Pelosi on contraception insurance mandate: I am going to stick with my fellow Catholics in supporting the administration on this

posted at 7:00 pm on February 3, 2012 by Tina Korbe

When the administration announced earlier this month that it would stick to its decision to require religiously-affiliated employers to provide their employees with insurance that covers contraception, the national Catholic reaction was, to put it mildly, less than supportive. All across the country, Catholic bishops wrote and read letters to their flocks that read, “We cannot — we will not — comply with this unjust law.”

Today, a CNSNews.com reporter asked Nancy Pelosi whether she would stand with her fellow Catholics and oppose the law or whether she would stand with the administration and support it. The former Speaker of the House responded with this doozy:

“First of all, I am going to stick with my fellow Catholics in supporting the administration on this. I think it was a very courageous decision that they made, and I support it.”

Ack. She must have misunderstood the question. The point of the question was that she can’t have it both ways. This exercise is getting old. When will Pelosi just admit that she doesn’t think the pope and bishops have any more moral authority than she does — and that, on matters of “women’s health,” they have even less? Oh, wait. She has. She has said that she thinks her personal experience of motherhood qualifies her to be her own authority on the abortion issue and she has long lamented the collective Catholic conscience on contraception. Of what, exactly, does her Catholicism consist? At least Joe Biden reportedly fought against the administration’s decision in private negotiations.

Yes, Ms. Pelosi, the administration was so courageous to use this decision to curry favor with voters Obama needs. In fact, isn’t that the definition of courage? To make safe your own hide before you worry about anybody else’s? That sort of example always stirred my heroic impulses, I assure you.

Please, people, pay attention to congressional elections. If you think Pelosi is unbearable now, just imagine her as Speaker of the House again.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d love to see the reaction if she got excommunicated.

joekenha on February 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I’d love to see the reaction if she got excommunicated.

joekenha on February 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

BECAUSE she lives in San Francisco, the reaction in that city (can’t we just GIVE it to Mexico? Sheesh…) would be the exact opposite of the rest of the Catholic populace in the U.S. … probably worse than the hate inflicted on the Komen Foundation by the so-called ‘compassionate’ left.

Does the Church have the guts to do it? THAT’S the real question.

Myron Falwell on February 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I have to admire it.

It’s so perfectly barefaced. So utterly, completely pure. No batted eyelash. No stammering blush. Much, much more impressive than “I did not have sex with that woman. Ms. Lewinsky.”

I didn’t know a person’s brain, conspiring with their ego, could attain this level of … arrogant … whatever this terrible and dead thing is.

I know. Reminds me of a perfect diamondback rattler.

shaloma on February 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Obama is the Pope and Pelosi is his faithful handmaiden.

Democrats are by nature servile–that’s why they worshipped the Kennedys so enthusiastically. They just want to be ruled over, for someone to take care of things for them. They’re not really up to self-governance. For them, Obama is some kind of princeling who will take care of them.

It’s disgusting, I know.

Herald of Woe on February 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM

She must have misunderstood the question.

No. No. She’s a f***ing liar. She’s an arrogant, megalomaniacal liar.

Jim Treacher on February 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

And thus explains why Martin Luther split from the church and spurred the Protestant Reformation. (For those who don’t know, he was a German monk who refused to comply with the practice of indulgences – basically offering a payment to the church in order for the sacrament of reconciliation – and openly left the church.)

Myron Falwell on February 3, 2012 at 8:59 PM

If you read your church history, you will read that he repented on his deathbed, realizing he had committed a few mortal sins, and besides, he is also known as the “mad Monk.” So much for Luther. Read about him….

chai on February 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

chai on February 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I was oversimplifying the case to fit the previous quote.

Of course, you and I know that Pelosi will NEVER repent. It’s not in her to do so.

Myron Falwell on February 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM

it’s very likely that the church in San Fran is so lax and immoral that no one has EVER cared to call her out.)

Myron Falwell on February 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Well, San Francisco does express its views on Christianity/Catholicism in some unique ways.

I’ll let you Google these examples on your own, so I don’t risk getting banned for providing risque links:

- “Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence

- The “Hunky Jesus Contest” which is held annually on Easter morning in San Francisco’s Dolores Park. Zombie posted particularly good coverage of the most recent contest with photos at PJMedia.com.

And then the Occupy SF kids expressed their tolerance for religion by throwing Bibles at the San Francisco Police at their recent “non-violent” protest.

“Once they gained access [to the hotel], some of them made it to the top of the roof and they then began to throw bibles down at the officers,” San Francisco Police Department spokesman Carlos Manfredi said.

You just can’t make this stuff up!

And yet, San Francisco prides itself on being such a “tolerant” city.

You are right, Myron. If the Catholic Church doesn’t speak out against these examples, they are unlikely to reprimand Nancy Pelosi.

wren on February 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Back when reporters tried to be somewhat even-handed or at least to seem so in gross cases, we had a much more skillful brand of liar in office.

Pelosi doesn’t even have to attempt to make sense.

kunegetikos on February 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM

As a Mass resident can you tell me: Does RomneyCare tell Catholics to take their conscience exemptions and stuff it?
Buy Danish on February 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I’m not a Mass resident, and I don’t know about RomneyCare, but Romney did tell Catholics to ‘stuff it’. He used an EO to force Catholic hospitals to provide ‘emergency contraception’. You can read all about it here. Even more troublesome is that shortly after Romney vetoed the requirement that hospitals offer Plan B to rape victims, Romney reversed himself and issued an executive order on December 8, 2005, against the legal opinion of his own State Department of Public Health, instructing all Catholic hospitals and others to provide the chemical Plan B “morning after pill” to rape victims!

pannw on February 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Let’s face it, folks. It’s time to leave truth and factuality behind. We live in the age of Obama. Words no longer have meaning. History is a fresh lump of clay. What matters is feelings. Or, rather, the feelings of the polity, as designed by our credentialed betters — like former speaker Pelosi.

minnesoter on February 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

chai on February 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The world would be a much better place if the Bible was never translated so that ORDINARY PEOPLE could read it. Clearly an earthly establishment of fallible men should dictate to ORDINARY PEOPLE what to think and believe.

/s

tom daschle concerned on February 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Obama won the majority of the Catholic vote. And he’ll do it again this year. They have decided to trade one Messiah for another, and now their prayers have been answered. Hard to feel much sympathy.

The Resolute Desk on February 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Of what, exactly, does her Catholicism consist?

I love that question.

All Christians should ask themselves “Of what, exactly, does my Christianity consist?” as they go. There might be a lot of good work in answering that question.

Axe on February 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM

First of all, I am going to stick with my fellow Catholics

I’m a Catholic. I just looked around and Pelosi is not stuck to me, nor am I to her.

Whatever Church she thinks she belongs to is not mine, for its teachings do not even remotely match where Pelosi is going on this.

unclesmrgol on February 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

chai on February 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Not sure what church history you are reading, but it is definitely of the revisionist variety. … and yes, I have read about him from multiple sources including the renowned historian (who, by the way was not a Lutheran). All of your statements above are factually incorrect. Every one of them.

AZfederalist on February 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM

including the renowned historian Roland Bainton

AZfederalist on February 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Gaah! That’s a great way to make a point, leave out one’s reference.

AZfederalist on February 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

You don’t get it, do ya? It’s not what “a majority of Catholics” agree upon. It’s what the Church teaches. Those who claim to be Catholic, but favor contraception and abortion, are not true to what the Church teaches and are CINO. People like Pelosi are using the label ‘Catholic’ only to garner votes with those who are. They are imposters, plain and simple.

chewmeister on February 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Then that’s something conservatives critiquing this particular comment by Pelosi have to emphasize.

But that gets to the question of what is a Catholic, which is a controversial one most “professional” commentators (to differentiate the people who run this site with the people like you and I who respond) and politicians don’t want to get into for obvious reasons.

I’m a protestant, so I don’t think it’s my place to say that someone else isn’t a Catholic. If someone says they are, I take them on their word.

Otherwise, you’re going to exclude most women who believe themselves to be Catholic because they use contraceptive methods banned by the church.

Mister Mets on February 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM

The former Annuciata D’Allesandro, a Baltimore ward-heeler’s daughter, puts political pragmatism above any ethical considerations. Her cafeteria Catholicism is scandalous.

Michael Savage had a heyday mocking Pelosi’s childlike rendering of a Biblical passage at the National Prayer Breakfast. His mockery was perfect.

Pelosi is bought and paid for, and that is how she wields power over her House lackeys who are also bought and paid for.

onlineanalyst on February 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM

What gets me about this issue, abortion, gay marriage, rights for gays to adopt, etc., is that what they really want is for us to freely accept that their position is morally correct, and our position (people of faith)is biased, bigoted, hate-filled, intolerant, or whatever the insult of the day is. I think they scream so loudly at us, throw Bibles at us, hangers at us, and deface our sacred relics because they CANNOT alter the depth of our faith. Even in the face of ridule, laws, discrimination, and true hatred, we stand firm. What is more, we are not the martyrs. We are the soldiers. And we know who our true Messiah is.

redmama on February 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

/s

tom daschle concerned on February 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Hmm. We are a world filled with a very fallible set of people — in fact, every one of us individually is fallible, but the Church is not.

Further, if the clergy, with their lives spent learning about the ways of the Lord, were fallible, than every farmer who set themselves up as their equal was even more fallible. Just pointing out the obvious road down which you travel.

Once upon a time, every Bible was worth a king’s ransom — the Bible in your church would be the only one around for miles due to the costs associated with assuring that its Scripture was a faithful copy of a validated text, coupled with the costs of hand-copying each new Bible from the reference Bible.

Versions of the Bible in the vernacular (the language of the people) appeared as early as the 8th Century, and by the time of Luther, over 150 versions of the Bible in the vernacular had been created in practically every language spoken in Europe. The Church certainly was not against the Bible being in the vernacular, but it was certainly against certain translations which it viewed as errant — Wycliff’s springs to mind immediately.

What prevented the Bible from being in the hands of the common man was its immense cost. Remember, most of the history of the Church predates the printing press. The press made it possible for each person to possess their own Bible. Indeed, it was not until after the advent of the printing press that universal education — training the common people to read and write — was developed.

Universal education for the commons would not occur until nearly a century of printing had passed.

Now, compare the history of Luther against the history of the invention and use of printing. Is there anything worth noticing? Hint: Guttenberg, whose press was the prototype of those which would make printing so cheap that everyone could afford books, did not print his first book until the 1450′s — a Vulgate (Latin) edition of the Bible; even that book cost about two years’ wages for a common man.

By the time baby Luther arrived on the scene, books had been printed for a grand total of six years. In other words, Luther grew up in an era where printing was becoming more and more common and cheaper, and the universal ability to read and write was occurring.

Still, the language of international commerce — the language understood everywhere educated men went — was still Latin. It was the language Luther first mastered liturgically, and it was the language in which all of the writings upon which he would found his new religion was written. It was the language contained in the very best edition of the Bible at the time of Luther — the Vulgate of St. Jerome.

Just pointing out that Luther didn’t really bring anything onto the scene that wasn’t there already — including dissent and heresy. What Luther tapped into was the need for some German rulers to break the Church for their own purposes.

If anything can be marked as the thing which would aid the Muslims in reaching the Gates of Vienna, it was the acts of Luther and his followers.

unclesmrgol on February 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

chewmeister on February 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

What if I go to confession and pray for forgiveness knowing I cannot bear all the children the good Lord would give me? You insult me. We are all sinners, and there are positions in the Catholic Church that I disagree with and vocalize against just the same. The Church embraces and weeps with women who have had abortions. They are not shunned. The difference here again is asking for mercy and the forgiveness of sins. Obama, HHS, Pelosi, et. al. want us to take part in the sin.

redmama on February 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

unclesmrgol on February 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I appreciate your historical perspective. Have you ever read William Manchester’s A World Lit Only by Fire? The confluence of several events– the printing press being one– changed the way people viewed the world.

onlineanalyst on February 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

It’s comments like these from Nancy Nuts that make me count down the days until we unleash the Kraken once again in November.

goflyers on February 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

redmama on February 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

What is the difference between you and Pelosi disagreeing with the teaching of the church? I don’t know if you are aware, but absolution in the confessional presumes that the siner is repentant and has the intention not to keep comitting the sin. The church provides for situations when people need to limit their family size through natural family planing. I would recommend reading the Catechism on these matters. Contraception is considered an intrinsic evil which is never justified. I realize catholics have free will and might decide not to be in union with the church by choosing what to accept and what not to accept, that is what Pelosi is doing.

neuquenguy on February 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I’d love to see the reaction if she got excommunicated.

joekenha on February 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Does the Church have the guts to do it? THAT’S the real question.

Myron Falwell on February 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

People misunderstand “excommunication.” It isn’t “throwing someone out of the Church” at all – once Catholic, always Catholic. What it does is withhold the Eucharist because of certain intolerable acts or conditions. And the Church’s focus immediately upon excommunication is to bring the offender back into communion.

But the clergy has limited discretion on when they may order excommunication. Having had it up to here with Pelosi’s nonsense doesn’t qualify.

Adjoran on February 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM

redmama on February 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

It sounds like you are describing a false confession to me. If you don’t believe you sinned, you can’t honestly confess it, nor be of a contrite heart.

There is an entire discipline of the clergy devoted to the study of the faith and ensuring Church doctrine matches the best possible understanding of Scripture and theology. You have the freedom to speak your mind and communicate your thoughts to them, and to the Pope, through your Bishop. Disagreement doesn’t license you to disregard the current teaching, however.

Adjoran on February 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

What is the difference between you and Pelosi disagreeing with the teaching of the church?…I realize catholics have free will and might decide not to be in union with the church by choosing what to accept and what not to accept, that is what Pelosi is doing.

neuquenguy on February 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I disagree with every ounce of my being. Pelosi is applauding a law that is trying to make the Church a party to that which goes against its tenets. I work within the Church trying to have a better understanding of its position with regard to contraception. I am not rejecting my Church’s teachings. I did. I sought forgiveness. And I partake in dialogue about that position.

redmama on February 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

She has a black bottomless pit where her heart should be.

yhxqqsn on February 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Adjoran on February 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I know. and my heart is contrite.

redmama on February 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Mister Mets on February 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM

You can certainly determine and state that someone’s behavior is un-Christian, and, if you have enough understanding of Catholicism, you can even go so far as to say they are un-Catholic.

If one claims to stand with Christians, or Catholics, or whatever, they are asserting that they are in substantial agreement with the articles of faith of the group they claim to stand with.

Here, Pelosi is standing far away from any Catholic article of faith. The Church teaches this: Fecundity is a gift, an end of marriage, for conjugal love naturally tends to be fruitful. A child does not come from outside as something added on to the mutual love of the spouses, but springs from the very heart of that mutual giving, as its fruit and fulfillment. So the Church, which “is on the side of life” teaches that “each and every marriage act must remain open ‘per se’ to the transmission of life.” “This particular doctrine, expounded on numerous occasions by the Magisterium, is based on the inseparable connection, established by God, which man on his own initiative may not break, between the unitive significance and the procreative significance which are both inherent to the marriage act.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2366).

Now, this position is a tenet of faith for all Catholics — they are free to disagree (primacy of conscience is also a Catholic tenet), but they must take into account the magisterium (including the Catechism) in forming their conscience — this certainly is not an “anything goes” kind of thing — it’s more of a “the priest told me that this act is not sinful, but I think it is” kind of thing.

So, if Catholicism as an institution is against artificial contraception, then doesn’t that put the lie to Pelosi’s attempt to wrap herself in the mantle of Catholicism? Isn’t it reasonable to assume that some large number of Catholics might actually be listening to and following the tenets of the Church, including Catholic hospitals? And if that’s the case, isn’t it a violation of freedom of conscience when you force them to do something which is against the tenets of their belief?

unclesmrgol on February 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

redmama on February 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I apologize if I misunderstood. It sounded to me like you were describing a situation where someone dissagreed with the teaching on contraception and dealt with it by intentionally disregarding it and going to cofession with the intention of continuing using it.
On a side note, I found the encyclical Humanae Vitae a great help in understanding this teaching. It is actually a beautiful teaching, just as our faith is a beautiful faith.

neuquenguy on February 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I’m a Catholic who supports birth control(between ‘marrieds’-not abortion) who doesn’t think insurance should be required to pay for ANY of it.
Nancy does NOT speak for me!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM

onlineanalyst on February 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

No, I haven’t — but I’ll check it out.

unclesmrgol on February 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Btw: Since I can no longer bear children-it’s VERY unlikely, anyway-birth control is not an issue for me anymore.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Nancy Pelosi is no Catholic

J_Crater on February 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM

our faith is a beautiful faith.

neuquenguy on February 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Amen! : )

redmama on February 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Regardless of what is thought of Catholicism in the American popular culture, at least those adherents to that faith should be allowed to follow their moral conscience as citizens under the Constitution. We are losing our sense of Liberty and Tolerance and replacing them with tyranny as a nation. Again, the many suffer for the few. We live in perilous times.

In order to marginalize, hopefully terminate this coming fall, this administration’s tools of demagoguery, ad hominem, and straw men used to promulgate and maintain this tyranny, the country must now think strategically, rather than, popularly. Nancy Pelosi and Kathleen Sebelius are not moral theologians; they are secular/sectarian populist anarchists. The two seconds that HHS Sebelius took to sign the health care policy certainly is not of the same value and virtue as two thousand years of reflection, history, and faith seeking understanding of the Catholic Church and others of profound faith. Imperfect as all human institutions are, and the human element within Catholic Church is no exception, it’s the standard, the value, the virtue of what the Church intends for the faithful to follow that needs be respected in a free-society.

Americans brought up with a Judeo-Christian formed conscience and have decided to live that soul are no longer respected or allowed to retain that conscience. Apparently, those who are always so obsessed with keeping religion out of government seem to have no problem forcing government into religion.

Thistle on February 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM

redmama on February 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Good night :)

neuquenguy on February 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I’d love to see the reaction if she got excommunicated.

joekenha on February 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Does the Church have the guts to do it? THAT’S the real question.

Myron Falwell on February 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Adjoran on February 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM

It seems every couple months (or weeks (or days)) there is a thread on Hot Air where people do not understand what excommunication is. People, the Church does not excommunicate anyone. People excommunicate themselves. Excommunication is the willful separation of a person from the mystical body of Christ. For example, if you fully know the Church’s teaching on contraception and yet still obstinately refuse to accept it and follow it, then you’ve maybe excommunicated yourself. Can Christ be joined to the body of a prostitute? Out of the question! When we say the Church has excommunicated someone, what we should really say is that the Church has officially recognized someone’s excommunication. It is not the Church’s declaration which excommunicates, but the individuals deeds and beliefs.

Goldenavatar on February 4, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I think every single Republican running for Congress should have one ad, the same ad across the nation.

Show a photo of Pelosi and their opponent side by side and simply say, a vote for “insert Democrats name” is a vote for Nancy Pelosi.

Republicans would easily pick up seats if they ran that ad in every district.

ButterflyDragon on February 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Republicans would easily pick up seats if they ran that ad in every district.

ButterflyDragon on February 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM

In addition to your wonderful advertising strategy, local Tea Parties and Congressional Campaigns should be ready to “welcome” Nancy Pelosi to town every time she arrives to speak at a fundraiser.

The reason Nancy Pelosi has a leadership position in the Democrat Party is because she travels the country raising money for Democrat candidates.

If we can make it clear to Democrat candidates that being associated with Nancy Pelosi’s fundraising is more of a liability than a benefit, then we will have drained Pelosi of a significant source of POWER.

wren on February 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I’d love to see the reaction if she got excommunicated.

joekenha on February 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

At some point, I think that the Church ought to seriously consider it. She has been way out of line for a long time

ghostwriter on February 4, 2012 at 1:23 AM

My grim faced,Wesleyan,circuit riding preacher forbears would have burnt Pelosi at the stake for witchcraft.

Spots the Dog on February 4, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Pelosi, Obama, Reid and the rest of their ilk must go, lest the Republic along with Christianity will be destroyed.

rplat on February 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM

As long as they can claim it’s for women’s health rights, anyone who gets in their way will feel their wrath including popes and bishops. They all live in an alternate universe.

Kissmygrits on February 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Meaning they may not offer healthcare to workers, who will be forced into govt healthcare collectives.

Akzed on February 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM

A. She is insane
B. Following Playbook
C. A + B

I say C.

SparkPlug on February 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I’ll go with C! That was my thought exactly!

FuzzyJJE on February 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM

For some reason, I was immediately reminded of this article by Rod Dreher from a while back, criticizing a fella who claims to be Catholic while opposing just about everything the Catholic church stands for and even calling himself an “anti-Catholic Catholic.”

Highlight:

nobody gets to tell me that I’m not a Catholic… No priest gets to do so, and no bishop, either, and that especially means the bishop of Rome himself. No pope can tell me I’m not a Catholic.

Other gems:

…the Church can only teach me the things that I want to be taught.

If the teaching authority of the Church is wholly dependent on my conscience, then the Church has no authority to teach on topics on which my conscience is not engaged

Now that I think about it, this guy is actually better than Dear Nan, since he at least likes the “conscience thing” (as Dear Nan would put it) that Catholics have.

Mr. Prodigy on February 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Just another example how the Democrats throw lies about hoping at least some stick to their wall of deceit.

aposematic on February 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM

redmama on February 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Fail.

yubley on February 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Is she dilusional or does she think there’s no need any longer for the fig leaf ?

I think it’s a calculated approach that not enough people pay enough attention to detect the ridiculousness of what comes out of her mouth.

Not-a-Marxist on February 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Pelosi personifies politicians everywhere, who put self above all else! She has the temerity to suggest she and the rest of Catholicism are opposed to the Pope and Cannon Law when it comes to contraception and abortion. What a halfwit she is.
She further suggests that motherhood somehow puts her above the Church and it’s teachings and precepts. She is a disgusting human being, but you get what you play for! No pun intended.

tomshup on February 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Excommunication for Nanny Pelosi, General Interdict on Kalifornia until they remove all such like-minded ‘people’ from office. Just a thought…

affenhauer on February 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

My mother once advised me “No matter what you believe, you’re still Catholic”. Of course, she came from a place where the religion was pretty much a package deal with your ethnicity. I suspect there’s lots out there who likewise call themselves Catholic because of cultural identity rather than scrupulous belief, and being Italian-American Pelosi might well be one of them. That being said, let’s not forget that Pelosi is such a master of doublespeak with a straight face that even John Stewart was dumbfounded in disbelief interviewing her.

sistrum on February 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Wow. What a strange counter-reality bubble Nan’ resides within; adds a whole new dimension to Platonic cave shadows, eh?

davisbr on February 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

A few drunks sleeping on the Church steps does not constitute “fellow Catholics

Wade on February 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Would it be a sin to take a baseball bat to this whore’s head?

Nothing I can’t repent later.

NoDonkey on February 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

As outraged as I am about this story, I’m even more upset at the bishops for ever having made deals with the devil. Their social engineering is the reason we Catholics, and soon all Christians, are in this pickle.

If we Catholics are taught that confession is good for the soul, the Church should admit to its mistakes for having sided with the left on the hellscare law.

madmonkphotog on February 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

sistrum: Yes, on the Catholic cultural identity thing. How can we forget the limit case of such spiritual travesty?

The Godfather I, baptism sequence:

PRIEST: Do you believe in the Holy Ghost, the Holy Catholic Church?
MICHAEL CORLEONE: I do.

PRIEST: Michael Francis Rizzi — do you renounce Satan?
CUT TO: Hotel elevator – Strachi and a Don shot by Clemenza
MICHAEL: I do renounce him.
CUT TO: Massage room, Moe shot in the eye.

PRIEST: And all his works?
CUT TO: Hotel, Cicci kills Don Cuneo
MICHAEL: I do renounce them.
CUT TO: Rocco and another gunman riddle Tattaglia and woman with bullets while she screams “Oh God, oh God!”

PRIEST: And all his pomps?
MICHAEL: I do renounce them.
CUT TO: Courthouse, where Neri shoots Barzini, his bodyguard, and his chauffeur

PRIEST: Michael Rizzi — will you be baptized?
MICHAEL: I will.
PRIEST: [After baptizing:] Go in peace, and may the Lord be with you.

rasqual on February 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM