Rubio: No, I’m really not interested in being anyone’s running mate

posted at 2:30 pm on January 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Is Marco Rubio just being coy, or does he want to tamp down speculation because he’s tired of answering the question? It didn’t hurt either Newt Gingrich or Mitt Romney among conservatives in Florida to suggest in the last debate that Rubio might be short-listed as a running mate, but Rubio was so intent on denying any interest in the job that he almost gave that answer to the wrong question at the beginning of this Fox News interview from earlier this afternoon:

Rubio stops short of “guaranteeing” a Florida win in the primaries, but obviously believes that Obama will have a very difficult time picking up this important swing state:

As voting is underway for the Florida primary, Florida Senator Marco Rubio (R) weighs in on the importance of the Sunshine State’s votes, saying, “I think in the long turn, if you win Florida in a Republican primary, your chances of winning the general election are very high.” …

When it comes to Obama’s votes in the state of Florida, he thinks people will remember that he has been president for the last four years and has made everything worse. “He’s gonna come to Florida and ask for a four year extension after failing his first four years, and I don’t think he’s gonna get it, at least not from Floridians.”

Rubio would be smart to refuse an invitation to join the ticket. Few Vice Presidents have won the Presidency on their own after serving another President without ascending to the office through death or resignation. George H. W. Bush did it in 1988, and Richard Nixon in 1968 — but it took him two tries to get there. Before that, one has to go back to Martin Van Buren to get to the next example. Vice Presidents tend to turn into historical footnotes or acccidental Presidents at best. If Rubio has ambitions for the top job, he would be better served by finishing his Senate term and then running for governor in Florida to build the kind of resume that would make him formidable in a national fight.

With all of Rubio’s talent. it’s easy to remember that he only started serving in the Senate last year and still has no executive experience in electoral politics. The GOP has other options for running mates among the governors who could help build outsider, reform credentials for a nominee who might really need that kind of boost within the party. I mentioned Bobby Jindal earlier today, but the tough-DA-turned-Governor Susana Martinez has served in her new capacity as long as Rubio has in his; both Nikki Haley and Bob McDonnell have fought ObamaCare from their executive positions in South Carolina and Virginia, respectively. We need Rubio to grow to his maximum potential rather than get lost in the musty archives of history so soon in his career. I believe Rubio understands that as well.

Update: Two corrections: I misspelled Martinez’ first name, and Martinez was a district attorney, not the AG.  I’ve corrected both above.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why tie yourself to any of the existing candidates.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

This guy loves censoring the internet. He will have to explain why he is against free speech if selected by Willard

liberal4life on January 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Well if not Rubio, how about West?
L

letget on January 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Perhaps he did does remember where he was born, or what his birth certificate looks like. Or perhaps he doesn’t want to tie himself to any of these losers.

Archivarix on January 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

but the tough-Attorney General-turned-Governor Susannah Martinez has served in her new capacity as long as Rubio has in his

Susana Martinez was never AG. She was district attorney for one of New Mexico’s judicial districts.

KingGold on January 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Rubio’s a calculating piece of work. He wants a clean shot at the top job in 2016.

CorporatePiggy on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

liberal4life on January 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

If you’re referring to SOPA, I believe he changed his mind on it. I hardly think he’d against “free speech”, too…get a grip.

changer1701 on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I mentioned Bobby Jindal earlier today

You did? I must’ve missed that

Doughboy on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

And to think that a GOP candidate will somehow have to survive without Rubio’s harrowing son-of-non-exiles story as part of the ticket’s narrative … I’m sure Romney will be heartbroken.

bifidis on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Har. He’s pretty bad at denials.

Philly on January 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Good. Both Beavis and Butthead (Newt and Mitt, or vice versa) have been trying to exploit him. I hope he says “Screw you” to both.

Pasalubong on January 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

liberal4life on January 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I see the lobotomy is still effective!
You have to get potty trained though!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM

KingGold on January 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Thanks, fixed both.

Ed Morrissey on January 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I really don’t want Martinez for V.P. We need her here in New Mexico far more than the country needs her for a rather worthless position.

Rancher on January 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM

changer1701 on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

He was ready to dance with the lobbyists till the American people screamed bloody murder. He has no backbone and on top of that he is not “natural born” according to the standard set by bither queen Orly Taitz

liberal4life on January 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Rubio is too young to be VP. His resume is too similar to a young Barack Obama. He needs seasoning.

cd98 on January 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

changer1701 on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Except for that pesky little bit of legislation that would’ve created free of free speech zones. Once may be an oversight, but twice? That’s verging on a trend.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

CorporatePiggy on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

He doesn’t meet the Constitutional requirements for president.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

He doesn’t meet the Constitutional requirements for president.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I suspect he does but you miss the larger point that we live in a post-constitutional age.

CorporatePiggy on January 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM

That’s what they all say.

rogaineguy on January 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM

You know what an establishment candidate needs?

Another establishment candidate.

Notorious GOP on January 31, 2012 at 2:47 PM

changer1701 on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

“I was for SOPA until the internet internet decided for an entire blackout day and the media started covering it.”

Notorious GOP on January 31, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Why would he want to be running mate to a Democrat (Romney) anyway?

Pragmatic on January 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

liberal4life on January 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

changer1701 on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

It’s working from the handbook that It is read to…or from tapes, that are not current. (It still thinks, there is just one DisneyWorld)

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Duh. Why give the oppo researchers any more of a head start?

The Mega Independent on January 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM

The Republicans will lose to Obama if Romney is the nominee so why would Rubio want to be on the losing team (he knows this)?

Pragmatic on January 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I have posted pretty much this same fact in comments section on numerous ocasions. I hope Rubio and any other person who aspires to be POTUS is a student of VP history. It’s a sacrificial lamb’s posistion. Sarah Palin would have been much better off had she not been on the wimpy old RINO’s ticket.

they lie on January 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Why keep asking the question…?

… Why aren’t they asking why the Dems have not passed a budget in the Senate in over 1,000 days?

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2012 at 2:55 PM

You whine like a little 8itch. I guarantee you that women around the country are wondering why she allows her roots to grow out that far. She appears to be lazy and unkempt. The only other choice is that she does it on purpose. If so, then she must spend HOURS trying to achieve that effect.

csdeven on January 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Look everyone. csdeven is attacking the wife of someone running for president. Now didn’t she do that to Fed’s Wife?

Yes she did. Typical Romneny supporter tactics.

Also the “You whine like a little 8itch” is a give away. csdeven is a misogynist. period.

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

You whine like a little 8itch.

csdeven on January 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Got a mirror?

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

he’s being coy and humble.

ted c on January 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM

bifidis on January 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

ex·ile
   [eg-zahyl, ek-sahyl] Show IPA noun, verb, -iled, -il·ing.
noun
expulsion from one’s native land by authoritative decree.
the fact or state of such expulsion: to live in exile.
a person banished from his or her native land.
prolonged separation from one’s country or home, as by force of circumstances: wartime exile.
anyone separated from his or her country or home voluntarily or by force of circumstances.

Dope.

Akzed on January 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Vice Presidents tend to turn into historical footnotes

So if the left had left well enough alone in 08, there’s a possibility McGrumpy would be nearing the end of his first and most likely only term, and his V.P. would have faded into history?

Hey Libs, ever hear of, “shooting yourself in the foot”?

As for Rubio. Let’s just leave him where he is for at least a full term, ok?

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Yeah, I like Rubio, and I think he’d be helpful, but, I don’t blame him for not wanting the VP spot. Typically the VP slot is only attractive to backbenchers, or people whose careers have already ran their course.

Pawlenty for example, reportedly really wants the VP slot. I like Pawlenty, I think he’d be well suited for the role. I’m not entirely certain how much he helps though. You’d think he’d be able to help in Minnesota, but its hard to say before we see how close MN is gonna be in the general. Last couple elections its only BARELY qualified as a competitive state.

Jindal might also be a good choice, but going from governor to VP is a demotion by most accounts.

You know, we really need to reform the VP slot to make it more important. I dunno, maybe make it a heir and cabinet position all in one, or something.

WolvenOne on January 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I think this is very smart of him. Why would he want to be tainted with this crap that we have going on?

Mirimichi on January 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Janet Napolitano, Debbie Gasserman, Maxine Waters,Janet Reno,even Nancy Pelosi would all be comfy on Mitt’s ticket as VP. Matter of fact, Mitt should choose George Soros as his VP since George thinks there’s no difference between Obama and Mitt. For the first time in my life, I agree with Sorry-os.

they lie on January 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Mitt Romney, his family, staff and supporters donated a combined $66,000 to help Tim Pawlenty retire the debt left over from his presidential campaign. Romney, his wife, five sons and brother, as well as his associates from Bain Capital were among those cutting maximum checks to Pawlenty, according to a POLITICO analysis of campaign filings released Tuesday.

J_Crater on January 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I think Rubio would be willing to be on a Romney ticket, there’s almost no downside for him that I can think of.

Even if Romney loses, Rubio will be the perennial favorite for 2016, where there will be some fierce competition. The nomination will be his if he wants it. He’ll also get to keep his Senate seat in the meantime.

Personally though, I think a Romney/Rubio ticket would beat Obama, it’s a no brainer for Mitt. you would have Florida in the bag and it would really help out west in states like Nevada and Colorado as I beleive it would bring in Latino voters that may normally vote Democrat.

BradTank on January 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Fed’s Fred Thomson’s wife

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 3:04 PM

You know what a boring, bland, and vague nominee needs?

An even more boring, bland, and vague nominee.

Notorious GOP on January 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

If you reload the page you’ll notice csdeven’s comment has been removed. He/she had another one removed Sunday for using the same phrase. Slow learner I guess.

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Rubio has been very unimpressive as a Senator, to be gentle. Susan Martinez will be painted as Palin all over again – and why not?

Republicans should stay away from identity politics to pick their nominees.

My favorites:

1. Chris Christie
2. Bob McDonnell
3. Bobby Jindal
4. Mitch Daniels
5. Tim Pawlenty

joana on January 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

BradTank on January 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Did you bother to read the article?

they lie on January 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

What about Condi Rice?

luckedout26 on January 31, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I am growing tired of the idol worship treatment that Republicans foisted upon Rubio. There is a reason that he is viewed as someone that can bridge the divide between establishment and grassroots.

By grassroots Republicans, he is viewed as someone that represents and more importantly, articulates conservatism well. The establishment views him as a pragmatist that can be bought and sold based on his ambition for power and prominence.

I don’t find this idea of Rubio as a bridge pol comforting. I find it concerning, very much so. The establishment had a way of twisting arms that gets results. I don’t like the odds.

Beyond that, Marco Rubio is a first generation American, born of two Cuban exiles. His mother tried returning to Cuba after Castro. Her heart always resided in Cuba. I find the idea of a President or Vice President born to newly immigrated parents a fatal mistake for the United States to make. Rubio is not worth the price we would pay to elevate him to such a height of government.

h a p f a t on January 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Thanks for the info. (:

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Asking Rubio if he wants to be the 2012 VP is like asking Clapton to play backup…

He’s got his own vision and mission of which I support.

Odie1941 on January 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Rubio needs to run for Governor of Florida in 2016 to prepare to run for POTUS either in 2020 or 2024.

That is the trajectory he should have for to become POTUS. He will then get the Executive Governing experience he needs and be fully vetted and prepared.

If Rubio is smart, that is what he’ll do. I believe Rubio is a very astute person and has this as his road map for his career.

uhangtight on January 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Cripes. Did you see his one? Same phrase.

Now Gingrich is whining like a little 8itch because Romney got the better of him. I have no sympathy for Gingrich at all.

csdeven on January 31, 2012 at 11:44 AM

click to see it

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Cripes. Did you see his this one?

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM

liberal4life on January 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

If he will amend the legislation to prevent you from posting, I will support SOPA.

Shump on January 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Who ever gets tied to Romney the boat anchor will be dragged down with him. Wonder how many consultants are saying just that to Christie and the other likely candidates. In a few weeks maybe the only person left willing to attach themselves to Romney will be Newt.

Buckshot Bill on January 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM

how about West?

Yeah, he has 14 days’ experience. You’re a big fan of the Pigford vote, I guess.

kunegetikos on January 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I believe what he is saying as he has said it all along…It is others who keep insisting however he just got to the Senate/let him do what he went there to do/for me I am tired of Pols campaigning and getting elected and then wanting to right away try for a new job when they have not finished the one they went there to do…..

Also he has 4 children and they are all very young…. That is a huge step to take and know that even though VP’s have a different job description per se it is still time consuming at a time when he may want to be closer to the family….just saying.

Karla1953 on January 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

CorporatePiggy on January 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM

No, he doesn’t. He is not a natural-born citizen.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

My favorites:

1. Chris Christie
2. Bob McDonnell
3. Bobby Jindal
4. Mitch Daniels
5. Tim Pawlenty

joana on January 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

1. Chris Christie – may help w/ NJ, #4
2. Bob McDonnell – VA is in thebag, but very standup guy, #3
3. Bobby Jindal – LA is also in the bag, let him grow some more also, #5
4. Mitch Daniels – very good choice, IN is a lock, but he will be needed on entitlement reform on the national level, #2
5. Tim Pawlenty – may actually flip MN. could be large for elec coll considerations. strong on entitlement reform. this would be my #1.

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 3:49 PM

No, he doesn’t. He is not a natural-born citizen.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

without a definition within the constitution of ‘natural born citizen’ we cant categorically say that right? we would need scotus clarification of the term. and presumably they would look to the founders and come to the conclusion that they meant ‘born of two citizen parents on US soil or US territories (add in more qulifiers, a canal zone for example)’. if however, they rule ‘someone born in the US or territories and legally qualified as a citizen at birth’, then he qualifies. so how do you come to the conlcusion flatly that he is not; with no clarity reduced to wrtiing within the constitution?

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM

kunegetikos on January 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM

21 years of military service dont count presumably in your calcuation. yeah, the establishment wouldnt count that either, so, yeah, he aint goin’ anywhere.

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I like Marco Rubio. I hope he means what he says about not being a V.P Candidate. I would really love it if he would make it clear that he thinks someone with less than 2 years in the US Senate, no experience at Governor, does not possess the experience to be a US President. Rubio could point out that we are seeing how bad things can be when someone who does not have sufficient experience becomes a President.

DVPTexFla on January 31, 2012 at 4:04 PM

He needs to get a little sun.

Molon Labe on January 31, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Rubio is clearly not a natural born citizen. Neither parent was a US citizen when he was born in the US, and this disqualifies him for VP or President. Rubio is also not qualified on other grounds, having a very thin resume in the private sector and never having been a governor. His next stop should be Fla governor so he can get some much needed executive experience.

Tripwhipper on January 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

It’s gonna be Chris Christie anyhow.

rubberneck on January 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Tripwhipper on January 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

could you cite in the constitution where you get your definition? can you cite anywehere you get that defnition? if it comes from your head, you can clearly see it means nothing. and if it doesnt come from the constitution, directly, in words, it also means nothing, you undertand that correct? and until a consitutionally DEFINED meaning to those words is established (presumably thru scotus case) NO ONE can say what you just said, clearly. capice? but i guess it felt good.

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM

It’s gonna be Chris Christie anyhow.

rubberneck on January 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM

As much as I’d hate to see a(nother) Northeast Moderate on the ticket, I’d LOVE to see a Christie/Biden debate.
“Numbnuts!”

Dexter_Alarius on January 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I really don’t know who would want to go down with the GOP sinking ship and lose to the worst President ever. It would have to be someone who has nothing to lose and no ambition to continue his or her political career.

Connie on January 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I believe Rubio will be president some day. He articulates conservative principals better than anyone I’ve ever seen with the possible exception of Reagan. He needs more seasoning,but I just don’t know if this country can wait that long.

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 4:55 PM

t8stlikchkn

Gawd, you’re ignorant. “Where’s the def’tion in that there Constitution, huh? Whar’ is it? Huh?”

The U.S. Constitution isn’t a dictionary.

Have someone read the remarks of James Madison, major Framer of the Constitution on the meaning of the “naturally born” qualification requirement in defining the Executive.

Only place in the qualifications for the three branches that this is used.

Madison explains that it came from “The Law of Nations,” which defined natural born as “…born on native soil with parents who were citizens at the time of the birth.” Quite simple.

BTW – Whoever reads it to you can use “Madison for Dummies.” It is still available.

Please link me to an Amendment which altered this qualification or an SCT case which amended it by interpretation.

Neither “Amazing Marco” (“The Libyans thugs are heroes.”) or Bobbo Jindal (“Obama was mean and I stood there and took it”) are qualified to hold the office of President. Native born Americans.

Wha’da ya thank o’ that there? Huh? Huh? Gotcha, huh?

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

“I believe Rubio will be president some day.”
steel guy

Yeah, if he can go back in time and become a “naturally born” American citizen. Is “native born” right now.

email “Amazing Marco” and ask him:
1. Where he was born – he said he’s not sure.
2. Ask him the DOB on his birth certificate and if his parents were American citizens at the time – he said he hasn’t seen his BC.
3. Ask him when his parents were naturalized as citizens – he said he’s not sure.

Maybe he’ll give different answers to you.

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I sense a repeat of the McCain/Palin ticket, where the running mate was more interesting, more exciting, and better at demonstrating successful conservatism than the presidential nominee.

Johnny 100 Pesos on January 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

ok horace, you’re right. its plain. thats why there is no controversy about the language. you got a point. and clearly having this settled by you, what the founders meant by those particular words, unlike ya know like “the right to bear arms”, or what exaclty IS “a regulated milita” by scotus is rediculous and not needed. “natural born citizen” has one meaning and its clear. who would possible construe it to have other meanings? yeah. i get it horace. i am a total idiot. thanks horace.

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I love Marco Rubio, and want him in the Senate. I want a lot of the strong Tea Party people there. Are you working on a campaign? The Senate is the KEY you guys, any thing a Republican House and a Republican Senate sends up is almost assured passage, but if you don’t win the senate, you will be blaming Romney, or Santorum, or Newt, and Boehner. But really it will be your fault because you were not out working for the candidates in February 2012.

Fleuries on January 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

horace, quick question: you got a problem with, ya know, furners?

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

i am a total idiot. thanks horace.

No, just very ignorant about Madison, “The Law of Nations,” the meaning of “natural born” when the Constitution was adopted and Constitutional Law in general.

Got no links to amendment of the Qualifications Clause in the Executive section of the Constitution or SCT opinions amending it either, I see.

You’re not alone. The vast majority of posters here go with personal anecdotes and emotions, too. Prevents the headaches they get from readin’ and thinkin’.

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM

You sound like a Clinton staff lawyer. According to your logic, the words “We hold these truths to be self-evident” mean nothing, and that only a lawyer can tell us what that means, because our DOC does not specify precisely what it means. I like Rubio, but he is thin on experience and is not a natural born citizen, and this truth is self-evident.

Tripwhipper on January 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Fine. I don’t care. Just shut up about the idea that the winner of the FL primary will be the candidate. So what? I’m supposed to just fall in line and vote for whoever that turns out to be. Rubio, you don’t any more than anybody else.

stukinIL4now on January 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Well, Alexander Hamilton’s suggestion that the president be “born a Citizen” of the USA was overwhelmingly rejected as insufficient. John Jay is the person who suggested to Washington the more restrictive requirement of being a “natural born citizen” be adopted so that the president would hold no allegiances to foreign nations.

Clearly this rules out naturalized citizens. So now we’re left with Hamilton’s native-born citizens and Jay’s natural-born citizens.

Do the math.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

If he takes VP nod and loses he still can do this but with a heightened national profile. If he takes VP and wins he is virtually guaranteed the R nomination for President if he wants it.
There is no downside to taking the VP nod. Which is why no one ever says no when they are asked. No one. Even Johnson took it and he hated the Kennedys.

If Rubio is asked, he’ll says yes.

Rocks on January 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Huh. So much for looking to the ratification conventions for Constitutional guidance.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

t8stlikchkn

My paternal grandmother came to this country in 1884 at age 4 from the Kingdom of Bohemia. She became a citizen in 1898. Lived to age 97 and never learned to speak English. We spoke Czech with her as children. My father and paternal aunts and uncles were all bi-lingual. My paternal grandfather came to this country as an infant in 1870.

Yeah, I hates me them “furners.” Regular “Know-Nothing,” that’s me.

I stand corrected – You are not ignorant. You are an ignorant joke.

Better be more careful who you deal with on the Internet. I’m way outta your league.

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Fair point. Disappointing, but probably accurate.

Crap.

Pablo Snooze on January 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM

If Rubio is asked, he’ll says yes.

Rocks on January 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

AND violate the Qualifications Clause in the Constitution at the same time! No wonder they call him “Amazing Marco!”

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I’m sure that he’s not qualified for the office. The Constitution is very specific and there’s no way I could support him. You have to be born here of two citizen parents. Why in the world the so- called media elites, and bigwigs have intentionally ignored this is mystifying!! ( except that Obama’s in the very same category…not eligible. ) I guess they’re afraid of being labelled racists and losing their high-paid, cushy jobs.

bill glass on January 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

who does that? i concede: there can be no room for dispute in the language. there can be no dispute. at least “natural born citizen” and what was the other one “we hold these truths”. and if someone were to dispute that language then there is no remedy. there is no system for settling that. so all the controversy, all the scholarly writings about why there is no strict defintion, and where one would look, and how one could interpret that meaning is left to each individual and each individaul must come to the same conclusion. i get it.

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 5:44 PM

As far as I know Rubio was born in this country, does that not make him a citizen? Not trying to be a dick but do you oppose Rubios politics or do you just doubt that he was born here?

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 5:50 PM

One name you never hear which would make good sense is Mike Huckabee. He helps with Southern Christians and doesn’t have to vacate an office. He would come off as likeable and would hold his own vs. Scranton Joe. Not sure he brings any Tea Party enthusiasm because I don’t speak Tea Party. If you put an inexperienced VP candidate with Romney it undercuts a key message vs. Odrama – that the adults are back and running against an overwhelmed incumbent who wasn’t ready for the job.

MajorKong on January 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 5:50 PM

dont start man. he is NOT a “natural born citizen”. and it is CLEAR, even though it is not defined in the constituion what that means. everyone knows. just read the writings of the founders. and if you THINK you want to clarify their meaning, well theres no remedy. there is no way to settle that wording. you get it? and if you discuss this again, you are ignorant. and you should stay off the internet. you got all this?

they dont doubt that he was born here. they believe that the meaning of the founders is clear, that ‘nat born’ means born in the US of 2 us citizens, and he doesnt qualify under that definition. parents were res aliens. personally i believe their definition to be correct (2 citizens on US soil), after extensive research. however, many scholars believe that nat born may have other meanings and this has never been settled definitively because the langauge within the document is not clear, some say. and some say that there is no mechanism to clarify disputed consitutional language cause ya know everyone should just read outside the constituion for meaning and agree. (i think thats their point, its kinda murky)
i suggest you try this to get started:

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Are you being sarcastic or just an A hole? can’t tell

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Are you being sarcastic or just an A hole? can’t tell

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM

read up man.

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM

steel guy

I don’t oppose Rubio’s policies because I don’t know what they are.
They tend to change alot. “I’m for SOPA/I’m against SOPA. The Libyan guerillas are heroes/The Libyan guerillas are thugs” etc.

I have no doubt that he was born in this country. He was born to parents who were not citizens at the time of his birth. He is a native born American. The Constitution limits the Presidency to natural born Americans. Rubio is not one.

James Madison, the primary Framer of the Constitution, was quite clear on this.

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I change my mind all the time. Don’t you? I’m talking about his political philosophy. As for his eligibility doesn’t Obama’s presidentcy nullify that? I haven’t really read this whole thread and I don’t wish to beat a dead horse but I haven’t heard of anybody within the republican party question his eligibility.

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never does.

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 6:56 PM

And like that, the neo-birthers came into being.

All this talk about the constitution seems quaint. I’ve no doubt the Illuminati could rustle up a bunch of birth certificates for the Rubio family if required.

CorporatePiggy on January 31, 2012 at 7:06 PM

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never does.

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 6:56 PM

some folks are emotionally invested (it appears) in the eligibility issue dude. i think it may be a result of the obama birther dustup. some folks believe that nat norn means 2 citizen parents and born on us soil. period. end of discussion. rubio clearly doesnt meet THAT standard. neither does obama for that matter. you saying obama “nullifies” that issue, i am not so sure. becasue if it WAS clear obama would not be potus, ya know? the SPECIFIC point: define nat born for me, has NEVER been done by scotus vis a vis potus/vpotus eligibility. never. some adherents to that (in my mind obvious) definition will go so far as to say that scotus cant even rule on the issue (i guess marbury v madison or something never happened) and that its so clear only bolsheviks will even mention that a dispute exists, or something; i havent figured all of it out yet. so those that think nat born means 2 citizens/us soil will get very upset with you if you even mention that a dispute exists. and saying obama “nullifies” the issue may bring down some heat as well. just warning you. it apparently emotional for them.

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never does.

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 6:56 PM

He has twice been in favor of legislation that restricts free speech, the first time being the SERVE act. He clearly does not understand the simple instruction, “Congress shall make no law…”

And no, just because there is an example of an unconstitutional act or event, it does not nullify the Constitution going forward.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM

steel guy

doesn’t Obama’s presidentcy nullify that?

The U.S. Constitution does not provide for amendment by fraud.

And why would I want to change my mind about anything? I’m almost always right. Of course, once back in ’63 I thought I was wrong about something, but I later found out that thinking I was wrong was itself wrong.

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Reading and understanding what James Madison and the other Framers wrote and discussed is hardly “emotional investment.”

Ever read the complete daily debate transcripts from the Constitutional Convention? Madison’s tome on the meaning of Clauses, such as the “natural born” Clause?” Ever read “The Law of Nations?”
Ever read Hamilton’s distinction between native born and natural born?

No? I didn’t think so. Such “emotional” garbage anyway, right?

Horace on January 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Again I don’t wish to beat a dead horse. I am not familiar with the SERVE act, but I always try to error on the side of free speech. I realize that there are often compelling argument on both sides of most issues. For instance Jefferson was very clear that the freedom to bear arms was so that government could not trample on the rights of it’s citizentry if they are well armed. But taken to it’s logical conclusion citizens should be allowed to arm themselves with tanks bombers. When you listen to Rubios speeches there is no doubt about his conservative credentials in my mind.

steel guy on January 31, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Why tie yourself to any of the existing candidates.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

That’s truly the deal, isn’t it? Rubio is Presidential material, however it is that happens, and he can’t risk being on a losing ticket with a deeply unpopular Presidential candidate like Gingrich or Romney.

Sigh…

Jaibones on January 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Why tie yourself to any of the existing candidates.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Sigh…

Jaibones on January 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM

NO! are you INSANE?! cant you see he is NOT eligible? man, you gotta get away from the internet dude. wait til horace gets ahold of YOU. you obviosuly dont know the meaning of ‘natural born citizen’. with talk like that, you just might get a earfull. and then well, he’ll tell you about all the stuff he’s read. and THATS germain. and then, well, you better just know you are stupid. so stop it ok? marbury v madison? WHAT!!!????

t8stlikchkn on January 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Anyone who complained that Palin and/or Obama weren’t qualified should not be backing Rubio, West, Martinez, or any other new “Tea Party” favorites. None of these people have completed even one full term in their current positions and several only have legislative experience, not executive, even if they did.

One candidate who does have the experience – 2-term governor, cut taxes and spending, started his own business from scratch – Republicans chased away to the Libertarian Party.

We need someone with a proven record of executive experience, experience in cutting taxes and spending, and leadership. Jindal seems to be a good bet, but he just won reelection and seems happy to be where he is.

In Colorado, we have Governor Hickenlooper, why can’t we find the conservative version? He was a geologist, then was a businessman who started his own brewpub, then Denver’s mayor for 8 years and now governor. Unfortunately, he’s also a Democrat. We need someone with a Tea Party mindset with a similar leadership record, not someone who’s barely gotten his/her feet wet.

Common Sense on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM