Santorum responds to rumors with his schedule: He’ll be in Florida until Monday

posted at 12:45 pm on January 26, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Rick Santorum might trail Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich by double digits in Florida, but he’s not ready to give up the state yet. While his campaign had indicated at one point that he might curtail campaigning in the Sunshine State so as to focus on the next round of voting states, the campaign today released the candidate’s schedule, which shows the Pennsylvania senator will campaign in Florida through Monday. From The Hill:

Santorum said Wednesday that he planned to return to his Virginia home over the weekend to prepare his tax returns and attend a pair of fundraisers in the Old Dominion and Pennsylvania.

He plans to make a number of radio appearances Friday in Florida, and then return to the state Sunday for a campaign rally. On Monday, he plans to participate in a candidate forum in Boca Raton, Fla., and he is scheduled to take part in Thursday night’s debate.

This is definitely in keeping with Santorum’s overall strategy to take it one state at a time. It’s hard to see, though, how Santorum will be able to gain any ground in Florida, where both Romney and Gingrich (or their hated Super PACs) have deployed their most effective weapons to win. Monday, the pro-Mitt Romney Super PAC Restore Our Future purchased $4.5 million in ad time in the state. Yesterday, the pro-Gingrich Super PAC Winning Our Future (such creative names!) announced the purchase of $6 million in ad time. Because of the size of the state and the many major media markets there, ads are expected to play an even larger role than usual in determining the outcome of this particular primary. Santorum, with a much smaller treasure chest, won’t be able to parry those significant ad buys.

Santorum’s best chance at igniting a spark with Florida voters comes tonight at the CNN debate in Jacksonville, Fla. He did well in Monday’s debate, making what some called his best pitch yet – but he received no appreciable bump in the polls from that solid showing, as Romney seemed to do from his re-polished performance. Nevertheless, if he continues to draw distinctions between his competitors and himself, he might pick up a number of undecideds or even change the minds of those who have committed to Romney or Gingrich on the basis of their Florida-specific pandering.

Comments

Very pleasant post, Tina… but

Santorum is toast and nothing is going to help.

mankai on January 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Rick Santorum’s flyer from 2006 exposes him as a socially conservative socialist:

14) Brags about expanding entitlements (medicare part D)
23) Increases minimum wage
32) Increased funding for Headstart
42) Passed welfare reform act

BUT…

44) Prevented congress from cutting food stamps (Wait, I thought he wanted to reform entitlements? )
47) Fought to close military bases in Pennsylvania, but won’t close bases in Germany/Japan

Those were my favorites.

ModerateMan on January 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Santy sees a potential Gingrich meltdown and the opportunity to become the last Not Romney.

cartooner on January 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

ModerateMan on January 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

There are NO conservatives in the race, now.

cartooner on January 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Exactly. And it’s is good to have someone in reserve, especially with better temperament and a life not full of lobbying and personal scandal.

michaelo on January 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

There are NO conservatives in the race, now.

cartooner on January 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Just curious: what is a conservative and did we have one before in the race (or never entered) ?

thebrokenrattle on January 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Wow that’s such a nice and glowing picture of Santorum, I guess I’ll vote for him./

rndmusrnm on January 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I like the halo.

haner on January 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Very pleasant post, Tina… but…

Santorum is toast and nothing is going to help.

mankai on January 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

You may be right, but with the scorched earth attacks against Gingrich why is it so unlikely that the conservative voters might ultimately turn to Santorum? He has conducted his campaign with great dignity and, I believe, has improved greatly in his delivery and debating performances. It’s just me, but I have come to like him very much and wonder why it is so hard to imagine that people won’t turn to him as Gingrich declines.

Blaise on January 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

No matter where he’s at in the country, he’ll always be in the state of confusion.

thirtyandseven on January 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Aren’t all those influential self important evangelical pastors sending him money?

*snicker*

workingclass artist on January 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Santorum is my favorite out of the remaining candidates. But it’s looking bleak for him… :’(

Mr. Prodigy on January 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

He’ll be an advisor, at least, a secretary at best.

Nice man, social-conservative and otherwise proletarian.

Schadenfreude on January 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

How many of Santorum’s Senate colleagues have come out and endorsed him?

Hostile Gospel on January 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM

He cancelled his Pensacola fly-in today because of the weather.

tree hugging sister on January 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Santorum is in it to win it! Santorum is the best of the bunch, and he is not dropping out!

Pork-Chop on January 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Hope he hangs in until Super Tuesday. As a MA Republican, I can’t pull the lever for Romney, and am having serious doubts about Gingrich. Although Santorum has his own baggage – as they all do – I could see myself voting for him without having to get blind drunk first.

Just Sayin on January 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I have’t listened to Rush Limbaugh too much since he
bragged about staying in the Lincoln bedroom in the White House
when Bush was president. And since his radio program has an
affiliation with Clear Channel, Romney’s Bain Capitol firm,
I have no reason to listen to him now. I just don’t trust the
guy. Especially after his efforts helped torpedo Hillary’s campaign and the result was we got Obama. I recall how he
ridiculed how she looked, etc. I was not a Hillary supporter,
however, was appalled with his behavior concerning her. It
was sexist. And hypocritical since he isn’t a prize in the
looks department.

That said, I had to drive to the post office and turned him
on. He stated that we need Santorum
in the race in order to prevent Obama from targeting an early
GOP primary winner.

He stated that we need to delay declaring a GOP winner as long
as we can because Obama has too much money and we won’t be abl

My question is WHY can’t the repubs get as much money? It would
seem to me that the quicker we pick the nominee, the more money
that candidate will get. Running ads for months about Obama’s
record will turn some liberals and many independents away from
voting for him. Bombard the airwaves with his record; after all,
there is so much to choose from. And it is mostly all bad.

Amjean on January 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I’m still shocked that Santorum isn’t surging after his good debate performance last time out.

He’s gotta go on offence against Gingrich tonight if he wants a respectable showing in Florida.

Zybalto on January 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Santorum is too busy trying to assassinate pregnant women because an awful poetry book written by other closet case misogynists told him to. Santorum is only supported by crazy religious slaves that can’t or won’t think for themselves and love to be told what to think as long as it confirms to their own stupidity, fear, ignorance and hate. Sane folks see him for the hate evil, petty, stupid statist Mullah that he is.

Your Mamma loves me on January 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM

He stated that we need to delay declaring a GOP winner as long
as we can because Obama has too much money and we won’t be abl

My question is WHY can’t the repubs get as much money?

Amjean on January 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Maybe because Republicans would go to jail for accepting money from Jihadis and other foreigners. Obama did it last time and he’s going to do it again.

flyfisher on January 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

He stated that we need to delay declaring a GOP winner as long
as we can because Obama has too much money and we won’t be abl

My question is WHY can’t the repubs get as much money?

Amjean on January 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The Republican nominee would have to deal with an onslaught of ads from AFL-CIO, SEIU, AARP, NEA, etc etc. It’s not just OFA and DNC that would be hammering them with attacks. One or two GOP SuperPACs aren’t going to cut it.

Hostile Gospel on January 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Still have absolutely no desire to support Santorum. He can’t ignite a campfire let alone enough voters to be the nominee.

kerrhome on January 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Hostile Gospel on January 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I think that conservatives would rise up and contribute every
dime they had to defeat Obama.

And I am not sure the jihadists and the overseas contributions
will be as much as in 2008. I think the world has pretty much
had it with him.

You are right about the Union ads tho. They will be many.

It is almost February. If our candidate could be declared
by spring they would have six months to tour the country and gather
up voter support. I still think the meet and greets are the
best way to appeal to voters.

Amjean on January 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

14) Brags about expanding entitlements (medicare part D)
23) Increases minimum wage
32) Increased funding for Headstart
42) Passed welfare reform act

BUT…

Those were my favorites.

ModerateMan on January 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Those are exactly the words I have been using to describe Lil’ Ricky. socially conservative socialist

Bingo!

honeybadger on January 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Rick Santorum, the most conservative of all the republican candidates, has not been able to catch the attention of the tea party.
He spent alot of money while he was senator.
That goes against the tea party mantra.
His social views also exclude the moderate vote.

BedBug on January 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I hope Santorum stays in as long as Gingrich does, ’cause it really helps Romney.

captn2fat on January 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Hey Ricky. Funny thing is, he kinda looks like Santorum….

captn2fat on January 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

There’s not much interest for Rick Santy on this site. Last night I got home…and 4 or 5 hours after a piece was presented, there
were less than 40 comments.(today it shows 41 comments). That hurt!

KOOLAID2 on January 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I like Santorum, he’s a good conservative and all, but let’s face it, it’d be a miracle if he finishes any higher than third come Tuesday. Couple that with this third-place finish in South Carolina, and you’ve got a candidate whose candidacy is definitely on the ropes while his money continues to dry up. Look for him to pull out of the race soon, and for the vast majority of his conservative supporters to flock to Newt. Once that happens, it’s game over for Romney.

jfs756 on January 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM

So what? Who cares? And who’s spreading the rumors anyway? Does it matter in the overall scheme of things? This 24×7 news cycle really needs a lengthy timeout.

I saw Santorum on with Greta last night and unless it was an actor portraying him on TV, he said he was going home on Saturday specifically to get some documents from his home computer that he’ll need in order to release his tax returns. He didn’t specify which state was home. Whatever he does didn’t matter then like it doesn’t matter now. Nor do I care whether he or any others release their tax returns–except for deadbeats like Timmy the tax cheat and the other deadbeats in Obluffer’s administration who haven’t bothered to pay their FAIR SHARE yet.

Hypocrites.

stukinIL4now on January 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

captn2fat on January 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

From a different point of view; that’s what ticks me off about Santorum. He is helping Romney by staying in the race now.

IndeCon on January 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM

workingclass artist on January 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

And as you remember last Sunday told CNN Candy Crowley he is relying on the support networks from these corrupt influential evangelical political shepherds leaders. Judging by the crowds in Florida for the sacrificial lamb Santorum in comparison to Gingrich, wow, hundreds vs. thousands. Some dude said it best on Twitter just now, that “bounce” that was supposed to occur for Santorum bounced off into an Iowa cornfield weeks ago.

Those darn Iowans did it again. Why, oh why, are they first in the nation? Silly sheep led to drought stricken pastures….AGAIN lol.

sunshinek67 on January 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

ModerateMan on January 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I am so sick of the Santorum is a socialist lie. I suppose Jim Demint has an ACU rating of 1000, right, since a socialist like Santorum has a lifetime ACU rating of 88?

Is it perfect? No, but show me someone running who has a perfect conservative record. Please, I’m dying to see it so I can start supporting that person. Otherwise, stop calling Santorum a socialist. You and any honest person knows it is a lie.

pannw on January 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Santorum beat Romney and Gingrich in the Florida debates. I appreciate the post debate commentaries when they add to my own observations. I don’t appreciate them when they seem to have been watching a different event.

K Michael ODonovan on January 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM