Holder to Issa: I’ll hold people accountable … for whistleblowing

posted at 12:45 pm on February 2, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The hearing today on Operation Fast and Furious by the House Oversight Committee produced a curious moment during a confrontation between its chair, Rep. Darrell Issa, and Attorney General Eric Holder, caught by The Right Scoop.  Issa asks when Holder will start holding his team accountable for the mistakes made during Operation Fast and Furious, especially since the wiretap applications involved in the operation appear to show that Assistant AG Lanny Breuer and other high-ranking officials in the DoJ and ATF had knowledge of the gunwalking techniques employed.  Will any action on accountability from Holder come after the Inspector General report on OF&F, Issa asks, “because you haven’t done any so far, as far as we can tell.”

Holder responds that he’s prepared to hold people in his organization accountable right now … for whistleblowing on the wiretap applications:

Er, really?  The ATF sent thousands of high-powered weapons across the border into the hands of the cartel, which resulted in the deaths of hundreds, including a US Border Patrol agent, and Holder is ready to act right now against the people informing Congress of what actually took place in Holder’s organization?  Well, it is accountability of a sort, I suppose, but it’s more useful as a peek into Holder’s priorities.

Speaking of priorities, it looks like whistleblowing trumps bribery, too:

A U.S. Justice Department source has told The Daily Caller that at least two DOJ prosecutors accepted cash bribes from allegedly corrupt finance executives who were indicted under court seal within the past 13 months, but never arrested or prosecuted.

The sitting governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands, his attorney general and an unspecified number of Virgin Islands legislators also accepted bribes, the source said, adding that U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is aware prosecutors and elected officials were bribed and otherwise compromised, but has not held anyone accountable.

The bribed officials, an attorney with knowledge of the investigation told TheDC, remain on the taxpayers’ payroll at the Justice Department without any accountability. The DOJ source said Holder does not want to admit public officials accepted bribes while under his leadership.

That source said that until the summer of 2011, the two compromised prosecutors were part of a team of more than 25 federal prosecutors pursuing a financial crime ring, and at least five other prosecutors tasked to the case were also compromised by the criminal suspects they were investigating, without being bribed.

But I’ll bet Holder will fire the official who leaked this information right freakin’ now, just to show us his commitment to accountability.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I have to say, my jaw dropped. While making threats against the whistle blowers in his department, did Holder just also make a threat against Darrell Issa?

RebeccaH on February 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Kabuki. Nothing more. Nothing less. Move along.

dddave on February 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM

The big fix is on and has been on for quite awhile. We no longer have an operable constitution or a nation of laws. This whole theater is strictly to buy time, in order not to turn the water heat up to quickly so the frog will not jump out. Nothing will come of this,,no jail, no indictments, etc. It will be squashed before the election and it will be business as usual. The business being the dismantling of the USA.

retiredeagle on February 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

RebeccaH on February 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Sounded like it.

sloopy on February 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Can you imagine if this happened during the Bush years? The media would be going NUTS!! Sad, that our country has been driven into the ground by these evil people.

samazf on February 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I sure as hell hope Issa has some bite to go along with his bark. Otherwise, this is nothing more than a big waste of time and a bigger waste of money just to tell us what we already know: that this is the most corrupt Justice Department (and Administration) in the history of this nation.

Moose Drool on February 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Raise your hand if you believe that any formal charges, indictments, resignations, firings or policy changes will come out of this. Now, for those of you who raised your hands repeat after me……….”I have absolutely no clue how Washington DC works”!!!

Sorry if I am being sarcastic and pessimistic of late. I truly believe that this will be drawn out for another year or two with absolutely no change, just like almost every scandal and unconstitutional act perpetrated upon the american people by Big Brother/Sister.

dddave on February 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Typical odumbo appointment…. incompetent, stupid, arrogant and a racist. What I really want to know is who that guy is that always sits behind him that is the spitting image of Richard Nixon?

ultracon on February 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Holder, like his boss, is liberal scum.

Sherman1864 on February 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

dddave on February 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

If there were, who would enforce it? The executive branch has demonstrated that it is perfectly capable of not enforcing it’s own compliance with the law before.

Voyager on February 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I fantasize that an overwhelming majority of Americans will vote against Obama come November, but will never admit it.

I want to sweep that dirtbag out of office and his minions – like Holder – out with him.

disa on February 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM

disa on February 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Actually, we should be herding them into cells, as opposed to sweeping them out.

Viper1 on February 3, 2012 at 6:57 AM