Obama: Biblical principles prompted me to push for Dodd-Frank and Obamacare

posted at 1:20 pm on February 2, 2012 by Tina Korbe

This morning, at the National Prayer Breakfast, Barack Obama cited Scripture as justification for his policy agenda — from reforming health care to ensuring that financial institutions play by fair rules to taxing the rich. BuzzFeed’s Zeke Miller reports:

The president said he often falls to his knees in prayer, and emphasized the role of his religious values in determining where to lead the country.

“I’d be remiss if I stopped there; if my values were limited to personal moments of prayer or private conversations with pastors or friends. So instead, I must try — imperfectly, but I must try — to make sure those values motivate me as one leader of this great nation.”

Obama maintained that his call for the wealthiest to give up their tax breaks, he’s doing so out of economic necessity, but also in line with biblical teachings.

“And I think to myself, if I’m willing to give something up as somebody who’s been extraordinarily blessed, and give up some of the tax breaks that I enjoy, I actually think that’s going to make economic sense. But for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required,’” Obama said, noting Jewish and Islamic teachings say much the same thing.

It surprises me to encounter the president using this tactic. In the first place, the specific example he cites above is misapplied. When the president establishes a policy direction — and Congress follows it — his decisions don’t just affect him. When he promotes increased taxation of “the rich,” he’s not merely giving up his own tax breaks as he implies — he’s also suggesting the government should be able to force others to pay more in taxes, as well. That’s just obvious — and to say otherwise actually makes the president look more confused than anything. Here, we seem to have an out-of-water Obama who wants very desperately to pander but doesn’t quite know how.

It’s always a bit tricky to apply Scripture to political problems. After all, Jesus made it very clear to his apostles, who expected the Messiah to win a worldly victory against their oppressors, that His kingdom is not of this world. When he directly addresses the issue of taxation, He says simply to give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to give to God what is God’s. Yes, Jesus is acutely concerned with issues of authority and also with issues of wealth and poverty — but it all proceeds from the basic assumptions that authority comes from His Father and that the spiritual, in general, has primacy over the material. That is, Jesus’ injunctions to His followers to give everything they have to the poor proceed from the idea that whatever stands in the way of loving Him has got to go. It’s about His glory, not about the creation of some utopian society. Those who make Jesus’ teachings about the latter and not the former miss the major point His life, death and resurrection make.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

By summer he’ll be whiter than his mom and more Christian than Christ himself.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

…even though you’re racist and he’s agnost.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I remember the days when we used to import the headline comments.

TexasDan on February 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The president said he often falls to his knees in prayer

five times a day, right?

GhoulAid on February 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Clearly we need to get this religious zealot out of government. Hasn’t he heard of the 1st Amendment??!!??

I look forward to all our friends on the Left turning against Obama because of his religious zealotry.

/sarc

Greg Q on February 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

How much in taxes does Jeremiah Wright pay?

Aizen on February 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

That explains why the democrats were lined up in congress waving Palm branches at him when he entered the chamber for his State of the Union address last week.

portlandon on February 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

What Bible?

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Heretic. Plain and simple.

CycloneCDB on February 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I wonder who inspired him to vote against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act. I’m guessing not Jesus.

Kataklysmic on February 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

It’s so sad that Obama never heard of the Parable of the Good Samaritan, the person who spent his own money to help someone, rather than demanding that the rich innkeeper put the crime victim up for free.

Greg Q on February 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Is the man clinging to his bible here or what?

Amazing. Just amazing.

RedNewEnglander on February 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

By November Obama will be a top notch Christian and unemployment will be 8%.

Wagthatdog on February 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Yeah, right. It couldn’t have anything to do with his Communist upbringing and Karl Marx could it?
He knows he can’t admit to the truth. He should be impeached anyway.

Artie on February 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required,’

Yes, required by G-D, you SCOAMF, not by the government.

I realize his constituency thinks they are one and the same, but anyone who claims to have gone to as much church as he has should really know the difference.

JohnTant on February 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Spot on Tina

cmsinaz on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

“See, see. He prays on his knees! He claims guidance from scripture. He MUST be a Christian.” /sarc

The Bible also says “you will know them by their fruit”. The devil was brash enough to quote scripture to Christ. Obama knows there were enough idiots to vote him into office. He’s hoping they’re still stupid enough to vote for him again.

AubieJon on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Everyone knows Jesus’ message was that Caesar should take care of everyone until they die and the responsibility of every person is to fight to get their fair share from him.

HitNRun on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Strange that we haven’t heard about Jesus encouraging civil disobedience and taking things that didn’t belong to you.

You’d think they would have written that sort of thing down somewhere.

John Deaux on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

five times a day, right?

GhoulAid on February 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Oh my…

BigWyo on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

What about this Biblical principle? “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2nd Corinthians 9:7

Satan quoted the Bible when tempting Jesus too. But Jesus knew the whole thing.

JohnJ on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

So he’s trying to win over the atheist left with this blather or the Christian right?

Does not compute.

MisterElephant on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

is it time for the repups to present an atheist president? :)

nathor on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

NOW he knows god. When he is about to get hammered. ‘Aint that typical of liberals.

TX-96 on February 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Any time a Barack Obama supporter tries this one, quote 2 Thessalonians 3:10.

Which is the verse that makes clear that, if someone will not work, they should not eat.

Then watch them turn themselves inside out.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Tripping and falling while getting in a round of golf doesn’t count, Barry. In seeking “spiritual” answers the only question ObaMao asks is “What would Jeremiah Wright do?”

cicerone on February 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

+100 portlandon

Perfect

cmsinaz on February 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Obama, go try to sell that gibberish to your Kool-Aid drinking cult because it won’t sell to the rest of the country. It is clear that this guy will stop at nothing.

rplat on February 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

It will be interesting to see a president that Bill Maher told us was really a closet atheist who was going to come out this election as an agnostic suddenly try to turn himself into a version of a Bill Clinton Christian who carries around a Bible to underline how he’s mainstream.

Tacitus on February 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Is the man clinging to his bible here or what?

Amazing. Just amazing.

RedNewEnglander on February 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

No kidding. I wonder when the stories about him being a proud gun owner and hunter will start to show up?

Kataklysmic on February 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

yup, Onama is in full campaign mode….time to try to convince the American people he is really a Chrsitian…after violating the 1st Amendment of the Constitution by issuing his ‘abortion edict’ against the Catholic church! Let me know how that goes for ya, Barak!

easyt65 on February 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I believe he is motivated by scripture….motivated to use it against believers in order to pass policy.
I also believe there is something in the scriptures about the diversity of people both good and bad using scripture for their own purposes…

rebekahhuang on February 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Tina, this is the key to me.
VERY well said!

Obama’s comments reveal that he has no idea what Christianity is about.

Great post!

RightWay79 on February 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

The last refuge of a scoundrel.

HitNRun on February 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

LOL.

Pork-Chop on February 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Obama’s hypocrisy, his cynical blatant manipulation of the US electorate, of those who do genuinely believe in god, of those who are honest in their beliefs – is outrageous and insulting.

There’s more: “I know the version of that Golden Rule is found in every major religion and every set of beliefs — from Hinduism to Islam to Judaism to the writings of Plato,” Obama added.

This shows how, in addition to his contemptuous manipulation of the religious among us, he is also utterly ignorant. Plato doesn’t follow ‘the Golden Rule’. Plato’s society, as outlined in his Republic, is made up of rigid classes, ruled by a totalitarian elite and the ‘Golden Rule’ is most certainly non-existent.

ETAB on February 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Now is the time to go after the gay and lesbian hate groups who scream “theocrat” every time a Republican even mentions the Bible or following Biblical principles in governing.

Force feed them this and watch them choke on it. Nothing could better expose their hatemongering and antireligious bigotry.

northdallasthirty on February 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

He’ll be hand in hand with the Lord come November- He’s gonna even do more church time I’m sure.

FlaMurph on February 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM

So Jesus says it is okay for me to be the slave of government? And, that I came after Government so I should be enslaved to my Government Master?

I realize that Jesus said render to Ceasar that which is Ceasar’s, but last time I checked Ceaser is dead and the Republic is based on my individual sovereignty. That means I am not a slave to government nor am I my fellow citizen’s slave.

Healthcare Reform has made me a slave to Government. And, Jesus is okay with this change? Really???

I have equal protection and rights under the law, but if I fail or go bankrupt the government won’t help me. Yet, the Banks fail and my individual sovereignty is diminished by forced taxation to bail these suckers out.

No Obama you have not heard from God, at least not the God I believe in.

uhangtight on February 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM

OK , so what has Obama Hussein given up ? What has the Mooch given up ?

burrata on February 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

So, we’re ‘sposed to believe that, when he asks his Dear Leader self, WWBHOD, he first asks WWJD?

Ooookaaaayyyyy….

ornery_independent on February 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

This is to dam# hilarious….

liberals claim to be anti-war “war is not the answer”…
…….Obama launches a war without Congressional approval and has not only maintained Bush’s War on Terror policies…he has expanded them.

liberals go on and on about how corrupt Wall St. is…..
Obama is Wall St.’s number one man and has taken more money from the “fat cats” than any other President.

liberals go on and on about how terrible lobbyist are and the evils of K-St.
…….Obama hires lobbyist left and right…they write his Health Care Bill…and K-St. has made records amounts of money under him.

liberals go on and on about “those crazy Christain Conservatives” and how stupid we are for “being led by some unknown being we call God” and how dangerous we are for allowing Religion to influence decision making on Capital Hill….
……….once again Obama is up their talking about how much he communicates with God and makes his decisions based in part on God’s will.

Such hypocrisy and pretzel logic could only be followed and defended by the idiocy that is known as liberalism.

Take it away Dan:

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

This creep becomes more repulsive every day and in every way. He is sickening to look at and to hear. When will this nightmare end?

UnEasyRider on February 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Aww, now he’s Christian …Barry has just seen the light… I guess it might have something to do with the revolt of the catholic bishops…

jimver on February 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Obama doesn’t have the slightest idea what any of Jesus’ teachings were about.

ButterflyDragon on February 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

He seems to really be picking and choosing when it comes to bible principals…

BobScuba on February 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Obama is continuing the “social justice” doctrine of Rev. Wright’s “Black Liberation Theology”. He completely misses the point of the joy of freely giving to others from a glad heart. It’s as if he wants the government to replace the role of religion as the focal point of your spiritual life. Also, money is so far removed from anything spiritual. I think Obama is so far off on this, so wrong, that I have trouble finding a correlate to it in history. There’s the glorification of the “State” in communism and socialism. I can’t go there with Obama. It’s more that he’s making a fundamental error in logic. A really bad argument. I don’t want to say he’s a commie.

Paul-Cincy on February 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Whatever you say, Nero.

John the Libertarian on February 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

He’s just in the Oval Office, clinging to his Bible, and looking out for us little people.

Got it.

ornery_independent on February 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

We need to enforce the constitutional separation of Obama and state.

The Rogue Tomato on February 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Every time I hear a liberal scream in my ear about George Bush and his higher father, they will turn a blind eye/ear to this. I have no problem with Obama believing in Christianity and apply reasons for politics through it. Just shut the hell up you liberal idiots for not calling him on it.

rubberneck on February 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Does not compute.

MisterElephant on February 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

but as a republican atheist i hate him a little more now…

nathor on February 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

What Bible?

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The “Holy Koran” …. Liberal Christianity also,,, they are Kingdom Buliders as they often quote the Sermon on the Mount, which is not directed at any Christain at all, the RCC does they same thing, this is why you have so many liberal Roman Catholics.

Shain1611 on February 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Kataklysmic on February 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

“JESUS would be against unwanted babies being allowed to continue to draw breath!” – What Obama meant to say.

theCork on February 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM

…when Obama does this…
……….does he scream “God Dam# AmeriKKKa”

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The president said he often falls to his knees in prayer…

after he hits a putt, asking for God’s help that the ball might go in the hole.

WordsMatter on February 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

O.K. I can buy this.

So if Biblical principles prompted Obama to push Frank-Dodd and ObamaCare, then when will the ACLU and other civil liberty activists start clamoring for their repeal in the interest of the separation of church and state?

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

jjrakman on February 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I really wonder sometimes if he has a comittee of people scouring the Bible to find any passage they can twist, take out of context and misinterprate into support for Socialism.

Leftists really miss the point. Christ wasn’t preaching about government, but about God, despite their belief that government is god (or as is the case of Giggles, he is his own god).

crazy_legs on February 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Kataklysmic on February 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

“Who would Jesus abort”……..

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

No wonder some call this guy the Jesus of Chicago.

theCork on February 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

OK, and this would mark the disappearance of the last vestige of shame that this administration might have been presumed to have retained.

morganfrost on February 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

America, Greece, the Bible, the Koran, Plato’s Republic, it’s all the same to him. They’re not the same. To him they’re all props, like the Greek columns, to adorn his own liberal ideology.

Paul-Cincy on February 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

…even though you’re racist and he’s agnost.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Ooh, ooh, oooohhh. “Schadendreude” just looooooooves him some calling people “racists,” doesn’t he? He seems soooooo familiar with the word…. Perhaps he’s a “racist” himself, no? Yes, yes…I think so…. :)

jfs756 on February 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

It surprises me to encounter the president using this tactic

Get used to it. The alphabets will have him as Mother Teresa and the baby Jesus rolled into one by the election

kunegetikos on February 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

You can definitely tell President Obama does not actually bother to read his Bible. “To whom much is given, much is required” is only part of the verse (Luke 12:48) “But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”

In context Jesus was answering Peter who asked if Jesus was telling a parable only to his disciples or to everyone. Jesus basically told him, that Peter and the disciples had the duty of passing on what they had learned and were responsible for those who had not been given the opportunity to learn directly from Jesus.

So, first, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with financial wealth!

But, second, if we do decide to try to apply it to the government, then what it means is that those people RECEIVING government assistance should be prepared to GIVE a great deal back to that government!

This is a WARNING to those on the dole, not a DEMAND that those who have earned wealth need to turn more of it over to the government.

joejmz on February 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

For somebody who claims to pray on his knees and read scripture daily, why don’t we hear more about faith from the jug-eared hypocrite?

How does a Christian spend 20 years in a church that preaches racial hatred? There is nothing of God in a congregation that believes in a “Black Values System.”

The Obama has been to church six times since coming to DC. They have essentially been C & E Christians. That is fine for Obama and his spouse but how do you raise your children to be good Christians when the only time they darken a church’s doorstep is when it is a media event?

——

These are not judgemental statements but serious questions because the kind of Christianity I know has nothing to do with attending the occasional worship service, misquoting Scripture, and waving a Bible around in front of the media every now and then.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM

…I wonder how much he quotes Jesus in his letters to Ahmadinejad????

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Bush prayed to God for guidance, and the TV news anchors and pundits rolled their eyes. Obama explains how specific Bible quotes justify his policies … what will the MSM pundits say about that?

Paul-Cincy on February 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

jfs756 on February 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Either you’re very good at sarc, or you’re not. I hope that you are.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Seriously?! This buffoon wouldn’t know a Bible if the Lord himself smacked him upside the head with one.

natasha333 on February 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

He seems to really be picking and choosing when it comes to bible principals…

BobScuba on February 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

One verse os many that liberals have never read..” 2Th 3:10, For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.”

Shain1611 on February 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Expect to hear and see more of this liberation marxist theology crap. The other day a liberal friend posted a pic on fb–”Obama is not a brown skinned, anti-war, socialist, who wants to give away free healthcare. That’s Jesus you’re thinking of.” Disgusting.

txhsmom on February 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The president said he often falls to his knees in prayer

five times a day, right?

GhoulAid on February 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

On a rug?

Facing Mecca?

pilamaye on February 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

What makes you think you have the slight grasp of what Jesus meant?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

joejmz on February 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Thanks for that post.

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

It’s always a bit tricky to apply Scripture to political problems.

That just sorts of hangs there don’t it. It’s tricky! Except of course when any conservative dummy does it. Which is every minute of the day of course.

Ya’ll. I’m like totally a theolophist! Missing the points of these “teachings” is the corner stone of your career so I wouldn’t cast any stones.

tommyhawk on February 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Paul-Cincy on February 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

See!!!
We told all of you right wingers he wasn’t a muslim……..

While ignoring all the insults directed at Conservatives for their faith.

Baxter Greene on February 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Something has to come home to roost on this lying bassturd.

HopeHeFails on February 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

This will confuse liberals (not that they need any help). I bet it won’t prevent them from exercising hypocrisy though.

BruthaMan on February 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

You know, it was that part where Jesus said he wouldn’t have wanted his mother “punished” with a pregnancy out of wedlock.

Oh… wait…

crazy_legs on February 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

And of course it is written that abortions are a panacea to the world sins …

Sams88 on February 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

So the Marxist in the White House mocks God.

bgibbs1000 on February 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Apparently everyone is thinking he’s reading from Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. But, what he really means is that he’s trying to follow the book of Revelation.

LoganSix on February 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s… and then some!

Jim Treacher on February 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Greg Q on February 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM

What’s sadder is how your preach Christianity and worship Mammon.

But your foot shall slide in due time.

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

What makes you think you have the slight grasp of what Jesus meant?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Because it was written in plain English and it takes 6 grade reading comprehension to understand. also 1 Cor. 2:14-16

Shain1611 on February 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

pilamaye on February 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

he’s certainly not kneeling in a pew on sundays now is he?

GhoulAid on February 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

God @!&* Amerikka Barack Obama!!

SouthernGent on February 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I can believe it. Render unto Caesar and all that. We are progressively rendering unto Caesar all our freedoms.

rickv404 on February 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

And of course it is written that abortions are a panacea to the world sins …

Sams88 on February 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

So now the GOP is pro-abortion? Huh?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

portlandon on February 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

And why he rode in on a mule named Debbie.

steebo77 on February 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Yes, the eleventh commandment . . .

Though shall not steal, unless by threat of force or imprisonment.

ReformedDeceptiCon on February 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Obama is Agnostic but by summer will claim to be more Christian than Chris. He’ll need what he designated in a degrading way the “bible-thumpers”.

He’ll also be whiter than his mom, as he needs the hicks from VA.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

So now the GOP is pro-abortion? Huh?

bifidis on February 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

You’re not too bright, are you?

steebo77 on February 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Just Oblasphemy’s MO at work: When all else fails, resort to pretense and sacrilege–and just flat out lie if you have to.

stukinIL4now on February 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

bifidis is not very smart.

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Is this the same Bible I bitterly cling to??

pamiam on February 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Everyone knows Jesus spoke english how else could he tell America to kill marxist/statists!

tommyhawk on February 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Heh, steebo77, good timing! Cheers!

Schadenfreude on February 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Yes, the eleventh commandment . . .

Though shall not steal, unless by threat of force or imprisonment.

ReformedDeceptiCon on February 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I meant . . .

Thou shall not steal, unless by threat of force or imprisonment.

ugh!