Video: Romney vs. Newt on immigration, Santorum vs. Romney on RomneyCare

posted at 10:30 pm on January 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

Two highlights of the evening, both via BuzzFeed. Remind me again, what’s the evidence from this interminable debate series that Newt would totally PWN Obama in the debates this fall? He’s had two memorable moments, one attacking Juan Williams and the other attacking John King, neither of whom is actually running for president. All day long we heard about how angry he was on the stump about Romney’s Freddie Mac hypocrisy and his secret bank accounts and his richie-rich richness, and how Newt was spoiling for a fight. So what ended up happening? Romney neutralized him on the big immigration exchange at the beginning, and then it fell to Santorum — for the second debate in a row — to pick Romney apart on his core policy vulnerability. (He did a darned fine job of it too.) If you’re operating under the illusion that the election will turn on the presidential debates in October, kindly explain why Gingrich is somehow superior to Santorum. He wouldn’t even accept Blitzer’s invite to hit Romney on his Swiss bank account even though he’s been criticizing him on the trail for it for days. The hapless moderator/punching bag had to badger him into answering. Mystifying. Didn’t Newt realize that the primary was on the line tonight?

You’ll be pleased to know that Romney is now a 91 percent favorite to win Florida on InTrade as I write this, up from 74 percent earlier today. Stats guru Nate Silver thinks it’s possible that Romney wins by double digits, perhaps by as much as 20 points. And why not? After Santorum’s strong performance tonight, there are bound to be tepid Newt fans and true undecideds who prefer him as the anointed Not Romney and will start peeling away tomorrow. Who could blame them?

Exit question: Did Brett O’Donnell just cinch the nomination for Romney?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

I suspect it will be difficult to repeal ObamaCare in total and that it was designed that way. Actually, my memory is that the most popular parts of it were set at the front end to be implemented before 2012.

I have no problem with a politician who tells me the truth. I do have a problem with a politician who tells me what they think I want to hear.

Texas Gal on January 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Let Romney himself tell u what he thinks about MANDATES…

Romney: Individual mandate is “fundamentally a conservative principle”

He said this less then a month ago… But why be Angry….

Y314K on January 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Flora Duh on January 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Oh I know I’ll here about it at work tomorrow. I mean, for the last 3 years it’s been an everyday theme and of course with the primaries and the debates it’s been even more intense. Here’s one of the things I heard today. “Well all I know, I don’t want someone who hides his money in off shore accounts being Prez, he’s no better than the one we got in there now”. “Whoever is the rich guy that did that blueprint for Obamacare, I sure won’t be voting for him”. “I can’t believe that Romney’s still in the race after Romneycare”. And it goes on and on and on. Even with the doctors. Yep, let’s nominate Romney, that will be the way to get Obama out of the whitehouse. /sarc

And I won’t even go into the number of Doctor’s I hear discussing retirement because they don’t like the way this election is going. Most have resigned theirselves to the fact now that Obamacare is here to stay if it’s Obama or Romney. So those with 20 years or more are starting to wonder if it’s even worth the effort anymore. I know my doctors love their patients, one has been practicing over 36 years, but yea, getting quite tired of the govermnent telling them how to treat their patients.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Romney was fine with letting Santorum go after him. Every punch Rick threw, he took votes away from Gingrich. Some of you people know little about campaign strategy.

rubberneck on January 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM

You, my friend, are the 2nd most intelligent person on HotGas.com. Me being the 1st.

Jailbreak on January 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM

O/T: This is the second time I have ever ever ever seen AP miss a Quotes of the Day

ArkyDore on January 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Nah…when there are open threads they take the place of, mostly.

Schadenfreude on January 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

RS > NG > MR

apocalypse on January 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

RS > NG > RP > MR

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Rick Perry is out of the race my man… :-)

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I will vote Ron before Romney. I don’t want to, but I will. Perry was our man.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I see… yeah, I couldn’t support Romney or Paul. I think Paul’s positions on protecting our civil liberties are VERY good but his foreign policy and view on Israel ruin it for me. I do think you’re sincere though fisher and have no beef with you. Support your man how you see fit. Peace. :-)

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

We already lost the 2012 election. There is no hope now but to pray we can survive another four years of Obama and prepare for 2016.

Myron Falwell on January 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM

If by “We” you mean conservatives, then yes, we already lost. I’m hoping there’s enough conservative backlash to give us some gains in the House and Senate, but I’m not optimistic.

Just Sayin on January 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM

There is nothing wrong with mandates. I will not be joining in with you conservatives who hate the poor. Willard did the right thing in Florida and should be commended

liberal4life on January 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

lobotomy4life needs to look at the tax returns of conservatives to see how much they give, and hate the poor. Then he has to look at the people who love the poor….ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh let’s just pick…oh let’s say Vice President of the middle-class, champion of the poor… Joe hair-plugs Biden…$396.00…(three/nine/six and no other-dollars)…to charity! (After all the freebies, insider trading, etc.) If you need help drooling over those three numbers…let me know!

KOOLAID2 on January 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Looks like a lot of Newtniks here refuse to face reality. Santorum won this debate with Mitt a close second. For the record I was a Perry backer. In my opinion Newt doesn’t stand a chance of winning the nomination or if he managed to do that, the Presidency. Looks like Romney will get the nod. Can he win? Your guess is as good as mine, but it seems at this point he is our only choice. I choked a bit having to write that…

sandee on January 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Dire Straits
Here ya go friend.: ) I’m turning in a little early.

Bmore on January 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Thought I’d post it in two places, Good night.

Bmore on January 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Agree with others here;

Santorum > Gingrich > Paul

Romney is not even an option for me.

Norwegian on January 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM

The Republican leadership in Congress is already trying to work with Democrats to neutralize the folks elected in 2010, imagine the message sent by a Romney nomination.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Agreed. I threw my support to Santorum tonight. If we’re going to lose in this GOP primary and the General, I’m going down on conservative principals and someone I can believe (although may not agree with 100%).

Santorum or Die!

Deep Timber on January 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Looks like a lot of Newtniks here refuse to face reality.

sandee on January 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM

This is news?

Go RBNY on January 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Just Sayin on January 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Not likely, unfortunately. Any top-of-the-ticket candidate as roundly despised by the actual, voting conservative base as Romney is (see: McCain, ’08) won’t have any electoral coattails to speak of.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Are you SERIOUSLY asking this question? Romney can’t argue against a health care plan when he authored a very similar plan!

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM

and when he’s saying this at the end of last month.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I just do not understand it. I do not understand how people can complain about Obama’s health care plan and want to repeal it and then support Mitt Romney for the Republican Presidential nominee who authored the same plan when he was Governor of Massachusetts! You know, I’m saying to myself these people are brainwashed zombies under heavy mind control of FOX news and the establishment… programmed just the way they like lol

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I don’t understand either. I worry that nominating Romney will suck all of the energy from the base, energy needed to hold the House and win the Senate.

Thinking back to the fall of 2008, my district had a Democrat congressman. When TARP was being debated people here came unglued. They flooded his office with calls and bombarded his local office with calls, letters, and personal protests. It was impressive. Even though he was a Dem, he voted against it. Then a few months later, those same people went ape over Obama’s stimulus. He supported that. As a result, in the early spring of 2009 we held Tea Party rallies mere yards from his local office. The people pestered and protested so much that he was one of the few Dems who did not support Obamacare. He still lost his seat, mostly because he was in the party that implemented Obamacare.

Fast forward to today, we are looking at nominating a presidential candidate who defends health care mandates as conservative, supported TARP, and called for a Keynesian stimulus package. Romney is wrong on all three issues that really motivated the people in my district to work and fight. Since 1980, I’ve worked every presidential campaign on behalf of the GOP. I won’t do it for Romney and I’m not alone. The very people the GOP depends on to work are being bashed and mocked by the geniuses pimping Romney.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I will vote Ron before Romney. I don’t want to, but I will. Perry was our man.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I also have serious issues with Paul on foreign policy, and don’t think I could vote for him for that reason. But he’s the only one who is willing to point out the obvious: that all of our problems with health care stem from government interference in it in the first place. It’s tempting, but…no. But at least I understand why a conservative would support Paul. What I don’t understand is why a conservative would support Romney.

Just Sayin on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Texas Gal on January 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Otherwise, among your talking points… I didn’t see a solution the the problem of rising health insurance and health care cost.

I’m not running for President but I can come up with a few other than Romneycare, which sure hell didn’t lower health insurance or costs. Free market across state lines, tort reform, HSA’s, pooling, none that are in Romneycare or Obamacare.

But hey, stick with what you know, and I hope it works out for you and your children, grandchildren and most importantly any elderly in your family.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

@Flora Duh

@Raquel Pinkbullet

So let me get this straight you are going to not vote for mitt romney in the critical swing state of nevada because one out of a thousand advisors these campaigns have said gingrich and cain whip up tea party voters.

So Scalia will be replaced on the supreme court by janet napalitano.

Justice kennedy, ginsberg, breyer, scalia could all retire by the end of obama’s second term.

If Obama gets a supreme court for the next 30 years it won’t matter if the gop gets the congress and white house. A leftist supreme court will destroy everything.

Please for the sake of humanity. This isn’t about romney. This is about america and what is at stake.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

@Flora Duh

@Raquel Pinkbullet

You do know the reporter jonathan martin has used the term “advisor” very loosely in the past. He could be an outside advisor on almost anything that could have barely any relation to the campaign.

Notice he didn’t say senior advisor or close advisor which he has done many times before. Romney probably doesn’t even know who this person is.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 12:58 AM

sandee on January 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Not a “newtnik”, but a very interested party because I work in healthcare. I can’t even fathom how the faux outrage by the republicans on Obamacare means they’re willing to put up a candidate who wrote the blue print for it. It is assinine.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 12:58 AM

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Personally, I think it is false flag. Democrats do not need to primary, so they are just coming on over here to help us get the right guy into the general so they can clean our clocks in a year we should have had no problem.

Watch how many of the Romney supporters on this site disappear after we get to the general.

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Want conservatives to vote for your party’s nominee: run a conservative candidate.

Don’t care enough about conservative voters to do so: don’t whine about it, afterwards.

Simple, straightforward electoral math.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Or Newt supporters…

sandee on January 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM

The video of Romney talking about why his wife would make a great First Lady made me smile and makes me think he is conservative at the core. Basically says, she wants to educate more girls to wait and have a baby after until after they get married ie. restore the family.

I don’t care who or what his wife says. I am not voting for his wife. In fact, unless she wants to put her name on the ballot, I will go so far as to say i don’t give a wild rat’s ass about anything she says, wears, does, eats, or writes. Put her name on the ballot, and I’d probably vote for her over her damn husband.

What I care about is:

Mitt stood up in support of a permanent “assault weapons” ban in his state. He then supported the Brady CRAP. I will note that under his definition, most modern guns are “assault weapons” for the purposes of his bans. Then we could get into the expensive and restrictive taxes he helped put in place even to own the neutered ball-less weapons.

I care about his states profligate spending under Mitt Romney. Hideous.

I get angry when I look at the long list of liberal judges Mitt Romney installed, and how little action he took to fight an amok Mass judicial branch who were violating their own constitution and legislating from the bench.

I become enraged that Romney has the audacity to subscribe to such a discredited and evil farce as Global Warming – and he came b@*ls out with his “I firmly believe….” admission. That tells me he’s either a truly malignant political opportunist, or an easily conned RUBE that any two-bit Flim-flam man like Mann or Gore can sucker into TRAGIC POLICY DECISIONS.

And my seething rage can barely be contained by the evil audacity of Mitt Romney when he imposed socialized medicine on his state. Such nightmares are an affront to every principle, standard, and drop of blood shed by our founders. It’s down right un-American, and any man who is responsible for such a wicked thing should be embarrassed to call the rest of us his countryman.

So no, I don’t care if his wife is the reincarnation of Barry Goldwater.

Tell you what, is Mrs. Romney is such a staunch pillar of conservatism, have her statist husband withdraw and put HER name on the ballot – because that’s the only way you will ever get my help installing that horrible man in the White House.

SilverDeth on January 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

You’ve just told the record of the past three years. To throw away the effort of so many will either suck the energy out of the base or make them even more furious with the RNC.

Morale may hit a low, but then maybe people will work on House or Senate campaigns. I may go with a new guy we have running for Senate.

I don’t think they have yet realized this.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Romney’s not worth getting angry about was in the context of comparing his plan to repeal obamacare with santorum’s plan to appeal obamacare.

Romney will appeal it and leave it up to the states.

He has said he would push for it through reconnciliation of trying to get it through the senate with only 50 votes.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Funny you should mention calling Rubio because it’s something I’ve thought of doing after yesterday–asking his office why he’s calling Mitt a conservative.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM

If you do, you may want to direct his office to this article as I did when I sent him an email this afternoon.

Massive Poll: Half of Tea Partyers Support Gingrich

We wouldn’t want him to forget who played the biggest part in getting him elected in FL.

Flora Duh on January 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

^ THIS ^

Just Sayin on January 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Free market across state lines

State solution

, tort reform,

State Solution

HSA’s

State solution,

pooling,

State solution

Romneycare

State solution

Texas Gal on January 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM

@Flora Duh

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

No, I won’t, because I live in FL.

Flora Duh on January 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Or Newt supporters…

sandee on January 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM

No, I recognize names of people who have supported him or other candidates.

There are some Romney supporters I recognize, but a lot are new. I can only guess Romney staff had volunteers sign up at the open registrations. They haven’t done much except insult people and give Romney talking points.

Most new registrations don’t hit the ground angry that way.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

You know, I’ve heard this for the last 35 years and quite frankly, I’m tired of it. Republican presidents have given us liberal judges and by the looks of what Romney did in Mass. I have no hope that he would appoint conservative judges. It’s about the same as with R v W. Both parties know that they will never overrule it, but it’s that same old bargaining chip to whip up the masses. The last 3 years, it’s been Obamacare but if Romney wins the nominee, then it will go the way of R v W, a mute point. I’m done worrying about any of it, it’s now a lost cause.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Flora Duh on January 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Thanks!

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM

You’re kidding yourself.

Go RBNY on January 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM

In the wall st journal poll Newt is down 69-21 among women to Obummer.

You can’t compare Newt to Slick Willy. Women will never vote for a mistress to be first lady. They resent the young blonde mistress without kids ruining a marraige and getting all the glory.

To make Newt the nominee with his baggage is suicidal. Get a conservative in the race then to take on romney. Not someone with newt’s baggage.

I get that Romney has his faults but for the people to be promoting gingrich is to hand Obama a win that he can crow was better than Reagan vs Mondale win percentage.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM

No, I recognize names of people who have supported him or other candidates.

Most new registrations don’t hit the ground angry that way.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM

You got it. The majority of us speaking against Romney have been here for years.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Simple, straightforward electoral math.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Only works if you are willing not to vote for the one they hand you.

… but the argument to grit your teeth and let them use you this time, right here at this weird pivot-point, is pretty strong …

Is Romney going to appoint conservative judges?

Axe on January 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Texas Gal on January 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM

And not a darn one of those were in Romneycare, Romney’s masterpiece. So do I hold out hope that he’ll do anything of the sort as the president. No, in fact HELL NO.

Like I said, I don’t wish you ill feelings, just don’t try to tell me who to vote for because I will vote according to my conscience. I hope you do the same and good luck.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Really? I mean really? Sounds kind of paranoid to me….

sandee on January 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Glad to read so many people going for Santorum here after his great debate performance.

Not only is Santorum the best choice for conservatives, I’m beginning to think he is the the most electable of all the Republicans left. Not only is Newt weak, Romney now looks weak too.

Santorum might be the last hope we have for this country.

Elisa on January 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

@Flora Duh

Quinnipiac poll shows Romney 45 Obama 45 in Florida

I am not for the other candidates but I sure would work, donate and support them as the nominee. There is too much at stake.

So after the debacle the dems pulled in florida in 2000 I don’t get it.

The reporter didn’t say close adviser or top adviser. These campaigns have so many outside people working on a myriad of things.

For example if the candidate hires a company to do his ads. The candidate might know the top guy but wouldn’t know all the people under him.

This reporter could take the people under him and say he is an adviser when romney has never even met him.

This reporter jonathan martin has used the term adviser before for backers that endorsed him where the candidate put out a pro forma statement bs that he will take their advice.

Politico is trying to divide republicans to help Obama.

And look just on this one article you have two people from swing states who said he worked the trick.

The media in our country is as fair as the media in russia.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

So Scalia will be replaced on the supreme court by janet napalitano.

The RePubic scare tactics won’t work on us anymore you SHILL. Where you standing in from of me now trying to use that tired old clap-trap that you establishment pukes pull out every time you want us to fellatiate one of your east coast blue-blood Rockefeller RePubics, I’d throw rotten tomatoes at you.

Seeing a democrat like Romney being touted as a conservative makes me want to boo, hiss, tar, feather, and run the establishment hacks PROMOTING THIS FARCE OUT ON A RAIL.

The establishment is damn lucky people are not yet pushed to the stage that they start to ponder the most patriotic use of street lamps and hemp rope. Yet.

/rage

SilverDeth on January 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

The big winner tonight (and today): the establishment GOP. They launched an all-out, coordinated demolition on one guy today. They won’t go after Obama the way they went after Gingrich today.

shannon76 on January 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM

O.K. I have to call B.S. On that one. Sorry. I am not thrilled with any of our choices but that statement is inane.

Minnfidel on January 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Floridian claims he likes Newt, but paid to campaign for Romney

Dire Straights- I want my… I want my… $80 & a free Romney T-Shirt for Free…

Y314K on January 27, 2012 at 1:12 AM

sandee on January 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Just observant.

Not hard to notice.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:12 AM

SilverDeth on January 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Standing ovation. It’s amazing how the R’s will eat their own to regain power. It’s not about conservatism, it’s about chairing committee and pushing through their crap. Power trip…

Last election was a wake up call to me about the democrats. I couldn’t truly say that about the republicans, until this year…To hell with them both

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Well I still can’t believe that we’re crowning someone who says that “healthcare isn’t something to get angry” over as the winner.So all of your “outrage” during the healthcare debate was just faux outrage?

Bet you’ll really attract independents after that spectacular cluster f*&k answer from Romney tonight about “getting angry”. It should be made into a commercial from the dems to run 24/7.

noneoftheabove on January 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ Hot Air — moderators and commentariat alike — have been dashing about with hair ablaze for nearly three years now, shrieking (quite rightly) about the evils of ObamaCare; and now, we’re all just supposed to stop on a dime and do a complete one-eighty, solely for the “privilege” of being able to cast a vote for (and lose with) The Whiter, More Well-Coiffed Obama, come November?

That so-called “study” released today, supposedly proving that conservatives are stupid, is looking more and more like revealed prophecy by the nano-second.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Agreed. If we nominate Romney we all look like hypocrites and we throw away our best weapon against Obama, Obamacare.

Elisa on January 27, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Simple, straightforward electoral math.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Only works if you are willing not to vote for the one they hand you.

Axe on January 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM

A position I’m perfectly willing to take, thank you.

The Republican party, for the second presidential election in a row, is blatantly stating: We think we can win without your help, you icky, icky conservatives, you!

My personal response, in turn, for the second presidential election in a row, is: Show me, big boy.

They were howlingly, thunderingly W-R-O-N-G wrong, in 2008. I honestly don’t see that changing, this time out.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 1:15 AM

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

There’s still a majority of the country who want it repealed. There may be a number in other states who are gritting their teeth at what they see and wanting their turn to vote. The voters of NH are the ones who have turned from a conservative red to a moderate red. They should have known better than to support Mitt.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

What you are hearing political celebrities say on TV is not what people are saying on the streets.. these Republican candidates don’t make it without the approval of the establishment and I have lost all faith in the system.

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Minnfidel on January 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Really? I mean, Romney called Obama a nice guy, said the economy is working again and you think he’ll go after Obama as hard as he has Ginrich? I want what you’re drinking.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

That’s the fault of the MA Legislature and they have the authority to make whatever changes/improvements or repeal of the law they deem fit for their citizens.

Like I said, I don’t wish you ill feelings,

Yes you did.

I never said anything about who you should vote for. I voiced my personal preference for State solutions and stated that RomneyCare is an example of a State solution vs ObamaCare which is a federal government solution.

I hope you do the same and good luck.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I plan to do so and I do expect the luck will be good.

Texas Gal on January 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I am not real excited about Romney. My first choices are not in the race and I have to pick the lesser of 4 evils so to speak. I was leaning Newt a month ago. His OWS style attacks are B.S. Santorum, meh. Luap Nor NO. Romney, meh. But if Romney is the nom I’ll vote for him over 0webama any day of the week.

Minnfidel on January 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I was with you last time :)

I’m not sure about this time. I’m still working this mess out in my heart.

Axe on January 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

@ Elisa

We don’t throw out our best weapon against obama.

Obama did it a federal level instrucing the states how to govern and romney will hand it back to the states just like roe v wade.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM

The Tea party protested a BLACK man who implemented a healthcare policy with mandates only to elect a WHITE man who implemented a healthcare with mandate.

Now tell me who is the true racist

liberal4life on January 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

You are for bringing up Race, when it wasn’t an issue.

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on January 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Minnfidel on January 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

For once I think Politico got it right.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM

The (less than) Great Debate

Win: Rick Santorum
Place: Mitt Romney
Show: Newt Gingrich

Mr. Congeniality: Ron Paul

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 27, 2012 at 1:20 AM

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Much respect to flyfisher for actually having principles

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Right, I’m sure he won’t go after Obama as hard as he did Newt. I’ll have a double of what you’re having.

Minnfidel on January 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I agree about TV & the people. I don’t know that only the candidates who get this far all had to be approved. Maybe a one or two, but not all.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Looks like a lot of Newtniks here refuse to face reality.

sandee on January 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM

The really, really, crazy ones are the bitter really, really, crazy former worshipers of St Palin the Victimized.

They are filled with hate and resentment and they desire to exorcise those demons upon Romney’s soul. Just for hates sake.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Time to give Santorum the “Not Romney” support he now deserves.

For the 2nd debate in a row–and with above average/excellent debate skills in all 19 of them regardless of his given time–Conservatives are starting to learn more about Santorum’s ideas and feeling more comfortable with him.

A Santorum bump? Very likely but hard to say how much. He really needed that Palin endorsement. Only option left is Rush Limbaugh but I don’t think he’s likely to endorse in the GOP primary.

Deep Timber on January 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Yes, Santorum has been consistently good in all the debates. Early on he was a bit whiney, but has lost that the last couple months. But his answers have always been excellent and articulated intelligently.

Elisa on January 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM

The goal is to beat Obama, not beat-up Romney.
Newt cannot beat Obama. Romney can. No, he certainly was not my first choice to represent “conservative Republicanism” but given what we now know about the liberal state of the Party, he is the best we can hope for to win against Obama in the fall.
Romney will be a good fiscal caretaker of the country while the Tea Party continues to reform and renew the Republican Party in Congress and the states. Nothing else makes sense to me right now, and failing some unexpected drama, we need to begin uniting behind Romney and against the Democrat Leviathan.
Randy

williars on January 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I will vote Ron before Romney. I don’t want to, but I will. Perry was our man.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Just Sayin on January 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

That was beautifully said…

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Texas Gal on January 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Where oh where did I wish you ill will? I have never wished anyone on this site or any other ill will? Making shit up?

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Y’all should see the ad The Won is running in Virginia. He actually says that his administration has been sited as the most ethical and it’s chock full of solar panels while saying foreign oil dependency is now below 50%. It’s like living in an alternate universe.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM

For once I think Politico got it right.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Let’s say that you’re right and it was some concertive attack by the establishment (there’s alot whom I wouldn’t count as hte establishment ie Coulter) But Newt would face WAAAAY tougher attacks from the left and MFM (Redunant I know) than the “establishment” Republicans. I think there’s probably ammo on Newt they are keeping dry for now just in case. Wether or not it was right or wrong to do Newt would face much harsher treatment than Bob Dole. If he can’t stand up tp to that he’d be in trouble anyways.

Minnfidel on January 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Romney will be a good Democrat the country collapses.

There

Fixed.

SilverDeth on January 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I was on the record against Romney before I ever heard Sarah Palin’s name.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Interesting story in the Detroit newspaper today about Bain: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120127/BIZ/201270390/Bain-delivered-Domino-s-turnaround?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

brewcrew67 on January 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Running campaigns are well planned and take a long view approach. There is no percentage in calling the president dirty names. There is also no percentage in denying facts. Like it or no, the unemployment rate is going down. Obama has control of the numbers coming from the government ans will manipulate them for his purpose. It is absolutely stupid to say the economy is tanking when the numbers show that it is not.

This isn’t the school yard where the one who gets in the best dirty word is the winner.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:28 AM

williars on January 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Have the talking points and approach from the Romney campaign now changed from attack all in sight to a modified concern tactic that Romney was not my first choice, but we need to unite behind him?

This is at least the second time I’ve seen it.

Having scorched the earth, is Romney trying to see if the ground will grow supporters for him?

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I was on the record against Romney before I ever heard Sarah Palin’s name.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Are you calling yourself a really, really, crazy Newt supporter? I don’t remember singling you out. But if you think you fit the description, it certainly isn’t my place to argue with you.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM

@INC

Romney is tied with Gingrich in florida with the tea party vote in the monmouth poll that had romney up by seven. Each get 38 percent of the vote.

Nationally and especially the deep south newt is crushing mitt with the tea party vote.

But in Florida they are actually tied in the tea party vote so the whole premise of their story doesn’t hold up.

Politico was started by leftist washington post reporter. They are just trying to make romney look bad.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Thanks metal-head :) — for turning on a flashlight. I was just trying to sober up a minute ago.

… stay focused, stay focused, stay focused …

Axe on January 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I was on the record against Romney before I ever heard Sarah Palin’s name.

Aye. Same here. The man threw up red flags the second I started researching him in 2007.

SilverDeth on January 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

This is at least the second time I’ve seen it.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Yup. Exactly the same strategy employed by Team McCain four years ago, to the letter.

They. Never. EVER. Learn.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

williars on January 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Sorry, but the goal was always to beat Obama, not beat up on any of the conservative candidates. I didn’t realize that Romney was the only one that wasn’t allowed to have a glove laid on him. Now I understand. Which is exactly why I won’t vote for him. I wasn’t allowed to voice my concern for Obama either, back when I was with the party. Won’t be falling in line for a second election.

Besides, I’ve been told from many supporters of Romney that he needs independents yet we’ve been told that if we won’t vote for him, “we’re insignificant”. So fine, I’m insignificant. I’m okay with that.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Can we please quit this charade that anyone but Romney is going to be the nominee? Guy is the only serious candidate in the field besides Santorum. Gingrich and Paul are circus clowns.

therightwinger on January 27, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I was on the record against Romney before I ever heard Sarah Palin’s name.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Um, no. I’m simply anti-Romney. I have been since I heard him on Fox bragging about his conservative health plan when he was governor.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 1:35 AM

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I don’t put much credence in Politico, that’s why I said even Politico. They merely wrote up the conclusion I already came to.

I can read. I can trace the relationships and the political feuds and alliances of the past.

You don’t have to be a weatherman–or a pundit–to know which way the wind blows.

But the times are not changing, they’re recycling.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:35 AM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Unemployment is up in my area. And what I hear from my unemployed patients when they hear Romney say the economy is turning around, or Obama for that matter is “wtf”, really? could have fooled me”.

So no, it’s not gotten better but you have to deal with the reality you live with, not with the one you want to live with.

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:17 AM

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I agree… Ron Paul would be an example.. but in the end nobody becomes President without the approval of a group of wicked, evil, psychotic, demonic people who really run this country who lurk in the shadows. You know, they’re the wealthy, they’re the bankers. Who knows really who they are but these are the people who pull the strings.

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Anyone that cares about doing away with Obamacare should be for mitt. Mitt said he would repeal it and try and get the senate to do it through reconnciliation.

It isn’t like Reagan is his opponent. There is no more electable conservative. Mitt is the only electable candidate in the field. Newt can’t appeal to women or independents. There is no other candidate getting in as the filing dates are too late.

Who is the white house scared of? Who do they have all their unions in florida using rescources working against mitt. It is Romney. They know with a nominee gingrich they could shift all their resources to the house and senate races.

Obama is up 69-21 among women in the just released wall st journal poll. Most mind boggling stat you will ever see for major presidential contender. That is why MSNBC is cheering Newt on.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I notice that Morning Joe et al have stopped saying “Bain Capital is part owner of The Weather Channel, along with NBC Universal.”

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 27, 2012 at 1:38 AM

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Co-signed. The party has spent the last five years screaming, virtually non-stop, that my vote isn’t even remotely needed on the national (as opposed to the local) level.

Far be it for me to attempt arguing them out of such a dearly-held belief as that.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 1:39 AM

すごい!

Swerve22 on January 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

There is no doubt a conservative crack-up is going on. One side, the establishment level conservatives, are so willing to sabotage the movement – and the country – for their own desires and needs.

Myron Falwell on January 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Romney people don’t like talking points anymore.

They quickly devolve into a discussion of his record of profligate spending, appointing liberal judges, his horrible record in stripping away the 2nd amendment in hi state, wholehearted support of global warming, and his love for the horror that we see unfolding before us in Great Britain’s health care system.

So now they are reduced to:

“Hey now… don’t beat up poor Ken-Doll it will damage him for the election – all the while the son-of-a-b*tch employes a team of PACS, opposition-researches, pundits, and hatchet-men that he’s using to slaughter his opponents.”

Ken-Doll dragging his “poor faux broken wing” like a momma killdeer, and trying to play the “poor me” card – while his dog – like Christ’s goon squad – go at his opponents personal lives Chicago Style.

Sorry Repubic establishment. You took the “we are the lesser evil meme, drug it out into the street, and beat it to death with a fencepost.”

It.
Won’t.
Work.
Anymore.

SilverDeth on January 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Its amazing how much lying he gets away with. Every question in these debates the guys should try to backhand slap him with the answer if they can make any kind of connection just for the hell of it.

Sultanofsham on January 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Now I don’t go that far.

These guys talk to each other. People have egos and people in politics have the biggest of all. It’s been going on a long time, but it doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a grand conspiracy by all the players.

INC on January 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM

noneoftheabove on January 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM

You aren’t the country. My state has 5.4 unemployment. MN has 3.4 unemployment. Are you going to tell the folks in those states that the economy isn’t getting better when the unemployment numbers are getting better? You cannot make declarative statements that leave you no room to move later.

So yes, for some it has gotten better but you have to deal with the reality you live with, not with the one you want to live with.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I am done talking politics for the day… time to say my prayers… then find the tv converter… The N.W.O. > Any Republican Candidate

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM

すごい!

Swerve22 on January 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM

悲しい :(

Axe on January 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM

@Kent18

Who said that? Every vote is needed to beat an incumbent president. There are 4 supreme court justices approaching in their early to late seventies who are about to retire.

Who wants to see Obama replace justice scalia with a liberal.

This isn’t about romney. This is about not having an obama court for the next 30 years long after romney is away from the political scene.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM

So does Washinton state count the people who have stopped looking for work or is that 5.4 not cover them also?

Sultanofsham on January 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I’m simply anti-Romney.

flyfisher on January 27, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Well then, I’ll leave you to enjoy that.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:49 AM

That was beautifully said…

apocalypse on January 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM

As a wise person one wrote to me, “Peace.”

:-)

Just Sayin on January 27, 2012 at 1:51 AM

No. We won’t sit down, be quiet, and accept this crap. And if you force him on us, you’ll have to do without us in November. Or worse.

This is not an idle threat.

Mitt Romney is not a conservative. he is a democrat, and compared to the democrats in these parts, a very liberal statist loving one at that. You are absolutely out of your thick skull if you think he’s acceptable, and you are even more out of your brain-case if you imagine the republican party has enough traction left with the conservative base to try the “we are the lesser of two retards” argument successfully two disastrous elections in a row.

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY NEEDS TO BE TAKEN BACK, or DISMANTLED and replaced with something conservative. The demonrats will profit in the meantime. I have accepted this. I have accepted that the nation may not live through it. I have also come to the realization that the nation may not live through a democrat like Romney either.

So, I choose to roll the dice in such a way that allows me to maintain my personal honor and beliefs. It may all still fail.

But so be it.

SilverDeth on January 27, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Sultanofsham on January 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Washington state is not the country. But when the numbers go down, the people who are in the states hardest hit just figure it isn’t their state where the jobs are being created. I specifically explained that it isn’t the reality, it is the perception. And the POTUS can manipulate the numbers. There is no political sense in challenging the numbers because you could be wrong and then you look like a fool. All for what? To appease some people who want to call the POTUS dirty names for their edification? No, that is a silly election strategy.

csdeven on January 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Who said that? Every vote is needed to beat an incumbent president.

ryandan on January 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM

You’re being intentionally obdurate. The party plainly “states” precisely that, by monomaniacally swerving towards the least conservative candidate possible in not one, but two primary seasons consecutively.

It simply won’t do either the party or you any conceivable good to make faces, in turn, when I (and others like me) nod politely, and deign to take said party at its word. Liberal parties get liberal voters to support them by running liberal candidates. If the Republican party really, truly needs conservative voters… then, as the old online maxim has it: YR DOIN IT RONG.

Given Romney’s deplorable record, re: the appointing of judges in MA during his tenure there: that’s not even remotely a trump card you’re attempting to play, alas.

Romney when asked if he was a card carrying tea party member praised the tea party. [...] This isn’t about romney.

Your talking points are stumbling into one another.

Kent18 on January 27, 2012 at 1:57 AM