How did Mitt Romney fare with millennials in Florida?

posted at 12:15 pm on February 1, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Ron Paul might have a reputation for appealing to youth voters, but, in Florida, Mitt Romney dominated among millennials no less than among the general electorate. According to preliminary analysis by the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, Romney captured 41 percent of voters under the age of 30 to finish in first by 16 points. At 25 percent of the vote, Paul was second with young voters. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich earned 21 percent of the youth vote, while Rick Santorum won 13 percent.

Overall, though, the GOP candidates didn’t attract many millennials to the polls in the first place. About 100,000 young Floridians participated in the primary — for a youth turnout rate of just 4 percent. Surprisingly, though, that’s actually slightly higher than in 2004, the last time just one party held a contested primary in Florida. In 2000 and 2008, when both parties held contested primaries, youth turnout was 4 percent and 13 percent, respectively.

From the Florida numbers, Romney doesn’t seem to turn off youth voters, but, again, none of the GOPers seem to attract young people in large numbers. The eventual GOP nominee needs to know millennials are ripe for the taking. I’ve reached out to the Romney campaign on several occasions to ask how Romney would reach out to millennials should he become the GOP nominee, but, so far, have received no response. Meanwhile, Barack Obama continues to roll out programs that are expressly aimed at retaining the Obamamaniacs that helped to elect him in 2008. Most recently, for example, he introduced a summer jobs program and announced a fresh injection of federal funds into the student loan program.

Yet, Obama’s policies have disproportionately hurt young people. The Youth Misery Index — a measure of youth unemployment, the average graduating student loan debt and the national debt per capita — has never been higher. With a concentrated economic message, the Republican nominee ought to be able to appeal to disaffected young former Obama supporters.

Comments

The Germans had a summer youth program too, way back in the 30′s and 40′s.

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM

yes, yes he did.

He also kicked Newt’s newt.

Jailbreak on February 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Mitt hates Millenials!

/lib4life

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I prefer to call them Generation Whiiiine-because that’s what they like to do.
Speaking of which-I don’t think Spawn is Mitt fan.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Dude ?
-Huh ?
Whatever.

FlaMurph on February 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Bishop on February 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Back in your bunker…NOW!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

FlaMurph on February 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Totally…
Lame…
*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

All things considered – Romney “not pissing off young voters” is a positive.

Better to level off than to lose.

Odie1941 on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Tina, this reads like a Mitt puff-piece!

At the college I attend here in CO, there’s a massive amount of young conservatives and Republicans, most of whom are attracted to Ron Paul, but would still support Newt or Santorum if they were the nominee. Mitt is boring as hell and doesn’t energize/enthuse the base, never mind young voters.

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Your last paragraph above says it all, Tina.

Are there any Republican campaign strategists sharp enough to figure this out?

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Seriously.

FlaMurph on February 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Spawn would cut his hands off before he voted for Chief Ronulan. He’s a half-Jooo though-so what does he know.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

With all due respect – this is about Florida results specifically, not CO – 2 completely different states and profiles of “young conservatives”

And Romney has already won the FL delegates, while we will see how he fares in CO; namely the folsk you seem to like may not even be running by CO.

Odie1941 on February 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Your last paragraph above says it all, Tina.
Are there any Republican campaign strategists sharp enough to figure this out?
listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Of course they do. They already have plans to have the Beach Boys do some concerts for the youngsters in the voting audience.

whatcat on February 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

whatcat on February 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

My mother calls them ‘The Beach Old Men.
Spawn’s never heard of ‘em.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Tina, this reads like a Mitt puff-piece!

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Hold your horses- Tina be thy name will get around to “how well mittens did with Conservatives and Tea Party supporters” post in a bit. And you will enjoy that post even more.

FlaMurph on February 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

FlaMurph, morning.

Just wanted to let you know that I read your comment about the “minorities” and you are right.

However, C. Rice is a rotten choice. She covered Obama’s azz at a very precarious time, by closing the passport dossier, with his and others’ docs in it…she likely even voted for the fool.

Let her be. He needs a conservative on the ticket, but alas it won’t matter.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Odie1941 on February 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Correct. And I believe Romney is favored to win in CO anyway.

GOPRanknFile on February 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

OT: Don Cornelius, cool dude supreme of Soul Train blew his brains out. I offer a moment of his show’s groooove “I Gotcha” to The Don’s memory.

RIP

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

“I totally support that Mitt Romney guy.”
“Dude, are you being sarcastic?”
“I don’t even know anymore.”

Flange on February 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Apparently he does in Florida.

catmman on February 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

whatcat on February 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

LOL. Very good. Thanks.

Kaffa on February 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Mitt hates Millenials!

/lib4life

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Being that they’re annoying as hell-more annoying than me-I thought EVERYONE hated ‘em.
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM

My point still stands.

Young conservatives don’t like Mitt, and Mitt doesn’t like them!

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Well, oldsters or not, Mitt has locked up the Shoe Shine Boy vote, and in a state like Florida, that’s big.

bloggless on February 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM

///

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM

If not Paul, then at least Santorum.

Under no circumstances will I cast my very first vote in the general election for a milquetoast like Mitt, and I ain’t voting Obama, either.

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

First Robert Heyges-now this.
People from my childhood keep dying.
Damn them!
*pout*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Whatever you can do to help, young whoopersnapper.

Hard to break the spell of the entertainment-industrial-complex.

kunegetikos on February 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

My point still stands.

Young conservatives don’t like Mitt, and Mitt doesn’t like them!

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I’m a young conservative and I like Mitt. Just sayin’.

GOPRanknFile on February 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM

touché

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

He’ll just miss being able to vote in the primaries. If Santorum is still in come TX-I’ll vote for him.
If Mitt is the nominee in November-I WILL vote for him-as will the Mister…and we will be encouraging Spawn to do so as well for his first vote.
This nation CANNOT/WILL NOT survive another Zero term.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I’m a young conservative and I like Mitt. Just sayin’.

GOPRanknFile on February 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Don’t mind me, I was just trolling.

But honestly, here in CO, Mitt is not popular at all with the youngsters.

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Hey

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Maybe so- but she would be a difficult smear target for the media beyond the “technical” point of view. Who do you think he, or SHE, should be as VP (for any candidate)?

FlaMurph on February 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Good think about millennials is that their spoiled pipedreams were shattered.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Well, good thing is…

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

whatcat on February 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

My mother calls them ‘The Beach Old Men.
Spawn’s never heard of ‘em.
annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM

You’ve heard of “Rock The Vote”? With the BB it’s “Rocking Chair The Vote”. Or “Creak The Vote”.

(But still some great music for us older youngsters.)

whatcat on February 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

FlaMurph on February 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

West

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Good think about millennials is that their spoiled pipedreams were shattered.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Generation Whine is a more apt description.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

You know, I’d like to feel enthusiastic about voting for the first time, and that’s hard to do with Mitt as the nominee. I also want to vote for a candidate, not just against a total failure like Barry.

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Obama’s policies have disproportionately hurt young people.

Are you better off than your parents were at your age?

John Deaux on February 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Don’t mind me, I was just trolling.

But honestly, here in CO, Mitt is not popular at all with the youngsters.

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Fair enough. I’ll take your word for it. But I will say (this is just anecdotal of course), I’ve noticed that besides Ron Paul, the youngsters seem to be most enthused about Romney. They think that Santorum is too religious and Newt is damaged goods. Just my two cents, though.

GOPRanknFile on February 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

GOPRanknFile on February 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I hate to ask, but do you live in a liberal/liberal-leaning State? The kiddies here are more concerned with economic issues and the debt, and less concerned with religion, social issues, and such.

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Paul and Rand Paul will ultimately support Romney if he is the candidate, and will ask for his ideas to be considered by Romney, who can work out any request into something reasonable. (sorry I know you hate, reasonable, but REASON is important in proving conclusions.) He will bring along SOME of his youth vote, but not all, the ones that are only interested in the drug laws will do something else. In NE, the Paul supporters often have a bumper sticker about Pot next to the one about Paul. That is hard for some of us who live straight, sober, modest lives.

Fleuries on February 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Please interpret NE in my post to mean New England, I forgot we are national here.

Fleuries on February 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I had to do that in ’96-and I voted Perot in protest in ’92.
My first vote was work GHWB in 1988. I had just turned 18…and I was VERY gung-ho about it.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

With a concentrated economic message, the Republican nominee

I don’t hear Mitt mentioning across the board Spending Cuts and Tax Cuts.

I do hear Mitt committing to repealing but then “replacing” Obamacare with something else, which might be as much as 1/6th of our economy.

Now that he heads the GOP effort Romney needs to switch out of primary mode, to offer something more than an anti-Obama message on economics. To win in the general you have to get people go to the voting booths to vote for something, not against something.

McCain got a lot of votes in ’08 with a muddled non-distinctive economic message, but not enough to win. And winning is the point of all this.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I have 2 daughters in their 20′s and I can tell you that the youth are disillusioned because of Obama. Many of their friends who are recent grads can’t find work. I think overall the percentage of the youth vote will be down this cycle which is good for us Republicans.

Ta111 on February 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

There are young people in Florida?..

Archivarix on February 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Tina, this reads like a Mitt puff-piece!

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I’ve yet to meet a millennial that shows any sign of support for Mitt Romney. I’ve heard a few refer to Newt as a “bastard,” but in that sort of “good, he’s taking it to Mitt” kind of way. Rick Santorum: fair or not, he’s considered far too socially conservative. That leaves Ron Paul.

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Are you better off than your parents were at your age?

John Deaux on February 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

kunegetikos on February 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM

whatcat on February 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

What? Does he know that The New Christy Mistrels are available?

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Spelling corrected: The New Christy Minstrels

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

My mother calls them ‘The Beach Old Men.
Spawn’s never heard of ‘em.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Beach Creeps?

Not safe for work. Or for most eyes.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

As I’ve said before-if Ronulan we’re to be the nominee(he won’t be), Spawn would do the same as his mom and step-dad…and sit on his hands for the presidential race.
He LOATHES Ron Paul.
When it comes to Her Doktor Paul…to quote Tevye: On the other hand…there IS no ‘other hand’!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Key West Reader on February 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I’ve seen worse(though slightly more dressed) at work.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Ta111 on February 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

According to my kiddo, Obama is the biggest joke around. MRS. Obama is the main joke because of her food agenda. Nobody eats school lunch anymore. They wait and go to Taco Bell after school.

I guess eating cat meat is better than eating Mrs. Obama’s menu.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Well, if you could vote for Bob Dole! you could probably vote for Mitt…

But I don’t like his recent comments about doing more for the “safety net” because it sounds like he won’t reign in spending or reform entitlements.

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Mitt hates Millenials!

/lib4life

Kataklysmic on February 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

lobotomy4life He’s to rich.
He’s never been poor. He can’t relate to them!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I currently live in a red state, but have also lived in a blue state and a swing state. And yes, the millennials, for the most part, in all three states care about fiscal matters as opposed to social issues, which is why they don’t care much for Santorum, who they see as the “social values” candidate and don’t care much for Newt either because of his baggage, not necessarily because they care about his personal issues, but how those personal issues would affect his electability.

GOPRanknFile on February 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM

He LOATHES Ron Paul.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Not to worry. Ron Paul won’t be the nominee. Though, the GOP would be wise to listen to Sarah Palin’s advice about trying to get some of Ron Paul’s supporters into the fold. The 2008 and 2010 elections demonstrated that 3rd party libertarian movements can cost the GOP wins. Just ask the happy Raul Grijalva.

And it’s Herr. Though, to the best of my knowledge, Ron Paul doesn’t have a large German speaking constituency.

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

My experience talking to younger people in liberal MA is that even though some of them don’t have jobs, no one has made the connection on that for them to Barach Obama; the Occupiers never blamed Barach Obama, and the liberal media here has not yet reported that it was not Sarah Palin that was talking inside Jared Loughners schitzo head. So I don’t expect the media in Liberal New England to tell them Barach Obama has been slacking on the job, and that it needs fixing, they might tell them that they are suffering because banks charge too much for student loans. (I know, that is the government charging too much, but quibble quibble.)

Perhaps, Winning Our future could do some purely educational info on economics as restitution for smearing all of business, banks, investments and profits in a few of their endeavors. MSM channels. Not saying that Mitt Romney is a theif. Civics and economic educational promos.

The liberal young vote as I talk to is, interested in that Fairness thing. Are also interested in social issues like gay marriage, bigotry and bullying against gays, job discrimination against people who don’t feel like they were supposed to be the gender they were born; War is BAD. There they might get close to Paul. But they would have no idea who The FED is unless they think it is a jail.

Mostly when you talk to them about voting, it is that Warren Buffets secretary pays less in taxes (yes, PAYS) than he does, and they think it is a philosophical/ideological challenge about social values. (Not unlike some on our side that can’t vote unless the abortion position is perfect, and used to be about a candidate with an adulterous/sexually scandalous background.)

So, if you can make gay issues really important in this campaign these young people might come out and vote, but otherwise, they might sleep through this election. Oh right, and if someone tells them that Women Will Die, and no one will fund women’s health care, they might come out and vote, if they are not still on their parents insurance by that time.

Fleuries on February 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

My then friend-now husband-used to call me up and sing ‘Dole Man’ to the tune of ‘Soul Man’. I was ready to SCREAM!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

whatcat on February 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Whewww . . . . . . I’ll sleep better tonight, knowing that.

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM

GOPRanknFile on February 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Oh, see, I was suggesting that maybe the young voters were just apathetic to social-issues and religion, not that they were turned off. I also misspoke a little when I said that the young folks care about “economic issues,” when they actually care less about the economy itself, and more about the national debt and the budget deficit, because they understand that they’re going to have to pay off that debt many years down the road.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

And you still ended up getting married?

Wow, now that’s a strong marriage.

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

As a millennial who has been involved in GOP politics for three years now on a local level in Upstate, New York, I see experience as the most important element for someone on our side of the aisle running for President, which is one of the reasons I’m backing Mitt.

I believe his private sector, olympic and public sector hats will enable him to govern effectively and to look at problems from his past experience as a businessman, or as Governor. Not to mention, but I think he’s a fine individual who will try to do whats right for America.

As for most of my co-GOP youngbloods supporting Paul, they annoy the hell out of me. We are more than anyone else, the 9/11 generation that grew up with war at our front-steps, and to turn that around and support someone who blames us; not the enemy for what occurred ten years ago is highly offensive and just stupid.

National defense matters more than anything else to me, and I can’t imagine a Paul presidency, or why my generation would want one.

timbok on February 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

. . . . . . the GOP would be wise to listen to Sarah Palin’s advice about trying to get some of Ron Paul’s supporters into the fold.
MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

If somebody, ANYBODY, in the current field of Republican primary candidates would just pick up on this theme:

“Government is NOT the solution to the problem, government IS the problem.”

That’s a quote from . . . . . some “guy”. . . . . I think he used to be a famous Republican, or something . . . . . I dunno . . . . . .

Anyway, one of our candidates needs to do THAT.

listens2glenn on February 1, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

So essentially what you are saying is that, I will cast my vote so it is meaningless and worthless. Instead of casting a vote that has meaning against Obama, I’ll waste that vote.

Yep makes a whole lot of sense.

uhangtight on February 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Aizen on February 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

It’ll be 10 years this fall.
Feels like longer.
Juuuust kidding.
*smirk*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM

There are young people in Florida?..

Archivarix on February 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

My son goes to college there, and he’s 20. So do his classmates.

Steve Z on February 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

So our candidates should keep their traps shut about gay issues, and let those young people sleep through this election. Fewer votes for MetrObamaSexual.

Steve Z on February 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Finally, I get some recognition. We all aren’t just hot bodies you know. Sometimes we see how badly everyone else is screwing us.

antisense on February 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM

“Millenials?”

Wouldn’t that mean people BORN in the new millennium, which began in 2001, and won’t be voting until 2019 or thereafter?

What is the matter? Did they run out of names for new generations? There was Generation X after the Baby Boomers, then Gen-Y, did we skip Generation Z altogether?

Will future historians believe there was a Lost Generation because we keep changing the nomenclature?

How about “The Debt Generation“?

Adjoran on February 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Obamamaniacs

See also: “Paulnuts”. Does no one else get a derisive nickname for their supporters, or are their supporters so insufficiently motivated that they don’t deserve one?

Mark Jaquith on February 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM