Video: Guy who’s been campaigning for president since 2004 suddenly against “perpetual political campaigns”

posted at 5:10 pm on January 28, 2012 by Allahpundit

In which The One displays his enormous balls by daring to criticize anyone else for perpetual campaigning. (And yes, I realize that he’s used this line before, which only makes it funnier.) This is a guy who, immediately after he was elected to the Senate in November 2004, gave this answer when asked whether he was thinking of higher office:

You know, I am a believer in knowing what you’re doing when you apply for a job. And I think that if I were to seriously consider running on a national ticket, I would essentially have to start now, before having served a day in the Senate. Now, there are some people who might be comfortable doing that, but I’m not one of those people.

Turns out he was one of those people. He spent the next two years building cred with the left by filibustering judges whom he admitted were qualified and voting present on Senate resolutions to chastise MoveOn.org for smearing his future CIA director. He declared his candidacy in early 2007, spent a year and a half running for president, and then studiously ignored his campaign promises to tackle the greatest fiscal challenge of our age because it would have been too darned risky for his reelection bid. Instead he pushed cheap, inconsequential budget gimmicks to set up a class-warfare campaign this year against the GOP and unconstitutional recess appointments in hopes of baiting the “do-nothing Congress” he wants to run against into being even more confrontational. (He spends several paragraphs of the speech you’re about to watch whining about Mike Lee’s vow to block all of his nominees in protest of the illegal Cordray appointment.) It’s all electoral maneuvering. It’s all about the campaign. Always.

Here’s the weekly lecture followed by Marco Rubio’s response.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

O’Bummer appears to be very close to a complete mental breakdown.

Moose Drool on January 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Who knew he had a mind to lose?

squint on January 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I wish AP wouldn’t put pics of Obama up on threads.

A close-up of a pus-filled, infected, inflamed and slightly bleeding canker sore in the toothless mouth of a homeless wino would be much more inviting, IMHO.

Horace on January 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

How brain damaged must one be to buy this guy’s bullsh!t? mighty I say…darn mighty.

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I hope he breaks on national tv and it goes viral.

Of course, Sheriff Joe is waiting in the wings…

ChuckTX on January 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

None can beat the Hypocrite-in-Chief. All Hail, The Obamassiah!

GarandFan on January 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Schadenfreude on January 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Liar, you still don’t know!

Schadenfreude on January 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

O’Bummer appears to be very close to a complete mental breakdown.

Moose Drool on January 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Who knew he had a mind to lose?

squint on January 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Well, yeah, I was making an assumption. I’ll never make THAT mistake again. Heh.

Moose Drool on January 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

He spends several paragraphs of the speech you’re about to watch

Now that’s funny right there. Why in the world would I watch a video of the narcissist in chief? I’ve seen and heard enough of him in the last 4 years to last a lifetime. To borrow from Three Dog Night, “… whatever it is, I don’t wanna see no more”.

AZfederalist on January 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Don’t you just want to grap those ears AND….!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

If you don’t know by now that Obowma and the Left will always accuse their enemies of exactly doing what they are engaged in…

… then there is no hope for you.

Seven Percent Solution on January 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

It’s all electoral maneuvering. It’s all about the campaign. Always.

nuff said

truly despise him

cmsinaz on January 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

yes, some of my closest friends who I always considered to be brilliant people, I have discovered in the last 4 years are dain bramaged. It’s hard to comprehend their absolute willful ignorance.

CycloneCDB on January 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

You mean to tell me he’s been President?
I thought he was like that other guy, who’s been running forever to be President!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Oh, my God, the hypocrisy is breathtaking.

Democrats genuinely believe that voters have no memory at all. “Up or down vote” would have been nice about 8 years ago, wouldn’t it? And how did the Democrats feel about it then?

F*** them. Sauce for the goose and all that.

philwynk on January 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

If the horribly unthinkable were to happen and Obellyachere were to be re-elected, what would he do for those four years? There’s no higher office, so what would he have to campaign for–his permanent installation as Prezuhdunce of the United States?

stukinIL4now on January 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I was just listening to a radio talk show host analyzing Obama’s speech and then answered a liberal caller right after the analysis. The host asked him what Obama has done to deserve another term. Of course, the liberal couldn’t name one thing, just that it wasn’t Romney or Gingrich. Thisis the kind of thing that really ticks me off – people voting because of the (D) next to the name and because they are liberals.

Decoski on January 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I would suggest that those who find it impossible to vote for WHOEVER is the ultimate candidate please exercise your writein privilege.

And vote straight party down ticket. If we are victorious, an unassailable majority in the House and Senate is mandatory. Without that, any effort to change will fail.

irongrampa on January 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

stukinIL4now on January 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

prezidente of the first lunar colony :-)…heck, I’d vote for him :)…

jimver on January 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

And the Republican establishment is trying to convince us we need Mitt Romney to beat this guy? This guy is so beatable that, not even his press corps (or is that corpse) can save him this time.

bflat879 on January 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

stukinIL4now on January 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Well, first of all you’re talking about the POTUS who urged Hispanic voters to use the ’10 election to “punish your enemies”. Meaning his enemies, of course.

I’m rereading Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ’72 by Hunter S. Thompson right now. In it, Thompson was forecasting trouble if Nixon were re-elected, as follows;

It is a nervous thing to consider: Not just four more years of Nixon, but Nixon’s last four years in politics—completely unshackled, for the first time in his life, from any need to worry about who might or might not vote for him the next time around.

If he wins in November, he will finally be free to do whatever he wants… or maybe “wants” is too strong a word for right now. It conjures up images of Papa Doc, Batista, Somoza; jails full of bewildered “political prisoners” and the constant cold-sweat fear of jackboots kicking your door off its hinges at four A.M.

There is no point in kidding ourselves about what Richard Nixon really wants for America. When he stands at his White House window ansd looks out on an anti-war demonstration, he doesn’t see “dissenters”, he sees criminals. Dangerous parasites, preparing to strike at the heart of the Great American System that put him where he is today.

– Thompson, Fear and Loathing, p. 395-96. (Emphasis the author’s.)

I suspect that when The One sees a Tea Party meeting, he sees exactly what HST believed Nixon saw on Pennsylvania Avenue in the summer of ’72.

Thompson was not quite correct in his assumptions of Nixon’s actions, although it could be argued that anyone foolish enough to mount an operation like Watergate to win an election he had no chance of losing (and everybody knew it in July) could have been unhinged enough to do almost anything outstandingly stupid if not for having to resign to avoid impeachment.

Does anyone seriously believe that the U.S. Congress would impeach this President, no matter what he did? Consider that he has already flaunted the Constitution in ways that would make Woodrow Wilson and FDR blush, and routinely ignores Congress, the Supreme Court, and the American people. (If they haven’t done anything by now, my guess is they aren’t going to.)

Given four more years in the Oval Office, he will remake this country into what he wants it to be, and he will not care what the consequences are for anyone else. In his mind, they have it coming because either their ancestors were bad people, or they’re just too stupid to grasp the perfection of his Utopian vision.

But I predict that in 2016, he will leave office. Because by that time, he will be bored with even what little actual work he does now. Instead, he will demand what he sees as his next “destined” position; Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Yes, I know the job never goes to a leader from a major power, and traditionally goes to someone from a “non-aligned” state. Mr. Obama believes that rules do not apply to him, and that he is a “citizen of the world”, above all petty considerations of nationality. (Name another POTUS who made his first campaign speech in Germany.)

If he doesn’t get that job, I predict he will sulk for a while, and then demand what he considers his final, true destiny; Ultimate Totality God of Everything for the Rest of Eternity.

I’d give it to him. And a nice fruit basket to go with it.

clear ether

eon

eon on January 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM

“But I’m not one of those people…” Pretty much every time Obama says he’s not something, you can strikethrough “not” and get the truth. He’s spent so long of his life in a social circle where no one would dare dispute him because that would seen as raaaaacist, that he’s hopelessly addicted to that line of lie. And why not? Why rack your brains to concoct elegant sophistries to confound the people, when all your lazy self has to do is insert the same one untruthful word in any sentence and get away with it?

sistrum on January 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

More Rubio please!

LibertarianRepublican on January 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Many posters on this site have posited what would happen if Obama were elected to a second term. If you look at Obama, and don’t see Hugo Chavez, or (Insert any other leftist, malevolent despot here), you are one of two things:
a.)Blind
b.)Complicit.
What would he do with his second term? Make President a life-long position, that’s what.

a5minmajor on January 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM

More Rubio please!

LibertarianRepublican on January 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Ditto!

GeorgieGirl9 on January 28, 2012 at 11:33 PM

“Guy who’s been campaigning for president since 2004 suddenly against “perpetual political campaigns””

It’s what fascist do.

locomotivebreath1901 on January 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Am I the only one that was struck by the feeling that the Rubio video clip looked one hell of a lot like a Marco For Veep audition…?

PointnClick on January 29, 2012 at 5:53 AM

The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons. – Emerson

WordsMatter on January 29, 2012 at 7:30 AM

How does he keep from laughing during these speeches? That must be his ‘gift’. Marco, mmm,mmm,mmm.

Kissmygrits on January 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM

AZfederalist on January 28, 2012

“Momma told me not to come” and she was right, er left, about everything else.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

He doesn’t have brass ones. He has diamond balls.

Anyone who votes for this putz this year because “he’s something different” deserves to be bitchslapped. Repeatedly.

Physics Geek on January 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Yes, I know the job [UN Secretary General] never goes to a leader from a major power, and traditionally goes to someone from a “non-aligned” state. Mr. Obama believes that rules do not apply to him, and that he is a “citizen of the world”

More to the point, he will have enough money left over from his “billion dollar campaign” to purchase the position outright.

jms on January 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM