Rubio: America cannot truly fulfill its destiny without defending unborn life

posted at 3:05 pm on February 2, 2012 by Tina Korbe

With his speech at the Reagan Presidential Library last year, Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio cemented his reputation as a particularly able spokesman for social conservatism — and, even as his name is repeatedly tossed out as a potential vice presidential nominee, he fearlessly addresses issues that many political strategists would argue are best left off the table in an economy-dominated election cycle like this one.

Today, at the Susan B. Anthony List fifth annual Campaign for Life Gala, for example, Rubio reminded his pro-life audience that the question of whether we as a society will allow abortion to continue has ramifications far beyond politics. It is, he said, a “definitional” question, determinative of our vision of the human person and society. Do we think people are usable and dispensable or do we think they are inherently lovable and irreplaceable at every stage of development?

“The way we look at [human rights atrocities] in history and condemn them — this era will be condemned for this, I have no doubt about it,” Rubio said. “Our job is to accelerate the process of getting there, to ensure that sooner rather than later — God willing, in our lifetime — we can arrive to a consciousness in this nation that this is wrong, that the right to life is a fundamental one that trumps virtually any other right I can imagine, because without it none of the other rights matter.”

Rubio compared today’s pro-life movement to abolitionism, the civil rights movement and women’s suffrage.

“At the end of the day our nation can never truly become what it fully was intended to be unless it deals with this issue squarely,” he said. “America cannot truly fulfill its destiny unless this issue is resolved. It’s that important.”

Rubio is to be commended for not mincing words, for stating clearly what is at stake in this question. As sex and the embrace or nullification of its consequences go, so goes the family. As the family goes, so goes the culture — and, as pundits love to say, culture is upstream from politics.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Keep_the_change, this is your cue.

Bishop on February 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Marco – you are dead-on right. Bullseye.

Harbingeing on February 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM

We elected McCain as a senator, why not Romney as a president. (double face palm).

Kaffa on February 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM

The gods of Narcissism and Hedonism must have the child sacrificed on the altar of abortion.

It is no different than the pagan throwing of children into the fire … in worship of Baal.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Marco- you can’t even get Catholics to get on board with that. See McCain v. Obama 2008.

FlaMurph on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Sorry, wrong thread.

Kaffa on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I just wish this noted SOPA/PIPA supporter cared as much about defending the internet from government tyranny as he does about defending fetuses. I really like how people who are openly socialist can fool millions of gullible voters into thinking they’re “conservative” as long as they give some boilerplate-filled speeches about abortion and gay marriage every few months.

Armin Tamzarian on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Rubio: America cannot truly fulfill its destiny without defending unborn life

Which is why I fully endorse and support the guy that said this…

I will protect a woman’s right to choose under the laws of the country and the commonwealth. That’s the same position I’ve had for many years.

angryed on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

But he isn’t a natural born citizen, what does he know..

/Lib water cooler

hillsoftx on February 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

This man has a bright future.

Greek Fire on February 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Didn’t Rubio defend Willard “free abortions for all” Romney in Florida? http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/01/the-top-three-conservative-arguments-about-romneys-record-that-no-one-has-made/

“On every piece of legislation, I came down on the side of life,” Romney said at the Family Research Council’s Values Voters Summit in 2007.

That’s a matter of interpretation.

For instance, Romney’s Massachusetts health care reform law created an 11-member “Health Care Connector Board” that would ensure affordable pricing for various health insurance plans. Romney appointed actuary Bruce Butler, CEO of Associated Industries of Massachusetts Rick Lord, and economist Jonathan Gruber. Four administration officials from Romney’s cabinet were also appointed to the board, per the law: his Secretary of the Executive Office for Administration and Finance; the Medicaid Director in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; the Commissioner of Insurance; and the Executive Director of the Group Insurance Commission.

The law also allowed the governor to appoint the executive director of the Connector Authority, and Romney picked senior vice president for policy development at Tufts Associated Health Plan Jon Kingsdale.

Kingsdale wrote a memo to the Connector Authority recommending that for abortions, insurance companies require co-pays between $0 and $100, depending on income level. In September 2006, that was approved by the Connector Authority. Every health care plan offered to low-income Massachusetts residents covers abortion.

Want to see for yourself? Go to this archived page from the 2006 Connector Authority, and download the “Commonwealth Care Frequently Asked Questions” at the bottom left side of the page.

Rubio is just another Romney shill whom I refuse to get excited about.

casuist on February 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Mr.Rubio…with all due respect, you’d better have a viable plan to overturn Roe v. Wade, or it’s all just words.

MelonCollie on February 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Exactly. A nation that will not defend the defenseless will be destroyed–either within or without.

And the alleged dichotomy between social and fiscal conservative is false. Any attempt to live disregarding God’s principles in any area of life will result in death.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM

SO, Sen. Rubio, from one of your constituents, just how do you justify calling Mitt Romney a conservative?

You shot your credibility full of holes last week when you chose to do so.

Romney:
“When I am asked if I am pro-choice or pro-life, I say I refuse to accept either label.”
(Glen Warchol,“This Is The Place, But Politics May Lead Romneys Elsewhere,”
The Salt Lake Tribune, 2/14/99)

Romney:
“I will preserve and protect a woman’s right to choose, and am devoted and dedicated to honoring my word in that regard. I will not change any provisions of Massachusetts’ pro-choice laws.”
(2002Romney-O’Brien Gubernatorial Debate, Suffolk University, Boston, MA, 10/29/02)

Romney: “I am absolutely committed to my promise to maintain the status quo with regards to laws relating to abortion and choice and so far I’ve been able to successfully do that and my personal philosophical views about this issue is not something that I think would do anything other than distract from what I think is a more critical agenda …”
(Mitt Romney, Press Conference, 5/27/05)

National Review’s Rich Lowry: Romney’s Conversion Story “Isn’t Very Compelling.”
“[Romney’s] account of how he came to change his view on abortion – through the issue of stem-cell research – isn’t very compelling and he would probably be better off not talking about it at all. Fairly or not, people aren’t going to believe it.”
“The Romney Speech,” http://corner.nationalreview.com, 1/29/07

Romney In South Carolina, January 29:
“Over the last multiple years, as you know, I have been effectively pro-choice … I never called myself that as a label but I was effectively pro-choice and that followed a personalexperience in my extended family that led to that conclusion.”
(Bruce Smith, “Romney Campaigns In SC With Sen. DeMint,” The Associated Press, 1/30/07)

Romney In South Carolina, February 8:
“I am firmly pro-life … I was always for life.”
(Jim Davenport, “Romney AffirmsAbortion Opposition During Stop In SC,”
The Associated Press, 2/8/07)

INC on February 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM

MelonCollie

What did you do–cross Lassie with a canteloupe?

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM

“There’s a word for people like Rubio.”

-licks4sparechange

Bishop on February 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Amen, Rubio, Amen.

uhangtight on February 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM

It’s the chicken and the egg situation, really. Women who choose abortions have an egg and are chicken.

The Nerve on February 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM

This gives the world hope for peace, because both conservative Americans and devout Muslim Arabs fully agree on this point. And if you go to other parts of the world, like the Philippines, you’ll find communities where families consisting of 8 to 10 children are the norm as birth control is frowned upon in firm defiance of ‘humanists’ who value quality of life over principles.

bayam on February 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Seems he really wants this VP thing, huh.

IR-MN on February 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

How dare you use scripture to promote a “utopian ideal.”

libfreeordie on February 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM

angryed on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

What is that choice? What is being chosen? What lies in the balance?

squint on February 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM

angryed on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Obama shoulda been pro-life too.

FlaMurph on February 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM

IR-MN on February 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Well, if he wants to be on the ticket with Romney, he’d better not open his yapper that wide, or he’ll blow his chance significantly. Mitt Romney is all about caution and just barely making the grade. No way will Mitt Romney lose his precious Democratic voters by bringing a bombast into visibility.

The Nerve on February 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM

And defending our little girls from pervs: RUSE: The Girl Scout Sex Guide; Pelosi: Girl Scouts’ Relationship With Planned Parenthood ‘Very Valuable’

In related news: Bottled fetuses found in Hannibal basement

We got here while our leaders got rich scamming the system. God help us.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I truly believe that we’re living thru the results of our turning our backs on the unborn.
No need for punishment, simply the removal of blessing brings the nation to this present trouble.
Sigh.

pambi on February 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM

How dare you use scripture to promote a “utopian ideal.”

libfreeordie on February 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Yeah!

lorien1973 on February 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I don’t understand why conservatives are pro-life. I’d much prefer democrats abort their hellish offspring before they are born.

lorien1973 on February 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

bayam on February 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Sarcasm duly noted.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM

women’s suffrage

That went well. :/

Axe on February 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Man, I wish he would run.

ConservativePartyNow on February 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I’m pro-choice, I just choose life. If you don’t want a kid, don’t have sex. I stand in defiance of the people who say “you can’t expect young people with a healthy sex drive to abstain” by saying: “You can if there is no “get out of jail free by killing your child card” available”.

Readily available abortions have not made the “single mother” problem go away, it has actually made it worse and at the same time killed millions of people.

Mord on February 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM

In related news: Bottled fetuses found in Hannibal basement

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Well, Missouri, eh? The last place an abortion house of horrors took place was up here in Philadelphia PA, so it’ll be nice to get this sort of thing spread out a little and shoulder the shame of these sorts of things.

The Nerve on February 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Seems he really wants this VP thing, huh.

IR-MN on February 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

At the very least he’s looking out for his future.

Principles, pfft!

INC on February 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Funny how Libs look down their noses on slave owners and call them rubes (primarily to impugn the founders of our country)…but they don’t see how people 200 years from now will look at them with their zeal for killing fetuses.

CycloneCDB on February 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM

lorien1973 on February 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Conservatives should look out for the dignity of every human being; even if they don’t agree with those people or they in the end tax cons to death.

IR-MN on February 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

CycloneCDB on February 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Well, I’m personally against slave-holding, but who am I to impose my morality on anyone? It’s a personal private choice. Besides, it’s not like we’re dealing with real people. ///

squint on February 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Little Marco Rubio thinks he’s a big shot now.

Willard must have told the boy to say some pro-life stuff, so he can put the young lad on the ticket.

But America cannot truly fulfill its destiny without getting out of debt, either. And little Marco Rubio is up to his [insert vulgar Spanish word here] in debt–a home mortgage, a second mortgage, a home equity loan, and even a student loan–even though he’s already hit his 40th birthday.

He can’t be trusted to help solve the debt crisis if he loves debt so much.

Emperor Norton on February 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM

squint on February 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

WHAT?!?!?!? They would have NEVER said that 200 years ago! :-)

CycloneCDB on February 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM

lorien1973 on February 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

With convenience abortions in the tens of millions, it’s not just liberals/demoncrats aborting like there’s no tomorrow. So just put that little delusion away right now.

(but if it were? I’ll admit I would be also tempted to let them naturally select themselves into extinction.)

What did you do–cross Lassie with a canteloupe?

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM

No, I crossed a jackass with a gorilla and got you.

Not one of my more successful experiments.

MelonCollie on February 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Good lord – what are you people smoking???

Do you know who this resonates with????

The heavily Catholic % of Latinos – who currently vote strongly for Dems, each and every election.

And before anyone says “well, this was brought up before and latinos still vote dem” – I will add – its a big difference coming from an American Cuban residing in Miami who is a Republican.

Odie1941 on February 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

How can anyone who claims to be pro-life, support Romney? Rubio’s bizarre support of Mitt Romney raises more questions than it answers.

Pork-Chop on February 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I look at people like Rubio, Ryan and Jindal…and I have hope for this country!

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Little Marco Rubio

Emperor Norton on February 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM

He doesn’t seem particularly short to me, but then it’s hard to tell from video. Oh wait! You were just trying to belittle the man, weren’t you? Oh, I see now. I apologize for the mix-up.

squint on February 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Tell it to the Catholics including clergy who support, defend and will vote for the exterminator-in-chief.

borntoraisehogs on February 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM

What did you do–cross Lassie with a canteloupe?

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM

No, I crossed a jackass with a gorilla and got you.

Not one of my more successful experiments.

MelonCollie on February 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Now that’s funny right there.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM

This is just throwing out red meat, and nothing more.

No matter how much the so-cons dream of it, Roe v. Wade is not going to be overturned, and no “Human Life Amendment” will ever be ratified as part of the Constitution.

Vyce on February 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You were just trying to belittle the man, weren’t you?

No, for that, I would call him the Cuban Dan Quayle. But I haven’t done that yet.

He does want to run for vice-president. However, he is not eligible.

Emperor Norton on February 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Life is one excellent reason NOT to vote for Mitt. You can try to justify his previous pro-choice stance…but his record exists. You cannot deny what Romney stood for.

balkanmom on February 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Armin Tamzarian on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Really? I mean… really? Wow. I am opposed to SOPA/PIPA as well, and I don’t want the government getting even more power, but I would gladly let the federal government control every single site on the Internet if it meant the end of abortion. Because the two are so far apart in the scales of their importance that it is absolutely ludicrous to compare the two.

And both Marco Rubio and Tina Korbe are right… this issue is definitional for our country, and what we do about it will determine whether we continue to exist as a country in the decades to come. Should we continue to promote the culture that celebrates death and rejects the family, all other issues, including SOPA/PIPA, will become irrelevant, as our society will cease to exist.

Shump on February 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Vyce on February 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM

That’s the spirit. Tuck tail and run, the American way!

Jim Crow wants to have a talk with you.

Bishop on February 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Shump on February 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Exactly. If we keep ignoring the slaughter of innocent people, the luxury of internet will mean nothing.

At best, it will become a tool of tyrany.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Vyce on February 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM

If something can be put in, it can be taken out. Sooner or later, the pendulum swings the other way. Look at slavery, I’m sure a lot of people thought that would last forever.

squint on February 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM

America cannot truly fulfill its destiny without defending unborn life putting all donkeys on an island somewhere

Better, and it includes the unborn.

platypus on February 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM

“If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Let’s pray before the droughts, locusts, and pestilences occur.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM

He does want to run for vice-president. However, he is not eligible.

Emperor Norton on February 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM

A valid point for debate. The vitriol, however, is unnecessary.

squint on February 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM

First, my florida cubans overwhemingly vote for Romney, then Trump endorses Romney, now Rubio NEEDS abortion to be abolished. I’m so incredibly disheartened right now.

Rights are for individuals, as in individual rights, yes? Well what is about the unborn that makes it an individual? The only individual in question is the soon-be-mother of that unborn child. rights are for ACTUAL individuals not potential individuals.

Moreover, a conservative who values limited government is much more consistent in supporting his views on the politics of freedom if he concedes that abortion is congruent with individual rights.

beselfish on February 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Susan G. Komen and the History of the Toughly Worded Letter

I’m told that 22 Dem Senators have signed on to a toughly worded letter urging Komen to reverse its decision, which Komen has justified by citing a new rule prohibiting it from funding any group under investigation by the government. (This has conferred legitimacy and signficance on the probe into Planned Parenthood that has been launched by anti-abortion GOP Rep. Cliff Stearns of Florida.)

J_Crater on February 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM

bayam on February 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

That used to be the normal family size in that country uh, 50 years ago, but it has gone down quite a bit. In 2005 the average Filipino family size had declined to 3 kids.

Del Dolemonte on February 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

beselfish

Indeed, you are.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM

How is it that we assume that we can take the moral high ground over barbaric societies when we’re condoning a barbaric practice here?

Speakup on February 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

J_Crater on February 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM

“Thou art my God from my mother’s belly.” Psalm 22:10

apocalypse on February 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM

rights are for ACTUAL individuals not potential individuals.

beselfish on February 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It seems to me I’ve heard this song before. The lyrics were different, but the beat was similar.

squint on February 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The logic they use to try to justify abortion is absolutely crazy

apocalypse on February 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM

but the beat[ings and murders were] similar.

squint on February 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Sorry. Couldn’t help myself.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Well maybe the democRATS aborting their children is a good thing, getting the stupid out of the gene pool /sarc

angrymike on February 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

the day you give the government the power to go inside your body without your permission in the day the Constitution is gone…Rubio is fake as a three dollar bill

georgealbert on February 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Sorry ppl, it was to open

angrymike on February 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM

What a coincidence! I just sent the message below in answer to an email from a liberal who was highly critical of the Komen Foundation for its new policy to stop giving money to Planned Parenthood. I’m usually short (and hopefully sweet) with my comments, so I feel free to throw in a long one a couple of times a year.

Dear ___,

I went to Planned Parenthood for tests years ago and they practically would not let me out the door without having an abortion. I’m happy to say that child is 35 now and pregnant with my second grandchild. She was 8 weeks pregnant and her sonogram revealed much detail of her baby and they could even tell the baby had hiccups!

Abortions are the violent murder of a trusting baby who only wants protection in its mother’s womb. I applaud the Susan B. Komen Foundation. There are many other ways to get a free mammogram, like getting one from mobile mammogram units at libraries without giving money to PP that victimizes women lives and their children. I have a free mammogram every year. I’m glad the Komen Foundation finally realized that contraception has nothing to do with breast cancer and there are actually some contraceptive medications that increase breast cancer. The poor and elderly can get mammograms with medicaid and medicare. It is a better use of breast cancer research funds to find a cure.

I know of many women who lives were shattered by abortion and many countries that practice gendercide (the killing of unborn, unwanted girls). There are many girls who are victims of statutory rape and Planned Parenthood will not hand the name of their rapist to authorities, just to increase the abortion numbers for funding.

I thought liberals were supposed to be caring, compassionate people but I have yet to meet one. I, like the vast majority of Americans, am center-right politically as the country was founded. Please do not send me any of these upsetting liberal emails. It is already too hard to live with the fact that I have to pay taxes to support these murders, even more so with the unconstitutional Obamacare.

As my favorite Pope, John Paul II said, “That is the dignity of America, the reason she exists, the condition of her survival, yes, the ultimate test of her greatness: to respect every human person, especially the weak and most defenseless ones, those as yet unborn. Give us the grace — When the sacredness of life before birth is attacked, to stand up and proclaim that no one ever has the authority to destroy unborn
life.

Sincerely,
HC

HellCat on February 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

HellCat on February 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Excellent.

davidk on February 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM

“Rubio is to be commended for not mincing words, for stating clearly what is at stake in this question.”

I can’t wait until I get a chance to vote for this man…

Seven Percent Solution on February 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Now, caveat: objectively there is no reason to prefer life over death, but America wasn’t founded on pure objectivity.

Instead: Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness.

Seems hard to realize American’s mission without the first one.

I propose to let anyone who wish perform suicide of their own free will and be allowed to buy comfortable, effective tools for that purpose (like drugs or a helium mask) without force or imprisonment being used to stop them. In THAT sense I support death, because some people aren’t happy (third item on list), and should have the right as free people to end their suffering, from their own subjective perspective, which is the one that counts.

But killing a million or so healthy babies per year who may well go on to thoroughly enjoy their lives (and at least should decide for themselves in most circumstances except in the most dire where it is obvious they are suffering with no hope of a future, and the parents, in consultation with doctors, and subject to review by prosecutors as is done in Holland in rare but very hard (for the child especially) cases, may feel they have a duty to end their child’s suffering through euthanasia) seems a bad thing to do, subjectively, emotionally, and in accordance with America’s founding principles.

Random on February 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Speakup on February 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

… which would make us look slightly different, from a distance, than the image of ourselves we prefer to … maintain.

Axe on February 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

America cannot truly fulfill its destiny without defending unborn life

That’s bothersome. It implies that this is some peripheral work undone; it’s the “truly” part that is doing it. It sounds like we have (will) achieved our destiny, but now we need to attend to these other things to truly achieve all we can.

To clarify, compare:

“America cannot fulfill its destiny without defending unborn life”

– This is completely different.

Axe on February 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Well, Axe, I think if you view America as a place where people have the right to live, liberty, and pursue happiness in their own way, it makes sense. Especially if we only have 2 out of 3 now.

I don’t see how what Rubio says makes no sense. I might not be following you properly.

Random on February 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I am not always kind to “Amazing Marco,” but these are some powerful and very American words he is bringing forth. Gives one hope that the horror of murdering babies for “mere convenience” will end some day.

Good for Rubio! “Carumba!” as his cousin, Mr. Ricardo, used to say.

Man, I wish he would run.
ConservativePartyNow

For what? Senate again? Not qualified to be President under Article II of the U.S. Constitution.
1. Born in Miami, Florida in 1971 to parents who were Cuban citizens residing in the U.S.
2. Rubio’s Cuban-citizen parents became naturalized U.S. citizens in 1975.
3. As both of his parents were non-citizens when he was born in the U.S., Rubio is a native-born American citizen.
4. Americans are “natural born” citizens when they are born on U.S. soil to parents who are both U.S. citizens at the time of their birth.
5. Article II of the Constitution states that only “natural born” American citizens are qualified to be President.
6. Thus, Rubio, a native born American citizen, is not Constitutionally qualified to be President.

But, remarks like these re murdering innocent children could make Rubio a very great U.S. Senator – no natural born requirement to hold that office.

Horace on February 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Sadly there are still many areas without birth control- and family sizes continue to exceed 5 children. Of course, you can’t sustain a community with such large families and people live in destitution as a result. In areas with active Islamic terrorist organizations, this deprivation fuels extremism.

Unlike the US, in most parts of the world ‘family planning’ has nothing to do with abortions. It’s simply about giving adults a way to keep their family sizes under control though birth control.

bayam on February 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

INC on February 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I have no doubt that Romney was at one time Pro-Life. But at some point in his life, fame and fortune was more important and he made a choice. And then for political expediency, he continued down that same road in MA. Then when it’s again expedient, he is pro-life.
Back & forth, but I’ve read that a “double minded man is unstable in all his ways”

Let’s hope Rubio stays on the course that he has stated. But he is wrong in saying that Romney is a Conservative. Like his back and forth on abortion, so is his being a “Conservative”; it’s expedient.

He is what he is and his actions speak more loudly than his ever changing words.

bluefox on February 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Of course, you can’t sustain a community with such large families and people live in destitution as a result- bayam

That is a lie the baby-murderers toss out from time to time. Just a lie.

The average size of the families of Czech immigrants in this part of Nebraska in the early 1900′s was six children. Some were much more.

My paternal grandmother raised, fed, housed and clothed nine children during the Great Depression alone after my paternal grandfather died in 1932. All were healthy and happy.

Of course, back then Americans considered children a blessing and did not think murdering babies should be done so that they could “fulfill” themselves and drive cool cars.

Ba’al and Muloch would be sooooo proud of our present society where slaughtering innocents is smiled upon by “acquirers of things.”

Horace on February 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM

bayam

But liberals consider the first-degree murder of babies to also be birth control.

As to the people in the Philippines, they are brown-skinned, thus, according to Margaret Sanger, the evil founder of Planned Parenthood and abortion and birth control advocate, brown people, along with blacks, Slavs, disabled and other non-favored groups, are “weeds” in the Garden of Life and need to be killed in the womb or denied life.

Birth control, when used to prevent “inferiors” from reproducing, is as evil as abortion.

Don’t forget, the full title to Darwin’s book, which liberals and child-killers never cite, is “The Origin of Species or The Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life.”

Kill, abort, limit, prevent from being born, slaughter, rip apart in the womb, murder with saline solution, stick scissors in the skull and suck the brains out – all forms of abortion AND birth control.

Horace on February 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

That is a lie the baby-murderers toss out from time to time. Just a lie.

If you believe that birth control = murdering babies, that’s really special. Remote ares of the Philippines aren’t comparable to Europe.

bayam on February 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Random on February 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I can’t find where I said it makes no sense?

I was arguing with the headline. I guess I blew it. :)

“America cannot truly fulfill its destiny without defending unborn life”

vs.

“America cannot fulfill its destiny without defending unborn life”

I was arguing that the second is stronger, and implies the issue is a stumbling block that keeps us from arriving. The first one, the one used, usually means “it would be gravy” if this “extra something” happened. “If only the song was X, this party would be perfect.” — that kind of thing.

I think the second, the stronger alternative, would have been closer to the truth. No destiny is available to us at all if we leave this unattended. I think it might be a deal breaker.

But it was a small thing, Random :) Rubio/TK might have stuck that “truly” in there as poetry, or to be less confrontational. But the connotation can swing pretty wide between the two, so I chirped up.

*shrug*

Axe on February 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

“There can be no peace as long as Kirk lives.”

vs.

“There can be no true peace as long as Kirk lives.”

And now I’m dimed-out. :)

[/Axe]

Axe on February 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Ah, I get it now. Point seen.

So he was being a bit soft/wishy-washy, and your point is America doesn’t come close to meeting even the very first of “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness”.

Hard to disagree with that if one thinks about it accurately.

At the very least, it’s Life for me and not for thee.

Of course, upon its founding in several states it was Liberty for me and not for thee.

Random on February 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Every single policy favored by the Democratic Party will be regarded as completely insane a century from now.

Abortion on demand is one of the most evil. By devaluing life, they promote the state. It’s one more step to totalitarianism, the ultimate goal of every socialist (except the clueless hangers-on).

Adjoran on February 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

From the guy who thinks Romney is conservative.

Sorry pretty-boy, you’re in the con doghouse right now.

KirknBurker on February 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Birth control and abortion are the obvious things here, but what about forcing people to provide in vitro fertilzation, expensive fertilization proceedures, surogate mothers, and extraordinary reproductive choices, are these being mandated too? I think people should know what else is there, how about sex change operations, considered reproductive surgery?

Does anyone know what else is in this insurance, (shudder,) we have to pass it to find out what is in it! Mystery insurance.

Fleuries on February 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM

U people want to limit government and protect freedom but to what end? To force women to be incubators?

U totally recognize the individual when it comes to property rights but somehow when it comes to abortion you’re completely unable to define what an individual is much less debate the issue rationally.

Enough with the religious garbage. Ground your premises THEN offer your argument, Rubio!

beselfish on February 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM

The premise that Rubio is presenting is that taking a human life becuse it would be an inconvenience to the mother carrying it is wrong. Anyone who can’t admit that is lacking empathy or missed out on something in their development. The percentage of pregnancies that occur annually as a result of anything other than the persons own choices is tiny compared to the number of pregnancies overall. I personally am tired of hearing that anyone who is pro-life wants to subjugate women or force them to be incubators for unwanted children. I wish folks would just be honest with themselves and say that abortion is just a means to be able to avoid consequences for irresponsible behavior and stop demogoguing people who believe in the sanctity of life above inconvenience.

pcola71 on February 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

and, as pundits love to say, culture is upstrezm of politics”

Another nonsensical bromide for our lexicon. The way I read history seemed to me property rights and rule of law had more to do with the success of westerns cultures than apple pie and baseball. What was the culture that gave rise to Galileo and isaac Newton medevil times and the Catholic church?

Ideas are the source of all that has been great not culture. The greatest idea on the planet has been America. It is her politics of freedom that made her great. The culture follwed not the other way around.

beselfish on February 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

…taking a human life because it would be inconvenient ….

Kudos for attempting to discuss in terms of fundamentals. Lets discuss. The operative part of the premis is Rubio’s human life reference. The only way the premise is valid is if Rubio is referring to an actual human life. If so, then his premise does not apply to the claim abortion is a crime because the entity growing in mommas belly is at best a potential human life.

beselfish on February 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Horace on February 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Dude. Give it a rest already.

CycloneCDB on February 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM

What I find most peculiar is how the courts defend abortion, but somehow can charge a person of double homicide if he kills a woman who is pregnant.

djaymick on February 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

The Nerve on February 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM

You don’t seem to know much about politics. This is exactly the kind of conviction that speaks to social conservatives–and it’s that segment of the party that opposes Romney most. If he selects Rubio as his v.p. Romney achieves two political ends: 1) he increases his chances to take FL, and 2) he wins points with social conservatives by choosing one of their own, thereby uniting the party. It’s politics 101.

Armin Tamzarian on February 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

He retracted his support for SOPA/PIPA after he gave the bill a close look. Why all the hostility towards one of the brightest lights in the Senate? How is he “openly socialist”? The opposite is true–especially given his Cuban background and his personal history. He has denounced socialism time and again. I smell fear–and it’s coming from the left.

writeblock on February 3, 2012 at 6:42 AM

this just in my email from Jim DeMint’s website:

Marco Rubio, Scott Brown and Kelly Ayotte vote for term limits.

12 years is enough. I am not sure if that is freedom, I might want the freedom to vote for whomever I choose, but so far term limits has been put in place in various locations and not been challenged. But more than that, originally Senators were not a democratic vote but a representative choice, and not handled as we do today.

Here is the thing, Marco Rubio, Kelly, Scott, and tea partiers in the house have not had their full say in their respective chambers because rules there prefer seniority. Scott Brown went to Washington DC on a pledge of stopping Obama Care, and a pledge to institute fiscal reform relating to the general upset over TARP and bailouts. But he had no power in the Republican Senate, and could get no more senior republican to back his ideas, so he had to put them in Barney Franks bill to be true to his word. For me, it is the power system that comes from the seniority rules, not the actual terms (in term limits) themselves that are the real problem.

What we want is that my representative is not less powerful than your representative. How do we get there?

Here from Jim deMint on the vote for term limits.

Fleuries on February 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM

beselfish on February 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM

You’re wrong. Once a woman is pregnant she isn’t an individual anymore is she? There is another who also has rights or perhaps should. Like two property owners. See if you can wrap your brain around that.

But what I really wanted to say was, “damn.” Marco Rubio is a fine looking man. Love that picture. ^wink*

magicbeans on February 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM