Quotes of the day

posted at 10:37 pm on February 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Congressional Republicans are worried Mitt Romney’s propensity for verbal gaffes will hurt him in the fall.

“The former Massachusetts governor has had a series of foot-in-mouth moments that have set off alarm bells for the GOP and brought on gleeful attacks from Democrats…

“‘Mr. Romney, unfortunately and through no fault of his own whatsoever, is almost the ideal caricature for the ‘divide America’ strategy of Barack Obama. It’s going to be important for him to be aware of that,’ [GOP Rep. Trent] Franks said.”

***

“Last Fall, a Fox News poll found that a Trump endorsement might actually hurt a candidate, rather than help; 31 percent of voters said a Trump endorsement would make them less likely to vote for a candidate, while 62 percent said it would make no difference, and just 6 percent said it would make them more likely to vote for a candidate.

“Nevertheless, there was Romney, with his wife, Ann, standing beside Trump in a brief announcement — no questions allowed — at the Trump Hotel in Las Vegas. And just as with the ‘very poor’ remark, Romney found himself the target of derision from all sides. ‘Trump is a tax-hiking, missile-defense-opposing, universal-health-care-advocating, eminent-domain abusing, Dem-donating clown,’ tweeted National Review Online’s Dan Foster. ‘Now that Romney has nailed down the coveted birther/reality-TV-has-been demographic, he truly looks unstoppable,’ tweeted the lefty writer Chris Lehmann.”

***

“Now, any of Trump’s crazy statements, past or future, can be linked to Romney in a 30-second attack ad by showing footage from today’s circus. The DNC could put out an ad, for instance, of Trump’s birther statements spliced together with clips of Romney and Trump. For Democrats, it’s a gift that will keep giving should Romney become the nominee.

“A number of theories have been floated as to why Romney would want to do this: To thwart Newt Gingrich who had indulged Trump, to prevent a third party run, and perhaps to appeal to a certain subset of the Republican Party. Politico reports that, ‘A Romney adviser said Thursday that Trump continues to have a following among very conservative voters…’ I doubt many conservatives who didn’t support Romney up till now will be swayed by this, that Trump would have presented much of a threat had he endorsed Newt Gingrich, or that he would have actually run as a third party candidate. But even so, this announcement doesn’t prevent Trump from running as a third party candidate if he actually wanted to. And seriously, Romney wants to be president and he’s so afraid of what Trump will do that he goes to his Las Vegas hotel to publicly kiss his ring? As Tony Blair once said, ‘Weak. Weak. Weak.’”

***

“Later in her appearance, Hannity asked Coulter who she thought Romney should surround himself with as president. She said that she ‘better have his ear’ and recalled an encounter with Romney.

“‘Did I tell you I met him at a fundraiser?’ Coulter said. ‘I went up to him. I was about to leave. But I said — I just wanted to go up to him and tell him, ‘You owe me and you better be as right-wing a president as I’m telling everybody you’re going to be.””

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Click to watch.

***

Click to listen.

***

Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

P.S. I didn’t know there was a morning crew.

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM

We don’t get paid as much as the night crew but we clean up any leftover messes from the night owls (not THE Night Owl) just before everyone moves on to the Obamateurism of the Day. Coffee, donuts and toast are always served. :)

Fallon on February 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Happy Birthday today! Hope you have a good one. Good morning to all.

silvernana on February 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Fallon on February 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Coffee in hand, no donuts – sigh. I’m usually getting the kids off to be indoctrinated, but popped in to see how last night ended up.
I’m kinda jousting with a certain someone.

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Post by Bill Quiick at Daily Pundit:

Back in 2008, when I was campaigning against both Barack Obama and John McCain, I asked the GOP-bots, “How far left would a GOP nominee have to be for you to refuse to vote for them? If Hillary Clinton, for instance, switched sides and grabbed the Republican nomination, would you vote for her?”

I think the fact that Mitt Romney is now considered the presumptive favorite to be the GOP nominee is all the answer I need. The GOP is no longer interested in conservative principles, only in winning, and it would run Barack Obama himself if that was what it took to do so.

SilverDeth on February 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Fallon on February 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Sorry about the mess.

Bmore on February 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Well, my worst fears were confirmed. Check out this piece from Jonah Goldberg at NRO today:

To sum up his argument: all you Romney doubters shouldn’t worry because “it is better to have a president who owes you” meaning that he’ll be kept on a very short leash. So, just to be clear, we are to elect a leader who will have to be lead by others to keep him on the conservative reservation. The ultimate example of leading from behind!!

KickandSwimMom on February 3, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Goldberg: “If elected, Romney must follow through for conservatives and honor his vows to repeal Obamacare, implement Representative Paul Ryan’s agenda, and stay true to his pro-life commitments.”

Common Sense: “… ummmmmmm… OR — ?!?”

Seriously. “… OR” what, precisely? The Conservative Principle Police will send him to his room, without any supper? An otherwise fawning Jen Rubin will give him the verbal equivalent of a really, really mean look in print, until he finally sees the error of his ways?

I swear, the Holy Pompadour’s paid apologists become more desperate and shrill by the freaking hour.

Kent18 on February 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM

cynccook that has to be rough on your sister-in law and your family as a whole..God bless you and your family..Prayers for you all..:)

Dire Straits on February 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Dire Straits on February 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Hello! What’s new?

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Hi to the morning crew. Just logging on.
Snow storms and birthdays:-) Happy Birthday OC. Don’t mind snow, but blizzards are bad news. You may remember 1978, here in Ohio a semi was buried for 3 days before anyone knew he was even there!!

I had the snow shovel inside and it was a good thing, since I had to shovel from the inside out. Snow covered all cars in the parking lots and up to the second floor of the apt complex!

Those that were having an issue with that “certain someone” may want to look at my comment with some info. It was one of the few about 3-3:30 AM.

We have sunshine today:-)

What a Primary season!!

Later….

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Good morning bluefox, yeah saw your posts did you see the Youtube clip I posted earlier -my impression of that someone (risks bringing her back)

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Thanks Dire, Fallon, Bmore and silvernana. I sure do feel it today…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I thought I would ask if you ever saw my answer to your question last week? I was so late getting back to the thread that you might have missed it and I didn’t want you to think I was being rude and ignoring you.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I sent you an email. Do you want me to send you a couple of pictures of my new puppies?

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Hey, Cindy-I did see your answer no worries. I didn’t think you were rude. I was in and out too – kids to take care of…life.

I see what your saying, but I get disgusted by McCain, the hobbits comment really ticked me off. I want Obama out as much as anybody but I haven’t seen much evidence that they are playing it much differently than 2008.

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Hello! What’s new?

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Nothing much just watching this GOP Primary get nastier and nastier..Where have you been??..Was fixing to put out a APB on you..:)

PS..I see you have a couple of new additions to the Munford family..:)

Dire Straits on February 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

They are definitely not altering the play book, S.O.S. different day. It would be fine if it worked but there is no evidence of it. While I will vote for the nominee, it’s a bit funny to see people here chastise people for their conservative scruples but don’t blink at the Republican party sticking to theirs. I just long for change, somebody to do something positive instead of the endless slight of hand games.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

PS..I see you have a couple of new additions to the Munford family..:)

Dire Straits on February 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

And the answer to your question about where I have been. If I could figure out a way to link pictures I would. We are the proud “parents” of two Basenji mix puppies named Riot & Ruckus.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Good deal..I like the names you chose..:)

Dire Straits on February 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I’d love to see them, and thanks darlin’

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Thanks Dire, Fallon, Bmore and silvernana. I sure do feel it today…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Agreed, As I age I feel all those ache’s from a life fully lived. Enjoy the day! Looks wet up there.

Bmore on February 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

No, haven’t had a chance to view it yet. But will and the links others posted. That person has a pattern and it was evident with INC. This must have came in with the latest registration as I don’t recall seeing it before. I use my “ignore” key most of the time, LOL

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Exactly S.O.S
I was over on another thread and immediately got insulted… it’s nicer here this AM. (takes a deep breath)

I’m going to look up Basenji,we have a have a Tibetan terrier.

Oh and Happy B-day OC.

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

SilverDeth on February 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I think that is what they are doing:-) They detest Conservatives, that’s why they attack the Tea Party and Palin before that.

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Let me know what you think. I remembered seeing it, and I think it suits. I’m working on the ignor thingy. There’s some dooseys on the employment number thread this AM.

I came in on the last registration…can I stay?

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:10 PM

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Your terriers are beautiful, I don’t think they would like the heat in Florida though.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

No it would be tough for him he doesn’t like August. They say we have 2 seasons in MT. Winter and August. He’s a lover dog, totally crashed out on the couch(don’t tell the hubby)snow pad feet up in the air.

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM

In terms of mindless, unswerving fanaticism: you couldn’t slip a dime in between the Obama drone and one of Mittens’ genuinely spooky lot, difference-wise.

Kent18 on February 3, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Your post was the first I read this morning. I must say that’s the most creative rant (good one) that I have seen!! I was LOL!

It’s a keeper too.

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Bmore on February 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I actually bought a cane and had to use it once this winter for church when it was frigid outside. Yes, it is wet and we need the moisture badly, so I am glad that the snow will be the heavy wet stuff and not the powder…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM

If I remember right your LCMS? Me too.

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:34 PM

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yep, I sure am.

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Have a good day today. The suns out, think I’ll take the dog for a walk before work.

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I came in on the last registration…can I stay?

MontanaMmmm on February 3, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Finally. That vidoe is spot on, LOL Those kind really don’t like to be ignored. At least she can’t lie anymore and say she’s not a Romney supporter. I have my doubts she even supports him, but she’s on record so that’s good.

Can you stay? LOL Glad to have you as I’m sure others are as well. I’ve only been here since ’08. Can’t remember who has the most senority at the moment.

Have a good day; I’ll be off and on….

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM

If Ann thinks Romney is going to go out of his way to reward her obnoxious Newt-smearing, Mitt-shilling behavior, then she truly has lost her mind.

P.S.

Why in hell does anyone watch Hannity anymore? His show is insufferably boring and formulaic. He continues his life long habit of arguing with people by reading talking points off a checklist.

Reggie1971 on February 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Reggie1971 on February 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Hannity hasn’t had an original thought in years. He repeats his talking points over and over. I quit watching him the last few years, and never listen to his radio show.

silvernana on February 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

This is for all the Newt supporters:-)

bluefox on February 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I agree, they were not gaffes, they were Freudian slips into the philosophy of one Willard Mitt Romney. I also agree that Romney is a person with no remorse, none at all, he feels justified in everything he has ever done.

astonerii on February 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM

You’re still as sick and contemptible as ever, I see. Why don’t you just come out and admit that you think Romney is literally in league with the devil, probably scheming in the basements of them Mormon temples and whatnot. Stop validating the Left’s idiotic “culture of hate” meme with your nonsense.

CanofSand on February 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM

It is absolutely weird to me how out-of-context statements can be endless trumpeted as gaffes. The question is whether people who do this type of thing are stupid or desperate partisans.

MadJayhawk on February 5, 2012 at 1:45 AM