Report: Trump to endorse Gingrich tomorrow in Nevada

posted at 7:12 pm on February 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

Are you ready for a “major announcement”? Team Trump won’t say what it is except that it’s related to the race, but KLAS in Vegas says he’s going all in for Newt.

An advisor to Donald Trump says he will make a major announcement in Las Vegas tomorrow. Sources tell the 8 News NOW I-Team Trump will endorse Newt Gingrich…

Gingrich enters the Nevada Caucus after getting beat by Mitt Romney in Florida. He has spent the day in campaigning in Reno.

Supposedly he was being lobbied to endorse Romney, but why would he do that? Gingrich is the one who’s playing the “angry populist” role that Trump briefly rode to frontrunner status last year. Gingrich also committed to that reality-show debate that Trump was going to host for Newsmax; Romney’s the one who passed on it, leading to its eventual cancellation. And of course, if Trump is still serious about possibly running as an independent — which I doubt, but he’s pretending to be — then he can’t endorse the likely nominee. If he did and Romney held on to win, what would be the pretext by which Trump decides to run himself? By backing Newt, he preserves his “outsider” shtick while positioning himself to fill the vacuum if/when Gingrich finally calls it quits.

Can’t wait to hear Newt explain how excited he is to have the endorsement of a guy who ostentatiously left the party last month. In honor of the occasion, via the Daily Caller, here’s the hottest new trend in Birtherism: Questioning whether Miami-born Marco Rubio is a U.S. citizen. Something for the Donald to take up as a third-party candidate if Rubio lands on the GOP ticket, perhaps.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Makes me wonder what The Newt promised The Donald. Both are pompous gasbags who are legends in their own minds.

Philly on February 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

You’re right and that was a big deal too. I think this is a game changer if true. It’s very interesting and I can’t wait to see if it’s true.
It seems Palin was right when she said this election season was going to be unconventional, LOL

bluefox on February 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

You guys are embarrassing. You are actually getting excited over the fact that Donald Trump (!) is going to make a big, flashy endorsement of your losing candidate, Newt Gingrich?

This is a great gift to Mitt.

bluegill on February 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Is this another “adultery is cool” endorsement?

Philly on February 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Newt, you need to hold the Trump card against Romney. I am going to give it to you.

technopeasant on February 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’m curious to see how much Trump may actually go out and campaign with/for Gingrich. Two rablerousers working in tandem? This could get to be fun again. I like them both. Sue me.

lynncgb on February 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

spelling error…I know.

lynncgb on February 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

So Mitt is going to lose tomorrow with Trumps endorsement AND lose FL delegates to Newt? It will not be a good news week for Mitt, that’s for sure. :-(

Punchenko on February 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Ha! Hope the money starts rolling in for Newt.

Amjean on February 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

This is a great gift to Mitt.

bluegill on February 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I respect Trump’s endorsement more than John McCain’s or Bob Dole’s.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

lynncgb on February 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I’m wondering how much dirt Trump found out about Ogabe during the birth certificate hunt last year.

Will Trump share his findings with Newt?

Will Newt share the info with the voters?

Hmmm…

GrannyDee on February 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

What do these two men, Gingrich and Trump, have in common? In my view, they’re both guilty of multiple bankruptcies, Gingrich in his failures as a husband and a leader, Trump in his business dealings. They’re both cynically trying to con the GOP electorate and, if they should succeed in that, fully prepared to do the same to the rest of the nation, too, in order to fulfill their personal ambitions. They’ve both got a raging case of egomania. They’re both narcissists. And, finally, they’re both desperate to somehow remain relevant. Look at the photo of them. If Trump endorses Gingrich, they’re perfectly paired.

thatsafactjack on February 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You must have been born after the 90′s, huh?

The Donald is cheap as Hell so I wouldn’t count on a lot of bread, just the marquis name.

matthew8787 on February 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

True, but he might convince some of his pals to donate.

chewmeister on February 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

This is a great gift to Mitt.

bluegill on February 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

:-) a clown desperate for publicity for his show endorsing a desperate loser politician, can’t see a more fitting couple :-)…

jimver on February 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Hang in there Newt…!

Seven Percent Solution on February 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Cigars, pipes, crowns and cakes…as I said :)

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

This endorsement from Trump could be huge if he also send a nice fat check to Gingrich’s SuperPAC.

Cheetah1956 on February 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

GrannyDee on February 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I want to see Trump go after the college transcripts this time.

lynncgb on February 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

matthew8787 on February 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

don’t you remember when he took the oracle of alaska to a pizza place in NY? :-)…at least I heard that he paid for the whole thing :-)…

jimver on February 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Report: Trump to endorse Gingrich tomorrow in Nevada

THIS IS HUGE. Go Newt.

SparkPlug on February 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I want to see Trump go after the college transcripts this time.

lynncgb on February 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

hahaha :-) he will be as successful as he was with his birther strategy that sank him and his credibility for decades to come :)…

jimver on February 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Donald Trump hates Mormons.

/Mitunia

SparkPlug on February 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Donald Trump hates Mormons.

/Mitunia

SparkPlug on February 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I see what you did there. Ha!

GrannyDee on February 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Actually makes sense. Newt agreed to the Trump-moderated debate when Romney coudln’t be bothered. And, Trump has been on the end of a media feeding frenzy himself and sees himself as a populist. He may just prefer the more conservative candidate with big ideas, in other words, someone he can identify with . . . a risk taker.

pacificisland on February 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

A Trump endorsement is nothing to get angry about.

Stray Cat on February 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Philly on February 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I think Newt negotiated a wife swap. The Donald is craving Callista’s hair!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Of course Trump will endorse the open marriage candidate…skanks of a feather stick together.

JA on February 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Not a fan of Trump, which I’ve said here numerous times while everyone else was hoping he’d run. Fox has been courting him long enough so if he endorses anyone, it will probably be Romney – or Santorum, in order to keep Newt’s #s down.

But it could be that Trump will announce that the LDS has located Obama’s long form birth certificate. /

Connie on February 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Trump can say You’re Fired, but Romney can’t. Gingrich can yak on about poor kids needind a work ethic, but the conservative media hacked up Romney’s words on the poor, eliminating the first sentence.

I prefer the gentleman, rather than the big mouths. Maybe Trump can scare all Romney’s supporters up for the caucus on Saturday.

Fleuries on February 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Trump to endorse Gingrich tomorrow in Nevada

Loose-cannon womanizers who’ll do anything for money gotta stick together.

itsnotaboutme on February 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I need a new party….or would you Tea party people just form your own group….

rubberneck on February 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Good, anything will help at this stage after the unrelenting attack ads, 27 mil. dollars worth only in Fl.
Romney paid for his endorsments. He is buying this nomination.

evergreenland on February 1, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I respect Trump’s endorsement more than John McCain’s or Bob Dole’s.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

You value the word of a chickenhawk, Birther who regularly sends American jobs to China over two men who spent their careers in service to the nation. I bet the only reason you respect Trump is his Birtherism.

Tea Party already purged you losers. Nobody wants you, except Trump.

Capitalist Hog on February 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I’m shocked the Donald would endorse this early. Now what will he talk about on Fox?

GeorgieGirl9 on February 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

GeorgieGirl9 on February 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

himself and his awesomeness :)…doesn’t he always :-)…

jimver on February 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Loose-cannon womanizers who’ll do anything for money gotta stick together.

itsnotaboutme on February 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

the comparison stops there :-)….Da Donald paid through his nose for his womanizing ways though :-), Ivanka was the smarter azz of the two, obviously :-)…not that Da Donald would power an LED bulb with his brightness, but, hey, he’s a ‘businessman’ :-)

jimver on February 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Sheldon Adelson, Steve Wynn, Donald Trump…for Newt, against the R/L establishment.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM

oh my god, no. wheres horace……

t8stlikchkn on February 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Mittbots had better pray hard that he doesn’t.

ddrintn on February 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

He can’t get any of his former colleagues to support him so it should not surprise anyone that he managed to get some endorsements from outside the GOP.

lexhamfox on February 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Trump is a great capitalist. The Celebrity Apprentices’ task this season will be to run fundraisers for Newt. They’ll bring in huge amounts of money and the Donald won’t have to spend his own dough.

saspepper on February 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Newt keeps pushing the “People Power” message, so maybe these two are in on a third-party scheme. Trump did “threaten” to mount a third-party campaign, which he has not disavowed yet.

So Mitt, Rick and Ron can rail about how someone who threatened to wreck the GOP bid for president by a third-party run now wants to curry some type of favor. The Donald isn’t in it for naught, so something is up.

I can’t see either of them agreeing to be the other’s VP.

Philly on February 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM

SparkPlug on February 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

You’re bad. She’ll sue you.

Hey, how come I can still post? :)

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I’m thinking he wants to be the one to build the lunar honeymoon suites.

Flange on February 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Great news! Go Newt!

tinkerthinker on February 1, 2012 at 10:06 PM

This does nothing to help Newts terrible 21 percent score with Women last night.

Mormontheman on February 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Mormontheman on February 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Well, ya know, that was last night.

tinkerthinker on February 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I must confess , I don’t know much about Nevada. Seems to me Trumps endorsement could be very helpful to Newt out there.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I wonder if any other mitidiots will go stupid tonight and get banned, let’s hope so!
Night all.

angrymike on February 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM

He sure is popular with the casino crowd. Makes sense I guess.

Ronnie on February 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM

rubberneck on February 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Sorry, the plan is to take control of the Republican party away from the establishment side of the party. You can always try the Democrat or Libertarian party’s though.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I wonder if any mitidiots will get out of hand tonight and get banned, let’s hope so!
Night all.

angrymike on February 1, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I’m thinking he wants to be the one to build the lunar honeymoon suites.

Flange on February 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Okay, I’m a Newt supporter but that’s funny.

saspepper on February 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Night all.

angrymike on February 1, 2012 at 10:15 PM

One can only hope. I bet it’ll be a long time before another Open Registration. Have a good night!

bluefox on February 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Sometimes I think a lot of these newbies are in the Democrat Party, LOL

bluefox on February 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Gingrich over Romney any day of the week, but….

You have to admit …

that is one scary-looking picture!

tom on February 1, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Slightly O/T:

Did anyone see Lindsay Graham on Greta tonight? He dropped some bombshell info. He said that the coup to remove Newt was hatched in his office in the 1990s. He also said that in looking back they were too hard on him in that Newt was making big changes in government and having to work with Clinton to do it and that is why some of the things he said and did were erratic. He also said that Newt really accomplished historic legislation, that when he was “on” he was, and still is, the best at articulating conservatism and that if we want change in Washington Newt would be the one who could do it. He then said he would have no problem with Newt winning the presidency. WOW.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM

so some fat frickin’ gazillionaire satyr is going to endorse another fat gazillinionaire satyr.

color me excited.

renalin on February 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM

What? Lindsay Graham?? I’m shocked. shocked.
And happy.

balkanmom on February 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Go see Drudge. He finally realized that Trump will endorse Newt and went nuts…that is that Ann squeezed his tiny ones even tighter.

p.s. “tiny” as in “no steel”, not what some of you had on your mind.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

color me excited.

renalin on February 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Adelman (22 billion), his wife, Wynn, Trump…

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM

What? Lindsay Graham?? I’m shocked. shocked.
And happy.

balkanmom on February 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. My husband and I had suspected that Newt was thrown under the bus because he was rocking the political boat too much. After all, look at the people who were complaining about him and then who took over after he left. Spending went through the roof after Newt left the House of Representatives.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM

bluefox on February 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM

jimver back on the other thread wants you. Yes I agree with you.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Keep on keeping on, Newt!

Bring it to Tennessee, baby! Can’t wait to vote for you on Super Tuesday!

Nevada is next? eh…Now, is that the state that RE-elected Harry Reid?? Why, yes..yes it is, no wonder they love Romney/ObamneyCare!

purgatory on February 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM

You gotta love South Carolina.
Newton Leroy Jackson.
Going Bold.

FlaMurph on February 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM

p.s. “tiny” as in “no steel”, not what some of you had on your mind.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Lol! Drudge and Ann are in a bad way today, and they thought it was going to be a day of Romney celebration. Plus, Ann got a thrashing from her fellow conservatives today after she outed herself in her column. What goes around comes around–Lol.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Baloney. It is not questioning whether he is a U.S. citizen. Why are you making things up?

VorDaj on February 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Makes me wonder what The Newt promised The Donald.

Philly on February 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

His own moon colony.

VorDaj on February 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

A Trump endorsement? Meh, who cares?

independentvoice on February 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Wow, I switched to FBN when I heard he was the next guest. I just assumed he was going to give ole Romney more servicing and that he would show up on the set with his kneepads on.

Wow, who knew?

karenhasfreedom on February 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

But who is Wayne Newton endorsing?

Emperor Norton on February 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I see this as Trump’s ego getting in the way, (is that so unusual?), To endorse Romney would be to endorse someone who has been or is as successful as he is in business, which he could never admit.

Yeah I know Trump claims to be a billionaire, but that seems top be more of a claim than reality.

Tater Salad on February 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Slightly O/T:

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Interesting 2 days so far. Krauthammer yesterday was trying to walk back all the BS he said about Newt in the past month or so, today it was Graham’s turn. Looks like Establishment is only now realizing the damaga they have done to the Republican cause by supporting an obvious liberal (Romney) and now backtracking to somehow fix it. May be too late, maybe not. Let’s see how many non-Mormons in NV vote this weekend.

What is interesting about Graham’s admission today is that it went against McLame’s endorsement of Romney and Graham is usually a parrot to McLame. So, something is happening in DC these days…

riddick on February 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Drudge says Trump is endorsing Romney now!

Roymunson on February 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Alternate headline: “Trump to endorse Newt Gingrich tomorrow. Newt Gingrich hardest hit.”
alchemist19 on February 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I’m late to the thread, but that was exactly my first thought.

The thought was like this:
“How much is Mitt’s campaign paying Trump to do this?”

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

p.s. “tiny” as in “no steel”, not what some of you had on your mind.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Indeed. That is exactly what I thought, too. Perhaps McCain and Graham have had a parting of the ways over Romney. Frankly, I think McCain had to endorse Romney because I suspect it was part of the deal they struck in 2008 after Romney dropped out of the race and endorsed McCain. The GOP seems to be an organization that operates on the next-in-line with seniority model.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Wow that is very intresting.

evergreenland on February 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Don’t know what happened with my post, but I was responding to Riddick’s 11:22 p.m. post. Sorry for the confusion.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Drudge says Trump is endorsing Romney now!
Roymunson on February 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Does this mean Trump likes Mitt better, or that Gingrich is paying Trump to endorse Mitt?

STAY TUNED !

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

It looks like Trump is going with Romney according to Drudge.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Drudge says Trump is endorsing Romney now!

Roymunson on February 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM

What would be the upside for Trump in endorsing Romney? No, I athink that Trump wants/needs the drama of his potential entry into the race as a potential third-party candidate. Endorsing the guy that seems to be taking command of the race doesn’t help Trump promote himself. Endorsing Gingrich lets him continue his populist routine from the sidelines through the summmer, threatening to get into the general election to settle scores with the GOP establishment.

ghostwriter on February 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Sarah Palin

Oh well, Donald is just such a good solid conservative, so it’s nice to see him jumping in to support Newt cause he’s such a good sold conservative and you know, this keeps the process going so I like I said we can look forward to more campaigning which means steel sharpening steel so yes this is good for the party and I’m glad to see that Donald is there for Newt to give him this kind of support so that we can have more sharpening and vetting and….

Basilsbest on February 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM

It looks like Trump is going with Romney according to Drudge.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I think Drudge may be saying that by endorsing Newt, he’s helping Mitt. The article he’s linked to discusses the Newt endorsement. Guess we’ll see.

kerrhome on February 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM

It looks like Trump is going with Romney according to Drudge. KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

How hard is it to follow a link? Not one to go below the surface, I see.

Basilsbest on February 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Trump who?

csdeven on February 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Drudge says Trump is endorsing Romney now!
Roymunson on February 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM

STAY TUNED !

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I think he’s playing with Newt’s supporters heads :-)…

jimver on February 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I think he’s playing with Newt’s supporters heads :-)…

jimver on February 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Uh, they don’t have any heads left remember? They exploded last night after Romney opened that case of whoop@ss on Gingrich.

csdeven on February 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM

So the big endorsement is from a guy who takes both the “Questionable business dealings” and “Says he likes to fire people” cards off the table.

If I were Gingrich, I’d say “Thanks for the endorsement” but not get too close to Trump, just because looking joined at the hip with him only brings on Trump’s (sizable) baggage while letting Trump try to stroke his own ego, and possibly try to use the campaign to promote himself.

Cynical? Maybe, but even Batman doesn’t name things after himself or put his symbol on his stuff to the extent Trump does.

Betenoire on February 2, 2012 at 1:28 AM

What if he decides to endorse “the People” like Cain did at first?

Adjoran on February 2, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Trump who?

csdeven on February 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM

(open your eyes)
The guy on top of you!

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Trump endorses Newt, hammering the final nail in Newt’s coffin.

xblade on February 2, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Has Trump signed up Newt for the next season of Celebrity Apprentice?

Adjoran on February 2, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Not questioning if Rubio is a citizen but a natural born citizen. There is a difference. Both parents have to be citizens to be a Natural born citizen. Born is the US only gets you citizenship

bytor on February 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM

CNN reporting that Trump is endorsing Romney not Newt. Looks like the Newt camp jumped the gun with the leak or no one really knows.

PhiKapMom on February 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Trump will endorse both of them saying that “the Donald” is a great enough entity to support both.

gerry-mittbot-doesn”t want Trump endorsement