Gingrich: I won’t debate Obama if the moderators are reporters

posted at 8:20 pm on January 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

Yeah, he will, but he’s obliged to say stuff like this on the trail now. Media-bashing has become his calling card. A Newt rally without it would be like a Stones concert without “Satisfaction.” Do the lunar base/flat tax medley if you want, but at some point you’ve got to make the people happy and play your anthem.

“The reporters who run the debates have no interest in asking any question which will affect Obama,” Gingrich told a crowd gathered to see him at the Pensacola airport. “That’s why, as your nominee, I will not accept debates in the fall in which the reporters are the moderators because you don’t need to have a second Obama person on the debate.”

It is not the first time Gingrich has threatened such action during his week in Florida. At a tea party event in Coral Springs last Wednesday, he told the crowd that he would “tolerate” the media-hosted primary debates, but in the general election he would want to set the terms of the debate with the president himself.

“We should be able to talk to the American people without reporters playing gotcha, being clever or having 60-second rules like ‘What would you do about Nigeria in 60 seconds?’ or ‘What’s your answer to Social Security in 30 seconds?’” Gingrich told the enthusiastic crowd.

Here’s the obligatory link to the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, which would give The One plenty of political cover if Gingrich really did balk at the usual format. I’m curious, though: Does he mean he’d accept a moderator so long as it’s not someone from the media or is he still dead set on the seven three-hour Lincoln/Douglas debates that the White House will never, ever agree to? He told Jake Tapper yesterday on “This Week” that he did poorly against Romney in the Florida debates because “You cannot debate somebody who is dishonest. You just can’t. The people say I’m a good debater. I can’t debate somebody who won’t tell the truth.” Good thing Obama’s not dishonest.

Here’s Romney supporter John McCain yesterday on “Meet the Press” demanding an end to the debates, no doubt with an eye to making sure Newt can’t pull another rabbit out of the hat before Super Tuesday the way he did in South Carolina. There are four more debates scheduled at the moment, but if Gingrich does manage to turn this primary into a long slog, no doubt more will be added. Is there any number at which even Newt fans would concede we’ve heard all we need to hear, or is the chance of another magical Juan Williams/John King moment enough to justify 20 more hours, say? Exit question: Is the media actually rooting for Newt? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Lincoln refused to debate if anyone was shelling peanuts in the audience.

It’s true!

profitsbeard on January 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM

So he was sold out to the pistachio lobby?

platypus on January 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

You know, after watching Newt Gingrich’s performances in the debates, his obsession with history, and his tendency to get upset when knocked off his game, I am left with the conclusion that he might have asperger’s.

antisense on January 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

It’s a good thing Mittens was endorsed by Soros…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on January 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

So let’s make sure Mitt clarifies where he will be standing on Obamacare ,Green subsidies and private industry bailouts. The only way to make sure we hold Mitt’s feet to the fire and get him on record being passionately opposed to Obama’s socialist designs is to have Santorum as the Non Romney.

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

You guys. Just. Don’t Get. It. The official record means nothing to a man who will lie through his teeth, to your face, with a wide smile as he does it. The man is not merely a liar. He is a sociopath taking you and every self-styled conservative who votes for him as naive fools completely deserving of the expansive globalist state he plans to force upon you by virtue of your sheer incurable ignorance.

abobo on January 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

All. Of. You. Newt. Guys. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

Individual mandate? Newt was for it for 20 years.

Carbon taxes? Newt was for it.

Clamping down on the First Amendment to fight the GWOT? Newt was for it.

Who was to the LEFT of John Kerry on Global Warming? Newt!

Who believed that the Federal government could mandate diet & exercise? Newt

Who said: “The American challenge in leading the world is compounded by our Constitution. Under our [constitutional system] — either we’re going to have to rethink our Constitution, or we’re going to have to rethink our process of decision-making. [I believe in a] “very strong but limited federal government. I am for the United Nations”? Newt, Newt, Newt!

Who believed that medical marijuana should be legal? Newt.

Who voted to codify the Fairness Doctrine? Newt.

Who said “I’m an Eisenhower Republican”? Newt.

Who said “I am a Rockefeller Republican”? Newt.

Who said “It was an enormous mistake for us to try to occupy [Iraq] after June of 2003. We have to pull back, and we have to recognise it”? Newt.

Who said “So while we need to improve the regulation of the GSEs [Government-Sponsored Enterprises], I would be very cautious about fundamentally changing their role or the model itself”? Newt.

Who said “The opportunity society calls not for a laissez-faire society in which the economic world is a neutral jungle of purely random individual behaviour, but for forceful government intervention on behalf of growth and opportunity”? Newt.

Who said (about climate change and cap-n-trade) “I am not automatically saying that coercion and bureaucracy is not an answer”? Newt.

Who said “Andy Stern, the head of the Service Employees International Union, is the union leader who probably best understands the challenge of the world market and the need to make American union members productive in the face of world competition. Sadly, he is a distinct minority among union leaders”? Newt.

Who said “I suspect, were I still in Congress, in the end, I would probably end up reluctantly yes (voting for TARP)”? Newt.

Who said “I believe in a lean bureaucracy, not in no bureaucracy. You can have an active, aggressive conservative state which does not in fact have a centralised bureaucracy. We have not seen an activist conservative presidency since TR”? Newt.

Who said “I would never vote against my conscience. On the other hand, I also make it a habit to have relatively few things I feel bitterly moral about”? Newt.

Who said “I’m not a natural leader. I’m too intellectual; I’m too abstract; I think too much”? Newt.

Who said “I risk sounding not quite as right-wing as I should, but I’ve spent enough of my life fighting”? Newt.

Every argument you guys make about Mitt can be made against Newt; yet, you give Newt a pass and he has more baggage than the baggage terminal at Heathrow and none of the business successes. Very strange.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

And for the record, I am not a Mittens fan.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

So he was sold out to the pistachio lobby?

platypus on January 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Are you kidding? Bought, sold and paid for.

People in Springfield used to talk about how disgusting those empty shells were all over his law office floor.

And just what do you think he kept in the tall hat he always wore?

Horace on January 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Apocalypse = ANTI-EST

apocalypse on January 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Every argument you guys make about Mitt can be made against Newt…

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

You referenced my post but you didn’t read it. Very Strange.

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I’m with Newt on this one. It would be a refreshing change of pace to have real people asking real questions at a debate. Wow, what a concept!

stukinIL4now on January 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

abobo on January 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Exaggerate much?

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Bbbbbbbbbut, Newt’s a conservative. Thousands of Kool-Aid drinkers say so.

bw222 on January 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Accident. My apologies.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Can we end this already, Newt’s coffin is running out of room for nails.

netster007x on January 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Who ran Democrats out of power for the first time in forty years? Newt.

How’s the rest of the GOP done since 95?

Rovin on January 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

A funny thing happened to me today……I have become so disgusted with the assclownery that the feud between Mitt and Newt has become that I came home looking for a reason to go nuclear in a thread. So I click in here to read the latest sobbing from the mouth of the South Newt. The responses in this thread had me laughing so hard at BOTH of them that I now feel so much better. Thanks Hot Air!

The reality is that both of these guys are elitest scumbags that can’t be trusted beyond the distance my daughter could throw either of them. They are destroying what is left of our gutless party. Santorum is my candidate now, and before some establishment type responds that he has no chance……..PLEASE SPARE ME! Neither Newt nor Mitt has a chance against Dumbo either. At least Santorum will represent my views and fight. I’d rather go down fighting than win with a self absorbed liar which Newt and Mitt have shown themselves to be. Besides, Santorum could win if the issues were the issue.

Thanks Newt and Mitt for revealing yourselves as the scum I always thought you were. You have both (along with your elite friends and endorsers) done more damage to our imperfect party than any other two individuals in history. I hope Santorum surprises everyone and kicks your collective ass.

. I especially liked the Cat in the Hat post! Good stuff.

JohnnyMojo on January 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Who ran Democrats out of power for the first time in forty years? NewtAmerica.

FIFYA

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

yea, but he’ll take it to obama!!! /

peachaeo on January 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Bbbbbbbbbut, Newt’s a conservative. Thousands of Kool-Aid drinkers say so.

bw222 on January 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I know. I keep trying to get the word out. Here pass these two along:

Newt: If You Don’t Know Me By Now… (Mo Will Tell You Everything That I Don’t Want You To Know)

Newt: Bubba, I’ll Stop The World And Melt With You

Pass them along. I guess that I should warn you. “Buy Danish” said “excellent compilation! Too bad the blog is such a mess visually…” Sorry, I am a lawyer, not a website designer. I am more concerned with facts and info than optics. I think the message gets through, but I have told “Buy Danish” he can redesign it if he wants. LOL.

Anyhoo, it’s almost 3 here and I have to go to bed. You guys have a great night. Ciao!

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

yea, but he’ll take it to obama!!! /

peachaeo on January 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Here’s a little secret:

Obama doesn’t have to agree to a single debate.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Newt on Hannity tonight. Impressive stuff. No generalities but specific,immediate, and itemized plans to right the ship of state. Fire away boys!

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

wooow really? dishonest people would be easy to debate, i would think. you can call the person out on their lies.

and haha yeah he’d have a REALLY hard time debating obama if he doen’st like debating dishonest people…

Sachiko on January 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM

i know this is a popular meme, but it’s not happening. there will be 3 debates.

peachaeo on January 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Gingrich: I won’t debate Obama if the moderators are reporters

No probs, Newt. This is a matter that really isn’t going to concern you. Promise.

JackieB on January 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I am left with the conclusion that he might have asperger’s.

antisense on January 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Adult ADD at least. You’re probably not far wrong. But all that means is that he’s creative and excitable.

philwynk on January 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Who ran Democrats out of power for the first time in forty years? Newt.
Rovin on January 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That’s great but all I get now is soap opera. If he can win on the issues then maybe he should try that.

And I do see how there was a lot of co-ordination amongst the RW media to vilify Newt. And I did see the almost criminal revisionism as per Reagan and Newt that the RW media(via Drudge) tried to promote. But after Team Willard’s manufactured drama expired I’m still not seeing what Newt is bringing to the table in 2012. He’s running on moon colonies!?!

Give Santorum a shot. That way we can at least debate the merits and problems of RomneyCare and we can find if Romney can make the repeal argument.

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Bbbbbbbbbut, Newt’s a conservative. Thousands of Kool-Aid drinkers say so.

bw222 on January 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

His ACU rating while serving in the House was 90.

The best way to tell a candidate’s true leaning is to see what he actually did when given the opportunity. Political talk is cheap.

philwynk on January 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Here’s a little secret:

Obama doesn’t have to agree to a single debate.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Like a guy with his approval ratings can afford to sit on his lead….

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Oh yeah, for the record:

Mitt Romney’s ACU rating while governing Massachusetts was 55. Not identical to Obama, certainly, but not really even right of center.

philwynk on January 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Oh yeah, for the record:

philwynk on January 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

55 ACU rating in MA is like an 85 anywhere else.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Has the Mormon won already?

liberal4life on January 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Catch up, Mormon Harry Reid won in 2010.

Del Dolemonte on January 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM

His ACU rating while serving in the House was 90.

philwynk on January 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

He amassed this record representing a conservative district in Georgia. This record is nice, but it’s not exactly a profile in courage.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Newt: talks social conservatism (it’s hypocritical baloney coming from him). Mitt (the one who walks the social conservative walk) talked about the economy.

No contest.

Basilsbest on January 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

How about the 7/11 clerk? He’s available on Thursdays.

rubberneck on January 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Oh yeah, for the record:

philwynk on January 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

55 ACU rating in MA is like an 85 anywhere else.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Doesn’t that mean you’re going to end getting the more Liberal tendencies? Cause a 55 out of Massachusetts, is still gonna play as if they’re in Massachusetts, whereas I think a 90 would swing more to the right, even while taking a look at leftist notions…

Sharr on January 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

You do know that ridiculing people for having ideas like moon colonies is pretty ignorant right? The Chinese are making a move for space dominance as we speak. People ridiculed Da Vinci quite a bit too and made him secretive about his drawings of flying machines. Don’t wear your lack of imagination like a badge of honor. By the way Gingrich is not talking about using public funds for the venture.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Is anybody else just tired of Newt? I can’t imagine having this gasbag in my living room for the next four years; he is almost as bad as Obama on this score. I’ve really had it with the pedantic lectures and the smarmy ideas.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

know this is a popular meme, but it’s not happening. there will be 3 debates.

peachaeo on January 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Probably, but it is not written in stone.

1940: Wendell Wilkie challenged FDR to a debate. FDR declined.

First General Election Debate was in 1960: 4 POTUS debates, no VPOTUS

1964: 0/0

1968: 0/0

1972: 0/0

1976: 3/1

1980: Reagan/Anderson, Reagan/Carter, 1 VPOTUS

1984: 2/1

1988: 2/1

1992: 3/1

1996: 2/1

2000: 3/1

2004: 3/1

2008: 3/1

Obama can do what Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton did and agree to 2 or be like Carter and agree to 1. OR, he could be LBJ and say, “Nyet.”

G’nite.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Sharr on January 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

The point is that it’s kind of tough to be a right-winger in a state like MA. To his credit, Romney vetoed hundreds (literally) of bills while governor of MA. Ther is only so much you can do when the public strongly favors a course of action. I would be a lot more concerned if he had scored a 55 in Utah.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM

One debate with Obama will be enough. And after he loses it, Obama will be begging for a rematch.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Sorry to hear you dislike ideas. You must be a scintillating conversationalist.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Sorry to hear you dislike ideas. You must be a scintillating conversationalist.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Boohoo. sniffle. sniffle.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

You do know that ridiculing people for having ideas like moon colonies is pretty ignorant right?The Chinese are making a move for space dominance …kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Even if it’s a good idea at some point, it’s the wrong time. It’s like when you are in a Chinese restraint and you order a hamburger.

No one out here is thinking about NASA dragging us out of this economic malaise. TARP and the great recession is only 3 years old. A Repub candidate can’t run on super funding space coast travel and win right now. Especially after the opposition spent weeks building Newt up as scattered and prone to grandiose outbursts.

Conservatives want a return to the 10th, a smaller tax burden, a smaller federal government and a recognition that we have determined enemies around the world. Why blurr the lines?

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Obama would run circles around this guy. Hell, he’d run figure 8′s, pretzel shapes, 5k marathons, and parkour obstacle courses around this tool.

Just get this embarrassment out of the spotlight already.

Swerve22 on January 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

It’s not just that his timing often stinks. It’s also that the ideas are so unfocused; they aren’t part of a coherent whole. The only thing that seems to link them is some schmaltzy gimmick: We’ll have the moon colony apply for statehood; we’ll have AMEX and MC run the immigration program; etyc. The whole routine is tiresome.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

The foremost task of the Prez is defense and space research activities indirectly come under that category. Gingrich is thinking of private enterprise as I construed it. Trust me. I am not in favor of big government any more than you, but common defense is a government activity.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I agree that national defense is a government activity, and that space exploration falls under the rubric of national defense. The most disturbing thing about that Gingrich’s idea is that Gingrich thinks that government subsidization of an activity is private enterprise.

However, I agreed with Gingrich’s point that we can do something on space travel if we prioritize. Still, the space program isn’t an issue in this campaign; it’s a frivolous distraction.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

The foremost task of the Prez is defense and space research activities …kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Space research in the context of defense maybe but nothing specifically in the constitution on space research(though It’s been a few years since I looked).

But that’s not the point.
see

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

above.

This election isn’t about the space coast. This is a distraction. Maybe it’s a play for Florida votes that didn’t work IDN

Newt as bold and quick witted Newt ,even with all his nasty baggage, could walk away with this if he took a basic time tested conservative message and stuck to it. Right now he seems like a man playing around with an election.

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Basilsbest on January 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I heard leadership from Gingrich on Hannity. With Squint Romney I hear Wuss.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I’m supporting the non-statists. Are there any of those left?

besser tot als rot on January 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

weird, we are echoing each other. When we do battle over Romney vs Santorum things will be different.

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I suspect that most of the arguments on this forum are over pretty small things (even if it doesn’t seem that way at the time). I think that most of us are on the same team. :)

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

antisense on January 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

a narcissistic, magalomaniac, divisive aspie though :-)

jimver on January 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

playing around with an election.

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I think Gingrich was pushed into electioneering by the Romney machine. Electioneering is all Squint Romney knows in that it is all he has done for the last six years. Given the choice, Gingrich would probably rather discuss contemporary issues and what to do about the problems.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

IDN was supposed to be IDK. no Know

He loves the politics also. There’s some vain gloriousness to Newt that goes beyond talking about fixing real problems. Also, Newt is always talking up some grand fix. Why not just do the good old “let’s get government out of the way” talk.

I’m already compromising a lot by backing Santorum.

Newt’s not even bringing the less government argument.

OK, must sleep. Thanks for the conversation kenny and ghostwriter.

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

G’night, boxhead.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Who ran Democrats out of power for the first time in forty years? Newt.

How’s the rest of the GOP done since 95?

Rovin

They picked up even more seats in 2010 than was picked up then under Newt.

55 ACU rating in MA is like an 85 anywhere else.

ghostwriter

Planned Parenthood Doctor: I’m really anti-abortion, I just kill babies because I work for Planned Parenthood.

Nice try.

The point is that it’s kind of tough to be a right-winger in a state like MA.

ghostwriter

Which begs the question: Why would a right-winger want to govern in a state like MA if they have to govern as a lib? Answer: They wouldn’t. That is the point.

xblade on January 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

The thing is Gingrich only threw the moon colony idea out in passing, not as main menu. The media picked up on it to show Gingrich to be “spaced out” mentally and erratic. The MSM and Democrats are more afraid of Gingrich than they are Romney. Goofball Obama wants Romney because he is a perfect target for ‘Fat Cat” demonization.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Nice try.

???

xblade on January 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Ummm… That is a very strange take on it. I suspect that the reason that Romney governed a liberal state might just have something to do with the fact that they lived in the liberal state?

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Sachiko

Only if you actually know what they’ve said IS a lie. See, that’s the advantage in being a liar. They can say pretty much anything. There’s no way any one person can know everything well enough to rebut any and every potential lie someone can come up with.

xblade on January 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM

As far as I’m concerned I won’t answer media questions unless they build a moon base for him to host interviews at….
MOON that spells newt…

Bradky on January 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM

He could have carpetbagged like Hillary. He probably has a house in nearly every state. Just live there for a year. He lived in Mass because he was among his own kind.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

It was an unforced error on Gingrich’s part. I’m pretty sure that Newt doesn’t scare anybody; he couldn’t win an election outside of a narrow electorate.

The only interest that the MSM has in this primary is keeping the fracas going as long as possible. Didn’t you see the last debate? Blitzer spent the better part of the night instigating between Romney and Gingrich on personal crap. The libs are just having a grand old time, right now, watching the food fight and fantasizing about the potential Republican circular firing squad. Little do they know, that Gingrich is doing a beautiful job of toughening up Romney for the general.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Or it could be that he just settled where he went to school and had developed business contacts. It’s not exactly unheard of for somebody to settle where they went to school.

Still, I guess using your reasoning, Reagan was a crypto-closet lib. Who knew?

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Gingrich is doing a beautiful job of toughening up Romney for the general.

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Ok If we must have Romney, at least we should try to make a man out of him.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I have made Helen Reddy’s “I Am Woman” Newt Gingrich’s personal anthem.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Heh. Maybe we could make a “Newt mix” album that includes “Sympathy For The Devil”, “Rocket Man”, “Space Oddity”, “Dark Side Of The Moon”, “The Wanderer”, and “You’re So Vain”.

Ron Paul? “I Want To Ride My Bicycle”.

captn2fat on January 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Still, I guess using your reasoning, Reagan was a crypto-closet lib. Who knew?

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Reagan did stay on an isolated ranch most of the time.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Ok Ghostwriter, good discussion. I’m an old man and must go now.

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Newt da Vinci?
Leroy must be short for Leonardo, then. Who knew?

captn2fat on January 30, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Methinks Newt wants Sarah Palinsky to be one of the moderators. Hopefully she’ll figure out how to apply lip gloss before her big debut.

Sorry – can’t resist the snark, but even my husband was asking what the hell was the matter with her upper lip tonight when she appeared on Hannity. Maybe she had a cold and it was Vicks Vaporub?

Buy Danish on January 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM

good night, kenny

ghostwriter on January 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Lincoln refused to debate if anyone was shelling peanuts in the audience.

It’s true!

profitsbeard on January 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Peanut shells might cause him to slip if he needed to whack any vampires. Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

Kevin71 on January 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM

It actually makes sense. You know that Obama would not give Gingrich all the debates he wants. You also know that Obama will have to agree to at least a couple. Logically, then, Gingrich’s best shot is to try to keep the playing field level and make the debates count for as much as he can, since there won’t be many of them.

Whether he can pull it off is another question, but it makes sense for him to try.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 31, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Here’s what Club for Growth had to say about Romney:

While it is true that Governor Romney did not impose any broad-based tax hikes despite pressure from liberal special interests and an inherited budget deficit, he imposed a slew of fee hikes and tax “loophole” closures, together with spending cuts, in order to eliminate the budget gap…

That said, Governor Romney’s single term contained some solid efforts to promote pro-growth tax policy. In May of 2004, Mitt Romney proposed cutting the state’s income tax rate from 5.3% to 5.0%—a measure Massachusetts voters had approved in a 2000 referendum, but was blocked by the State Legislature in 2002. The proposed tax cut would have provided $675 million in relief over a year and a half. When the Massachusetts Legislature refused to budge, Romney proposed the same tax cut in 2005 and again in 2006 with no success. Romney was more successful when he took on the State Legislature for imposing a retroactive tax on capital gains earnings. After a bloody fight, Romney succeeded in passing a bill preventing the capital gains tax from being applied retroactively, resulting in a rebate of $275 million for capital gains taxes collected in 2002. Governor Romney also signed legislation that provided property tax relief to seniors in 2005, along with a gimmicky two-day sales tax-free shopping holiday…

Governor Romney receives credit for reducing actual spending unilaterally in Fiscal Year FY2003, even though he entered office halfway into the fiscal year, because of the tremendous spending cuts he forced down the Legislature’s throat in January of 2003. Facing a $650 million deficit he inherited from the previous administration, Romney convinced the unfriendly State Legislature to grant him unilateral power to make budget cuts and unveiled $343 million in cuts to cities, healthcare, and state agencies. This fiscal discipline continued in 2004, in which Romney continued to slash “nearly every part of state government” to close a $3 billion deficit…

As governor, Romney pushed for important changes to Massachusetts expansive welfare system. Although federal welfare reform passed in 1995, Massachusetts was woefully behind, relying on a waiver to bypass many of the legislation’s important requirements. Romney fought for legislation that would bring Massachusetts’ welfare system up to date with federal standards by increasing the number of hours each week recipients must work and establishing a five-year limit for receiving benefits. Much to his credit and to the dismay of many Massachusetts liberals, Romney successfully forced Medicaid recipients to make co-payments for some services and successfully pushed for legislative action forcing new state workers to contribute 25% of their health insurance costs, up from 15%. Governor Romney also deserves praise for proposing to revolutionize the Massachusetts state pension system by moving it from a defined benefit system to a defined contribution system.

The major blemish on his record as a conservative is, of course, Romneycare.

writeblock on January 31, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Gingrich: I won’t debate Obama if the moderators are reporters

No worries Newt. Nobody is going to ask you because you will be irrelevant by then.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 7:55 AM

It’ll never get to a debate with Obama. Watch for the left to pull a fast one just before elections knowing that Obama is dust and they will loose their power in the White House. Something as crazy as Obama retiring for some health related cause and Biden stepping in and I wouldn’t over look Clinton either as taking the VP. The left is desperate and a sacrificial lamb might be ordered.

mixplix on January 31, 2012 at 7:57 AM

mixplix on January 31, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Biden as POTUS is even more scary than the jug-eared coward that currently holds the job.

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2012 at 8:01 AM

He’s right about the first part anyway.

NoDonkey on January 31, 2012 at 9:02 AM

antisense on January 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

An interesting proposition, but almost certainly a misdiagnosis. Nonetheless, there can be little doubt that the Dunning-Kruger effect is applicable to Mr. Gingrich.

JackieB on January 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I have come to a different conclusion on the ‘debates’.

1) There should be NO audience participitation. Every candidate is now attempting to stack the audience. In fact, it is unclear to me why there would be any audience at all.

2) Each candidate should be able to bring their own moderator.

3) The number of questions should be equally divided among the moderators. While a candidate will know what his moderator is doing they will not know what questions the other moderator(s) will ask.

4) Total time for each candidate, should be equally divided.

These changes would allow the candidates to present their positions, or attack an opponent, as they and their moderators decide.

Freddy on January 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM

kenny on January 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Shouldn’t that be the space ship of state?

captn2fat on January 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM