New Romney ad: Let Tom Brokaw tell you about Newt’s ethics

posted at 1:36 pm on January 28, 2012 by Allahpundit

Watch this one while you can because Brokaw and NBC are, apparently, “extremely uncomfortable” with it.

In a statement Saturday, former NBC “Nightly News” anchor Tom Brokaw, who is featured in the ad reporting on Gingrich’s 1997 ethics investigation, said, “I am extremely uncomfortable with the extended use of my personal image in this political ad. I do not want my role as a journalist compromised for political gain by any campaign.”…

The NBC legal department has written a letter to the campaign asking for the removal of all NBC News material from their campaign ads. Similar requests have gone out to other campaigns that NBC says have inappropriately used clips from “Nightly News,” “Meet the Press,” “Today” and MSNBC material.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Team Mitt used the Brokaw footage in the full expectation that NBC would raise a stink. They used the same strategy a few months ago, I suspect, in that ad taking Obama out of context on the economy. They knew the left would flip out and, in so doing, increase the ad’s exposure; it’s “earned media” in the most cynically earned way. This ad is doubly clever insofar as it uses an, ahem, impartial newsman to lay out the “facts” of Gingrich’s ethics reprimand in the House. That’s an effective counter to Newt’s complaints that Romney is distorting what happened in that ethics saga — after all, we’ve got fair-and-balanced Tom Brokaw reporting on it right here — but of course, there is some distortion happening: As Byron York explained in a post a few days ago, Gingrich was ultimately exonerated of any illegality after an investigation by Bill Clinton’s IRS. (See the second clip below.) Doesn’t change the fact of the House reprimand but it does call into question whether it was warranted.

Too bad there are no more debates before Tuesday. Newt could have packaged this spot plus Romney’s defense of John King into a fine little rant about cozying up to the “elite media.” Exit question via Johnny Dollar: Since when does NBC News or its subsidiaries object to promoting certain politicians?

Update: The NYT has an interesting piece today about Team Mitt’s use of Twitter to take the pulse of Republican reaction to developments in the campaign. Here’s their newest step, another aspect of their “Newt is totally unelectable” messaging: “Romney’s campaign also debuted a new Twitter hashtag to accompany the [Brokaw] television spot: #Newtorious.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

Fleuries on January 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

writeblock on January 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Spot-On. But your admirable essay will likely be wasted on the Newt Fluffers here.

One more time, for all you Newt-tron Bombs out there, Newt is only 3 years younger than the Old Fogey was when he ran against O’bama in 2008. He’ll get creamed by the younger voters, and even some of the older ones as well.

And also remember, many of Newt’s supporters were in diapers and don’t remember the jackass he made of himself in the 1990s.

Del Dolemonte on January 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Have you ever studied just exactly what Mormons believe? If not, I challenge you to do so. After you have, take another look at Romney.

jfs756 on January 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Yes, I have. For a few decades, actually. I know everything they believe inside and out, and I don’t find it crazy at all. They believe what Christ taught. Is that crazy?

acorn on January 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM
They believe that they are going to be a god just like Jesus, someday on some other planet or dimension. That is not what Christ taught.
They ignore that Jesus taught that he is God.
Mormons are a blasphemous cult not just a cult.

Plantnerd on January 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Great post. This is exactly what I’ve been talking about. Romney’s weird, blaspemous, cult religion (Mormonism) defines who he is. There’s nothing more important nor fundamental than an individual’s religious beliefs. Romney, indeed, believes he’s going to become a god someday. He also believes there’s no hell. He also believes there are different “levels” of heaven. He also believes that the Catholic Church is of the devil and is being run by Satan himself. These are all mainline, mainstream Mormon beliefs. Again, people need to research what Mormons truly believe before you go posting on here to defend Romney.

BTW, to those who have called me a “bigot,” well, I guess it takes one to know one, doesn’t it? :)

jfs756 on January 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

jfs756 on January 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Hot Air was conducting a poll every so often I think its time for one before Fl . Primary, oh may be they can not face the fact that Mitt will get a third of the votes.

evergreenland on January 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

The economy and unemployment are going to be the two deciding factors in this race. And as someone who’s already finished law school, I can tell you that the SCOTUS has no problem in adjudicating a case or setting precedent where they feel it’s appropriate.

cynccook on January 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

No – The economy and unemployment will not matter. You don’t have a candidate that will present that contrast. You have a candidate that will be presented as the 1%. The GOP will be so blunted with all of the hype. Obama is a strong person to beat. He is strongly liked and I strongly see him getting re-elected even with poor employment numbers.

You have a dichotomy. You have a personable Presidential candidate (Obama) and you have two candidates that the public at large isn’t “swayed” by. If Mitt is the nominee, you aren’t going to get that mentality of “I’m voting against someone” because he will not have the base. He will have a strong part of the base, but that’s the part of the base that will always vote period. It will come to turnout.

I don’t think the election as an employment one. That’s where I differ from the general GOP electorate. I’m trying to view it as someone that both worked at a GOP HQ and as a normal voting member. You don’t have to worry about my vote. My vote is not the one that I’m talking about though. My facebook feed is FULL of people linking articles about the GOP and not in good ways.

Midwestprincesse on January 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

evergreenland on January 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Gotta kick em while their down, eh, Mitt?

tkyang99 on January 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Gonna have that much sympathy for Obama?

rubberneck on January 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

a governor does not give a judge permission. its vice versa

gerrym51 on January 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

jfs756 on January 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Enjoy your permanent 20% into irrelevance.

haner on January 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

mitt will get only 15% of votes on HA

gerrym51 on January 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM

evergreenland on January 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Not true. Where do you get this stuff?

Massachusetts’ largest pro-life organization gave Romney a perfect rating as governor.

Adjoran on January 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

But they will remember what Mitt’s pro choice policies did, he even went as far as to let a judge give permission for abortion if under 18 without parents permission . I am sure that is a record you who claim that he is so much higher morally than Newt will be proud of. evergreenland on January 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Roe v Wade was the law for 30 years before Romney became Governor. “He let a Judge give permission…” It sounds like you don’t know what you are talking about. What was the age of abortion consent in Mass? Governors are required to follow the law.

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I don’t disagree. Any Republican candidate will lose though. Our candidates are THAT dismal. At least Newt is offering up any sort of new idea, even if they aren’t good ones. Mitt gives stock answers.

That’s why people like Ron Paul and folks like Palin. They weren’t giving boilerplate answers. They were explaining how they would go after the actual problem. And that’s why people liked Rick Perry too despite his faults.

The reason why Palin wanted Newt to win in SC (other than stuffing it to Mitt) was because if you stop campaigning now, activists don’t stay engaged. If you continue the process, you continue this engagement. Mitt is lame though. Instead of presenting his ideas, he needs to attack Newt. That’s called punching down.

Both of them should be punching up at Obama. That’s why Palin has been so GRRRRR lately. I commend her for it because the GOP is walking on its last leg. I sincerely believe that too.

Midwestprincesse on January 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I don’t believe any GOP nominee would lose. It’s not been a strong field, but Obama isn’t exactly a strong incumbent either.

As far as Romney goes, he needs to attack Newt because that is his rival for the nomination. It’d be nice if they all trained their fire on Obama, but that isn’t how it works…they have to demonstrate to GOP voters why they’d be best, and why the other guy wouldn’t be.

I understand the desire for a long, drawn-out primary process, but in this case I think it will only serve to do long-term damage to both leading candidates. Newt, especially, seems to be operating with Mutually Assured Destruction in mind…if he can’t have the nod, then he’ll take Romney down with him and ensure he can’t win the general. I think that’s where those class warfare tactics came from. The GOP, regardless, will continue on…in just the last ten years I’ve heard both parties, at various points, would disappear. Reports of the GOP’s impending demise are, I suspect, greatly exaggerated.

changer1701 on January 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

gerrym51 on January 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Who appointed the judge?

evergreenland on January 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Well now I know Romney’s team is dirty enough to do battle with Obamas team but, the tactics sure don’t make me like or respect him just proves to me he’s more of the same just a new team.

rebekahhuang on January 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Wow. Well, if that’s what you think.

cynccook on January 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I hereby declare this thread officially Played Out.

cynccook on January 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Moreover, national polls are meaningless.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM

The second Mittbot today to say that. And this after 3 years of pointing to national polls to show us how electable Romney is.

ddrintn on January 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It would have been honest for you to include my post in full. Since you didn’t, I will:

That Gallup poll being discussed here was done before Thursday night’s devastating debate for Gingrich. Moreover, national polls are meaningless. All that matters — and what I said in the part of my post you did not copy and paste — are the swing states. The only current swing state poll we have right now is one out today about Florida — and Romney is up 4 over the president. That is good news!

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM

National polls do not matter. 12 states will decide this election. Only 12. Only the polls in those states matter. Florida is one of those states. Romney is ahead of Obama in Florida. Gingrich has never been ahead of Obama in a single swing state. Never.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Not true. Where do you get this stuff?

Adjoran on January 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

An ad that is on radio with his voice .

evergreenland on January 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

ALL political advertising – television, radio, newspaper, billboards – is paid in advance. You cannot bill a defunct campaign, and media doesn’t want to be in the position of showing any favoritism.

Nowadays most don’t even take a check, they demand a debit card or EFT for buys over a minimal amount.

Adjoran on January 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Facebook is a very different demographic, especially active facebook users. I’m on facebook, but rarely post links on it. It’s more a family photo album for me. So I think the sampling is not representative. The thing is facebook has our real names, and I’m just not comfortable posting my political views to the world, to my employers, to my clients, etc. Those that are proud of their liberalism to shout it across the world, well I don’t think we’re going to win them over in the first place.

haner on January 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Wow. Well, if that’s what you think.
cynccook on January 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Wow, ‘princess. (oh crap, I’m plagiarizing cynccook)
I can’t believe anyone thinks Obama is still “well liked” or popular.

Before the 2008 election, he was. But since then the voting public have had plenty of time to see Obama in action, and properly judge him on merit. The voting public at large didn’t have that advantage, last election.

I’ve already stated on previous threads that I believe ALL of the Republican primary candidates (including Herman Caine, Rick Perry, and Michelle Bachmann) can beat Obama.
But if you can’t help being “in a state of anxiety” over this, then I’m at a loss.

listens2glenn on January 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I hereby declare this thread officially Played Out.
cynccook on January 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

AwwwwWWWWW, we haven’t got to 2000 posts yet. : (

listens2glenn on January 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

haner on January 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

This

CW on January 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Money quote right there…LOL!

rightConcept on January 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

What is it you believe? Why don’t you stick to that instead of telling people what is LDS doctrine when you obviously are not LDS and don’t know their beliefs?

Romney, indeed, believes he’s going to become a god someday.

Not in the sense you mean, but rather in the sense of Romans 8:16-17. Do you think C.S. Lewis was nuts too?

He also believes there’s no hell.

No, Mormons don’t teach or believe this.

He also believes there are different “levels” of heaven.

So? “In my Father’s house are many mansions.” What of it?

No, Mormons don’t teach or believe this.

These are all mainline, mainstream Mormon beliefs.

These are mostly things made up by people who don’t like Mormons.

jfs756 on January 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Again, people need to research what Mormons truly believe before you go posting on here to defend defame Romney. See lds.org.

FIFY

robm on January 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

He admitted later that the letter was drafted in haste and that he was in the midst of pushing the Contract with America through.

cynccook on January 28, 2012 at 5:01 PM

He lies to cover up the first lie. Brilliant.

csdeven on January 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM

No. He admitted a mistake in the filing. Even the ethics committee believed him, hence from the Ethics Committee Report in ref N. Gingrich:

The Members were of the opinion that if there were to be a final adjudication of the matter, taking into account the higher standard of proof that is involved at that level, “should have known” was an appropriate framing of the charge in light of all the facts and circumstances.

There’s a world of difference between “should have known” and “willfully misled in order to deceive”.

So, yeah… I’ll still defer to Bryan York who was covering the investigation and had interviewed the involved parties as well as the opinions expressed by the Committee itself in its own report over your interpretation.

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I wonder how many babies in Massachusetts were aborted while Mitt Romney was governor? Too bad we can’t ask them their thoughts on which type of liar is the worst.

cynccook on January 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

That’s a rather strange question. How many babies were aborted while Reagan was president, although he was pro-life? That doesn’t make him a liar.

Gelsomina on January 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Who appointed the judge?

i don’t know . which judge and what case

gerrym51 on January 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Exact same things, other than the fact he didn’t increase the debt by 50%; he didn’t impose a healthcare system that the majority didn’t want; he didn’t substantially increase the rate of unemployment; he didn’t stomp on the legal rights of bondholders; he didn’t preside over a moribund economy and make it worse; and he had to deal with with an 85% opposition legislature.

You are incapable of being rational, let alone fair minded, when it comes to Romney. You are so completely unhinged about Romney that you’ve said you’ll vote for Obama.

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Of course Romney did not, he made darn certain that bonus federal dollars that come from the fed kept flowing to the state. He raised taxes by 500M a year, increased fees for services while not increasing the value of those services. He imposed the exact same healthcare that Obama implemented, the only difference being that it was paid for by much higher premiums, extra medicare funding from the fed (so instead of cutting medicare spending like Obama did, he just increased medicare spending so it goes bankrupt sooner rather than later), he did Govern over a moribund economy that was rated 47th out of 50 states, Romney chose the state to run as a Governor, nothing prevented him from running in a state where it would have been conservative legislature or even level. Of course, I really do not see that he considered them opposition, seems to me he loved working with them, and he would love to work with Democrats again if you listen to him still this election cycle.

You have never been rational nor fair at all. I am perfectly fair to Romney, he chose his career and each step he took in it. A man lives with his decisions, lives with the consequences of those decisions.

astonerii on January 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Tom Brokaw is a Democratic partisan hack. Period. He is loathed by conservatives. Who will Mitt use next in a campaign ad: Dan Rather?
Matt Damon?

Burke on January 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Newt is saying his ads are getting held up at the stations. You know they don’t play em for you if you don’t pay. I heard the Las Vegas guy wasn’t putting up the money after all…if that’s true, it might be what Newt is seeing. You don’t get to pay later for campaign ads that are only good until Tuesday.te>

It has nothing to do with money–they say they are “fact checking ” a certain ad. Bet they aren’t fact checking Romneys!!!
This is the ad they are taking about-Romney involed with Damon who was fined millions for medicare fraud. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRz7LrQfIK4&feature=related
From what I just read the DNC is now attacking Romney on this lol

Bullhead on January 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

From what I just read the DNC is now attacking Romney on this lol

Bullhead on January 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

So the DNC is attacking one of the candidates, meaning they want the other one to be the guy they run against. Any epiphanies coming to you? Anything?

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Compare and contrast

Schadenfreude on January 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I read that from the other thread you posted it on. Quite a comparison, good facts.

bluefox on January 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Bullhead on January 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Yes, that the DNC doesn’t like it’s partisan resources tapped by the other team. Like NBC news.. which has never had a decent thing to say about a republican, other than, “nice concession speech>”

mark81150 on January 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I am beginning to think that Romney is even sleazier than Obama.

redguy on January 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

When the ad came out, I did not think the Romney campaign needed to go to the ethic charge again and again.

Predictably, Brokaw and NBC News are complaining, and demand that the ad be withdrawn, and the campaign is refusing. Now if the whole thing is actually a clever ploy to pick a fight, and make NBC stands down because the clip is in public domain, and the fair use rule allows the use, the campaign is more clever than I gave it credit for.

galtani on January 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I am beginning to think that Romney is even sleazier than Obama.

redguy on January 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I’m resigning myself to the fact Romney’s probably going to be the nominee and this is one of the positives of it for me. McCain ran his “respectful campaign” and never exposed Barack Obama for who and what he is. If nothing else Romney will at least drag him down in the mud and punch him in the face a couple times.

alchemist19 on January 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I have no idea who’ll win Florida, but I hope to God it isn’t Romney.. I’ve had enough of his nasty back biting attack by proxy campaign. It’ll be over by the time it hits Ohio probably..

It’d be nice if they were all closer together so the rest of the states could have a say in who wins.

mark81150 on January 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

mark81150 on January 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Disagree. If you bunch it all up with lots of primaries at the same time then you stack the deck in favor of the big money candidates who can afford to roll out national campaigns from the get-go and you cut off the underfunded Santorum-style candidates who can make it in smaller states where retail politics can help you connect with a larger percentage of voters. The current system isn’t perfect but the alternative isn’t that great either.

alchemist19 on January 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM

This was at a time when liberals like Tom felt no guilt at all about slamming Conservatives because they had almost no kickback or accountability at all and enjoyed the lions share of the media market even more so than today.

Speakup on January 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

How true. It’s only been in the last couple years (thanks mainly to the Internet) that there has been real push back of mainstream propaganda and fakery. I think it was mainly the C4P blog that allowed Palin’s reputation to keep afloat despite the torrent of lies that was published about her for years on end. Sites like HotAir, even though less focused towards any particular individual, provide a similar benefit for conservatives.

Newt was borked and Palinized before there were words for this phenomenon. He was smeared into ruin by the MSM and conservatives never really grasped what was happening or what had happened. For Mitt to latch onto this smear job and claim it for his own is very typical of what he represents.

Burke on January 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Wow, if there was ever any doubt about Romney being a true to heart liberal, his latest campaign tactics shouldclear things up for you.

His distortion of history and fact is makes Debbie Wasserman Schultz look like a well educated nun.

Oxymoron on January 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM

alchemist19 on January 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

That’s the fear, and why Newt did so well.. A great many of us don’t believe Romney will fight like this when Obama is the target. He so far has only offered up comments that were more mild praise than really attacks on Obama. What a great many people mistake as simply a desire for red meat, is a nagging fear Romney will replay McCain’s see no evil campaign.. and even if he sends the VP candidate to do it as McCain did,..

When the media goes ape at the charges raised, Mitt will throw his VP pick under the Bus much like McCain did. Mitt’s career has been softpedaling himself to liberals, he always aims to not outrage them.. that he doesn’t care about outraging conservatives only re-enforces that fear.. something a little bit of red meat would have gone a long ways towards helping him with.

Instead we get lectures on being hicks and rubes, while Romney continues to stoke that fear, continues to say not much of anything about Obama.. while you get the feeling he’d have Newt deported if he could.

So no, no faith in Romney at all.

mark81150 on January 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Oxymoron on January 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM

It started with Newt attacking him on Bain. Alynskyite style back attack from the Romney camp came in the form of a SHUT THE F^CK UP debate point, you are attacking capitalism and are trying to destroy the whole country. That was the beginning of the progressive style of debate that Romney took on. Newt working in the private sector building his own companies were totally fair game though and were not attacks on capitalism because he advised Freddie Mac. Never mind the fact that Romney spent tens of millions of dollars factually lobbying Washington for favorable laws for his company.

Romney is pure bred 100% grade fff progressive liberal to the core.

astonerii on January 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Allahpundit,

Here is some new info on Romney. Watch and weep!

Sparky5253 on January 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Disturbing on the first link. The second link: Almost the same; what are they going to do? Simply edit Obamacare so it becomes Romneycare?

Sarah was right, continue the primary season.

bluefox on January 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

On the other hand, I’ve always wanted to see the lefties get a taste of thier own medicine.

If this is how he’s going to campaign against “the one”,it could end up being very entertaining.

However lowering ourselves to their standards could result in some vote loss among independents.

Oxymoron on January 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

So no, no faith in Romney at all.

mark81150 on January 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Mitt was the dirtiest fighter in both 08 and now. I don’t see why he would change his M.O. In addition he’s seen how the McCain strategy failed and I think he’s too smart of a businessman to deliberately employ a failed strategy like that.

Let’s wait until he gets the nomination and makes a VP pick before we fret about him throwing them under the bus. :) And again, if that’s the McCain strategy and it failed, well, businessmen don’t become successful by repeating the strategies others have failed with.

Who gave us lectures about being rubes and hicks? Did Mitt say something like that and I missed it?

alchemist19 on January 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I’m not going to wallow through all the comments, so forgive me if I am repeating something already said.

It sure seems as NBC added cross-hairs to target Newt’s head.

bains on January 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

DNC and WH dont want Mittens to win as they have bought into the establishment Republicans idea that nobody can win against Obama except Romney-bun
And boyk, some people can be really snarky on here!1

Bullhead on January 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

what’s next Mitt running ads with Obama calling Newt extreme?

unseen on January 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

No, but Obama will become one of those “non-spokespersons” for him. You know like McCain is now, ROFL

bluefox on January 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM

when it comes to campaigning he can be as dirty and mud-slinging as any politician ever.

He will take Obama on and sling and sling and sling.

gerrym51 on January 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

If that’s true, why has he only won one election?

Night Owl on January 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Like Huckabee is uncomfortable with Newty using his quote without permission in a sleezy ad about Romney’s character.

cicerone on January 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Huckabee supports Romney now evidently and doesn’t like it that Newt is using that video. He just appeared on Fox and said he never said it named Romney. Huck, you forgot about Youtube. I’ve seen the video, Oh, yeah it does say Romney, in Huck’s own voice and text. LOL

bluefox on January 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Exit question: How has Matt Drudge’s traffic been affected since Thursday?

Flyovercountry on January 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Last I heard it was down about 2 mil.

bluefox on January 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

alchemist19 on January 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

So no, no faith in Romney at all.

mark81150 on January 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Let me put this in small words so everyone can understand what’s percolating out here in flyby country: People on this board have indicated that Sarah Cuda has gone to the dark side because she hasn’t thrown in with Mitt. I’m with her. I won’t vote for Mitt. If she says she’s anyone but Obama and that means Mitt? I’ll have to change to “UNDECIDED” and if Ron Paul goes 3rd party? I’ll vote for that instead of Mitt. My arrow will not connect for MITT. if that means O? then there better be some very good down ticket tea party candidates or the house gets taken back and so does the senate and the republicans can all drink martini’s in washington dc thanking their lucky stars that boehner cries like a baby and doesn’t do crap when push comes to shove. The republican party will have shattered to equal body parts strewn on the streets and will have to be put together and rebranded as Conservative. If you’re RINO? I guess you’ll reform as democrat rightists a 3rd party and sit in the middle of the road.

athenadelphi on January 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Wow. Well, if that’s what you think.
cynccook on January 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Wow, ‘princess. (oh crap, I’m plagiarizing cynccook)
I can’t believe anyone thinks Obama is still “well liked” or popular.

listens2glenn on January 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

She didn’t say too much wrong. Obama is liked. Or at least his color gives him a bit of a firewall against it. That’s a fact. We don’t like him because we see what he is – we take the time to get information. The average voter just knows what Katie Couric deigns to tell them and we know how that works.

Obama will be difficult to beat. Don’t underestimate his minions and the LSM (redundant). They are going to go all in to muddy the waters and protect his record.

If whoever the candidate is makes one mistake, it’s over. Don’t doubt that. The Obama minions will be all over it and it will be all we see.

So to tut tut at midwestprincesse for being cautious and unimpressed is not fair. She could well turn out to be 100% correct. We just don’t know how well this crop of candidates could do with what’s coming. We’re seeing how they do with each other and it doesn’t fill me with confidence that they’ll be able to withstand the LSM/Obama minions.

kim roy on January 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

News flash Buckee! You compromised your role as a journalist a long time ago, your on NBC! Now stand up, take those knee pads off and use that bib to wipe your face

So produce the clip where you eat crow explaining how you got it all wrong, if your a journalist you should have taken the lead and investigate these charges, and how your investigation lead to the vindication Newt…. perhaps you can do your Roseanne Roseannadanna impression

“Well, Brokaw, it just goes to show you, it’s always something–if it ain’t one thing, it’s another.”

DSchoen on January 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

The Gateway Pundit headline is false. Bondi did not say what Hoft claims she said. In fact Bondi said Romney believes in States rights in regard to the IM.

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Watch the video then. You are not including what Bondi actually said.

bluefox on January 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM

As far as I’m concerned, Newt lost all rights to cry about ethics when he abandoned basic conservative principles with his attacks on property rights and wealth. He’s continued to imply that there’s something intrinsically evil with investing, lending, and paying lower tax rates when you’re entitled to them.a How could he stand up against Obama’s class warfare when he’s taken the same stands to get the nomination?

Now he’s whining that the crowd was too loud at Thursday’s debate? Give us a break. He’s been a jerk both when he was ahead and when when he was losing. The sooner he is out of this thing, the sooner we can get on with defeating Obama.

flataffect on January 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I am really astonished that people here cannot see how devastating the kind of attack above will be to Barack Obama. Mitt is infantilizing him, describing him as a benign child, a hapless albeit affable incompetent.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

That is so great, having a multi-purpose campain strategy. That’s exactly the way his supporters treat anyone not in his corner, except they don’t call us affable. I can tell you, it’s sure working on me!/

Night Owl on January 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

As I’ve said before, the Left and their media allies want Newty to get the nomination. So it’s not surprising that NBC and Brokaw are embarrassed that their own words might now be used to hurt Newty’s chances. You don’t seriously think that they want to face Romney, do you? Come on…

cicerone on January 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

You don’t have a clue do you? You need to get some up to date talking points. You’re not even making any political sense.

bluefox on January 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Night Owl on January 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Oh, get off the cross. Gingrich people are engaging in hyperbolic invective, and Romney people are engaging in hyperbolic invective. I, personally, have tried to limit by comments to why I support Mitt and why I do not support Newt (though I will if he gets the nomination). Yes, there are some bad actors on this board. No doubt about it. But the bad actors are pretty evenly matched on both sides. It would be nice if they stopped, but they won’t, so try ignoring them and make a rational case for your candidate.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM

cicerone on January 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The simple step of reporting that Newt was exonerated would be enough. It would actually be the fair and honest approach to delivering news to the people.

astonerii on January 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I agree. I’m very glad that Romney will be our nominee. Finally someone we can be proud to present. Voters will hear all kinds of horrible things about Romney from the Dems, but when they actually see and hear Mitt for extended periods, the attacks will lose their effect.

Romney comes across as calm, adult, competent and so squeaky clean wholesome and square (in a very good way) it’s almost shocking. He seems like a father or husband that you could always depend on. He will be a relief to voters after the huge disappointment of Obama, who was first sold to the country in a massive blitz of hip celebrity glitz and coolness. Cool, hip Obama is a thing of the past. Today we have Obama making excuses for why things are in such a sorry state. He’s having to try to persuade the country that things really aren’t as bad as they seem. Enter mature, experienced, reassuring Romney, who very clearly has the know-how to fix things, and Obama seems diminished and child-like.

bluegill on January 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory: by Robert Hardaway, a law professor who understands the mentality of Hot Airheads.

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Your link titles do not induce me to click

Night Owl on January 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Basilsbest on January 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Your link titles do not induce me to click

Night Owl on January 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Even so, I did not mean to strike your remark. Sorry.

Night Owl on January 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

bluegill on January 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I have to admit, Romney’s squeaky clean image is a big attraction for me. As I said on another thread a few days ago, I’d vote for Gingrich if he were the nominee, but I’d be embarrassed. A serial adulterer? Ethics violations? Resigned in disgrace? I just do not want to have to defend that when I discuss politics with people. I am sick of defending idiotic Republicans. Really, really sick of it. I thought Clinton was scummy for the same reasons I think Gingrich is, and I sure as hell let my Clinton-supporting friends know that. I really look forward to having a candidate who is a good man, a decent man, a successful man who hasn’t been sucking at the government teat his entire life. I really look forward to that. And I know without the slightest doubt that Obama supporters really, really dread that.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

writeblock on January 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Then how do you explain Ron Paul?

Night Owl on January 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

SANTORUM is the only CONSERVATIVE of the remaining (top) three; why would anyone support PROGRESSIVE Newt or PROGRESSIVE Mitt, when they can support a true conservative? SANTORUM is the best choice and is the only candidate who can substantively, effectively and TRUTHFULLY distinguish himself from obama. The choice is clear – WIN with SANTORUM, or lose with Mitt or Newt.

Pork-Chop on January 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Ethics violations? Resigned in disgrace?

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

How many other wrongfully convicted people have you attacked today you worthless pile of human excrement? He paid for part of the cost of the investigation because he accidentally allowed a single sheet of paper with incorrect information that was submitted by his attorney in his name. The mistake led the investigation to go on longer than it otherwise would have, he paid the difference. As for ethics charges 83/84 were discarded immediately without merit and the 84th was sent to the IRS to adjudicate and they exonerated Newt. What a pile of steaming human excrement you are. Pathetic!

Rational Thought, the poster that brought you

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah… Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah… Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah… Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah… Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah… Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah…

astonerii on January 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Ummm … what? How does a governor “let a judge” make a ruling?

It’s called separation of powers, in case you’re interested.

nukemhill on January 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I won’t add to the vitriol, just stopped by to say how sad this all is. I’m starting to think Republicans deserve another 4 years of Obama- never in a million years did I think I would say that. :(

kg598301 on January 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

This will backfire, no doubt. First, NBC ripping Newt won’t turn conservatives, who cannot STAND the liberal media, against Gingrich. Second, the ad, naturally, does not mention that Newt was cleared of all of these ethics charges that were leveled against Newt by the Democrats who wanted to destroy him after he took down their beloved House Speaker Jim Wright in the 80s. This garbage could turn this sure-thing Romney victory into a nail-biter.

LevinFan90 on January 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Ummm … what? How does a governor “let a judge” make a ruling?

It’s called separation of powers, in case you’re interested.

Well we actually have a candidate who doesn’t believe in separation of powers, by his own account. That would be Newt “Let’s impeach judges we don’t like for political reasons” Gingrich.

Esoteric on January 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Romney’s a dishonest campaigner, he’s running very negative campaign designed to drag his opponents down b/c he can’t make a positive conservative case for himself b/c he’s more liberal than Mike Castle while in political office.

I want to see another Republican run in the general election…a Jindal, a DeMint, somebody so we have a choice that doesn’t include the government healthcare twins Romney and Obama.

Dr. Tesla on January 29, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Prime example of Romney’s campaign tactics. Romney’s campaign also has Jason Chaffetz, Bay Buchannan, Connie Mack, etc. shadowing Newt’s appearances–literally stalking the campaign. The Hill reports that Newt’s campaign manager–I think Hammonds is his name–acknowledged Chaffetz’ presence after he had been showing up at various rallies and asked him to join them on the Q & A part. Of course Chaffetz declined. Does this sound like a confident Romney campaign to you?

KickandSwimMom on January 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Bay Buchannan is a b!tch on wheels.

DoubleClutchin on January 29, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Brokaw sucks , don’t waste your time on him. Back to the Palin thread 2000 or bust!

Bmore on January 29, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Brokaw and NBC worrying about their “journalistic reputation” is akin to Monica Lewinsky worrying about rug burns.

bluesdoc70 on January 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Ironically enough, Bill and Newt were working the same angle at the same time. They were both looking outside of their marriage for something more and they found it.

Bill got prosecuted for it while Newt………..had to resign for it.

Newt is just as slimy and indecent as Bill was. Newt simply wasn’t impeached for it in the public light. That’s the only difference.

We on the right can’t be this stupid, can we? Nominate Newt and throw away a decade of work and your personal principles in the process.

Mitt has never been accused of being anti-family and never will. He has been honest to them and their is no question about it. Does that not tell you something about him as a person?

Newt and Bill are the same animal that can both go to Hades.

JoeinTX on January 29, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Tom Brokaw endorses Romney. In other news,
HERMAN CAIN ENDORSES GINGRICH!

heh

Czar of Defenestration on January 29, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Del Dolemonte on January 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Newt and Mitt are 4 years apart and Newt is the same age as Reagan when he ran. Younger voters never turn out, they useful for Caucuses because of their energy and lack of a job and will benefit Ron Paul more than Romney.

According to all polls, Newt’s biggest support comes from older voters, especially Seniors, who are very familiar with his record as speaker.

I am no fan of either of these guys and I certainly see much hypocricy in the Newt supporters, but you Romney diehards are either complete imbeciles or pathological liars. It must really suck having to back a vanilla rino like Romney, who has NO record to promote, against another rino who actually does have conservative achievements under his belt.

This is nothing more than an argument over electability, yet we’ve seen Romney candidates before in Dole, Bush Sr., and Gerald Ford. We’ve also seen the Democrats put up their own Romney recently in John Kerry. Without a record of achievement to run on, or a charismatic cult of personality to charm the voters, he is an empty suit. We’re freaking screwed.

Daemonocracy on January 29, 2012 at 6:59 AM

My take.

kingsjester on January 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Anyone who doesn’t get Romney’s strategy probably flunked Civics 101. This is an Obama killer ad.

aloysiusmiller on January 29, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Romney’s use of the Tom Brokaw clip just confirms for me that we cannot have Romney as the nominee. Newt was cleared of all but one ethics charge and hte one he wasn’t, he should have been.

Romney is a liberal. He voted for Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale and Paul Tsongas while Newt was an important figure in the Reagan Revolution and who would lead the GOP to be the majority party the House for the first time in years. Romney, as Massachusetts Governor, raised taxes, was adamantly pro-aborion rights, appointed with few exceptions pro-abortion rights Democrats to the state judiciary and championed RomneyCare, the precursor to ObamaCare. Romney is also the perfect foil for Obama class warfare politics. Just say no to Romney, or you will have four more years of Obama.

Phil Byler on January 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Phil Byler on January 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Exactly why I will not vote in the general if Romney is the GOP candidate. I can’t understand why anyone would think a Romney White House would have policies that are very different than a second term Obama White House.

As I have said many times – good-bye GOP.

Over50 on January 29, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Mittens is just bound and determined to turn off all of America.
I say don’t stand in his way!
And I must concur, Tom BrokeJaw is a partisan hack and an imperious caricature.
Huntley, Brinkley, Chancellor he aint.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM

“Romney is a liberal.
(snip)
Just say no to Romney, or you will have four more years of Obama.”

Phil Byler on January 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Excellent summation, Phil.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Ethics violations? Resigned in disgrace?

Rational Thought on January 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

That was really a lot about nothing.

CW on January 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM

The Brokaw spot is typical of how Romney is going about “winning(buying) the election.
He is buying it with false,degrading ,unethical commercials and basically lying his way to the nomination.
Newt had 84 ethics violations logged at him as Speaker of the House. The left was desperate to stop his conservative agenda and were willing to try anything 83 were bogus. The 84th was screwed up by a lawyer and Newt decided to get the entire thing over with by pleading guilty and told Republican members of the House to vote for censure and a fine so they could get it over with and get back to the important business of the House of Representatives.
“This small fact” is seldom if ever presented by the DBM/far left/RINO establishment that is hell bent on installing Romney as he simply buys the election.

rodguy911 on January 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Are you kidding? If you’re a Christian you believe that a man died and came back to life. You believe that the universe was created in 7 days, you believe that a virgin conceived and gave birth to a child who was a deity, the living embodiment of an omniscient being of which there is no objective proof even exists. You go on a little thing called faith. How dare you call the Mormon religion “outlandish” what you just mean is “not what Christians believe” but we believe some very strange stuff on faith.

libfreeordie on January 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Elliot Abrams lies in his hit piece about Gingrich.
THAT’S THE ROMNEY CAMP FOR YOU.

UNLEASH GINGRICH IN 2012!

Czar of Defenestration on January 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Wait, is Mitt – the great Conservative Hope (*choke*) suggesting that NBC is a paragon of journalistic credibility – enough to be used as a reputable source for much of anything?

Wow, I feel better about Mitt as a true conservative candidate already!

/sarc

Midas on January 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

This article describes Romney’s campaign tactics to take Newt down in Florida~

kg598301 on January 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

libfreeordie on January 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Phew!
‘Tis indeed a palate cleanser for a Sabbath morn. /sarc
Just let it all now and maybe you’ll feel better.
In the meantime, read a book or two and tell us why Grandpappy Romney moved the family to Mexico.
Tickles yer fancy, eh? I hear that Arizona City and Colorado City are a few of the last holdouts.
If you have enough money, maybe you could join them.
Those young men wearing white shirts and ties while riding on their bikes in your neighborhood must have struck a chord.
(why don’t any of them enlist in our military?)

Faith is faith. The real Christian faith only allows for some deviation. That would include “creationism” for you atheists and assorted other apologists.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The first time I saw this add I thought it may backfire on Romney not because anything brokaw might say but because of brokaw’s obvious delight in reporting this news makes Gingrich a very sympathetic figure. It illustrates exactly the point Gingrich keeps making in the debates (which anyone with a rational mind has understood for a long time)that the media is relentless in its attacks against republicans and consrvatives. I’ve never liked brokaw, he is a mental midget that had books ghost written that he too credit for.

peacenprosperity on January 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Why would anyone want the opinion of Tom Brokaw on anyone’s ethics? He’s unethical, as witnessed by his fraudulent career as a lib-biased partisan Democrap who took money by posing as an objective journalist.

Unethical. Fraud. Drooling POS.

Jaibones on January 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

If there is one thing all Conservatives and Republicans agree on, it’s the biased media. So who does Mitt turn to… Tom Brokaw, one of the most visible people in the media biased against Conservatives and Republicans.

Hey Mitt, if Tom Brokaw is your friend, you’re not getting my vote!

RJL on January 29, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Brokaw and NBC are, apparently, “extremely uncomfortable” with it.

Fair is fair, we’ve been “extremely uncomfortable” with NBC and Brokaw for decades.

RJL on January 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM

jfs756 on January 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM

acorn on January 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM
They ignore that Jesus taught that he is God.
Mormons are a blasphemous cult not just a cult.

Plantnerd on January 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

jfs756 on January 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

jfs756 on January 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Romney also believes that Satan is Our Lords’ brother. They also add to our Final Authority, which is God’s word, the Bible. it is called “the Book of Mormon.” The Bible tells us 4 times not to add to nor take from His written word.

Deut. 12:4,6 ; Deut. 12:32; Pro. 30:6; Rev.22:6

Shain1611 on January 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM

On the one hand there is the Southern tolerance for populists like Huckabee and Newt who are every bit as compromised in their way as Rudy and Romney are in theirs–and at the same time there’s complete indiffernce to the kind of experitise and fiscal conservatism brought to the process by candidates from less homogeneous–and less socially intolerant–blue states.

writeblock on January 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Wrong. None of them are big government statists in the way that Romney is. None have a record of governance that is anywhere near as far left as Romney’s.

It’s a regional struggle fueled by deep-rooted prejudices.

writeblock on January 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Wrong. But I like the Democrat talking points. If we don’t like a center-left statist, it must mean we are racist or bigoted. The idiocy of such arguments is truly astounding.

One example of all this is the lie told from the beginning–that “Romney would be another McCain.” In fact he’d be another Rudy, strong in the polls and in the central swing states.

writeblock on January 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I think it is pretty presumptuous to compare Romney to Giuliani. Romney’s use of governance in Mass to justify his center-left statism is totally destroyed by the fact that Giuliani governed in an area that is just as far left as Romney, but didn’t employ the big government “solutions” that Romney did. And Giuliani was done in by poor strategy (which is too bad because I supported Giuliani).

This was never true of Rudy and is not now true of Romney. It’s the South, on the other hand, that keeps filtering out our strongest candidates in the name of social conservatism while giving a pass to fiscal moderates like Bush and Dole and McCain–and now Newt who attacks Romney from the left.

writeblock on January 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Romney’s record of governance is about as far left as it could get in American politics. It is nearly as far left as Obama’s. Show me where a policy implemented by Romney is significantly to the right of a comparable policy implemented by Obama. To pretend that Romney’s biggest problem in this cycle isn’t that he has the free market instincts of Barack Obama is pure delusion.

besser tot als rot on January 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Too bad Romney didn’t get a chance to use Dan Rather’s Texas Air National Guard segment in a primary against Bush.

besser tot als rot on January 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM