Gingrich: Hey, let’s have a character debate

posted at 12:45 pm on January 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Gee, I don’t know. Does this sound like a good idea?

Following an onslaught of attacks in last week’s debates and on the Florida airwaves, Newt Gingrich amped up his criticism of frontrunner Mitt Romney this morning, aiming his arrows directly at Romney’s character and calling him “fundamentally dishonest.”

“I am saying that he would not be where he is today, the debates this week wouldn’t have been where they were, if he had told the truth,” Gingrich told me this morning on “This Week.” “And I think that’s a very serious problem for somebody.”

Gingrich said Romney has run a “campaign of vilification” that is based on “factually false” claims and “carpet-bombing with negative ads.” When I asked the former speaker if Romney had the character to be president, Gingrich said “it is a very serious problem.”

“You cannot be president of the United States if you cannot be honest and candid with the American people,” Gingrich told me.

Let’s stipulate that Romney probably did worse in the fact-check department in the last debate than Gingrich did, although that would have been the only area in which Gingrich prevailed.  Even that’s a matter of, er, debate, as Gingrich had some trouble telling the truth about his history on the individual mandate, with USA Today providing a reference from just this past May of Gingrich backing a mandate for either coverage or a very large bond as a means to reform health care.  Gingrich is right that Romney didn’t tell the whole truth about his only Fannie/Freddie investments coming in a blind trust — some of them came in a fund in which  Romney invested outside of the blind trust — but then again, as Romney pointed out, Gingrich himself had similar investments in the GSEs, which imploded Gingrich’s attack in the debate and his momentum as well.

As far as “carpet-bombing” his opponents, it’s hard to see Gingrich’s point.  The purpose of a primary is in part to see which candidate would do the best in a general election.  The fact that Romney can out-slug Gingrich doesn’t make a case for supporting Gingrich, especially when Gingrich and his allies have conducted the same kind of attacks on Romney vis-a-vis Bain Capital.  This sounds less like the cry of the truly aggrieved than it does like a complaint from someone who finds out that his opponent plays the game better than he does.

Mostly, though, it seems unwise for Gingrich to play the character card.  Throughout his campaign, the subtext of Gingrich’s pitch is that his personal baggage — all of which redounds to character — is irrelevant in a campaign where ideology and fighting temperament matter most.  As the Rasmussen polls showed the last couple of weeks, Gingrich scores very low on the character questions even among the Republican base. Even in a poll where Gingrich led nationally, he came in dead last in the current roster of four contenders for the Republican nomination on character — even below “Not Sure.”  His evasive answers on his work for Freddie Mac, insisting to this day that he earned $1.6 million as a historian, don’t lend themselves to bolstering his standing on honesty and character, either, even apart from the massive issues in his personal life.

If Gingrich wants to regain the momentum, he’d better start talking ideology rather than engaging in character debates.

George Will tells Jake Tapper that the problem here is that Gingrich has been given enough time to hang himself, and has begun to do so.  Click the image to watch.

Update: Bruce McQuain scoffs at “Newt the Victim,” and warns: “As was obvious Gingrich is as thin-skinned as Obama and if he thinks the Romney attacks (along with those by the Democrats) are tough now, he ain’t seen nuttin’ sport.  This is just a warm up.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Yes, the views you expressed constitute religious bigotry. As it happens, I grew up in an area with a large Mormon community and went to school with lots of Mormon kids–and count one of those kids as one of my closest, lifelong adult friends. Every Mormon I’ve known personally and had as a friend has been decent, honest, and kind.

I can’t speak to the particular tenets of the Mormon faith. Haven’t read their book and only know the bare-bones of their history. Do know Romney is–in all probability–a better man than you’ll ever hope to be.

troyriser_gopftw on January 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

If you have lot of LDS friends and they’ve been kind wonderful poeple but you don’t know much about their religion, I suggest you learn more about their faith and read their book.

I’m not asking you convert, I’m just asking you to get to know your friends better by learning about their faith.

I’ve done it with people not of my faith by reading material that they’ve given me and having an honest discussion about it. I don’t agree with them theologically, but it makes me appreciate and respect my friends and their faith a lot more.

Conservative Samizdat on January 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

The South won’t put up with Romney’s nonsense. The “Mormonism is a cult” line will be emailed and facebooked all across the South to no end. You can’t get conservatives to act civil about religion and then expect to lie about Newt. THE GLOVES WILL COME OFF

conservador on January 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Midnight SurveyUSA poll:

SurveyUSA’s final numbers show Romney 15 points atop Gingrich, 41% to 26%.

Romney is ahead in every region of the state. Gingrich draws to within single digits among Evangelicals, pro-life voters, Tea Party voters, and younger voters, but Romney overwhelms with a 25-point advantage among the affluent, a 20-point advantage among the college educated, a 20-point advantage among women, and a 19-point advantage among voters age 50+. There is effectively no difference between those who have already voted and those who have not yet voted, so a late Gingrich surge is not anticipated.

haner on January 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I suggest you learn more about their faith and read their book.

Conservative Samizdat on January 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Is this book in reformed Egyptian hieroglyphics?

tom daschle concerned on January 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

conservador on January 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

WOW! The Mormonism cult emails are a-flying all about the southern interwebs and facebooks so I’ve heard and frankly, it’s given me tha vapors. I’m gonna have a mint julep on my stoop and consider this new phenomenom! Conservador, don’t speak on behalf of your land. Some have moved past the southern Civil War mentality. If you drive the General Lee in St. Louis, you will be (least to say) frowned upon.

leftophobe on January 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Conservative Samizdat on January 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

The problem with that approach is that Mormons want you to convert, and are not motivated to share with you the more “extreme” of their doctrines up front. Mormon missionaries are always encouraging Christians to have “Bible studies” that are really more about introducing their own doctrines so gradually that you never really see the contrasts between the Mormon faith and Christianity. For instance, these “Bible studies” will avoid a discussion of Jesus and Lucifer being spirit brothers, because it turns off Christians from accepting Mormonism as a Christian religion.

If you actually want to know the Mormon faith from a Christian viewpoint, you’re going to have to listen to the critics of the Mormon faith as well as the Mormon evangelizers.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I suppose it would be better if Mitt wanted everyone to get into capsules, fly to the moon, live in capsules and worship the Moon World of AstroNewt versus understanding a man loving his God, his country, his wife and his family. This is a non-debate. He’s a Mormon not a MUSLIM!!!!

leftophobe on January 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I have never understood that complaint. I believe in God but do not study the bible. But it doesn’t seem to far a stretch that since God created all things, and Satan is a male (I haven’t heard otherwise), why isn’t Satan considered a brother?

And I do not think it wise to learn any faith from those who are critical of it. I certainly would not ask a Marxist to explain representative democracy to me.

csdeven on January 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Mostly, though, it seems unwise for Gingrich to play the character card.

It would be unwise for most people to play the character card. It just invites retaliation.

The worst case for character in Gingrich is in his past affairs, and being on his third wife. But Romney looks bad for his inconsistency in running as a progressive in Massachusetts, as a conservative in 2008, and as a moderate in 2012. Since in each case he was claiming to be exactly what he thought would be electable, he looks completely untrustworthy.

The Romney supporters will of course scream about ethics charges and Gingrich having to resign as Speaker, but that’s based on politically-motivated charges that were all bogus, and eventually dropped.

A character debate doesn’t really help Romney that much. At the end of the day, people may realize that their fears about Gingrich’s character were mostly based on false information.

And you know who that doesn’t help…..

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM

From a Christian viewpoint? You mean when Mormons ask you to pray to God, the Eternal Father in the Name of His Son and Savior Jesus Christ that you will be filled with the Holy Spirit?

Or is it the part about the first Principles and Ordinances of the Gospel are: Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Pal2Pal on January 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Hell yeah! IF i was to drive the General Lee with a banner on it saying “Mitt is a Mormon” that would really get the primary voters attention. BUT wait until the lamestream media gets a hold of Mittens and his church being a racist cult. Those guys will put me to shame in the attack department. Wait untl the media puppets read from Bringham Young and Joseph Smiths writings about negroes being inferior beings and having the mark of Cain. The South will be the enforcer to keep Mitt from reaching this point. Pedigree matters.

Meanwhile Newt difuses any race card attack while actually upholding conservative principles. I dig that

The machine is stirring up a hornets nest

conservador on January 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I cannot believe the lies and half-truths that most of the commenters here are promoting, so let’s talk facts for a minute:

Good start.

1. Romney is far more conservative than Newt Gingrich. He believes in smaller government, lower taxes, less (or more sensible) regulation, and most of all liberty. He campaigns on these themes constantly and he lives this way as well.

Pal2Pal on January 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM

You couldn’t get out one fact before lying? Gingrich has done far more for conservatives than Romney, who has always been a moderate. While Gingrich was promoting conservatism, Romney was running away from it. Gingrich gave us welfare reform, a balanced budget, and a Republican takeover of Congress. Romney gave us Romneycare.

Then again, if you’re going to defend Romneycare as conservative, then it’s obvious you don’t know the meaning of the word.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Mike Reagan: Headed to florida to be with Gingrich on monday and tuesday.

INC on January 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

The only reason the LDS church might seem weird is because it is based on the early church of Jesus, who was a Jew, whereas all others, are built from the Council of Nicea pronouncements 300 and 400 years after the death of Christ.

Pal2Pal on January 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM

This is sometimes claimed by Mormons, but there’s no historical evidence for the claim.

Talking about the Council of Nicea is misdirection, since the Council of Nicea just affirmed the common doctrine of the churches. Like most of the early church councils, it was an attempt to confront and reject heretical teaching.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Not another “Mormonism is a cult” tangent

haner on January 30, 2012 at 2:40 AM

csdeven on January 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

That’s because in Mormon theology, Jesus has no more claim to being God than any of his spirit brothers.

And that is exactly why it’s offensive to Christians to call Lucifer a “spirit brother” of Jesus. Because in Christian doctrine, Jesus is not another God, but God the Son, the second member of the Trinity.

And in a larger sense, it reveals why Mormonism is not a Christian religion. They have rejected the teaching of the Trinity, and changed Satan from a created being less than Jesus to someone fully equal in origin with Jesus.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

It’s all equally silly.

Go RBNY on January 30, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Pal2Pal on January 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Every cult uses familiar words for doctrines that have a totally different meaning in the cult.

The Eternal Father that the Mormons worship was once as human as you or I, so it’s not exactly the same as the Eternal Father worshipped by Christians, who believe God always was and always will be, unchangeable.

The Son and Savior, Jesus Christ, that the Mormons worship was a spirit brother to Lucifer, who became our Savior only because he was the author of the plan of salvation, while Lucifer’s plan was rejected. Not exactly the same as the Christian belief that Jesus existed before He was born as a human of a virgin, that He created the universe and everything in it, and that all things exist by the word of His power.

And Christians believe the Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Trinity. Which is really odd, because Mormons believe that God the Father and God the Son are both physical, corporeal beings. So do they believe that the Holy Spirit is actually the Holy Body?

Using the same words for your doctrines doesn’t make them the same doctrines. If I say, “I believe in Jesus” and you say, “I believe in Jesus,” but one of us believes Jesus was an angel and the other believes Jesus was God, then we don’t have the same faith, even though we occasionally say the same words.

So no, using the same words is not in any sense proof of holding the same beliefs.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I live in Calif. so what do I care what the people or the Legislature of MA do as far as their own health care insurance? Romney did everything he could to keep the bad provisions out of the bill, but with 85% dems in the legislature, it was not an easy task when all his vetoes were overridden.

I’m a Republican American who believes in Republican American values, I have no idea what conservatives believe in other than the word itself.

I know that I do not want a serial adulterer and philanderer who shows no sign of having respect for women and who bloviates all the time as my President. I know that I don’t want a man who goes around bragging about his ties to Reagan and how important that is, but then when asked, says that his favorite president was the socialist FDR. Of course, FDR was an adulterer too, so birds of a feather, and all that. And I don’t want a man who is just as likely to knife you in the back to advance his own agenda as not. And I don’t want a man to dumb to understand what equity capital investment is as my president. And I know that I don’t want a man who thinks establishing a moonbase that will cost billions is a good thing when we are $16 trillion in debt. Shall I go on?

Pal2Pal on January 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Not another “Mormonism is a cult” tangent

haner on January 30, 2012 at 2:40 AM

There’s a very big difference between rejecting someone’s faith, and rejecting that person. I don’t care for Catholic doctrine in many cases, but Rick Santorum seems to be a good man, and would be my preference over both Gingrich and Romney. I wouldn’t reject him just because he’s Catholic. I also like Clarence Thomas, who is also Catholic. I’m sure I could go on about others, but I don’t really track who’s Catholic that much.

Mitt Romney is Mormon, but that has nothing to do with my rejection of him. I reject him because he’s a typical moderate politician who would never let his convictions come between him and winning in politics. Which is also why I find it hilarious that he rarely wins in politics.

Let’s face it, if you’re willing to switch to pro-abortion to help you get elected, then switch back to being pro-life so you can run for a different office, then your convictions don’t matter a whole lot to you.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Pal2Pal on January 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Okay, to cut through the emotionalism here what has Romney done that has been conservative?

Convince me that Romney’s conservative rather than that Gingrich is a moral failure.

kim roy on January 30, 2012 at 3:16 AM

He’s running for president of the United States now, so what he did in Massachusetts is relevant.

He seems pretty proud of Romneycare as it is, so he owns it. He doesn’t get to simultaneously brag about it while saying that he had no choice but to sign it.

Pal2Pal on January 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

So instead you want a shifty politician whose convictions are determined by what will get him elected. Except when it doesn’t.

Romney can’t brag about his ties to Reagan. He spent too much time distancing himself from Reagan.

Reagan, by the way, thought FDR was a pretty good president. Can’t say I agree with that, but I guess no one’s perfect.

Of course, it was Calvin Coolidge whose picture was posted in a place of honor in the Reagan White House, so maybe admiring some aspects of FDR is not the same as worshiping the man.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM

basically, Mitt is a criminal

people supporting Romney want Obama 4 more years

Romney will never be president….his scandals are just beginning

georgealbert on January 30, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Yeah, awesome. Newt, a philandering cheater with his former mistress at his side are going to try to debate character with a squeaky clean Boy Scout like Romney.

Good luck.

scotash on January 30, 2012 at 3:29 AM

basically, Mitt is a criminal

georgealbert on January 30, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Desperate much?

V7_Sport on January 30, 2012 at 3:49 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM:

This is all becoming very boring. Total myths and bigotry about the LDS church. Lies about Mitt Romney. Cheering for a complete cad and pig.

Get over it. Mitt is going to win. He will send Obama packing in a land slide.

I wonder what you were doing in 1979-1980 when Reagan was running for President? We were an active duty military family, retiring after 30, in 1984. We had lived under Reagan as Governor and he was barely a blip in our awareness. We voted, but he was still barely a blip. However, we did get to meet with Reagan twice, once when he presented an award to my husband (1983), and once where I was his escort at a fundraiser for VP Bush when he was running to succeed Reagan and Reagan was giving the keynote speech (1988).

From Wiki, what Romney was doing:

With a record of helping clients such as the Monsanto Company, Outboard Marine Corporation, Burlington Industries, and Corning Incorporated, Romney became a vice president of the firm (Bain) in 1978 and within a few years one of its best consultants and one sought after by clients over more senior partners.[16][46][50][57] Romney became a believer in Bain’s methods; he later said, “The idea that consultancies should not measure themselves by the thickness of their reports, or even the elegance of their writing, but rather by whether or not the report was effectively implemented was an inflection point in the history of consulting.”[54]

Romney was restless for a company of his own to run, and in 1983, Bill Bain offered him the chance to head a new venture (Bain Capital)…

5 Young active boys at home, incredibly busy at work, just like the majority of families in the US, politics wasn’t much on his mind. We did our part and voted, Romney did his part and voted for Reagan too. Even today, the polls say that the majority polled, over 50%, cannot name a single candidate nor identify pictures, even of Biden, nor the Repubs. All we knew was that Carter was destroying the country and our military, that interest rates were in the 18-19% range and we had to get him out of office. Sound familiar? All this purity stuff was not an issue, after all Reagan had been a democrat most of his life, so I’m sure at one time he thought highly of FDR. The issue was faith in America and pride in her people. Reagan was looked at as a B-list actor who gave away the store in Calif, not very bright, yada yada yada. He certainly was not the Saint in the eyes of the electorate that he has become over time. He just wasn’t Carter and that’s all that counted.

I’m outta here. Waste you vote on a loser if you must.

Pal2Pal on January 30, 2012 at 4:04 AM

its ironic, right, Hot Air was founded by Michelle Malkin as part of her fight against the culture of corruption,

but now with it naked shilling for the Wall Street bailout boy Romney, Hot Air has become part of the culture of corruption…. well MM got paid….I guess that is all that matters

georgealbert on January 30, 2012 at 5:43 AM

kim roy on January 30, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Prepare for crickets…

Or get the usual business, Olympics, family man routine…it is unbelievable what the note say over and over without addressing the issue.

tom daschle concerned on January 30, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Probably not a good idea for Newt, however, Romney’s latest ad on Newt’s ethics charges is a complete lie and distortion. That ad really nailed it for me. I can’t stand Romney.

The CNN video, (thank God it’s out there) completely clears Newt. The Romney campaign had to have known this and it just disgusts me.

Romney has “smooth and polish” down to an art.

For the life of me, I just do not know why some conservatives are so enthusiastic about this RINO.
It’s like some people are on a narcotic or something. What they heck as Romney done that deserves any praise from conservatives? Just what?

JellyToast on January 30, 2012 at 6:44 AM

csdeven on January 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Wow! That’s some pretty impressive ignorance, cdeven.

Would you ask a Maxist to explain communism to you and expect to be told the truth?

You have disqualified yourself from being considered a thinking person, except among Mitt-wits.

WhatNot on January 30, 2012 at 7:30 AM

basically, Mitt is a criminal

people supporting Romney want Obama 4 more years

Romney will never be president….his scandals are just beginning

georgealbert on January 30, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Newt should get out and endorse Rick.

Philly on January 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Philly’s a big Romney SuperFan.

People are going to hear Romney supporters fake like they are Santy supporters, b/c they do know that a support for Santorum at this point is a vote for Romney.

Dr. Tesla on January 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Nope.

Philly on January 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Well it is a cult. Mostly benign aside from the multiple wives thing which they claim they don’t do but they do. And the child bride thing. And the rest of it.

The Republican establishment is desperately trying to tell you otherwise of course, because their chosen man’s only real flaw (in their eyes) is his cult.

CorporatePiggy on January 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM

A character debate would be the political equivalent of “Bum Fights”.

Very wrong, but compelling.

CorporatePiggy on January 30, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Well, not so fast, Mitt does have Tom Brokaw on his side…Mitt is incredible, in a different way.
Somewhere in his past he was well schooled on how to be deceptive, how to say one thing, but mean another…he is very skilled at that technique.

right2bright on January 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

csdeven on January 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

You don’t study the Bible and you say you don’t understand?????? I wonder why?

Satan was a created being, Jesus Christ is God and not a created being.

Exo 3:14, And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
And Jesus Said ” Joh 10:30, I and my Father are one. “

Shain1611 on January 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Mormons believe there is no hell.

Mormons believe in different “levels” of heaven.

Mormons believe that they will become “gods” someday–on par with God himself.

Mormons believe the Catholic Church is of the devil and is being run by Satan himself.

Mitt Romney is a Mormon. He believes all this.

‘Nuff said.

jfs756 on January 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Here is what I find so very sad, indeed. All of this bickering and vitriol that HA seems to be full of regarding the differences between Newt and Mitt is exactly what the enemy wants our side to be doing.

And here you are, handing it over on a silver platter. Suckers.

Fact is, both of those candidates are riddled with so much garbage and baggage that either one will be shredded if he becomes the nominee.

Hey, I know, let’s surprise them all and choose the unexpected, truly conservative man up there, Rick Santorum. Let’s make him our Reagan this time and actually throw the left for a loop…we’re supposed to be in this together, folks, remember?

But I digress. Apparently y’all are much happier tearing each other apart while our beautiful country continues to be dismantled before our very eyes.

soulmate on January 30, 2012 at 9:08 AM

eyes.

soulmate on January 30, 2012 at 9:08 AM

And Obama is such a wonderful great President. This fight for the white house is not about family valuse its about saving our Country from total destruction from Socialist Marxist like Obama and the Democrat party.

Shain1611 on January 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Shain1611 on January 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Yeah, I got that part. I totally agree about saving the country from a Socialist Marxist president who thinks we should all suffer and pay the price for being so great.

My point is, this divisiveness that is so incredibly prevalent here is handing more votes to Obama than any one of us would like to admit. I’m not supporting Santorum just because of his family values, either. He happens to have a lot of great ideas and experience fighting on Capitol Hill but hardly ever gets to speak during debates because the Establishment has already chosen the two front-runners for us. Why can’t more people see that?

soulmate on January 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Satan was a created being, Jesus Christ is God and not a created being.

And Jesus Said ”

Joh 10:30, I and my Father are one. “

Shain1611 on January 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Those scriptures do nothing to convince me.

1) How does God send himself?

2) The Father and the Son are one in purpose.

God gave us a mind to use. But the way you expect me to read those scriptures is completely confusing. It is confusing and God does not teach confusion.

Another person mentioned “trinity”. I looked up “Trinity”. There is no mention of the word in the bible. Not one single instance. I cannot accept a teaching that is made up by a man to justify an erroneous interpretation of the scriptures.

csdeven on January 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Capt’n Ed, You me until …

“As far as “carpet-bombing” his opponents, it’s hard to see Gingrich’s point. The purpose of a primary is in part to see which candidate would do the best in a general election. The fact that Romney can out-slug Gingrich doesn’t make a case for supporting Gingrich, especially when Gingrich and his allies have conducted the same kind of attacks on Romney vis-a-vis Bain Capital. This sounds less like the cry of the truly aggrieved than it does like a complaint from someone who finds out that his opponent plays the game better than he does.” – Ed

Follow the money, Ed, follow the money.
No, no grand conspiracy theories either, but the raw truth. Romney (and McCain to a lesser degree) is the perfect example of how money drives politics; ergo drives the government. It’s maddening that candidates like Rick Perry (i’m a fan), Herman Cain (not so much), et alia, are excluded from competing if they don’t have the funds to finance a near decade-long run for the Presidency. The job doesn’t pay much, but I hear the perks are great. (sigh)
Aside from ego, who is the best suited to be the “leader of the free world”? The guy with the most money?
Ahhhhh yes … That brings to mind Mad Vlad Putín.
(among many, many others)

So much money in the game raises the stakes beyond which most Americans cannot, or will not, understand and respond accordingly.
‘Tis indeed a maddening conundrum to this “paleocon”.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Here’s the thing. On character, Romney is too rich to be bought and his religion is really big on truth. Gingrich contninues to get caught in do-what-I-say-not-what-I-do moments. Such as criticizing Romney for investment make up that were also included in his portfolio, while trying to deflect attention from $1.6 million that Freddie/Fannie paid to Newt for his advice. What was Newt’s advice, anyway?

They didn’t hire Bain! If they had, maybe the mess would have been avoided, as I’d guess Bain would have told them that lending money to folks that are probably not going to be able to repay the loan might not be the best business practice?

EconomicNeocon on January 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

character debate? newt is not much better than romney in that regards

fwm299 on January 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’m gonna have a mint julep on my stoop and consider this new phenomenom!

(snip)

leftophobe on January 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Sorry, not if Mormons had their way.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Not very damn much. Mitt Romney’s record is filled with gun bans, appointments of liberal judges, profligate spending, implementation of socialized health care, and belief in the global warming fraud.

What a real conservative sees in him is beyond me. He’s not even the best “syphilitic camel” in the room to pick from.

Yet “somehow” we are left with the “choice” of Mitt and Newt.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say the republicans establishment is TRYING to loose the 1212 election…

Why I wonder?

SilverDeth on January 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM

A character debate? Ok Newt, you can be Elmer Fudd, Ron Paul can be Daffy Duck.

jake49 on January 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM

jfs756 on January 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Hokey smokes Bullwinkle

gerrym51 on January 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Mormons believe there is no hell.
jfs756 on January 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

False Mormons do believe in a hell. We just call it outer darkness which is reserved for those who have seen God and denied him or deny the holy spirit.

Mormons believe in different “levels” of heaven.
jfs756 on January 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

True. These levels are known as Kingdoms or more accurately, the three degrees of glory.

Mormons believe that they will become “gods” someday–on par with God himself.
jfs756 on January 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

False. Not all Mormons will become Gods. All those who do becomes gods are subordinate to God.

And by the way, the idea that humans can become gods is a Christian concept.

jfs756 on January 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

False. This is was false doctrine espoused by Bruce R. McConkie in his book Mormon Doctrine. This teaching was NOT approved by the Church and they publicly stated that it was false doctrine. Moreover, Bruce R. McConkie was privately rebuked for teaching this doctrine. I personally believe he should have been publicly rebuked for it.

Unfortunately, the LDS Church continued to allow the publication of Mormon Doctrine which allowed the idea to be circulated among LDS people.

Conservative Samizdat on January 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Conservative Samizdat on January 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I forgot to add that the LDS Church about a year ago, for good reasons, discontinued the printing and publishing of Bruce R. McConkie’s Mormon Doctrine.

Conservative Samizdat on January 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM

By all means, let have a Character Debate between a serial adulterer and a guy wearing magic undies….

/eyeroll