In case you care: Barney Frank is engaged

posted at 4:15 pm on January 26, 2012 by Tina Korbe

What — did you think that because he is retiring from Congress you wouldn’t have to hear about him ever again? Very sorry to bring him up, but here’s a shameless bit of salacious gossip for y’all:

Engaged: Barney Frank, 71, and longtime partner Jim Ready, 42, the congressman’s office confirmed for us Thursday, following a report by New England Cable News. Where? In Massachusetts, where gay nuptials were made legal in 2004. When? Sorry, that’s all the details they’d give. Frank is set to leave Congress next winter after 32 years, and he’s said the rigors of the job and the desire to devote more time to his relationship were factors. “I have a partner now,” Frank told Charlie Rose in an interview a couple weeks ago. “I’m in love for the first time in my life.”

There’s so much in that paragraph that I don’t like (nor do I want to contemplate the report that Frank’s partner is practically a Todd Palin lookalike), but if this Ready guy is one of the reasons he’s retiring, well then … I offer a weird and conflicted “yay!” to this news. (We all know redistricting is the real reason for Frank’s retirement — and, honestly, the definition of marriage is too important a cultural issue to make light of, but sometimes I laugh so as not to cry.)

Anyway. Let’s move quickly to a more relevant related question: What was Mitt Romney’s role in the legalization of same-sex marriage in Massachusetts in 2004? You might already know the answer, but I was fuzzy on the details, so I just spent a bit of time researching and am satisfied Romney’s not to blame for Barney Frank’s impending wedding.

As with so much of his political record, Romney’s part in the Massachusetts marriage drama was constrained by certain inalterable parameters. In other words, the excuse for his participation in gay marriage legalization is the same as his excuse for many of the sketchier parts of his past: He was the governor of the blue-as-blue-can-be Bay State, remember?

As a quick refresher: In 2004, the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts ultimately determined that a ban on same-sex marriage was contrary to the constitution of the state — and gave the legislature 180 days to change the state’s marriage laws accordingly. The legislature hadn’t taken action by May 17, the fixed deadline, but, that day, then-Gov. Mitt Romney nevertheless ordered town clerks to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples so as to comply with the SJC’s decision. Later, though, he fought to ensure that the Massachusetts legislature at least granted a vote to a voters’ initiative to amend the state constitution to ban same-sex marriages. It was Gov. Deval Patrick who signed the repeal of a 1913 law that made it illegal for Massachusetts to grant a marriage license to non-resident couples if the marriage would be invalid in their home state. Deval’s signature opened the floodgates for non-resident same-sex couples to receive marriage licenses from Massachusetts. So, Mitt had nothing to do with that.

On this, Mitt Romney’s record is conflicted only because he demonstrated commitment to abiding by the state constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Judicial Court.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Engagged

faraway on January 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Is there a pre nup?

OmahaConservative on January 26, 2012 at 5:01 PM

My question is who appointed the liberal majority to the MA Supreme Court?

preallocated on January 26, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Is Matt Drudge invited to the wedding?

Punchenko on January 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM

…ahahahhahaha salute !

apocalypse on January 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

IOW, the Frank-Ready wedding.

Christien on January 26, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Great…the groomsmen can be Weiner – Holder!!!

askwhatif on January 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Congwrags Bawrney,
Now get the —- out!

angrymike on January 26, 2012 at 5:03 PM

If it lasts for more than 4 hours….call a physician immediately!

KOOLAID2 on January 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

The only dude Frank should be tying the knot with is his cell-mate.

stefanite on January 26, 2012 at 4:47 PM

For people like Bawnee Fwunk, jail is like Disney Land,
he will actually have too much fun there ;-)

burrata on January 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

From now on Barney Frank insists on being referred to simply as ‘Rough’.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Rick Perry has sent the bride and groom a wedding gift. It’s a pair of stirrups.

they lie on January 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM

askwhatif on January 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

To be bipartisan, shouldn’t that be Chaffetz-Weiner?

Christien on January 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Kind of robbing the cradle, don’t you think?

lea on January 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM

burrata on January 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I would love to see the gift registry.

bopbottle on January 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Cougar?

Sherman1864 on January 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Here ya go man… I hope you get back to your old self again soon

apocalypse on January 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Thanks, bro!!!!

UltimateBob on January 26, 2012 at 5:15 PM

lea on January 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Why would anyone gay or straight esp. a congressman (who I thought used to kind of set an example) grab someone’s butt in public? Just shows you the uncouth, slob that Frank is.

arnold ziffel on January 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Gotta say some great comments, butt will he wear white?

angrymike on January 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I wonder which DC bath house getaway they will honeymoon at?

DdubYa on January 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I would love to see the gift registry.

bopbottle on January 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Mitt does not want that registry released.

they lie on January 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Are they listed yet at crate and barrel or Bed, Bath and Beyond? I want to get them something! Perhaps a set of rubber sheets. Or maybe the’re listed at Toys are Us…Do you suppose they have a twister set? I’m a giver, I want to help the new groom and groom. I guess I could always give them a gift certificate to a bath house. The possibilities are just endless.

buckeyerich on January 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM

My question is who appointed the liberal majority to the MA Supreme Court?

Romney, elected governor 1992. supreme court ruled 1993.
Romney appointed NONE of the supreme court justices

gerrym51 on January 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM

arnold ziffel on January 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM
gerrym51 on January 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Gay marriage opponents gathered enough signatures to force a Constitutional Convention to vote on the amendment, but the amendment failed to pass the second of two required Constitutional Convention votes. Wikipedia (“Same Sex Marriage in Massachusetts”) credits Mitt Romney with fighting the Legislature’s delaying tactics prior to the first vote. Ultimately, the measure failed the final vote by 5 votes.

cam2 on January 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM

buckeyerich on January 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM

How about a gift certificate to the next Oromney fund raising dinner, in honor of his making this marriage possible.

they lie on January 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

they lie on January 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Is this a reference to Rick getting swishy during that speech in NH?

KeninCT on January 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Willard had promised Log Cabin club, a group of homosexual activist RINOs, that he would not impede efforts to impose homosexual coupling in MA. The MA Constitution specifically requires that the issue of marriage is solely within the power of the Legislature.

UPHOLDING JUDICIAL SUPREMACY VIS A VIS THE CO EQUAL BRANCHES IS NOT THE MARK OF A CONSTITUTIONALIST!!!

wraithby on January 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Fist partner not for hire? He must be a looker, Barney is such a catch. Barney has always maintained good cover, face/body like a tub of guts (very ungay male) dresses like the homeless (ungay male) anyone know if he can dance? Will wear white?

StevC on January 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Rabbi Goldenrod to officiate.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Is this a reference to Rick getting swishy during that speech in NH?

KeninCT on January 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Uh, no. Cowboys… Texas… Horses… Bareback… Stirrups. Connect the dots.

they lie on January 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM

In case you care: Barney Frank is engaged

aww, I can’t care enough :-)…

jimver on January 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Bathhouses and male escorts across the nation collectively weep.

Rockshine on January 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM

It’s nice to laugh at the comments after all the tension of the primaries

evergreenland on January 26, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Gotta say some great comments, butt will he wear white?

angrymike on January 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM

something blue too??…maybe…

jimver on January 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

And what about the Honeymoon, Where do you think they’ll go. San Francisco perhaps. Maybe the Pelosi family can find them a nice bed and breakfast. Oh I know…The Virgin Islands, or how about a trip to Porktugal.

buckeyerich on January 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Maybe the Pelosi family can find them a nice bed and breakfast. buckeyerich on January 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

she’s rented them da historic Couch in her mansion :-)…recycling is Nan’s second nature :-)…

jimver on January 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM

But he didn’t have to to anything regarding gay marriage.

Here’s what the Mass Constitution says:

Article V. All causes of marriage, divorce, and alimony, and all appeals from the judges of probate shall be heard and determined by the governor and council, until the legislature shall, by law, make other provision.

I don’t see anything in there that says anything about judges deciding matters of marriage. So, the MASJC basically said the MA Constitution was unconstitutional (what they should have done, was told the plaintiffs to petition their legislators).
Since the MA Legislature sat on it, it fell to Mittens to decide what to do (see above) and he could have said, “hey, the legislature hasn’t done anything with this, so it’s status quo until they do.” Notice from the ruling that the MASJC ordered the Legislature to change the law by May 17th, because the MA Constitution requires this action.

So Mittens did in fact implement gay marriage in MA.

J.H. on January 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM

The man’s in love. Be happy for him.

Dante on January 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Engaged: Barney Frank, 71, and longtime partner Jim Ready, 42

I got this far and had to stop. 71 marries 41? Barney’s a cougar? Just eeeeewwwww.

Buy Danish on January 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Congratulation !! When will we see the little Frank?(Please do not lower you pants)

galtani on January 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM

the little Frank is actually little Liu and she is on her way from China :-)…

jimver on January 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Buy Danish on January 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

more like sugar cougar :-)

jimver on January 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM

So what is the protocol if a Congressperson gets married ?
Is he/she supposed to invite all of his/her fellow Congress peeps ?
Or just from his/her party ?
I would really like to see Keith Muhamed al Hakim Ellison throwing rice at the bride and bride of this wedding :O

burrata on January 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If you don’t think that liberal perspectives don’t eventually become conservative ones look at how decent and relatively good humored the comments are (so far) on this thread.

tommyhawk on January 26, 2012 at 5:53 PM

He will quietly exit his office via the back door…I hope he packed everything he needs…

right2bright on January 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

burrata on January 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM

he’s Jewish, don’t think his rabbi (unless he’s reformed) would be too excited to let any Muhamed anywhere close to the wedding :-)..

jimver on January 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

mapper on January 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

These are the kinds of headlines one reads in a culture in its death throes.

Cleombrotus on January 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Uh, no. Cowboys… Texas… Horses… Bareback… Stirrups. Connect the dots.

they lie on January 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Bareback or Brokeback?

KeninCT on January 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Bareback or Brokeback?

KeninCT on January 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

at a scond look, both :-)…though bare chest (Putins tyle :) is not unappealing either :-)…

jimver on January 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Those ManBoobs of his will fill out the Dress!!

Political Chef on January 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Mitt and gay marriage

Staver is also the dean of Liberty University Law School. His work on behalf of constitutional law has been endorsed by three of the most pivotal figures in Christian political activism, who have since passed away — D. James Kennedy, Jerry Falwell, and Bill Bright. Staver is a trustee of the Supreme Court Historical Society. He’s written 11 books. He may or may not meet Gov. Romney’s definition of a respected legal mind, but his bio begs to differ.

Staver identifies the one place where Santorum was not correct.

Santorum said:

So Governor Romney was faced with a choice. Go along with the Court or go along with the Constitution and the statute. He chose the Court, and ordered people to issue gay-marriage licenses and went beyond that. He personally, as Governor, issued gay marriage licenses.

Staver makes it clear that Romney didn’t “choose the Court.” Instead (“Yet, Gov. Romney on his own went ahead of the Legislature and forced the implementation of same-sex marriage”), Romney acted totally on his own without any constitutional authority whatsoever and imposed same-sex marriage on Massachusetts by fiat. He forced Justices of the Peace in the Bay State to Issue “Partner A/Partner B” marriage licenses instead of ones reading “Husband/Wife.” I am told that a small number of JPs resigned rather than do so. And yes, he indeed, as Santorum said, “personally … issued (some of those) gay marriage licenses.”

catquilt on January 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM

buckeyerich on January 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Bangkok?

Left Coast Right Mind on January 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Have no clue why anyone would want to nibble on that fruit basket.

I feel dirty all of a sudden, eww, just the thought of it.

nwpammy on January 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Newt weighs in, generally speaking.

Buy Danish on January 26, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Thailand’s Capitol City–Perfect Honeymoon Spot!
Back in the 80s some guy even made a song about it that went something like:

Time flies — doesn’t seem a minute
Since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it
Get Thai’d! You’re talking to a tourist
Whose every move’s among the purest

I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can’t be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I wonder what kind of rings they’ll exchange?

/no I don’t, wish I hadn’t thought that

roy_batty on January 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I kinda liked the tag-line, “In case you care:…”

Why no, no I don’t…

DrScottMD on January 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Bangkok?

Left Coast Right Mind on January 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Is that how it is spelled ? I’m sure it is a hyphenated word
;-)

burrata on January 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I wonder which one of his friends will give him a bridal shower…oh wait…it must be called something else..what?

tinkerthinker on January 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM

burrata on January 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Confucius say: Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok.

(Of course I did that with the appropriate accent in honor of Joe Biden.)

Left Coast Right Mind on January 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM

TMI, dudes, TMI.

jclittlep on January 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Oh, GOODY, I get this one:
Is he pregnant?

ExpressoBold on January 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Ew.

dukecitygirl on January 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Instantaneous projectile vomiting.

FerdtheMoonCat on January 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM

He should be in jail.

lilium479 on January 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM

So this does not make Islamists hate us more than pissing on them?

Bulletchaser on January 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I can just feel all the love of the posters toward Barney. I wish him well in his marriage……….but am elated that he is leaving Congress. However, I know that Massachusetts will elect some other liberal doofus.

SC.Charlie on January 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Congratulations.
But, I’m kind of glad he’s leaving the house.
It is impossible to defend him.

BedBug on January 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I’ve agreed with mensa mutt twice today?
Ok…what’s this drinking game you guys always play?

KOOLAID2 on January 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM

amazingmets on January 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM

*barf*

For so many reasons.

MisterElephant on January 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I don’t think people choose to be gay. But, I think someone has chosen to be in a relationship with Barney Frank, and well I don’t understand why anyone would do that. – amazingmets on January 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Well put.

SC.Charlie on January 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM

jimver on January 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Some libidiot is going to put that flippin’ couch (maybe next to some OWS offal) in the Smithsonian as a historical marker of the “bipartisan” 111th Congress.

*HURL*

MisterElephant on January 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I wonder if any of their home business patrons will be in attendance.

The Count on January 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Pitcher or catcher? Whichever, he’s a disgusting piece of human garbage.

MJZZZ on January 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM

tinkerthinker on January 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM

“Bukkake party”.

arnold ziffel on January 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Gag.

Aronne on January 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

, but if this Ready guy is one of the reasons he’s retiring, well then … I offer a weird and conflicted “yay!” to this news. In the words of Damon Wayans I give it two snaps and around the world

Pirate-Daddy on January 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Maybe the Mayans were right when they made the calendar.

Pirate-Daddy on January 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I’m too lazy (and kind of scared) to actually read anything but the headline for this one (especially if there are icky details). To whom or what is he engaged, and what is the gender, if there is a gender?

TigerPaw on January 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Barney Ready?

A million jokes placed here.

dthorny on January 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Well now he can focus on making just one person miserable.

jhffmn on January 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Just so there is no misunderstanding how I feel about this guy, Barney Frank is a walking talking barf bag.

pilamaye on January 27, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Kind of robbing the cradle, don’t you think?

lea on January 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Powerful man weds extremely attractive, significantly younger partner. Film at 11.

libfreeordie on January 27, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Usually, no matter how bad someone is, you can find at least ONE redeeming quality about them.

Barney? …There is not one single, solitary thing about this douche that doesn’t scream ‘Disgusting Evil Scumbag’.

What’s worse? Think about this… he is continually ELECTED by a MAJORITY of people who LIKE him in his district. That whole place should be disinfected.

a5minmajor on January 27, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I’d like to attend just so I could throw rice at him.

Dork B. on January 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Wow, Barney’s finally tying the knot and while doing so, literally robbing the cradle. I always thought the prospective groom would be Freddie Mac as Barney always had something dear about Freddie and Fanny, or something like that.

stuartm80127 on January 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Do you think they are registered at Macy’s?

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I bet gay divorce isn’t far behind.

runawayyyy on January 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

……..and no, I don’t care.

Alabama Patriot on January 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM