Ingraham: Maybe the Tea Party isn’t as strong as the media thinks

posted at 3:40 pm on January 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Does the slate of surviving Republican presidential choices in this primary mean that the Tea Party’s strength has been overrated — or just directed elsewhere? The Daily Caller has a clip from a fascinating discussion between Laura Ingraham and George Will from ABC’s This Week: Green Room over what a Mitt Romney nomination would mean:

“They don’t have the power that they thought they had, perhaps,” Ingraham said. “I mean, Romney is not a tea party candidate, and they’re talking about 27 percent of the Republican Party that still believe it’s tea party infused. The tea party, they have a lot of energy but you know … more of a moderate view of conservatism seems to get nominated every time. And that’s just a fact. The tea party doesn’t have the great strength that the old media believe.”

Washington Post columnist George Will didn’t completely agree that the tea party has lost it’s strength. He suggested that Romney pick a tea party running mate, and said the grassroots should focus on winning in the Senate until they have stronger national candidates.

“It’s too soon to say that,” Will said. “If the tea party withdraws its enthusiasm and says we’re going to concentrate on carrying the Senate and fight again when our bench is stronger in 2016 … I think [Romney’s] going to want a running mate who can connect with the people he can’t, and that is the Republican base.”

I wrote about this less than two weeks ago, although it seems like an age now. In my column for The Week, I pointed out that lasting grassroots movements take years to work their way into the leadership of major parties and produce credible candidates for high office. I’d call the 2010 midterms a big success and a huge head start, but it’s far too early to have a ready-made Tea Party candidate that can win election at this juncture. Look for 2016 or 2020, depending on the outcome of this election, for that kind of impact.

In that sense, I agree with both Ingraham and Will. I disagree with Will on his prescription for Tea Party support and for running-mate strategy:

“In 2010, the Republican Party got 63 percent of the votes of whites without college educations,” Will continued. “That is the Republican base and that is exactly the base he can’t connect with. This is the case for Chris Christie.”

Will isn’t alone in making this suggestion, either:

If Mitt Romney is the Republican nominee, my model estimates that he is 25 percent likely to pick Chris Christie as his running mate, a popular moderate governor from New Jersey who himself flirted with running for president before strongly endorsing Romney. (This in spite of the fact that you’d have two Northeasterners on the ticket.) The market puts Christie’s overall chance of being the VP of any Republican nominee at only 14 percent, but because his odds tend to rise in tandem with Romney’s, my model boosts his chances to 25 percent in the scenario where Romney is the nominee. Rubio is a close second to be Romney’s right-hand man at 22 percent. Rubio’s VP odds actually drop whenever Romney’s go up (they are anti-correlated), but because Rubio’s such a likely overall pick, he’s still the second-most likely Romney pairing. Rubio so far hasn’t endorsed a presidential candidate and has repeatedly said he’s not interested in the VP job. No other candidate rises above single digits as Mitt’s pick for a-heartbeat-away.

If Gingrich wins the Republican primary, he’s most likely, at 30 percent, to pair up with Rubio. Christie virtually falls out of the running for VP at below 5 percent if Gingrich emerges the primary winner. Over the past 90 days, when Gingrich rose in the presidential market, Rubio tended to rise too and Christie tended to fall in the vice presidential market.

Tea Party adherents may admire Christie’s passion and bluntness, but they’re not going to like some of his political positions. Christie didn’t win statewide in New Jersey by being a rock-ribbed conservative. He’s as conservative as one is likely to find in that position in New Jersey, but he’s hardly the kind of laissez-faire moderately-libertarian activist that populates the Tea Party. That doesn’t mean Christie doesn’t have a future in the GOP either, but pairing Romney with another Northeastern Republican, even one as pugnacious as Christie, is not a recipe for exciting the base.

If Romney wins, I’d look for a call to Marco Rubio (although I think it would be a mistake for Rubio to agree), or perhaps Susannah Martinez in New Mexico, who has been governor for about the same amount of time Rubio has been Senator. I think it’s more likely to be Bobby Jindal, though, who has a record of reform and a solid base of support from conservatives, plus is a current Southern governor on his second term. It’s a stronger position for a ticket that would put itself as an outsider pairing coming to take on Washington DC and the corruption of crony capitalism.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How exactly are Rubio or Martinez more conservative than Christie?

This is nothing more than regional bias.

I look at their records and Christie seems the more conservative of the three .

joana on January 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Did you read the first sentence of the article you linked?

Night Owl on January 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I did read it. I don’t use sarc tags.

de rigueur on January 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Night Owl on January 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Hey, Night Owl

MontanaMmmm on January 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I could deal with a Romney but he’d need to pick someone like Alan West as his VP. We need good Military and foreign policy representation. Also, Bolton agreed to be somewhere in there.

A Newt / West ticket would be something to see.

Key West Reader on January 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Of only THAT were true. The Laissez faire moderately libertarian activists that were central to the birth of the T-Party have left for greener pastures once the social con statist faction decided to take over and impose their SOCIAL views as central to the T-Party and MANDATORY for any candidate.
The T-party is now indistinguishable from the old right hard line social con wing of the Party. Libertarian fiscal cons need not apply.
Too bad… it was really a hope for a new coalition that would form a new Republican majority there for a while…and be able to attract the independent vote as well.
They shoulda listened to Mitch Daniels about a year ago. Too late now. Romney is the man and he owes the T party nothing.

camaraderie on January 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

True. Christie won in NJ because a) the state was in shambles (70% property tax increase over the previous 10 years, and b) he ran a campaign of generalities.

I’d have to say that as a ‘northeast republican governor,’ Christie’s at least had some laws enacted to the betterment of the average taxpayer. Property taxes haven’t gone down, but they’re generally not rising above the 2% mark he enacted. He’s now concentrating on tenure reform and touting a 10% reduction in state income tax.

Also, our esteemed legislature recently decided that gay marriage was the most important issue for NJ taxpayers. Christie wants to put the issue to the voters, the legislature and local/national activists claim it would be too expensive.

I’m not sure Mitt would garner any support w/Christie as a veep, but, from my perspective, at least Christie is getting legislation passed which hasn’t harmed the taxpayer in any way.

As for Ms. Ingraham and Mr. Will, please.

Their opinions matter as much as, well, yours. Or mine.

jersey taxpayer on January 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Key West, haven’t you heard they are trying and looks likey that they (the Repubs) will redistrict West out! Look it up there is not pretty info about who is most likey behind it.

MontanaMmmm on January 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Or maybe it’s just beginning.

That’s certainly my hope. The tea party has no chance this year to be much of an influence in the presidential election.

But I’d like to see it focus on the 16 or 17 states that elect senators this year and in any house election where they would not be wasting their money because of an incumbent’s solid standing.

EconomicNeocon on January 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

That’s because it’s fictional thing that’s now coveting a unlikable serial cheating washington insider, who’s been baking legislation for a price. The Tea Party is false.

rubberneck on January 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM

A Newt / West ticket would be something to see.

Key West Reader on January 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM

West is way outside the mainstream…more than Palin was.

rubberneck on January 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Always a voice for reason.

Hope you post as you did during the 2010 elections.

Barred on January 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Thank you, Barred.

I will be posting whenever I have useful info to contribute to the discussion.

I hope all Hot Air commenters will help to keep us all informed of who the best candidates are in their local areas!

wren on January 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I look at their records and Christie seems the more conservative of the three .

joana on January 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

That would depend on what issue you’re considering.

jersey taxpayer on January 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I am a member of the Tea Party, but I can’t speak for it. I don’t really know who can. But I can tell you this: I can’t stand Romney, and the only way he will ever get my vote will be if he is the nominee against Obama in the fall, because Obama must be defeated for the sake of the country. If he gets another four years, the representative republic, and the liberty we knew is gone. So if Romney is the nominee, he will have my vote, simply because he will be the ABO candidate.

But after that, all bets are off. The Republican Establishment in Washington has torn off its mask, to reveal itself as almost as much my enemy as the Socialist Left in America. They live, apparently, for their own comfortable lifestyles and power, to grow government (only slower than the Democrats). Considering the national debt and the constriction of freedom we are now facing, that is unacceptable to me. I will work against them as hard as I can.

hachiban on January 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM

You speak for many of us, hachiban.

Just Sayin on January 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The Tea Party lives…I think its the GOP that is dead.

EnochCain on January 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I think that is close. The Tea Party in 2010 helped send non-Beltway types to DC but fossils Boehner and McConnell in “leadership” remain determined to maintain a do-nothing good-ole-boy approach to business as usual.

viking01 on January 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM

What was the Tea Party Movement has been severely fractured and shattered. Sorry folks it began to fall apart in 2009 when various wannabes began to act like they were leading the movement.

Kermit on January 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

MontanaMmmm on January 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Beat me to it. Of course, the deep game could be to leave West with no alternative than to accept the Romney Veep offer. That’s got to be it.

de rigueur on January 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I did read it. I don’t use sarc tags.

de rigueur on January 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Good

Night Owl on January 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM

What Tea Party members do not seem to understand, and is their achilles heel…

Kermit on January 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Let’s see, Romney, Mr. Liberal Democtrat…
Go Newt and/or Cuda.
Landon Thompson on January 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Seek help.
The Count on January 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Why? Isn’t there someone with you who can assist you?

Landon Thompson on January 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM

MontanaMmmm on January 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

de rigueur on January 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Exactly. Big Government has a post today relating to what Ohio Republicans are trying to implement in order to keep Tea Party candidates out of their little “club”.

Key West Reader on January 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Let us just see how the vote goes tomorrow in Florida…

… It should be interesting.

Seven Percent Solution on January 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM

LilyBart on January 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Given that Soros had at least some and possilby a major part in bringing us Obama…Given that he said in 2004 that he committed his life to defeating GW Bush. Given that he finances many known and unknown socialist orgaizations like media matters. Do you really think he is trying to help Romney? Regardless of who you support at this point, Romney is polling the strongest against Obama…Soros is trying to boost the not-Romney by saying that there is no difference between Romney and Obama…It’s pure gamesmanship.

Nozzle on January 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Laura Ingraham has always looked down on the TEA Party organizations – she’s a NE liberal republican or RINO. She drooled over mittens in 2008 and he lost to mccain – go figure. The entire Bush clan are NE liberal republicans (aka. the republican elite or RINOs). The elites like Ingraham and Will just want someone to demonize and beat up on inside the party – just like mccain did. Read this – it’s important:

That’s the GOP – they hate conservatives – FISCAL conservatives.

uber-con on January 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I have made up my mind. I will NOT vote for Romney. I am sick and tired of settling for the lessor of 2 evils. I want a conservative or I’ll not vote. I just hope America is strong enough to stand 4 more years of obama.

jjthetraveler on January 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

IF Romney wins Ed,
I see as a SOLID ticket a Romney/DeMint ticket thus fulfilling your articles points. Plus DeMint could look at it as 8 years as a VP and he is NOT getting any younger would be a great way to wrap up a political career or make a run himself in 2020 but age would be a factor or at the end he could look at being a Sec/State or some other appointment.

g2825m on January 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Good God! Will these Republican establishment types never learn? Was this not the strategy in 2008 when they gave us “RINO” McCain and paired him with a Republican base running mate? And now they are promoting the same for 2012. Please spare us!

Goodbye Republican affiliation. Hello Independent.

chickasaw42 on January 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

The Tea Party went mainstream not long after 2010. Also, there are some that agree with Tea Party ideals, but don’t identify with the movement. For example, 70% of Americans agree with a balanced budget amendment. Most people agree with a reduction in spending. And so on. Are liberals going to admit to being in concert with the Tea Party? No way. Even conservatives no longer need to identify with the Tea Party when the message of overspending is well known.

I’ve said this BEFORE 2010. I said that the Tea Party name will likely disappear and instead transition as mainstream ideology. But that the media will think the Tea Party has disappeared. This is happening at an accelerating rate. The media is giddy about it, but they completely miss what’s really happening.

MrX on January 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Hey, Night Owl

MontanaMmmm on January 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Hi! I see there are other people planning to change their party affiliation besides you and me!

Night Owl on January 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Nozzle on January 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I was making a joke re Soros – but I do agree that there is too little daylight between the two.

You may comfort yourself that Mr. big governement, crony republican has a chance to beat Obama, but it does not comfort me. I value personal liberty and small government principals. I will continue to support these – not anybody who has an “R” next to his /her name.

In 2008, I talked my spouse out of his protest vote – and into voting for McCain as the lesser of two evils. But we are both tired of having our principals violated by the people who are supposed to be ‘represeting’ us. Don’t count on my vote this time around – I don’t see that I’m much better off with a liberal republican.

LilyBart on January 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Maybe we as a nation deserve Obama and Co. It’s tragic for those who see the destructive and unconstitutional nature of their polices and didn’t vote for them but sadly, since we’re not Unions or big doners, we can’t get waivers from their policies.

Yakko77 on January 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

That is the beauty of our Republic, we always get the government we deserve.

Until more people pay attention to the underlying problems in this country and make the determination to enact change through their vote, then the government we deserve will always fall short of the government of we need.

ButterflyDragon on January 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Nozzle on January 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM

He’s not the only one saying it.

Night Owl on January 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Yes, we have them to thank for Majority Leader Reid.

Which is wonderful for people who post irrelevant blogs for a living or host silly talk shows, but hard on the Actual American community.

NoDonkey on January 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Typical nearsighted, short-term thinking Republican. That’s how the liberals beat you. They thought long term.

DFCtomm on January 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Jindal is a fine choice, but I still prefer Paul Ryan. That would give Mittens a huge boost of credibility with Tea Partiers and conservatives. Either one would be great though.

Doughboy on January 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Jindal yes (pure executive experience)…Paul Ryan…NO!!! We need him right where he ios at…we cannnot afford to lose his congreessional seat or his voice of economic reason within that body… as a side note…

RedLizard64 on January 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Chris Christie will not appeal to whatever segment of the GOP/TP who identify as social conservative.

katiejane on January 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Unfortunately, a significant portion of tea party members are mature individuals-many of them retired. I don’t see it as a youth movement which is how the left infiltrated the educational system-and the media. The tea party can make inroads into the political structure, but I can’t see them inflitrating the education system (generation 1), and subsequently the media (generation 2), the way the left has.

talkingpoints on January 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

It seems to me that a large portion of the 60′s generation true-believing Alinsky lefties that are now in leadership positions in congress and universities will be heading to nursing homes and graveyards over the next 10-15 years. It’s the OWS entitlement-minded generation they taught that is behind them to pick up the mantle, and I don’t see them having the same kind of talent.

Conversely, I see our side’s young guns as more energetic, vibrant and intellectually engaged. (Look at the average age of GOP representatives vs. Dem). Compare Deb Wasserman Schultz and Anthony Weiner to Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio.

Uncledave on January 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

uber-con on January 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Good gracious.

Now we are going after Laura Ingraham and calling her a RINO??!!?

When is this nonsensical witch hunt going to end?

RightWay79 on January 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Ingraham: Maybe the Tea Party isn’t as strong as the media thinks

It’s strong alright. It’s just that there is no voice for the Tea Party in the mass media, or in politics. It’s a grass roots movement. It’s not going to vanquish the establishment overnight. First of all, the Tea Party needs to get straight what it believes, or it’s going to dissolve into just another constituency of conservatism, settling for Bush type Republicans.

rickv404 on January 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I like the idea of Jindal as VP.

ardenenoch on January 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Jindal has time on his side, is doing good work in Louisiana and building a very solid CV, plus he is smart enough not to hitch is wagon to a falling star.

Christien on January 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

If Romney gets the nomination, then the Tea Party is most likely doomed, at least as a national political force. His nomination will show that we are what we are, a grass roots, locally focused, disorganized group that can not coalesce on a single candidate to defeat someone like Romney, a liberal republican (at best) who is getting only about 1/3 of the Republican vote.

Put a fork in it. Its done.

Just my opinion.

JeffVader on January 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Re: VP choice

I LOVE how you all think it’ll help if we have a real fiscal conservative going to ribbon cuttings and state funerals while Mr. Crony Capitalism is back at the Big White continuing what GWB started: Destroying capitalist to ‘save it’.

LilyBart on January 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Romney/Christie? Will certainly nail down the states in the Northeast
part of the country.

Romney/Martinex? The Hispandering ticket with an inexperienced
woman from a low electoral vote state

Romney/Jindal? A Mormon/Native Born American ticket. See the
Presidential Qualifications Clause

Romney/Rubio? Another Native Born American ticket (See above) with
the Native Born American having a few months
of Senatorial experience.

Romney/West? Uh…won’t happen.

I.E. None of the above

Horace on January 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Good gracious.

Now we are going after Laura Ingraham and calling her a RINO??!!?

When is this nonsensical witch hunt going to end?

RightWay79 on January 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I don’t want it to in a way. Don’t you think it’s time that people competed to be the most conservative, instead of the most progressive? Let them keep moving the bar as long as it’s to the right. Let everybody keep one-uping each other as long as they keep moving to the right.

DFCtomm on January 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Put a fork in it. Its done.

Just my opinion.

JeffVader on January 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

The last breaths of liberty?

LilyBart on January 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

RightWay

It is getting down to where everyone is a RINO except Newt and the dinosaurs he plans to put in that Jurassic Park redo on the Moon, and there are some dinosaurs who are questionable.

Horace on January 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

You speak for many of us, hachiban.

Just Sayin on January 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM

AGREED…that being said, with so many “Tea Partier’s” and kindred-spirits of same…I keep hearing the I will vote for Romney to slow the slide down…if the establishment hear’s this too often they will not change at all and they will be even more entrenched wehen you go to battle the next time…I am NOT an advocate for staying home but It would be intersting if there were enough CAIN/PALIN/ RUBIO/WEST/BOLTON/insert non-Romney name here…that yes Obama wins but the establishment loses also and IF the country could just keep Obama from going full bore despot…then the establishment would either start in-fighting, be obsolete, or at a minimum have to pull extreme right in order to not watch their wealth and power get gobbled by a maniacal narcisstic socialist dictator. Voting a conservaticve write in does several things…It allows you to say: 1) “I did not vote for Obama”. 2) “I did not vote for the lessor of two evils in my own party”. 3) I voted for someone who I believed would make a difference…if given a chance”. 4) “I voted…and I voted my conscience”. 5) I accept the responsibility of my vote…can you say the same”?

RedLizard64 on January 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

RedLizard64 on January 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I say – Go to the polls and vote- do not stay home – Vote for the most conservative for Congress / the Senate as possible. That will keep us in the best shape possible until we can figure out how to get back to candidates that support liberty.

LilyBart on January 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

this tea bagger isn’t voting for Romney in any election. If he’s nominated, he’s the GOPe’s problem. I’ll be voting for a small government candidate no matter what.

james23 on January 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Someone might want to remind Laura that the Tea Party is not your ‘typical’ political organization – with a national headquarters and a cadre of paid operatives.

GarandFan on January 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

The so-called Tea Partiers elected to Congress in 2010 are like the “Lost Battalion” in World War I. They marched into the fog and disappeared, just as Trent Lott predicted.

Let’s not forget that “Amazing Marco” Rubio called the murderous thugs in the Libya matter “heroes.”

And Paul Ryan, although not elected for the first time in 2010, but a Tea Party favorite, voted for TARP and the auto bailouts.

Gone with the wind.

Horace on January 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

People who crow about the Tea Party being dead or having somehow “blown it” are generally not involved in the Tea Party. I have a friend who supports Ron Paul, but constantly derides the Tea Party as “extreme.” It’s willful ignorance that informs that kind of comment, particularly when we are so easily investigated by anyone who wants to know more.

The bottom line is that you are more than welcome to join us, but this REMF sniping has got to stop. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Nom de Boom on January 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM

So, is it official?
14th Amendment babies are “Natural Born Citizens” in the context of Article II, Section 1, clause 5?
Minor vs Happersett was wrong?
230 years of precedent be damned?
Since they got away with it, we want our guys, too?
BS.

Dexter_Alarius on January 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Good question, Dexter.

cptacek on January 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Minor vs Happersett was wrong?

Nope. Happersett involved the birth on American soil to parents who were not citizens. Individual found to be a “native born American citizen” via XIVth Amendment “subject to the jurisdiction of” Clause.

Had absolutely nothing to do with the concept of “naturally born citizen.” In fact, supports my position 100% re Rubio and Jindal.

But, what they hey? Obama, Sr. was a British citizen. Let’s just ignore the Constitution. I’m gonna start by ignoring the XVIth Amendment! Income Tax Freedom!

Horace on January 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

RedLizard64 on January 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Sheesh, we had a conservative in the race with tons of executive accomplishments but morons would not get behind him due the American Idol factor of the so called debates.

Kermit on January 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I was really looking forward to Laura popping some liberal bubbles on This Week.

Speakup on January 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

MrX on January 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I took ~40 years for the hard left to field a true hard-left President. They finally got him in 2008, after they fully assimilated the Party structure and leadership.

It takes time and work to overhaul a party, so dismissing the Tea Party this soon seems a bit absurd.

JeffWeimer on January 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

james23 on January 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

So, I can send the flaming bag of dog schit to your house when Obama gets elected again, right?

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on January 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Laura Ingraham submit you will be assimilated LOL! Ingraham must have had one of those new flexible spines inserted she’s bending over backwards for the liberal squish from Massachusetts.

Is there anyone left on the right with any reputation left?

Boy when they took out Murdoch’s News of the World in England, they neutered the whole bunch.

Murdoch’s new headache: the secrets of Data Pool 3

As the scandal engulfing the UK press spreads to another Murdoch tabloid, police have gained access to a previously-deleted News International computer server that may yet prove to be the stick that breaks the media mogul’s back. It is known as Data Pool 3.

Dr Evil on January 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on January 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Obama is going to be reelected, because the stupid party has formed a circular firing squad.

Dr Evil on January 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on January 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Dr Evil on January 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Well, yeah, that too.
Our crop of candidates needed more fertilizer. Either that or I need more beer.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on January 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Nobody speaks for the Tea Party–not Palin nor Rubio nor Christie. But basically it was always about excessive government spending and a growing government bureaucracy. Insofar as that’s true, Romney makes much more sense than Gingrich. He has a reputation of making companies leaner and meaner. He made a lot of enemies doing the same thing for MA.

writeblock on January 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Whoever the nominee is, I think he would benefit by choosing someone with a strong Military record. I don’t know about the political payoff but it would be good for the country. Petrayus would be cool but if you want to ignite the tea party, Allen West.

Honest Debate on January 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

“They don’t have the power that they thought they had, perhaps,” Ingraham said. “I mean, Romney is not a tea party candidate..”

Or maybe there was no decent Tea Party candidate in the race.

xblade on January 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Laura (unlike Ann coulter) was a big surprising disappointment since she sold out to the GOP ruling class. (Ann was expected)

Why is the GOP so afraid of letting the voters pick the next president and the poor taxpayers stop electing folks who love the bleeding?

Don L on January 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Good gracious.

Now we are going after Laura Ingraham and calling her a RINO??!!?

When is this nonsensical witch hunt going to end?

RightWay79 on January 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

The lady (with Coulter) several times helped destroy Palin for the GOP elite machine and now she’s helping the elite’s favorite RINO by attacking Newt.(any enemy of the elite GOP is my friend now)

Do we have to spell it out. They’re all in this game together. I’m done with the GOP

Don L on January 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM

hachiban on January 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Amen! Preach it!

dominigan on January 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Good gracious.

Now we are going after Laura Ingraham and calling her a RINO??!!?

When is this nonsensical witch hunt going to end?

RightWay79 on January 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Don L on January 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM

She is a cocktail party elitist. She hasn’t been funny since she staged that walkout over her contract. Instead of being grateful Monica Crowley didn’t take her place, she’s gotten arrogant and abusive especially on religious matters.

I still listen to her show because it is important to know what the Fifth Column is up to.

platypus on January 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM

We’ll see.

Schadenfreude on January 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM

RedLizard64 on January 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The only way I see this happening is if a strong independent, CONSERVATIVE candidate declared as a third party candidate, with a plan for the country and a party.

The GOP would sh*t a brick.

dominigan on January 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Don L on January 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM

platypus on January 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Well keep at it, man.

That Fifth Column must NOT be left ‘unmonitored’.

listens2glenn on January 30, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I used to really enjoy listening to Laura four years ago, but as someone above said, she’s changed. I don’t know if it was her success or what, but she doesn’t treat callers with much respect, and she isn’t as happy-go-lucky – she’s almost bitter.

Stray Cat on January 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Key West Reader on January 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I live in Columbus. The Ohio Repub Central Committee leaders are BARELY a step above libs… which is probably why I detest the GOP elite. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were found to be donating to Obama under assumed names. That’s how bad they are. I’ve heard first-hand accounts of how they’ve worked to undermine conservatives in their own party. And frankly, I’m disgusted with them.

They were the ones that sent out a mailer advocating TEA Party values by voting for John Husted! Are you freaking kidding?

Here’s your article for those interested…

dominigan on January 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Well, yeah, that too.
Our crop of candidates needed more fertilizer. Either that or I need more beer.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on January 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I think these candidates are full of it, and let’s face it we can all use more beer :)

Dr Evil on January 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Look up Christie’s record on the second ammendment.

Charm on January 30, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I love listening to people talk about the Tea Party. They can’t think beyond a political party. They cannot grasp that it is a set of ideas that are already in motion. They expect Tea Partiers to demonstrate all the time. The Tea Party understands the importance of getting candidates in office to replace the spineless. The rallies were to make people aware of the problem with the government and to see who else in on the same page. There are plenty of people on board with this problem. I live in very liberal California which is probably a lost cause for decades. But even in California between “surf’s up” thoughts, there is a dawning realization that big government is a problem. That is what the rallies brought about. Now, it is pushing politicians in the right direction, getting good candidates to run and finding action that works. There is no central Tea Party. They are diverse in who they believe will be the best candidate. I’ve watched in California how lefties bring about change and, believe me, it doesn’t take great numbers. You have a few people whining persistantly and things change.

Charm on January 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM

A Newt / West ticket would be something to see.

Key West Reader on January 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM

West is way outside the mainstream…more than Palin was.

rubberneck on January 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Palin is the mainstream, as is West. It’s Romney who’s outside the mainstream. Unless you mean the mainstream of the Beltway, in which case Romney is right in the middle of it.

tom on January 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Is it bad for me to say I would support a Romney/Jindel ticket and hope that Mitt somehow goes away?

mechkiller_k on January 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The Tea Party does not exist anymore. When they allowed people like Dick Armey to take them over… they sold their soul.

And people like me… I was Tea Party.

But they became what the left always said they were.

Now Tea Party means… against Mitt Romney.

Most of us, who cared about the issues, got behind Mitt and left the hypocrites behind.

petunia on January 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Laura is about as close to O’reilly as she can get and for those of you who are spouting off about the Tea Party being anything are ignorant of the facts. I have been to several large TP events here in Atlanta and there is no ID card nor oath that we swear to although I consider myself to be a TP member. It is a movement of like minded citizens that think that the government has gotten too large and does not listen to us any longer. There is no hate Obama although we all acknowledge that he is part of the problem. So for those who think of the TP as a monolith like one of the political parties you are wrong. But, you will be surprised when the elections are done at who were helped and hurt by the TP patriots. For any pol to state publicly that the TP is over says so at his/her own peril. BTW, the talking heads that one sees on TV like Dick Army have NOTHING to do with the movement. They may talk all they want to but they cannot deliver one TP vote!

inspectorudy on January 31, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Jindal would be a very good choice for all the reasons Ed listed. If Romney were to make a good VP decision and if the SCOTUS stikes down all or part of Obamacare, neutralizing conservative/tea party concerns about Romney’s ability and willingness to repeal Obamacare, Romney’s challenges with the GOP base could turn out to be less formidable than the currently appear.

RightKlik on January 31, 2012 at 2:02 AM

too bad we can’t elect new media personalities.

Power is with the individual. That is the power of the Tea Party. Power is given, it is NEVER taken, inherited, bestowed, stolen.

POWER IS THRU CONSENT, I DONT GIVE IT SO EFF OFF. screw the folks who make their money blabbing non-sensical. Couldn’t interpret a digital clock.

John Kettlewell on January 31, 2012 at 5:18 AM

The power of the TEA Party could also be displayed by staying home.

portlandon on January 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I have been a reader of Hot-Air for several years. I like to read the comments to get the feel of how others see things. I have completed minimal input.

A lot of “newbies” contributing lately. The sense I am getting is that there are a lot of folks out there “worried” about the influence of the TEA PARTY on this years elections. Making subtle hints for the TEA PARTY citizens to stay at home and NOT VOTE will not work. We showed our collective strength by VOTING in 2010 and will do the same in 2012.

So called progressives “should” be concerned..

Panentheist on January 31, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Romney has a history of giving his constituents what they want, as evidenced by his record as Governor of MA. He is also a fan of moving the current power base from the Federal government to the States. That is what his record and campaign promises reflect. Since the voters have consistently supported the repeal of Obamacare, I think that Romney can be trusted to work toward that goal and send the health care issue back to the States where it belongs. Romney will also keep the Federal judicial system from being dominated by left-leaning judges. Considering the age of some of the more conservative supreme court justices, this issue by itself should give us all a good reason to unite behind the eventual GOP nominee (even if it isn’t Romney). If the tea party stays engaged in the game, Romney can beat Obama and be counted on to listen to the voices of conservatives. Nobody helps win a game by sitting on the bench. If the tea party stays home, Obama will win and accelerate his assault on our Constitutional system and values. We will eventually groom better “tea party” presidential candidates, if we stay the course. The tea party movement is relatively young. We need to realize that patient and persistent effort will eventually bear fruit. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Quitting and benching ourselves when we’ve barely gotten into the game isn’t a winning strategy.

NuclearPhysicist on January 31, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Ingraham and Coulter are establishment GOP and have never understood the Tea Party as the RINOs have clearly misunderstood them too. If the truth be known, there is little difference between the Dims and GOP so anything can happen. The Tea Party is NOT a party, but an American spirit that will resurrect as the election nears.

volsense on January 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Rubio will accept because he knows that if Rep’s win, he’s president in 8 years or earlier. If Rep’s lose, he’ll be president in 2016. Get real people, just think the way a politician would.

rjulio on January 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM

In NH Romney had Tea Party backing, with Kelly Ayotte (who herself was endorsed by Sarah Palin) and Nikki Haley campaigning for him.

One difference between the Tea Party in New England and the Tea Party elsewhere is that it is not seeking an evangelical Christian candidate.

The Texas tea party faction that emailed me, said they wanted me to join their effort to defeat Romney. I made sure I typed Unsubscribe in the message line.

After they proclaim they want to defeat Romney, this group wonders aloud: Why Doesn’t Mitt Romney like us? What did we ever do?

The Tea Party is not culturally homogenous. They can only unite over the constitution and small government. Where they deviate from that they will be jousting all day with their friends.

Fleuries on January 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Put a fork in it. Its done.

Just my opinion.

JeffVader on January 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

The Tea Party is not done. Perhaps not a bunch of never ending rallies but still there. On Romney…can’t do it and will vote my conscience for someone, anyone conservative. Meanwhile fill the Senate and Congress with real conservatives and hold the fort sending a really nasty message to the “Old Guard” that wimpy won’t do!

landowner on January 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM