Chris Matthews: I never said Tea Partiers were violent, but I meant it at the time

posted at 1:20 pm on January 31, 2012 by Tina Korbe

The DC Trawler’s Jim Treacher brings us classic audio from Hardball host Chris Matthews, who, this morning, in an interview with Mary Katharine Ham on WMAL in D.C., tried to say he never fretted in 2009 that Tea Partiers might become violent. When MKH calls him out for a specific quote, he admits lamely, “Well, obviously, I meant it at the time.”

The entire clip covers quite a bit of ground — Matthews shills for his new book “Jack Kennedy: Elusive Hero” and talks Florida, too — but the juicy bit comes at about 6:09, when MKH begins to grill him about his Tea Party/Occupy double standard.

Eh, well. At least Chris Matthews and Debbie Wasserman Schultz and countless other hypocritical liberals are consistently inconsistent. They never flinch when somebody calls them out for their double standard. It’s almost as though it’s a point of pride with them to continue in it while feigning objectivity and/or calling out their rhetorical opponents for nonexistent contradictions. Their gig has been up for ages, but they just keep playing anyway.

In the same interview this morning, for example, Matthews actually tried to make the case that he attempts to examine American politics objectively. NewsBusters’ Ken Shepherd provides a short list of Matthews’ more biased moments:

Ah yes, the ever-objective Chris Matthews, who has, on national TV:

It never gets old — amassing the evidence of an utter lack of self-awareness.

Comments

Chris Matthews: Bed-wetter

BobMbx on January 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

He. Is. an. Idiot.

chai on January 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Liar.

Tennman on January 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Tird. Loser. Terd.

Akzed on January 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM

The page one photo looks more like it should be Chris Matthews brother.

listens2glenn on January 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Chris Matthews: Elusive Logician

ted c on January 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I’ll take your word for it Tina. I haven’t eaten my lunch yet, so listening to Spittles Matthews would result in some killer dry heaves.

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Oh, and I suppose now I can’t say anything violent like I hope someone would pop his little pimple head, because that would just vindicate his point of view.

Tennman on January 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

“I never said that I have the hots for Obama, but I do” — Matthews

Schadenfreude on January 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Kennedy wasn’t very elusive.

Flange on January 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Photo Caption:

Hey Chris, who humps Obamas leg more vigorously, you or Bo? Oh, I see, 50/50 huh?

Oops, sorry, I thought this was the Bo the Dog thread.

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Matthews is just pathetic. I almost feel sorry for him.

And this doesn’t even touch on his most cringe-worthy attribute – the racial hang-ups. I seriously think the guy needs some kind of counseling.

forest on January 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Wonder if he got a thrill up his leg? FIRED!

landowner on January 31, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Mary, you let sissy Chrissy get away with murder. Where was the follow-up? Where was the, “Why weren’t you afraid OWS would get violent? Where was your outrage when it DID get violent?”

You even let him finish with, “You guys have a point of view; I’m trying to look at this objectively.”

For shame.

The Rogue Tomato on January 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

That spittle in the corner of Chrissy’s mouth…

… is Obowma’s man goo.

Strange how it never goes away…

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Chris should be careful because soemday we might live up to his expectations.

jukin3 on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

They had Dylan Ratigan on this morning too. Quite a day on WMAL.

forest on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Matthews sounds like John McCain, Mitt Romney, Lindsay Gramnesty and all the establishment RINO anti-conservatives. How is this any different than the establishment Pubs:

they lie on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Kennedy wasn’t very elusive.

Flange on January 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Since you brought him up, did you see this?

Newly discovered JFK assassination tapes made public

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Wonder if Chrissy still has that tingle in his leg.

GarandFan on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

It’s amazing how it never gets above high school level with libtards.

NapaConservative on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

He and Bill Maher are on my short list of people I fantasize about punching in the upper gut and watching them fall to the floor gasping for air. Sorry.

yubley on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

He missed that hatred in 1972 … at both conventions.

J_Crater on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

They never flinch when somebody calls them out for their double standard.

The left has no standards.

faraway on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Chris should be careful because soemday we might live up to his expectations.

jukin3 on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Agent provocatuer alert.

Kataklysmic on January 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Most liberal men are beta males. Thousands of years ago, these types wouldn’t have survived to puberty. Ah, the good old days.

Bevan on January 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

yubley on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I used to feel that way about Anthony Weiner, but it wasn’t his gut I wanted to cause injury to. I so hope Mrs. Weiner has taken care of that for me.

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Tingles has a point about the closet case Christian taliban candidate Santorum, that frothy mixture would love to impose his insane religious stupidity on America if he could. Like we need in more that insanity inflicted on America its done more then enough damage already.

It would be more accurate to say Frothy Mixture already hates the Constitution since he’s a big government loving conservative.

Your Mamma loves me on January 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

When you look up the word ‘a$$’ in the dictionary…instead of verbage…that picture leading to the thread…is there!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Hot Air has gone into bunker mode in the last day or two. As it becomes clearer and clearer that the GOP is stuck with a center-right nominee for president and an unpopular Congressional leadership, the only safe thing to do is throw darts at giant dubious lefties in the media. Can an Ed Schultz story be far off?

bifidis on January 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM

The guy is a jackass. Why would anyone with a modicum of intelligence listen to a single word he says?

CantCureStupid on January 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Good thing OWS has never burnt US flags, pooped on police cars, tolerated and covered up multiple rapes, abandoned children, trashed businesses, blamed the Jooooooooooossss for all the world’s problems, overdosed on drugs, allowed thier encampments to get infested by rats and scabies, and called for violent class-based revolution like those eeeeeeevil Tea Partiers.

MidniteRambler on January 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Matthews is full of crap. Not only did he and his entire network conflate those town hall meetings into Klan/Militia meetings they made DOCUMENTARIES about it.

Not only haven’t they condemned the violence associated with OWS, they’ve promoted the movement without any balance.

AYNBLAND on January 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Since you brought him up, did you see this?

Newly discovered JFK assassination tapes made public

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

A friend sent me that link, but I’ve never liked Kennedy and I’ve never really got into the whole conspiracy of his death. I just can’t stand the hero worshipping of a guy who was at best a medicore President. Of course his death shows how bad assassinations are, we got a much worse President out of it and JFK is now idolized. But thanks for the link.

Flange on January 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Oh, she learned from the best. If she’s anything like her boss, Mr. Weiner’s pitch is at least two octaves higher now.

Archivarix on January 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Hold on………..actually it was MATTHEWS that made the Tea Party Violence documentary himself…. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036750/ns/msnbc_tv-documentaries/#37598052

What a liar.

AYNBLAND on January 31, 2012 at 1:51 PM

As far as I am concerned, when it comes to MSNBC being an insane asylum, Matthews in the head lunatic running the place with the rest of the inmates!

pilamaye on January 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Someone may want to remind him that is was an occupy crowd that threw a smoke bomb on the whitehouse lawn.

mbquinn on January 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM

He never saw the hitler mustaches on any pics of GWB????? WHAT??? OMG! His head is lodged so far up his you-know-what he’d probably have trouble ID’ing a picture of the flag of the USA!! He’s a total fool.

Tom66 on January 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM

It never gets old — amassing the evidence of an utter lack of self-awareness.

sorry, this is wrong…he is just lying…best to use the simple explanation

r keller on January 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM

So this is angryed’s day job.

antisense on January 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I particularly liked the part where he said he never heard the attacks in which Bush was called a fascist and murderer.

Which means he didn’t watch the guy who followed him on MSNBC at night.

That would be Olberman in case you don’t remember the guy.

SteveMG on January 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

whoa! yo Ed! clean-up needed on aisle 3!

DanMan on January 31, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I’ll say it again, who gives a damn what this idiot or Bill Mahar or Keith Olbermann or Rachel Maddow or any celebrity, have to say?

50% of the publicity they get is from so-called “conservative” sites.

People used to understand that if you want to end tantrums by children, you ignore them.

Now there’s a camera there 24/7.

NoDonkey on January 31, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Before I read who wrote this I read, “Eh, well. At least Chris Matthews and Debbie Wasserman Schultz and countless other hypocritical liberals are consistently inconsistent.” and instantly thought Tina must have written this. Yep. I was right. Radical conservative. The other writers don’t seem to use these types of “inflammatory statements”. Love it. Keep it up! :)

yhxqqsn on January 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I believe you when you say you disagree with what I said. What you fail to realize is what I said I never actually meant.

hawkdriver on January 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Isn’t he the dbag who called West Point the “enemy camp”?

50sGuy on January 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM

speaking of msmbc, it is really shocking how a network affiliated with NBC is essentially Air America. Really, Air America went out of business because no one listened. So NBC took up the cause, not for profit, but ideology. The propagandists for the hard left needed a venue

the smiley faces of Todd, Mitchell et al. know who they are…the face of the Left

r keller on January 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Mathews sums up the condescension and arrogance of liberal elites at the end:

“You guys have a point of view, but I try to look at things objectively.”

Down twinkles.

SlaveDog on January 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I just hope MSLSD is able to go broke getting Olby back on before the election. Mathews, Olby, Schultz and Maddow, that gang of white guys on that network are pure comedy gold no matter which why the wind is blowing.

DanMan on January 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM

My favorite is the whole concept that black Congressmen were spit upon as they were headed to the vote on Obamacare. IT NEVER HAPPENED. Yet Matthews, the blowhard, repeatedly trots it out as if it were fact. A close second is that Arizona Congressman who, before the blood was even dry, denounced the Tea Party for the Giffords shooting.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Tom66 on January 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Yup. Never happened. Don’t know what you are talking about.

Ferris on January 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I watch MSNBC occasionally and enjoy Chris. Without wanting to disparage people who drink too much, he always seems to be a few sheets to the wind. He’s a leftist but he’s a little bit tipsy at all times so he blurts out fun stuff like getting a tingle up his leg, or admiring The Won’s pants crease.

Larry O’Donnell comes across as sinister, and Rachel Maddow just offers low-brow snark.

Wait for his Glenn moment when he bursts out into tears and says Romney wants to eat your children. For verily, that day will come.

CorporatePiggy on January 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I notice that he defends himself by saying he didn’t PROMOTE Occupy, as if somehow there’s an equivalence between not-promoting, and manufacturing fear of violence from the Tea Partiers who have never assaulted a single person in all of their events.

The Schaef on January 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I forgot that incident on my list of things OWS totally never did.

Kind of like how Tingles forgot the 2006 movie that fantasized about the assassination of President Bush: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853096/

MidniteRambler on January 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The good news is only a few hundred people watch the bedwetting tool on PMSNBC.

David in ATL on January 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Mathews, is another fine example of PRESSSSidential Political Bigotry against conservatives.

Sssshhh…. Don’t tell anyone, but the left wing liberal establishment has repackaged it’s past strains of Racial Bigotry against blacks into political bigotry against conservatives. BTW, the RINO LOSERship is fine with this — conservatives are a threat to their power structure as much as conservatives are a threat to liberals. Expect nary a word about the spread of political bigotry from either establishment — it’s all fine with them…

Conservatives are sheeple who can’t take care of themselves, slow witted, dangerous, mean, self-centered, uncaring and much more. Basically, any negative attribute that might have been vaguely attributed by racial bigotry of the past against blacks is now fair game to attach to conservatives.

Political Bigotry sits just fine with liberal black leadership as a means to get back at whitey, only it’s just the conservative whiteys that are targeted. How convenient…

One might ponder the reaction amongst the ‘silent majority’ if just one conservative leader stood up to properly label political bigotry against conservatives for what it is — political bigotry should be no more acceptable form of behavior than racial bigotry. My guess is the overwhelming response from the silent majority would be “ABOUT TIME!”

You’d think with all these so-called presidential debates that someone would have stepped up to the plate and hit political bigotry spewing from the left leaning moderators out of the park… I guess this means we can expect at least four more years of the same old same old at least as far as political bigotry against conservatives goes.

drfredc on January 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM

The good news is only a few hundred people watch the bedwetting tool on PMSNBC.

David in ATL on January 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM

He gets all of his pub from Fox News and sites like this then.

Otherwise, who would hear what he says?

Made my case for me. Stop covering what this clown says and he’ll go away.

NoDonkey on January 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Mathews sums up the condescension and arrogance of liberal elites at the end:

“You guys have a point of view, but I try to look at things objectively.”

Down twinkles.

SlaveDog on January 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Oh, yeah. That was unbelievable for him to say. Of course he says it right before they break so no rebuttal. What a friggin tool. I’ll give him a twinkle right here. Takes one finger pointing up.

Renwaa on January 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM

r keller on January 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Not really, when you consider NBC used to be owned by GE and we all know who used to be the CEO of GE.

Flora Duh on January 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Moral Relativism
Moral relativism is the view that ethical standards, morality, and positions of right or wrong are culturally based and therefore subject to a person’s individual choice. We can all decide what is right for ourselves. You decide what’s right for you, and I’ll decide what’s right for me. Moral relativism says, “It’s true for me, if I believe it.”

Dr Evil on January 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Good rule: If the media is FOR something that is your cue to be against it

apocalypse on January 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM

They never flinch when somebody calls them out for their double standard.

The left has no standards.

faraway on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

♫ ♫ If it weren’t for double standards ♫ ♫
♫ ♫ They’d have no standards at all! ♫ ♫

tom on January 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

He’s like the Ernesto of national media.

Scrappy on January 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I hard interview live this morning. Mary Katherine attempted a toe-to-toe, but Tingles was all smug. He is quite intolerable. My blood pressure went up too.

lucyvanpelt on January 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Poop.

Axe on January 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Wow. Poor editing skills…

I heard this interview live this morning.

lucyvanpelt on January 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Well Chrisy, why don’t you trot on down to San Francisco and join your dirtbag buddies in the “occupy” mob.

rplat on January 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM

“The mainstream media spent Obama’s entire first term falsely condemning the Tea Party as a potentially violent hate-filled mob. Then, a violent hate-filled mob actually showed up and the MSM embraced it.” – John Hawkins

Go tinkle up your leg, Matthews.

locomotivebreath1901 on January 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Don’t forget his desire to get “orders” from the Obama White House:

HakerA on January 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

To be a Democrat is to be a hypocrite.

burserker on January 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Jack kennnedy “elusive’? We should have been so lucky. He was lionized on every media outlet available back then 24/7! Where does Chris think the catch-phrase “Camelot” came from if not that generation’s version of the lapdog media of today?

The only thing “elusive” about JFK was any coverage by the sycophantic media of his immoral behavior and his inept and reckless conduct as President, a recklessness probably in large part fueled by the delusion that he was as gifted and adept at all things as the media said he was (sound familiar?).

Do us all a big favor and try becoming more elusive yourself, Chris.

drunyan8315 on January 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

They had Dylan Ratigan on this morning too. Quite a day on WMAL.

forest on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Dylan sounded too smart by half but he had some good points – and I enjoyed the interview.
Matthews OTO nearly caused me to ram the Obama sticker driving in front of me.
The way Matthews slipped in the spitting (non) incident was infuriating.
Ah well, par for the course.

bettycooper on January 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Chris Matthews: “Well, Mary Katharine, obviously I was drunk at the time, so…you know, there’s that. I’ve lost that tingling feeling and I’m just very sad these days.”

cicerone on January 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Which he repeated here. Why did MKH let him get away with it??

Eren on January 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

They had Dylan Ratigan on this morning too. Quite a day on WMAL.

forest on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

He came across as a windbag to me. The hosts hardly got any questions in.

lucyvanpelt on January 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Wow – this guy must have a unicorn brain. First he denies ever saying the Tea Party would lead to violence and then when MCH calls him on it, he says ‘well the threat was real.’ The hosts let him get away with the false ‘they spit on congressman’ claim. And he falls back on the intellectually bankrupt line when caught in a lie of ‘hey, I just call them like a see them’ which really interpreted means ‘what are going to believe, me or your lying eyes.’

What Chris, and most of the media, really believes is ‘hey, my opinions are the facts, and the facts are your opinion.’ What a useless tool – perfect for MesSNBC.

NeoDawg on January 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM

My blood pressure is already pegged from dealing with a local government office.

Chris Matthews is such a lying low rent scumbag, self awareness is the least of his issues.. He never saw the level of hatred aimed at Bush and the GOP, because he was wholely engaged in it himself. He was right up there with the Bush is Hitler smears himself, the illegal war theme,he was there shoveling sh*t with the rest of the idiot left.

If anyone really loves Matthews I’d like to meet them,… I’ve never met a brain dead zombie before,….

mark81150 on January 31, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Someone should take this moron out to DHChron ‘s property in Texas.
The old disappearing idiot trick!/sarc

angrymike on January 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Midnight rambler
Could you image the outrage if someone did something like that about Zero?
That is idiot tingles would be ready to hang someone!

angrymike on January 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Just sayin’
MKH sends a tingle down my leg.
-but-
Obamalamadingdong sends a tingle down Chris Matthews’.
And yet I’m supposed to care what his opinion is when I know he’s an absolute fraud and complete tool?

Just sayin’

smfic on January 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Please, the only people who give a crap about this useful idiot’s schtick are the three people who watch his show.

chickasaw42 on January 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM

The liberals are gathering their forces and trying to put on a brave face for the sake of thier party, but they just can’t muster up the enthusiasm to go all moonbatty over Obama this year.

The guys a schmuck and there is no way to pretty up that pig, lipstick or no lipstick.

DrW on January 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM

2 words “wet brain”

DSchoen on January 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

WHY do conservative media (even mildly conservative media) give this ass-wipe any exposure at all? Left on his own, he’d have a miniscule audience, which is what he deserves.

Providing exposure for this guy is as wrong-headed as feeding trolls.

bofh on January 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Air America went out of business because no one listened. So NBC took up the cause, not for profit, but ideologiocy.

r keller on January 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

cableguy615 on January 31, 2012 at 7:36 PM

fify ^^

cableguy615 on January 31, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Their gig has been up for ages, but they just keep playing anyway.

“jig”

Tim_CA on January 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Remember when Scott Brown was running for US Senate? He made a big deal of driving a pickup truck between campaign events. Chris Matthews and Howard Fineman agreed that…owning a pickup truck was racist (really).

waelse1 on January 31, 2012 at 7:47 PM

yubley on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

One good shot ought to do it.

At least you didn’t say punch them in the lower gut and watch them die of internal bleeding, or punch them in the neck ’til their heads flop like a mop or… well, that would have been too much.

Unless, of course, you work at MSDNC ./

S. D. on January 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I wonder why he did not just come right out and lie about violence. He has never let facts inhibit him before.

dunce on February 1, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Dementia setting in. Check the front of his shirt for bits of food.

Finbar on February 1, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Well, really? Who takes Chris Matthews seriously? Just like we know that Fox has a conservative bent, we know that Chris Matthews has a leftist liberal bent so pronounced that it darned near comes back to hit him in the face. I think it is fair to say that everyone knows that Chris Matthews has wet dreams over his desire to be the articulate and well informed Rush Limbaugh of the left. Unlike Matthews, however, we also know that that would never happen. That whole ‘well informed’ concept is like a Panji Trap that always trips the left up.

PorchDawg on February 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

rplat on January 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM

The last thing we need here is to see his ugly mug. Why do you hate us rplat? LOL

NapaConservative on February 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM