech is that, if you’re inclined to do so, you can write a check to PP in an act of solidarity, or write a check to Komen as an expression of moral approval. That’s all fine. But there’s something quite a bit different, something creepy and not a little despicable, about the Planned Parenthood set’s besmirching Komen’s good name across a thousand platforms for having the audacity to stop giving them free money. And I don’t care why that decision was made, frankly. If it was made because PP is controversial and under congressional ‘investigation,’ that’s a perfectly valid reason for an organization to disentangle itself. If it was made because they judged that money would have a greater impact if directed toward the provision of actual mammograms and not just clinical screenings, that makes sense. And if the decision was made because a controlling faction at Komen feels a moral disgust toward the dismemberment of viable fetuses and would rather not subsidize an outfit that does that 300,000 times a year — well that’s fine, too. None of those rationales justifies the outrageous non-sequiturs about how Komen ‘hates poor women.’

“Imagine I volunteered to run a cub scout troop, and for years, when the annual soapbox derby came near, I knew I could count on Joe’s Deli as good for a hundred dollar donation. If one year Old Man Joe decided he didn’t want to donate any more — because he didn’t like the design of our racer, or because he thought his hundred bucks was better spent on a little league team, or because he disapproved of the scouts’ stance on gays — what on earth would justify me going on public access TV to grill Old Man Joe on why he hates kids? What would justify me hacking the Joe’s Deli web site or maliciously editing Old Man Joe’s Wikipedia page? What would justify me goading a handful of my city councilman into standing up at the next town meeting and publicly calling on Old Man Joe to reinstate his donation?”

***

“House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said the Susan G. Komen foundation’s retreat from its decision to eliminate funding for Planned Parenthood is a victory for women’s health…

“‘It was an unfortunate situation but it was dealt with in a short period of time, [and] I commend the Susan G. Komen foundation for seeing the light on this,’ Pelosi added. ‘[It] just goes to show you, when women speak out, women win. Women’s health has a big victory this morning.’”

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If the Komen money was for breast exams at PP, what was the government money for?

Fleuries on February 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Fleuries on February 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Democrat campaigns.

darwin on February 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

When the NFL did their pink campaign I had no idea they were funding Planned Murder.

darwin on February 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM

When Susan Komen Foundation donated to PP the first time, it was like checking into the Hotel California. They can check out any time they like, but they’ll never leave……

ted c on February 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Fleuries on February 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Democrat campaigns.

darwin on February 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Considering the miserable % of SGK money that actually goes for research, I believe it.

shaloma on February 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM

And they caved.
There is little difference in that action and the action of corrupt politicians or businessmen/women who take bribes.
Some one offers you a bribe to benefit you, to put your values aside, or threaten to slander you with lies. Your integrity is shown when you either accept it or deny and expose it.

Komen not only caved, they boosted the direct donations to PP and lined their own coffers when people donated because of their claim to end PP support.
Pathetic.

Mimzey on February 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Look forward to the day when policy and practice decisions of organizations and government/law-making are made on the basis of honest science and statistics rather than pressure from agenda groups.

Using the science/statistic standard would clear up the issue with Susan Komen organization quickly and without prejudice and with hopefully less rancor.

In this case, there is growing evidence that abortion is highly correlated with a much higher incidence of breast cancer. This in itself would justify the decision not to continue to fund Planned Parenthood which is primarily an abortion provider and defender.

Another example of this is the push abortion, to defend, celebrate, normalize and teach lifestyles and acts that result in sky-high rates of HIV and the highest rates of STDs in our public schools as well as among nations as a pre-condition for US foreign aid and diplomatic relations.

Unfortunately, money and pressure do presently, to our shame, cause law and policy to be made…much to the great harm of our population and the world.

St. Nikao on February 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

CLARIFICATION – Another example of this is the push *for* abortion, *and the decision* to defend, celebrate, normalize and teach lifestyles and acts that result in sky-high rates of HIV and the highest rates of STDs in our public schools as well as among nations as a pre-condition for US foreign aid and diplomatic relations.

St. Nikao on February 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM

It has occurred to me that no one has to donate to either of these organizations PP- SGK. Neither one will see a red cent from me.

Pro choice abortion.

Truth in advertising.

Dr Evil on February 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

“It was dealt with in a short period of time.” Now THAT is creepy.

TeaTrekkie on February 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

My wife organizes a group every year. One of her walkers wearing survivor pink is unable to have children due to the cancer treatments. I hope the decision to help fund abortion buys those who made it many loooong sleepless nights.

Ufdaubet on February 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

That pink ribbon is now splattered with blood in the minds of many. Just one more casualty of the liberal/progressive/marxist dogma.

ClanDerson on February 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Fleuries on February 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Since money is fungible that is the cool thing… it can all be for breast exams, and all be for abortions at the same time. Thing is PP doesn’t provide beast exams, it only provides referrals to those that actually do them…. um like your family doctor and clinic.

Dasher on February 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

So glad Komen reversed before I had a chance to donate.

AesopFan on February 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Why doesn’t SGK Foundation associate themselves with reputable hospitals, orgs., etc, who will respect the nature and intent of the funds?
My wife, her daughter-in-law, and alot of her family “walk” every year for this cause. A little truth in advertising would be welcome.
(not that it would make a damn bit of difference to the a-religious / life, apathetic crowd)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Yeah, Nancy, except for the “women” that got thrown into the PP dumpster at the end of the work day.

TugboatPhil on February 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM

This is precisely why I stopped giving to Komen years ago; same reason I refuse to consider Progressive Insurance. Women’s health, indeed!

College Prof on February 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Margaret Sanger, PP’s founder, viewed abortion as a way to control “undesirables” (read that “poor Blacks who reproduce”). Doesn’t that make PP a racist organization?

College Prof on February 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Abortions for 12 year olds is not ” womens Health “. “Women ” do not go to planned parenthood. They go to their doctor. If PP was about ” womens Health ” their business ( yes it’s a BUSINESS ) would say ” welcome to WOMENS HEALTH CLINIC “.

PP does not perform breast exams or any breast cancer treatment, period. End of story. KOMEN should not have caved as this will hurt their donations.

Yet another SAD surrender to ultraleft screwballs who want to make it as easy as possible for 12 year olds to abort babies without consent of their parents.

TX-96 on February 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I agree, and it really bothers me to take that stance. I have 2 nieces who are breast cancer survivors. In support of them I have participated in the Komen Foundation pink ribbon campaigns and their “Walk for a Cure” events, but no more. And had I done my homework and known that Komen had funded Planned Parenthood I would have never supported them in the first place.

Flora Duh on February 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I’m pro-life so have always known what PP is. So are you saying that it wasn’t common knowledge that Komen funded PP?

bluefox on February 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM

So the “Race for the Cure” isn’t that important unless it’s accompanied by a mound of mangled fetuses.

Axeman on February 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Oh, and any man who brags about his “pro-choice” stance in order to kiss up to these witches is a wuss and a not a real man.

bluegill on February 4, 2012 at 7:03 AM

You’d better be careful, panfish, or urban_elitist may call you out.

Lanceman on February 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I will not be donating anything to the Komen Foundation any more. If I wanted to donate to Planned Parenthood, I would have given money to Planned Parenthood. If I am donating to the Komen Foundation, I expect them to use the money to directly fund breast cancer research. No other use is acceptable.

I do not donate to any charity with the expectation that the money will be re-donated to unspecified purposes. If this is common practice among charitable organizations, then I may need to reconsider whether I will make voluntary donations at all from now on. If I cannot donate for an intended purpose and expect my donation to be used for that purpose, then there is no reason for me to donate in the first place.

underdog on February 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM