Tough new Gingrich ad: “What kind of man?”

posted at 4:20 pm on January 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

So psyched is Team Newt about this spot that they started pushing it to the media this morning before the vid was even done, sending around the script instead. It’s good, but the image of Romney as a ruthless, slippery politician who’ll say whatever he has to in order to win is, I fear, already priced into his stock. In fact, just as this ad hit YouTube, BuzzFeed came up with yet another example:

The campaign makes a practice of whitewashing transcripts and stories before circulating to the press, a practice that has become familiar to reporters covering the candidate.

For example, last Monday, during a press call with Tim Pawlenty, a Miami Herald reporter asked the campaign surrogate about Romney’s investments in Freddie Mac…

Pawlenty punted on the question–saying that he’d “have to ask the campaign to follow up with you.” But when the Romney press shop e-mailed out a transcript of the call later that day, the exchange was nowhere to be found…

The cherry-picking extends to the news and opinion articles the campaign forwards to reporters as well.

Remember, this is a guy whose very first attack ad against Obama late last year was built around a ridiculously out-of-context quote. If you nominate Romney, that’s what you’re getting. The thing is, conservatives want him to be this way in the general against O, right? One of the sorest spots on the right about the 2008 campaign was the sense that McCain didn’t hit Obama as hard as he could; that fear persists with Mitt because he dutifully concedes The One’s good intentions whenever he’s asked, which irritates the hell out of the “Obama is evil” crowd but is defensible strategy in appealing to undecideds who don’t hate Obama the way many grassroots righties do. Maybe we shouldn’t fear that Romney will go easy on O, though. Like Obama himself, Mitt tends to play the nice guy on the stump while letting his ad team and other surrogates be as cutthroat as they need to be with his opponents. He does what he thinks he needs to do to win, which is alienating if you’re a Newt fan but maybe not so alienating if you’re a Republican who’s most interested in ousting O. All of which is to say, while this spot does a nifty job of making Romney less likable, I’m not sure that the big conclusion on electability is true.

Besides, how receptive are voters really to attacks on a politician’s honesty? It’s like attacking a pol for influence peddling: In exceptional cases it might matter (the Freddie Mac fingerpointing between Mitt and Newt is exceptional because of Freddie’s role in the housing crisis and wider recession), but to some degree voters cynically expect that behavior. Exit question: How much of an effect can any one ad have at this point when Romney’s outspending Newt by this much?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

and so the potential voter is motivated how? to vote FOR obama or stay home? that is what we are to assume in this logic? someone who wants obamacare repealed will vote FOR its author OR stay home and guaratee his re-election. does that seem logical to you? thats all i am trying to figure out. how the hell could anyone believe that. really.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Conservatives will hear from Romney’s mouth tens of thousands of times things that turn them off. Enough will stay home.
Independents will hear Romney say one thing and see he said or did something else entirely in the past with no legitimate reason in their minds for the change and will stay home or vote Obama.
Democrats will just simply be rallied around the flag so to speak as Obama hammers home the “worse” America Romney will stand for.

Me, I will convince my 28 member extended family to vote Obama and let the Democrats take the responsibility for the next four years.

You can b!tch and moan all you want about how unfair it is, but that is what will happen with Romney, not that it will not be used against anyone else, but Romney was the only one on the stage last night where that kind of attack will have a larger than barely measurable effect, because he honestly is not being honest about who he is.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Seriously, again. Ask yourself “Should anyone have the power to force me into a contract against my will?”

states require you to get a drivers license and buy car insurance.
so the answer is YES

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

JohnGalt23 on January 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

It did interfere with contracts. Insurance that was not expensive enough was cancelled on the buyers.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM

states require you to get a drivers license and buy car insurance.
so the answer is YES

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Just for the fact that you breath?

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Is Romney the guy who has the guts or even a desire to take on the file pushers and not back down when they push back ?

burrata on January 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If we make him he will. I am not so sure about Newt.

CW on January 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

states require you to get a drivers license and buy car insurance.
so the answer is YES

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

no they don’t.
you can walk around all your life w/o either.
and in some states (maine for instance) you can even buy a car w/o insurance.
its only to REGISTER the vehicle that proof is needed.

dmacleo on January 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Gingrich’s bizarre attacks on Romney’s personal wealth have really turned a lot of people off. Gingrich sounds more and more like a liberal every day.

Pork-Chop on January 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM

states require you to get a drivers license and buy car insurance.
so the answer is YES

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Yes, but you have the option of not driving an automobile. You will be forced to buy health insurance of the government’s liking and you will not have the option of defining. Your analogy is invalid.

rplat on January 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I support Romney (cue the epithets), but if Gingrich gets the nomination, I will fight and vote for him.

If Santorum gets the nomination, I will fight and vote for him.

If Paul gets the nomination, I will fight and vote for him.

Is that an unreasonable position?

RightWay79 on January 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM

When we get this kind of stuff coming from the Daily KOS, it’s time to ask if Obama isn’t laughing already …

As you might have seen, yesterday Mitt Romney’s Super PAC began blasting out an ad attacking Newt Gingrich for only having been mentioned once—and not in a flattering light—in Ronald Reagan’s diaries. Today, National Review stepped it up a notch and actually claims Newt Gingrich “repeatedly insulted” Ronald Reagan.

The thing that makes these attacks so absurd is that they are being made on behalf of Mitt Romney, who wasn’t a Republican when Ronald Reagan was president and specifically said in his 1994 U.S. Senate campaign that he was not seeking public office to support either Reagan or George H.W. Bush. Romney ended up getting trounced by 17 points.

Newt Gingrich, meanwhile, was busy leading Republicans to their first victory in forty years in the House. And the following year, Nancy Reagan credited him with taking up the mantle of conservatism, saying Barry Goldwater had passed it to Ronald Reagan, and that Ronald Reagan had passed it to Newt Gingrich.

I don’t say any of this to defend Newt. Rather, I’m pointing it out as an illustration of the pathetic absurdity of Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign.

This smells of a whole boatload of folks who have sold out conservatism. No wonder Palin is on the outside in this election cycle.

J_Crater on January 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Is that an unreasonable position?

RightWay79 on January 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Right there with you RightWay

msmveritas on January 27, 2012 at 6:21 PM

JohnGalt23 on January 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

well most insurance agreements or contracts if you will have a method for cancelling the contract. by requiring insurance they have in a sense required a person to continue a contract they might want to cancel. even if you argue they can cancel that contract they are still required to then make a new contract. which is prohibited to the states.

chasdal on January 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Is that an unreasonable position?

RightWay79 on January 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM

It is not unreasonable. It is what your values say to do, all the more power to you.

My values say that a vote for Romney will devalue my values. Is that an unreasonable position? Must I be a Republican before I am a Christian, or before I am a conservative?

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

dude, 2010 called it’s wants it argument back! c’mon, keep up here, that line of reasoning was shown to be wrong very very long ago.

chasdal on January 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

J_Crater on January 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM

When DailyKos is defending Newt? Step away from the monitor and think about why they might be doing that.

Palin had every opportunity to get in this. She raised money, bought a bus and took the entire media on a wild goose chase in a big lead up to the release of her movie. More power to her, but she is not on the outside of this because of Romney or the people like me who defended her endlessly. She chose it.

msmveritas on January 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

If we make him he will. I am not so sure about Newt.

CW on January 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Romney as an individual is pre-disposed to getting along and backing down, unless it is a group thing inside a board room .
He will never get down in the trenches and fight dirty against the feces flingers , and he would rather fight canservatives than Obama’s minions.
What we need today , if we want to clean up our country of marxist and islamic filth in every part of our governemt is someone who knows the government inside out and will fight to win.
Romney will never do that because he doesn’t even know what to fight for

burrata on January 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Gingrich attacking Romney on character? It reminds me of 1994 in MA when Kennedy did the same thing. Only in politics would Kennedy and Gingrich have the chutzpah to compare their character with Romney. Like Mitt or not, he has lived his personal life in a way that reflects Conservative values. Gingrich?

BTW, losing to Kennedy by 17 in 1994 was actually considered a pretty good showing. A big deal was made about Splash having to actually get out and campaign rather than focus on helping other Dems.

The Opinionator on January 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Gingrich is melting down. Babbling on about grandmothers, grandmothers, grandmothers as if all the ILLEGAL aliens in the U.S. were 80 year old grandmothers here legally, or legally enough to suit Plantation Gingrich, and Romney hates grandmothers, and now he is saying, because Romney exposed him as a liar and flake, that Romney is the most dishonest Presidential candidate ever. P.T. Barnum Gingrich is melting down.

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

And Newt Gingrich doesn’t devalue your values? I wouldn’t want my son to have your values.

haner on January 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

You got the Romney talking points too? I thought it was just me.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

haner on January 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I would hope you would not. I know how much damage it would cause you to have your son making money in the real world creating real wealth that people really value.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Who believes they can dictate to a state how it should run it’s affairs?

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

You got the Romney talking points too? I thought it was just me.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I need no “talking points” from anyone. I see and I observe.

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

msmveritas on January 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

They aren’t “defending Newt”, they are showing you how absurd Romney is, even dumb liberals see through his ploy…
Just because someone does something stupid, and it is pointed out, doesn’t meant that person supports the other party…

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Who believes they can dictate to a state how it should run it’s affairs?

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Gingrich is an expert on affairs, just not civil affairs.

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Wow. What a weak, weak ad. “His own voice is on the ad – approving the ad.” Well…yeah. They all do that. At the end. It’s kind of a thing with political ads. And he voted for the dem in that primary in order to get the weakest dem on the ticket. There was no Republican running in the dem primary – so it’s Newt who is lying. If this is what Obama is going to do to Romney, I’m starting to think Romney is going to have an epic landslide victory. Painting Romney as some evil, dishonest political animal is comical. He is none of those things. Not even close. So efforts to do so look absurd.

Rational Thought on January 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

haner on January 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

They prefer the values of an admitted corrupt politician with a long history of lying, infidelities, corruption, and erratic behavior to the values of a honest stable man with a long history of fiscal conservatism, honorable service to the public, his family, and his spouse.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Is that an unreasonable position?

RightWay79 on January 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Seems to be to alot of folks around here.

Not to me.

ABO

BacaDog on January 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Who believes they can dictate to a state how it should run it’s affairs?

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Who believes the government can force you to buy something you don’t need?
Who believes the government can fine you if you don’t buy what they say you have to buy?
Who believes the government should take your money and pay for abortions?
Well I guess you do, and Mitt does, and most of his followers do…

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I need no “talking points” from anyone. I see and I observe.

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I tend to think the reason Newt isolated that specific group was because it is SMALL. So, either you got talking points and are spouting them nonsensically as bots are a wont to do, or you are an incredibly dull mental midget. I do not see much room for any other options, and none at all that paint a pretty picture.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

You mean like ducking the draft and going to France…that kind of service?

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Go ahead and point to that long history of fiscal conservatism.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

He has corruption in the coop, hate on the hoof, taqiyya on the tongue and bats in the belfry — that’s Gingrich’s campaign strategy!

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

You mean like ducking the draft and going to France…that kind of service?

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

At least Romney did a stint at service. Gingrich dodged all drafts. He draft dodged Vietnam, EVEN THOUGH HE HAS SAID HE WAS VERY MUCH IN FAVOR OF THAT WAR!!!

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Rational Thought on January 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

So it’s ok to say, “I’m Mitt Romney and I approve this ad”, if you don’t know what the content of the ad says?

Flora Duh on January 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Turn the current slate of candidates over and shake it like an Etch-A-Sketch.

Fallon on January 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Looks like Romney is going to win in Florida by around 10 points. Gingrich should then go away, but will probably remain to stink up the place as much as he can for as long as he can.

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

They prefer the values of an admitted corrupt politician

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I’ve seen you post this several times. Could you please direct me to the quote of him making this admission?

btw, you may want to listen to this.

Flora Duh on January 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Oh, and one more thing.

I absolutely despise the current administration and most everything they stand for. I could care less what Newt is saying about Mitt or what Mitt is saying about Newt. Hell, this shows me they both have the nasty to take on Obama. Nothing they do now will even compare to the lies, slander and nut-cutting they’ll see against the Democrats and their minions.

Quite frankly, our nominee could stand on the Capital steps in a tutu, getting a BJ from Bwarney Fwank while shooting puppies and smoking a joint and I’d still vote for them.

Nobody could be worse for this country than the current bunch of crooks in the west wing and in the Dem side of Congress.

But, that’s just me.

Screw my principles for 2012.

ABO.

BacaDog on January 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

This is what I just do not get. Newt is no conservative; he’s to the left of Romney on many issues, not the least of which is amnesty for illegal immigrants. I really think it is that he seems angrier, yells louder, so to a lot of folks all that noise somehow equals conservatism. It doesn’t, of course, but a lot of people seem to have convinced themselves that it does.

Rational Thought on January 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

states require you to get a drivers license and buy car insurance.
so the answer is YES

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

rplat on January 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM

If you can guarantee that you will never use any state medical services by signing a pledge… or by being Amish, etc…. then there should be, and usually is, an opt out.

If break your pledge and later you use state medical services, your estate should be dunned for the amount involved plus a penalty to 10% of your assets.

Just to make sure people take their word seriously.

You don’t have to drive, but you do have to live.

Which always involves medical bills.

And the people of the state- Mass. in this case- voted and decided that they didn’t want to have to cover deadbeats.

States have rights that cannot be applied federally without a Consitutional change.

profitsbeard on January 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

i know where both candidates stand one the issue today. i also know where both candidates stood on the issue back in 2007. one of them changed his stance unexplicably. so at least i know where one will stand if elected while the other may change his stand again. like he has changed his stance many many times.

both have held office, one did many things to push conservative issues while in the office, the other did nothing and in fact signed legislation advancing the liberal agenda.

chasdal on January 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Sorry to hear that, and I feel sorry for your sister. And yes, Mormonism is most definitely a cult.
jfs756 on January 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Seriously? Go f*** yourself. I don’t need you and your religious bigotry feeling “sorry” for my sister. Not only did she consciously choose to be Mormon of her own volition, that church has done more for her than ANY of your standard Protestant religions ever did. Through serious physical disability, through poverty, etc, the Mormon church was there for her. I don’t necessarily agree with their beliefs, but they’ve done more for her than you other “non-cult” Christians. Who the f*** are you to judge?

Oh, I forgot. That’s what you people like to do.

Vyce on January 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I am very disappointed in Hot Air’s inability to be even-handed between Mitt and Newt. For example,
AP buys into Romney’s “influence peddling” attack on Newt, even though that is nebulous, undocumented, and is stepping back from the original and false Romney claim that Newt lobbied. Yet AP asks what’s the big deal about Mitt being dishonest. That defense of Mitt, of course, depends on Mitt being a politician, which Mitt claims, falsely, that he is not.
Too bad for the disparate treatment of these two candidates: It has done a disservice to Hot Air.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

states require you to get a drivers license and buy car insurance.
so the answer is YES

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

If you want to make the lame “car insurance” mandate, you’re simply wrong. If you want to use it as an example, a more accurate analogy would be mandating everyone who didn’t have a car or want one, to buy a car insurance policy to help offset the cost for those that do which to have a car and drive.

Mimzey on January 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM

jfs756 on January 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You really are a piece of shit, aren’t you.

BacaDog on January 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Oh, I forgot. That’s what you people like to do.

Vyce on January 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Please do not think that all Christians has the same narrow-minded and bigoted view that jfs756 has. We don’t.

Flora Duh on January 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

If Santorum gets the nomination, I will fight and vote for him.

If Paul gets the nomination, I will fight and vote for him.

Is that an unreasonable position?

RightWay79 on January 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Me, too. I’m supporting Romney because I think he’s a decent, honorable guy, and I think he’s more electable, and from time to time I try to explain my thinking on that here.

But if it’s Gingrich, I’ll support and vote for him. Ditto for Santorum and Paul. And let me say that I do not like Santorum’s religious zealotry, and I think Paul is nuts on foreign policy — and I will still vote for either man as supremely better than Barack Obama. Immeasurably better. We’re having a contentious primary. Primary battles are like that. But I hope like hell conservatives can rally around whomever the nominee is once the dust settles. Any of the four men left standing will be better for America and the cause of human liberty than what we have now. Miles better.

Rational Thought on January 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Weak ad, in my opinion. Mountain-molehill stuff.

Weird to watch the ad, scroll down to comment, and discover there is a whole anti-Mormon thing going on. 21st century and all.

alice on January 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

But, that’s just me.

Screw my principles for 2012.

ABO.

BacaDog on January 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I am with you 100%.

The Opinionator on January 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

You mean like ducking the draft and going to France…that kind of service?

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Seriously? He was on a Mormon mission.

The Opinionator on January 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I think all the Republican candidates have agreed on one thing -
they all believe the others will lose to Obama.

albill on January 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Romney supporters, do you have any more hatred in your hearts ? you are spewing it on Newt day in day out, replace it with forgiveness don’t you read the Bible or any other book that teaches you common humane comassion? your guy is winning he is the best he is hero he has a nice family so why do you want to destroy Newt , you already can start celebrating he is the nominee. Sheesh just give it a break.

evergreenland on January 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

So, if I understand you correctly, if Romney is the nominee, you will do everything in your power to get Obama elected because he is a Democrat and you want to be able to blame the Democrats when he destroys the country. You’ll be happy to put the country $30 trillion dollars in debt just so you can say it’s the Democrats fault.

If people aren’t bright enough to see the light now, after Obama’s first 4 years, why would you think they would be any more rational after another 4 years-look at Krugman-according to him,$16 trillion isn’t enough debt, we should be borrowing more. They’ll say it’s the evil Republican do nothing congress blocking Obama’s every move. I had one colleague say that when the Senate Democrats had a filibuster proof majority.

Has Romney voted for legislation supporting partial birth abortion? Obama has.

Has Romney managed a business that could balance its budget?

I am coming to really despise Newt, and honestly think he may be just as bad as Obama if elected president, but I will still vote for him over Obama, because I don’t think he can be worse (unless he really tries to do the moon colony). Please, if you can’t vote against Obama, just stay home.

talkingpoints on January 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM

But, that’s just me.

Screw my principles for 2012.

ABO.

BacaDog on January 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM
I am with you 100%.

The Opinionator on January 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

For the greater good.

talkingpoints on January 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Flora Duh on January 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I’m technically Christian myself. But facts are what they are. That idiot can call Mormons a cult all he wants, they were the ones who stepped up and helped my sister more than anyone when she was going through the worst points of her life.

Other Christian? Not so much.

Vyce on January 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM

states require you to get a drivers license and buy car insurance.
so the answer is YES

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

You do know that not one of the 57 states require all citizens to purchase an automobile. Thus, without the auto, you don’t need the DL or the auto insurance.

So, the answer, is NO! Tell me, you voted for Obama in the last election.

they lie on January 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Has Romney voted for legislation supporting partial birth abortion? Obama has.

Has Romney managed a business that could balance its budget?

talkingpoints on January 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Ok, well as long as we got that understood. You vote for who you vote for, I will vote for who I will vote for.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

What religion is Newt, BTW? Anglican?

I’m thinking not Catholic.

NoDonkey on January 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM
recent catholic convert.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

And we know he’s a really good Catholic because his wife got him to convert. And we know she’s a really good Catholic because she would never have an affair with a married man and get him to leave his wife. …oh, wait…

talkingpoints on January 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

The “real people” against the evil rich who don’t belong into the “real world”. That’s Gingrich Conservatism.

Gelsomina on January 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Newt is projecting his own characteristics onto Romney. This ad is more of an insight into Gingrich than an expose of Romney.

jeanie on January 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM

VorDaj on January 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Mitt never served in the military…

Seriously? He was on a Mormon mission.

The Opinionator on January 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Okay, one more time….
Mormon missionaries were never exempt from the draft, until the Vietnam war, and Mitt’s father was the head of a committee to lobby the Selective Service to redefine Mormon Missionaries…they were redefined under a new category that allowed them to evade the draft. It was a negotiation done to prevent Mishies from serving.
After that was put into play, Mitt was miraculously chosen to do missionary work in France.
LDS was not a “pacifist” religion, like the Mennonites, who were exempt but also would accept civil service jobs as long as it did not involve wearing a uniform or being armed, or involved in armed conflict.
LDS was not in that category, so they had to do something to keep their kids from being drafted and defending the nation.

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM

talkingpoints on January 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Glad you are the final arbiter as to what is a “good” Catholic…good grief, is Mitt a “good Mormon”, after being caught telling lies in a national ad no less…double good grief.

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

How is Mitt a “good Mormon” if he supported the slaughter of unborn humans?

Rose on January 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Gelsomina on January 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I am not against the rich. Newt is not against the rich. He wants their taxes to be 0% for capital gains. I want their taxes to be 0% for capital gains. I want mine to be 0% for capital gains as well. Maybe you could find where Newt argued against the rich, particularly where that argument was not of a genesis of a wealth attack by Romney.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Newt did not dodge the draft. He was never drafted. He registered as was his duty and they found him ineligible because he was a parent. Later this was no longer the policy but it was at that time.

Rose on January 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Although, now that I think about it, if you do get your 28 member family to vote for Obama and he wins by 28 votes, it will actually be your fault. But you’ll still be able to say it’s the Democrats, and it will only cost you and your extended family $40K each, so it’s all good.

talkingpoints on January 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

talkingpoints on January 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Has Romney voted for legislation supporting partial birth abortion? Obama has.

Has Romney managed a business that could balance its budget?

talkingpoints on January 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

So, what happened, the first sock puppet poster’s mandatory lunchbreak happened and the fill in did not look around long enough to see he already asked the question and failed to see I already answered? I suppose you might have short term memory loss. I would rather think that you just are a poor poor person in need of any job and someone was willing to pay you to be a sockpuppet. I am glad you have a job. You go dude!

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Romney is in the wrong party. He should run as a liberal progressive he already has a record they would love. He would get the added benefit of not having to pretend he has “evolved” his views over time as well. Win Win.

Let’s face it folks Romney is a loser. After 6 years and tens of millions of dollars spent what has he accomplished? Lost Iowa twice with fewer votes this time than 2008. Lost South Carolina twice with his major competitor taking over 40% of the vote in a four way race. His twenty point lead in the Florida polls has evaporated in less than a week. Most telling of all though 70% of the republican base still prefers someone else. Romney claims he loves America and is running to help the country. Well here is your chance Willard. Take down the attack ads and stop the smear campaign. Accept the fact that conservatives just aren’t that in to you and end this perpetual presidential campaign of yours. Endorse our nominee and help us defeat Obama. This would be a selfless act and deny your personal ambitions but what do you say? Do you have the type of character governor Perry has already demonstrated? I doubt it seriously but we’ll see.

iidvbii on January 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

ok man. if THATS the deal, thats all i wnated to know. i believe yyou to be wrong. conservatives will NOT stay home. in any numbers. tthey KNOW how dangerous this doofus is. they will vote for whoever is on our side, hold their nose, and hope that the house pulls them whoever it is along. you can choose to sit it out. thats fine. its a vote for destruction. personally, i would kick your butt if i could if you actually did that. you are a poor citizen in my book. nothing personal. seriously. i would urge you NOT to do that. and i just dont think there are enough folks who just dont give damn, as you do, to throw this country down the toilet. to just throw in the towel. screw it. most of us CARE. we wont let it happen. i have kkids. i wont let them down. i will fight for them; you can stay home. thats ok. i think more pople care about the future MORE than you do. we’re all guessing. but i have more faith in US than you do. and in spite of you, we’ll be ok. we’d rather have you than work to overcome you.
ok, so now indys. who WANT oabamcare repealed in vast numbers. you think they will stay home or vote for oabam. in my mind thats crazy talk dude. absolutely crazy. to beleive that you’d have to have a low opinion of them. they will vote FOR oabama or stay home and let him be re-elected and guaratee ACA implementation. that doesnt make sense. no thinking person would do that.
dems, they are demoralized. beyond belief. the mandate is goig to be struck dwon. THATS whats going to rally them. partially; not enough. if its not, they are gone. there is no intensity for this doofus.
i am not bitching and moaning. i am trying to game out the logic here. and you actually flabbergast me. your postion. defeatist. peace brother.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Answer the question or shut up.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM

So, what happened, the first sock puppet poster’s mandatory lunchbreak ………….
astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

hey, whoa man. is that me?? sock puppet?? thanks dude. i thought we were on the same side. its cool. vote for nobody. i am not pissed at you. but i will change your mind. i have hope for everyone. peace bro.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Go ahead and point to that long history of fiscal conservatism.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

The history has been posted here dozens upon dozens of times. The same behavior is praised when others do it, but when it is Romney, it is ridiculed etc.

Besides, you have already shown yourself to resort to violent rhetoric when you are shown the proof. So I’ll do you a favor and not do it again so you don’t get the attention of the mods.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You just said that there are people who don’t create real wealth and that they don’t live in the real world. Who are these people?

Gelsomina on January 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Not you.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

NoDonkey on January 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM

AMEN!!!

conservative tarheel on January 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM

states require you to get a drivers license and buy car insurance.
so the answer is YES

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

No they don’t a-hole. You don’t have to drive a car. You pay for the privilege. It is OPTIONAL.

Romneyites don’t seem to understand the word OPTIONAL.

KirknBurker on January 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Yes, some conservatives WILL STAY HOME.

Because they have better things to do than vote liberal.

KirknBurker on January 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Not you.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

damn. it kinda had a soft cuddly conotation. something i have never been accused of.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Yes, some conservatives WILL STAY HOME.

Because they have better things to do than vote liberal.

KirknBurker on January 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

not many. because most CARE about this country. your attitude is very “republican”; defeatist. there are more fighters. that wont quit. pick a side.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

What is with you people?

Mitt is NOT a conservative.

Mitt IS a liberal. That is the way he governs.

He will have LOW turnout in key battleground states.

He will NOT win Ohio.

And when he loses Ohio, he will lose the election because Obama would only have to hold onto New Mexico and Iowa of the Bush 2004 states and it is over.

Quit pretending 1) that he can win, and 2) that he will grab leviathan and make a 180 degree turn to Constitutional government.

It simply is not going to happen.

Focus on your local elections, state elections and Congress where could pad our lead in the House and win the Senate.

FOCUS.

Forget the WH, win the Senate, stop O cold, and then bring Jindal, Rand Paul, or Walker in 2016 to take out Jeb Bush.

Be prudent and make the strong steps needed to set the stage for 2014/16.

KirknBurker on January 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

romney is the only “conservative” i have heard of signing an assault weapons ban, voting in the dem primary and donating to planned parenthood. but please, point out the conservative who did those things and was praised for them.

chasdal on January 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM

yeah, heard the same crap back in 2008 and mccain got several million votes less than kerry got in 2004 while the actual total vote was 10mil higher. wouldnt count on romney someone rallying the base.

chasdal on January 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM

No it is not defeatist. WE WIN the Senate. We stop Obama, then we take even more seats in Congress in 2014 as the second term of O is bad (and it will be), thereby setting the stage for a strong GOP conservative like Walker, or a principled common-sense Tea Partier like Rand Paul, or even Jindal.

Quick living a fantasy, get down to earth, and focus on those battles where we can rout them (Senate), back off the wasteful fight for the WH that even if you won with Romney, you’d now be stuck with Bush III and more big government.

This is an unending war people, not a one shot take all battle for eternity.

Get your heads out of your asses and stop wasting your energy on these people so much, especially Mitt who has never been conservative or libertarian. At least the other three have a resume of some right of center progress.

But I’m convinced none of these weak candidates will win.

Thrust the bayonet in the gut of your enemy not in his armor.

KirknBurker on January 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

chasdal on January 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

It’s not just that either. He and his wife are pro-choice and helped Planned Parenthood in MA. Disgusting record for a GOP Presidential candidate.

It’s absolutely INSANE that he has made it this far.

Think about this, now that you know Romney’s true record.

Think.

KirknBurker on January 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I think all of our candidates can beat Obama…he’s been a horrible president and I suspect much more leftwing than many of his own voters thought.

Republican voters need to stop thinking Obama is invincble. In this economy, he should be toast, going by history.

Dr. Tesla on January 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

chasdal on January 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM

so your postion then is: things have not demonstrably changed since 2008? the dynamics. the additional 5000 billion in debt, thats 5 trillion to you and me, hasnt changed things. obamacare doesnt matter. didnt happe; wont matter. 2010 didnt happen. he doesnt NEED to rally the base. obama does that. i am not advocating FOR romney. i am advocating for ANYONE; just NOT obama. theres worse than romney tho. really. its called obama. its NOT 2008. we cant afford to “let them screw it all to hell and get all the blame” anymore. we CANT. AFFORD. IT. please.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Ok. Let’s make the same mistake his two ex-wives did, let’s trust Newt.

Please, Gingrich criticizing Romney’s character (or Santorum’s, or Paul’s) is laughable. The three of them have infinitely more credibility than Newt ever will.

BocaJuniors on January 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Dr. Tesla on January 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

exactly! finally a voice of reason. all this fear and doubt is leading to some very unsound reasoning on our side. we take it all. now. senate and house and potus. we cant afford BHO, sitting there 4 more years; yes neutered. we need even god forbid a romney there who we can drag along dead weight that he will be. we’ve got a lot of cleaning up to do. we can MAKE him come along. have faith. wheoever we end up with, we wont have to drag accross the finish line in nov. in jan ok, we might have a heavier lift with some; fine. we’ll do it.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The ad insults our intelligence. Newt casting aspersions on Romney’s character is like Obama lecturing us on smaller government. It’s absurd on the face of it. A couple of verbal slip-ups don’t constitute proof of someone’s lack of character. A couple of adulterous affairs do.

writeblock on January 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

It has done a disservice to Hot Air.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

another vote for the HotGas rebranding looks like.

t8stlikchkn on January 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Ok folks, I’ve gone completely off the reservation. I am now hoping for and will be petitioning for Trump to run third party.

Trump may have many flaws, but the one thing that stands out from his flirtation with a presidential run is that he absolutely is determined to get rid of Obamacare.

If Trump were to pick a good VP who has credibility within the conservative movement (but is an outsider) I think he could absolutely win. After all, he has Snooki’s endorsement!

The best thing that could happen is for Trump to win, clean up Obama’s mess, then after about a year resign and turn the Presidency over to his VP. And you know who I think would make a great running mate? Newt! Newt! Newt!

After all, it’s clear the elites aren’t going to allow Newt (or Perry or anybody else) to be the nominee. If we are to take back conservatism, if the tea party is to have a victory here, it’s blow up the house time!

This is what I hope for, so go ahead and shoot me!

Galadriel on January 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Cannibals in GOP Establishment Employ Tactics of the Left

…Now, I respect Governor Romney and his success. But there are serious concerns about his record and whether as a politician he consistently applied conservative principles and how this impacts the agenda moving forward. The questions need answers now.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

gerrym51 on January 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

It’s possible that those who are not new to the conservative movement or new to supporting the GOP won’t won’t recognize what you just said.

This is, VERBATIM, the (pathetic) “argument” used by Obama’s OFAs (Organizing For America drones) during the battle over Obamacare.

Thanks for clearing that up. “Project Chaos” lives.

sandollar_sa on January 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

William Jefferson “Newt’ Gingrich, serial philanderer, criticizing a man’s character?

This is satire, right?

Jaibones on January 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

writeblock on January 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Lying is bad character.

Cheating on your spouse is bad character.

They are BOTH weak on character.

How anybody thinks Romney has character does not understand what it means.

Romney is of this world only, 100% worldly. That is why he can continually lie like Obama to get your votes.

He lacks character. He just wants to be President.

He can’t even articulate why he wants to be Prez without the GOP voters immediately having their BS detectors go off.

Forget Mitt. He is not the one we should waste our blood, money, time, and sweat fighting for. It will be just like McCain saying he’ll fight and asking us to fight with him and then …he won’t fight hard against Obama.

This guy has NO CLUE what goes through the average Americans’ minds.

Obama, his campaign team, the media, etc. will have a cakewalk of a time painting him as the 1% he has no clue the struggles you go through.

At least Barry O the marxist evil Cloward and Piven radical had both parents run out on him and can at a minimum claim that hardship.

Mittens? Oh please.

KirknBurker on January 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

This is what I hope for, so go ahead and shoot me!

Galadriel on January 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

It is not going off the reservation to say:

“Anybody but Mittens!”

It’s patriotism and common-sense when there are others way better.

KirknBurker on January 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

BacaDog on January 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

the mental visuals of that are very very disturbing …
I am however laughing hysterically … thanks ….

conservative tarheel on January 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Don’t want to buy auto insurance, don’t drive. Don’t want to buy health insurance, don’t live in massachusetts. Apparently some people need a lesson in federalism. Mass state constitution allows for the mandate whether you agree with it or not. The people residing in mass do agree with it.

gotsig on January 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM

There are a lot of bitter posters around here ever since Romney outperformed Gingrich in the last two debates. Their hate is frankly irrational, bordering on deranged. Romney’s not dishonest or liberal or wimpish or plastic or any of the other epithets applied to him by sore losers who can’t stand politicians who come from blue states. In fact he’s a pragmatic executive with impressive free enterprise credentials and a squeaky-clean private life who articulates well the mess the country’s in and what we need to do to get out of it. He’s organized and disciplined–and running a good campaign. Right now it’s winning the primary fight for FL, a hugely important state in the general election.

writeblock on January 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM