Open thread: Florida; Update: Romney raised $24 million in fourth quarter; Update: Romney wins

posted at 7:14 pm on January 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

Drudge says the exit polls show Romney by 14 so we should get a call promptly at 8 p.m. ET. You’re watching for the final margin and for Newt’s speech afterward. If Mitt makes it to 50 percent in a closed primary he’s got a dynamite talking point tomorrow; if Gingrich holds him to a single-digit spread, then … “moral victory” I guess? (Newt assured ABC this morning that “I’m not going to lose big in Florida.”) Romney’s speech should be the standard “you can tell I’m conservative because I love America super lots” message but Newt’s could go different ways. Gracious loser? Big-picture “vision”? Pep talk to his supporters to battle on towards the convention? Or something bitter about how Romney hates religious liberty and Holocaust survivors? Maybe it’ll be all four, with Good Newt and Bad Newt battling for his soul before our very eyes.

Full exit polls are coming at eight but first a few scraps from CBS:

Two in three Florida primary voters say the presidential debates were an important factor in their vote, according to early CBS News exit polls. That’s a positive sign for Mitt Romney, who was widely seen as besting rival Newt Gingrich in the two Sunshine State debates over the past week…

Electability was what Florida Republican voters were seeking in a candidate: 45 percent said the most important candidate quality is that they could defeat President Obama. That was followed by having the right experience (20 percent), having strong character (17 percent) and being a true conservative (13 percent)…

A majority of Florida Republican voters – 57 percent — were happy with the candidates on the ballot. But in a potentially troubling sign for Republicans in this swing state, 39 percent said they were not satisfied.

More from our Greenroomer Karl, who culled Fox News’s exit poll data from Twitter: “Romney winning 58% of those who say beating Obama is biggest priority. Romney winning seniors by 15% over Newt. Romney is last among those who say electing a ‘true conservative’ is most important (shocka). Romney winning Hispanics by 27%. Gingrich only leading Romney among evangelicals by 4%.” Seniors used to be Newt’s bread and butter; hard to imagine anyone staying competitive in Florida when you’re in that deep a hole with that demographic. One other fun fact via the NYT:

Negative ads were so prevalent in the final week before the Florida primary that they accounted for 92 percent of all campaign commercials that ran.

And the most heavily broadcast commercial this past weekend was not one featuring Mr. Romney or Mr. Gingrich but Tom Brokaw, the former NBC News anchor whose image the Romney campaign co-opted for an ad that used a 25-second clip from an old newscast on Mr. Gingrich’s political troubles.

A consolation prize for Santorum fans tonight: According to PPP, he leads Romney by 11 points in next week’s nonbinding primary in Missouri and fares better head to head against Romney in Ohio than Gingrich does. His favorable ratings are also vastly higher than Mitt’s and Newt’s in both states. If Gingrich dropped out soon, Santorum would stand a real chance of consolidating the Not Romney vote and winning the nomination. But watch the clip below; Newt’s promising to battle on for another six to eight months if need be, and there’s every reason to believe he’ll do it. You know who that benefits?

Here’s the Google Florida results map, or of course you could follow along in the sidebar with the handy Townhall election widget. Lots of updates coming, especially once we get the full exit polls, so stand by. For what it’s worth, I’ve now settled on a candidate to support in the race. He isn’t perfect — who is? — but he’s more human than Romney and less destructive than Newt. Meet the solution to our problems.

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Update: Let’s get the ball rolling tonight with Rick Tyler of Newt’s Super PAC wondering whether a “birth defect” might be the cause of Romney’s lying.

Update: Most polls in Florida closed at 7 p.m. but the panhandle is open until eight. Even so, as of 7:15 ET, results are already being reported. As I write this Romney has nearly 100,000 votes in the bank and is above 50 percent. Stay tuned.

Update: Romney and his PAC spent $15 million on ads in Florida. Total number of positive ads he ran in the state: One. It ran 15 times. And it wasn’t even in English.

Update: Zeke Miller of BuzzFeed wonders whether and when Newt will follow Hillary’s path from 2008 in rallying behind the nominee in hopes of a cabinet position. My guess, given Gingrich’s temperament: Never. In fact, given how deep the bitterness runs, Newt might take this as his reward:

In a Washington Post/ABC News poll last week, 49 percent of the respondents nationwide held an unfavorable view of Mr. Romney, while only 31 percent had a favorable one. That is a reversal from last September, when more people held a favorable view of Mr. Romney than an unfavorable one.

Independents, in particular, now have a less favorable opinion of Mr. Romney, with favorable opinions dropping from a high in the mid-40s in late November to a low of 23 percent last week, according to the Post/ABC News poll.

Update: Your photo of the day. Think Newt’s pessimistic about tonight?

Update: Just across the wires, Romney’s fundraising haul was as impressive as you’d expect last quarter: $24 million, up from $14 million in the third quarter and more than double Newt’s take of $10 million. Gingrich may want to run for another six or eight months but right now there’s only one guy in the field who can afford to do that in a meaningful way.

Update: Promptly at 8 p.m., everyone calls Florida for Romney. Now we wait for the margin and to see which Newt we get during the concession speech.

Update: Full exit polls from CNN right here. Back in a few minutes with highlights.

Update: The story of the exit polls is simple: Romney beat Gingrich across the board, in virtually every single demographic except the utmost conservative (“strong” tea party supporters, those who say abortion should always be illegal, etc.). A sample of his margins of victory: Women by 22, Latinos by 23, seniors by 17, married women by 23 (Marianne’s revenge?), tea-party supporters by two, Catholics by 26 (likely a byproduct of Romney’s advantage among Latinos), those who said the economy is the most important issue by 20, and even those who say they’re falling behind economically by a single point. As I write this, with two thirds of all precincts reporting, he’s at 46.9 percent. He probably won’t get to 50, but he may very well top the combined total of Gingrich and Santorum, which stands right now at 44.8 percent.

Update: Chris Cillizza notes that not only was the Florida electorate more Republican than that of the previous three states (thanks to the closed primary), it was also more conservative than it was four years ago when McCain won. Expect to see Team Mitt pointing that out early and often tomorrow as proof of his appeal to the right. Meanwhile, John Ellis wonders if the media’s interest in Newt is about to evaporate:

The big dogs, of course, will keep at it. Dan Balz of The Washington Post and John Heilemann of New York Magazine won’t be touched. But everyone who isn’t a brand name political reporter is back on the leash. The army is already starting to demobilize as you read this. It just doesn’t know it yet.

This is how it ends for Newt Gingrich. On the day after the South Carolina primary, he had two busloads of reporters, bloggers and electronic media types following his every word. Tomorrow, he won’t need two buses. He’ll be lucky if the seats are filled on one.

Presidential candidates survive on the oxygen of media coverage. It’s what keeps them going, enables them to keep raising money. Once the coverage is withdrawn, it’s only a matter of time before their candidacies expire. Out of sight, out of mind, out of money.

After tonight, all but one of the GOP presidential candidates will start being taken off life support. By the time we get to Super Tuesday in early March, you probably won’t even remember Rick Santorum’s name.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14 15 16

kingsjester on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Evenin’, kind sir.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

[Comment deleted, user banned -- Ed]

haner on January 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Thank goodness. haner was really starting to grate on me.

KingGold on January 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

No response from bluefox or Right of Way. I was hoping they would. I’d be interested in their reply, and I’m not intending that in a snarky way.

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Hi, I’ve been reading. Then I was trying to find that 10PM comment of yours about Rubio, then back to others that replied to you, LOL Then I lost my place with 2 windows open.

I’ll get to it asap.

bluefox on January 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Did I Miss Anything?

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

..blood on the sand. haner has left us.

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I’ve been over on the Palin/Nevada thread.
Got some praise from some Palin supporters.
That makes me smile

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Good on ya, twerp! *a little Aussie lingo for ya* ;)

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I liked haner. He reminds me of the super evolved jellyfish from Mass Effect.

antisense on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Be careful about elevating Haner’s intelligence to the level of jellyfish–twerp will bring her wrath upon you!

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

My box jellies wish to have…a word with you, antisense…

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Did I Miss Anything?

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Thirteen pages of death and destruction.

cozmo on January 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

LOL! Yeah, I felt kind of guilty just saying it :-)

MJBrutus on January 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I’ll get to it asap.

bluefox on January 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Great. I’d be interested in your perspective. *but it’s getting close to beddy-bye time*

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Glad to see haner banned. A real blessing…

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

What’s truly pathetic is how how some conservatives are so hungry to beat Obama they will blindly follow someone like Romney. They will be greatly disappointed if he wins or loses. If he loses they will realize they were scammed with the “electable” BS. If he wins, they will quickly realize the true nature of Romney.

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM

once again, why do you care anyways? from now on it should be game over for you, you said in no ambiguous terms you wouldn’t vote for Romney in the generals under any circumstances, so why waxing poetic about the future of GOP, who wins, who loses, how we will be sorry etc…let us be sorry, then… why do you care and what’s it to you?….

jimver on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

hat do you think is going happen. Do you think Mitt doesn’t play hardball. I want you to go study venture capitalists…his superpac will power blast the messiah.

Chudi on January 31, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Right. Because Romney has gone easy on Gingrich…

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Some random thoughts, from someone who’s been highly dissatisfied with the GOP field:

I’m going to start investing in bridges. With all the ones being burned on the Primary threads, there’s bound to be a shortage soon, and I’ll clean up.

Whenever I read some of the more ‘colorful’ posts, I imagine the poster as a car salesman berating a potential customer for contemplating buying the “wrong” car. “You effing stupid effer! How the eff could you buy a Brand X, when Brand Y is so much better?! Now, quit being an effing moron and listen to my point of view, agree with me and make the choice I think you should make.”

I like how the strongest reason to vote for Romney is that the alternative is another four years of Obama…instead of, you know, actual reasons to vote for Romney…like a track record of actions, achievements and philosophies on how to get out of this mess we’re in. Also, I enjoy Romney supporters attacking Gingrich’s lack of conservativeness…I just find that funny.

I don’t like Romney because he’s fake, and Gingrich is just a facepalm machine. I despise Obama, but neither of these tools can beat him. Oh, and the first person to tell me, “look, just hold your nose and vote for [candidate]” will get a cookie and a kick in the junk. America deserves better than what we are doing to Her.

Shore up the House, re-take the Senate and gridlock Obama’s lame duck years.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I understand how you feel, I really do. But the idea of seeing his smirking face for another 4 years makes me want to vomit.

kg598301 on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Rasmussen approval rating today: 51%. It hasn’t been above 50% since May, after he got bin Laden. And before that it wasn’t that high for 6 months or so.

It won’t last. Europe is already slipping back into recession.

When gas is $4+/gallon this summer, and it will be by almost all accounts, there will be little to no talk of any signs of economic positives. I recently had a job offer that would have paid me $10,000 more per year but it would have also required me to more than double my daily commute. Hey, a five-figure raise sounds great at first but then you run the numbers and you pay more than double what you are now for gas (with the summer looming) and double the mileage on your vehicle (maintenance, depreciation, wear-and-tear) and it begins to wash itself all out.

Well said. The country is basically split 40-40-20. 40% will vote for a D no matter what. 40% will vote for an R no matter what. The other 20% will vote for the guy that excites them the most. And there is absolutely nothing about Romney that will excite anyone.

I agree with your percentages above, but, there is also absolutely nothing to excite anyone into voting for Obama. He has a record now. A bad one. He has nothing to offer to those 20% other than more of the same. He’ll get the AA vote. He’ll still get a good percentage of the Hispanic vote. But, the wild-eyed young voters and college kids who are still living with their parents and desperate for prospects won’t be there again in the same numbers. The moderates who thought Obama a blank, harmless, canvas onto which to paint whatever mural they wished….reality has hit them.

Obama has a stench of mediocrity and failure about him that emotion won’t cure. It’s impossible that the number of voters who turned out for in ’08 will also do so in ’12. They have no reason to do so.

They have every reason to stay home or vote for someone else.

JoeinTX on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Did I Miss Anything?

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Nah. Nothing you haven’t read 100 times. This is H/A after all.

MJBrutus on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

LOL! Yeah, I felt kind of guilty just saying it :-)

MJBrutus on January 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

..it’ll be our little secret. I love that woman for her kind heart, but clearly the magic has fled.

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I wouldn’t be so pessimistic. People are coming to their senses. The majority of folks can tell that Obama is in over his head. I think that the electorate will break hard against him next October.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I live in a blueish small city in a purple county in a red state. Already I am seeing tons of Obama 2012 stickers on cars. And this is people who know that Obama will lose the state by at least 10%. And still a year from the election they’re involved with the campaign.

My wife’s friends are all bleeding hearts (but also hot so I can’t really be mad at them :). I talked to one of them at New Year’s if she’s still drinking the Obama kool aid. Her reply, I don’t like him that much anymore but the idea of a Republican scares the crap out of me. And this is someone who on paper is the perfect Romney voter…college educated, married, 2 kids, owns guns too. The perfect moderate candidate who is supposed to appeal to this woman and she wants nothing to do with him. My in-laws, again the ideal Romney voters or so you’d think. Retired, fairly well off, not very political, but keep up with the news. Same thing, they think a Republican will mess things up even more.

And yes I realize anectodes != statistics. But in general I don’t know anyone who in 2008 voted for Obama and has had a change of heart.

Romney will be the worst of both worlds. He will not change many Obama voter minds AND he will not excite the base. Might as well save the taxpayers some money and just crown Obama king president for the next 4 years now.

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

antisense,

I tried to warn ya! *run while you can*

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Hmmm. Ron Paul got the pants beat off of him. No surprise there.

minnesoter on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

blood on the sand. haner has left us.

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Wat did he do?

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

cmsinaz on January 31, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Have a great evening! See you in the am! :-)

JonBGood on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

2012: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

2008: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

2004: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice. Did you forget 9/11???

2000: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

1996: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

1992: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

etc.

Fools. All of you.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

twerp,

I usually copy/paste a few threads and email them to my work addy so I can read them the next day while on break *HotAir is blocked but Huffpo isn’t–damned IT libs*. I’ll have to include the Nevada thread in that so I can check it out.

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Wat did he do?

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM

F-bombs.

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:53 PM

And yes I realize anectodes != statistics.

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

..Ed, do you write C, C++, C#, or Java?

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM

kingsjester on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Good Evening! Waiting for your blog post!

JonBGood on January 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Time for Rick Santorum and Doktor Tinfoil to bow out gracefully. This finally *is* a two man race.

minnesoter on January 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Libs aren’t persuadable. They’ll vote Dem, no matter who is on the ballot. The indpendents and the moderates are there for the taking. It’s not a slam dunk, but I like my chances with Romney. And the primaries are turning him into a better candidate. He is going to be very tough to beat in a few months.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

This is the kind of statement that just has me scratching my head.

Midas on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Midas, I happen to believe that he’s telling the truth. Even the great Ronald Reagan went through a conservative transformation of sorts. I know that one of the first rules of political spectators is to be cynical of everything that comes out of a politician’s mouth, but I feel inclined to take Romney at his word on this. And for the record, while he may have RUN as a pro-choice liberal in Massachusetts, he GOVERNED as a pro-life conservative.

In fact, since winning election as governor, his record is pretty danged conservative.

Now I know there is no shortage of HotAir commentors who love to point to MassCare as his great betrayal of conservativism, but he did the absolute best that he could have with the cards he was dealt. And when he says he’s proud of it, I believe that’s what he means. I have yet to hear one reasoned argument from an ABR commenter regarding what they would have had him do differently in with MassCare.

Beyond that, he is apparently a good man who has been faithful to his wife and raised a good family, he’s an extremely successful business man, and I thought he did a hell of job with the Olympics.

If I had to sum it up, everything I know about him leads me to believe that he is a good man, with a good head on his shoulders. That is a great foundation for a good president, which I believe he can become.

Longing4Lincoln on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Borrowed, Chinese, or other Enemy money.

Let’s quit calling it “taxpayer” money until expenditures=tax revenue.

Until that pig flies, it’s our grandchildren’s-debt-money, not “taxpayer” money.

Who is John Galt on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

‘our grandchildren’ are the taxpayers of tomorrow, whichever way you look at it…only they will pay a ‘tad’ more than what we pay :-(…

jimver on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

1. Were you inspired by any of the speeches?

2. Did any of you see the fat lady sing?

3. joana, you told me last night that you were for Mr. Santorum.

4. Bye haner…and, you have zero discipline. You said last night that you’d be gone, forever. You needed the guillotine to cut you off. Seek help.

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

..he was not all that bad. Kinda noble, him committing seppuku in front of all of us.

RIP, old son. I’ll miss you.
The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Since you mentioned seppuku, you might enjoy this:

Inejiro Asanuma

antisense on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

In another thread I posted a Nate Silver tweet saying that turnout was down more than 250,000.

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

2012: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

2008: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

2004: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice. Did you forget 9/11???

2000: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

1996: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

1992: He’s not perfect, but we have no choice.

etc.

Fools. All of you.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Fools? Because we don’t expect a perfect candidate? That sounds realistic to me.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

F-bombs.

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:53 PM

For two days and two nights, all the while threatening to leave, forever.

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

How far from work do you live and what do you drive?

A 25 mile one way commute at 20 MPG and $4 gas is about $2500 in gas. Buy a Prius and that gets cut down to $1000.

As for $4 gas, it won’t be as much of an issue as you think for 2 reasons:

1. The people affected the most – rural voters – won’t vote for Obama to begin with. The people in cities who drive a Prius or take the subway/but to work won’t be affected that much

2. $4 has been with us already. People learned to adjust. If/when it comes back, the shock won’t be there like it was the first time gas hit $4. The first few times I put $100 in the tank of my Suburban I was ready to throw something at someone. Now, meh, it’s just normal. And I only drive the Suburban when I have to…if I need to tow my boat or I’m driving off road in deep snow, etc. The rest of the time I drive my 25 MPG or 30 MPG car. Gas went to $4, I adjusted my driving to compensate. So have millions of others.

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

OK. Lights out at the predator’s lair. Must hunt tomorrow. The weather is good, and the prey is plenty.

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Lolz! Why not rub it in???

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

..Ed, do you write C, C++, C#, or Java?

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Huh? I’m just a dumb redneck toothless Gingrich supporter with a 3rd grade education. I can barely type on the computer keyboard let around write code.

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Fools. All of you.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It is what it is. The people of Florida have spoken. Mitt hasn’t won it yet, but Santorum and Paul are definitely out of the running.

minnesoter on January 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM

My box…wish to have…a word with you, antisense…

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Accepted.

antisense on January 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I agree. Anyone that took the time to do some research on Romney’s record would have known his true nature. Too many people allowed the debates to be the determining factor and listening/watching the talking MSM heads.

People just want to hear a soundbite or have someone tell them who to vote for.

Uninformed Voters/MSM and distorted ads.

bluefox on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

[Comment deleted, user banned -- Ed]

haner on January 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Kudos to you and the rest of the Hot Gas Grand Poobahs

You all have been very fair in not pulling the Ban Hammer arbitrarily, but sometimes you have no choice.

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Of course there is no perfect candidate. But do we always have to settle for someone so far away from perfect?

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM

But what will they vote for? Voting against, I fear, will not be good enough.

Sekhmet on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Since you mentioned seppuku, you might enjoy this:

Inejiro Asanuma

antisense on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Wow! Sure let the air outta that guy. they take their politics serious in over the re in ol’ Nihon. Betcha won’t see anything like that on CSPAN.

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

For two days and two nights, all the while threatening to leave, forever.

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Yep. Twice he said he was done but came back. Now he is done.

‘Night all. *this time I mean it*

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Hircine’s Hunting Grounds await you in the next life!

antisense on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

F-bombs.

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:53 PM

For two days and two nights, all the while threatening to leave, forever.

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I believe he’s the one who F-bombed me the first time I ever noticed his comments.

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM

But what will they vote for?
Sekhmet on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Change. Competence. A fresh start for America.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Relax. If you’ve actually read a real history book, call upon your recollections now and take it in, America has been through much worse and much more than this. Fact.

Boomer_Sooner on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

This country has never had this kind of crushing debt with the country skyrocketing toward bankruptcy, never!! This idea that everything will work out because it has in the past is, to be kind, foolhardy.

Dollayo on January 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM

breaking news: romney to begin receiving secret service protection

cmsinaz on January 31, 2012 at 10:16 PM

cmsinaz:Excellent,Intell Grab:)

canopfor on January 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Fools. All of you.

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

“How About a Little Fire, Scarecrow?”

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Nice people deserve civility and respect. He and Chudi will get theirs. Both claim to be professionals, btw.

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM

AnninCa did that first…

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM

flyfisher on January 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM

If he and Chudi will work to convince the 40% to unite with Romney, it’ll be challenging, not that it’s easy anyway.

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Mitt made fun of Obama’s friends in the faculty lounge? Is that new for him today?

alchemist19 on January 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Dollayo on January 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM

The debt during WWII was pretty similar to now. Of course, we didn’t have to deal witn Medicare in 1945, but we’ll find our way through.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Yeah, politics is nasty. But at the end of the day, do you want Lord Barry to be the one who selects the next 2-3 SCOTUS nominees? I would have preferred a bona fide Tea Partier with impeccable conservative credentials. But meanwhile, back on Earth. We need to get Obama OUT of there and as many Republicans into the Congress as possible — as well as in the myriad state and local offices.

Is this process of taking back the country supposed to be easy?

minnesoter on January 31, 2012 at 11:06 PM

alchemist19 on January 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM

..his acceptance speech was actually pretty good. What was that he said? Something about “..where hope is a renewed feeling not a faded word on an old bumper sticker..”?

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 11:08 PM

The hammer swings and I’m off talking to Allah.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I’ll get to it asap.

bluefox on January 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

predator on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Oh ok. Well, I think Romney’s money and the personal destruction ads against Newt took their toll. Many distorted and lied about Newt’s position. Now, Newt should have stayed on the high road and stayed on policy and his record. He should not have brought himself down to the level of what Romney did in Iowa or forward.

Newt should have reviewed the debate tapes and followed the same policy issues/B.O. policies and Newt’s solutions.

The voters would have come to the right conclusion. Getting into a cat fight with Romney was a big mistake.

That’s my take on it. A fast reply, LOL

bluefox on January 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I missed that! That’s pretty awesome.

Romney also had a pretty good line about Obama’s Magical Misery Tour last summer..

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Ed
If I use an F- bomb will you let me know that you got the email I sent you? ///

Three sarc tags just to be sure you know I’m joking right?

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM

But what will they vote for?
Sekhmet on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Change. Competence. A fresh start for America.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Psst, that’s what they were sold on in 2008 from that other guy. If he was full of BS, they’ll figure they aren’t getting change, competence, or a fresh start from either of them.

Sekhmet on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Romney should remind voters that he didn’t throw his grandmother under a bus & his Da didn’t drive drunk.

BHO Jonestown on January 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

bluefox on January 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM

What did Mitt say untruthfully about Newt in Iowa?

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Oh go f’uck yourself.

haner on January 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Keepin’ it class Mittbot style all day long…

The Fat F’uck is a perfectly appropriate appellation for Newt given his history.

haner on January 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM

angryed on January 31, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I’m suprised he made it till tonight. Looks like I need to find a new nominee for “party unity” chairman.

Night Owl on January 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

MJBrutus on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Look, as impressive as all that you posted is…being a great businessman who knows how to turn losses into gains…that should land him Secretary of the Treasury or Chairman of the Federal Reserve. But Chief Executive of the country? I’ll need more than just, “he makes sound business/investment decisions”. Although the economy is first and foremost, the issues we face are a lot more than just on the financial side.

But, it’s not like my vote matters anyway. My Primary isn’t until June 5th, and I live in the bluest of blue states. If the parties allow the “Decline to State” voters to participate, I could take a Dem ballot and vote for/write in an Obama challenger.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Quit being so paranoid. There are no warnings at HA…

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Hey Dante. Wow it still works. Whew.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM

[Comment deleted, user banned -- Ed]

haner on January 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM

This is why you take on the trolls. They get themselves banned eventually.

Vince on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Real question and I want a honest answer, When Romney says “God bless you and America”… what god is he talking about?

apocalypse on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Me paranoid? Never! I try my hardest to be polite though. Not always an easy task.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Sekhmet on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Whatever. If you want to be negative, suit yourself. Time will tell.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

apocalypse on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Aren’t Mormons Christian? So that would be Christ, correct?

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM

This is why you take on the trolls. They get themselves banned eventually.

Vince on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Got it:-)

bluefox on January 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I guess I like you and I am a hard sell…

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM

How far from work do you live and what do you drive?

As for $4 gas, it won’t be as much of an issue as you think for 2 reasons:

So, trade my 2010 Dodge 1500 pickup that I also use for work outside of my main job…..for a Prius. Nonsensical. I can’t afford to own, register, pay taxes, maintain and license two vehicles for one. A Prius can’t pull a trailer or haul a load in the bed or handle any weight.

My daily commute would have gone from 28 miles per day to 64….for another $10k a year. I would have to buy an additional vehicle for mileage only while keeping my original for versatility. I can afford one vehicle per year. One vehicle that can do as much possible.

Four dollar gas is not unheard of, but it’s not comfortable either. It’s a economic kick in the pants still. And it’s a serious harm to economic recovery.

“Buy a Prius” is not the answer for the average American or me either.

JoeinTX on January 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM

But what will they vote for?
Sekhmet on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Change. Competence. A fresh start for America.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I really envy those that are inspired by and exited about Mitt, How is that possible?

evergreenland on January 31, 2012 at 11:20 PM

kg598301 on January 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Here’s something to make your skin crawl then. Let’s say by some miracle Romney does win and become President. Let’s say he, with the help of a GOP Congress start to slowly, but surely, turn things around. Let’s say that it’s not fast enough for some people and the GOP gets all the blame for it (the MSM will make sure of this). Guess who will be eligible to run for President in 2016 and tear down any progress made?

Oh, Obama has been grounded from my TV. I like my 40″ LCD too much to put my foot through it.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM

What did Mitt say untruthfully about Newt in Iowa?

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I’m not going searching. I’ve heard enough on radio ads/tv/online videos and etc. I don’t document everything I hear, but you can be sure I make a mental note of it.

bluefox on January 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM

DWS openly campaigning for Newt on CNN right now. Amazing. Parroting Sarah Palin’s talking points.

joana on January 31, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Dante on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Paultard conspiracists all butthurt Herr Doktor lost…again.

catmman on January 31, 2012 at 11:23 PM

[Comment deleted, user banned -- Ed]

haner on January 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM

This is why you take on the trolls. They get themselves banned eventually.

Vince on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

By flaming out in spectacular fashion!

We’ve seen it here before, it always happens real quick. “Flame out” is actually a reasonable description, as what gets them in trouble is comparable to jet pilots trying to suddenly go fast and then blowing their engines out.

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM

“Buy a Prius” is not the answer for the average American or me either.

JoeinTX on January 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM

My brother-in-law(former USN officer) had a prius for awhile. He’s keeping it for the two teenagers now while he and sister-in-law drive the Camaro.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 11:25 PM

apocalypse on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Aren’t Mormons Christian? So that would be Christ, correct?

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM

If you engage him you’ll regret it.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Did I mention a little piece of swampland down in south Ga I can let you have cheap. Some have said there might be oil on it. What do say? Care to have a look. Couldn’t hurt to have a look. Its just a short drive, its a nice day for a drive, don’t ya think?

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM

apocalypse on January 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Joseph Smith?

/jk

Aizen on January 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM

evergreenland on January 31, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I just want to be rid of Obama. At the very least, I think that Romney is a decent man, which would be a welcome change from the current occupant of the WH. Besides, I think that Mitt is more conservative than we may realize. I remain cautiously optimistic that a conservative Congress will help Romney set a positive agenda. I don’t see what is so hard to understand about that. We ive in a great country, and we’ll be okay once we get the leftist out of the WH.

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:27 PM

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Oh, you have to read that with a heavy Southern draw.

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:28 PM

[Comment deleted, user banned -- Ed]

haner on January 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Thanks Ed…

… Much appreciated!

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM

..or like “Thud Jocks” in ‘Nam. They’d fly up next to a Mig and blow up. Do that four more times and you’re an ace.

Oh, wait.

The War Planner on January 31, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Confirmed: at least 750K Republican voters in Florida have no idea what Romney did as governor of MA.

besser tot als rot on January 31, 2012 at 11:29 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Alt I can’t get engaged, 27 years happily married don’t ch know?

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Second wind?

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:30 PM

By flaming out in spectacular fashion!

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM

How much roe do they generally give folks before banning them? Is it one strike, and you’re out, or do you have to work at it to get banned?

ghostwriter on January 31, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Bmore on January 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Macon County

RickB on January 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM

1. Were you inspired by any of the speeches?

2. Did any of you see the fat lady sing?

3. joana, you told me last night that you were for Mr. Santorum.

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

1. I have no idea who you are.

2. You’re creeping me out with the constant stalking.

3. I never told you that I was for Santorum. I never talked to you. I never wrote here I was for Santorum – especially because I’m not. You keep making up random stuff about me day after day since I started bringing links about Newt. You, with all due respect, are a creeper. What kind of person goes around a site inventing stuff like this about other commentators? Geez, get a life already.

joana on January 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I am worried that Romney winning tonight weakens the Supreme court case for throwing out Obamacare. Will the Justices not only look at the law but at public sentiment – that either way one votes in Nov that the person they are voting for is either the architect of Romneycare or the driver of Obamacare and go along with public sentiment and rule that it is constitutional?

That is what I think Florida just threw away. Undoing Obamacare.

PS:Not that I am a Gingrich or Santorum fan, for I was hoping others would run.

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM