Sitting in on Santorum’s MN pitch

posted at 8:40 am on January 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Last night, I had got a robocall invitation to take part in Rick Santorum’s Minnesota tele-townhall, which ran from roughly 8:30 to 9:30 local time.  Earlier, I had checked to see whether I could call in on the event myself, but was told that the calls would go out at random.  Rep. John Kline uses a similar system and we get frequent calls for his outreach events, so it didn’t surprise me to get the call, and my wife was happy to get a chance to take a more active part in the process.

Santorum has decided to contest in Minnesota, even though the upcoming caucuses are non-binding.  Caucuses are easier to win through ground game than primaries, which is the reason that Ron Paul has decided on the same strategy.  Paul is focusing on Maine, where his brand of libertarianism will get more traction than Minnesota, while Santorum hopes to win the blue-collar Midwestern Republicans that Tim Pawlenty rallied in two successful gubernatorial elections.  In order to do so, Santorum has to come across as serious on policy and low on intranecine drama, which doesn’t play well in this state.

In the tele-townhall, Santorum stuck to that tone.  Most of the calls dealt with policy, including a couple of questions about the Obama administration’s imposition of mandates on religious organizations to cover contraception through health plans, which clearly did not sit well with the people on the call. Another caller asked Santorum about Barack Obama’s czars, to which Santorum replied that Obama as an “imperial President” wanted to avoid Congressional oversight and run as much as possible through executive fiat.  “I won’t appoint a single czar,” Santorum pledged.  Santorum took opportunities to contrast himself with Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich in his answers, but both the questions and the answers tilted heavily toward policy, where Santorum displayed a remarkable depth of knowledge and grasp of the details.

Only toward the end did a process question get asked, when a caller politely challenged Santorum to explain how he’d win moderates.  Santorum replied that moderates don’t tend to be issues voters, but respond to enthusiasm and momentum, and that the important task was to rally the base as happened in the midterms.  Neither Romney or Gingrich are consistently conservative enough to do that, Santorum argued, while his record gave the GOP the best chance to stoke conservative enthusiasm.  He also said that he had a track record in Pennsylvania of winning Reagan Democrats, which he would do throughout the Rust Belt and Midwest.  “Will I lose California by a wider margin than Romney?” Santorum asked, and replied that he certainly would — but losing California and New York by a marginally smaller amount won’t do the GOP any good in November anyway.  Santorum insisted that he could do better in the center of the country than any other Republican, and that would make the difference in November.

Certainly, people have disagreements with Santorum, and quite a few don’t take his candidacy too seriously.  However, the randomly-dialed Minnesota voters seemed impressed with Santorum, and Santorum responded with a detailed discussion of policy that eschewed the attack politics taking place at the top tier of the primary race. Perhaps it’s too late for Santorum to make a major play for the nomination (although Santorum himself disagrees with that assessment, surely), but you’d be hard pressed to hear a better pitch for a serious bid to lead the Republican Party — and most definitely a better, more mature, and more statesmanlike pitch than what we’ve been hearing and seeing from the top tier of late.

Comments

I like him, just don’t see him beating 0bama…

OmahaConservative on January 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I’d love to see a post someday about organizations like, say, the USCCB, who cuddle up to scorpions and then scream with outrage when they get stung.

Eren on January 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Ed,

Did you let him know who you are?

ProudPalinFan on January 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Santorum is an impressive guy with an admirable conservative, moral world view. But his past and present solutions all seem to involve legislating from a big government platform.

horatio on January 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

What a weird year, I think Santorum would do the right things but I don’t think he will get the opportunity. I think Newt can be kept on the right track but the negatives seem insurmountable. I think Romney will stay the current D.C. course, no shake ups, everybody is wonderfully hardworking in Fantasyland. Sucks to be us.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Great post Ed. Santorum is staying in and I’m glad for it. He sees what we all are seeing–Romney and Gingrich stink to high heaven albeit on different issues. Santorum is serious, experienced and principled. I’d love to cast a vote for him and am still hoping that if Gingrich implodes he throws his support to Santorum.

The one thing Santorum does need is a coach to help him with his optics. He has the ability to debate second to none, but his demeanor is such that people feel he scowls and looks angry. If he could lighten things up, he’d do himself a world of good.

KickandSwimMom on January 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Sanatorium should keep going so he keeps Netw from getting the other extremists’ vote. Neither stand a chance against Obama.
Mitt will be the only niminee to beat the Won.

ObamatheMessiah on January 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

nominee

ObamatheMessiah on January 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Sucks to be us.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

We wanted a “reformer” :(

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Ed,

Did you let him know who you are?

ProudPalinFan on January 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM

No, neither my wife nor I asked a question. She’s a little too shy for that, and I didn’t want to skew a townhall with media questioning. I was more interested in what voters had to ask, and I was actually quite surprised that they weren’t interested in the process and infighting issues. I thought that would get more attention.

Ed Morrissey on January 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

horatio on January 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Compared to Newt or Mitt?

Fallon on January 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

If he’s continuing to look forward, I’m glad to hear that.

That he’s campaigning in another state besides Florida says that he most probably won’t bow out even if he doesn’t get ahead of Gingrich and Romney there.

I hope he can stick it out at least one more week so I can get a chance to vote for him.

Logus on January 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I love assertions without any real examples.

Big government solutions like? Cutting the top tax rates down to 10 and 28% and cleaning up the tax code. Or halving the corporate tax rate and eliminate corporate taxes for manufacturing?

And who is this “big government” charge compared to? Ron Paul? Or are we talking about the guy who backed a health care mandate until last year and cheered its inclusion in Obamacare?

adamsweb on January 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I know that I sure did/do.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Ed Morrissey on January 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Helpful information for your debate. Any news on that yet?

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

horatio on January 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Compared to Newt or Mitt?

Fallon on January 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

RedState made an argument. I don’t want to have to argue their argument, but “Santorum, Big Government Republican” is an argument that can be made pretty easily.

What A Big Government Conservative Looks Like

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Santorum’s big government solutions, Adam? How about the Defense of Marriage Act? Please tell me why anybody would want the feds involved in marriage.
If I’m reading this post properly, what Ed is saying is that in Minnesota, if you’re a “conservative” Republican who supports telling people what they should do with their body parts, what they should ingest, and who they should be “allowed” to marry, you can win that state’s caucus? What a freedom minded state!!!!!!

libertarianlunatic on January 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

@KickandSwimMom:What is there to not be angry about? It’s high time we started kicking and screaming. This sorry old nation is in trouble, and someone had better have some passion and drive to save this sinking ship. Can’t you just hear the captain of the the Titanic whispering, “I think we are going down, could someone please get me a whiskey?”

elm on January 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Ditto OC

cmsinaz on January 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM

really, really really bland.

stenwin77 on January 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I understand the argument but these work, too:

Romney, Big Government Republican” is an argument that can be made pretty easily.

Gingrich, Big Government Republican” is an argument that can be made pretty easily.

Just sayin’…

Fallon on January 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Mitt will be the only niminee to beat the Won.

ObamatheMessiah on January 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Because Obama is such a great president…. If republicans ran a dog against Obama I would vote for the dog.

Shain1611 on January 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

horatio on January 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Unless you are a Ron Paul supporter this type of argumentation has officially passed its expiration date. You can’t have big, interventionist/imperial foreign policy and not have “big government” at home. The two function under the same logic, that the American state can offer big solutions to global problems (and believe me, poverty in America has officially become a symptom of globalisation). You simply will never find a candidate who believes in small government who believes America should be a global military super power.

libfreeordie on January 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

libertarianlunatic on January 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I believe that issue is now firmly in the Judicial branch and doesn’t even register on my radar.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Santorum is correct that he’d fair more poorly in NY or CA than Romney, but he is exactly incorrect that it doesn’t matter. It matters a great deal to down-ballot candidates, including GOP members of Congress.

We need the maximum strength at the top of the ticket in ALL 50 states: that candidate is Mitt Romney.

First rule of thumb: do no harm.

matthew8787 on January 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM

My God.

Is the 2012 Republican primary still going on?

Hasn’t it been going on for, like, 37 years now?

Haven’t we already had, like, 972 debates already?

What is the point of having more? Other than to destroy the Republican brand even more than it already has been?

Please… someone… anyone… MAKE IT STOP!

Hayabusa on January 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Just sayin’…

Fallon on January 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

. . .

. . .

. . .

*double facepalm/weeping*

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Mitt will be the only niminee to beat the Won.

ObamatheMessiah on January 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I believe Mitt is the only one that can put Obama back in office. Not enough difference between the two and he takes ObamaCare off the table.

razorbackchick on January 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Just sayin’…
Fallon on January 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

*double facepalm/weeping*
Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I gotta side with Fallon on this, Axe.

I really believe Rick S. to be the “lesser evil”, right now.

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Please… someone… anyone… MAKE IT STOP!

Hayabusa on January 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Tell Mitt to drop out then.

tinkerthinker on January 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM

razorbackchick on January 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM

They have the info about the medicaid scandal to take that off the table too. So what will mitt have left to take obama on…abo?

tinkerthinker on January 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM

“Sanatarium” is just another big government NeoCon and a bigot. Good luck with him you faux conservatives.

MoreLiberty on January 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Tell Mitt to drop out then.

tinkerthinker on January 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Now you’ve done it…….it’s on!

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Santorum called me directly to beg for my support, I said I would think about it.

Bishop on January 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I really believe Rick S. to be the “lesser evil”, right now.

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I like Santorum. But this is my position on Santorum:

I like him, just don’t see him beating 0bama…

OmahaConservative on January 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM

… I was just sayin’.

I wouldn’t actually have chosen any of these guys to be my field. Again, I think we were all looking for a reformer. I don’t know how much reformation we’re going to actually get. Maybe I’m getting cynical. I can see the box: 30% more fiber. Inside the box: same cereal.

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I think if you want reform, you have to look to Congress in this cycle.

Ed Morrissey on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

But if you want it signed into law, you need to elect a Republican President.

Ed Morrissey on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I like him, just don’t see him winning the primary. beating 0bama…

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM

MoreLiberty on January 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

…and stick it gently up yours too!
(:>)

KOOLAID2 on January 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM

*double facepalm/weeping*

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM

That pretty much sums up this whole primary season. lol

Fallon on January 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I still insist that ALL of our candidates (including the drop-outs) are well able to beat Obama.

I also agree that, “I wish there was more to this field.”

However, that cereal analogy is a good one!

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I think if you want reform, you have to look to Congress in this cycle.

Ed Morrissey on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I’m hoping, praying, that the collective sweep we began last cycle is alive and well in spirit, and we get to finish what we started. It feels to me that this has been one long election cycle, beginning with the house last time. If it feels like that to enough people, things might … I might …

I durst not think it. :)

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Rick Santorum: “I hate big government except for Big Labor. Oh, and I love the government telling people who they can and cannot kiss.”

Notorious GOP on January 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I think if you want reform, you have to look to Congress in this cycle.

Ed Morrissey on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

But if you want it signed into law, you need to elect a Republican President.

Ed Morrissey on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

So it can sit on some desk or blocked in the Senate?

KOOLAID2 on January 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Ed, if you’re getting “frequent” calls for these sorts of events, I’m betting the system isn’t totally random. Either they know who you are and include you, or (more likely) they weight the phone numbers of people who actually respond and agree. So, the more often you participate, the more often you’ll get to participate.

GWB on January 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Rick Santorum is not going to be the republican nominee. If he stays in after tomorrow’s Florida primary results, I will be surprised.

Dr Evil on January 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM

libfreeordie on January 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

No, the two don’t go together in the way you have said it. They *do* go together if what you mean by “global military super power” is nation-building and peacekeeping and playing world cop. That, however, is not what those words necessarily mean.

GWB on January 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM

MoreLiberty on January 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Notorious GOP on January 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I’m sure if Santy made it into office, I would still be able to tell you…”HERE!…KISS THIS!”
(:>)

KOOLAID2 on January 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM

What’s all this “sucks to be us” stuff? It sucks to be BHO with nothing positive on which to stand!

There is no perfect candidate in the GOP field – that is no one candidate will be perfect to every voter. It’s an impossibility.

Just like I’d like to suggest to the candidates, I’ll suggest to the Hot Air readers, let’s look for the positives, shall we? The field is set.

This all makes me want to scream out loud! Keep your eyes on the ball and on the prize. It’s November 2012. No wonder the DEMS think we’re nervous after reading some of these comments.

Oink on January 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Notorious GOP on January 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

WRONG

“I don’t know of any people in the labor movement – and I’ve been around a long time – that’s ever supported Rick Santorum. Ever,” said Allegheny County Labor Council President Jack Shea.

“Rick Santorum is no friend of labor. Never has been,” said Marty Mack, a labor political operative in the state. “If the choice becomes Rick Santorum and Barack Obama, there will not be a single labor union in the country that would support Rick Santorum.”

tom daschle concerned on January 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Oink on January 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM

THANK YOU ! ! ! !

I,ve been trying to get this across in different words but it doesn’t seem to be ‘sticking’.

Would ANY of the candidates PLEASE pick-up the theme:

“Govt. isn’t the solution to the problem, Govt. IS the problem.”

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Love that you used the word intranecine! I haven’t heard it since in Catholic high school. Perfect in context.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Oink on January 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Not to worry, just because the shake up I want isn’t going to happen, I know that unseating Obama is job one. At the same time, I don’t think it will hurt any of our candidates to know that more is expected of them. Treating them like they are the answer without them even proving they know the question isn’t helpful.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The exchange with Romney on Romneycare = Obamacare won me. Screw the pragmatists – of the 4 clowns I’m going w/ Santorum!

Quetzal on January 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

elm on January 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Elm I get your point. However, Santorum needs to work on his presence. Looking perpetually angry is not inspiring to people. It needs to be tempered with just as much optimism and solutions to balance it out. I personally do not have a problem with Santorum’s apparent anger on stage, but many do.

KickandSwimMom on January 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Good to hear that Santorum is making a run in MN. He has always been a well prepared individual in answering people’s questions. There may be a few things that I disagree with him about. However, at least, I know where he stands and he stands firm on them; going further, he explains his errors/mistakes and why he changed position.

Of the top three candidates, he is the best.

PuritanD71 on January 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Just an opinion here. Don’t be surprised to find Bachmann campaigning for Romney or at least speaking on his behalf.

Since Sarah came out with her recent statements regarding Newt, Bachmann is doing the same thing. Not supporting Newt of course, but she was on Levin’s program the other night and said she is going to participate.

bluefox on January 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Oh no, You are going to get Mitt, they tell me, you’re gonna like it. Santorum just can’t beat anyone.

Bmore on January 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

If he’s continuing to look forward, I’m glad to hear that.

Logus on January 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

He’s become my first choice as well.
Though he’s to the right of me…I think he’s a good man of strong convictions and character.
That’s enough right now
Hope he stays in until TX.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Sanatorum got an impassioned endorsement from Michelle Malkin today. I like him a lot, but am saddened by the msm’s laser focus on making him out to be a “nut” because of his unwavering pro-life positions and actions. He is sharp and more historically consistent than the other 3 guys on foreign & domestic policy, but he would get crucified by the culture-of-death MSM, thus achieving their goal of swaying the uninformed to Obummer.

KS Rex on January 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

scalleywag on January 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM

All right — but to be clear, even though I can’t get excited about Newt, I still loves me some Sarah.

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Sanatorum got an impassioned endorsement from Michelle Malkin today.

KS Rex on January 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

… Should have a post here.

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

How’s the money look Rick?

JohnGalt23 on January 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I live in Minneapolis, Mn and I am going to support Santorum in the caucus. I am trying to gather support from fellow Conservatives to attend the caucus. The vote totals are generally low so small numbers can produce big results. The local Catholic Archbishop cannot advocate for a particular candidate but he is disappointed in Obama’s support for mandatory contraceptive coverage and Gov. Dayton’s support for homosexual marriage. This might help to get out the vote. There are a lot of Ron Paul supporters up here who could take the lead also. I see Mn as between Romney, Paul, and Santorum. There is very little mention of Gingrich except in passing jokes.

K Michael ODonovan on January 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

My sentiments exactly. Well said.

lea on January 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

KS Rex on January 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

MSM will ALWAYS “focus like a laser” on ANY candidate that is like unto Rick Santorum, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, or Ronald Reagan.
I’m uncertain whether or not Herman Caine, or Rick Perry should have been included in that list.

If the “Professionals” whose careers are in the field of Journalism aren’t trying to destroy you, then something’s wrong with you.
Either they think your ‘weak’, and not worth their time and effort, or you’re COMPROMISED.

That’s just the way it is.

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I like him, just don’t see him winning the primary. beating 0bama…

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Please note :)

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Sanatorum got an impassioned endorsement from Michelle Malkin today.
KS Rex on January 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

… Should have a post here.
Axe on January 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Yes, I’ve got my magnifying glass out, going all over the page looking for the ‘missing post’. I can’t find it either.
Don’t know what could have happened to it . . . . . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Please note :)
Axe on January 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Is THAT the ‘missing post’? : )

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

For Santorum

But I meant a post on HotAir. I tried to make the case in a tip, but maybe I shouldn’t have started it with “AP and lesser minions,” — :)
I think that endorsement is pretty important. Malkin’s kind of a big deal.

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM

But I meant a post on HotAir.
Axe on January 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM

This classic, or typical aspergian/autistic “misunderstanding”.

I refer to the stories that the Hotair staff posts as ‘threads’.

Easy to get confused. ( s i g h )

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Easy to get confused. ( s i g h )

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

If this world wasn’t occasionally confusing to you, I’d be terrified to talk to you. :) Heaven help us handle anyone for whom all this makes sense.

Axe on January 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Picking someone that you don’t necessarily like because he “may be able to beat Obama” is stupid.

Picking someone you don’t necessarily like because you’re concerned about downticket success is stupid.

Strategic voting is for old-style Germans.

UODuckMan on January 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

My brother, Paul supporter, told me that only Romney and Paul have the mathematical possibility of winning enough delegates to get the nomination. Is that right?

(I tried to ask in a previous thread, but MadCon and Dr. Tesla were too busy measuring their dongs to let any other voice be heard in that thread…)

cptacek on January 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM

First rule of thumb: do no harm.

matthew8787 on January 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM

matthew8787, I understand the point you are making, but I don’t agree that Romney would be the strongest candidate for this purpose. I don’t see any reason to think that Indies and Moderate Democrats who might vote for Rommey would also vote for Republicans in down-ballot races. So if there’s a high turnout among Indies and Mods, and a relatively low turnout among Conservatives, it’s likely that Republicans will not fare well. IOW, I don’t think that Romney’s coattails will be long enough to generate support for down-ballot Republicans.

Just Sayin on January 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Within the first 30 comments there were at least 18 examples of:

“I like him, but…”

Lemmings. If you prefer him on policy, on conservatism, on principle, then get behind him and find out how far he can go! Haven’t you all had enough of caving in to the anti-Reagan moderates in the party? It is now, in the primary season, where you try to choose the candidate who aligns with your ideals.

If a more honest conservative gets the nomination, I don’t care who he is, the Right will rise up and bring a landslide. If you fold your hand and allow the nominee to be selected by the elites, Obama has won already.

Vote your conscience. Every time.

Freelancer on January 31, 2012 at 3:06 AM