Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on January 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We interrupt our parade of SOTU fumbles to bring this curious moment from yesterday, in which Barack Obama engaged voters in a Google+ “hangout,” ie, a video town hall. One voter asked Obama to explain why he has not curtailed the issuance of H1B visas in the engineering field, as her husband has not been able to find work in his field despite having 10 years of experience. Instead of commiserating with the woman about the situation — and perhaps blaming it on those rich so-and-sos sitting on capital instead of expanding investment — Obama instead tells the woman that while he doesn’t know what her husband does, Obama’s sure he shouldn’t be unemployed … at least according to his own understanding of the economy:

During his Google+ hangout Pres. Obama tells a woman that her husband shouldn’t be unemployed from the growth he has seen in the economy. Obama said he finds it “interesting” because he is getting “the word” that someone in her husband’s job field “should be able to find something right away.” …

The woman wants to know why Obama is extending visas for foreigners when there is tons of demand for American jobs by Americans.

“I don’t know what your husband’s speciality [is], but I can tell you that there is a huge demand around the country for engineers,” Obama told the woman.

A “huge” demand for semiconductor engineers? Perhaps, but the Bureau of Labor Statistics puts the computer and electronic products industry (the employment category in which this job falls) at 36th in employment growth for November to December, with only 200 jobs added nationwide. That was an improvement over the previous three months, which averaged a decline of 1900 jobs a month in that period.  Small wonder the wife asked why H1B visas continued to be issued in this industry.

We’re left with one of two conclusions. Either Barack Obama knows this industry like the back of his hand, better than the BLS, and the husband is some kind of slacker, or Obama doesn’t have the grasp of the economy that he thinks he does. Give Obama this much credit: at least he refrained this time from assuming out loud that the husband acted stupidly.

Comments

Door #2 monty

cmsinaz on January 31, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Cutting back on H1B visas would help.

Al in St. Lou on January 31, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Zero clue!

angrymike on January 31, 2012 at 8:10 AM

The Pres. commented stupidly.

hillsoftx on January 31, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Just another example of Barry’s narcissism. He always thinks he knows more than anyone else, but the reality is that he is shockingly ignorant on most topics, but too in love with himself to even consider the possibility that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

AZCoyote on January 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Stop – just STOP

I just can’t take anymore from this…this…aarrrgh

Sue Doenim on January 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM

When you are surrounded by yes men its all good in your world

cmsinaz on January 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Clearly, a beer summit is needed.

csdeven on January 31, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Just pulling it out of his bony a@@, as usual.

Naturally Curly on January 31, 2012 at 8:14 AM

B-b-b-but he created 22 milion jobs; surely the lady’s husband can get one of those….

apostic on January 31, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Good one apostic :)

cmsinaz on January 31, 2012 at 8:17 AM

He is just so awful one on one with people. I mean, when he started to answer her question “Well I don’t know what type of engineer your husband is but…” I assumed that the question wasn’t live and there was no opportunity for feedback. Then nearly two minutes in–after he pontificated tediously–when the woman replied I just sat there thinking “You moron, why on EARTH didn’t you respond to her initial question by asking for more information before you speculated?” I know lots of folks here hated Clinton, but for God’s sakes, that’s exactly what he would have done. He would have had a brief dialog with the lady before the dance. Obama can’t even do that; he’s got to right away tell everybody what’s in his mind before he even gets all the facts. That is the short definition of a narcissist.

radjah shelduck on January 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Ruh roh, he’s been looking again at his “profit and earning ratios“.

Clueless, and a know-it-all to boot.

petefrt on January 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I’m not sure how these visas are used in tech industries, but I have some knowledge with how special work visas are used in agriculture.
Farmers & ranchers have a really hard time hiring people who are skilled.
And yes, it takes skill to work with animals, or bees or run a combine etc.
You cannot find reliable employees in America for these industries.
I can’t tell you of all the stories about hired farm hands who are incompetent or steal or just run off in the dead of night & never come back during a critical time like harvest.
No, the pay is not necessarily the best in the world. But it IS work to be had & it’s possible to make a living by it & it’s also possible if you get with the right place to make a go of it on your own.
I know many farmers & ranchers that have helped their hired hands get into the business with bonuses like gifting them cows/livestock or some land & the use of the boss’s equipment to put in their own little crop.
The people doing these jobs are usually foreigners coming from places like N. & S. Africa & S. America & Mexico.
So I’m not quite sure about the tech industry, but unfortunately, even though there is a lot of work available in agriculture, there’s not a lot of willing Americans for those jobs.
Keep in mind I’m not talking about the ag companies that want cheapo workers. I’m talking about farmers & ranchers who want a hired man to STAY.

Badger40 on January 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM

From the man who engineered the collapse of a whole country’s economy, he does know a lot about engineering.

No Niks on January 31, 2012 at 8:24 AM

radjah shelduck on January 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Love him/hate him – Bill Clinton was one of the best politicians this country has ever seen.

gophergirl on January 31, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I’ll go for what’s behind Door #3!!!!

pilamaye on January 31, 2012 at 8:28 AM

When I saw “Maybe her husband acted stupidly”, I thought surely you were going to say something about Mrs. Obama.

backwoods conservative on January 31, 2012 at 8:28 AM

He always thinks he knows more than anyone else

AZCoyote on January 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Personally I get the impression that he knows he doesn’t know jack, but thinks everyone else is so dumb in comparison that he can spout all manner of crap and people will believe him. Just an opinion.

As for this woman with the unemployed husband … Chances are, if you’re at a barky “hangout”, then you’re one of his faithful followers. If you voted for it lady, then you own it.

Lost in Jersey on January 31, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Surely it is Bush’s fault. The look on her face was priceless, btw.
He also spoke with a homeless, iraq veteran and neglected to thank him for his service which is the obligatory first thing you say to any veteran, I would think.
The thing was contrived and awkward. The top voted questions referenced legalizing pot and yet not one of those questions were asked.

ctmom on January 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

He thought it was a Train Engineer for that boondoggle in Calif.

Dingbat63 on January 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Interesting apparently means “your husband must be some kind of a pathetic loser.”

And BTW Barry whatever growth there is in the economy is not enough to generate the fictional jobs you claim you created or saved.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I’ll take “Clueless” for $500, Ed.

MisterElephant on January 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM

There’s something kind of fishy about saying, this far into the Great Recession which started at the end of 2008, that H1B visas are for positions that companies have trouble filling.

This implies that there are jobs they’ve had trouble filling through 2009, and 2010, and 2011. And that we needed to keep the H1B visa program running this whole time.

Dextrous on January 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM

AZCoyote on January 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Coyote, I probably bring that up on my computer to re-read once very two months. It’s just unreal. How a politician who says that we may look back on his nomination as the moment the planet began to heal can be taken seriously by anyone is just the ultimate proof that liberals are like a cult.

radjah shelduck on January 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM

ctmom on January 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I’d rather traitors like Obama NOT thank vets for their service. We all know that it would be insincere and that is worse than not acknowledging military service in the first place.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Absolutely no empathy. He’s revealing his cold self not the cool one.

Kissmygrits on January 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Is her husband a tax cheat? If so he should add that to his resume, PBHO could get him a job in his administration right away.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Lost in Jersey on January 31, 2012 at 8:29 AM

In other words, what the President ought to have said was this.

Libraritarian on January 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM

He thought it was a Train Engineer for that boondoggle in Calif.

Dingbat63 on January 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Exactly. Obama thinks a semiconductor engineer drives a train part-time.

The Rogue Tomato on January 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Send your resume to Brock! He’s now a professional resume reviewer!

Key West Reader on January 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM

He thought it was a Train Engineer for that boondoggle in Calif.

Dingbat63 on January 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Exactly. Obama thinks a semiconductor engineer drives a train part-time.

The Rogue Tomato on January 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM

You two owe me a keyboard. Nicely done.

Lost in Jersey on January 31, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Probably because the lickspittles in PBHO’s inner circle are only there for the perks just as he is. They know PBHO doesn’t really care and possesses zero skills to get anything done if he did care, so they sugarcoat everything.

In the last days of this administration there will be a mad scramble to steal anything not bolted to the walls or floor; the rats will be jamming their suitcases with everything from silverware to ashtrays.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 8:41 AM

That’s funny, on the Yahoo home page the online chat didn’t make it into their “news” cycle. It’s almost as if they realized he fell on his face and didn’t want to highlight it.

Hmmm.

rihar on January 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I think every one under the age of 72 should send him their resumes and then he would find out just how many are smarter than him and have way more experience. Although I’m not sure the O should have that much info on his citizens.

My husband is in diecasting manufacturing and he’s busier than a dog with fleas in July right now, but it’s always feast or famine in that industry. Thank God, at present it is feast. It could change with the next Friday’s news dump.

elm on January 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM

@ Bishop
What a beautiful sounding phrase: “In the last days of this administration.”

elm on January 31, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Since JugEars has pivoted, turned and pivoted and focused again and again, and has not rested his laser beamed priorities on the economy and jobs…I’m sure he has an Imperial handle on the economy.

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM

@ Bishop
What a beautiful sounding phrase: “In the last days of this administration.”

elm on January 31, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I saw that and wet myself!
Much more of that and I will have to purchase DEPENDS, in bulk.

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Because this is exactly what every husband wants to hear: “When I talked to the President, he said you shouldn’t have a hard time finding a job. So why don’t you have one already?!”

pookysgirl on January 31, 2012 at 8:53 AM

elm on January 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM

And make it that much easier for these people to create a database of those to be sent to FEMA re-education camps? No thank you.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Ed…heh! Now you’re issuing credit for Obama failing to verbalize what you know he thinks…..

mad skillz.

ted c on January 31, 2012 at 8:58 AM

elm on January 31, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Let’s just hope it comes sooner rather than later, preferably by having PBHO and Mooch running across the the White House roof towards a hovering chopper, just steps in front of an enraged crowd of Americans.

Bishop on January 31, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Obama offered to do something if she would just send him her husband’s resume.I suggest all 24 million unemployed forward their resumes to Hussain for seems to have contacts in the industry.

Sticky Wicket on January 31, 2012 at 8:58 AM

pookysgirl on January 31, 2012 at 8:53 AM

LOL! Too true.

What I would like to know is how this woman got to ask her question. Obama doesn’t often do unscripted and for one of us serfs to mention unemployment is an affront to the king! I’m guessing there were black helicopters over that woman’s house last night.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 9:01 AM

“You say yor hubbie is an engineer? Wells, we gots plenty of potential jobs for engineers. Afterall, who’s gonna drive all them high-speed rail trains all over the place?”

coldwarrior on January 31, 2012 at 9:08 AM

It took me 35 minutes to find the H1B woman’s husband,from the Google + hangout with JugEars…
There’s a picture of him talking to a police officer on Ed’s 8:40 thread in San Fran.

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM

backwoods conservative on January 31, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I thought this was going to be about MO’s $50,000 lingerie shopping spree.

Fallon on January 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM

“HIV visas? Didn’t know they were givin’ out no HIV visas.” declared the Prezdit. “H1B? What’s that?”

coldwarrior on January 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I thought this was going to be about MO’s $50,000 lingerie shopping spree.

Fallon on January 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM

She could spend a million and it wouldn’t be enough to get me interested in her.

backwoods conservative on January 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Only white RAACCCISTS are unemployed.

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 9:21 AM

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Imperial? I know he killed the economy, but when Emperor Palpatine President Obama kill the Republic?

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I thought this was going to be about MO’s $50,000 lingerie shopping spree.

Fallon on January 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Hey, be fair! That much yardage gets expensive.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Sorry, I left out the word “did” from my post at 9:26 AM. My previous post should have read as follows:

Imperial? I know he killed the economy, but when did Emperor Palpatine President Obama kill the Republic?

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Gladtobehere on January 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

It has been a slow death but the first sign was when he allowed black racists to get away with armed confrontation with voters. Followed closely by over twenty unelected and unconfirmed individuals who have set up a shadow government within the White House. Then there was the indivudual mandate for healthcare. And more recently, making “recess appointments” when Congress was in session.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Obummy: “Heh, let’s put that one in the “Job Saved”category! I said it, so it shall be true…”

askwhatif on January 31, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I thought this was going to be about MO’s $50,000 lingerie shopping spree.

Fallon on January 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM

But at least it wasn’t Tiffany’s./s

(snark shall remain on)

askwhatif on January 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Obama clearly understands social engineers. All the other engineers, not so much.

dddave on January 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM

It would be great if all the unemployed people in the US decided to mail in their resumes to BHO.

poppieseeds on January 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM

“Let me be clear. Your husband is a slack jawed loser. You need to spread your booty around.”

NotCoach on January 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Bishop@8:58am
What a great mental picture, Zero with paintings and mooch with a huge purse with silver and silverware dropping, out I can see that perfectly!

angrymike on January 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The screener for these questions should definitely be fired. How was that question allowed?

Asking President Pookie about private sector employment (in high tech no less) makes as much sense as asking a box of rocks to explain quantum mechanics.

CorporatePiggy on January 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Send me your resume campaign donation and I’ll forward it to the people I know crony capitalists and you’ll get lots of money.

FIFY Barry….

moo on January 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

It’s all been said upthread, but if you want the blog hit, here’s mine:

For such a brilliant politician, completely amateurish in the way he interacted with the woman, not even to ask her what kind of engineer her husband is. As someone already said, that’s what Clinton would have done: shown a little empathy for the woman’s personal situation, then tossed out a platitude. Only the empathy would be remembered.

Completely out of his depth on the facts about jobs, the economy, the impact of H1Bs on employment, etc. I’m not sure that even “amateurish” does justice to the abysmal ignorance and insouciance.

de rigueur on January 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

“Oh, your husband wants a job in engineering? Well, you didn’t say that. I know there’s jobs at Wendys. Fast food is booming these days.”

Allahs vulva on January 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Joe Isuzu couldn’t have put it better.

Sowell Disciple on January 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

A “huge” demand for semiconductor engineers?

Well, yeah! You just have to go to Singapore or China.

Dexter_Alarius on January 31, 2012 at 10:31 AM

There’s an old proverb that goes like this:

“He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool – shun him.

He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple – teach him.

He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep – wake him.

He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise – follow him.”

Gee, which one do you think Øbama is? (Hint: You don’t even have to go past the first line)

UltimateBob on January 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM

bumbling idiot….
no teleprompter

JustJP on January 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM

The H1B program allows companies to “enslave” bright foriegn workers for 5 years while they jump ahead of the line and work on their citizenship. I worked for a co that did this, it had a large legal group responsible for helping these folks cross t’s and dot i’s in the H1B program. It hired them for a low wage (for and advanced degree engineer) and kept them there thruout the pgm. If they were fired/laid off they had 1 month to find a job or get sent back. We would be better off directing our college grants and loans at the professions we need.

If the calculus sequence and engineering physics sequence were free to those that passed, we would have many more engineers.

KenInIL on January 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM

@Allahs vulva on January 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM

You got your hamburger engineers, your barissta engineers, your grocery packers engineers and your Walmart greeter engineers…and don’t forget the picking up the poop O has left behind engineers.

elm on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM

The “surreal” presidency.

Tim_CA on January 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM

A “huge” demand for semiconductor engineers?

Huge demand for lobotomy performers, for people who vote such a dummy to be their president.

The guy is clueless.

Then, the acts like a capo, to change the subject, and asks for his resume.

What if all the unemployed send him their resumess?

He’ll put them all on welfars.

He is the Welfare President, The Cash 4 Clunkers Pimp, and he has a carnival, with Holder and Biden at the front.

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Allahs vulva on January 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Good grief, what a handle. LOLOL!!

MisterElephant on January 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Badger40 on January 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Sure, this trained engineer should have to learn a new trade (farming or ranching) so Obama can continue to import engineers! Makes sense to me. NOT

katablog.com on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Beer summit!

GarandFan on January 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I thought this was going to be about MO’s $50,000 lingerie shopping spree.

Fallon on January 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Hot Air is not going to go there. Might get audited or something.

BTW, an excellent example of why the British papers are doing so well in the USA, they are fearless.

slickwillie2001 on January 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM

We interrupt our parade of SOTU fumbles…

Every time I see “SOTU” my brain interprets it as “STFU”.

Wishful thinking? Or Freudian mental slip…

HilliardPatriot on January 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM

The semiconductor industry is finally on a moderate rise again after about 8 months of steady decline. Thanks to the people who decry the “rich getting richer”, and their monetary mismanagement, only the strongest chipmakers survived the period without substantial difficulty. This is especially true in the U.S., where the big names gained market-share through the destruction of smaller chip foundries under the burden of anti-business regulations.

Too bad nobody like Ayn Rand ever suggested that this scenario was a possibility, it might have provided the wisdom and common sense to avoid it. Or not.

Freelancer on January 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I have no words…”Send me his resume…” Really??? Wha??

mlewis7299 on January 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM

This fellow doesn’t have a job because he is driving an imaginary 8mpg giant truck, instead of a non-existent hybrid van.

The Schaef on January 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Why should he send a resume?

B.O. believes we all work for the government already…it should be on file…

ProfShadow on January 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

You can’t have seen it all. It’s Obama.

PopsRacer on January 31, 2012 at 1:04 PM

So says the media-fabricated genius who in reality isn’t so bright and has absolutely NO people sense.

I really question more the intelligence of the people who still support this president.

From the wisest man who ever lived:

“God catches those who think they are wise in their own cleverness”
Corinthians 3:19

bailey24 on January 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM

He appears to be saying to her:

To me, all engineers look alike.

EconomicNeocon on January 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Just goes to show ya how dumb Obammy reall is. He tries to fake it and only makes himself look like more of a moron! Just hope the caller understood how full of it Obammy is.

jqc1970 on January 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM

apostic on January 31, 2012 at 8:16 AM

And saved a gazillion more!
Because he is the one! … We’ve been waiting for!!

Sounds like some line from a cheap Alex Baldwin “B” movie! Or a comic book, I m just not sure? Or could be reused for a Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, movie like Airplane!

Obama: It was a rough place – the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It’s worse than Detroit

Controller: I know but this guy has no flying experience at all. He’s a menace to himself and everything else in the air… yes, birds too.

Gunderson: He’s all over the place! Nine hundred feet up to 1300 feet. What an a$$hole!

Obama: Do you know what it’s like to fall in the mud and get kicked… in the head… with an iron boot? Of course you don’t, no one does. It never happens. It’s a dumb question… skip it.

Hillary : You got a letter from headquarters this morning.
Obama: What is it?
Hillary: It’s a big building where generals meet, but that’s not important.

Hillary: You’d better tell the captain we’ve got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.
Obama: A hospital? What is it?
Hillary: It’s a big building with patients, but that’s not important right now.

DSchoen on January 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

His handlers must be tearing their hair out every time this fool goes off-cuff. Remember this little gem—

Xyz22 on January 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Lemme just eat my waffle?

Obama: A hospital? What is it?
Hillary: It’s a big building with patients, but that’s not important right now.

DSchoen on January 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Obowma: ” I picked the wrong day to quit snorting coke”.

dthorny on January 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM

apostic on January 31, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Or could be reused for a Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, movie like Airplane!

DSchoen on January 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Heh. All those Airplane! riffs followed — yet no “And don’t call me Shirley!”

apostic on February 1, 2012 at 3:10 AM

In all honesty, I respect what Obama said here. It is very easy to use what he said as a spark for populist anger. However, I have also heard numerous reports that engineering, specifically in the computer sector, is one of the best industries today.

netster007x on February 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM