Video: Romney rips Obama in Florida victory speech

posted at 10:04 pm on January 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

Full transcript here. Some positive buzz for this on Twitter tonight, probably inevitably given that he’s in “nominee” mode and attacking Obama instead of Gingrich. But watch to the end and you’ll find the standard “believe in America” boilerplate, which I find impossible to listen to ever since Mark Steyn’s pitch-perfect parody.

How did it come to this, my friends?

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Nice speech. Obama has been a disaster for this country. It’s time to cashier him.

The Count on January 31, 2012 at 10:35 PM

So long as we have that, I’m good.

WolvenOne on January 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

This is one reason why I’m hoping in the back of my mind that Newt stays in for the long haul. If he bails, True Conservatives start focusing on the Congress. Which means they’ll pretty much go to war against anyone from The Hated Establishment. (For help on this, just look at the primary polling for any Senate race. Whoever is in first place is a filthy RINO that must be defeated.) Which means the Senate will probably escape our grasp yet again.

(By the way, if you actually want control over the houses of Congress, you’re an establishment RINO who just wants the chairmanships and control of the money. Rush told me that, so it must be true.)

KingGold on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Romney did give a good speech, but then I’ve hear other speeches in other years.
They are different!
Political variety, is not the spice of my life.

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Yep, I bet there was a run on nose clips as well…

d1carter on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

The Republican party is in more serious trouble then they might imagine.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

tradition is conservative and the GOP is traditionally clueless so…somehow that squares out.

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

It was a good speech, I’ll give him that. If he actually means 80% of what he said, he’ll make one helluva President. And BTW, if he can stay on message like this(and show no mercy toward Obama’s horrible record), he’ll win in November.

Doughboy on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Did Romney slide off the stage after the speech; the man is a walking pile of greased oil slathered in buttery slipperyness.

I’ll still vote for him over PBHO the Destroyer. I’d vote for just about anyone over PBHO.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Conservatism is dead…welcome to the wilderness again. Why have a primary in the first place, we allow the nominee to be corinated after what SC and Florida depending on who the candidate is? What’s the point anymore? Palins correct in so far as the process should continue and let the people decide not the press, not the so called elite intellectuals in the parties, this is how the republican party gets itself candidates like MCCain and now Romney birds of the same feather, the process is a joke. All you Romney people out there please tell us how he will answer the question when Obama brings it up in debate and in commercials, do you support the mandate? After all it was your plan and your advisors who consulted with my administration in crafting Obamacare…. Please tell us.

oldmans on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM

KingGold on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I hear ya, it sure would suck to lose the rock-ribbed conservatives currently controlling the House.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Romney is the Republican John Kerry. No one likes him, they just hate the guy in the White House

davemason2k on January 31, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Campaign sources to @ABC:
*************************

Mitt Romney to receive Secret Service protection

via @EmilyABCStory
14 mins ago from abcnews.go.com

============================

Jan 31, 2012 9:58pm
EXCLUSIVE: Mitt Romney to Receive Secret Service Protection
***********************************************************

canopfor on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

canopfor on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

therightwinger on January 31, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Keep telling yourself that grass root/ Tea Party types favor Romney if it makes you happy. It is a simple process of elimination based on logic not emotion. There is not and has not been aground swell of support to Romney from grass roots Conservatives. Sorry.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

We now have to start worrying about the down ticket races.

oldmans on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Obama is waiting for the cow in the slaughter house.

social-justice on January 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM

No, I won’t say it…

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Nice speech, I really want to believe you mr Romney

neuquenguy on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Yawn

Typical boilerplate Romney speech, couldn’t even watch more than a few minutes.

Norwegian on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Allah, It came to this because it was a fore gone conclusion. The Republicans chose Romney after the 08 McCain fiasco. This last week has made it exceedingly evident. They are so hungry to maintain control they chose to be deaf to the grass roots Conservative wing. They have done so at their own Peril. Yes we will more then likely beat 0 with Romney. The Republican party however may not ultimately win. They have won the battle only to embrace the inevitable and eventual loss of the war. Folks so desperately need to get rid of 0 they are willing to table taking on the party for now in order to win in November. The Republican party is in more serious trouble then they might imagine.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

True or False!
TRUE!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Mittens glossed in gobs of blubbery dripping butterfat? no thanks

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

LOL

d1carter on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

So many silly comments here, even from Allahpundit. We’ve “come to this” because the 2008 election and the current state of popular culture has made too many people believe that presidential candidates have to be celebrities, with Roman columns and fainting “fans” at their rallies. We’ve found out what stagecraft that all was, what emptiness was behind the wizard’s curtain, but still we pine for the celebrity candidate, our own little Messiah. Grow up. Romney is a good candidate. Good Lord, listen to Newt Gingrich’s “concession” speech tonight and realize that things could be much, much, much worse. Romney will make the country discuss Barack Obama’s many failings as a leader, because Obama will not be able to change the discussion to the myriad crude and tacky family and personal “issues” our candidates of late have had. Obama’s got “rich guy” and “Mormon.” That’s it. Two attacks that will make him look small, bigoted, hypocritical, and desperate. How did it come to this? Republican voters want to win in 2012. That’s how.

Rational Thought on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

The Republican party is in more serious trouble then they might imagine.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

A lot of people here seem to confuse the Hot Air echo-chamber with The Republican Party. Tonight was the “most Republican” primary of the season and Mitt won easy. Compare that to the Hot Air survey putting Newt and Palin ahead of Mitt and Christie and realize YOU are the one who is out of touch, not everyone else.

Go RBNY on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM

You want San Fran Nan back in charge? More power to you.

I personally won’t allow that, and will work as hard as I can to avert that. With or without your help.

KingGold on January 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Nice speech, I really want to believe you mr Romney

neuquenguy on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

2008: I Believe In Harvey Dent

2012: I Want To Believe In Mitt Romney

Please don’t turn out to be a Two-Face, Willard.

Doughboy on January 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Lol.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Conservative base is about to hold their nose and nominate the first governor who enacted a healthcare mandate.

I mean com’on, you have to admit….that’s pretty HILARIOUSLY SAD

I bet you $10,000 that Romney won’t be repeating A LOT of the things that he said tonight when facing Obama in front of a larger audience. Rhetoric is one thinking, but lying (some of the things he said here are lies or skewed perception) is something that won’t fly with the media fact checking his every word and the moderators will call him on them.

This nation is going unchecked due to the GOP and the base not being able to provide a solid choice that the rest of us in the middle can rally around.

Over my grandmother’s grave, I won’t vote this year.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Romney reads a teleprompter just as well as Obowma…

… especially when he says:

“Let me be clear…!”

Oh, wait…!

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Seems straight forward enough to me.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

The results tonight defy the supposition that if only Santorum would leave the race Gingrich would be winning. Santorum is now leading in MO, where Newt is not on the ballot. Virginia is left to Paul and Romney. Tennessee I hear Santorum is doing well, but then Newt is not on the ballot there, either. Santorum is competitive in Ohio, tell me did Newt get on the ballot there?

So tell me who should be dropping out of this race, Newt? Could it be that Newt knows without Santorum dropping out before today’s vote that he had/has no chance to come close to beating the Numbers? This is why I can’t stand Newt. He has figured the numbers and knows he has no chance, unless Santorum dropped out before the Florida vote. Since that has not happened, you will see Newt stay in 3rd place and he knows it because of the states he cannot compete.

All of the states through February will go to Romney. I believe this race is really between Santorum and Romney with Newt just being one big distraction and waste of time.

Newt No Conservative Just A Bloviating Bag of Bull..

uhangtight on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

How did it come to this, my friends?

He’s not very good but the other primary candidates are worse.
He’s better than Bush1, Bush2, Dole, McCain, Ford, Nixon, Eisenhower.
But he’s not very good.
Who do you like better: Landon, Willkie, Hoover?

kunegetikos on January 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Yep, I bet there was a run on nose clips as well…

d1carter on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

250,000 fewer voters seems like a significant number. Republican members of Congress should be nervous.

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Romney……….Obama with money.

ROMNEYBAMA 2012!!!

PappyD61 on January 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I would say it came to this because the same tactics that has allowed the Democrats to control the direction of the country for the last 95 plus years was used by Romney.

Politics of personal destruction. Politics of carpet bombing. Politics of SH#T THE F#CK #P! Politics of division. I got to hand it to Romney, I really did not think he had it in him back in October, even when I knew I would never vote for him. Somewhere inside the man, I thought there was some moderation of conservative. I have to hand it to the voters, I have been wavering in my respect for the voters, but somewhere in their souls, I thought that with Obama in office they would tune in and look for the positive message, but again, they fell into the progressive traps of all of the above politics and refused to weight for a moment the politics of policies.

Politics of personal destruction. As the Democrats have always done and did to Newt Gingrich in the 1990s, Romney picked up their banner and rode into town blaring about the false ethics violations charges and doubled down on knowing how utterly uninformed the voters would remain on the subject went on to say he resigned in disgrace. Never mind not one charge stuck, never mind that Newt stepped down from office the day after winning an easy 11 term in congress. Politics of personal destruction won the day in the minds of the voters.

$15,000,000 in nothing but negative advertizing, all of it targeting one man. The politics of carpet bombing is Romney’s way. He has the money, if you did not know. He used less than 0.5% of his money to tell the people why they should vote for him, instead it was all used to scare the people into not voting for Newt. When you have no message, destroy your opponents. It seems almost every aspect of the supposed movement conservative blogosphere got caught up in the carpet bombing hey days. I wonder how that could have possibly happened? Every single outlet we have suddenly found Romney to be the person to move America to towards constitutionalism as they say they want?

The politics of SHUT THE F#CK UP as always employed by the progressives is something conservatives typically try to avoid so as to remain morally good and honorable. All that carpet bombing was not enough, nope, they then turned to building straw men for every attack leveled on Romney. You say Bain, we say anti-capitalist, and since we are all for capitalism, that is code for shut up! This was not the only aspect of it, but it was the first aspect of it. I was immediately appalled by it, because I know how to spot logical fallacies, but the vast majority here on HA, the Media, pretty much everyone jumped on the straw man of anti-capitalist!

Then they started with the politics of division. RacistAnti-Mormon-Bigot is the new code word for non supporters of Romney. Anti-capitalist is the code word for non supporters of Romney. Divide and conquer. What group uses that strategy?

I still believed in the electorate, I no longer do. I thought they would not be so easily manipulated by the progressive strategies they built up an immunity to when it came from the Democratic party and the Main Stream Media. But they bought it up faster than Dow Corning buying up Mitt Romney’s blood money pumping medical testing company right before it was fined $105M in criminal damages and subsequently went bankrupt.

Guess this leaves us with a center left nation, and I am wondering if this is really the will of the people or the will of a select few who profit from the status quo of a government lunging towards bankruptcy. I hope Newt stays in until the convention, I do not see why he would not. I further hope the party remains divided for the duration, that Romney is unable to collect large amounts of donations, and that those who picked Romney because of his money advantage of today, his media advantage of today and his fully endorsed by established big government beneficiaries get the lesson they need to learn in November 2012.

The Republican party has done something it never will be able to get away from today. Allowed the Obaminization of the Republican party to become reality. We are now officially as despicable as the Democrats when it comes to public debate.

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Has the much-awaited Moon Colony absentee vote come in yet?

Newt 2001!

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Good speech. Gingrich has one person to blame. He sees him every time he brushes his teeth.

paul1149 on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Go RBNY on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Sorry for your confusion. I never claimed to be a mainstream party lockstep guy. Glad your happy with your position. The HA polls reflect the HA members nothing more.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

oldmans on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I thought it was worth re-posting.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Politics of personal destruction. Politics of carpet bombing. Politics of SHUT THE F^CK UP! Politics of division. I got to hand it to Romney, I really did not think he had it in him back in October, even when I knew I would never vote for him. Somewhere inside the man, I thought there was some moderation of conservative. I have to hand it to the voters, I have been wavering in my respect for the voters, but somewhere in their souls, I thought that with Obama in office they would tune in and look for the positive message, but again, they fell into the progressive traps of all of the above politics and refused to weight for a moment the politics of policies.

The politics of SHUT THE F^CK UP as always employed by the progressives is something conservatives typically try to avoid so as to remain morally good and honorable. All that carpet bombing was not enough, nope, they then turned to building straw men for every attack leveled on Romney. You say Bain, we say anti-capitalist, and since we are all for capitalism, that is code for shut up! This was not the only aspect of it, but it was the first aspect of it. I was immediately appalled by it, because I know how to spot logical fallacies, but the vast majority here on HA, the Media, pretty much everyone jumped on the straw man of anti-capitalist!

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

your=you’re

Sorry I’m tired.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Don’t ever talk to me about conservatism. It’s a myth.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Right, but how? How is this our “best” option?

Allahpundit on January 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Ugh, why are you even asking this question, you are perpetually dissatisfied AP (I feel for your girlfriend/wife)?

Romney is the best option. How? Because of Mitt’s strength, intelligence, competency, kindness, vision and integrity. Mitt Romney can beat Obama and he will be a great POTUS.

Congratulations on a great speech and a great win Governor Romney. Off to donate to his campaign :)

sheryl on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

how’d it come to this?…..good friggin question.

where are our statesmen. Mitt hangs off in the shadows and fears his own.

Feh, FEH! I say!!

ted c on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I hope you do realize that based on every single recount, Bush beat Gore in Florida.(Yes, but my point was that it was sooooo close, and Bush’s brother was governor which should have made it not close.)it was Bush defeated Kerry in Florida. Obama beat McCain in a very democratic year. Florida is not a liberal state.(Neither is it a conservative state. It is a swing state and is just as likely to vote for a liberal as a moderate) In fact, this was the first closed primary of the season so far and it looks like Romney will get more votes than Newt and Santorum combined. Nice try.(So, Mitt gets more votes than the two conservative candidates combined. Although only by 1%. So, here again, it is not indicative of his winning a conservative state or even getting a majority of the conservative votes. So, I repeat, this race is not over.)
GOPRanknFile on January 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM

they lie on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Congratulations Governor Romney.

And g2825m, if you read this, you’ve put forth yeoman’s effort in support of your candidate. And you did it politely with facts about Romney’s record, not insults against your fellow HA posters. Congratulations to you, too, sir. You deserve it.

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM

You think I could learn to be like that?
Um…I would like to be polite to progressives and not be insulting and learn to…
Naaaaaaah!…I’m to old to learn!
There are too many progressives, that need insults!
Their DNA requires it!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Once a person quits lying to themselves about

Romneycare being beamed down straight from the Reagan-mothership Heritage, lest insurance companies not get cut out, and

That Reagan and Bush 2 are the Presidents who took so many voters off the income tax rolls, logrolling with the Dems for high-end tax cuts

you realize Mitt’s not nearly the loser it is popular to claim.

kunegetikos on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

… and you might just get the idea Romney doesn’t really have a plan to enact when he reaches his goal. He just figures he’ll have to come up with one after he takes office.

rogaineguy on January 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Romney has been running for president for so long now that I get the distinct impression that should he actually win, he’ll spend the first few days asking his advisors “Now what do I do?’

PatriotGal2257 on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

2012 will be a great year. Mitt Romney will become the next president, the Cubs will win the world series, and Elvis will finally come out of hiding to play Madison Square Garden

davemason2k on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Seems straight forward enough to me.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Just me agreeing to every word…totally!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

KingGold on January 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Mike Castle is puttering around his garden these days, maybe you could talk him into running again, Congress needs more stalwart conservatives.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

There is a lot of truth to your comment. I will have to take the discenting position on the Nation being center-left. My take is that in desperation to remove 0 knowing there is no chance to screw it up,folks are nervous and want to proceed with their idea of the surest bet to beat 0. The other fight must come second to removing 0.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Actually Ronald Reagan, conservative icon, enacted a federal healthcare mandate when he signed the EMTLA in 1986.

sheryl on January 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

discenting=dissenting

So tired.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I knew that. You and I are on the same page on many points of view.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

+10,000

they lie on January 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Go RBNY on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Was that it from you? Am I free to roam about the other threads now?

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM

sheryl on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Oh … that’s what it’ll take to beat a back stabbing corrupt liar who will do anything … anything to win and has the entire media behind him?

darwin on January 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM

So we expect to put this man with no charisma and robotic personality against a man who can give speeches to perfection?

social-justice on January 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM

You guys can keep on repeating your meme that Romney looks like a Ken Doll and is weak. You do not get to be the successful head of a top private equity/ venture capital company by being a push over. He would not come to have the kind of money he has by being weak or naive. The dust off of Newt gives you a hint of how Romney will be in the General Election.

galtani on January 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I was severely injured by a mitten showing callous disregard for my well being. It dropped a banana peel on the sidewalk causing me to slip and fall into the street. I was promptly run over by a Nissan Leaf rendering me quadriplegic…I’m typing with my tongue. Bloodied on the street as I drifted out of consciousness, the last thing I remember was it laughing with it’s hoodlum mitten friends.

down with Mittens.

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM

It’s come to this because Americans have been too willing to trust that their politicians would take care of them. Remember when JFK said this: “My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you — ask what can you do for your country.”

That was a different America. Even liberals, at least publicly, believed in personal responsibility back then. Now the rot is deep even in the Republican party.

I’ll vote ABO now, but if America survives to 2016, I’ll look strongly at third party.

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM

It’s unlikely that anyone could beat the billion-dollar O machine and with nearly the entire media acting as committee-to-reelect-the-president.

But if somehow Mitt does that, I suspect he will be tolerably good.

kunegetikos on January 31, 2012 at 11:06 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Why is this such a big deal to people? Nixon ran and lost in 1960 and came back and won in 1968. Reagan ran in 1976 and lost, and came back and won in 1980. It’s arguable that Reagan was running for President nonstop from the 1964 convention until he finally won 16 years later.

rockmom on January 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM

How did it come to this, my friends?

Romney is the superior candidate. He is the more electable candidate. And all the pointless jokes, the paranoia, the chicken little cringing, and the pathetic whining and childish tantrums, you people will recognize it, too. You wanted a fight and you got one. And now you don’t like it? It’s time for you to grow up.

cicerone on January 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Your senses are dull. Romney is not the one with the problem, you are. And all the anti-Romney paranoids who are finding it increasingly difficult to sound rational.

cicerone on January 31, 2012 at 11:09 PM

KingGold on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Well, regardless if he stays in or not, the race is likely to be presumed over very soon. Whats going to happen, is that Romney is very likely to run the table during February. With even a few additional wins you’ll see less stringent Not-Romney voters peeling off to support him. After all, he’s listed as the second choice for many Santorum and Gingrich voters. Voters that have concluded that these candidates have lost are very likely to line up behind Romney.

Yes I know, this may not make any sense to many of you, but its how human psychology works. We want to root for somebody, invariably most of us look for traits to like. This is why Obama’s approvals keep creeping back up slowly after each and every single time he gets knocked down.

That doesn’t mean it’ll happen overnight, and some never will, but thats normal.

WolvenOne on January 31, 2012 at 11:09 PM

cicerone on January 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I do not have a problem with there being a fight. The only issue I have is how everyone that is supposed to be on the side of conservatism are fighting like they are born again fanatic progressives for Romney and against everyone else.

God I really hate to admit that Perry, Cain supporters were probably right. Well, I do not have so much problem admitting that Perry supporters might have been right, he may earn my vote next election cycle… Cain on the other hand, that hurts, it hurts deep.

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM

cicerone on January 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Romney is the superior candidate in an entire field of losers…oh why can’t I stop whining and get on the Mittens express?

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:12 PM

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

In other words, Newt’s wildly flapping gums gummed up his own prospects.

He used wildly negatives ads, as well, ~as every campaign since those against Thomas Jefferson have.

It’s as old as politics.

If you can’t take the heat, get a moonpie.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

sheryl on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

He also speaks a foreign language, which is always helpful.

a capella on January 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

+10,000

they lie on January 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM

–100,000

Crybabies.

gotsig on January 31, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Obama is waiting for the cow in the slaughter house.

social-justice on January 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM

No, I won’t say it…

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

looooooool :-)

jimver on January 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Has the much-awaited Moon Colony absentee vote come in yet?

Newt 2001!

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

loool :-) I guess it’s your night tonight :-)…

jimver on January 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM

galtani on January 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Manipulative backstabber?

Romney won’t be better than Obama as a manipulative backstabber. Certainly not when the entire MBM (Make Believe Media) support Obama and push attacks on Romney. Romney’s only hope, other than the economy gets so bad that even a turkey could win against Obama, is to argue for a convincing alternative vision for America, which is something that Romney has never effectively done. In spite of everything, this election is for Obama to lose, not Romney to win.

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Somebody reminded me today that there are other states After Florida. Are there?

portlandon on January 31, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Virginia :)

Al Gore with less personality. Thanks you guys

Southernblogger on January 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Al Gore won Remember? I have no problem seeing Romney winning because of 500 votes in Florida, Actually Obama can have the popular vote, WE want 271 of the electoral votes

That’s all

OrthodoxJew on January 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM

That my friend is a very thoughtful thing to say. Kudos to you for that.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM

My glove profits were through the roof before mittens came along.

down with Mittens.

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM

rockmom on January 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Nixon and Reagan had actual policy positions and philosophical ideas that they formulated on their own after considerable research and thought. Romney doesn’t give the impression that he’s able to think about anything deeply, with conviction and to stick to it. It’s almost as if it would be most beneficial to be the last person to talk with him, as that may be the particular viewpoint he considers most out of all of them.

PatriotGal2257 on January 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM

In other words, Newt’s wildly flapping gums gummed up his own prospects.

It’s as old as politics.

If you can’t take the heat, get a moonpie.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

It is the style of debate. Now that we have rewarded this style of debate, it will remain a part of our culture. Why do the democrats always move further and further out of the mainstream of American culture? Because no dissenting views are allowed, and that is exactly the style of debate the ENTIRE supposed conservative movement media engaged in against Newt. No and I mean NOT ONE SINGLE ANGLE OF ATTACK WAS CONSIDERED VALID FOR NEWT. every single line of attack was valid for the chosen and anointed one. That will have consequences. We have essentially empowered the progressives to run on our side as of today.

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM

That’s all

OrthodoxJew on January 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM

And Gore had a very good economic record to run on.

Obama… not so frikkin’ much.

Plus Solyndra.

Fast And Furious.

The Muslim Brotherhood and its malignant clones taking over the “Arab Spring” movement.

Iran nearing a nuke.

Europe scrambling to bail out its freeloaders on fiat money.

A moribund housing market.

Millions of foreclosures.

A flatlined savings and investment rate.

A de facto 10% unemployment level.

Obama is a sick fish circling in a small barrel.

All Romney needs to do is relentlessly fire at his every folly.

The incompetent idiocies Obama has foisted on the nation since schmoozing his way into office on a massive White Guilt fest paired with the raging Bush Dementia backlash.

Bush is now a dim electoral memory and Barry’s whites [sic] are over their kneejerk guilt spasm.

Mitt can beat Barry like a cheap throw rug if he has the stones.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 11:20 PM

We just have to see how the General Election will play out. What I was saying is that Romney is not an easy push over choirboy. He lived in the corporate jungle at one point and did not get skinned.

galtani on January 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Romney’s FRACKED, if the economy is worse in November! Obama get’s to say,” Bush and his buddies fracked the economy, and then Romney and his bankster cronies DID IT AGAIN!” If you think Obama is not going to take that line of attack, then , you are a political virgin. Almost NO vetting of Romney has been done yet! There are Bain skeletons in Romney’s closet that are damaging.

bigmike on January 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM

bigmike on January 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM

bankster has to be the dumbest piece of Occupy lexicon. Look guys! It’s a mix of banker and gangster! We’re clever.

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM

cicerone on January 31, 2012 at 11:09 PM

No, Romney’s going to have a few problems against Obama that I frankly don’t think he’s prepared to deal with.

That being said, if he’s the nominee, I will vote for him. Reluctantly and with resignation.

PatriotGal2257 on January 31, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Right, but how? How is this our “best” option?

Allahpundit on January 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM

How? Because maybe your idea of what the “best” option is is flat out wrong.

Indeed. I just don’t see how people can keep thinking he’s going to have a cakewalk defeating Obama. I can come up with 10 devastating ads against him right off the top of my head, and I’m not nearly as invested in doing so as the Obama camp will be. I fear for the future of my country.

cynccook on January 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Nobody, including Romney, thinks he is going to have a cakewalk against Obama. Did you think Bachman, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, Santorum, or Paul would have a cakewalk? And for every 10 devastating ads Obama can put up against Romney, Romney can put up 20 against Obama. Stop being such a whiny weakling.

The Establishment. The machine. Have you not been paying attention? /

changer1701 on January 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Yeah, the Establishment wants to lose and be relegated to permanent outsider status. More profits to be made railing against the libs or something. Grow up.

Barf… 2008 redo.

CantCureStupid on January 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM

No, because Romney won’t pick a Palin as VP.

Anyone worth a damn didn’t want to run against the Obama Machine?

portlandon on January 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM

You mean like Barbour, Christie, Pawlenty, or Daniels? Jesus.

social-justice on January 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Have you listened to Obama’s speeches lately? His last good one was his victory speech in 2008.

No he’s not, he’s simply has a lot of money, he’s a weak front runner.

No first stringer wanted to run against Obama, they know it’s going to be a scorched earth campaign, financed with lots of MONEY. They aren’t interested in being called a racist from now until kingdom come.

It’s simply Mitt’s turn next.

Dr Evil on January 31, 2012 at 10:29 PM

So the guy with lots of money who’s not afraid of Obama and his “scorched earth campaign”, and who is not in it to sell books, and who is not afraid of religious or racial attacks, moves to front runner status, and he’s a putz? That’s some fantastic political analysis there, Doc.

Romney gave a decent, CEO’s speech tonight. Gingrich, trying to sound inspirational, sounded drunk and desperate. After four years of Hope and Change, of the transformative Presidency, America is looking for a competent technocrat. That’s why this is Romney’s moment.

Mr. Arkadin on January 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Santorum scored strongly against both Newt and Mitt in the last debate using just the tactics you prefer -with his critique of their support of the insurance mandate. He won the debate on that point.

If he were a better overall candidate it would have helped him into the lead, but his stylistic and ideological flaws are even less appealing to the popular votership than Newt’s, plus he’s a rhetorical dullard, which doesn’t work in national politics.

SEE: Huntsman, et al.

You need some fire.

However, Newt is at the pyromaniac end of that scale, which doesn’t play out well in the long haul. (Scaring Jewish Floridians with robocalls about Mitt denying kosher meals to Holocaust survivors is as nuts a hyperbole attack as it has gotten in this race, thus far, ~sadly a Newt-ist ploy.)

Bomb-throwing eventually wears out your arm and people’s patience.

Obama will need to be beaten with his own shabby, stupid record of non-accomplishments, his dead economy, his bogus “green” b.s. and his recent witless blocking of jobs creating endeavors like the Keystone Pipelene, etc.

It can be done.

Romney will have to avoid arousing sympathy for “the poor mocha guy” and run an “issues” and “record” campaign to win.

We need to eject Barack and his moronocracy and get in a more conservative Congress to rein-in Mitt’s moderate-liberal tendencies.

I hope it can be done.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Presumptive.

Don’t fear it. Embrace it.

This election is about defeating Obama; not defining conservatism. I love Malkin and Palin. They know what conservatism looks like. But if Romney is the best (not the ideal), we have to go with it and take our country back.

Romney is better than McCain. Romney is better than Obama. Romney has the warchest.

Get in line.

the_souse on January 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Not sure when the entire concept of American Exceptionalism became typical Romney boilerplate and I’m not sure, even if that is the case, why someone would deride that? The entire Reagan legacy is built on American Exceptionalism. Romney’s trying to mirror those themes. But I guess, since he’s not a truuuuueee conservative, it doesn’t count.

Matthew on January 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM

bigmike on January 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Where bankster originated I don’t know. What I do know is that bankster was commonly used in the wake of the stock market crash of 1929.

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I hope it can be done.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

He cannot do it.

Well, We can attack Obama on Obamacare! Um, Romney, you authored the blueprint for Obamacare. Every aspect of it from must issue, mandate or tax fine, state exchanges, using medicare dollars to support it, to it driving deficit spending for your state for as far as the eye can see.

Well, we can attack Obama on Jobs! 47th out of 50 in the nation in job creation. Romney did not help Massachusetts create any jobs.

Well, Obama has been the least transparent administration in history, we can certainly attack him on that! Romney Suggests He Destroyed Emails To Hide Them From ‘Opposition Research’ He essentially bought the hard drives from his government computers and destroyed the data. Data created using tax payer dollars doing tax payers work on tax payers computers and he thinks he has a right to that information and the tax payers do not?

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM

The term “bankster” has been around some fringe left and libertarian sites for years. The only clever thing the Occupy movement did was call themselves the Occupy movement. Everything else they’ve done has been recycled from previous movements. Since I’m old enough to remember the protests of the 60′s, I knew where this was going.

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Well, what about energy, we can obviously attack Obama on energy! Well, like Obama on the pipeline, Romney allowed the environmentalists talk him out of allowing energy production in his own state, shutting down the Cape Wind Project. He call for carbon sequestration, implemented the first in the nation cap and trade program, called coal power generation plants people killers. Going to be hard to differentiate between Obama and Romney here.

Romney will appoint better judges than Obama! Dream on. Romney prides himself on creating the first in the nation political free nomination process, something he was not required to do, and ended up appointing only 9 out of 36 judgeship’s to Republicans. 23 went to out right democrats or their supporters and 4 did not show any political activities. He might not pick out and out progressives, but he most certainly seems to be willing to appoint closet progressives such as David H. Souter.

Well, we can attack him on the Auto Bailouts. Yeah, that will work out swell! I think he said that Obama did the same thing with the auto bailouts as he did at Bain.

There is not going to be one thing that Romney can fight Obama on and win. Point by point by point, Obama and the media will destroy every single attack Romney tries to lodge. Because Romney has already proven that he is just exactly like Obama!

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Get in line.

the_souse on January 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM

nah.

Thompson/Jindal 2012

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I hope it can be done.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

He cannot do it…

astonerii on January 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Pre-defeated is so 2008.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 11:55 PM

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

It was super clever then too :)

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Romney / Thune is going to be a killer ticket.

ak90049 on January 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I need some help here. A large number of HA posters keep saying that the Establishment GOP Bigwigs (as yet unnamed) hand-picked Romney to be the GOP candidate.

How is that possible when the common people in these states are doing the actual voting? The winner isn’t chosen behind closed doors by a small cadre of party bosses. No, each candidate wins because registered voters in these states are chooseing the candidates in the polling booth!

So far, this is what I see:
a) When “my” candidate wins, the people have chosen.
b) When “your” candidate wins, the party establishment made the choice.

I’m sorry, you can’t have it both ways. So, you don’t like any of the candidates? That’s because “your” candidate either didn’t run or has dropped out because they didn’t get enough votes. What you have left is the person getting the most votes in the caucuses and primaries.

As I see it you have 4 choices from this point forward:
a) Stay home in the general, as I’m seeing people on here post. Great, Obama wins.
b) Give no support to the GOP candidate, also being said here. Great, Obama wins.
c) Hold your nose and vote and give no financial support for the GOP candidate. Great, Obama wins.
d) Accept that the GOP voters in the caucuses and primaries chose the GOP standard-bearer for this cycle, so you go out and campaign, give money, and vote for the GOP candidate. This gives us a better than 50-50 chance to take the White House.

One, and only one, choice above defeats Obama. Put on your big boy or girl panties and go serve your country! Stop whining like the Occupiers and take action. Make the Tea Party a power group that elects strong conservative House and Senate members. Congress makes the laws – the president signs them. Make it a GOP president!

SubDoc on February 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Gingrich is toxic.

He really is.

Here’s my hope: Gingrich’s backer decided that a 14 point loss to Mitt Romney is a bridge too far. Newt then runs out of cash and “Winning Our Future” ads.

Que the Romney/Santorum fight.

On the plus side, Newt Gingrich dropped a TON of Obama ammo very early, giving Mitt a chance to respond and strengthen his argument. When Mitt speaks at the debates and in his victory speeches, I can at least hear some level of human passion in him. If he keeps it up, he will win.

Maybe this was Newt’s plan all along, knowing he never had a chance but nonetheless doing everything he could to save the republic from an unprepared, arrogant Mitt Romney.

Granted what goes on in the primary isn’t guaranteed to happen in the general, but I’m hoping somewhere in some dream world that Gingrich drops out tomorrow, endorses Santorum, and the real battle begins.

BKennedy on February 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

…and there is wailing and gnashing of teeth in the pit!

Oracleforhire on February 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

they chose to be deaf to the grass roots Conservative wing

The wing needs a candidate who doesn’t suck. It’s not complicated.

kunegetikos on February 1, 2012 at 12:02 AM

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

It was super clever then too :)

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Steinbeck also thought it was clever because he appropriated it for The Grapes of Wrath.

flyfisher on February 1, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Get in line.

the_souse on January 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM

nah.

Thompson/Jindal 2012

DHChron on January 31, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Listen all the way through now. Both of ya.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM

…and there is wailing and gnashing of teeth in the pit!

Oracleforhire on February 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Is this what Hell looks like?

Gladtobehere on February 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM