New Rasmussen poll in FL puts Romney up by 8

posted at 9:15 am on January 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Mitt Romney’s performance in Monday’s debate turned out to be a game-changer after all.  Three days after a Rasmussen poll of likely Republican primary voters showed Newt Gingrich up by nine points, a new survey taken yesterday shows Romney has an eight-point lead heading into tonight’s CNN debate:

Mitt Romney has jumped back ahead in the fevered Florida Republican Primary race with his support back to where it was before Newt Gingrich’s big win Saturday in South Carolina.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Florida Republican Primary Voters, taken Wednesday night, shows Romney with 39% support to Gingrich’s 31%. Former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum earns 12%, and Texas Congressman Ron Paul runs last with nine percent (9%). Four percent (4%) prefer some other candidate, and seven percent (7%) are undecided.

That’s a ten-point drop for Gingrich since Sunday’s survey, and a seven-point gain for Romney.  The momentum of the debate performance, and perhaps the renewed aggression on the campaign trail for Romney, seems to be firmly established in new polling.  That makes tonight a must-win evening for Gingricg, and that probably means a lot of bloody knuckles for both men.

Let’s take a look at the differences in the internals.  Very conservative voters still choose Gingrich as the stronger candidate against Obama, but that’s down to 47/34 from 56/24 in the earlier survey.  Women had given a three-point edge to Romney on this question, but that has now jumped to 22 points, 52/30, and men now give Romney a nine-point lead where Gingrich had a double-digit advantage.  The overall rating on this question now favors Romney by 15 points, 49/34, where Gingrich led by 3 on Sunday.  Gingrich’s favorability didn’t change much at 63/35, but Romney’s increased to 73/25.

This looks like a very volatile race, though.  A big debate stumble by Romney could reverse this yet again.  However, with the tax issue off the table and every other line of attack likely to be a rerun, there’s a question about whether Gingrich can find another way to knock Romney off his stride as he did in South Carolina, or go after the media like he did to win in two debates there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

INDEED: RomneyCare = ObamaCare

Czar of Defenestration on January 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Maybe it was over your head.

If you’d like it explained, send me an e-mail.

Emperor Norton on January 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM

It must have over my head so I would like to take you up on your offer and send you an email. Please provide. Thanks in advance.

Jailbreak on January 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Read the link to Illegal Insurrection, pretty eye opening, not that I needed any “validation” of my views of Newt as I remember him back to early ’90s. I saw some derision of HA on other blogs and at first I did not understand why, it is pretty clear now the reasons. When HA contributors themselves lead the clueless brigade with constant pro-Romney misguided views (to be very polite) why should anyone expect the herd to act any differently.

riddick on January 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM

(1) Would be nice if you provided the link for us — or is it just just that site in general. And, exactly why does Jacobson’s site carry more weight than others? (It’s a serious question; not a sarc.) (2) Aren’t the posters (Ed, Allah, Jazz, etc.) allowed to have their own opinion and, by extension, express that opinion? Why would their choice of topics or the content of HA be any different than, say, Huffpo, or other lefty sites — they all express a point of view.

Last time I checked, the HA URL was not welded into the code of your browser; if you don’t like the — er — message, then you can choose not to partake.

Better yet, set up your own site and post some of your enlightened opinions on it. see if they attact a following like HA has.

The War Planner on January 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

This site has some very interesting information and video to back it up -

Romney and his goons’ lies are catching up to him.

mozalf on January 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Darn – all those *establishment* types voting for the only electable canidadte: Mitt Romney.

This is getting beyond rediculous that any support for the obvious choice in the race, is considered “establishment”. They have practically the same views on every issue, except one actually has a chance of winning and bringing aboard some independents.

kage on January 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Yesterday Newt told an audience that he wanted to colonize the moon. This guy is a nut and if you want Obama out as I do you can’t go for this clown. He needs to go away pronto. All this stuff about him criticizing Reagan makes me sick. Do everyone a favor Newt – go away. Two weeks ago he was against Romney making money. Newt is an ass clown.

kozmo on January 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Newt Mitt is a sick embarrassment.

Jailbreak on January 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Schadenfreude on January 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Not as much as you circling around my request to provide a list of Romney’s Conservative accomplishments.

kingsjester on January 26, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I always love this argument:

“Please compare the political accomplishments of someone who has spent his entire egotistical life in the political realm with someone who answered the call to be a Republican governor in a Democratic state for one term.”

“Oh and, by the way, private sector accomplishments don’t count, because I said they don’t.”

That’s quite the logic pretzel you’ve baked.

thirtyandseven on January 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM

What’s happened, have I missed something? I thought Newt was on fire after his stunning win in South Carolina.

SC.Charlie on January 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Grease fires burn well, just don’t get any on ya.

captn2fat on January 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Very conservative voters still choose Gingrich as the stronger candidate against Obama …

Conservatives (including myself) need to get a clue (I have) about Newt.

Because she has Newt figured out (and is VERY EASY on the eyes) we start with S. E. Cupp:
Cupp on Newt (he wishes!)

To support her view of Newt, we have the following:
‘The Real Newt Gingrich’ by Robert McManus of the John Birch Society:
Part 1 (15 minutes)
Part 2 (15 minutes)
Part 3 (3 minutes)

Carnac on January 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM

How can childish stupidity be over somebody’s head. You can POSSIBLY think that your stupid post was capable of being over somebody’s head. My 8th grade daughter would be embarrassed to write something that silly and void of substance. Yes, I want fries with that.

Jailbreak on January 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Jailbreak, baby, chill out. I posted some of those slogans back in April. Nobody went nuclear except you–here in the primary season. I’ve seen some of your posts and I assume that you’re a paid operative for Romney campaign.

I guess you can’t handle ridicule of Romney, but he can’t handle it, either.

Next time I will use short, clear sentences so you can follow along. And I will say something complimentary about Willard, Lord Romney. I think you’re going to like that.

Emperor Norton on January 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Bye, Newt. Hello, Obama…again. *Sigh*

Decoski on January 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

pamiam on January 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Thankyou for that, I hope that makes it to MSM but I doubt it.Newt has shown he can reign in the Dems. If memory serves me right,if not for Newt. Hillarycare would have been forced down our throats along time ago. Why is it we can`t come up with one Canidate that excites and instills pride? The more the media tries to shove Romney down our throats the more suspicious I get. We have family that have fled the impossible cost of living in Mass. According to them the taxes have gone through the roof, trying to offset the cost of Romneycare. They say his record shows him to lean more left than right and out of touch to the ripple effects he caused in Mass. We don`t need much to take down the sitting Wizard of Oz and yet here I am worried that Ron Paul is gonna split the vote, as students write in name and vote out of disgust. Is it any wonder alcohol sales are on the rise!

LSUMama on January 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Carnac on January 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM

thirtyandseven on January 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Rush is as convoluted as I am. All this coordinated attack in one day in one state (with some stuff true) with his memory as good as he has it there’s tons of stuff he did NOT know. And there’s tons of stuff that is NOT true!

What he just said before the break is true…we have to keep this going. As soon as we pick “our one” Obama will start hammering us till November.

Wanna brace for impact starting in March?

ProudPalinFan on January 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I am in love with S.E. Cupp. She’s so friggin dead on, no matter what she’s writing about.</blockquote

I'm in love with C-Cupp (sorry I couldn't resist)

gerrym51 on January 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I think many of us are unhappy with either of the choices left. I am not a Romneybot. He’s actually my thrid choice who is now my first due to attrition. I think the swing back to Romney is because once Newt became a real possiblity that he got a harder look than he did before. Newt is self inflicting on alot of fronts right now. Reagan, Immigration, Attacking investment income etc. etc. The “attacks” if you want to call them that are NOTHING compared to what’s to come if he gets the nod. To me both Newt and Mitt have their negatives. Weighing the two the scale is tilted slightly to Mitt. I say this with no great enthusasim but if I have to pick between the lesser of two evils it’s Mitt. Then you factor in the likeability and electibility. Mitt is not very likeable. Newt even less so. I really don’t think Newt can beat 0bama. It’s sad that this is the best we could come up with but I don’t think we can stand another 4 years of 0webama.

Minnfidel on January 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Romney cleaned Newt’s clock last debate. Encore tonight.

scotash on January 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Gingrich could still win of course, but if he did it’d probably be a squeaker rather than a blowout.

WolvenOne on January 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM

..no sarcasm here: you should really, really consider blogging. Your writing is very cogent and coherent and entertaining (in a good sense).

The War Planner on January 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Thank you very much, I appreciate that. I’ve considered it a few times in the past, but not only am I a fairly busy person, but I lack the sort of credentials necessary to be taken seriously by many individuals.

On top of that, the older I get the more I care about the future of the country. In the past two years it has gotten so bad that I find myself focusing more and more on the cold hard numbers behind politics. The human aspect of politics, the grand philosophies and emotions that motivate individuals is often just too much for me to bare.

Seeing as I’m already struggling not to emotionally invest myself any further, blogging seriously would probably be a bad idea.

But again, thank you, its always nice to hear a good compliment. :)

WolvenOne on January 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Schadenfreude on January 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

1) Tried to reduce taxes. Blocked by legislature even though the voters approved the cut.
2) Vetoed card check
3) Fought excessive protection of government workers (excluding Police and FF)
4) Proposed fewer regulations on wetlands.
5) Increased from 15% to 25% the portion new state workers had to pay for benefits
6) Got a rebate of $275 million from 2002 taxes.
7) Consolidated bureaucracies saving millions.
8) Made $400 million in cuts in 2006.
9) Cato scored him better than Barbour, Jeb Bush, and others. Certainly not perfect, but hardly a liberal.
10) Opposed driver’s licenses and in-state college tuition for illegals
11) defending Catholic Charities’ in restricting adoptions to same sex couples.

I’m sure there are more. But you know as well as I that these have been posted here time, and time, and time, and time again. These are solidly conservative issues, but to many here, all that matters is a state run insurance mandate that he will not support on the federal level. Period. He has promised to repeal, waive, or whatever it takes, even using the same process the dems used to push it through.

That’s it. I wont list these again. If you refuse to admit he has solid conservative values, then there is no sense discussing it further, is there?

csdeven on January 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Florida has been seriously infected with the dreaded LEMMING bacteria, Mhit-For-Brains!!! Once infected, so-called conservatives follow the Republicrat establishment right off the cliff. You know, the same one that granny got thrown over!!!
Mhit-For-Brains takes over one’s ability to exercise ANY common sense.

Colatteral Damage on January 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM

csdeven on January 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Thanks. I’ll consider all.

FYI, Newt’s conservative number is 93, just 3 short of Saxby Chambliss…for you to also keep in mind.

Schadenfreude on January 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Bye, Newt. Hello, Obama…again. *Sigh*

Decoski on January 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Heartbreaking, indeed. Go gulching. It’s easier.

Schadenfreude on January 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Gingrich, aka Gingbat, is a bombastic bipolar barking buffoon.

VorDaj on January 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Last time I checked Drudge had 12 stories (incl. MAIN HEADLINE) smearing Newt Gingrich. 0 negative for Romney

apocalypse on January 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Drudge are in HIGH GEAR attacking Gingrich for Romney and I am not supporting either candidate… Drudge Report = Romney SHILL

apocalypse on January 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Gingrich, aka Gingbat, is a bombastic bipolar barking buffoon.

VorDaj on January 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Agree… But he is not a Fn’g Liberal…. Which Romney is… So don’t waste u’r vote on Romney… Just vote for Obama…

Y314K on January 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Now I know why I don’t waste my time with Drudge.

Colatteral Damage on January 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM

A president should be someone with executive experience, a proven leadership abilities tested under fire, an ability to get things done through others and with others, an ability to hire outstanding personnel then motivate them to operate an effective organization that can set and meet goals, the ability to put the country ahead of personal whims and partisan politics, and an understanding of the role of presidency in a constitutional framework and a willingness to follow it.

Does Newt Gingrich meet one of these qualifications?

Let me say this: Newt Gingrich is a disaster when it comes to working for with others and developing an organization. Newt Gingrich is totally disorganized and has the worse campaign organization on the planet. He is perpetually over-scheduled and winds up being late to every event. He cannot even get on the ballots in some states because his campaign doesn’t have a clue. In his days of Speaker people charitably called his office chaotic. He has gone through one campaign organization in this election and the only reason he is still in the race is that the people (who knows how many of them were actually Republicans) in SC liked how he bullied John King, a friend of his. That is his total claim to front runner status – being a bully. He tried to bully Wolf Blitzer and was getting his righteous indignation pumped up for another bullying outburst but Wolf and Romney deflated that pretty effectively.

He is the worse candidate the Republicans could nominate. By far. I am glad the people in FL are coming to their senses.

MadJayhawk on January 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM