Video: Gingrich’s kinda sorta concession speech

posted at 10:41 pm on January 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

Yeah, I’m thinking that a guy who’s quoting the Declaration of Independence in his final lines probably isn’t thinking of conceding the race anytime soon. BuzzFeed has a copy of his campaign’s official post-election talking points, but you don’t really need those to grasp the takeaway here. One line: “It is now clear that this will be a two-person race between the conservative leader, Newt Gingrich, and the Massachusetts moderate, and the voters of Florida made that clear.” In other words, Santorum’s dead on arrival (even though he polls better against Romney than Newt does), so it’s time for conservatives to consolidate behind the only remaining viable Not Romney in the field. Honestly, that’s probably the most compelling reason for his candidacy going forward. Good for him, I guess, for identifying it.

If you’re wondering why the post about the concession speech is going up after the victory speech, it’s because Newt apparently refused to call Romney to concede tonight and decided to wait him out. Terrific. Exit quotation from Larry Sabato: “None of the February contests are good for Gingrich. Caucuses, by their very nature, reward long, detailed planning and considerable resources to gin up turnout. Translation: They are tailor-made for Romney and Paul.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Well, spasiba, Igor.

cynccook on February 1, 2012 at 2:21 AM

PS Even if you are just a sockpuppet zombie from outer space…

cynccook on February 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM

The only reason to support Newt after this is the hate of Mormons.

petunia on February 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Somebody needs to be netted for her own protection.

SparkPlug on February 1, 2012 at 12:30 AM

That one has a fish hook in the mouth already!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I’m sorry, came in late.

WHOSE “sacred honor” did he pledge, again? Because if the last 35 years have proved anything at all, it is that Newt Gingrich has no honor.

This isn’t news. Did you just fall off the turnip truck? Come through a tunnel near El Paso? SPEAKA DA ENGLISH?

Well, if not, you should know this stuff. The guy’s a grade A jerk who is exactly as conservative as my anus smells of floral oils: only as much as absolutely necessary! And when he’s got what he wanted from conservatives, we get the dagger in the back with a twist.

Newt was experienced at it long before John McCain ever thought of it, yet some conservatives hate McCain but worship Newt almost as much as he adores himself.

Adjoran on February 1, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Where is the post pointing out that Florida women abandoned Newt as completely as he dumped wives 1 and 2.

Now, if we could just get him to pack his carpet bag, we in Georgia could be rid of him once and for all.

Snake307 on February 1, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Republican majority decides the way to beat Barack Obama is to offer a WASP with Cayman Island and Swiss bank accounts. HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH!

FACE PALM!

wtng2fish on February 1, 2012 at 3:31 AM

The only reason to support Newt after this is the hate of Mormons.

petunia on February 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM

The only reason to not support Obama is that your a racist.

You are as disgusting as the liberals. Be ashamed. But your not- you enjoy the card don’t you? I love me some hypocrite loons.

bazil9 on February 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Snake307 on February 1, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Funny but all the women in my family voted here for Newt- the men for Mitt. We aren’t the poll average but whatever.

bazil9 on February 1, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Check this out!

dom89031 on February 1, 2012 at 4:58 AM

What eventually HA posters who dislike Romney will figure out is that of Romney’s 771,000 votes is that most of those voters are conservatives just like myself who believe in the 2nd Amendment, are pro-life, want low taxes, a strong Nat’l defense, border fence, English as the official language, drill in ANWR, drill in the Rocky Mtn states and offshore, open up trade to countries that believe in the free enterprise system, Tea Party members, etc AND WE VOTE FOR ROMNEY!

Some on here think they have conservatism cornered for themselves and do not think that the above person does not exist. Well, 771K people just voted and showed they exist and WANT ROMNEY! So enough with the RINO MITTBOT talk as we are as conservative as you and believe the same!

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 5:19 AM

One other point…I LIKE Palin BUT her support of Gingrich is just head scratching to me as she should KNOW his past record as I do having LIVED through it that he does not represent TEA Party values which I SUPPORT…she will eventually, if she continues down this path, will make herself irrelevant to the MAJORITY of the party. What she does NOT realize is she is hurting HER IMAGE and FUTURE SUPPORT more than she is HELPING GINGRICH. Agree or disagree?

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 5:23 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 5:19 AM

I left this for you in another thread, but I’ll post it here in case you didn’t see it.

Congratulations Governor Romney.

And g2825m, if you read this, you’ve put forth yeoman’s effort in support of your candidate. And you did it politely with facts about Romney’s record, not insults against your fellow HA posters. Congratulations to you, too, sir. You deserve it.

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM

I was just looking at the CNN exit poll. What I’m seeing is that this election is all about getting rid of Obama. I hope he and Axelrod are sweating bullets right about now.

Most Important Candidate Quality

Can Defeat Obama (45%) – Gingrich 33%, Romney 58%

True Conservative (14%) – Gingrich 44%, Romney 11%

Strong Moral Character (17%) – Gingrich 8%, Romney 46%

Right Experience (21%)Gingrich 45%, Romney 40%

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 AM

good morning HA :)

so mitt won and newt will plow through

i do wish he called mitt though, stay a little classy there newt…

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 5:54 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Hey Flora-
how were the lines last night for you?

and you’re darn tootin’ its all about getting rid of dear leader and the libs think it’s all racial, nothing about his failed policies, it’a all racial

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Although it is right to excoriate Romney on a significant amount of issues, Newt is tedious and vain glorious. At least Romney had the sense to direct fire at Obama as a way to garner further support whereas Newt shifted to over the top histrionics, as usual.

rob verdi on February 1, 2012 at 6:09 AM

how were the lines last night for you?

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Besides my husband and I, at 6pm there was one other person. I do live in a rather small town, but it was disheartening. From what I’m seeing, the turnout in FL was a great deal less than it was in 2008.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Most Important Candidate Quality

Can Defeat Obama (45%) – Gingrich 33%, Romney 58%

True Conservative (14%) – Gingrich 44%, Romney 11%

Strong Moral Character (17%) – Gingrich 8%, Romney 46%

Right Experience (21%) – Gingrich 45%, Romney 40%

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 5:45 AM

this can defeat obama mindset is BS. why to defeat obama if the same policies are to be implemented. just to have a R before the president name? the hell with that.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 6:11 AM

morning joe-dear leader ran more negative ads than anyone in history and the lsm covered him….mika sure didn’t like that

ha

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 6:14 AM

I hope there is going to be more ron paul stuff from now on, or else I think i going to tune off. the florida campaing reminded me again what I hate more in politics.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 6:14 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Mitt has run in 35 elections (primaries caucuses and 2 generals) He has received a majority of the vote … ONCE. In the 2008 MI primary (51%)

2 weeks ago, he was running away with FL
CNN/Time 1/13 – 1/17 Romney +24
Sunshine State News/VSS 1/11 – 1/14 Romney +26
Rasmussen Reports 1/11 – 1/11 Romney +22

After 2 weeks and 12 million in ads … including 7,878 negative (mostly dishonest) slime ads in just the past 7 days (+1 positive ad run 16 times in Spanish … want to be fair after all.) He wins by 14 points. Losing 10 pts net in just 18 days. Again, he wins with less than a majority in the race.

This is your champion? This is the guy you want? A guy who spent the two weeks telling you why you should NOT vote for the other guy and barley mentioned any reason to vote for him?

I’m at a loss to explain the sheepish nature of my conservative brethren. And yes, I believe that you believe Mitt is conservative. Problem is he is not. And provably not.

I’ve said it before … when you are on the wrong track headed for a cliff … the answer isn’t just t slow the train down. It is to navigate it to a completely different track heading in a completely different direction.

Obama = Full speed ahead off the cliff.
Romney = Slow the journey down to 5MPH
Gingrich = Stop the train, run it off the track if necessary and get it on the right track ASAP. Then open up the throttle and let her run free.

I choose option 3.

MarkCasper on February 1, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:11 AM

gotcha

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 6:19 AM

rob verdi on February 1, 2012 at 6:09 AM

I just read an article on Politico that says the GOP leaders are worried that all the negative ads and name-calling that Gingrich and Romney have resorted to is damaging the party.

Gee, ya think? If they were so worried about it, why didn’t they tell both camps to knock it off weeks ago? It will be interesting to see if that’s what may have resulted in the less than stellar turn-out of voters.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Rick Santorum needs to quit. I see he’s out there claiming the results are proof he’s the only conservative candidate or something.
Rick was always a loyal GOP kind of guy. I’m beginning to think he’s helping the establishment.

Romney gave wonderful speech last night. I don’t believe a word of it.

JellyToast on February 1, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I’m wondering what ambassadorship Santorum has been promised.

JellyToast on February 1, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:23 AM

dear leader ran the most negative ads in 08 and won….we have to fight fire with fire whoever runs against him

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 6:27 AM

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Driving around my area I see more Ron Paul signs and bumper stickers than for any of the other candidates. Though my county did end up going with Romney.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:27 AM

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 6:27 AM

That’s true, and being the hypocrites that they are, this is what they’re saying this morning.

Obama campaign: Romney won Florida on negative ads

(CNN) – One day after Mitt Romney’s Florida primary win, President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign remains focused on painting the former Massachusetts governor as an unpopular Republican candidate.

In a memo addressed to interested parties and given to CNN by the campaign, deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter attributed Romney’s victory to the bombardment of negative ads run in the state by his campaign, as well as by the super PAC supportive of his candidacy, Restore Our Future.

“It’s difficult for Romney to claim Floridians voted for him rather than against his opponents, since less than one-tenth of one percent of the ads in Florida promoted Romney positively,” Cutter wrote.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:11 AM

According to a nameless fish, you are WRONG! Turnout was 100,000 more than 2008, then later it was 50,000!

Night Owl on February 1, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Romney gave wonderful speech last night. I don’t believe a word of it.

JellyToast on February 1, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I fear you are right about that. I am from PA and I think he’s going to do what they tell him to do.

Night Owl on February 1, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:33 AM

i really despise them

arghhhh
switched over to msdnc for a few minutes last night, they are going to go after character instead of touting their policies….

it already started yesterday, where the lsm covered for axlerod on his tweet about the dog…they thought it was wonderful that he made a dig at mitt….

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Night Owl on February 1, 2012 at 6:33 AM

heh. When I was a kid growing up in Ohio we used to go fishing alot. I always wondered why my Dad used to tell me that particular fish wasn’t worth taking home and to throw them back in.

I wonder no more.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:44 AM

You’re lucky. My dad didn’t tell me that, so I caught them and tried to sell them by the side of the road!

Night Owl on February 1, 2012 at 6:46 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Congratulations Governor Romney.

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM

Flora Duh,
Thank you! I attempt to present why I support Romney from a factual standpoint and avoid the name calling as some on here do. I DO believe he is the RIGHT person for what our country needs at this time. In another year and time when the economy of our country was not in the toilet I may look at a different candidate but when Romney has such a great economic mind and has turned around so MANY various businesses, Olympics, and MA gov’t ALL faced with deficits my choice has been easy.

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Romney isn’t the problem. There are those who are serious about defeating Obama in November and then there are “the depressed” anti-Romney paranoids who keep tripping over their own bizarre behavior. It’s time to grow up and show some discipline and maturity. Go ahead and cry yourself to sleep tonight and then wake up to reality tomorrow.

cicerone on January 31, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Yeah, the reality that the GOP machine, the elites and RINO’s of America are pushing and passing off a liberal RINO down our throats.. the very Father of ObamaCare. Oh… and the reality that Romney Father ObamaCare has over a thousand more delegates to go before he actually wins the nomination. Uh… but we need to just quit, lay down and suck on it.

Sure.. Father ObamaCare gave a great speech last night. If only we could believe it.
Why are you so full of hate? Where’s your love, man.

And this….

The only reason to support Newt after this is the hate of Mormons.

Newt did not even call Mitt, he did not congratulate him.

This is about a vendetta against good.

Newt and his supporters are pure evil.

This is what evil looks like–pure haterd and evil.

Today on another blog the hate was so thick that a commenter called sojouner hoped that Mitt would suffer a John Wilks Boothe moment.

This is who you people are.

Please leave this party. Please form your own.

Please.

petunia on February 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I lack the words.

Newt has a tough fight ahead. The toughest fight is not getting votes.. it’s courage to continue and the willingness to fight on. America loves underdogs. Upsets have happened before. The battles is worth continuing.

Romney just got Secret Service protection last night. Tell me that wasn’t a gift from Obama? This whole freaking show is being orchestrated but Newt can still pull this off. Another tactic to make him appear as the winner.

Newt can still win this. America is worth it.

JellyToast on February 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:27 AM

sure, people are passionate about ron paul’s libertarian ideas, and they are worth discussion. instead we have the mud fight between newt and romney. discussions about their proposals? almost nothing.
I think the main reason is that both romney and newt are fake fliflopping candidates, and any idea they put forward, they immediately get accusations of flipfloping hypocrisy. we need candidates that at least are coherent in their ideas , so the the the ideas can get properly discussed without distractions.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Romney’s CEILING is 25% !

Romney will never get more than 25% !

NEVER!/

crash72 on February 1, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Newtie’s speech was delusional and grandiose, and there were moments that I wondered about his mental stability!

This man is bat-shit crazy!!!

Poor Callista looked like she had cried her eyes out, but as Newt went on…..and on……and on……and on…..and on…..she began to look like she wished he’d just STFU.

All in all, Newt Gingrich is a fat toad, and now he’s a fat toad who is TOAST.

All you bitter enders who will cling to your delusions about this buffoonish bombast, really should have your heads examined; he’s nuts. The man is nuts.

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 6:53 AM

The next 30 days (Primaries/Caucuses) look very promising for Romney which means that Gingrich will see it slipping away from him and GO BALLASTIC on Romney even more!

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Newt can still win this. America is worth it.

JellyToast on February 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Newt Gingrich is toast; and thank God for it.

Gingrich’s mental instability became clear in Florida–as if it wasn’t abundantly clear to those of us who have known him for the past 30 years–and the central core of his character–his meanness of spirit, bitterness, anger and corruption–are now clear to most of the voters in the rest of the country when he gave that rambling, grandiose, delusional speech last night after bitterly refusing to call the winner, Mitt Romney.

Gingrich needs therapy; but honestly, therapy won’t help a man who’s central personality trait is that he’s just rotten to the core.

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM

“I pledge to you my life, my fortune, my sacred honor.”

So…that makes this the 4th time Newt has pledged his honor “til death do us part”?

Jaibones on February 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM

They keep trying to make it sound like they’re not that interested in the GOP primary or worried about Romney, well if that’s the case, Debbie Downer sure wasted a lot of tweets about it last night.

@DWStweets
Tonight Romney was successful in buying his way to victory. He & his super PAC outspent his nearest opponent by running 13,000 negative ads.

@DWStweets
With every passing GOP contest, Romney becomes weaker with key general election swing and independent voters—should he make it that far.

@DWStweets
The more voters learn about Romney’s extreme, out-of-touch positions, the less they like him or trust him to lead.

@DWStweets
That’s because Romney will say anything, take any position, and will distort any fact about his or his opponents’ record to win.

@steveschale
Startling how much down turnout was from 08, esp with FLGOP predicting record turnout just few weeks ago. Neg camp killed enthusiasm

@DWStweets
@steveschale Also reflective of the lack of enthusiasm for their field. Shows enthusiasm gap is on the Republican side.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Romney’s CEILING is 25% !

Romney will never get more than 25% !

NEVER!/

crash72 on February 1, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Dude. Please look at the polling returns from Florida, and then take an anti-anxiety pill. You’re lookin’ a little hysterical.

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM

dippity do

*shaking the head*

she’s talking about dear leader isn’t she, sure sounds alot like him

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Flora Duh,

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I might agree romney is a talented manager, but his job in MA was not that good. he increased taxes trough fees and his romneycare has many flaws.
his business record is brilliant in term of profit but horrible in carelessness regarding the workers of many of those companies.i am still waiting for some proof of those 100000 jobs mitt created.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:03 AM

“I pledge to you my life, my fortune, my sacred honor.”

Jaibones on February 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM

OH SNAP!!

Thank you jailbones. My reaction when I heard Gingrich utter the “honor” word was to laugh out loud: “What Honor!!”

I mean really. It’s the most absurd utterance of all, trying to make himself look like he’s the same as the signers of the Declaration of Independence?!! The man is psychotic.

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 7:06 AM

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM

I had to LOL at this one:

@DWStweets

Sounds like she’s defending Gingrich, doesn’t it?

She never ceases to amaze and amuse.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:03 AM

You’re not very informed are you, nathor? Try doing some research. Here’s a good place to start:

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Romney’s CEILING is 25% !

Romney will never get more than 25% !

NEVER!/

crash72 on February 1, 2012 at 6:52 AM

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM

mountain…
I think crash was being sarcastic…notice the / tag at the end of his post.

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Do they mention Charlie Black on that Romney fansite?

kingsjester on February 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM

@DWStweets

LOL Want to bet that one shows up in the next Newt commercial?

Night Owl on February 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Flora Duh,

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Nathor,
What Romney has done with all 3 different fields was brought them BACK from almost utter despair.

He put out a statement a couple of weeks ago showing how just between Staples, Domino’s, Sports Authority, the Care Center’s I cannot recall their name…but between just these 4-5 businesses came to approx 120K jobs. I believe most people have moved on from this argument though knowing Romney has created more jobs than any of the other candidates.

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Good thing the primary was yesterday instead of today or the turnout may have been less than it was. Bad storms moving in to the big bend area and along the nature coast.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 7:17 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Amen, g2825; Amen. I am calling them the “bitter-enders” –they’ll cling to their delusions til the bitter end, but they won’t take the time to read anything to inform themselves about Romney’s conservative values and policies, about his integrity and character, and they absolutely loathe seeing how his money and his organization reveal a leader who can carry a campaign to the White House in November. They’re so busy believing Newt Gingrich’s lies, they can’t see the truth; but here’s a list of conservatives who KNOW the truth:

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM

DWS…I do not know how you Floridians put up with her! Ugh

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM

@DWStweets

LOL Want to bet that one shows up in the next Newt commercial?

Night Owl on February 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I was thinking I’d love to see the pretzel twists she would use to walk it back IF Gingrich becomes the nominee. LOL

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Rommey 33
Santorum 16

White Evangelical:

Gingrich 39%
Rommey 36
Santorum 19

Your remark is belied by the facts. ;-)

The above are the core of the Republican base.

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 5:19 AM

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Well, we are almost ALL conservative and want what is best for our country. We just differ on who can make that change MORE EFFECTIVELY, however, I tire of the whole MittBot crap as if I am not a conservative and do not have the same beliefs as Santorum, Paul, or Gingrich. I believe my statement above is the difference in who or why we choose the candidates that we do…but again almost ALL of us on this site are strong conservatives.

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:24 AM

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 7:09 AM

tried to find so info on those 100000 jobs, found NONE!
about the fees, I found some apologetics on why those fees increased.
the end game is if you use fees to cover expenses that before where to be covered by taxes, without lowering the taxes, you are effectively increasing the tax load.

i leave you some quote from mitt himself on the subject:

Taxes And Fees
Romney: “Pay me more taxes!” (Tape 17)
Romney: “We’ll close loopholes for more revenue.” (Tape 67)
His fee increases were “aimed at business” and the state revenues increased “$60 million from closing loopholes
on business.” (Tape 67)
Romney explains his support for a tax on online software sales. (Tape 52)
Romney: “We will certainly grow our spending.” (Tape 50)
Romney: He has “no current plan to reduce excise taxes on cars.” (Tape 63)
Romney discusses closing tax loopholes. (Tape 52)
199
Romney says he’s “open to local taxes.” (Tape 66)
Romney: “the difference between drivers license fees and taxes are hard to determine.” (Tape 60)
Romney says he increased fees $59 million. (Tape 60)
Romney: “our own assessment of fee increases in $330 million dollars.” (Tape 75)
Romney says fees are not broad based, and that license fees are pretty close to being taxes so he didn’t raise
them. (Tape 75)
Romney doesn’t know what question about blind fee increase is about. (Tape 75)
Romney: “anytime you raise taxes, fees, etc, no question it is hard on all working people.” (Tape 75)
Romney says, “Did we have to make cuts? Of course. Raise a few fees? Absolutely!” (Tape 94)
Romney: “total increases of $16 million dollars.” (Tape 88)
Romney: “Closing loopholes will generate $70 million for the commonwealth.” (Tape 88)
Romney: “No question we have a large state government.” (Tape 88)

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Cognitive dissonance: Sacred Honor and Newt Gingrich.

Buy Danish on February 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM

DWS…I do not know how you Floridians put up with her! Ugh

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Even though I mercifully no longer live in Nancy’s Mini-Me’s district, I’m doing everything I can to replace her with Karen Harrington .

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Newt supporters………you are supporting the uglier, paunchier, older, more big idea version of BILL CLINTON!!!!!

Sad.

PappyD61 on February 1, 2012 at 7:27 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

So, Romney invested some money in some companies and he’s credited with all the jobs they created over all the years they’ve existed. ;-)

What about all the other investors? ;-) Just chopped liver, I guess. ;-)

By your measure, I am a huge job creator too! :-)

I once invested in a bankrupt company that ended up surviving and saving thousands of jobs. The company went to hire even more people over the years.

And that’s not even counting all the other companies I have invested in over the years. I never knew I was a job creator for doing so! I just considered myself an investor who gave the companies the capital they needed to expand their businesses. I consider the managers of the companies to be the job creators.

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 7:27 AM

mountainaires on February 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM

like that propaganda site would change any mind… the truth about mitt is here:
McCain-2008-Oppo-File-on-Romney.pdf

ECONOMIC ISSUES
 State spending increased at well over rate of inflation under Romney’s watch, estimated at 24% – more than
$5 billion – over Romney’s final three years.
 Under Romney, Massachusetts dramatically underperformed the rest of the nation in terms of job growth.
 Romney has been criticized by experts for failing to deliver on issues of business development and economic
growth after selling himself as the “CEO governor.”
 2006 report issued by quasi-public Massachusetts Technology Collaborative warned the state was losing its
grip as leader in “innovation economy” and that tech job was alarmingly slow.
 Romney left his successor to fill a budget deficit exceeding $1 billion.
 Romney raised state fees and taxes more than $700 million per year, according to independent experts.
 Romney raised fees by roughly $500 million in his first year alone, a figure that was highest in the nation.
 Romney quadrupled gun licensing fees and raised fees on first responders, real estate transactions, the blind,
golfers and many others.
 Massachusetts’ state and local tax burden rose more than 7% during Romney’s administration.
 Romney refused to endorse the Bush tax cuts in 2003, telling the state’s all-Democrat congressional
delegation he wouldn’t be a cheerleader for the plan.
 Romney implemented three rounds of tax changes (which he referred to as “closing loopholes”) which
increased business taxes by an estimated $400 million per year.
 Massachusetts’ corporate tax climate now ranks 47th in the nation, according to the Tax Foundation.
 Romney proposed – then backed away from – a new internet tourism tax that would levy higher taxes on
users of sites like Orbitz and Travelocity.
 Romney enrolled Massachusetts in multistate compact aiming to end moratorium on internet sales taxes.
 Romney took no position on estate tax issue in 2002 and signed 50% increase in state cremation fee, which
observers called “hidden tax on the dead.”

mitt is not the fiscal conservative i am looking for.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Lol flora :)

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

What about all the other investors? ;-) Just chopped liver, I guess. ;-)

By your measure, I am a huge job creator too! :-)

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Nice sarcasm…Jon
Romney had DIRECT involvement with these companies and like in the case with Staples actually helped them stock shelves and open up their stores. I suggest reading this article Parade Article from Staples co-founder
http://www.parade.com/news/2011/12/mitt-can-motivate-people-to-greatness.html by the Staples Co-Founder.

Also in regards to job creation, UNLESS Romney stepped in and saved the company it would not be around. In your case if YOU did not show up to work or invest the company would continue on. :o)

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:43 AM

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I know you watch Moaning Joe, but do you switch between them and CNN? I’m seeing tweets that Romney was on there and supposedly said,

“I’m not concerned about the very poor … We will hear from the Democrat Party the plight of the poor.”

I hope this is just someone’s very bad attempt at humor.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

link to that statement?
as you put it, its very deceiving because it does not account all the jobs mitt destroyed during its carrier. not only on the companies that went bankrupt, but also on companies that do outsourcing. for example, least two Bain Capital companies – Stream International and Modus Media – focused on outsourced technical support services, expanding facilities abroad while contracting operations in the United States. details here

I am sure the dems will research just how much jobs did mitt exactly created. i will not be surprised if the number ends up being negative.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Good.

The time for debate is over. The candidates now need to move on to pay per view mud wrestling.

CorporatePiggy on February 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Probably the same as Ann Coulter on Beck’s radio show yesterday trying to explain how RomneyCare isn’t the same as ObamaCare. I was getting really confused. Glen is for Santorum. Coulter is for Romney, they both really hate Newt so they spent some time ridiculing him. And then Glen did a commerical for FreedomWorks, who if I’m not mistaken is anti-establishment. Made me glad I’m just an anonymous internet person and I’ll never have to explain my remarks in the future!

Night Owl on February 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM

mitt is not the fiscal conservative i am looking for.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:34 AM

nathor…
I give you Reagan’s look at Fees as Romney did. Remember how else are you going to close a 3Billion Dollar deficit that by law you have to balance that State budget? We are facing the same situation and everyone better wake up to that reality or we will be like Greece, Portugal, Italy, Ireland, etc

- Fees:
Reagan: “Good tax policy decrees that wherever possible a fee for a service should be assessed against those who directly benefit from that service. Our highways were built largely with such a user fee — the gasoline tax. I think it makes sense to follow that principle in restoring them to the condition we all want them to be in.”
Reagan: “These taxes and fees will raise approximately $1 billion per year over the next five years, which should provide adequate, stable, and equitable financing for the program. I strongly believe that funds used to pay for the program should be generated entirely through these dedicated sources, not the general treasury.”
Reagan: “The third component of the deficit reduction program involves user fees, or more appropriately, the recovery of costs borne by the taxpayers generally, but that predominantly benefit a limited group of businesses, communities or individuals … it is simply inexcusable and intolerable that yacht owners escape without paying even a small part of the Coast Guard services; or that commercial and general aviation are not paying the cost of the air traffic control system that ensures their safety; or that ship and barge operators do not pay a fair share of the costs of waterways maintained by the Federal Government. Our user fee package corrects these and similar shortcomings in current budget policy and will contribute significantly toward reducing the deficit.”

Romney raised fees because HE HAD TO as the state had its LARGEST deficit ever and he brought the economy back and left a 2 Billion surplus that was later blown by the Dem Legislature and Gov.

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I didn’t catch the interview flora, I usually listen/watch the first 45 minutes of MJ before I head off for work…..will the lsm go 24/7 viral on that

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Gingrich needs to shut-up and go home (to VA where he doesn’t have the smarts to get on the ballot). The “46 States to Go” statement doesn’t apply to him since he didn’t qualify in at least Missouri and Virginia. This guy doesn’t have the grace to call the winner of the NH and FL primaries, although Romney called him after Gingich’s SC win. Further proof that Gingrich is no better than Obama, and is a moral low-life.

lhuffman34 on February 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM

As the ONLY true CONSERVATIVE in the race, Rick Santorum is the best choice, by far, and the only candidate who can TRUTHFULLY distinguish himself from obama – Santorum is the only candidate who can beat obama.

Gingrich should drop out before he embarrasses himself further (and of course, so that we don’t have to listen to his whining any more).

Pork-Chop on February 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Jennifer Rubin tells us why Newt lost: He’s not a very lovable person. He’s not even a likable person.

Philly on February 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

link to that statement?

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Nathor,
I do not have the “link” as per my environment where I am at (Eastern Hemisphere-Hindu Kush) however, go to mittromney.com as I know they have brought the issue up or Google it. This “issue” is not really an “issue” people are concerned about as we know HE created jobs MORE than were ever downsized through creative destruction. Google that term as well. America is ALL ABOUT creative destruction as one product or system is replaced by something more advanced ex: 8-Track – Cassette tape – CD – mp3 etc…
The whole Ampad issue is a lot of spin in that story as well. Those 2-3 individuals in that story were the ones behind not going along with the deal BUT also were promoted within the company by Bain and eventually left on their own and formed their own business from their experiences at AMPAD. So they allowed themselves to be used as pawns to bash Romney.

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM

2 billion surplus? what? LIES!

Romney Left Massachusetts With $1.3 Billion Deficit After His Term In Office. “The [Patrick Administration’s]
budget also resolves the whopping $1.3 billion deficit left by the Romney Administration.” (Adrian Walker, Op-Ed, “A
Numbers Roadshow,” The Boston Globe, 3/1/07)
In November 2006, Romney Aides Were Privately Telling Incoming Governor To Expect Deficit As High As
$1.1 Billion. “Patrick aides said Romney administration officials had been painting a grim picture of state finances
in private meetings last month and this month. In the Nov. 27 presentation to Patrick’s budget advisers, Romney
aides projected a budget deficit for fiscal 2008, which begins in July, of between $400 million and $1.1 billion.”
(Andrea Estes and Michael Levenson, “State Could Face $1b Deficit In ‘07,” The Boston Globe, 12/30/06)

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 7:58 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:43 AM

What you evidently don’t know is that Bain contributed only 15% of the start-up money for Staples! ;-) So, by your own standard, then perhaps Romney can claim 15% of the total job growth over all the years of Staples existence! ;-) I never knew that Mitt has been working at Staples all these years to create their jobs!

Well, if you want to give Mitt credit for saving companies, then what about the companies that he bled dry?

The problem for Mitt supporters and Mitt is that you have to stretch to create some sort of job creator record for him. ;-)

Mitt didn’t make the bulk of his money from his few venture capital deals. He made the bulk of his money from his leveraged buyout deals. You might want to check that out. ;-)

P.S. – Oh, so Mitt can invest other people’s money and be called a job creator while someone who invests their own hard-earned money is not! ;-) And how do you know that I offered nothing of value to the start-up companies I invested in? ;-) It would still be wrong and rather arrogant to claim credit for the jobs created since the managers were the ones doing the heavy lifting to create those jobs.

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM

will the lsm go 24/7 viral on that

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 7:51 AM

If it’s true, DWS and Axelrod will go blitzo viral with it, even if the lsm doesn’t.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM

nathor…

- Fees:

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM

i am very much for fees instead of taxes, but, if services are to be funded by fees instead of taxes, then the tax should go down, else, the overall tax load goes up. and this was what mitt did!

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Romney defended his record in business, including as chief executive of Bain Capital, the consulting firm Bain and Company, and the Salt Lake Olympics. At Bain Capital alone, Romney said he had created more than 300 jobs and invested in hundreds of companies.
Governor candidates urge more corporate responsibility. The Associated Press. The Providence Journal [Providence, R.I] 09 July 2002: C-06.

In 2002, Mitt was only claiming credit for the 300 jobs he created at Bain Capital! ;-)

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Nathor and Jon…
you are arguing with a person that 771K+ people just voted for their candidate as POTUS and Romney’s organization across America (read here: he has massive support across the country) is ready to elect him as our next POTUS.

So we can talk about how many hires Romney had or did not have or what fees or taxes the Boston Herald said he raised but it is in the past and moot. His record does speak for itself and he has been very, very successful.

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Tru dat flora

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Does anyone have any ideas on why there were almost 300,000 fewer votes cast in this year’s Florida Primary compared to 2008?

Lack of interest? Turned-off by the negative campaigning? Lack of enthusiasm?

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Nathor,

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM

? cant you read a pdf in your browser?
its just be able to read it:

anyway, my charge was that mitt invested in companies that specialized in outsourcing jobs overseas. these companies did not went banckrupt, but they did not exactly created jobs in the US. but the contrary, they destroyed jobs in the US.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Just saw Romney on Fox & Friends. Of course, he couldn’t guarantee he won’t run negative ads in the future. A man’s gotta do what he’s gotta do to win right? Especially when only 14% of the voters thought he was a conservative in the exit polling. Also, it is surprising that there was a lower turnout than 2008 last night. That is not a good sign.

Well, as I said last night, it’s a good thing he has a lot of money. He will need it. I do not think the grassroots will be enthused enough to donate or volunteer for him.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM

His record does speak for itself and he has been very, very successful.

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

You’re pushing the Mitt-created record. The problem with it is that it is a mirage. It is easily contradicted by the facts.

As to your electability and inevitability argument:

Mitt won by 14% after running for years, having the entire Establishment on his side, having outspent Newt by 4 to 1, having carpet-bombed the state with negative ads, and having the advantage of being unopposed during early voting.

Newt won the Panhandle and Northern Florida. Mitt won the snowbird counties (Northeastern transplants) by large margins. Mitt hasn’t shown that he can win the core of the Republican base.

Newt won S. Carolina by 12% after having been outspent by more than 2 to 1 by Mitt and having the news media weigh in with his ex-wife while the Establishment tried to whip voters into a frenzy with an attack on Newt’s mental health.

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around the disconnect.

We have been screaming for three years that one of the biggest problems with our government is out-of-control spending. And, then this is the way we pick our candidate: whoever has the most money wins.

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Almost 300,000 fewer voters. Do you have any ideas why? It is rather surprising! Lack of enthusiasm? Apathy? Disgust at the negative campaigning?

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Nathor and Jon…

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

ah! the primaries are not over until mitt gets the majority of the delegates. so spare us the triumphalism!

Romney record as governor and businessman are on judgment and if we dont do it right in this primary, the dems will do it in the general.

i admit that romney probably is a talented manager and his profits show that. however, his record as governor look horrible from a fiscal conservative perspective and i dont like him.

mitt record as a job creator is weak. he fired lots of people even in companies that did not went bankrupt and he owned outsourcing companies.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM

The irony of ironies! What will voters think?

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:23 AM

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM

The only thing I can figure is that there is dissatisfaction with the choices.

You know, Romney supporters are proclaiming that this was a blowout for him. Not really. As another poster pointed out, Mitt was 24 points ahead of everyone in Florida two weeks ago and despite all the money and negative ads he still dropped 10 points when it was all said and done.

This race is not over by any stretch.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Nathor and Jon…
g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

LOL. Don’t be silly. You do realize that more people voted for someone other than Romney, don’t you? ;-) In fact, over 891,000 people voted for someone other than Romney.

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Tru dat flora

cmsinaz on February 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

It’s true. It’s not as bad as first reported, but Twitter talking heads are already saying he’s going to have a hard time explaining.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Romney received 47% of the vote

Newt received 32
Santorum received 13

Which means conservatives total vote was 45%

He is gaining on you Mitt!!!

Note: Ron Paul received 7%…who knows who these whack jobs are
who voted for him.

Amjean on February 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM

CorporatePiggy on February 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Cage match. /sarc

Mangy Scot on February 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM

This race is not over by any stretch.

KickandSwimMom on February 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I agree. And, according to exit polls, Gingrich still won the base of the Republican party in Florida. And look at the map, Newt won the Panhandle and Northern Florida. That doesn’t bode well for Mitt Romney in Southern states – the base of the Modern Republican party.

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM

And they were worried about Gingrich gaffes? ;-) It’s certainly politically tone death.

The problem is that it plays right into the stereotype created by the Democrats that the Republican party doesn’t care about poor people. So, now that the party has ceded that, the Democrats can work on telling the middle-class voters that the Republicans don’t really care about them either.

Don’t you think that many struggling middle-class voters will see that statement as confirmation that Republicans really don’t care about them either? In other words, Republicans only say they care about them because they want their votes.

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM

It’s a big one for him to have to explain, that’s for sure. DWS is going to have a field day.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Consider DNC ads featuring “I like to fire people.” “I’m not concerned about the very poor.” If they can just get a picture of him in a top hat and tails twirling his mustache… He is handing them soundbites on a silver platter.

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM