Zoo wants chimpanzee commercials pulled from the Super Bowl

posted at 4:15 pm on February 1, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Eh, what would the Super Bowl be without a little ad controversy? Allah has zeroed in on the Matthew-Broderick-channels-Ferris-Bueller CRV commercial, but that’s not the only attention-grabbing advertisement slated for coveted Super Bowl space. A commercial that features suit-and-tie-wearing chimpanzees has irked an assistant director of Chicago’s Lincoln Park Zoo. He wants that ad pulled:

Steven Ross, assistant director of the zoo’s Fisher Center for the Study and Conservation of Apes, says CareerBuilder.com’s commercial showing chimps outsmarting a human co-worker actually poses a risk to chimpanzees because people lose sight of the fact they’re an endangered species and become less likely to help save them.

Ross has made this pitch every year the company featured chimps in commercials but now he’s hoping a recent Duke University study supporting his argument might help turn public opinion against the commercials.

The Chicago-based company only says the chimps in the commercial were treated humanely. The company also says the ads are effective.

The company in question is CareerBuilder.com. You know these suit-clad chimps, as Career Builder has featured them in Super Bowl commercials before. One such ad — which ran in 2007 — prompted Zag Studios to upload the clip to YouTube with the comment, “If it wasn’t a classic rule of advertising before, it should be now: You can’t go wrong with monkeys in business attire.”

If anything, I should think Ross and the Lincoln Park Zoo would be grateful for the publicity this generates. Truth be told, I didn’t  know chimpanzees are an endangered species until I read the little article I link above. Admittedly, it would have made me feel for the monkeys more if the zoo folks had been thanking Career Builder for their clever clips that remind people chimpanzees exist in the first place — but I’m sure the Lincoln Park Zoo PR department knows what it’s doing.

At any rate, I’ll be talking this fun topic and more on “The Willis Report” on Fox Business News today around 5:25 p.m. ET. Hope you can watch!

Zoo Wants Chimp Commercials Pulled from Super Bowl: MyFoxDC.com

Comments

wHY? dOES THE rEPUBLICAN PARTY DEMAND EQUAL TIME?

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Nonsense, I saved a Chimpanzee just last week.

phxconservative on February 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Didn’t some automaker have to pull a chimp from its ad a few years back? They changed it into an “invisible chimp” and still ran the ad.

John the Libertarian on February 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like every other freakin’ animal is classified as “endangered?”

Meric1837 on February 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Just another stupid bleeding heart liberal tree-hugging veganazi who doesn’t realize we must destroy them now before they take over the planet.

catmman on February 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Now the zoos are whining?

de rigueur on February 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Planet of the APES!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

But I saw a documentry this summer that they want to take over the planet.

Oil Can on February 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Interesting.

Combining this with the article about endangered animals HA posted earlier this week and think we’ve got the beginnings of a chimp hunt!

Lorien’s panda steaks will have nothing on some chimp steaks.

JadeNYU on February 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

but I’m sure the Lincoln Park Zoo PR department knows what it’s doing.

They’re nuts.

“Honey look!! There’s a chimp in a business suit on TV again. Damn!! Those things must be plentiful in the wild. Go get that check I wrote to the “Save the Chimp Fund” and tear it up.”

BacaDog on February 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

…a recent Duke University study supporting his argument

:facepalm:

jazzmo on February 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Some people think that the stupider their demands, the higher their moral ground. No really, there are people like that. Really.

Akzed on February 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Sounds like the Fisher Center for the Study and Conservation of Apes has an assistant director who has too much time on his hands.

Sultanofsham on February 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Mr. Ross should be thankful his brother is working.

SickofLibs on February 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

…a recent Duke University study supporting his argument

:facepalm:

jazzmo on February 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

And you can be darn skippy that it was tax funded.

Sultanofsham on February 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Too bad bleeding heart liberal tree-hugging veganazi ‘animal liberation activists’ aren’t an endangered species.

catmman on February 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

So Riding a tricycle while smoking a cigar and wearing a festive diaper is probably not going to fly. Too bad because you can sell me just about anything with a cigar smoking, tricycle riding chimp.

V7_Sport on February 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Meric1837 on February 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

You’re obviously a racist. Or a chimpist…..

Code words. And monkeywhistles.

BacaDog on February 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Great argument. “Chimps are an endangered species, so they shouldn’t be used in a commercial and enriching corporations, but should instead be locked up in cages in city zoos where they can enrich my salary.”

I say: Let the chimps decide where they’d rather work: In a zoo where they’re cold and naked and stared at by strangers every day, or on a film set where they’re kept warm and given a tailored business suit to wear.

I think the outcome of simian self-determination would be pretty decisive.

Socratease on February 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Ross has made this pitch every year the company featured chimps in commercials

I’m seeing a pattern of whinery here.

squint on February 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

and become less likely to help save them

Why would we want to save them?

Damned dirty apes.

Cook ‘em and feed them to the polar bears. At least we can wear the polar bears.

Nonsense, I saved a Chimpanzee just last week.

phxconservative on February 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

You, sir, are a thing of beauty, and I don’t care who knows it. :) A cigar, a spot of tea, a well-placed recommendation or an alibi — just ask.

Axe on February 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Screw the chimps. The orangutans are the real brains of the operation.
/doctor zaius

andycanuck on February 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Monkeys with suits?

Where to go with that comment…..mmmmm……?

PappyD61 on February 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

It is widely accepted in the scientific community (Google it) that 99.9% of the species that ever existed on Earth are extinct, and have been for eons… occurring long before man. Or PETA, AGW, Greenpeace, Al Gore, ManBearPig, etc.

VastRightWingConspirator on February 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Truth be told, I didn’t know chimpanzees are an endangered species until I read the little article I link above.

Really? How is this possible? It’s your job to know basic facts about the world. THis is more on the jo ground breaking journamalism from the me too link brigade. Interestingly, you just found out they are nearing extinction, something most 4th graders know, but you are still qualified to ridicule people who spend their entire career studying them.

Who doesn’t know Chimps exist? Are you writing this crap on an escalator on your phone in a mall?Also, they’re apes not monkeys. This just makes you sound, impossible I know, more ignorant.

tommyhawk on February 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

andycanuck on February 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Orangs are also a much gentler and overall pleasant ape.

JadeNYU on February 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Hollywoody and the dems working hand in hand again.

rjulio on February 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Three words come to mind whenever gazing upon a leftist moron out to kill somebody else’s fun/entertainment/good time/whatever.

Right turn, Clyde.

MNHawk on February 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The champanzees probably could sing the National Anthem better than most everyone I have seen doing so far at football games and they don’t want to embarrass anyone? Oh dear, is that racists?
L

letget on February 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

As long as the chimps aren’t going apeshi…er…crazy and biting off someone’s feet or face, I’m cool with them in commercials.

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Any chance Stevie got a little grant money out of Career Builders to spout off, thereby creating some controversy and a little buzz for their commercial?

chickasaw42 on February 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

careerbuilder ought to fire back at the zoo and say that confinement is a violation of the chimp’s human rights and that since this chimp has lost the ability to hunt, its best option is with an acting career. Doing jobs that humans won’t do.

pedestrian on February 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM

What about the Truck Monkey commmercials? Those were some of the funniest

Ditkaca on February 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

This just makes you sound, impossible I know, more ignorant.

tommyhawk on February 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I’m sensing a pattern of douchbaggery here.

squint on February 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM

V7_Sport on February 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Would the diaper have to be festive, would a plain diaper work?

TigerPaw on February 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM

They must agree with face mutilating chimps.

chickie on February 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Looking at that tapestry in the background…I could say from the picture, that it looks like John Kerry or John McCain are hard at work! What’s sad…is that I can’t go anywhere close to the Oval Office with that comment!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

L

letget on February 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

But can the sing Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together”?

Ditkaca on February 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I knew my degree was worthless because I also had no idea that chimps were endangered.

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM

It is a life changing event when one bathes with a monkey. It is a life changing event when ones face is torn off by a monkey. Monkeys are creatures of wonder indeed. I am still waiting for my monkey butler.

BL@KBIRD on February 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM

The Obama administration has saved, or created, millions of chimpanzees!

therealfranklin on February 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM

pedestrian on February 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Is the chimp an ILLEGAL?
Ohoh!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM

That Chimp is too well dressed to be considered endangered. He’s obviously making more than I do.

How come nobody’s yelling about exploiting that baby in the E*TRADE commercials?

flataffect on February 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM

tommyhawk on February 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I’ve seen monkey sh!% fights at the zoo more organized than your comment.

Excuse me – ape sh!% fights.

catmman on February 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Tina Korbe on Feb 1, 2012 4:15 PM

IMO the commercial does the exact opposite of what Ross says… the humour is clever and tasteful and it endears people to the chimps… which makes people more likely to help save them

Hope you can watch!

Give me the shout out…

apocalypse on February 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM

flataffect on February 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Puh. A human child? Get your priorities straight.

Axe on February 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM

The big ears on that chimp are making me think bad, bad racist thoughts.

pedestrian on February 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Chimps are not endangered,they are turning into humans.Just ask the Darwinists.

tommy-t on February 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

So, that is not 0bama’s picture. Its Van Jones? Valerie Jarret? Help me out.

Mirimichi on February 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Ditkaca on February 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM
But can the sing Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together”?

Can’t say I ever heard al sing, is he good?
L

letget on February 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Now the zoos are whining?

de rigueur on February 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

It’s not really new…wasn’t it just a few years ago when one of the big US zoos (Bronx Zoo maybe?) asked people to refrain from calling it a “zoo”, and instead say “Zoological Park”…

…commercial showing chimps outsmarting a human co-worker actually poses a risk to chimpanzees because people lose sight of the fact they’re an endangered species and become less likely to help save them.

*facepalm*

How many people are out there watching football on superbowl Sunday who would see a funny chimp ad and then at some point think “Gee, I’d love to help save these chimps, but seeing one in a suit really makes me feel like not saving (read: sending money) these animals.”

JetBoy on February 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Racist zoo director, man I could get myself in some real trouble, so i’ll just sit back and read the comments.

angrymike on February 1, 2012 at 5:12 PM

L

letget on February 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Certainly better than Steven Tyler.

NapaConservative on February 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I didn’t know they were endangered, either.

John the Libertarian on February 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM

…and one more thing, let’s find out how many times those chimps voted in the ’08 election.

NapaConservative on February 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Someone tell Ross to go get a life!

GarandFan on February 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Don’t knock the Lincoln Park Zoo official. Up until their announcement I actually thought chimpanzees drove cars and worked in office complexes. Thank goodness they saved me from a my perpetual fear of chimpanzees driving cars!

(/huge sarcasm)

I don’t know when this commercial was made but it would have been hilarious if Charlton Heston could have played the sad employee.

Too bad fourth graders have more knowledge about endangered animals than math, history or civics. A lot of fourth graders may know about endangered chimpanzees but couldn’t count them on TV.

If Tina didn’t mention it, I would. Anybody who has a career that is on a fourth grade intelligence level (your words) deserves to be ridiculed.

Kingfisher on February 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Something tells me there is a racist undercurrent somewhere, somehow…we will find it, or make it up…

right2bright on February 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM

DVR’d it to watch later. Ain’t about to miss Tina talking monkey business.

TXUS on February 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Truth be told, I didn’t know chimpanzees are an endangered species

It’s too bad there aren’t more chimpanzees in the world and instead, dumba** blabbering liberals (like some zoo officials) were the endangered species.

Kingfisher on February 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Geez, I worked with Chimps, on a job once, Ollie was one of the Chimps names. It was Ollies last day of work. He was getting ready to start his retirement the next day. Lots of hi-jinks when you work with Chimps. Ollie had two handler’s Dave and Kdarsh, Chimps are very strong, and not often, but can sometimes become aggressive. I remember two things of that day. After we finished the project the handlers asked if it would be okay to take Ollie outside to relieve himself. I said , help yourself no problem. Next thing I know one of the handlers comes running back inside all panicked looking, yelling, Call the fire dept Ollie got off his lead. I’m starting to freak at hearing that and run outside to see whats going on. Sure enough Ollie is swinging around way up high in the tops of the trees, running around up there and such. The other handler is standing with a slightly concerned look on his face kinda perplexed and asking did you call the fire dept. to me? At this point I turn to run back in and make the call when both the handlers burst out in laughter. Stop don’t bother we’re just joking. “Ollie come down here.” Immediately Ollie starts climbing down and jumps up in Kdarsh’s arms. Now they are all three laughing at me. This is Chimp humor apparently. Second thing I will never forget from that day, Dave and Kdarsh asked me if I would like to have my photo made holding Ollie. I thought sure, why not? One warning from Kdarsh don’t look Ollie straight in the eye. They don’t like eye contact, its an alpha thing. No problem I figure, I really didn’t think it would be that difficult. I figured wrong, I’m holding this Chimp and the whole time the chimp is staring at me right in the eyes. We all know that eye contact feeling and normally its not an issue. I’m telling you it was really hard not to look that Chimp in the eyes. I managed and Ollie hopped down out of my arms without incident. I share this story with you folks here so that if you are ever in a similar situation maybe it will be of help. You know, so you will have an idea on what to look out for. One last thing. It took two or three days to get the smell of that Chimp off. Well thats my only Chimp story hope it was as enjoyable for you as it was for me. Let the Chimps work for Gods sake. Trust me they kinda dig it.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

…but now he’s hoping a recent Duke University study supporting his argument…

Maybe Duke had chimpanzees perform this study.

I must be poisoning my six-year-old’s mind because I’ve been reading “Curious George” to him for years. I guess he’ll need therapy now.

Kingfisher on February 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I heard there are 2 more chimps doing Super Bowl ads… our articulate Boston Mayor and that stalwart Republican mayor of NYC (do I really need a /s?) are doing an ad on the need for gun control. Reported on Boston radio on the ride home. Sheesh!

unaffiliated on February 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

er … Ghost Hunters is on.

Axe on February 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

We really could have had a lot of fun with this just a few years back, WITHOUT any racial undertone. In saying this, look how far we’ve came! Sad!

angrymike on February 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM

JetBoy on February 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Those are my exact sentiments when I hear about poor deprived fabulous boyz who want to marry each other. I see them in suits I can’t afford, with jobs that pay better than most, and I just lose all desire to save them.

platypus on February 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Juan Williams thinks this is racist.

slickwillie2001 on February 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I wonder if Mr. Ross was paid by career bulider to say this and drum up a little controversy and attention for the ads.

tommyboy on February 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM

zzzzz

The Notorious G.O.P on February 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Dressing liberals monkeys up in business suits is always funny….it’s such a contradiction (a paradox if you will) that always gets laughs.

Tim_CA on February 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I am sure the chimps appreciate being dressed up just as much as my dog does for Halloween……Plus people might lose their faces or their genitals. Chimps are dangerous animals.

annyinboulder on February 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Ever wonder why when they can use CGI to give us realistic looking dinosaurs on “Terr Nova” why anybody needs to use real animals for ads anymore? Why can’t they have a CGI chimp?

radjah shelduck on February 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Why can’t they have a CGI chimp?

radjah shelduck on February 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

You could CGI the Chimp. Its more costly and less fun. Unless you have ever worked with them it may not make sense.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM

That Ross dude must have loved trunk monkeys.
(High five) “Great! Back in the trunk.”

Marcola on February 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM

radjah shelduck on February 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I can’t see why we can’t have CGI people in entertainment. Maybe they’d be able to keep their pixillated little political views to themselves.

trigon on February 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

LOL

Axe on February 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Axe on February 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Axe
Glad someone was able to enjoy. I’m not much on writing, so it probably reads a little bumpy, hopefully folks will get the gist.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Chimps an endangered species?

Cigar and roller skate manufacturers hardest hit.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Marcola on February 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Its no wonder people confuse Monkeys with Chimps.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Somebody need to stuff a banana up Ross’tailpipe . . .”

BigAlSouth on February 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Cigar and roller skate manufacturers hardest hit.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM

lmao.

Tim_CA on February 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I’m surprised someone hasn’t already accused CareerBuilder.com of making a thinly-disguised racist attack on Obama.

Socratease on February 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Bring back Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp!

single stack on February 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I have it on the authority of Juan Williams that the ads are racist code demeaning obama.

dunce on February 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Which one of these creatures would you call “endangered”?

mountain gorilla – less than 800
chimpanzee – about 200,000

c4 on February 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM

maybe we can ask a 4th grader?

c4 on February 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Chimps are not endangered,they are turning into humans.Just ask the Darwinists.

No, no scientist says that, sheesh.

I know that chimps are endangered but still have trouble trying to connect the dots that lead to ads with chimps being bad for them. Makes no sense at all.

Bob's Kid on February 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

V7_Sport on February 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Good Lord, I think I just about peed my pants laughing so hard!
(Thanks, I really needed that after such a rough day today!)

dominigan on February 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM

So a chimp walks into a bar… (NSFW)

dont taze me bro on February 1, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Actually, it was the Chicago chapter of the NAACP in yet another example of trying to stomp out racism, complaining people might confuse the chimps with black thugs who behave like chimps.

LizardLips on February 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I did not know they were chimps!
I just thought they were my co-workers!

must.go.to.career.builder.com

askwhatif on February 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I saw the title of this article and thought at first it said, “zer0 wants chimpanzee commercials pulled from the Super Bowl.”

MisterElephant on February 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Hey Zoo… go play with yourself, monkeys will show you how.

Wade on February 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I did not know they were chimps!
I just thought they were my co-workers!

must.go.to.career.builder.com

askwhatif on February 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Actually they are directors of the Chicago Lincoln Park Zoo.

Wade on February 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

LizardLips on February 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

and presidents

Wade on February 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Well in that case maybe we should pull all commercials with animals – no more Bud Clydesdales, Dalmatians, frogs, lizards, or weasels. I guess no more Victoria’s Secret FOXES either…
While we’re at it, don’t the Etrade commercials violate child labor laws? ///s

dentarthurdent on February 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM