Video: Are you ready for the Chevy Volt Super Bowl commercial?

posted at 7:10 pm on February 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

Here’s my problem. As much fun as it is to make fun of GM for the Volt, I … feel a little sorry for them. Really. Wouldn’t it be sweet if this thing was the middle-class green dream they want it to be? Imagine a sticker price of, say, 15 grand — without the taxpayer-subsidized rebate. Imagine the drop in U.S. oil demand as sales exploded and, er, rickety power grids struggled to cope with skyrocketing electricity use. Imagine they weren’t reduced to gimmicky FX-heavy Super Bowl ads to sell a car that’s supposed to sell itself via its mileage but can’t because it can’t beat hybrids on price. This is the future I dream of, my friends. A RINO candy-ass future.

Six hundred three units sold last month. No typo. Nationwide.

GM sold just 603 Volts – above its sales in January 2011, but far below GM’s best-ever sales month in December, when GM sold 1,529 Volts.

Last week, GM North America President Mark Reuss said sales of the Volt have been hurt by bad publicity.

Reuss said bad publicity from the government’s investigation into fire risks of post-crash Volts is “definitely a component” of the decline in sales.

GM sold about 7,700 in 2011, below GM’s target of 10,000. GM abandoned its sales target of 45,000 for 2012 last month, saying it would match “supply to demand.”

Here’s the ad that’s going to turn it all around. Picture the look of surprise on the faces of blue-collar football fans when they swing by the dealership and find out how much it costs. Obligatory snarky exit question: Why do the aliens seem so amazed here? Because they finally managed to find someone who actually bought one of these things? Or because it’s not on fire?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So, is the US Government in competition against Ford?

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM

GM has not paid off their taxpayer funded loans…sold 603 Volts last month, but can afford to advertise on the Super Bowl.

Ford can’t afford that…but hey, this is JugEar’s America!

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The headlines box is squirrely tonight.

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

VOLT:

A car that costs much more than a hybrid,

which uses expensive batteries whose cost (generously assuming a 5 year battery life) amounts to about $142/month: more than the potential gas savings can ever be…even with unrealistically high annual usage and $4/gallon gas,

and which, if driven through a puddle or otherwise becomes wet on its underside, can catch fire and burn your house down!!!

…and they can’t figure out why these dogs don’t sell!!!????

DUH!!!

landlines on February 2, 2012 at 8:17 PM

PS..You get bonus points for the Back to the Future reference..:)

Dire Straits on February 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Thanks. The reason they’re starting on fire is probably due to not using the right fuel in the flux capacitor though.

chewmeister on February 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Wish I new what there net was on the 7700 units sold. Cause if my math is correct running that ad only once makes the ad buy a bad one all on its own. See my first comment. See if it makes any sense.

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM

To help GM, my administration will mandate that everyone buys a volt – Romney
lorien1973 on February 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I love it.
– Ann

angryed on February 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM

DUH!!!

landlines on February 2, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I make a five-hour, 275-mile drive to Lexington, KY for the Bluegrass Stakes every April. Can you imagine such a trip in one of these turds?

Neither can I. I’ll be in the Mountaineer. Thanks just the same, Barry.

predator on February 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Eric’s test drive does not end well.
JPeterman on February 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Can you send flowers to him in the burn unit?

As others have noted, The Edsel was an excellent car.
It sold poorly because it was placed in the price market that was already covered by the Mercury during the 1958 recession (and it was ugly as sin).

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM

chewmeister on February 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I think it’s because the Johnson Rods overheat. But then, I’m not a Volt mechanic, so what do I know?

predator on February 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

chewmeister on February 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on February 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

PS, that commercial sucks worse than the Volt itself. I’d be embarrassed. I mean, even the premise. The next closest star that a planetary system might be near is 4.2 light years away. So, the civilization that would have to have the technology to travel that expanse is going to come ask us about our miracle car that gets 24 miles of electrical locomotion after a full 12 hour battery charge?

The jokes write themselves and every punch-line is Volt.

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM

The jokes write themselves and every punch-line is Volt.

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I agree sir..But the joke is what WE are paying for that commercial..:(

Dire Straits on February 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Dire Straits on February 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Hey. I had to.

chewmeister on February 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM

There is fire in the Volt,
and if you so desire.

We can park one in your garage
and see if it starts a fire.

Oh my you might say as if you didn’t know,
drive it for a mile or until it starts to glow.

It’s the bankers that will pay
and the 1 percents,
but what will you care
sit’in in your new residence.

Buy green! Says the commander in chief.
And if your house burns, we’ll make like a thief.

Moneys no problem and as you’ll readily see,
vote for me and you can have it all for free.

rightoption on February 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

rightoption on February 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Damn dog won’t shut up.

rightoption on February 2, 2012 at 8:32 PM

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM

hawkdriver on June 23, 2011 at 1:41 AM

hawkdriver
I was doing some research last night and was on some of the older threads see the one above. Sometime if you get a chance I wouldn’t mind getting your take on that thread.

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM

hawkdriver

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM

A link would be easier.

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Gay.

Herald of Woe on February 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Yep.

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The fellow you were going back and forth with any idea how many he really is?

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The fellow you were going back and forth with any idea how many he really is?

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Not really.

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM

A few though, right?

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

A few though, right?

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

At least.

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I tell ya, there are so many now I don’t know if I will ever get the list I’m working on together. Say, How did you end up with the random one the other day?

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Say, How did you end up with the random one the other day?

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I think the correct argument prevailed.

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM

You’re a good guy hawkdriver, Thanks for all you do. Those old threads are a hoot. I was telling Dire earlier its fun to read them. You all were much different as a group before the rest of us came in. Hope we haven’t messed it up to much. I try to be a positive.

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Everything changes. That’s the way the world is.

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Yep.

Bmore on February 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I agree sir..But the joke is what WE are paying for that commercial..:(

Dire Straits on February 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Exactly! That’s what went through my mind while watching that video. That taxpayer dollars went to create that crappy ad for a crappy vehicle that won’t break even on the books.

ButterflyDragon on February 2, 2012 at 9:24 PM

BTW Chevy From media.ford.com.

The Ford F-Series, America’s top-selling vehicle for the past 30 years posted January sales of 38,493 vehicles, representing an 8 percent increase. EcoBoost-equipped F-150s represented 42 percent of retail sales in January, providing Ford a retail F-150 V6 engine mix (EcoBoost V6 and Ford’s 3.7-liter V6) of 54 percent for the month.

Good products sell themselves. (Having Mike Rowe hawk your stuff doesn’t hurt either)

hawkdriver on February 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I’m feeling deja VI here. Didn’t someone get beat up for running a Superbowl ad in 09 after being bailed out? EP me out here folks.

AH_C on February 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 2, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Very good point that bears repeating..:)

Dire Straits on February 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM

All you need to do is punch a hole in a lithium battery and the risk of fire is huge. That nobody figured this out very early on is amazingly dumb. Or it’s simply the Emperor’s New Clothes for the “Green” era. Of course they got Obama the world’s worst investor drunk off other people’s money so maybe reality was never part of the equation. I think after all these fumbles and wasted energy, we may finally come full circle and see how “green” oil really is by comparison. But you can’t tell liberals they are making a mistake. After all, they are the smartest people in the room. They will tell you that. So they only learn by making the mistake. Look how long it took Al Gore to realize burning food for energy was a bad idea.

MechanicalBill on February 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Imagine being able to go further than around the corner to the grocery store on a single charge before having sit around waiting for the coal fired power plants to provide the electricity to recharge this puppy.

Personally, I like the idea of moving away from fossil fuels, which, let’s face it, are dirty, and not from a CO2 POV. However, if I have to stop every 30-50 minutes to recharge, waiting 30 minutes or so, no thanks.

William Teach on February 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM

MechanicalBill on February 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Exactly. One of my hobbies is flying RC Airplanes. It’s well known that LiPo batteres, small as they are in toy planes, can “puff”, meaning an imbalance in their chemical composition among individual cells has occurred and that they are about to incur a flameout. The answer is to fling the damn things as far away from yourself as one can. Kinda tough to do with a car Batt, huh?

ManWithNoParty on February 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Neither can I. I’ll be in the Mountaineer. Thanks just the same, Barry.

Oh, Barry will take care of you.

For trips longer than fifty miles, the proletariat will take high-speed rail. Internal combustion engines are reserved for Party members, who deserve to be more equal because of their selfless work for the proletariat.

MidniteRambler on February 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Still can’t believe that the DURACELLs opened and remain as 3 point favorites over the RAY-O-VACs…

Del Dolemonte on February 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM

William Teach on February 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM

You’re just looking at things the wrong way. It’s all a matter of perspective. Fossil fuels are just nature’s method of storing sunlight for future use. What could be greener than that? When you burn fossil fuels you’re just releasing all that stored sunlight. And all those old dead trees and dinosaurs that we remove from the ground that’s like cleaning up a landfill or a toxic waste dump. We’re saving mother Gaia by getting rid of all those nasty old hydrocarbons. Get it, we’re removing all that polluting carbon from the Earth! Just by establishing a fossil fueled economy we are using solar power reducing our carbon footprint and cleaning up the Earth at the same time. Win win.

Oldnuke on February 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I have long toyed with the idea of driving an electric car in town and using a gas high mileage vehicle when I need to go farther in town. For long trips and vacations I could rent.

My wife would have the new shiny electric since her trips tend to be short (stay at home mom that she is) and I would drive a clunker gas economy car. If it dies, I can fix it. I wouldn’t dare take it on a long trip (it has 323,000 miles on it).

No car payments. No gas for one car and a reliable new rental for the vacations.

Now that is a recipe I can live with.

The Rock on February 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Ford can’t afford that…but hey, this is JugEar’s America!

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Watching that commercial, I think Ford just got a commercial they did not have to pay for. If I were looking for a car, that commercial is bad enough to make me go looking for the competition.

/Yeah, commercials work on me, but not in the way the advertisers intend

AZfederalist on February 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Something is running deep, but it isn’t Chevy.

spec_ops_mateo on February 3, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Flamingly advanced technology, this car is hot!

Dollayo on February 3, 2012 at 7:23 AM

This is the sticking point for me. The jug-eared idiot lectured us that sending all that money to the UAW was an “investment” in Govt. Motors re-making itself. A mere priming of the pump that would have the money flowing in once the Volt was launched. Well, the American taxpayer was bilked to protect the pensions of a bunch of union pensioners and we have nothing to show for it but a crappy overpriced golf cart that has the looks of the AMC Gremlin, the safety record of the Ford Pinto, and the practicality of a 1980 DeLorean.

Happy Nomad on February 3, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Gee, a $45,000 Cavalier or a $25,000 Crv. Such a tough choice…

MNHawk on February 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Bruce Springsteen can become the Volt spokesman and appear in the commercial singing “I’M ON FIRE”.

MaiDee on February 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM

So I bought a super bowl commercial for a volt???

jeffn21 on February 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM

One thing I’ve always wondered:
Once I’ve travelled my 35 gas-free miles *snort*, and I plug it in to recharge, will it recharge like my cell phone battery? You know, the one that used to last a week, and now lasts two days … maybe? Will I be driving down the street and the guage shows 10 miles left on the charge, then a block later it shows 1 mile left? And, since I relied on the numbers Chevy gave me, I haven’t bothered to fill the gas tank? When that guy in his diesel F150 comes along to give me a jump, will it melt the plastic right off the jumper cables as it tries to charge the battery bank?

GWB on February 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

GWB on February 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Just have the dealership deal with it when they repair the fire damage.

Happy Nomad on February 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Don’t see anything funny here especially when you consider that Government Motors owes us all money!!! My next car is a Ford!

Christian Conservative on February 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Just have the dealership deal with it when they repair the fire damage.

Happy Nomad on February 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Hah! Doesn’t the car have to be damaged, first, though? Like the F150 driver sneezing while he’s leaning on the Volt while looking for the jumper lugs?

GWB on February 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Is it just me or were others also trying to find a Hope & Change 2008 bumper sticker somewhere on that car?

Egfrow on February 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I like how the aliens are threatening to rape his wife at the end. Classy.

lorien1973 on February 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I thought aliens were more into anal probing of drunk rednecks….

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Once I’ve travelled my 35 gas-free miles *snort*,
GWB on February 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Ya I hear ya – 35 miles – on a good day. Today in Colorado we’re getting a blizzard – so turn on windshield wipers, headlights, interior heater/window defroster, and you might want to listen to the radio to hear about accidents, road closures and weather updates. So with all those ELECTRIC features running, how far will that car really go?

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM

And my current commute is 25 miles each way to a military base out in the prairie – not a place I want to run out of electrons – especially in this weather.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM

So I’ll stick with my $40K (new), 16 mpg, 31 gallon tank (fill once every 2 weeks), pre-Gubmint Motors Avalanche.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I’ve watched the commercial four time now, and I don’t get it.

So the pitch is that when it runs out of battery power it switches to gas–and advanced civilizations are impressed??????

I have a suggestion for GM. Build a car that will sell at a reasonable price and make a profit without government subsidies and then paybacke the taxpayer who bailed your sorry asses out of financial collapse.

But that won’t happen because your soul is owned by the unions and the government–neither of which has ever made a profit at anything.

BMF on February 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Battery cells from South Korea, transmission from Japan, engine from Austria, electric motors from Mexico. You can’t get more all-American than that! Wait um…

clghitis on February 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM