Gingrich to Santorum: Get lost

posted at 9:15 am on January 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday it was the Gingrich campaign that began complaining publicly about Rick Santorum’s continued presence in the race costing them a shot a Florida.  Today, it’s the candidate himself:

GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich says rival Rick Santorum should take a look at the poll numbers, which show Gingrich beating him, and drop out.

“The longer conservatives stay split, the harder it’s going to be for us to [beat Romney],” Gingrich said on FOX and Friends on Tuesday. “And I think that we risk not being able to beat Obama unless we get a conservative. I have to win the nomination.”

Santorum is sapping conservative votes from Gingrich, the former House speaker said.

Oddly, Gingrich didn’t appear as principled on the subject of conservative consolidation when Santorum won Iowa and Gingrich finished fourth, nor when Santorum narrowly edged Gingrich for fourth place in New Hampshire.  If he was concerned about a conservative sacrificing to make sure a conservative alternative had the strength to beat Mitt Romney at that time, Gingrich didn’t pull a muscle leaping out of his chair to volunteer.  Needless to say, neither has Santorum, who told Gingrich in response to run his own campaign:

“I don’t think either one of them are the right choice,” Santorum said, referring to Gingrich and front-runner Mitt Romney. “And if you want to look at the real conservative, we’re the real conservative that can win.”

Santorum touted his victory in Iowa as an advantage he still holds over both candidates.

“Neither Governor Romney nor Newt Gingrich had run as a conservative in a state we had to win. …. I’ve done it,” Santorum said.

Actually, Santorum was talking about Pennsylvania in that statement, not Iowa.  Santorum won’t ask Gingrich to pull out:

Santorum tells Fox News Channel that one candidate shouldn’t tell another “to get out of the race and get out of the way.” …

Santorum says he thinks he’s the better, more conservative candidate himself — but that wouldn’t justify asking Gingrich to quit. He says, “Everybody should run.”

It’s hard to square this notion of Santorum depriving Gingrich of a Florida victory with reality.  First, Florida isn’t really a deeply conservative state, and Santorum wasn’t much of a threat to anyone there after falling far off the pace in South Carolina, where he should have been more of a a threat, especially after winning Iowa.  That didn’t keep Gingrich from scoring a double-digit victory in the Palmetto State with Santorum on the ticket.  Nor did Santorum’s presence in Florida keep Gingrich from rolling up an impressive polling lead early last week, both in the state and nationally.

Gingrich didn’t lose that lead to Santorum, who has barely budged at all from the low double digits in the last two weeks.  He lost support to Romney, thanks to a couple of poor debate performances and this kind of angry, whining behavior on the campaign trail.  It seems that Gingrich wants to find someone to take the blame for a Florida flop, and anyone will do but himself.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

MarkCasper on January 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I was for one Rick-now I support the other one.
It’s that simple.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Newt is secretly offering Santorum the Admiralty of the Sea of Tranquility position if he bows out.

His selling point: “Look, the Moon is the most conservative satellite in our solar system. It always faces the same direction!”

profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Newt is right on this one.

We are obviously splitting the conservative vote, putting Mitt out front.

I think that’s what Rick Santorum wants… Mitt to win.

stenwin77 on January 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

ToddPA on January 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Todd, I know you from another site. :) :)

You do know that Gingrich praised Romney for Romneycare and even teamed up with Hilary to promote National Healthcare and supported a mandate. He also praised parts of Obamacare and up until a few months ago, wanted to keep parts of it intact.

Santorum has always been for total repeal.

I don’t want Mitt or Newt but there is no way I could ever vote for Gingrich.

fight like a girl on January 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I’m getting a little tired of Newt!
Because of his mouth, when he’s not in front of a national audience…I always wanted him for a VP because of his insider knowledge, and what he did in the 90′s.
I look at Joe Biden…and whatever ca-ca comes out of Newt’s mouth, would be nothing compared to the krap that comes out of that hair plug.As a VP…what could go wrong?
Now, I want Santy for either spot.

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Newt: you get lost. I like Palin, but can’t stand you.

ConservativePartyNow on January 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I like Santorum’s policy positions and the fact he doesn’t have Newt’s baggage.

I’ve given money to Rick and I can see myself campaigning for Santorum.

I have no desire to campaign for RINO-Romney and too emabarrassed to campaign for Newt.

WisRich on January 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

This is who he is. A man who is completely unable to control his ego. He has ALWAYS been this way. Why in God’s name would anyone want that type of narcissistic personality making life or death decisions? We already have a narcissist in the White House. Gingrich is even MORE egotistical than Barry.

Santorum sets my teeth on edge, and I am confident he could never win the general, but I’d be a whole lot more confident with him in power than Newt anyday. I think it’s going to be painful to watch Newt keep setting his own ass on fire.

BettyRuth on January 31, 2012 at 9:45 AM

And remember, this is the guy who Palin is kinda / sorta endorsing.

Vyce on January 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I was for one Rick-now I support the other one.
It’s that simple.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

So you want Mitt Romney for our Nominee.

You are most entitled to your opinion and your pick … This is America after all…

But while you, and other conservatives, who consistently ignore reality will have your brief satisfaction … We, will continue to suffer through Doles, McCains and Romneys as the price of your shortsightedness.

And as a bonus … we will get to listen to all of you bitch while we go down in flames with our “electable” choice. … Ignoring the irony that it was you who placed us in that position.

MarkCasper on January 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Newt’s losing it. His delusions of grandeur are getting the better of him.

rockmom on January 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

so the choice is between a psychotically angry religious fanatic statist closet case, a fat pompous windbag statists or nice hair? Great 4 more years of Barry Downgrade.

Your Mamma loves me on January 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

See what a good man Rick Santy is…look at the picture!
If it were me…there would only be one finger showing!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Keep boosting Romney Hot Air! He’s just the kind of heartfelt and aggressive conservative to champion our cause! It has nothing to do with personal ambition, it’s all about the conservative agenda to Mitt, as it alway has been!

Sorry, just trying to get a laugh out of this travesty.

In all seriousness, if Mitt gets nominated and loses to Obama, the beltway politicans, the talking heads, and the bloggers who put such a gratuitous effort into slamming Newt shouldn’t be criticized if BHO takes the oath of office again. They should be ignored….avoided like the plague.

Reggie1971 on January 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

It’s amusing watching Ed and all the Mitt-nuts tearing down Newt by talking up Santorum…knowing full well that Santorum would turn into a little mouse if Romney’s PAC has gone after him with 15 Million attack ads.

Again. Mitt Romney and and his supporters tactic is obvious: Conquer by DIVIDING the huge anti Romney vote. What better way to do it than turn Newt and Rick supporters against each other?

If I were a Santorum supporter, I would vote Newt in Florida because it would keep the contest going. Santorum is gaining NADA if Romney wins Florida.

jules on January 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

And remember, this is the guy who Palin is kinda / sorta endorsing.

Don’t worry she’ll quit that position soon enough.

Your Mamma loves me on January 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I think Gingrich and Santorum should quit.
Romney is the guy. If you want Gingrich based on principals you have fraudulent pricipals. Gingrich has not demnstrated conservatism in the last 5 years. It is just a false selling point for his campaign. Santorum couldnt win in a general if Obama spotted him 20 points.

ObamatheMessiah on January 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Santorum has always been for total repeal.

I don’t want Mitt or Newt but there is no way I could ever vote for Gingrich.

fight like a girl on January 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

howdy “fight like a girl”

yeah, I hear ya…we have a sad mess on our hands.I only
had one person who I backed and that originated from 2008.

Alas…

ToddPA on January 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Oh Newt, just can’t keep that loud mouth shut long enough for your brain to catch up, can you?

TQM38a on January 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Annoy a Newt-ist~ vote Santorum!
Rage Against the Man in the Moon!
profitsbeard on January 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Our new motto!
fight like a girl on January 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I’m in!
annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Did I pass through a ‘worm hole’ while I was sleeping? : O

listens2glenn on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

fight like a girl on January 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I like your name. But it makes me think your real name might be Newton Leroy Gingrich.

rogaineguy on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

If you want Gingrich based on principals you have fraudulent pricipals.

Four balanced budgets in a row sounds like good principals to me.

Please cite a major conservative achievement of Mitt Romney. Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

Reggie1971 on January 31, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I think Gingrich and Santorum should quit.

ObamatheMessiah on January 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

“Gingrich has not demonstrated conservatism in the last 5 years”

And ROMNEY has NEVER demonstrated Conservatism…

Romey’s ENTIRE campaign is a false selling point…

And no, under these economic conditions I’d say Santorum
Versus Obama is even up. Of coure you’re welcome to buy into
idiotic polling before our nominee is chosen.

ToddPA on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

MarkCasper on January 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM
It’s so big of you to agree that I have the right to my opinion and all that.
///
I was a Perry supporter who switched to Newt-despite my MAJOR issues with his inability to keep his zipper zipped(Newt’s a year older than my MOTHER-Calista is 4 years older than ME)but I’m sick of his tantrums, his pandering, his narcissism.
While I’m more libertarian than Santorum on a few issues and disagree with his vote against right-to-work and his support for Snarlin’ Arlen’…I think he has class, has character, has strong convictions. He’s a good, decent man. In Yiddish a man like Santorum is referred to as a Mensch. Right now-this country could use a mensch.
I’ve had enough of the Newt/Mitt follies.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

listens2glenn on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I switched my support yesterday.
Read my comment before this one.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

fight like a girl on January 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM

After Perry dropped out I switched to Newt…but Newt’s schtick has grown old.
I’ve had enough of it.
Go Santorum.
annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Did I pass through a ‘worm hole’ while I was sleeping? : O
listens2glenn on January 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I guess I did! : )

listens2glenn on January 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I’ve been supporting Gingrich’s candidacy through pretty much the entire election season, and even I am getting tired of his whining.

I suppose it would be nice if there were only one conservative in the race, but Newt’s not losing ground in Florida because of Santorum, he’s losing ground because of himself.

Rick, stay in the race as long as you like, and let’s hope the voting Republican base wakes up and says “HELL, no, we’re not fronting a candidate whose only electoral achievement was to win a governorship while running as a PROGRESSIVE.”

philwynk on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Don’t worry she’ll quit that position soon enough.

Your Mamma loves me on January 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Todd Palin is actively campaigning for him. Newt said so last night on Hannity and I believe Drudge has something up on it. This is a bad move by the Palins. Shoulda stood clear of them all.

a capella on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Why’s a Roman Catholic … oh, NVM. :)

Axe on January 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Santorum to Gingrich: Hell, heck, no! I’m gonna stay in this race along with you and Ron Paul, and help divide the 60% anti-Mitt vote, giving Mitt an “impressive” 40% majority!

Scriptor on January 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Take your average Pennsylvania Republican. I’m sure he or she is thinking to themselves, a fellow northeasterner at the top of the ticket like Romney would be much better for the Republican Party on the whole, than a problematic, gaffe’ prone Georgian.

ericdondero on January 31, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I’m in PA, but I lived in Texas for 15 years. I don’t think people are as regional as you think. Not voting for Romney. I could vote for Santorum, but he hasn’t really gotten much support up to now. I don’t know how he’s managed to stay in it this long. I’d rather have a gaffe’ prone Georgian than a liberal to moderate republican from anywhere.

Night Owl on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I’ve had enough of the Newt/Mitt follies.
annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

NOT ME.

I’m enjoying watching them “beat each other to a pulp.”

Seriously, the best chance Rick has is for Newt to stay in.

listens2glenn on January 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM

jules on January 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

This.

I’ll add Santorum has no shot at winning. He’s hanging around because he thinks he’s got nothing to lose. Well, he does. He needs to take himself out of the race and go home to help his wife take care of that sweet baby Isabella 24/7.

gracie on January 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Reggie1971 on January 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

As should any “true conservative” who sits out the election or votes third party out of pique.

Vyce on January 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Why doesn’t everybody just shut up about who should stay, who should go, who the polls favor, saying it’s over, telling us to settle this now, prognosticating on what can or can’t or will or won’t happen. I notice how well all those crystal balls worked 4 years ago and I see how electable McShame turned out to be.

Let the majority of us voters who’ve not spoken yet have the chance to cast our vote. Just STFU and let the process play out. And if you haven’t checked it out yet, make sure you know how your state’s primary or caucus works and how convention delegates get selected and allocated. It’s not all about the candidate who gets all the statewide votes.

stukinIL4now on January 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM

For conservatives that think Romney is unacceptable as a nominee because of RomneyCare, at least Santorum makes a lot more sense than Newt, who has been consistently on the record supporting health care mandates on a federal level.

I don’t think Santorum can beat Obama, but he wouldn’t be a train wreck like Newt would be on a variety of levels. If it were Santorum vs Obama, I see a 49-51 race where we would keep the House and probably take the Senate. With Newt, I could see some sort of disaster scenario where half of Republicans just stay home and Democrats control Congress for a generation and Obama gets a blank check mandate.

Santorum is just a little over the top with the social conservatism for swing voters (ie abortion should be illegal even in cases of rape) and the fact he lost Pennsylvania by nearly 20 points despite outspending his opponent 2 to 1 tells me he’s not a very electable Republican, but he’s certainly up for the job and wouldn’t embarrass Republicans.

BradTank on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM

philwynk on January 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

“Whining.” I love it. So, when Newt tries to defend himself from the multi-million dollar attack ads from Romney, he’s “whining,” eh?

Just to be clear, whenever Newt defends himself and points out Romney’s record, Romney would never “whine,” would he?? Riiiiiiiiight….

jfs756 on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Newt should get lost. He is another in the long line of big government Republicans. He was speaking to a group on Sunday. When asked a question he answered that he would set up a committee to study the issue if he were elected President. Just what we need – another committee or study. Todd Palin campaigning with Newt should push him over the top.

kozmo on January 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Don’t worry she’ll quit that position soon enough.

Your Mamma loves me on January 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Will she? I’m not so sure. As someone else pointed out, this is her own version of Operation Chaos. I can see her continuing to make semi-endorsements as long as he’s in the race.

Palin doesn’t really care as much about defeating Obama as she does “sticking it” to “the Establishment”. Whomever they’re supposed to be.

Vyce on January 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Totally OT: I’m having a phone conversation today that could possibly cause some doors to open for me.
I will not elaborate-but if you could pray or cross your whatevers that it goes well…I’d be most appreciative.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I was for Newt, but the things he’s said and done lately make it impossible for me to vote for him and still consider myself a conservative. I cannot vote for Romney either, so I guess it’s third party for me.

daddysgirl on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Eric Erickson at Red State Morning Briefing has been writing that Rick Santorum should quit the race so that the conservative vote is no longer divided. All that Rick Santorum can accomplish now is to help the liberal Romney get the nomination, and that is not what either Newt or Rick Santorum wishes to see happen. So Newt saying what he did is really wise advice.

Phil Byler on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Okay, I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again.

Polling data suggests that at this point, if either Gingrich or Santorum dropped out, it’d likely put Romney up over the 50% mark. Romney is listed as the second choice for a large portion of both the candidates in the latest polls. In fact, Santorum voters dislike Romney so much, that if he dropped the distance between Romney and Gingrich would grow, not shrink.

Of course, Florida isn’t the rest of the country. We don’t know what Minnesota, or Colorado’s, or Main’s numbers look like right now.

However, if Romney wins both Florida and Nevada, its likely that many more states will start looking like Florida vote wise.

This still doesn’t necessarily mean that one of these candidates dropping out wouldn’t help the remaining candidate, somewhere down the line. However, if Gingrich alienates Santorum supporters too much more, he may end up guaranteeing that his withdrawal helps Romney regardless of location.

WolvenOne on January 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Best of British, twerp.

OldEnglish on January 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Santorum is out of a flawed field the least flawed candidate. Its just too bad that our “conservative” and “tea party” betters didn’t have the courage of their convictions back in January to back him. Now we’re stuck with Willard and his Wimps, who have openly declared they won’t repeal Obamneycare.

Iblis on January 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM

You got it.

katy the mean old lady on January 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Phil Byler on January 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Exactly! You’re spot-on with your post!

jfs756 on January 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I don’t care who wins anymore, as long as Newt loses.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM

To daddysgirl: A third party is a dead end. Keep in mind that it was Romney who started all the negative campaigning in Iowa and has spent tens of millions of dollars in negative ads aimed at Newt. Newt is trying to counter-act the onslaught. Not backing Newt is tantamount to aiding Romney, who is a liberal. Romney as Governor raised taxes, was adamantly pro-abortion rights, championed RomneyCare (the precursor to ObamaCare) and appointed pro-abortion rights Democrats to the state judiciary. While Newt was one of the captains in the Reagan Revolution, Romney voted for Jimmy Carter adn Walter Mondale, Reagan’s Democrat opponents. So I am suggesting giving some slack to Newt.

Phil Byler on January 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Newt is an arrogant S O B. And while he is at it, he’d like to take my voting rights away. Is this an example of winning at all costs ?

democratsarefools on January 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM

The only good thing I can say about Romney is that his campaign is not overloaded with religious drivel as are those of his conservative rivals (probably because he realizes what he would have to deal with). As to Gingrich-Santorum it should be clear to all that they divide the conservative vote and if they both stay in until March Romney will be the big winner. Social issues will not decide this election and Santorum is all in on exactly those issues which may turn off independants. I think Santorum should get out now for there to be some chance at stopping Willard.

Annar on January 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Here’s an open call for anyone who is sick of Newt’s whining to donate to the Santorum campaign. Let’s put Newt out of his misery. It’s the least we can do.

Philly on January 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Done. Thank you.

daddysgirl on January 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Newt’s losing it. His delusions of grandeur are getting the better of him.

rockmom on January 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Alinsky tactics??

evergreenland on January 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

To E L Frederick (Sniper One): While you deserve four more years of Obama, the rest of us don’t.

Phil Byler on January 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

According to PPP, in MO and OH, it is a 3 way tie between Romney, Gingrich and Santorum, so where exactly is the proof that Gingrich is the better anti Romney??

As a matter of fact Santorum is a principled man unlike those other 2, And he is not a disgusting guy like Newt,

So yes it makes perfect sense for conservatives to line up behind Santorum

OrthodoxJew on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM

These trolls backing Freddy Moon Daddy Gingrich want Santorum to get out because he’s not polling high enough, yet they keep telling us polls mean jack when Obama consistently beats Newt with double digits.

In reality Gingrich should GTFO. He’s already got 100% name recognition and everybody but the small percentage already supporting him (in the name of true conservatism, lol) thinks he’s a giant douche. At least Santorum still has a chance to make a first impression with some people.

Swerve22 on January 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I’m tired of instead of Newt consistently crowing about conservative themes and those getting headlines, his nitpicky bullshit and whining are what gets headlines.

Jesus… enough already. I liked Newt, but boy is he wearing thin. Either cowboy up and ride the hard ride and sell conservatism to the electorate, or be a pansy. But choose.

beatcanvas on January 31, 2012 at 11:13 AM

jfs756 on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Deflection. When presented with Newt’s whining, you dismiss it and then go, “well, Mitt’s whining too!”

Newt is whining. He staked a huge part of his pitch to be the nominee on his vaunted debating / oratory skills, and then he gets bested in a debate by Romney. Fine, whatever, it’s not the end of the world, right? I mean, ultimately it’s probably going to cost him Florida, but it’s not potentially the end of his candidacy. But then he had to start making excuses – oh, Romney stacked the room with his people, etc.

He’s whining. I’m sorry, but he is.

Vyce on January 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Hey, I’ve got a question for all the fans of Mittens, and it’s a serious one.

Has he realized just one conservative achievement of any signficance throughout his entire career? I mean…just ONE?

Reggie1971 on January 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM

jfs756 on January 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM

He’s whining. I’m sorry, but he is.

Vyce on January 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Sooooooo typical of the Romney-heads. They can dish it out, but they can’t take it. Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

jfs756 on January 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Romney is contaminating the whole process by his nasty nature he did the same in 2008 but on a smaller scale.
And the headline of this post is so dishonest as if to anger the posters here so they get at each other.

evergreenland on January 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Sorry, just trying to get a laugh out of this travesty.

Reggie1971 on January 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

+100

jules on January 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

+100

IndeCon on January 31, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Phil Byler on January 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Newt is the same as Obama… just with a R behind his name. He’s just as uncooperative, just as bombastic, just as horrible for the country. The only difference is that he is supposedly on “our” side. To which I call B.S.

Newt is only conservative as it fits his own model of what’s best for Newt. Newt never gets on the conservative reservation so much as Newt’s reservation and the Conservative Reservation happen to occupy some of the same space. He doesn’t give a crap about your problems, he doesn’t care about the country. All he cares about is Newt.

If I wanted Obama, I’d vote for Obama… the goal is not to replace Obama with someone who is just as bad, but with an R.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM

He’s whining. I’m sorry, but he is.

Vyce on January 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM

And as much as Newt is whining, Mitt pretends to be a conservative. The man doesn’t believe in individual liberty at all.

Neither is good for us.

beatcanvas on January 31, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Voted for Santorum today…..Want him to stick around

jaywalker72 on January 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Santorum is like a 3rd party in the general election. He only helps Mit by taking votes away from Newt. If Ron Paul runs 3rd party I wonder how many of you will cry foul, but with Santorum you don’t?

Shain1611 on January 31, 2012 at 11:32 AM

jfs756 on January 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I’ve conveniently noticed that you’ve failed to offer any sort of defense to the assertion that Newt is, in fact, whining. Other than more deflection about how Romney supporters “can’t take it.”

It seems to be quite the other way around. Gingrich appears poised to lose Florida today, and he’s having a series of mini meltdowns over it, and the Newt supporters do not appear to be handling it well.

Vyce on January 31, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Say Rick pulled out of the race and Newt still does poorly… is he going to ask Ron or perhaps even Mitt to pull out to ensure his victory? Come on Newt, at the very least you must know that this behavior more than anything else is costing you votes. If you can’t distinguish yourself as a candidate from your three opponents, how do expect you to distinguish yourself against one opponent?

Amazing how we’re getting two ‘perfect storms’ in two back to back presidential elections. Obama could not have won at any other time than 2008 and now Romney could not get the nomination except in 2012 with such a self-destructive and weak line-up of Republican opponents.

Ukiah on January 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Voted for Santorum today…..Want him to stick around
jaywalker72 on January 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Shain1611 on January 31, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hear that, jaywalker?

You only THINK you voted for Rick Santorum.

listens2glenn on January 31, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Philly on January 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Done. Thank you.

daddysgirl on January 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM

You are a merciful person. May it help spare us the agony’s of Newt’s incessant whining.

Philly on January 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Meanwhile we have George Soros is saying no difference between Obama and Romney. Maybe Creepy Dude is stirring up trouble, but there are serious doubts about this with the conservative base. All the more reason for this process to continue to the convention. Santorum needs to stay in. The only way to have this open is for Gingrich, Santorum and Paul to take enough delegates so it has to go to the convention. Claiming Romney won now and not letting this process vet out would be a big mistake by the GOP establishment.

Mr. Joe on January 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM

+20 for Romney after Santorum drops out.

Be careful what you wish for Newt.

haner on January 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM

But if Rick leaves, then the “anti-Romney” is still split 2 ways….

You know what, Rick, leave and then we can have a PPV watching Newt and Paul trying to reason the other one into quitting, and if (when) neither can, it is settled in a steel cage.

The Battle for the Not-Romney vote. The winner can get all the money from the PPV and use it in their campaign. I’d buy in on this.

Of course, if the votes split then doesn’t put someone over the top, then there is the Romney vs Not-Romney grudge match, same rules.

It’d be quicker and couldn’t be more dirty a way of settling things than this nominating season has become, and then we would know for sure who really is a “fighter.”

Betenoire on January 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM

To everyone defending Newt on this, what other candidate has publicly asked their competition to quit? And why is this proof that he is a good or better candidate? Just curious…

Deanna on January 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM

You have one alternative … Newt. Stop kidding yourselves.

MarkCasper on January 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

If you’re for Neutron Newt, you’re for Obama.

csdeven on January 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Wow, that’s about the most ill-informed thing I’ve ever seen posted to Hot Air.

Reggie1971 on January 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I am telling you…those of us that remember the ’80′s and ’90′s with Gingrich recall this attitude of his. As a Romney supporter, I give Newt credit for rallying the troops for the takeover of the House in ’94, however, the Contract With America was actually a staff aide’s idea from another House member and Gingrich assumed control of it and ran with it…to his credit BUT today claims he was the architect which he was not. Additionally, the welfare reform was a HOST of House members including Gingrich and Clinton coming to a compromise on their THIRD try if I remember right. However, because of Newt’s unpredictability, as he is showing in his CURRENT campaign, and loss of seats in TWO straight elections, the House had had enough of Newt’s guidance and showed him the door.

There is NO ONE else for Newt to blame than Newt. He is his own worst enemy because he has such a HIGH OPINION of himself and he ends up turning people off. It is better we learn (remember) this now in the Primaries or else it would come out over the Summer/Fall season handing Obama another four years.

g2825m on January 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

BradTank on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM

You should stick to what you actually know. I followed Gingrich’s health initiatives at American Solutions, among his other policy suggestions, from 2007 through 2010, and never saw anything remotely resembling ObamaCare among his suggestions. To say “he supports mandates” is to take his hypothetical opinion regarding 1 point in a thousand-point proposal and stretching it to make it seem like he supports all 1,000 points. It’s just dishonest. Knock it off.

BradTank on January 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Again, you should stick to what you know. Pennsylvania is a middle-of-the-road state with a large Catholic population. Santorum won his Senate seat because his pro-life views were popular there. When he lost the seat, he was running against a pro-life, fellow Catholic with a stellar reputation in the state, which took away his strongest selling point. Meanwhile, he had been damaged by the Terry Schaivo situation, which made his moderate opponent seem more acceptable.

He’s as electable as anyone else.

Gingrich, also, is electable because the contrast between his practical, fact-based approach to policy and Obama’s ill-informed, partisan advocacy will be obvious to the casual observer.

It’s Romney who is not electable, because voters will not be able to tell the difference between the candidates, and will vote for the more attractive. Obama will run to the RIGHT of Romney, who will be powerless to stop him. Meanwhile, Obama will succeed at painting Romney as the archetype 1-percenter, out of touch with the middle class, and a religious fanatic from a scary cult that was racist right up ’till the 1980s.

philwynk on January 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Voted for Santorum today…..Want him to stick around
jaywalker72 on January 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Shain1611 on January 31, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hear that, jaywalker?

You only THINK you voted for Rick Santorum.

listens2glenn on January 31, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Yes — It sure seemed like I did. Of course, I supported Pete DuPont too so I am accustomed to such things.

If Mitt wins, or Newt, or whoever from the GOP, I’ll support them as I did Dole, McCain, et al in the general election, but until that time I’ll vote my own choice.

jaywalker72 on January 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Newt is starting to unwind at the seams. He was flailing yesterday in Florida like a wounded animal. All the polling I have seen shows that Gingrich would have lost a two man race to Romney had Santorum dropped out. Even though I support Romney because I believe he is the only candidate with a chance to beat Obama, Santorum is a guy of principle and reflects well upon the party. If he is our nominee, he would never embarrass the party and would run a no nonsense tough but effective campaign. Gingrich is like a grenade, ready to go off at any minute and his complaining and crying in Florida show him to be very weak. Either Romney or Santorum would take the fight to Obama. I wouldn’t want Gingrich for my next door neighbor let alone President.

jake22 on January 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM

It’s just … do we have any data on this? Maybe the Green Room can compile something?

I keep hearing that Santorum supporters will become Gingrinauts when Santorum goes home. But I like Santorum, and after that will step into tent Romney. I don’t know of any reason to believe any particular percentage of Santorum supporters will move to any particular alternative?

Axe on January 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The last evidence I saw was a poll that showed Romney as the second choice for most of the other candidates. That was a while ago though. I heard an analyst explain that the shift in vote would have to do with the current dynamics when Santorum got out. In certain instances his votes would go to Romney, in others they would go to Gingrich. I think that is a sound opinion.

csdeven on January 31, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Voted for Santorum today…..Want him to stick around

jaywalker72 on January 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM

well i’m glad you did that! =)

Deanna on January 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM

this!! if newt is such a great candidate, then why is santorum such a big obstacle to him that he needs him to drop out in order for him to win? maybe newt isn’t that great of a candidate and he’s trying to blame it on santorum.

Sachiko on January 31, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Shain1611 on January 31, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Prove it.

csdeven on January 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM

It’s time for Newt to go. He may have had a chance to win Florida, but that chance is gone. He crashed and burned during the last debate, with his whacky ideas and lame responses and there’s no coming back, IMO. His answer to the FLOTUS question at the debate just creeped me out. What the heck was that? I’m beginning to wonder if the man’s stable.

Hit the road “Chucky”

Norky on January 31, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Hmmm…is Newt having internal campaign issues with his staff again? His behavior makes one wonder. This is pretty desperate.

Philly on January 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

today claims he was the architect [of the Contract With America] which he was not.

He WAS the architect of the House takeover in 1994. The rest is a quibble over nomenclature, and none of our concern.

His unpopularity can in part be attributed to the meat grinder of the Democratic party slime machine. They also managed to make Ken Starr and Henry Hyde seem like puritanical SS Generals; don’t discount how powerful that machine can be.

He was removed from the Speaker’s role because of a disagreement over tactics; apparently he wanted to roll back some of the Contract specifics in an attempt to increase popularity. I’m glad he did not succeed. On the other hand, the Congressmen by which he was replaced were horribly inept without Newt’s leadership, and the conservative agenda never made nearly as much progress without Gingrich as with him.

There is NO ONE else for Newt to blame than Newt.

This, sadly, is pretty accurate.

philwynk on January 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I never thought I’d miss having Perry in the race. I don’t want to miss Santorum like I’m missing Perry. At this point, it would feel pretty dismal with Rick gone.

Norky on January 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Deanna on January 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM

He is just saying the obvious that Santorum and Newt are the only 2 consrv. in this race and the vote is being split, any one can notice that, I am sure Santorum is closer to Newt than to Mitt.

evergreenland on January 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Sachiko on January 31, 2012 at 11:53 AM

You have to wonder if Newt is really as shrewd/smart as he claims or his supporters claim. How could he and his staff not know this would sound pathetic or arrogant or whiney? There is nothing about this request to a competitor that sounds like a winner…just stupid.

Deanna on January 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I support Santorum now. I switched from Newt 2 Hrs ago. I was for T-Paw but went Cain then Mitt then back to T-Paw then Perry then Newt.

///

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Ok I’m back on the Newt train now. Didn’t like Santorum’s facial expression and got tired of supporting him. So its Newt for the rest of the day. I’ll keep you guys posted.

SparkPlug on January 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I so sick of Newton’s “Solutions” I could scream! All it reminds me of is “The Final SOLUTION”.

Tater Salad on January 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

A vote for Rick is a vote for Mitt.

newtopia on January 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Newt will scorch the earth and damage everyone, says Gibby. Sounds accurate. That’s our Newtie.

Philly on January 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

evergreenland on January 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Nice try but it doesn’t answer my question. Why does this make him a better candidate? Why doesn’t he just let the voters decide? Sorry but this just sounds, as I said earlier, pathetic, arrogant, or whiney and not like a candidate whose confident of his ability to win.

Deanna on January 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I was for Santorum, before I was for Gingrich.

Norky on January 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Probably true. But you can’t blame Newt for being frustrated. After all, why is Rick still in this race? He’s not going to place better than 3rd in any of the remaining states. Is he angling for Mitt’s VP slot? There really isn’t any reason for him to go any further than tonight, and if he does soldier on than you have to assume he’s just trying to split the conservative vote for Romney in order to get some kind of kickback down the road.

newtopia on January 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM

The Rick is taking from Newt meme is completely over done, there is a poll out there to support such a claim, in fact it is just the opposite.

PS. Despite what some have claimed here, EE over at RS is saying the same thing, Rick getting out may help Mitt.

Tater Salad on January 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM

g2825m on January 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

The question remains.

The question remains UNANSWERED.

What major conservative achievements does Romney have to his name?

His wife and kids DO NOT COUNT!

Reggie1971 on January 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM

The real question may be, why is Newt still in at this point?

Tater Salad on January 31, 2012 at 12:19 PM