Rubio to Romney’s rescue? Update: Gingrich retreats

posted at 1:20 pm on January 25, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

And not for the first time this week, either.  Tea Party sensation Senator Marco Rubio has remained officially neutral in the Republican presidential primary race, but that may end up changing, in practice if not in declaration.  Two days in a row, Rubio has come to the defense of Mitt Romney, scolding Newt Gingrich for misrepresenting Romney while campaigning in Florida, this time on immigration (via the Boss Emeritus):

Sen. Marco Rubio scolded Newt Gingrich’s presidential campaign over a Spanish-language radio ad that accuses rival Mitt Romney of being “anti-immigrant.”

“This kind of language is more than just unfortunate. It’s inaccurate, inflammatory, and doesn’t belong in this campaign,” Rubio told The Miami Herald when asked about the ad.

“The truth is that neither of these two men is anti-immigrant,” Rubio said. “Both are pro-legal immigration and both have positive messages that play well in the Hispanic community.”

Rubio’s sharp rebuke comes a day after he subtly corrected Gingrich for comparing Romney to former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, branded by conservatives as a turncoat who left the party before Rubio beat him in 2010.

Subtly?  Not exactly.  Rubio slammed the comparison, reminding Florida voters that Romney campaigned for Rubio against Crist in 2010, and was “one of the first national Republican leaders to endorse me.”  The statement didn’t name Gingrich, but the message was clear — Romney made a difference on behalf of Rubio, not Crist, and apparently did more than Gingrich in that effort.  The only thing missing from that statement was a mention of DeDe Scozzafava.

Rubio’s opinion will make a great deal of difference to conservatives in the Sunshine State, which Rubio obviously knows.  He’s taking care not to tip his hand, especially since either one of the two front-runners might want Rubio as a running mate (which I believe would be a mistake for Rubio, but that’s a subject for another post).  However, having to come to Romney’s defense twice to answer attacks from Gingrich — and especially reminding voters which of the two men took Rubio’s side earliest in the Senate race — is bound to have an impact on how conservative Florida voters perceive Rubio’s position.  And given Rubio’s popularity nationally among Tea Party activists and grassroots conservatives, these defenses could have an impact well beyond Florida.

Update: Newt Gingrich’s team has now agreed to pull the ad after more than a dozen Hispanic politicians in Florida joined Rubio in demanding it:

In the wake of Sen. Marco Rubio’s denunciation of Newt Gingrich’s ad calling Mitt Romney ‘anti-immigrant,’ the Romney campaign’s Hispanic leadership team — headlined by former Sen. Mel Martinez — is demanding that Gingrich pull down the radio spot.

But Gingrich already plans to do it.

“We respect Senator Rubio tremendously and will remove the ad from the rotation. We will replace it with a positive message that will continue to focus on drawing contrast between our clear vision on the issues important to the hispanic community and our oponnents lack thereof,” Gingrich’s Florida campaign chairman, Jose Mallea, said.

Looks like Gingrich doesn’t want to force Rubio into choosing sides.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Yeah, but it’s no longer natural. People will be expecting it. Doubtful John King let’s him do it again.

rubberneck on January 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM

King will be there? I thought Wolf Blitzer…

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I wouldn’t trust Newt as far as I can sh*t.

Gelsomina on January 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

don’t know exactly what it means, but love the candor and creativity :-)

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:33 PM

You call it spin but it is a fact. He was ALL over the country helping the conservative cause.

g2825m on January 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Really? You are still spinning. If that was even half true, it was the best kept secret of 2010, LOL

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Swerve22 on January 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Who broke it first? Gov. Romney. No wait it was Gov. Romney’s PAC.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM

True and before that during the first debate that Gov. Perry was in, his advisors were out calling Perry a liar and worse on S.S.

Romney’s lying during the debate about his book and his advisors attacks when the debate was ending was enough for me. Romney put out video ads distorting what Perry said also. I have no use for Romney, none.

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM

BOOM!

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:33 PM

actually Romney was very active in the mid-term elections. He often hit several campaign stops, for different candidates, in different states on the same day. He raised more money and contributed to more endorsed candidates than any other PAC.

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM

“Measured against the scale and momentum of the Soviet empire’s challenge, the Reagan administration has failed, is failing, and without a dramatic change in strategy will continue to fail. . . . President Reagan is clearly failing.”

Newton Leroy Gingrich

Gunlock Bill on January 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Ouch. that is definitely going to leave a mark.

csdeven on January 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I don’t know who’s in charge of moving a post to Top Picks, but what about some equal time and moving this post over since it was published later, but has still edged this one out slightly in comment #s?

INC on January 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM

King will be there? I thought Wolf Blitzer…

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM

It just doesn’t matter who the victim moderator is tomorrow night. Newty has a axe with his name all over it. #winning!

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Quoting me from a week ago. I think Gunlock Billie Bob has a crush.

angryed on January 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM

You are being stalked, LOL

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM

True…without a blink of the eye! No Mitt!

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

BOOM!

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM

they proved him a demagogue and an opportunist who would say anything to get elected…by withdrawing it he admits that he is just that and that he did it all for political expediency, not that he believed for a second anything that was in that ad…

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Exactly right! But now I’m a little concerned for the safety of tomorrow night’s moderator. Newty’s getting desperate again…

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM

What conclusions have you drawn?

The word “establishment” is used to describe your opponent.

Just for fun… which of the Romney endorsements are from anti-establishment types; and which of Newt’s are from establishment RINOs?

TitularHead on January 25, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I don’t know, nor do I care.

I just find it strange and hypocritical to claim Romney is the “establishment” guy and Gingrich is not.

Gingrich has made millions working within the Washington DC money/power machine.

Romney made his millions in the private sector.

That tells me all I need to know.

Gunlock Bill on January 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Who? Newt or Mitt? They have both done the same except for Mitt not removing his lies( not taking responcibility).

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM

g2825m on January 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

The problem I have with your opinion is that you are the ONLY one I have ever heard this from. I was quite involved during 2009/2010 with a online group and NEVER heard this from ANYONE. We covered almost everything from bloggers across the Country. Just find it strange that wasn’t heard of.

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM

THIS. is what I have been telling anti-Romney posters on HA for the last 9 months that it has been ROMNEY that has been out there with HIS MONEY and SUPPORT long before 2010 to help these TPers get elected in 2010 MORE THAN ANY OTHER PERSON. I am glad Rubio pointed this out!

HA posters to begin calling Rubio, Kelly Ayotte, Nikki Haley, a RINO in 3, 2, 1, ….

g2825m on January 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

N.B. Rudy was also out campaigning for Rubio. Interesting that two NE outsiders were behind Rubio and other Tea Party favorites–while Newt and the Washington insider crowd were backing establishment favorites like Scozzafava. It’s laughable to consider Newt anti-establishment. He was far more of an Washington insider than Romney. This is why I think the fight is regional. Southerners–including Rush and many bloggers–discount Newt’s D.C. connection because he’s a good ol’ boy and because they loathe Northeastern politicians. This is also why NH won’t give Southerners much of a break. It’s a regional fight. Unfortunately for Gingrich the central swing states are not in his corner.

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Senator Rubio where were you in Nov & Dec. when Romney was destroying Newt with lie after lie in ads he and his super pack were running .Be equal with your criticism or just shut up.

logman1 on January 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Great point. I don’t recall hearing anything either. Guess Rubio is endorsing Romney via his criticism of Newt.

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Hope you don’t get hives or something because your so concerned.

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I heard Wolf will wear protective gear and have a taser gun handy :-)…

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Great points. Which reminds me, why is that anti-Romney paranoids were dismissing his victory in New Hampshire because it was “in his backyard” but don’t want to admit that South Carolina is in Newty’s “backyard” too?

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Let me be as gentle as I can.

You being ignorantunaware of something isn’t really “proof” of absence of said thing.

Gunlock Bill on January 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Yeah, O’Reilly would love that spin.

I cannot for the life of me wonder why people here cannot accept ANY facts about Romney. He has helped MORE TPers and regular Joe Republicans get elected in 2010 than any other person…with the possible exception of Palin. However, her support came via media and endorsements. Romney’s came in the way of MUCH NEEDED cash and campaigning for them. He was ALL over the country and MANY TPer candidates thanked him for it…all while many here on HA at the time had their eyes closed saying Where’s Romney? He was the one raising the cash and campaigning for them while Palin was getting the face time on FoxNews. This is just a fact. I just want to see a little honesty by certain HA posters in recognizing Romney fro this without having to rip him and be cynical about it. I am not saying Kick and Swim is here as I am referring to other Romney bashers…and they know who they are. :o)

g2825m on January 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I remember Romney did campaign for some folks leading up to the 2010 elections, but it was candidates like Scott Brown in Massachusetts. Scott Brown is hardly the TEA party darling anymore. Brown’s type of politics is stamped in the Romney mold.

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Ya see…mine is bigger than yours.

timberline on January 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

You go timberline!! That is a quite an impressive list, thanks!

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I heard Wolf will wear protective gear and have a taser gun handy :-)…

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

LMAO! Safety first.

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Let me repeat what I just wrote in the Newt calls Mitt lacking humanity thread:
GAWD. MAKE. IT. STOP. NOW!
Bobby Jindal, pick UP the bleepin’ red phone…NOW!
*bangs head on desk*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Palin endorsed McCain…some Political maneuvers are not ideologically based.

Seems to me Rubio was very quick to nix the idea of a Senate Tea Party Caucus.

Ultimately, Rubio talks like Reagan, and votes like McConnell. After his PIPA stunt he’s just another establishment lackey. ‘Sure, I’ll vote for Big Govt. if the campaign contributions flow in…’

sad

Afterseven on January 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Hope you don’t get hives or something because your so concerned.

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

On behalf of all of us who want Obama to be defeated in November, I’m concerned that Newt’s attacking the moderator (entertaining, of course) is being mistaken for debating skills…and electability.

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Gov. Romney even campaigned for the evil Christine O’Donnell and while I am fine with giving him credit for being a good Republican, Newt is insulted.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM

This criticism would hold more punch if it wasn’t used to defend, essentially, Newt Gingrich.

NEWT GINGRICH.

Is there anyone here who would argue, with a straight fact, that Gingrich isn’t all about Newt Gingrich?

Vyce on January 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I’m actually more of a Santorum supporter, but would take Newt in a heartbeat over Mitt. I especially think that Romney’s surrogates on TV and in these threads are nasty folks and do more harm than good for him. They’ve been on the attack against anyone anti-Romney for weeks now. Well, the rest of us are finally pushing back.

I supported Romney in 2008, but he is such a phony wearing a thin veneer of conservatism who is clearly trying to buy this election. He is outspending Newt in Florida 20 to 1 and tries to play the annointed one while his surrogates do his dirty work. No thanks. I hope Gingrich cleans his clock, and if Gingrich falls, Santorum will be there to carry the conservative vote.

KickandSwimMom on January 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM

wait that’s a positive? Last time I looked the base of the gop was for stronger enforcement, building a fence, and kicking illegals out of the country.

unseen on January 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Never have understood why ‘enforcement’ of our laws is controversial. The law is the law! Is that difficult?
Let’s all get together and not pay parking tickets, or speeding tickets, or other civil fines. If there are enough of us…will they roll over and tell us they have no way of enforcing anything.
AMNESTY FOR US!

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Afterseven on January 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Which is why I don’t want him to be the V.P. nominee, nobody really knows who or what he is, just potential.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Up in the Air; Travels With Mitt Romney Some candidates that Romney campaigned for in 2010.

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Palin endorsed McCain…some Political maneuvers are not ideologically based.

Seems to me Rubio was very quick to nix the idea of a Senate Tea Party Caucus.

sad

Afterseven on January 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Rubio is just another RINO. Funny how displays his “selective memory” the way most liberals do, from his “family escaped Castro” tear jerker to how TEA Party made his run to the Senate happen when Romney was NEVER with TEA Party to begin with. Just look at Scott in MA, using TEA Party to get there, I know which bet to place now on his “re-election” what with TEA Party learning their lesson and not giving him any support now. Rubio really needs to watch his step now, aligning himself with RINO establishment is not a smart move these days.

riddick on January 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I think when Romney was campaigning back in 2010, he was expecting some quid pro quo in the future which is pretty typical political horse trading.

Romney managed to get Governor Haley’s endorsement in South Carolina, but it seems that Sarah Palin, has more influence with the folks from South Carolina.

It was a mistake for that unknown Romney staffer, to state that “She isn’t a serious human being”

You would think Mitt Romney would have learned by now how long a memory women have :) I know, I haven’t forgotten that insult. Sarah Palin did nothing to deserve to be spoken of in that manner. Romney’s problems are all of his own making.

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Vyce

WRONG!

Newt is about Tiffany’s, the Greek Isles and hitting on female interns to help save the American Republic.

Jeez, don’t you keep up with things?

Horace on January 25, 2012 at 4:07 PM

So, this is the second very salacious, very ugly, unproven sexual accusation you’ve made today. This is precisely what Rose is talking about. This and the Romney people mocking Jesus, the Shroud of Turin and pastors. When you can actually get me to consider not voting for the head of the ticket, you’ve pretty much registered in the red on my outrage meter.

I don’t trust Romney because his record is pretty much opposite of everything I’ve believed about government for 40 years. He’s talking a different game now and I’m not sure why. I would have still voted and worked for him, but his lack of ability to inspire is now being shored up by your and sixshooter and g[number] and pansy and mcclintock’s personal and filthy minded attacks.

The sheeple mafia is not doing their candidate any good. Newtbot is one thing; this kind of lies meant to destroy is something else.

Portia46 on January 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Rubio is just another RINO.
riddick on January 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM

is there anybody who isn’t a RINO? (other than Gingrich, of course :-)…I mean God forbid De Mint endorses Romney, then you’ll have really no one left :-)…

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Pete Cabrera, Doral Councilman
Tim Daubert, Miami Lakes City Councilman
Yioset de la Cruz, Mayor of Hialeah Gardens
Zavier Garcia, Mayor of Miami Springs

Gunlock Bill on January 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

=======================================

After reading all those names in the list, am I really convinced that Romney will be the strongest opponent against illegal immigration?

Romney will owe all those public officials a return favor.
What do you think they’ll ask Romney to give them?
Tougher laws for Latinos? Build that fence at the border?

BUY ROQUEFORT – The other blue cheese!

Typicalwhitewoman on January 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

cicerone on January 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Again one thing leads to another and before ya know it….hives!

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Vyce

WRONG!

Jeez, don’t you keep up with things?

Horace on January 25, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Portia46 on January 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM

huh? was ist ‘salacious, ugly and unproven sexual accusations’?????? OK, Calista wasn’t an intern, but a junior staff, everything else corroborates though :)…

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I am not a fan of endorsements in general and specifically from sitting elected officials. Maybe because I feel that way I believe Gov. Palin’s support to be overblown but regardless, all three people were supporting the party and obviously trying to build good will. I just don’t understand why Newt is penalized and Romney is glorified. As for the staffer, how very stupid.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Portia46 on January 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Yep.

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Portia46 on January 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I think that Horace is just trying to be funny about whatever the current meme is.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

You’re being short-sighted–and once again ignoring that Brown’s victory was in a deep blue state, a huge accomplishment for anyone in the GOP. Nobody gave a damn how Brown would vote on minor issues in the future–as he has done since. The big issue at the time was our inability to filibuster. Brown returned that power and gave us all we needed to hold the line at that point in time. It was a major victory for the Tea Party and the GOP. Nor could anyone reasonably argue that another Brown victory would be infinitely preferable to a Warren victory in November.

And while we’re at it: take a look at Reagan’s Asst. Secretary of State Elliot Abrams’ comment on Newt’s recent claim he helped Reagan win the Cold War. He cites Newt’s House speech in which Gingrich haughtily excoriates Reagan:

Measured against the scale and momentum of the Soviet empire’s challenge, the Reagan administration has failed, is failing, and without a dramatic change in strategy will continue to fail. . . .[because of] his administration’s weak policies, which are inadequate…

Is this braggart and liar–somebody who recently claimed he helped win the Cold War when he was a newly elected Congressman castigating Reagan’s policies–the man to lead us against Obama? Gingrich has clearly got problems separating the truth from his own delusions of grandeur–not unlike Obama himself. Do we need another narcissist running for the Presidency?

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM

disingenuous

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I have liked Rubio’s eloquent responses to Obama and Dem excesses. But I remember that he favored the DREAM act until conservative pressure got to him, and he came out against Arizona’s SB1070 until conservative pressure got to him. I’m not sure where Rubio really is on this.

Shay on January 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM

disingenuous

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM

??? how?

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Slightly O/T:

Well, well, well . . .

Apparently, Romney’s top advisors made hundreds of thousands if not millions lobbying for Freddie & Fannie.

KickandSwimMom on January 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM

KickandSwimMom on January 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Well, Well, Well indeed. This should be a game changer. I read some of the comments, LOL Most all in panic mode:)
Good find. Hmmmm

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

??? how?

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You do know what you say.

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Good find. Hmmmm

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Do you think Mitt made them give their money back? lol

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM

This would look better.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Thanks Cindy. That is very impressive. I wasn’t politically active during those years so this is informative for me and gives a good perspective. Nice link:-)

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM

While he has often voted with his party’s majority, he voted in favor of the Democratic financial reform bill and against the 2012 budget passed by House Republicans. He also declined to join his colleagues in seeking to eliminate federal financing for Planned Parenthood. In addition, he voted against a contentious bill that would reshape Medicare. He was one of four in his party to vote against it, reflecting the cautious line he walks as a Republican in a Democratic state.

In November 2011, The New York Times reported that Senator Brown’s re-election bid had gained the support of major Wall Street firms. Mr. Brown, who harnessed populist Tea Party anger to win Senator Kennedy’s seat, has taken more money from the financial industry than almost any other senator: all told, more than $1 million during the last two years, according to data from the Center for Responsive Politics.

As far as Newt Gingrich goes, you can tell who a man is by his enemies. Nancy Pelosi hates him, that’s good enough for me.

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Did it ever occur to you that as one of Reagan’s Lieutenants, that Newt’s demand for more stringent policies made the President’s plans for palatable?

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Thanks, but I can’t take credit. Someone posted it and then AP put it in the headlines after a story about Newt not being a good Reagan supporter.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Yes. I’ve stated the same thing on HotAir at least 5 times in the past several weeks, but people just want to ignore it. Romney is about Romney. Period.

KickandSwimMom on January 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I’m not ignoring it, as you can tell:-) I so appreciate your info and links. This is what we need in order to make an informed decision instead of these constant personal hateful comments. They provide no useful info nor any reasoning.

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Gingrich wasn’t viewed as a serious threat to the nominating process. Now that he’s making a serious challenge for the nomination, they are scrambling to take him out. I think he’s got better than good odds at getting the nomination. If the establishment republicans were smart, they would open up communications with his campaign, and come to some kind of truce….one or the other Romney or Gingrich, they both could take on Obama in November.

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

What a brilliant communicator and leader of the new Republicans.
I’ve proudly sent Marco quite a few donations.

I know exactly where Rubio stands.
Senator Marco Rubio stands with America, at least until his own Latino constiuency’s needs surface which will trump what’s good for the country.

Oh, and he’ll fold on something important that McConnell needs for some reaching across the aisle.

He’s already failed a couple of big votes that Conservatives were praying for. I remember calling his office telling them I was disappointed.

So, he’ll waffle when we need him. Nothing new.

Typicalwhitewoman on January 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I have zero confidence in the Republican party. They are beyond stupid. If Newt wins Florida I expect them to take out Newt and themselves in the process.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM

OneFreeMan on January 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I can understand how you feel. Some of the posters here are newbies that have an agenda as you have probably figured out by now.

Not voting or voting for the current occupant is Un-American in my opinion. Every eligible Voter should vote in the Primary of their State & the General Election. Period.

Reading and making note of the haters that comment is the best way to plow thru. You’ll see the ones that make sense and voice your opinion with them.

Have fun!!

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 4:33 PM

jimver on January 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I missed it, LOL However, that in and of itself doesn’t prove anything other than just that. In making a judgement, one must take a look at the motive. Also, was the result of doing that a gain for that person? Like endorsements? Favors? We’ll see what else comes out.

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM

That’s why I wanted Governor Perry to sweat it out, and play the odds. The chances of the Gingrich campaign imploding are real. If he wounds Romney, that leaves Paul and Santorum…That’s not what I call an appealing alternative.

It’s times like these, I really miss Hunter S Thompson. We are deep into Fear & Loathing on the campaign trail.

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Let me repeat what I just wrote in the Newt calls Mitt lacking humanity thread:
GAWD. MAKE. IT. STOP. NOW!
Bobby Jindal, pick UP the bleepin’ red phone…NOW!
*bangs head on desk*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I know. Remember the Palin vs Perry posters? Most are gone now.
They were here for a purpose. Same thing now, many newbies are here for a purpose and they too will be leaving. I try not to reply to them and just reply to intelligent people like yourself:-)
And others of course, LOL

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM

We have really drawn a horrible hand this time around. I swear the best thing that could happen for us is the horrible rumor of $5 a gallon gas this summer. I like New’s tenacity but I expect him to self destruct constantly.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Brown’s win in Massachusetts Senate big — for Romney

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Well, we’ve always known money buys most everything but Love. That’s how Romney works, behind the scenes. Too bad we don’t have a Press anymore.

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I think in the end that MA’s Tea Party will help Sen. Brown’s reelection campaign but they will do it quietly and they will make him sweat it out.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM

And it shouldn’t be this way. Why when there is a weak incumbent, didn’t the first string run? I think it’s because they know what a scorched earth campaign Obama’s going to run, and they would be labeled a racist at every turn.

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I know that’s right. We should have a wake for the 4th estate. I don’t know the exact date it died, but I sure do mourn it’s passing.

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I wonder if any Conservatives were helped?

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM

It makes me feel bad for the supporters of Gov. Romney. Wait and see what Obama is going to do to that very very decent nice man. Newt is a piker by comparison. They are going to be stunned.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Sure, Gov. Romney and his PAC covered all the Republican bases.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Looks like Gingrich doesn’t want to force Rubio into choosing sides.

He’s not pro-choice. That’s a good thing, right?

Capitalist Hog on January 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Senator Rubio just handed Newt his green card walking papers.

Capitalist Hog on January 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Thanks for that link. I had heard that slur was made, but hadn’t seen it. I wonder if Romney ever apologized for his staffers comments. Or Rubio….

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Again, here’s all we need to prove Newt’s a first class phoney. On Monday he claimed that he “helped” Reagan win the Cold War. Reagan’s own Asst. Secy of State called his claim preposterous. Gingrich was a newly-minted Congressman at the time who opposed Reagan’s policies, claiming to know better than his own president. Abrams even quotes one of Newt’s attacks back then on Reagan:

Typical Gingrich blowhard egotism. He’d be a disaster as our nominee. Not only would he lose, he’d bring our House and Senate chances down with him.

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

The first person to choose Rubio,and he accepts, as VP wins.

volsense on January 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

This is too funny for the next Scazzafava slam

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM

volsense on January 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM

That won’t happen until the nomination is set but in my opinion it will make Sen. Rubio a loser. I will be in a minority with that thinking.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Or there is this

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Do you think Mitt made them give their money back? lol

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I doubt that:-) I’m still trying to find out if he reprimanded his staffers for insulting Palin:

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I didn’t know this about Brown either. I’m learning a lot today, LOL

Yes, you can tell who a man is by his enemies. I said as much before. Great minds, etc:-)

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

That’s fine. However, you did your part by posting it:-) We can’t be everywhere, LOL

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM

LOL

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 7:34 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Sure, Gov. Romney and his PAC covered all the Republican bases.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I wonder who set these PACS up. No accountability or limits keeps others from getting their messages out.

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

You may want to read this that Cindy posted upthread:

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM

This is too funny for the next Scazzafava slam

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM

You, Dr. Evil & SinkandSwimMom are on a roll!! I’ve been trying to get off this thread, LOL

Romney endorsed a Liberal Democrat? Wow, that should give Newt at least 10 points:-)

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Since we’ve had so many great links on this thread, here is another one. The Tea Party Express hosted Herman Cain for his response to the SOTU:

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Newt erred, but all is forgiven.

However, if he comes out for banning golf carts he’ll lose Florida.

profitsbeard on January 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Yeah sure you’re right Scott Brown’s a great politician voting for Obama’s agenda most the time, and not a RINO/…

Dr Evil on January 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

You misstate what I said. I didn’t argue Brown was not a moderate. I said his victory was a huge win for the GOP because he gave us back the power to filibuster. He comes from a deep blue state–so he’s in survival mode right now. Sensible conservatives can appreciate this.

And if you can tell a man by his enemies, then maybe you can explain why Andrea Mitchell and Donna Brazille are saying nice things about Newt, Mitchell calling his debate performance “very presidential.” And why is Obama already running ads against Romney and not Newt?

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM

bluefox on January 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM

And you might want to read this devastating rebuttal by Reagan’s Assistant Secretary of State about Newt’s actual opposition to the Reagan agenda in the Cold War. Far from helping Reagan win the Cold War–as he claimed on Monday–Abrams cites him as one of the leading adversaries in the House. Read it here:

As Abrams said, “At the height of the bitter struggle with the Democratic leadership Gingrich chose to attack Reagan.”

Newt’s supporters can try to ignore the evidence. But it only makes them look foolish when they do.

writeblock on January 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM

A few Facts about Mitt Romney – After going to both Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School simultaneously, he passed the Michigan bar, but never worked as an attorney. As a venture-capitalist, Romney’s first major business deal involved investing in a start-up office supply company with one store in Massachusetts …that sold office supplies. That company, called Staples, now has over 2,000 stores and employs over 90,000 people. Romney or his company Bain Capital (using what became known as the “Bain Way”) would go on to perform the same kinds of business miracles again and again, with companies like Domino’s, Sealy, Brookstone, Weather Channel, Burger King, Warner Music Group, Dollarama, Home Depot Supply, and many others…Got your calculators handy? Let’s recap. Volunteer campaign worker for his dad’s gubernatorial campaign – 1 year. Unpaid intern in Governor’s office – 8 years. Mormon missionary in Paris – 2 years. Unpaid bishop and stake president for his church – 10 years. No salary as president of the Olympics – 3 years. No salary as MA governor – 4 years. That’s a grand total of 28 years of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church. Why? Because that’s the kind of man Mitt Romney is.

Swerve22 on January 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM

and especially reminding voters which of the two men took Rubio’s side earliest in the Senate race [Romney]

Some of you here don’t want to admit it, but Romney has been VERY good for conservatives and the Republican party over the past several years. Rubio is one of many he did this for.

scotash on January 26, 2012 at 4:13 AM

All the Spanish speakers in FL should be aware that Newt Gingrich called Spanish a ghetto language. This is important information for them to consider before making a decision.

Here is Newt Gingrich calling Spanish a “language of the ghetto.”

Do they want to vote for a corrupt man like Newt Gingrich who calls Spanish a ghetto language? Is this any kind of way for a presidential candidate to talk?

Newt Gingrich is a disgrace. No wonder his support is fading fast.

bluegill on January 26, 2012 at 7:23 AM