President downplays Brewer brouhaha to Diane Sawyer

posted at 7:30 pm on January 27, 2012 by Tina Korbe

In an interview with Diane Sawyer set to air tonight, the president unsurprisingly downplayed the tarmac tiff with Arizona Republican Gov. Jan Brewer that equally unsurprisingly led to a boost in sales for her book. WaPo reports:

The president smiled when Sawyer brought up the photo taken during the exchange and Brewer’s comments in follow-up interviews that Obama was “tense” and “thin-skinned.”

“What I’ve discovered is I think it’s always good publicity for a Republican if they’re in an argument with me, but this was really not a big deal,” Obama said.

Obama said he was not “tense” in the exchange, which reportedly began when Obama criticized passages about him in Brewer’s book “Scorpions for Breakfast.”

“You know Diane, I am usually accused of not being intense enough, too relaxed,” Obama said.

Note the expression of concern on Diane Sawyer’s face, her apparent desire to correct any misimpression of Mr. Obama. She gives him at least three opportunities to say no, in fact, he wasn’t tense. Diane Sawyer shows by her moderation of GOP debates and her gentle questioning of Obama that she’s all too happy to help him cast himself in the best light possible.

Lucky Obama. Not all of us have the luxury of going on national TV to pretend we weren’t insecure when we were. Still, it’s not enough for O that most of the media is in his pocket. Michelle Malkin reminds us that the president has long wished he could make conservative criticism disappear entirely:

You know those “petty grievances” of “Washington politics” that Obama has long condemned? Now it can be told: He knows whereof he squawks.

As New York Times reporter Jodi Kantor’s new book, “The Obamas,” reveals, the president and his inner circle spent even more time carping about conservative influence on public opinion. “He wanted the media to be more of a referee; to put unfair Republican charges to rest,” Kantor discovered. “He could brush off the wildest, most baseless attacks themselves, he told (senior adviser and Chicago pal) Valerie Jarrett, along with (campaign finance bundler and treasurer) Marty Nesbitt and (bundler and finance mogul) John Rogers, at lunch in the little dining room next to the Oval Office.”

But what “galled him,” the book observed, “was when they gained mainstream credibility despite distortions of truth.” …

How long before we see a FLOTUS tarmac tantrum? We did get two divas for the price of one. As longtime observers of the royal Obamas have long observed: Mr. and Mrs. Cranky Pants’ problem has never been the color of their skin. It’s the thinness.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments

Pu$$y.

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM

You lie!

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM

You’ll see some distortion (lie) of this in a campaign ad in order to pander to Arizona Hispanics. I don’t know the Hispanics too well – will it work?

8 weight on January 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

All about Barry. NPD on display.

BHO Jonestown on January 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Not you carb, O!bama. :)

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Awww, Diane has a little love in her heart…isn’t that just so sweet…

right2bright on January 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Didn’t two of the mayors who were at the scene also say he wasn’t tense?

Brewer is out for publicity and to sell books.

red_herring on January 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Sawyer’s knees and lips must be getting chapped.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Diane is trying to out-tingle Chris. Could a cat fight over The Won’s affections be on the horizon?

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Has anyone noticed that ABC news is at the center of a lot of lefty media manipulation lately? I guess it’s because no one watches NBC or MSNBC they are using ABC for propaganda, because someone is still watching their network? Honestly the only person I trust that works for ABC is Jake Tapper.

Dr Evil on January 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Naturally, Mr. Fraud would dismiss the criticism. He’s absolutely the most morally reprehensible leader this country has ever witnessed. Our citizens suffer while he takes lavish vacations and does nothing for job growth while he sinks us so far into debt we’ll never get out.

Diane, why don’t you just let it all hang out and admit you’re a Obama groupie? The left-wing media are so far up the O’s butt that whenever he opens his mouth they see daylight.

Conservchik on January 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Not you carb, O!bama. :)

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I knew what you meant, my friend.

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM

That’s the crux of this story….sure is nice how the MSM falls all over itself to curry favor with this President. I realize this is the lowest form of punditry, but imagine if it was a Democratic governor on the tarmac finger-pointing at Bush or a republican president? The media would be claiming the governor was a true people’s man and the next up-in-coming rock star speaker for the DNC….

Truly sad is the complete abdication of any sense of objectivity in the press…

powerpickle on January 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM

This bozo exudes weakness and Sawyer is just straight up creepy. Come to think of it she’s like the mirror image of Sean Hannity when he interviews Palin.

“So Governor Awesomeness, given your totally earth shattering righteousness I think it would be fair to say that you are the most important woman in the last 300 years” etc.

CorporatePiggy on January 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Everytime I see Diane Sawyer the first thing I think of is Warren Beatty nailing her. It makes me laugh to know that Beatty would not touch her with a ten foot pole now.

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Nice try Obummer.

Roymunson on January 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Didn’t two of the mayors who were at the scene also say he wasn’t tense?

Brewer is out for publicity and to sell books.

red_herring on January 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

If that’s so, what is the possibility that they are Dem mayors who would of course pander to His Woness?

Naaaaaaaah!

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I knew what you meant, my friend.

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Although I am pi$$ed that you beat me to first. *greatness escapes me once again*

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM

That sissy has HUGE ears. No wonder he’s so thin-skinned.

DiscePati on January 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM

There’s little content to Obama’s public words. A relaxed smile, vague generalities, “it’s all good”. There’s nothing to take away from the stuff he says. As if a smile covers up all differences. He’ll dish out a heavy dose of snark and nastiness to his “opponents”, but with a smile, as if they are like pesky mosquitoes. I really don’t like him.

Paul-Cincy on January 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM

too relaxed? Is that a euphemism for being on vacation too much???

ted c on January 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM

BARF on both of them! Diane looks sooooo worried/concerned that her master is being portrayed as a wimp and he plays the “I’m too gracious to give a flip” card. *ugh* Was Diane sober this time? ;)I hate these people……grrrrrrrrr

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

heh. two divas for the price of One.

overpriced, if you ask me….

ted c on January 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Yep, I kind of have a sixth sense when it comes to new posts so don’t fret. :)

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Wow. Barry got no bounce in the polls from his SOTU address. In fact, he went down in Rasmussen, and stayed flat in Gallup. He’s serving up some stale class warfare, and American is saying, “No thanks.” With Romney back on top, things must be pretty damn tense over at Team Obama these days. Hell, he’s calling up ABC to do damage control over a spat at the airport that most of the MSM didn’t even cover! Desperate times in Obamaville.

Rational Thought on January 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Great read on topic.

Schadenfreude on January 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I hate these people……grrrrrrrrr

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

You’ve got a lot of company in that. I live to see these people fall.

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

He lost AZ over it.

Schadenfreude on January 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

He and Romney are equally glass-jawed.

Schadenfreude on January 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM

The worst thing about this swill is that millions will lap it up with a spoon.

Syzygy on January 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Shut up, obama.

Pork-Chop on January 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM

BUT BUT BUT BREWER IS LIKE ALL OLD AND WRINKLED AND STUFF AND IS THEREFORE AN EVIL REICHWING RETHUGLIKKAN WINGNUT PUPPET OF $CARA PAYLIN AND SHE LIED ABOUT MY DREAMY SKITTLE-$HITTING MESSIAH AND HE SHOULD HAVE BITCH-SLAPPED HER!!!11!!!1!!!!1!!1eleventy

some stupid-ass Odumbotard troll at Axleturf, INC

There, trolls, I’ve summed up your entire argument against Brewer in a single sentence. No need to spam the thread with your idiotic hate-mongering misogynist douchebaggery. Go troll the Palin thread instead, as that already devolved into a train wreck about 500 comments ago.

Walter Sobchak on January 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Has there ever been a president as phony as Obama? I don’t think so.

SlaveDog on January 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM

“And don’t buy her book.”
/Obummer

RoadRunner on January 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM

THIS is why the candidates should be going after Obowma with both barrels…

… He is so thin skinned, that a barrage of attacks coming from four different directions, then throw in the Super PACS and the RNC, Obowma will be running from one camera to the other trying to act tuff.

The attacks should be relentless and non-stop…

… Then we shall see what kind of a measure of a ‘man’ this guy truly is.

Seven Percent Solution on January 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

The attacks should be relentless and non-stop…

… Then we shall see what kind of a measure of a ‘man’ this guy truly is.

Seven Percent Solution on January 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Yes. Right on. Right on.

I want to see him cry.

SlaveDog on January 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Walter Sobchak on January 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Epic fail. You left out RAAAAAAACISSSSSST!

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Too relaxed? I don’t recall anyone EVER saying he was “too relaxed”. Cold? Yes. Aloof? Yes. Distant? Yes.

Too relaxed? Nope.

We’ve all seen how relaxed he is on the golf course.

I really cannot recall any politician in my life time that has been more thin skinned than this narcissist.

ButterflyDragon on January 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM

That’s what happens when you go through life always being told how wonderful you are. Affirmative Action much?

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Brewer is out for publicity and to sell books.

red_herring on January 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Well then, mission accomplished.

Happy Nomad on January 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Wouldn’t Obama actually have to work to be tense. The neverending series of parties, concerts, vacations and golf outings are what we non-royals call leisure activities. For Obama and his grifter wife it is a lifestyle.

Happy Nomad on January 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM

— President downplays Brewer brouhaha to Diane Sawyer

Yeah, like there’s any need for that, Barry. She can make your excuses all on her own. And she would be DEElighted to do so. I didn’t see the interview, because I never watch the alphabet news shows, but I’m assuming Ms Sawyer touched her face and shook her hair at least twice over the course of it.

minnesoter on January 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Jan : scorpions for breakfast

Barry : mom jeans in the afternoon

GhoulAid on January 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Well then, mission accomplished.

Happy Nomad on January 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Yep. I’m going to order a copy of that book this weekend.

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

was he asked about his stance on contraception? this being a major issue in the country now of course, right ABC?

sbvft contributor on January 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Does Obama assume that having an opposing point of view about a position implies that one is arguing?

My understanding of Brewer’s appearance was that she was greeting the president, making a case that AZ is moving in a positive direction in terms of jobs, and extending again her invitation for Obama to actually go to the border and see for himself the dangerous situation there. He tossed her letter into the waiting limousine after turning away from her remarks midstream. The rudeness was his, and his objection to her interpretation of their meeting in the WH was truly thin-skinned and self-serving.

Driving home this evening, I listened to Michael Savage interview Gov. Brewer, who elaborated on the event. The photo caught her pointing a finger. (Ooh, how damaging!) She said that she is a person who talks with her hands, especially on issues about which she is passionate. In this case, her concern is about following the rule of federal law, the lawlessness and dangerousness at the border, not only to people in her state but to those in Mexico, the costs of non-enforcement of federal support to her citizens, and so forth. It is her contention that the Obama administration belittles the needs of AZ’s taxpayers while allowing rampant illegal border crossing to continue because the administration prefers its version of “reality.”

onlineanalyst on January 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

How sober was Sawyer during the tongue bath of Junior?

onlineanalyst on January 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

How sober was Sawyer during the tongue bath of Junior?

onlineanalyst on January 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

She obviously likes sausage with her vodka.

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM

You’ve got a lot of company in that. I live to see these people fall.

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Heh….amen to that my brudda/sista! :)

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW! BRAIN BLEACH!!! STAT!!!!

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

She obviously likes sausage with her vodka.

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM

..made my day! You have earned your sobriquet, sir (or madam as the case may be).

The War Planner on January 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

…He is so thin skinned, that a barrage of attacks coming from four different directions, then throw in the Super PACS and the RNC, Obowma will be running from one camera to the other trying to act tuff.

The attacks should be relentless and non-stop…

… Then we shall see what kind of a measure of a ‘man’ this guy truly is.

Seven Percent Solution on January 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

..marvelous! Operating on a lot more than 7% here!

The War Planner on January 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

He was dissed by an older woman so he feels the need for damage control and ABC is happy to oblige.

tommy-t on January 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Obama has mommy issues, so he despises older white women.

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Walter Sobchak on January 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Epic fail. You left out RAAAAAAACISSSSSST!

predator on January 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I also forgot to get “COMMUNITY COLLEGE GRADUATE” in there to cover for DouchebaginCT or whatever that miserable little turd’s name is.

Walter Sobchak on January 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Heh….amen to that my brudda/sista! :)

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM

The War Planner on January 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Thanks, my friends. And for the record, I’m a male lobo.

Here’s a picture of me to prove it.

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

You can tell by look on Diane’s face that she is so infatuated with this good looking, clean, well spoken guy.

Sickening!

ORrighty on January 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Here’s a picture of me to prove it.

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

LOL! Eggggggggcellent pic! :) *growl*

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Obama has mommy issues, so he despises older white women everyone.

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM

FIFY cf. :)

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Brewer Odumbo is out for publicity and to sell books.

red_herring on January 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Fixed it for ya. At least Brewer accomplished something noteworthy before writing a book about herself, unlike the two-bit Chicago grifter.

Walter Sobchak on January 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Oh YES! Great profile pic.

ORrighty on January 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

LOL! Eggggggggcellent pic! :) *growl*

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I’ve a winning smile, no?

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM

And there are those that say having the MSM be 92% liberal gives a bias to the news.

jukin3 on January 27, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I’ve a winning smile, no?

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Oui monsieur, tres bien! :)

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM

“No big deal?”
He walked away from Jan when she was in the middle of a sentence. Class guy everywhere isn’t he? He knows how to act in Europe, the Middle East, EVERYWHERE! (How’s he do on the golf course?)
Diane Sawyer, orally trying to support him? I was waiting for her to do the other oral…right there!

KOOLAID2 on January 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM

FIFY cf. :)

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yep, every one but one person, himself.

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

odumbo is a filthy, communist, liar, bent on the downgrade and destruction of the Republic. It’s a shame the congress doesn’t have the cajones to do anything about it. I have no faith that the GOP will triumph in November and I am glad I only have a few years left so I don’t have to witness the total decline of this country. Anybody that thinks odumbo is good for the country is a fool and a racist.

ultracon on January 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Yep, every one but one person, himself.

carbon_footprint on January 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Yeppir! :)

sicoit on January 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM

ultracon on January 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I know what you’re saying my friend … we need to rally and proclaim to the uninformed … “we the people” still have the power in this great country. Use it or lose it.

Carry on ye Patriots!

ORrighty on January 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Conservatives are missing a key component to this stroy which bolsters Brewer’s version of events: Obama pulled the EXACT SAME stunt w Gov Bobby Jindal after the hurricane. They just had a segment on this on O’Reilly, and the conservative female guest was adequate but missed the pattern of behavior altogether.

matthew8787 on January 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM

“I am usually accused of not being intense enough, too relaxed.”

Really…?

Seven Percent Solution on January 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

matthew8787 on January 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Also, the picture of her wagging her finger in Obama’s face is misleading. It’s actually off to her right side, his left. She’s just gesturing, not at him. But given the angle, it looks like it’s in his face. Surely someone else has already pointed that out.

Paul-Cincy on January 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM

“I am usually accused of not being intense enough, too relaxed.”
Really…?

Seven Percent Solution on January 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

(I think he smokes a certain type of bud, that’s not widely known for its nicotine.)

KOOLAID2 on January 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA …………….. The one they love to hate, Obama is the man!

I love reading these comments :)

residentblue on January 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Sickening!

ORrighty on January 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Are you projecting…. sounds like you’re talking about yourself here… easy on Vaseline.

residentblue on January 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

HAHAHA!!! That’s funny, I love reading snarky comments by libtrolls who are so smug in their alternate reality. I love the way you never let facts get in the way. Really, I do.

ghostwalker1 on January 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I usually accuse Obama of being an asshole.

And he is.

Sherman1864 on January 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I mean Obama is an a-hole.

Sherman1864 on January 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

8 weight on January 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Many LEGAL Arizona immigrants tend to be rather disapproving of illegals. I don’t think that tactic would work, except for those who would vote for Obeyme anyway.

JannyMae on January 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

IMHO, Dianne Sawyer is a BOOB.

I wonder who gets heard by most Americans today. Sarah Palin or Dianne ‘I Heart 0bama’ Sawyer.

DannoJyd on January 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM

How sober was Sawyer during the tongue bath of Junior?

onlineanalyst on January 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

She obviously likes sausage with her vodka.

predator on January 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM

They don’t call them cocktail weenies for nothing……

DStreete on January 28, 2012 at 5:53 AM

I wonder how many women still excite themselves over Obama at bedtime.

Ugh.

disa on January 28, 2012 at 6:17 AM

President downplays Brewer brouhaha to Diane Sawyer

Our “thin-skinned” prez Obama should quit while he’s behind!

BigSven on January 28, 2012 at 7:01 AM

You can see by the body language that Øbama was trying to gain dominance… the extended handshake, his face in her face talking down to her, and then holding onto her arm. I think her finger wagging was to tell him she was not intimidated.

Brewer +1

Øbama 0

petefrt on January 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM

How long before we see a FLOTUS tarmac tantrum?

Now THAT would be hilarious. Actually, it’s long past time. Michelle often reminds me of a boiler about to blow. You can just see the seams straining, hear the rivets starting to pop and see the steam trickling out before the big boom.

PatriotGal2257 on January 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM