Video: Gingrich’s kinda sorta concession speech

posted at 10:41 pm on January 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

Yeah, I’m thinking that a guy who’s quoting the Declaration of Independence in his final lines probably isn’t thinking of conceding the race anytime soon. BuzzFeed has a copy of his campaign’s official post-election talking points, but you don’t really need those to grasp the takeaway here. One line: “It is now clear that this will be a two-person race between the conservative leader, Newt Gingrich, and the Massachusetts moderate, and the voters of Florida made that clear.” In other words, Santorum’s dead on arrival (even though he polls better against Romney than Newt does), so it’s time for conservatives to consolidate behind the only remaining viable Not Romney in the field. Honestly, that’s probably the most compelling reason for his candidacy going forward. Good for him, I guess, for identifying it.

If you’re wondering why the post about the concession speech is going up after the victory speech, it’s because Newt apparently refused to call Romney to concede tonight and decided to wait him out. Terrific. Exit quotation from Larry Sabato: “None of the February contests are good for Gingrich. Caucuses, by their very nature, reward long, detailed planning and considerable resources to gin up turnout. Translation: They are tailor-made for Romney and Paul.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

He is handing them soundbites on a silver platter.

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Romney will be the weakest nominee in Modern political history. His only saving grace is that he will running against one of the weakest Presidents in the last 30 years.

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Will one or both of the football teams in the Super Bowl will be wearing the same helmet that Gingrich’s wife wears?

lhuffman34 on February 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Almost 300,000 fewer voters. Do you have any ideas why? It is rather surprising! Lack of enthusiasm? Apathy? Disgust at the negative campaigning?

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I don’t know if it necessarily translates to anything negative. I know several people who don’t really care all that much who the “R” on the ticket is, but know with 100% certainty that it’s the “R” who they will absolutely go vote for. And they pretty much feel that it’s going to wind up being Romney in the end, which is fine by them.

lynncgb on February 1, 2012 at 9:04 AM

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Is that a win-win or a lose-lose? lol

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM

lhuffman34 on February 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Stay classy.

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Bottom line is that Romney won and we move on and see what other voters in other states want.If Romney wins then he is the nominee that MOST of the conservatives want. This is the process and just because your guy doesn’t win enough votes does not mean the process is flawed but YOUR candidate did not do a good enough job of convincing voters he was the best choice. As of right now, Romney is the guy. Now on to Nevada…

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM

dont assume just because romney wins, we will vote for him like sheep’s in the general. if there is little difference between him and obama, why we should care about trashing obama out of the WH? many of us will stay at home or write in someone else.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Bottom line is that Romney won and we move on
g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM

That’s a wrap…:-)

lynncgb on February 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM

As far as I know none of them did.

Did mitt congratulate newt in SC?

tinkerthinker on February 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Romney was on Fox & Friends this morning. He said Santorum and Paul had called him, and he had called Gingrich when he won SC.

As a Gingrich supporter, I find not calling to congratulate Romney a rather pissy thing to do.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

oops, wrong thread, sorry.

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Stay classy.

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Lighten Up!

lhuffman34 on February 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Is that a win-win or a lose-lose? lol

Fallon on February 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Great Question! I’m going to go with Door No.2!

JonBGood on February 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

g2825m on February 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Did you email Ed? I did.

Bmore on February 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Sorry but this isn’t horseshoes and almost doesn’t count. “If there is little difference” does count if it means the Supreme Court for example. I haven’t found much difference between candidates since Carter and some before, but I still voted for the one that matched the most of my political beliefs and I felt would do the least harm and the most good. If you want the perfect candidate run yourself.
There is no Obama will win and that’s okay in this race, it is not okay for him to win I don’t care who we run. I would vote for Ron Paul before I voted for Obama. Hell I’d vote for my cat before I voted for Obama. But you do what you think is best for the country. Personally I don’t think letting Obama wins fits that description. And just an fyi, I don’t like any of our candidates that much but I have seen what Obama can do. Oh and there is no guarantee we will take the Senate if Obama does win.

Deanna on February 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Deanna on February 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM

very wrong. if i find the same faults in romney as i find in obama, why should i care in trashing obama from the WH? just because i usually vote republican? bah!
lets focus on on the senate and congress then, because if it is mitt vs obama, i feel we already lost.

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I want to vote for Newt but he keeps getting in my way!
I am SICK to death of the constant bitching and whining about the corrupt media! We all KNOW the media is in the tank for someone. WE DON’T NEED TO CONSTANTLY HEAR IT! That just makes us think you don’t have anything substantive to say.

Instead tell me what your actual beliefs are and how you will go about correcting the problems that Obama has push down our throats. Tell me how you can fix this mess in plain english make me believe you.

Convince me you are the better person for President and you don’t convince me by petty pokes and swipes at Romney.

SgtRed on February 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

nathor on February 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

So you think Romney is identical to Obama on everything? And if you think we can carry the Senate if Obama wins, then good luck because I don’t. Have a good day. Oh and I voted for Goldwater.

Deanna on February 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Flora Duh on February 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Agreed. Newt was a “sore loser” for not congratulating Romney, and shows a lack of class. Undecided voters in other states might hold that against Gingrich.

Whether we like it or not, Romney won the Florida primary by 14% and 240,000 votes. It’s common courtesy that the second-place candidate congratulate the winner, and failing to do so looks bad for second fiddle.

Steve Z on February 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I’m wondering if Nuclear Newtron will go third party with his people power campaign.

Philly on February 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Qualifications

He is not conservative enough for me either.

But if you guys can’t see that Mitt is not a blessing with his qualifications, BHO hasn’t taught you much.

Qualifications don’t solve all problems but a lack of them sure seem to create some.

IlikedAUH2O on February 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

WOW!! One of the best speeches I have heard in a long time, how refreshing to hear someone lay out exactly what they would do if given the chance. I am so tired of the stuttering, nervous halting speech of Romney who doesn’t specify any of his intentions and forget about Obama and his teleprompter!!
I am ready for someone who can speak from the heart without any hesitation and when he gets through you know he has said somthing worthwhile and not just talking points.

Tn.-Vol on February 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

AtlasShrugs.com’s Pamela Geller writes that Gingrich “…may be a son of a bitch, but he’s our son of a bitch. And we need a son of a bitch to defeat the snake in the White House.”

Romney will lose to Obama. Axelrod will see to that. I don’t know if Newt can win, but at least he’ll put up a good fight, land some punches, and give Barry a bloody nose. Romney hasn’t got the courage to call Obama a socialist and an Alinsky-ite. “He’s in over his head” won’t cut it, Mitt.

Colony14 on February 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

40 acres and a hotair point to the first one who can reduce this to one word.

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Marxism.

Meople on March 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

SCoAMF.

aquaviva on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Pharaoh.

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Pissy. Would also accept, Prissy.

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM