Jim Moran: Allen West isn’t representative of African-Americans

posted at 5:25 pm on February 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, does Moran mean West isn’t representative of blacks generally or that he wasn’t representative of them specifically when he said Obama, Pelosi, and Reid should “get the hell out of the United States of America”? He’s on the right network and the right show for cheap racial demagoguery aimed at a minority conservative, but I’m thrown by what he says at the beginning in claiming that West isn’t representative of the GOP either. That’s an unusual concession coming from a Democrat in attack mode, especially when he’s got Sunshine here egging him on.

Ah well. After that first flush of ambiguity, he settles into a standard racially-tinged “you’re selling out your roots” jag against West:

He just seems clueless now that he has climbed aboard ship. He’s climbed this ladder of opportunity that was constructed by so many of his ancestors’ sweat, sacrifice, blood. You know, they did everything they could for his generation to be successful. But now that he’s climbed on board ship, instead of reaching down and steadying the ladder, he wants to push it off. You know, “I’m up here. If you’re not with me, too bad.” And President Obama, fortunately, is the kind of guy that says, “I was very fortunate to get where I am and I’m going to spend my life trying to steady that ladder of opportunity by reducing college tuition and training our workers, trying to get a decent job for everybody. Making sure that while I’m African-American, it really doesn’t matter. What matters is my commitment to public service, my love for this country and, you know. I’m going to leave a constructive legacy.’”

I was … not aware that West opposes lower college tuition, well-trained workers, and jobs. I’d bet cash money that he supports all three so long as they’re being driven by the private sector, precisely because the private sector can build that ladder better than government can. But then, that’s why Moran tossed the “ancestors” reference in there — to use the notion of race treason as a deterrent against minority viewers who might otherwise agree with West about government intervention in markets. It’s one of Democrats’ most brutal tactics and it’s not limited to black Republicans. The boss emeritus has had trolls tossing “race traitor” nonsense at her literally for decades, yet I’d be surprised if even one has bothered trying to explain why Americans of Filipino ancestry should be seen as selling out their heritage by preferring smaller government. The logic seems to be that she’s a minority and minority conservatives are “inauthentic” and, well, there you go. QED.

That’s clip one. Clip two, via the MRC, speaks for itself; skip ahead to around 11 minutes in and listen to radio host Thaddeus Matthews strip Moran’s point of its Beltway-speak patina to its rawest, most vicious form and then throw it in the face of Republican Charlotte Bergmann. Nice to see this argument naked for once.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Who cares? Mitt Romney hates blacks, Jews, women, the poor, puppies, and school plays.

/lib4life

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Moran to West “get back where you belong boy

Charlemagne on February 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The jokes just write themselves.

squint on February 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

What Moran is saying is that, in his opinion, African-Americans prefer the slavery of the Democratic Party.

Rascist!

CliffHanger on February 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

He’s right. West isn’t representative of African-Americans, unfortunately.

Mark1971 on February 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I think it’s safe to say this clown is a piece of racist slime excrement. To his face.

platypus on February 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Jim Moran – the true face of racism. Incredible and shameful.

jake-the-goose on February 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Africans? There’s Africans HERE! Wait till I tell my black AMERICAN friends!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Bashir really should get the hell out of the United States…

d1carter on February 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

What is that first clip, a teaser trailer for Dumb and Dumbererer?

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM

If West was representative of African Americans, then Jim Moran and his DNC ilk would be up a creek without a paddle. We should be so lucky to have thousands of people like West all over the nation.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on February 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Africans? There’s Africans HERE! Wait till I tell my black AMERICAN friends!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

That deserves a trophy. Right, Ed?

platypus on February 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM

wells thats true over 98% of blacks voted for Obama…

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

That deserves a trophy. Right, Ed AP?

platypus on February 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I am getting senile.

platypus on February 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Funny how liberals seem to think that accusing people of being traitors to their race is OK when they do it.

M. Scott Eiland on February 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Wow. What is it with hosts named Matthews being total scumbuckets to their guests?

“I don’t want to shake your hand, the whiteness might rub off.” Oof.

KingGold on February 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Rep. moron does not agree with an african american, therefore he is a racist bigot homophobe, and must resign from congress immediately.

rightside on February 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

And Moran is not representative of America. Get the hell out.

ToddPA on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Moran to West “get back where you belong boy“

Charlemagne on February 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

majority of blacks disagree with Allen West Opinion and frankly there is a word to describe folks like him in the AA community.

over 90% of blacks voted against Allen West and party…
Blacks don’t feel welcomed in the republikkkan party.
only a certain type of blacks are welcomed into the party if you know what I mean….

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Oh dear. White liberals know more about being black than actual black Americans do. Got it.

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Because when I want to know what a representative of african americans is I always ask an old white guy. Especially one who bring the Lion King into it.

Sultanofsham on February 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Well conservatives certainly don’t since blacks despise their party.

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Independent thinkers? Successful? What do you mean?

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Who keeps playing the Twilight Zone theme?

ElectricPhase on February 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Hero?

Trendsetter?

Trailblazer?

I give up, what is it?

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

At 11:45… O_O…wow does that dude go batazz crazy on that woman, he turns into a nasty jackwad.

Then at 12:20, Holy Crap, “I’m not gonna shake your hand because I don’t want any of your whiteness wearing off on me.”

Jeebus.

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

What a Moran.

Doodad Pro on February 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM

My husband is a real African American and he is white! Born in Africa and now a citizen of the United States. That is an African American. Oddly, they don’t let him put that on job app and such.
I think that is a little racist myself.

SgtRed on February 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

This is what, the 147th time you’ve posted that same comment. So what is the word?

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Liberal4life, the trolling you are so bad at is getting old…I wish there was a word in the HA community to describe you and that word would be ‘banned’.

EnochCain on February 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Africans? There’s Africans HERE! Wait till I tell my black AMERICAN friends!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I know. Kenya believe it?

Left Coast Right Mind on February 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

/lib4life /Hot Air “true conservative”

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

EFA.

Vyce on February 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Racisim is the only thing the left has to smear anyone on the right and the sad thing is, it sticks to often due to the drum majors in the media.

formerwm on February 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Down twinkles.

DumboTheAvenger on February 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Well conservatives certainly don’t since blacks despise their party.

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

All of them? Every single one? You sure?

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

That moron Moran is not representative… if he thinks he is he needs to get the hell out of the country. Elitist POS.

ultracon on February 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Hero?

Trendsetter?

Trailblazer?

I give up, what is it?

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I can help you tighten the tin foil hat if you need help

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Would you consider Allen West to be black? Does he despise Republicans? You paint with too broad of strokes sentenced2lifewiththeDems.

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Jim Moran…calls JugEars an ‘African-American?’
RACIST-ETHNIC INTIMIDATION BIGOT!
The Liar-in-Chief is from Kenyan and English backgrounds.
Jim Moran, is a Penis-American! Decended, from a ba-gina!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

How do these idiots keep getting elected, and what does that say about the people who elect them to be represented by these fools. I’s a sad day.

Rollout on February 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

BTW, Moran is, sadly, the representative of my district.

Which is a distinction from him being MY representative.

He’s not. I’ve actually been working to get him thrown out of Congress every two years, for the past 6-8 years now.

The problem is, this district is so ridiculously infested with die-hard lefties, that he sleep-walks his way through the elections.

But he’s a particularly sad, nauseating excuse for a human being, let alone a congressman.

Vyce on February 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

EnochCain on February 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

pack your bags and move to N.Korea you communist!.
Over there most people agree on the same thing. Heck they even cry together on national TV when their dear leader dies…

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

lib4life is a troll people..ignore him and maybe he will self deport.

EnochCain on February 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

He sure is. He refuses to play victim and takes responsibility for his own prosperity and success.

carbon_footprint on February 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

How many times of crap like this happening will it take before our “moderate, above the fray” type realize that we are in a war? Moran and his ilk continually get away with it.
Somewhere between “my friends” and “you coxsucker” there has to be a middle ground. I lean towards sustained artillery fire. The republican party better get wise.

arnold ziffel on February 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Hero?

Trendsetter?

Trailblazer?

I give up, what is it?

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

You forgot role model.

rightside on February 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Another liberal Race Detective.

pat on February 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Another Racist from the Left heard from..

Who cares what he thinks?

Chip on February 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I can help you tighten the tin foil hat if you need help

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

So I have to be a conspiracy theorist to believe that African Americans might be proud of a black military hero who made it all the way to the Unites States Congress as a reprentative of the party that freed the slaves?

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Nothing like a pasty white guy telling a Pakistani that a black man isn’t representative of African-Americans.

LOL

This is racism of the most overt kind, but yet it’s Republicans that are racist? Every time you turn around some nitwit Democrat is saying something racist while trying to suck up to the minority voters.

It’s amazing.

ButterflyDragon on February 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

RACISTS!!! What? Oh… really? A Democrat? My bad. Carry on.

LoganSix on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I think that is a little racist myself.

SgtRed on February 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Reminds me of this.

Mark1971 on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

wells thats true over 98% of blacks voted for Obama…

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

So did 70% of High School Dropouts.

Del Dolemonte on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Another liberal Race Detective.

pat on February 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

charles ‘icarus’ johnson being the first.

rightside on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

EnochCain on February 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Does she realize that there isn’t much of difference between the ideology of North Korea and our Dear Leader, El Presidente Downgrade?

Chip on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

If the things I’ve heard from the mouth of Alan West DON’T represent the Republican party, then the Republican party needs to be ‘torn down and rebuilt’.

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

UGH! UGH! UGH! There are plenty of African Americans who can articulate the distance between Allen West and the black political tradition in this nation. But Jim Moran? From Northern VA?!? Dear Mr. Moran, black people do not need you to lay out the distance between Allen West and the vital black intellectual traditions (laid out first by David Walker, Frederick Douglass and Sojurner Truth and others) which has always used the black experience to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the American project. Jim Moran is *not* part of that tradition and I’m *disgusted* that MSNBC would act as if he represent anything but his own electoral interests. So much barf.

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Well conservatives certainly don’t since blacks despise their party.

liberal4life

WHite liberals don’t know what it’s like to be black, but they certainly know how to pander to blacks.

JAM on February 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

over 90% of blacks voted against Allen West and party…
Blacks don’t feel welcomed in the republikkkan party.

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

You’re a caricature.

CW on February 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

republikkkan party.

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Dude read some history.

bernverdnardo1 on February 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

There’s a word for people like West in liberal circles, but geek4life can’t tell us what that word is because it’s super secret.

I was thinking “NotRobertByrdsNeighbor” but I’m not sure that is a real word.

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

So much barf.

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

You’re such a badass.

CW on February 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Well conservatives certainly don’t since blacks despise their party.

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Tell Watts, Cain, Thomas, West and a host of others your theory.
In your previous life, you carried a whip and walked down rows of cotton didn’t you?

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Col. West should respond in kind…

Seven Percent Solution on February 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

You’re such a badass.

CW on February 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Sweetie…really? You think I care *at all* if anyone makes any conclusions about my masculinity, bad assness or otherwise from my contributions on this blog. You remain the *cutest* think that’s ever typed.

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

So who is representative of African-Americans? Obama? Jackson? Sharpton? Cousin Pookie?

Left Coast Right Mind on February 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

It’s amazing.

ButterflyDragon on February 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I would almost want to encourage this type of thing – sort of like the Obama’s Wild Socialist ‘squatter’ movement.

Over time people will realize that is the Left that incessantly judges people on the color of their skin and it’s the Leftists that are the true racists.

Chip on February 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

wells thats true over 98% of blacks voted for Obama…

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

And the last Gallup poll I looked at, his approval rating with blacks has dropped to 76%. That’s quite a drop from the 98% approval rating with that demographic in the first year of his term.

It looks like 24% of blacks have realized there is no “Obama money”. Obama is not going to pay your mortgage or put gas in your car or any of those other silly things people were saying.

Blacks, generally speaking, are worse off now than when he first took office.

I personally think Obama is mainly responsible for the rise in the numbers of black conservatives.

ButterflyDragon on February 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I see the little one is here. I left you a short story on the Chimp thread. Thought you might enjoy.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

pack your bags and move to N.Korea you communist!.

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Is that where you got the bib?

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Moran…you aren’t representative of the white race…..so.

lilium479 on February 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Blacks don’t feel welcomed in the republikkkan party.

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

No liberal4life, I really don’t know what you mean.

Roymunson on February 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

You’re a caricature.

CW on February 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Sometimes I can’t believe that someone could hold such views – but maybe I need to get out more.

Chip on February 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

He’s right. West isn’t representative of African-Americans, unfortunately.
Mark1971 on February 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

He is right. 90% of them are democrat voting robots, programmed from birth that the party that literally enslaved them and fought civil rights until the bitter end are their friends. If you think for yourself, you’re an uncle t0m, and they aren’t afraid to tell you that to your face, even white democrats like Jim Moron. It is brainwashing at it’s worst.

The Count on February 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

if you know what I mean….
No. Don’t have a clue what you mean. Care to explain.
I’m with Rep. West not with Rep. Moron.

RickinNH on February 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Besides MSDNC’s brain-dead audience, all 25 of them, who really listens to this moron, er, Moran, guy?

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Chip on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I dont think she realizes that but the funny part is that is took the North Koreans decades and the barrel of a gun to end up worshipping their dear leader and for Obama supporters all it took was “Hope and Change”

EnochCain on February 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on February 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

None. This is not the point. Even MLK Jr. wasn’t “representative” of African Americans. While conservatives have decided to put little boundaries around “I Have A Dream” and pretend like he was some post-racial icon MLK Jr was not universally loved by blacks (and especially not whites who primarily called him a communist). While King became the face of the movement, the Civil Rights Movements major victories were engineered by organizers behind the scenes, most of the women church goers who took the message from the meeting rooms of the SCLC or NAACP into broader communities in laundry rooms, on buses and in living rooms. Non-violent protest in Birmingham, Montgomery, Tallahassee, Greensboro and others was put together by a large mass of people, not by inspirational leaders.

The mass media was helpful in a way, it helped to expose the violence of Bull Connor and white ethnics in Cicero Chicago, but it was also bad in that it got us into this idea that folks need one leader who “represents” black people. Its a trap/lure that has transformed potentially good organizers into self aggrandizing jerks like Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. I’ve been involved with Sharpton’s organizing in NYC, it has *nothing* to do with the traditions of the CRM. But none of that is for Jim Moran to say.

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Why can blacks not see how they are used by the Dem party? The Dems are the racists and the ones keeping the black community “on the plantation”, and how dare you want to leave and be a Republican. Therefore, you are not a real black.

silvernana on February 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

P.S. I’ll handle the little one while you’re gone.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Nothing says facepalm like a pasty white guy telling a black guy that he’s not a proper black.

Gee, the Dems really get pissed when an African-American strays away from their “plantation paradise.”

Kingfisher on February 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Why can blacks not see how they are used by the Dem party?

Why don’t working class whites see how they are used by the GOP? Why don’t conservatives ever ask that question?

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

“plantation paradise.”

Kingfisher on February 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Why do you people *always* reference slavery when referring to the relationship between the Democratic party and African Americans. But then you get pissed off when leftists argue that slavery is a central part of American history and the founding of the nation. Does slavery have repurcussions in the current world or not?

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM

When you try to attach some sort of rational meaning to Moron’s words, you are doing a disservice to the entire human race.

logis on February 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

my contributions on this blog.

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

More like your droppings on this blog.

Del Dolemonte on February 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

More like your droppings on this blog.

Del Dolemonte on February 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Kisses darling!!

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

You mean THIS Jim Moran who racially profiled and accused an 8 year old black boy of trying to steal his car and placed him in a choke hold?

The story ran on NBC’s Today Show. The boy was an “A’ student and it was proved Moran made the accusation because he saw the black boy touching his car and profiled him as a thief.

Moran seems to have gone into a projecting mode ever since!

Opposite Day on February 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Martin complains that we don’t call Obama, President Obama. The media made a point of calling President Bush, Mr. Bush. They did it ALL the time. This really ticks me off.

earlgrey133 on February 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Why do you always say, “You people?”

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Huh uh, on what grounds do you assert that “working class ‘whites’ are being used by the GOP?”

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

republikkkan party.

liberal4life on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

To be accurate, you would have to say DemoKKKrat party.

catmman on February 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

earlgrey133 on February 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Do you call Obama, Mr. Obama?

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Is there a word for whites who stray from the GOP, from people in the European-American community, I mean?

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

No liberal4life, I really don’t know what you mean.

Roymunson on February 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

We all know what he means, he means *whispering* Uncle Tom. He’s just too cowardly to say it outright.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

On what grounds do you assert that blacks are on a “plantation?”

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Thaddeus Matthews

Woah.

John the Libertarian on February 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

What’s that ya say there Pinky.

Harpoon on February 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Not until November.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I believe they’re called liberals. Amongst Republicans its about as dirty a word as “Uncle Tom.”

libfreeordie on February 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Opposite Day on February 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

He was not of voting age.

EnochCain on February 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM