Obama: Biblical principles prompted me to push for Dodd-Frank and Obamacare

posted at 1:20 pm on February 2, 2012 by Tina Korbe

This morning, at the National Prayer Breakfast, Barack Obama cited Scripture as justification for his policy agenda — from reforming health care to ensuring that financial institutions play by fair rules to taxing the rich. BuzzFeed’s Zeke Miller reports:

The president said he often falls to his knees in prayer, and emphasized the role of his religious values in determining where to lead the country.

“I’d be remiss if I stopped there; if my values were limited to personal moments of prayer or private conversations with pastors or friends. So instead, I must try — imperfectly, but I must try — to make sure those values motivate me as one leader of this great nation.”

Obama maintained that his call for the wealthiest to give up their tax breaks, he’s doing so out of economic necessity, but also in line with biblical teachings.

“And I think to myself, if I’m willing to give something up as somebody who’s been extraordinarily blessed, and give up some of the tax breaks that I enjoy, I actually think that’s going to make economic sense. But for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required,’” Obama said, noting Jewish and Islamic teachings say much the same thing.

It surprises me to encounter the president using this tactic. In the first place, the specific example he cites above is misapplied. When the president establishes a policy direction — and Congress follows it — his decisions don’t just affect him. When he promotes increased taxation of “the rich,” he’s not merely giving up his own tax breaks as he implies — he’s also suggesting the government should be able to force others to pay more in taxes, as well. That’s just obvious — and to say otherwise actually makes the president look more confused than anything. Here, we seem to have an out-of-water Obama who wants very desperately to pander but doesn’t quite know how.

It’s always a bit tricky to apply Scripture to political problems. After all, Jesus made it very clear to his apostles, who expected the Messiah to win a worldly victory against their oppressors, that His kingdom is not of this world. When he directly addresses the issue of taxation, He says simply to give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to give to God what is God’s. Yes, Jesus is acutely concerned with issues of authority and also with issues of wealth and poverty — but it all proceeds from the basic assumptions that authority comes from His Father and that the spiritual, in general, has primacy over the material. That is, Jesus’ injunctions to His followers to give everything they have to the poor proceed from the idea that whatever stands in the way of loving Him has got to go. It’s about His glory, not about the creation of some utopian society. Those who make Jesus’ teachings about the latter and not the former miss the major point His life, death and resurrection make.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I can believe it. Render unto Caesar and all that. We are progressively rendering unto Caesar all our freedoms.

rickv404 on February 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I somehow doubt Jesus was all that concerned about your petty whining about “freedom.”

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

S/b “more Christian than Christ”.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Gee, I thought it was Koranic principles, like be merciful to fellow Muslims but harsh on the filthy infidels.

Chessplayer on February 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I don’t think Obama has even read the bible much less that particular passage, Luke 12:48. It is not speaking about taxes but punishment. It is Christ who is talking about His own coming and how those that know He is coming and yet are not prepared will face the consequences of it.

Didn’t Clinton also misquote scripture all the time and take it out of context to try and show he was doing the right thing?

AzHamOp on February 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

See Drudge, bottom/left column.

Obama’s husband dances with Ellen. They look like two guys.

Michelle will soon be on Amercan Idol.

Both Obamas will soon be on Dancing with the stars.

bifidis will always be dumb.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I must have missed the part of the Bible where it says if you don’t do what the government thinks God requires, the government can step in and take it from you.

taznar on February 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think Scooter got his scripture from 1st Babylonians.

kingsjester on February 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Doesn’t Obama mean the Koran? Like, when he told George Stephenopoulos about “my Muslim faith.”

bw222 on February 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

By October the mortality rate at the Department of Justice will set a record.

The unemployment rate will sink to four percent.

Peace will break out in every war.

The Republicans will be fighting one scandal after another and made to look stupid and foolish by the reports in the media.

The comics will find conservatives the most funny critters in the universe, taking the place blacks used to occupy.

IlikedAUH2O on February 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

There are two things at play here…one is to appeal to the Catholics and other religious leaders whom he just threw under the bus by forcing them to include contraception in their health care plans so he can get back their votes, the other is a typical left ploy of quoting Jesus’ teachings to help our neighbors as a reason to grow the government, federal payroll, and, oh yes, give handouts to people. This turns His teachings on its head. As referenced by Tina, Jesus said

“give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to give to God what is God’s”

which shows he did not intend to have Caesar save our souls for us, it is our job. Government taking, by taxation, from the rich to save the poor does not help save the souls of the rich–their donations to charity, their philanthropy, and their efforts save their souls. The Government’s efforts are external to the mission of saving souls and was not Jesus’ objective–His objective was to save souls by encouraging individuals to care for their neighbors, turn away from earthly riches, and give their all to God.

WhyNot on February 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Tina, does this mean that atheists earning a million dollars a year will be exempt?

I wonder what Allahpundit has to say about this.

parke on February 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Let’s not underestimate the influence of preachers on President Obama. He has learned the art of serving Jesus with other people’s money.

longfeet on February 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

You’re not too bright, are you?

steebo77 on February 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Oh, you mean Sams88 was being cleverly ironic? How devilish of him. Actually, I figured that since it was so flatly banal in its sarcasm, there must be some hidden layer of true wit underneath all that obviousness. I guess I was mistaken … so, yeah, I’m not too smart.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

YAY, a repeat of the fun.

Jesus would have wanted collective bargaining for public unions, says so in Leviticus.

Bishop on February 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I think he meant Mohammad, not Jesus. It is Islam that preaches salvation through forced conversion.

NotCoach on February 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Compared to his competition Obama appears sane, competent and calm.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Of this…

… I have no doubt.

Seven Percent Solution on February 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

NotCoach on February 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

…and no interest on the dough/investments…look around at the financial manipulations.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

The president said he often falls to his knees in prayer when Reggie Love walks into the room.

mapper on February 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

What Scripture did he quote as the reason for his decision(s)?

As for obama being a Christian. All I can say is he hides it well.

multiuseless on February 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

taznar on February 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Hey, enjoy your possessions (while you can). The Devil has no use for them.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

What makes you think you have the slight grasp of what Jesus meant?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

“The author is dead” doesn’t really apply here, you know.

TexasDan on February 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Everyone knows Jesus spoke english how else could he tell America to kill marxist/statists!

tommyhawk on February 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Do you pray to Jesus in Aribic, or Greek, or Hebrew? The KJ English Bible was translated into the Kings English back in 1611…
Just as some parts of the Bible when written by those OT Saints, were translated into Hebrew from the language that’s was spoken by say the Egyptian kings….

Shain1611 on February 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

This will confuse liberals (not that they need any help). I bet it won’t prevent them from exercising hypocrisy though.

BruthaMan on February 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

liberals will just grovel on and say “he doesn’t really mean it…just like with Gay marriage….he just saying that to keep those dumb middle Americans happy”……

Obama could ride into town in a Hummer with polar bear skin seats….rebel flags painted on the doors….shooting an AK-47 at people in the Folsom street fair shouting “kill all you ni#$rs and fa&&ots” and liberals would praise him for his ability to express himself so well.

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

“give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to give to God what is God’s”

WhyNot on February 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

That sums it up. It also reminds me of the quote:

How small, of all that human hearts endure
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure!

– Samuel Johnson

Our joys, sorrows, pain, disappointments, triumphs … not something Obama can provide us. He can get in the way of our dreams though.

Paul-Cincy on February 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

mapper on February 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Return to me

Apologies for muddying such a nice melody.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

More incorrect Bible quotes from the left. Not that I’m surprised…the reverse would surprise me.

I guess this one goes up there with “Render unto Cesar what is Cesar’s and unto God what is God’s.” Some how being commanded to pay the taxes you owe = demanding the government tax other people more money to give it to the poor so you don’t have to out of your own pocket. Oh, wait…that doesn’t make sense…

Because it was written in plain English and it takes 6 grade reading comprehension to understand. also 1 Cor. 2:14-16

Shain1611 on February 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Well, technically it was written into various ancient languages (Hebrew, Greek…) and translated into plain English. I correct you so that the liberal “experts” can’t. The great thing about most translations is that they are easy to understand. And Jesus made sure teaching were repeated throughout his book, which really throws a monkey into liberal misinterpretations.

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

“The author is dead” doesn’t really apply here, you know.

TexasDan on February 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The Author is ALIVE, the Author is the Holy Spirit,, 2 Tim.3:16, 1 Pet. 1:21

Shain1611 on February 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

President Obama: Please provide a photocopy of the checks you have written to the federal government equal to the exact amount of the tax breaks you utilized.

Strange…there’s now a black helicopter over my house and men are rappelling from the si

Bishop on February 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Tripping and falling while getting in a round of golf doesn’t count, Barry. In seeking “spiritual” answers the only question ObaMao asks is “What would Jeremiah Wright do?”

cicerone on February 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Didn’t he throw Reverend Wright under the bus some time ago? We know JugEars didn’t pay any attention to any sermons…so what god is he refering too? He golfs every Sunday.
Is there a golfing god? WTF?
In all of the Liar-in-Chiefs 100 or so transparent golf rounds, has anyone seen him on his knees in a sand trap praying to the golfing god for a birdie, instead of triple bogies all the time?

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Hey, enjoy your possessions (while you can). The Devil has no use for them.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Which is, of course, why you and your Barack Obama are screaming and demanding that we hand over ours so that you can hoard them.

Why won’t your childish Obama reach into his own pocket and spend his own money? Since we know he’s a tax cheat, along with Warren Buffett, John Kerry, and the vast majority of his Cabinet and staff, they won’t pay anyway.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Shain1611 on February 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yes, I should have said, translated into English

Shain1611 on February 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Heh. I breezed through the Book of Job this morning. He should read it, and pick the character.

BTW I have a theory on who Elihu is… :) check this out:

Job 36:1-4

Bear with me a little longer/and I will show you/that there is more to be said/in God’s behalf./I get my knowledge from afar;/I will ascribe justice to my Maker./Be assured that my words are/not false;/one perfect in knowledge is with you.

I love this part of Elihu’s speech because it’s politics and reminds me of the pretzel we’re on today:

Job 34:16-19
If you have understanding,/hear this;/listen to what I say./Can he who hates justice govern?/Will you comdemn the just/and mighty One?/Is he not the One who says to/kings, ‘You are worthless,’/and to nobles, ‘You are wicked,/who shows no partiality to/princes/and does not favor the rich over the poor,/for they are all the work of his hands?/

Elihu was spared from God’s anger-his two friends did have to go sacrifice and Job prayed for them.

ProudPalinFan on February 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

AzHamOp on February 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Yeah, so Republicans always grasp “Scripture” and Dems always misquote it. Can you be any more predictable?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Okay here’s a little Biblical principle for The One. It is common for children to cry ‘but its not fair’ when they don’t get what they want. Sound much like the SOTU?

1 Corinthians 13:11 – When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Time for The One to become a man.

NeoDawg on February 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

This ‘man’ redefines the word shameless.

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

WhyNot on February 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Clearly, Christ did not understand the need for Caesar to arbitrate shovel-ready projects and direct riches toward green technology firms that just happen to be among His largest contributors.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

What a smug, self-righteous comment. A petty act of evil in itself, really. Lovely.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You don’t predict the past. You report it. If you want conservative Christians to stop correcting your understanding of scripture, then start quoting it correctly.

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM

So where was God when Barry said it was okay to abandon an aborted child when IT WAS BORN ALIVE?

Hypocrite!

GarandFan on February 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Time for The One to become a man.

NeoDawg on February 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Love it … more self-styled Pauline self-righteousness. Always good at quoting — never good at doing.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

…said the man who buried his talent in the ground, while Jesus rewarded those who used their talents and doubled their money.

Steve Z on February 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM

You think you’re Christian? What ever gave you that idea?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

The Bible? This stuff is in the Bible?

I really do not believe Obama ever read it for understanding. Maybe to kill time while listening to Rev. Wright expound on what was wrong with Amerika, perhaps.

Now, if there is a Sura or two in the Koran about government taking money from others to prop up the sick, lame and lazy, kill babies and otherwise commit mayhem, I have to believe Obama is well-versed in that.

But, isn’t there some kind of liberal Progressive fanaticism about intermingling of church and state when it comes to official matters?

How come officials on the Left get a pass when using religion as a rationale for government action while any Conservative official who even mentions the words “Thank God” in a public forum gets nailed to the cross, so to speak, by a rabid and salivating liberal MSM?

coldwarrior on February 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

LOL, love it — little screaming bifidis doesn’t want to abide by ALL parts of the Bible and wants to pick and choose at will.

Little Bifidis is nothing but a bigot and a lying hypocrite, just like its Obama.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

You know Barry one of the very few good points you had was that you didn’t buy into, nor did you pander to, the religious weirdos. Now that your backs against the wall you go to that stupid well? one more EPIC FAIL for you Barry.

Your Mamma loves me on February 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

So what does the Bible say about bundlers and Solyndra ?

burrata on February 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Speaking of pretzel logic, note well this juxtaposition:

Today, Obama says that helping the poor is an essential aspect of Christianity – so essential, in fact, that the government is justified in using force to compel people to help the poor who otherwise don’t want to.

Last week, Obama’s HHS declared that helping the poor (if said poor are not Christians) is not a legitimate part of Christianity, and that Catholic charities do not qualify for First Amendment free exercise protection.

The only way to square this one is if revenues from the “Because Jesus Said So Tax Act of 2012″ are distributed only to Christians. Any takers on that one?

sadarj on February 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Yeh, and his support for killing children partially removed from the birth canal is also because of . . . um . . . Jesus? There is a special ring of hell reserved for those who lie about religious issues for selfish personal gain. Scum.

guitarman67 on February 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Regrettably we live in a TMZ culture that hangs on every Kardashin movement. So scripture is, like almost everything else, used as a prop.

r keller on February 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

LibfreeRdie was at least, I think, serious in asking questions and responding in the headlines. Bifidis just seems to be manifesting.

TexasDan on February 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

There is nothing evil in stating the truth. Obama is from the left. He incorrectly quoted the Bible. I am not surprised. I would be surprised if he got it right. I would not expect someone from the left to get it right.

What you heard (read) was “everyone on the left always gets scripture wrong and I always get it right.” Very different from what I wrote. Rather, it was what you wanted to hear because if I had wrote that you could easily rebuke me. Therefore, you misinterpreted what I said.

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Steve Z on February 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Hahaha. You conservatives are so good at correctly quoting “Scripture” (to suit your own greedy ends). Jesus rewards NO ONE. It’s a frickin parable, jackarse. So typical …

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

and what “biblical principles” would those be- that he thinks he’s the messiah because the media treated him like one? i thought he was moses or was that MLK or was that abraham lincoln? if he thinks he’s haile selassie, he’s on the wrong continent.

at least stalin( who was brought up in a monastery) had the strength of his ghoulish and godless convictions and didn’t resort to such ham handed pandering. clearly emperor barry I is scared that conservative christian blacks will leave him in droves- time to drag jesus the socialist out and show up at church a lot. it’s all he can do not being empowered(yet) to round up and execute the kulaks.

however there is truth in positing that the early christian communities were communes, pooling their resources and “distribut[ing] to each as any had need.”( acts 4:34-37), but it was voluntary not forced by the state or an authority. this has the sheen of socialism to manipulative predatory hacks trying to conserve and amass power under the guise of being such great caring humanitarians. with obama it’s social justice and liberation theology speaking to suit his lust to stay enthroned.

what a void this creature is-his own blank slate upon which he and everyone around him embroiders, lies,projects, and obfuscates so shamelessly.

mittens on February 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

…says the Muslim in the whitehouse. He has no shame. Pandering POC!

Doomsday on February 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Even Satan tempted Jesus in the desert by quoting the Scriptures….

A man who is pro-abortion has no business quoting the Scriptures for his own agenda. Shame on Obama, and any pro-abortion progressives/liberals for ever proof-texting the Bible. Start with protecting innocent lives in the womb first.

oddjob on February 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Obama then says. . .and by the way, Mormons really don’t like Black people!

Pragmatic on February 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Yup. And if you believe Jesus is God, then Jesus ordained it that said person would be rewarded.

You’re just too ignorant to understand that. We can see why you’re lashing out — you’re in way over your head when it comes to Scripture, and you’re being humiliated by your lack of knowledge, just like your Obama is.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:22 PM

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Mat 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.

Also see my above post on being surprised if someone from the left gets scripture correct.

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I’m sure this is news to Barney Frank, who actually wrote the Dodd-Frank bill. All Obama did was show up and sign the damn thing.

rockmom on February 2, 2012 at 2:22 PM

There is nothing evil in stating the truth. …

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

On the contrary, there can be plenty of evil in “stating the truth,” as you put it.

What’s the matter with you?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

satan can quote scripture…

MrMoe on February 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

What’s the matter with you?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Nothing. The only person who the truth hurts is the liar.

And since Obama is a liar, a pathological liar, any time the truth is told, it hurts Obama.

Which is, again, why you’re lashing out, bifidis; you are desperate to protect your racist liar. You work for and are paid by a racist liar, which makes you complicit in his racism and his lies.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM

It’s about His glory, not about the creation of some utopian society.

Said the woman who says that since the “ideal” situation for a child is a one man, one woman household that gay adoption should be illegal. Hypocrisy thy name is social conservatives.

libfreeordie on February 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Obama: “God made me force Catholic health charities to offer abortions and birth control.”

paulsur on February 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM

… you’re in way over your head when it comes to Scripture, and you’re being humiliated by your lack of knowledge, just like your Obama is.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:22 PM

… sure, because we all know that Christian conservatives (especially, white, male, angry suburban ones) all know their “Scripture” better than the heathens on the left.

Hold on to that idea now. Jesus wants to talk to you about it.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Sorry but there is a grain of truth in the hypocrisy of the left. I’ll never forget the way that Clinton wasn’t exactly a church-goer until the impeachment hearings were looming. Then, there he was waving his Bible as he crossed Lafayette Square to go to church. There those of us who view the Holy Book as something other than a prop when one gets caught committing sinful behavior with an intern.

Obama’s faith appears to be just as shallow and staged as Clinton’s. Even the most private of Presidents would have a more demonstrable faith if he really was praying and reading Scripture daily. Not one of his speeches references faith, the fact that he averages two church visits a year, nor the way he has lived his life indicates that there is anything genuine behind his empty words at a prayer breakfast.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

The president said he often falls to his knees in prayer,

Sorry, but bending over to tee up a drive while praying you don’t slice doesn’t count.

tommyboy on February 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

You think you’re Christian? What ever gave you that idea?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

The new HotGas arbiter of who is what.

Everyone be sure to stop by his cubicle and say hello.

Bishop on February 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Anybody waiting for the left to go crazy about separation of church and state any time soon?

neuquenguy on February 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

God told Moses: “Hey, be sure teachers unions fight tooth and nail to keep really bad teachers from ever being fired”.

Bishop on February 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM

What’s the matter with you?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Jhn 3:21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”

Jhn 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Jhn 8:44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Jhn 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Jhn 18:37 “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

2Cr 12:6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say.

Gal 4:16 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?

2Th 2:10 and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

There are more, but nowhere is the truth ever presented as evil.

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

libfreeordie on February 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Actually, given that that is perfectly Biblical, all you’re doing is pointing out your stupidity, hypocrisy, and bigotry.

Hence the problem. You scream and whine and try to preach out of the Bible, but you don’t want to follow it. You want to impose rules on others that you won’t follow yourself.

That makes you a bigot, a hypocrite, and a liar.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Pelosi standing at a podium saying how much she loves the word. The word is the word. And the word? “Word.” That’s the word. “Word” is the word.

Word.

Axe on February 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

So scripture is, like almost everything else, used as a prop.

r keller on February 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Fair enough but I would suggest that the problem is when it is parsed by the left into sound bites that seem to fit the left’s socialist agenda. For example, how many times did you hear the smug commies discussing the fact that Jesus would have embraced the occupy movement? Today we had the jug-eared idiot who is forcing faith-based organizations that hold contraception as murder to commit murder in the name for his namesake healthcare plan and still has the audacity to get up and claim to be a Christian.

Sorry I’m not buying the idea that Obama worships anybody or anything but himself.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Unfortunately, Obama and the Democrats will be using this meme again and again and if Romney dares to criticize it they will clobber him re: his Mormon ‘roots’ (i.e., polygamy, anti-black, magic underwear, etc, etc, etc.).

Romney is going to get clobbered in November. . . .face it now!

Pragmatic on February 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

You want to impose rules on others that you won’t follow yourself.

That makes you a bigot, a hypocrite, and a liar.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

That would also make him a politician, like Barack Obama.

Bishop on February 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Hold on to that idea now. Jesus wants to talk to you about it.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Nope. Just that we know it much better than you do.

Telling that you have to lie to protect your racist liar Obama. That’s typical, though.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

This guy makes Baghdad Bob sound like an amatuer.

infidel4life on February 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

*lowers head and prays “God help us all!!*

pambi on February 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Giving away other people’s money is not charity but coveting. Jesus would not have been down with trying to outsource one’s charitable obligations to the government.

tommyboy on February 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Beautiful writing there TK. Concise like AP’s — which is high praise; I think he’s one of the best — but about warmer things.

Axe on February 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

tommyboy on February 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM

… these are the lies Republicans tell themselves so dull out the sure knowledge deep in their hearts.

Repent while you can.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Transcript from the “Joy Behar Show” 4/29/10:

BEHAR: But remember, George Bush is the one who said that god told him to go into Iraq.

DONAHUE: That`s why -

BEHAR: The same as that terrorists say that Alla tells them.

DONAHUE: Right.

BEHAR: And what`s the difference between them and Bush, I`d like to know.

DONAHUE: We — the framers were right. They saw this coming. What we don`t want is a president who talks to god every day and god talks back.

BEHAR: Right.

bernverdnardo1 on February 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Nope. Just that we know it much better than you do.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

And yet … you don’t know it better. That’s what’s really amazing.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM

It is interesting that when God (Jesus) ordered the Jews in the desert to pay a census tax he made a point that both rich and poor would pay the exact same amount – one half sheckle. Further both poor and rich paid the same rate of tithe – 10%. Finally, he commanded that the Jewish judges not treat the poor preferably because of their status nor the rich favorably because of their wealth. Since these are moral propositions they would not be abrogated by the New Covenant.

tommyboy on February 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Repent while you can.
bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

The sure knowledge deep in their hearts? LOL. The bible says, “The human heart is deceptive above all things and desperately wicked. Who can know it?” Looks like you’ve got more study to do.

tommyboy on February 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Obama is a great Bible scholar. He reads it in the original Austrian language.

tom on February 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Is there a golfing god? WTF?

Yes. And she is about 5’4″, 36C, blonde, is wearing shorty-shorts and a tube top, and drives a little white cart with heavenly beverages in it.

Nutstuyu on February 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Repent while you can.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

LOL.

We know that Obama, his administration, and the Obama Party don’t give to charity AND they don’t pay their taxes.

Meanwhile, we know that Republicans like Romney pay MORE tax than they owe and give copiously to charity.

So liars like yourself won’t even live up to your own rules. Just like Obama, you lie and then cheat the government and charities, refusing to pay your “fair share”.

Why do you think the liar Obama cheats on his taxes and won’t give to charity, bifidis? Can you explain why your racist liar does that?

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM

It is so laughable how self-righteous liberals who don’t have the foggiest idea about who Jesus was, what He taught, and what Christianity is all about, think they can tell all us Christians how UN-Christian we are, because we don’t agree with their ignorant interpretation of Scripture. The only thing they know about Scripture is how to cherry pick passages to support the leftist agenda. It’s the leftist agenda that is their Scripture, their Bible. So of course, God’s Word must conform to their beliefs, rather than them basing their beliefs on the whole of Scripture.

infidel4life on February 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Heh, the Bolsheviks CANNOT allow you to disassociate theft from “sharing”. Their whole philosophy would fall apart.

bernverdnardo1 on February 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The First Islamist should stick to his Koran and leave the Bible thumping to those who actually study it.

chickasaw42 on February 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Nothing is wrong with me. The Bible doesn’t support the truth as being evil, ever. Quite the opposite in fact. …

Pattosensei on February 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Ummm … it depends on whose truth you’re talking about. The Bible offers plentiful warnings about false prophets and the differences between words and deeds.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

It is so laughable how self-righteous liberals (strangers) who don’t have the foggiest idea about who Jesus was, what He taught, and what Christianity is all about, think they can tell all us (Pharisees) Christians how UN-(Pharisee-like) Christian we are …

infidel4life on February 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Man, you absolutely drip with pride. Incredible. Deep and dark … and damned.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM

What a bucket of baloney Barry.

steveracer on February 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I probably give away far more than you, but I don’t whine or boast about it.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM