The Newt you know

posted at 8:35 am on January 28, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

There are a couple of different looks this weekend at Newt Gingrich, who is turning out to be a mystery wrapped in a riddle as far as his popularity – or lack thereof – goes. One contradiction is the fact that Newt seems to be solidifying, or at least hanging on to, a lead in the polls nationally, even as he sinks into second place in Florida. But he clearly holds serious appeal for a lot of voters, while seeming to horrify some of the party heavyweights.

One possible explanation for his popularity is offered by Trip Gabriel at the Paper of Record, who finds that voters are hungry for somebody who will take on Barack Obama in a confrontational manner, and they just can’t get enough of Nuclear Newt.

“I think it’s about time the Republican Party put somebody up not because it’s their turn,” said Carroll Jaskulski, 63, who works in real estate, “but somebody who will get in the opposition’s face.”

For better or worse, Mr. Gingrich’s candidacy revolves around his personality, as evidenced by the disappointed reviews after a debate on Thursday in which his fires were uncharacteristically banked.

Supporters say what they love is the bombastic, take-no-prisoners candidate, the man whose signature moments were debates last week in South Carolina when he turned his cold fury on the news media.

“I got up out of my couch when he did what he did in South Carolina,” said Stephanie Garlin, 49, a real estate agent in Fort Lauderdale, recalling a standing ovation for Mr. Gingrich. “There’s something I feel about that man — that he has the strength and the ability and the forcefulness to win this election.”

Offering some personal observations from the perspective of somebody who worked closely with the former Speaker in Congress, Joe Scarborough writes an op-ed at Politico talking about The Newt I Know.

I first met Gingrich 17 years ago at a Destin, Fla., fundraiser held in my honor a few weeks after Newt declared that I was too conservative to win the general election. But after I won the primary against the moderate woman he anointed, there he was in Florida looking supremely bored and a little put out that he was having to sit through another politician’s speech.

In the ensuing years, I found the mercurial maverick to be inspiring and maddening, disciplined and self-indulgent, forward thinking and short-sighted, gifted and dumb — sometimes all within the same hour.

Joe relates some fascinating stories from his time in Congress, some of which jibe with Newt’s own claims on the campaign trail, while others are in stark contrast. Of particular interest is a series of encounters Gingrich had with a class of freshmen lawmakers who felt that he was bargaining away all the tax cuts and fiscal restraint they had achieved in the Contract With America during his final days as Speaker. It’s a rather startling set of contrasting portraits.

But which Newt do you know? If you weren’t around (or paying attention to politics) during the mid-90s, you might only be aware of references to the “scandals” surrounding 84 ethics charges brought against Gingrich. If you were around, you might already know that much of that came from the bloody minded hatred which Cooter from The Dukes of Hazard harbored for Newt. (What all too often goes unmentioned is that each and every one of those charges were eventually dropped, including the IRS investigation into improper use of taxpayer funds which led in large part to his departure from Washington.)

Do you like Newt the fighter or Newt the historian? Do you prefer the bull in the china shop or the spokesman who can call on four decades or more of studying all aspects of government policy? It seems like they’re all there for you, wrapped up in one big old bundle of Newtness. Or maybe you just think he has the best chance to beat Obama in the fall. The polls today would argue otherwise, but November is a long way off and polls change. Either way, it would absolutely be a more boring race without Newt Gingrich.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I like Newt the Conservative.

I don’t like Newt the OWS Protester.

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

“I think it’s about time the Republican Party put somebody up not because it’s their turn,” said Carroll Jaskulski, 63, who works in real estate, “but somebody who will get in the opposition’s face an open marriage.”

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Good post.

Probably due to my personal nature as a peace-maker, I prefer Professor Newt.

It’s one thing to stand on principle, and another to engage in bombastic, populist manipulating fire-breathing.

RightWay79 on January 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM

That’s right – Joe Scarborough used to be a conservative. So did Newt.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I like Newt as a news contributor and head of his own organization where his less than consistent demeanor doesn’t matter. I do not like Newt the candidate for numerous reasons.

Hope he returns to his previous roles sooner than later and with class.

jonkk on January 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM

“I think it’s about time the Republican Party put somebody up not because it’s their turn,” said Carroll Jaskulski, 63, who works in real estate, “but somebody who will get in the opposition’s face be a true conservative and govern as a fiscal conservative.”

That about clears out the field. Newt, Santorum and Romney = big gov’t progressives.

bzip on January 28, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Those House R’s from the 90′s would make these Tea party Frosh like wimps. Joe Scarborough was the tuffest S.O.B.

Newt was the Problem back then.

To me Newt is always statesman like unless attacked. I like that he creates a clear contrast that’s easy to understand

boogaleesnots on January 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM

If our biggest problem were late trains, Newt would not see a problem with singing the praises of Mussolini and Glenn Beck would call him a Fascist. Newt splits split hairs.

Honest Debate on January 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Great piece Jazz. Newt seems more like a yo yo these days. I wish he would just pick a personality and stick with it.

Sure, there are times to moderate the rhetoric but he seems to be unable to accomplish that without taking it to extremes.

You’d think he would have learned that after all these years.

Nelsa on January 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I like the vendetta (endorsement) he got from Nancy Pelosi.

RBMN on January 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I like Newt the Conservative.

I don’t like Newt the OWS Protester.

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I agree. And I don’t like Newt the moon colony advocate.

That said, I hate Romney, the candidate false accusing Newt of creating the Fannie and Freddie debacle. Romney’s a despicable POS.

BuckeyeSam on January 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Naughty or nice?

How about in need of bipolar meds?

ray on January 28, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Newt! first amphibian president…this is truly a post racial society.

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM

He looks a bit like Newt the muppet in that preview shot on the main page.

But I have to agree with others, I think Newt could do splendidly as a pundit. Although his track-record as such has not always been stellar (embryonic stem cell research, Nancy Pelosi on a couch, etc, etc, yadda yadda). I still think he has that potential to be a fantastic conservative… but not in office. I just don’t trust him that far.

Book on January 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Naughty or nice?

How about in need of bipolar meds?

ray on January 28, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Heh

RightWay79 on January 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM

But the vast majority of Americans don’t want an angry president.

Which is why Newt will never be president.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM

As a member of the C.C.C. club i’m not loving Newt AT ALL either. I really think its time to pull out the big guns and draft Mike Huckabee. He is the only person that I can think of who can
a. trounce Obama
b. repeal Ocare(never did anything like Romneycare or Ocare)
c. and cut the govt down 3 sizes, he’s done it to himself.
4. run rings around BO in debates.

Mr. & Mrs. Huckabee your country need YOU!!

mmcnamer1 on January 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM

…Newt Gingrich, who is turning out to be a mystery wrapped in a riddle as far as his popularity – or lack thereof – goes.

More like an erratic mind wrapped in a first-rate mouth.

horatio on January 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Sometimes you have to go to war with the Newt you have, not the Newt you wish you had. Buckle up , and please keep your hands and feet inside the blog at all times!

bigmike on January 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Newt! first amphibian president…this is truly a post racial society.

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Clever!
Except you should have written candidate for president.
He’ll never be president.
Too volatile. Unstable. Quirky.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Neeeewwwwtt! Go Newt

angrymike on January 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

More like an erratic mind wrapped in a first-rate mouth.

horatio on January 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM

well done good sir…did someone seriously just draft Huckabee? we really are screwed

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Newt! first amphibian president…this is truly a post racial society.

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM

LOL.

PatriotGal2257 on January 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

If Newt Gingrich was the brilliant leader Palin thinks he was, why does he have so little support from those he led?

This video helps explain why the Republican establishment doesn’t support Newt Gingrich

Palin’s support for Fredddie Mac Gingrich is sheer lunacy.

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Nice photo of Newt, too, by the way.

JellyToast on January 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Clever!
Except you should have written candidate for president.
He’ll never be president.
Too volatile. Unstable. Quirky.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM

racist!

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I am a strong conservative and usually don’t agree with Scarborough, but his memory jibes with my feeling for Newt. I started my first business in the ’90s and topics like taxes and health care were important to me. If the “contract with America” Newt had stayed with us I’d be in his camp. But there’s no way I can support the “messiah” Newt that, among other things, attacks capitalism for his own gain.

dpeters8 on January 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I was around, and was deeply engrossed in politics.

What I remember was a rather bright Newt Gingrich playing a decent hand for all it was worth and parlaying that into a GOP majority. I also remember, very shortly afterwards – VERY shortly – this prodigy blowing it all by feeding his ego, badly overreaching and causing political catastrophe over the pettiest of slights.

I remember a party led by a man chosen to try to counteract the tempestuousness of Newt Gingrich, having to play defense all through the summer and fall of ’96, largely through no fault of their own, simply by their connection to Newt Gingrich.

I remember an impeachment gone bad. Gone so bad, in fact, that we lost elections that, by any historical measure, we should have won, and won big. I remember Newt Gingrich being run rather unceremoniously out of his Speakership, not him walking away in self-flagellation, as he now rather shamelessly claims.

And lastly, I remember him telling the people of Georgia’s 6th Congressional District, just a couple of months after going to them and telling them that he was the very best to represent them in the US House of Representatives, that he was quitting his job.

Now, I’ve given Sarah Palin some grief over what I still feel was a terrible decision to resign the Governorship of Alaska over a nakedly partisan feud that was in fact hurting her ability to govern. And here we have Newt resigning his office, not over brutal political opposition and tactics, but because he didn’t get to be Speaker anymore.

That’s what I remember of Newt.

Tell me, Moonies, is my memory failing me?

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM

But the vast majority of Americans don’t want an angry president.

Which is why Newt will never be president.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM

This is my thinking as well.

Anger doesn’t win elections. Even Obama (who surely benefitted from Bush Hatred) based his campaign on positive things (yes, they were general, vague platitudes…but still…).

Besides all that, I honestly thought that Democrats and Liberals were supposed to be the ones who were ruled by their irrational emotions, while Republicans and Conservatives were principled people of Reason.

RightWay79 on January 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM

“…the polls today would argue otherwise…”.

It’s polls of that sort that come off to me as nothing more than a mix of campaign advertising and agitprop.

In the last days before the South Carolina Primary, all the polling and talk was, “Romney has the lead, even though Gingrich is gaining steam.”

Even right up to the final hour before polls closed, Fox News – among other stations – were claiming “it’s going to be neck and neck.”

Then, the polls closed at 7pm…and within five seconds, Fox announced, “we’re calling this race for Gingrich.”

TRANSLATION: “we’ve been lying to you all along to make you vote for Romney.”
(And Gingrich won by 12.5%, in the state which has voted for the nominee for the last 32 years.)

Nothing else is going on here. Don’t believe the stories.
UNLEASH GINGRICH IN 2012!

Czar of Defenestration on January 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Obama is going to use one billion dollars to throw everything he can find, or make up, at the Republican nominee and the MSM is going to swear to it. If you think it’s been dirty so far, you haven’t seen anything yet.

Kaffa on January 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

His volatility is only one of several problems.
Various kinds of scandals & flip-flops make him the unsafe candidate. A Newt nomination would make the election all about scary Newt.
We need a safe candidate to beat Obama.
The President has lots of his own baggage. Why not run a vanilla candidate & make the election about Obama?

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

did someone seriously just draft Huckabee? we really are screwed

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Although suggesting that we draft Huckabee is a great way to get the blood pumping in the morning. Him and Barbour… they make me go get my track shoes on so that I can chase down the felons that they release from prison.

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Another reason for Gingrich’s popularity is well articulated by Palin:

“But this whole thing isn’t really about Newt Gingrich vs. Mitt Romney. It is about the GOP establishment vs. the Tea Party grassroots and independent Americans who are sick of the politics of personal destruction used now by both parties’ operatives with a complicit media egging it on. In fact, the establishment has been just as dismissive of Ron Paul and Rick Santorum. Newt is an imperfect vessel for Tea Party support, but in South Carolina the Tea Party chose to get behind him instead of the old guard’s choice. In response, the GOP establishment voices denounced South Carolinian voters with the same vitriol we usually see from the left when they spew hatred at everyday Americans “bitterly clinging” to their faith and their Second Amendment rights. The Tea Party was once again told to sit down and shut up and listen to the “wisdom” of their betters. We were reminded of the litany of Tea Party endorsed candidates in 2010 who didn’t win. Well, here’s a little newsflash to the establishment: without the Tea Party there would have been no historic 2010 victory at all.”

Czar of Defenestration on January 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

What I can’t understand is why do conservatives hate Newt? Aren’t his conservative credentials pretty good?

SoulGlo on January 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

a. trounce Obama

Oh great. The Bill Clinton of the GOP. Yeah, he’s as pure as they come.

JellyToast on January 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

angrymike on January 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

angry to the mike man! you sleep like me…never :)

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Mr. & Mrs. Huckabee your country need YOU!!

mmcnamer1 on January 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM

thanks for the deep thinking,it wasnt needed.

svs22422 on January 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM

dang, that’s a great photo
p’shopped?

james23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM

SoulGlo on January 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

The Bob Doles and Trent Lotts of the world hate Newt.

In other words, the people who wear the conservative t-shirt but sit on the other team’s bleachers for the game can’t stand Newt. He makes them unpopular with the other team. Except for when Newt is putting C4 on the field. Then everybody hates him. Which is every other quarter.

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM

But the vast majority of Americans don’t want an angry president.

Which is why Newt will never be president.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I guess it all depends on where the anger is directed. Personally.. I’d like a President who gets angry at injustice, gets angry when Americans suffer at the hands of tyrants, when the innocent are falsely accused and the guilty are left to roam the streets.

Contrast that kind of anger with the anger directed at Newt for daring to dream great things for America.

JellyToast on January 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Newt told Greta that he is a Geniune Populist.

He wants to be the Republican Barach Obama whipping the crowds up into a frenzy over populist ideas?

Fleuries on January 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I prefer Newt the anti-jihadist…the only candidate who understands and will speak out against the greatest threat to the western world today…islam.

thedevilinside on January 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Newt told Greta that he is a Geniune Populist.

Fleuries on January 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I’ll take a populist over a Marxist and a RINO/Lib any day of the week.

JellyToast on January 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

the Huckabee reality

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I like Newt the Conservative.

I don’t like Newt the OWS Protester.

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I don’t like Newt the chameleon.

rich801 on January 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

thedevilinside on January 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Check under your bed. You never know; there might be a Commie jihadist under there.

Better safe than sorry, citizen!

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Newt was the Problem back then.

boogaleesnots on January 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM

CLEARLY, you were not awake or involved or sober back then (or even alive?) He was AMAZING !

stenwin77 on January 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

A damn fine question, that deserves an answer.

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Kaffa on January 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

what you want and what we will get are two different things.

svs22422 on January 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM

thedevilinside on January 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

You’re hilarious!

Romney was the one who confronted the Palestinian audience-member questioner at the last debate with our need to defend Israel against Palestinian threats.

Santorum has spoken against Islamo-fascism for decades.

Paul is the only one who shrugs his shoulders at Islamist threats.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Better safe than sorry, citizen!

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I checked – we’re good! Just the usual dead bodies.

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Now, you don’t possibly think Joe would make up stuff to get the favored Mitt to be the nominee – do you?

Nah.

stenwin77 on January 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I agree. And I don’t like Newt the moon colony advocate.

BuckeyeSam on January 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Educate yourself. Freddie Mac Gingrich was a big supporter of the sub prime socialist mortgage scheme which nearly caused the collapse of the banking system. He was on the wrong side of a very important and ruinous public policy.

Read Reckless Endangerment and get a clue .

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Americans fell in love with Barack Hussein Obama because they really hated Washington DC and hoped that someone really would change the way our government is run. Some of us conservatives picked up on Newt because we saw the fire versus the gentleman (who has his staff pull the filthy tricks). Yes, we wanted someone to actually stand up and fight; the GOP lays back and expects that people will see the truth.

I personally have problems with both Newt and Mittens but I find Mitt’s willingness to sell himself as the gentleman politician (while his campaign pulls filthy ) more reprehensible than anything Newt has done.

Face it folks, with our choices, we’re screwed.

katablog.com on January 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I lived in Pensacola Florida when Joe Scarborough ran for office. He had a TV show that was on for hours at a time as he propped himself up and he use his own money to do so. When in got elected he did nothing at all for the conservative cause. He use to come to ‘Sacred Heart Hospital” at times to speak and was asked often to help do something about the Abortion law…. he did nothing at all.. He is a big blow hard that has shown in the last 4 years who he really is and he is no conservative….

I met him when he came to Sacred Heart Hospital…. So I do know something about this man…

Shain1611 on January 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM

When someone’s been around for a long time (alive, not necessarily in politics), they have the opportunity for a lot of stupid mistakes, and subsequent lessons and growth. That’s why I’m not repulsed by views they may have had in the past – I’m more interested in what they think now, and how they arrived at their current beliefs.

Newt-the-sofa-sitter pissed me off when he posed with Botox Nan. What does he make of AGW now? Newt who was hostile towards the Tea Party – what does he think about Federal spending now, and why?

One thing I want to ask him is, wtf is “right-wing social engineering”? Does he know what social engineering is?

disa on January 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Why not post the facts and let the chips fall where they may
concerning all candidates?

The media (and I include Hot Air) seem intent on reporting
the lastest tidbit or gotcha moment. In an effort to appear
praising Newt was easy to find. The facts were both on video and
print. Why not bother to find them?

Jumping on the bandwagon to destroy a candidate with falsehoods
is reprehensible.

Amjean on January 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Someone once said that the choice between Mitt and Newt is the choice between a pop gun and a loose cannon. Well, at least the cannon has some fire power, even if its aim is slightly off from time to time. I’ll take Newt the fighter, please. He’s our best hope now, as I see it.

parteagirl on January 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Sorry, but Newt Gingrich is not that interesting.

He’s just a pompous, unelectable corrupt windbag.

When Newt loses the FL primary, we’ll less and less of these stories about the man.

I’m ready to start focusing solely on Obama. This Newt Gingrich idiocy is just a waste of time.

bluegill on January 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

SoulGlo on January 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I don’t hate him. But…

Gingrich wrote a doctoral dissertation criticizing Christian missionaries who discouraged adultery in the Congo. He wrote that adultery was “the essence of tribal stability.”

Gingrich on Reagan: “Measured against the scale and momentum of the Soviet empire’s challenge, the Reagan administration has failed, is failing and without a dramatic, fundamental change in strategy will continue to fail…The burden of the failure frankly must be placed first upon President Reagan…Beyond the obvious indicators of decay, the fact is that President Reagan has lost control of the national agenda.”

Gingrich accepted $1,500,000 in “consulting” fees from the corrupto-crats at Freddie Mac, which probably were actually lobbying fees, which is probably illegal.

Gingrich bragged about being a moderate with this comment: “There is a new synthesis evolving with the classic moderate wing of the party, where as a former Rockefeller state chairman, I’ve spent most of my life.”

Gingrich starred in a 2007 global warming commercial with Nancy Pelosi that was sponsored by Al Gore’s Alliance for Climate Protection. He has since has flip-flopped spectacularly on global warming.

Gingrich was paid $312,000 by ethanol interests, and then said ethanol is good for national security and for the economy.

Gingrich has consistently supported the type of individual mandates for health insurance that conservatives are trying to overturn through court challenges to Obamacare.

Gingrich went on NBC’s “Meet the Press” and called Paul Ryan’s Medicare plan “radical” and “right-wing social engineering.”

Gingrich said of the Medicare prescription drug plan that was the largest expansion of entitlements since the Great Society, “Every conservative member of Congress should vote for this Medicare bill. Obstructionist conservatives can always find reasons to vote no.”

Gingrich attacked Steve Largent, Tom Coburn and other conservatives as “the Perfectionist Caucus,” while giving his last speech as speaker in support of Dick Gephardt and Dave Obey’s colossal Omnibus Bill of 1998.

Gingrich flipped & then flopped on abortion:

Not electable. Not presidential.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Give me “Scrappy Newt”!

CliffHanger on January 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I’ll take Newt the fighter, please. He’s our best hope now, as I see it.

parteagirl on January 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Mitt destroyed “Newt the Fighter” in the last debate head-to-head. Turns out that Newt’s bark is just a front and can’t be backed up with any substance.

Newt is simply a dishonest, preachy egomaniac.

bluegill on January 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Newt will fight back – “I don’t want to bloody his nose. I want to knock him out!”. Give me the nasty Newt in this campaign. I don’t want to hear that “Obama is nice guy. He’s just in over his head.”. I want to hear that Obama is communist pig who is destroying our country. Yeah, nasty-Newt is what I want. Kaffa on January 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Nasty Newt will get you 4 more years of Obama. Some of those 53% who voted for him are willing to admit they were wrong. Telling them that they voted for a communist pig is counter-productive.

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I don’t give a rat’s patootie. I’m voting against McCaskill here in Missouri and I’m trying to make sure that Russ Carnahan has to run against Lacy Clay since Carnahan was redistricted out of a seat.

Let’s get the House and Senate under control and we won’t have to worry about Newt or Mitt as President.

Vince on January 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM

The thing that surprises me most is how quickly Gingrich went from being the has-been who backed The Establishment’s choice in NY-23 to being some sort of Tea Party darling.

It really wasn’t all that long ago.

I’m truly surprised this hasn’t been a stringer line of attack against Gingrich (at least to deflate his current support among Tea Partiers).

When he was going around saying things like:

And so this idea that we’re suddenly going to establish litmus tests, and all across the country, we’re going to purge the party of anybody who doesn’t agree with us 100 percent — that guarantees Obama’s reelection. That guarantees Pelosi is Speaker for life. I mean, I think that is a very destructive model for the Republican Party.

… to Tea Partiers, that argument would probably qualify as “Establishment-speak”.

RightWay79 on January 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Read Reckless Endangerment and get a clue .

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

You’re such a putz. Out of the book, Gingrich gets a single mention for attending an event in 1996. Big whoop.

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Our current administration has set this country on fire…and Newt is the only one that is going to show up with a hose. Romney barely smells the smoke.

lynncgb on January 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I’m swimming in this Newt hate!

hatah’s gonna hate yo

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM

ouch…score one for the geek

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM

So why do the Romney/bots like Mitt so much? He looks good and he sounds so reasonable. And he knows how to create jobs.

I’ll give him that he knows how to create jobs and would do well for our economy.

But.. this is the thing. I am convinced that there are many within the GOP that would be totally fine living in a police state, having massive government controlling every detail of our lives as long as our taxes were reasonable and the economy were strong.

This is the defining difference. Conservatism is more than just about jobs. RINO’s would be willing to sell our souls for a good economy. Profits are worth more to them than freedom. The stock market matters more than liberty.

JellyToast on January 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Amen to that….He is not going to be over ran by the republican establishment. He knows where the bodies are buried…and that’s what they hate about him.

Shain1611 on January 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM

how about a socialist pig? it’s softer…more European.

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Newt! first amphibian president…this is truly a post racial society.

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM

he’s toast man. ever since that commercial on that couch with the horn toad.

t8stlikchkn on January 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM

ouch…score one for the geek

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM

You know, uninformed chirpies like Josh Romney Basilsbest come in here and act all knowledgeable, but it’s all BS. If they would at least acknowledge the serious flaws of their candidate of choice, they’d have more credibility, but no… the individual mandate is oh so conservative, don’t you know. Just ask they’ll tell you.

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

how about a socialist pig? it’s softer…more European.

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM

And tastes of other people’s wealth. So succulent!

As opposed to the communist pig, which tastes of other people’s poverty. Dry and bland!!

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Give me “Scrappy Newt”!

CliffHanger on January 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

in the mystery machine with shaggy

t8stlikchkn on January 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Newt is for Newt. He wants to be President for the glory and prestige. He loves personal vendettas and battles. He has thin skin just like Obama. Just like Obama he’s a narcissist. I wouldn’t trust him as CIC or even with diplomacy. Why did we dredge up a has-been politician as a candidate? As a Speaker or Representative he can afford to be volatile and petty and vain…not as a President. I don’t like any of the candidates for various reasons so I am ABO.
As for Palin, I wish she and others would quit talking about leaders of the Tea Party representing the movement. None of the Tea Party people I know are impressed with any of these supposed leaders like Armey or even Palin any more. I like Palin but she doesn’t represent me.

Deanna on January 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I remember a president who was on the ropes, lying before grand juries, being stripped of his law license, calling women he raped “whores” and “trailer trash” — and a hapless Republican leadership doing…absolutely nothing, drawing no contrasts between themselves and this venal president. Little did I know that the Republican speaker of the house was banging someone other than his wife at the time, too, so he simply could not go after the deeply immoral and dishonest man in the Oval Office. Thanks, Newt.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Newt is our only hope this cycle to stop the political class machine. If we could just loosen their grip a little, things would get better fast. The way they portrayed South Carolina as a bunch of stupid, redneck racists because of how they voted should tell you all you need to know.

mike_NC9 on January 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I like the scrappy Newt…but he has too many Congressman Moonbeam moments.

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Why not post the facts and let the chips fall where they may
concerning all candidates?

The media (and I include Hot Air) seem intent on reporting
the lastest tidbit or gotcha moment. In an effort to appear
praising Newt was easy to find. The facts were both on video and
print. Why not bother to find them?

Jumping on the bandwagon to destroy a candidate with falsehoods
is reprehensible.

Amjean on January 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

+10

IndeCon on January 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

JellyToast on January 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM

A+

svs22422 on January 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

tru dat canvas – this is a set of seriously flawed candidates. Anyone suggesting otherwise is summarily retarded.

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

JohnGalt gets it!

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Cooter was a Mittbot when being a Mittbot wasn’t cool. Cool!

ddrintn on January 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Yer not alone, honions. Many of us are disgusted re: another “immaculation”.

“Yeah, yeah. I know. Newt Gingrich had a lousy week and will probably lose the Florida primary on Tuesday. But for those tempted to once again predict the speedy collapse of his campaign, consider yourselves forewarned. I’ve known this guy long enough to realize that the only three species destined to survive a nuclear holocaust will be cockroaches, Cher and Newton Leroy Gingrich.” J. Sourdough, LSDNBC

At the moment we all, of course, despise sewer roaches.
(the OWS crowd excluded of course)
Some o’them babies are as big as a rat (or maybe it just seems that way in the middle of the night), but they DO survive. Since Boric Acid isn’t a factor in this race …

Either way, it would absolutely be a more boring race without Newt Gingrich. – Jazz

You betcha. What’s not to love about a pol with testosterone?
(in the office only of course)
NOTE: No “sexism” meant or implied. There are probably more women than men with that hormone in the GOP these days. See: Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yes, the charges were dropped, and, the $300,000 he paid was not a fine.

Gingrich Never Fined on Ethics Matter, Records Show

He also did not resign his Speakership in disgrace because of the ethics charges, as Governor Romney has charged. He resigned two years later, because Republicans, though holding the House, did not do as well as expected in the 1998 House elections.

And just for good measure, here’s another popular meme shot down:

During the investigation and impeachment of Clinton, Gingrich generally refrained from specific criticism of the president’s personal behavior. Source

Flora Duh on January 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

But the vast majority of Americans don’t want an angry president.

Which is why Newt will never be president.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM

This is my thinking as well.

RightWay79 on January 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM

The Left has their base & the Right has their base, but national elections are always decided by what moderates do.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

mike_NC9 on January 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

ahhh, the sweet scented narratives of the establishment!

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Just found out that George HW Bush and his son Jeb Bush went to meet with Obama at the white house fri.After the meeting they both said it,s time for the republicans candidates to tone their comments on Obama.In other words Obama is not a socialist but a nice guy who loves this country .I know one candidate that will fall right in line with this approach.These elitist and establishment Republicans are just as dangerous as Obama and who ever they support i will oppose.

logman1 on January 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I have to say that I find most of the comments here somewhat puzzling to me.
Yes, I was around when Newt was Speaker of the House; not only around but had been working as an attorney in NYC for nearly 20 years when he was Speaker. My specialty was commercial real estate.

I remember the Contract With America – no doubt something many of you who were not there, then, would categorize as Newt’s Egocentic ways. But the CWA was in fact a CONSERVATIVE handbook to try to get our nation back on track as AMERICA – freedom of opportunity for all.
And for those who yearn for a “vanilla” candidate so we can make the 2012 Presidential Election all about Obama and his truly crappy record (no matter how HIS Department of Labor continues to refine “unemployed”; no matter how much we support those people who hate Israel; no matter the overeaching GRAB by the Emperor President) such a candidate does not exist.
You cannot be in politics long enough to get a nomination without getting mud on your shoes, and some on your face unless, of course, you haven’t been paying attention and no one has been paying attention to you.
I think one of Newt’s true strong points is his willingness and ability to take on the MSM – both in the primaries and as POTUS. The Housing crisis was NOT spawned by FannieMae and FreddieMac; it was started by the Community Reinvestiment Act, first signed into law by Jimmy Carter, then amended to give it REAL TEETH by Bill Clinton. Banks were obligated to make 1/3rd of all first time homebuyer mortgages to people with TERRIBLE credit or no credit at all; folks who, like Harry Reid and the Democratic Controlled Senate didn’t know how to spell the word BUDGET, much less understand what it means.
The Banks,not being – generally speaking – STUPID, bundled those loans first and sold them off to………guess who? Yeah, the same folks Newt sold his advice to at Fannie and his advice to Fannie over several years was the same thing: GET OUT OF BUYING UP HOME MORTGAGES, they’ll bring you down.

I’d glady suffer whatever Egotism Newt may display for someone who has, consistently FOUGHT for America, someone who LOVES America and certainly someone who RESPECTS America.

realwest on January 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

In point of fact, anyone and everyone who has ever or will ever run for President is a seriously flawed candidate.

RightWay79 on January 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Newt, the great tea party warrior.

M240H on January 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM

LOL…and there you have it, folks. It’s perfectly OK to go nuclear on those in your own party, but you’d better walk on eggshells when going up against Obama. Why Moderates Lose.

ddrintn on January 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

deeply immoral and dishonest man in the Oval Office. Thanks, Newt.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Being more concerned about the sex than the lying under oath hurt our party. The democrats obviously didn’t care about the sex, so that’s a wash. Now they can portray us as the party that doesn’t care about lying under oath. Newt didn’t break any laws. The punishment does not fit the (non)crime.

mike_NC9 on January 28, 2012 at 9:47 AM

The media (and I include Hot Air) seem intent on reporting the latest tidbit or gotcha moment. In an effort to appear fair, sometimes one notices a contrasting point of view somewhere in the article, usually an obscure sentence or two near the bottom of the page. However, seldom does the writer/poster research the facts. In the rush to smear Gingrich, most sites/tv/radio media were posting whatever came their way. The video of Nancy Reagan praising Newt was easy to find. The facts were both on video and print. Why not bother to find them?

Jumping on the bandwagon to destroy a candidate with falsehoods is reprehensible.

Amjean on January 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I read that Stuart Epperson, who owns HotAir, is a big Romney supporter. True? If so, does that factor?

beatcanvas on January 28, 2012 at 9:47 AM

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yeah, well, uhhhhhh….it’s a good idea to secure your base first, unless those “moderates” are your base. In which case you’re up shite creek without a paddle.

ddrintn on January 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

A d___ fine question, that deserves an answer.

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Well, we’ve gotten no answer yet.

Romney will do, but T-Paw would’ve been even better.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

RightWay79 on January 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

except for the half black Jesus

DHChron on January 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yeah, well, uhhhhhh….it’s a good idea to secure your base first, unless those “moderates” are your base. In which case you’re up (poopoo) creek without a paddle.

ddrintn on January 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Mitt will nominate a VP candidate to his right, like Jindal or Rubio.

itsnotaboutme on January 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM