Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on January 25, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama isn’t happy that he’s perceived as cold and aloof, and he knows exactly who’s at fault for that perception.  No, it’s not himself, silly.  Obama blames a group that has obviously disliked him from the start … the media:

“You know, the truth is, actually, when it comes to Congress, the issue is not personal relationships. My suspicion is that this whole critique has to do with the fact that I don’t go to a lot of Washington parties.

“And as a consequence, the Washington press corps maybe just doesn’t feel like I’m in the mix enough with them, and they figure, well, if I’m not spending time with them, I must be cold and aloof.”

Andrew Malcolm notes that Obama claims not to do the “social scene” because he and his wife are busy with their daughters, and thinks Obama has a point.  He seemed awfully busy last week, for instance:

On Thursday, for example, Obama began the day with office work, then flew two hours south for a 13-minute speech at Disney World. Then he flew two hours back north to New York City for speeches at four Manhattan political fundraisers, including a show at the Apollo and a party at Spike Lee’s place.

After another hour flight on Air Force One and 10 minutes in a Marine helicopter, the president returned to the White House shortly before 1 a.m. Friday.

And Andrew also notes all the ways in which the media causes the appearance of being cold and aloof:

A major challenge in Obama’s billion-dollar bid for a renewed lease on the White House and four more years to drive his progressive spending agenda is his image as an aloof Harvard elitist out of touch with ordinary citizens, much like 18th century French royalty.

One who golfs during wartime, stages frequent lavish celeb parties while citizens suffer high unemployment and foreclosure rates and vacations luxuriously on distant islands at the drop of a 747-boarding ramp. During last month’s holidays, Obama’s White House got by with only 37 Christmas trees.

With one highly-publicized exception last summer, Obama’s golfing partners and basketball buddies are almost always close friends or staff, an opportunity other chief executives have used for outreach bonding and socializing to ease everyday political cooperation and deals.

It took Obama 18 months, for instance, to invite the Senate opposition leader for an Oval Office coffee, a simple social gesture that most presidents accomplish their first week in office. Intentionally or not, even one of Obama’s favorite public postures (see White House photo above) gives off a sense of aloofness or arrogance. Watch for this gaze also as he reads the teleprompter Tuesday evening.

You know the pose:

Yeah, it’s that doggone media that makes Obama appear cold and aloof …

Comments

As long as he has himself, Scooter will never be alone.

kingsjester on January 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Mr thin skin upset that the media doesn’t have is back?

Puhleeeze

Man up dude

cmsinaz on January 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I thought Obama was too busy playing the toy drones Iranians sent him.

Sir Napsalot on January 25, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Blamer in chief

cmsinaz on January 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Pull up your big boy panties barack.

DuctTapeMyBrain on January 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Oh boo friggin’ hoo, for poor Barry.
Television made Barack Obama. The guy is all form and no substance.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I blame the LSM… it is their fault…

Khun Joe on January 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM

“And as a consequence, the Washington press corps…”

Did he pronounce it corpse?

Trafalgar on January 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM

He’s right, for once. Barky doesn’t have to go anywhere. He throws the most obscenely lavish parties in America, right there in the White House ~ on our money.

TheClearRiver on January 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM

The man has never learned nor is he interested in practicing something we could all admire… leadership.

Never his fault. Mr. Perfection. We are all too dumb to recognize it.

VietVet_Dave on January 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM

O sez the media don’t like him.

Would hate to see how they’d be if they were fawning all over him. Or something.

TimBuk3 on January 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM

perceived as cold and aloof

Most full-blown narcissist usually are.

Flora Duh on January 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I’m waiting for that day when the chin goes high enough that he falls over backwards. You know it’s coming.

katy the mean old lady on January 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I’m disappointed… I thought his warmed over SOTU would be today’s entry. I could have given that speech in 9th grade.

ktrich on January 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Just another community organizer that looks down on the serfs.

AH_C on January 25, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Teh Won has the Mussolini pose down pat. It makes my skin crawl when he does that.

ConservativeMom on January 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM

” I love the smell of my own B.O… Mmmmmmmm…. B.O”

Key West Reader on January 25, 2012 at 8:29 AM

katy the mean old lady on January 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

That is the position where he can best flare his nostrils to their full extent. In some cultures, big nostrils must be considered a sign of masculinity and virility. Unfortunately for barack, in America it just makes him look like a useless poser.

DuctTapeMyBrain on January 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

“You know, the truth is, actually, when it comes to Congress, the issue is not personal relationships. My suspicion is that this whole critique has to do with the fact that I don’t go to a lot of Washington parties”.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

timberline on January 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

My suspicion is that this whole critique HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA from this press?

….has to do with the fact that I don’t go to a lot of Washington parties.

BEcause he’s always on VACAY with Michelle or Reggie Love in tow.

PappyD61 on January 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM

You missed the best part of that 37 tree story-

Michelle Obama essentially said they did it all for us:

“I know for some of you, this holiday season will be tough,” she told some visitors. “But hopefully, it’s times like this that make you know that you live in a grateful nation, and that we are just so inspired by your sacrifice. And hopefully, this is a memory that will stay with you every holiday season.”

In other words we little people should be living vicariously through our royal betters. When we can’t afford a tree or presents, we always have our memories of the Obamas and their 37 trees to make us happy.

In other words, I’m just saying that Obamateurisms sometimes come from an angry black racist female he prefers to be called your highness and not necessarily her jug-eared spouse.

Happy Nomad on January 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM

katy the mean old lady on January 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Not necessarily. Those big old ears provide an awful lot of counterbalance.

Happy Nomad on January 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM

critique from the press?

Does he mean from the press like this guy that bowed to him, and practically gave him a goodnight kiss?

PappyD61 on January 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Obama opining to himself: I was wrong once. One time I said I was wrong but after review I discovered I was wrong when I said I was wrong.

timberline on January 25, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I blame myself for his perceived coldness and aloofness because I’ve been proclaiming it for the last three years in the comment section of every yahoo news article about him.

Sorry B.O. We cool?

St Gaudens on January 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I wonder if he is watching Morning Joe, because they are slobbering all over him. Including special guests Donny Deutsch and Little Dickie Durbin.

Naturally Curly on January 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Would you please just hop on your woman’s bike and ride into the sunset…

hillsoftx on January 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Michelle Obama essentially said they did it all for us:

Happy Nomad on January 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Very Peron-esque. Why am I not surprised?

Just Sayin on January 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM

“You know, this whole process would be a lot easier if I was just installed as your King….”

search4truth on January 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

JugEars thinks the media does not like his?
They have let him get away with everything!
They are in the tank so much for him, the only thing the MSM has not done is has sex with him…and I’m at the point right now that I think they do more…than ‘orally’ support him!

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM

ktrich on January 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Same here. We already know that the NiC (Narcissist in Chief) believes nobody loves him the way he loves himself…

ProfShadow on January 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Okay, because of your comments I have an image of Chris Matthews dry humping Obama’s leg. Thank you so very much for that!

Happy Nomad on January 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

He’s complaining about the lack of love from the media, imagine how he would react if he knew how the people actually felt about him.

D-fusit on January 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Once again, Ø’s envy got the best of him and it has made him soft and pliable, like smoking cessation gum. Remember when George W. Bush was out partying with friends from “both sides of the aisle” even during the darkest days of the Iraq expedition? Remember how appreciative the media was of Dubya’s efforts to keep another attack from happening after 9-11? Remember when the media refused to publish any deeply negative story about the Bush family or publish any critical Photoshopped image of the President because it would be overtly hateful and rabidly partisan?
Don’t any of you remember the mild criticism Bush got because of the number of parties he attended, since the media was so concerned about his health and energy, even though the Washington, D.C party circuit helped him make lifelong media friends and get mostly even-handed treatment in the media?
Yeah, me neither.

ExpressoBold on January 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM

That photo says it all. All he needs is a crown.

scalleywag on January 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Happy Nomad on January 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I think it’s the other way around! You know how Chrissy always has that ‘numb’ leg!

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM

The cheese stands alone
The cheese stands alone
Hi ho the derry-o
The cheese stands alone.

onlineanalyst on January 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

As a joke, I used that same exact photo of “zer0 Mussolini” as my avatar on a conservative comment board once. It wasn’t long before I was asked (politely) to change it.

Gack!

zer0 is a pathetic and needy individual with a colossal ego. He truly needs to see a shrink.

MisterElephant on January 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I marveled at how this country elected someone as weird and dishonest as Nixon. Multiply that guy by 1000 and here we are.

Most of Obama’s material would be brilliant deadpan humor, this latest especially. Like Nixon, though, he has not the slightest sense of humor. I just hope we get out of this nightmare, and in the future can enjoy a comedic biopic featuring just the exact quotes.

Sowell Disciple on January 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

The media is who got this incompetent (or is it malevolent) person elected and they are doing their best to get him reelected. If he really throws them under the bus, there ain’t no one left except Soros.

Christian Conservative on January 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

“And as a consequence, the Washington press corps…”

Did he pronounce it corpse?

Trafalgar on January 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Yes, but he thinks it’s spelled “core.”

winoceros on January 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Careful! Barry is a legend in his own mind!

GarandFan on January 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

TheClearRiver on January 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM

EXACTLY what I thought when I read his statement about not going to Washington parties. Why bother when you can bring the party to yourself?

katablog.com on January 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Obama…what? It’s not my fault!! Slobber more my media…

tinkerthinker on January 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Don’t get your panties in a wad, Zero.

Kissmygrits on January 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM

The media has been swatted on the nose with the paper. They’ll try even harder now to do a better job for their master.

multiuseless on January 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I don’t go to a lot of Washington parties

WTH? He’s thrown more parties than anyone in Washington, probably, in the last three years.

GWB on January 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I have never understood why the Obama campaign thought “the pose” was good optics. That pose reminds me of a camel just before it spits at you. It just reeks of arrogance.

RickCaird on January 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Barack and Michelle sure are “busy with their daughters” a lot.

Is this like the lines, “spending time with the family dog, BO” and “busy in the garden” and “busy working”?

Where’s the Mother-in-law, by the way, what happened to her being live-in “necessary to maintain continuity with the children”? I liked that line.

Lourdes on January 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Christian Conservative on January 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Well, no, there’s still Warren Buffett, GE and Comcast, not to mention Hollywood billionaires.

Lourdes on January 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM

There is nothing — nothing — the press can or cannot write or broadcast about Barack Obama that will ever substantiate their fantasies about him. We have a bad man in the Presidency at this time and there is nothing that can be made up or made down to change that about him. He’s no good, he’s badly intended as to our nation, he’s misguided, not respectable, isn’t a good person, you name it, if it’s to be condemned, it’s him. The media can just knock themselves out trying to remake the failure called Barack Obama into someone the American people (and history) will respect because we (nor it) will.

Lourdes on January 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM

What always strikes me about that pose, he’s not even looking down his nose. His gaze is turned completely inward.

de rigueur on January 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Lourdes on January 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

She’s still there. She’s the one who always took care of the kids.

(You don’t think Michelle would waste her important time doing that, do you?)

Alana on January 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Our li’l wussy-in-chief:

WAAAAAAAAAAH – why won’t you love me?????

Tim_CA on January 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

How many times do you need to be told – let him eat his DANG WAFFLE!

CorporatePiggy on January 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Cold – check
Aloof – check

belief that you are not Cold & Aloof = Out of Touch – ding,ding,ding!! Extra points!!

askwhatif on January 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The Cry Baby In Chief wouldn’t last 1 day as a Republican president. Every day, above the fold: “Solyndra…..”: “Fast and Furious….”: “Another party at the White House….”: “Obama shuts down number one tourism destination to tout tourism…”, etc. His approval ratings would be in the teens, flirting with those of our Congress Critters.

I guarantee you he wouldn’t be able to take it. There’s only so much a narcissistic, community organizing, thumb sucking, affirmative action baby can take.

*spit*

Spark Chaser on January 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM

DuctTapeMyBrain on January 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hmm, Kenya perhaps?

askwhatif on January 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM

“Jeesh, guys, can’t I just eat my cold waffles with shrimp ice cream? A-loof my stash at the crib!”

askwhatif on January 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM

The man-child makes me sick to my stomach.

Can’t say more than that, or I’ll get banned.

GrannyDee on January 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

You know the pose:

Perfect Mussolini or Lenin, or both.

Schadenfreude on January 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

When Obama was in image-making mode the word was he was “unflappable”, “cool” and “urbane”. What we have learned is that he is in fact highly flappable and very thin-skinned. He does not abide criticism and does not tolerate opposing views even within his staff. He has not even managed to build good relationships within his own party in Congress. You don’t hear about his college buddies, teaching colleagues or even people he worked with while practicing law. He is cold and aloof and always has been; this is not mere perception, it is a life-long reality.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on January 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

That Ahole has an excuse for everything. Such a pathetic arrogant little narcissist.

jqc1970 on January 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Cold, aloof, and supremely arrogant, in my opinion.

RebeccaH on January 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

“I don’t go to a lot of Washington parties.”

No, you don’t GO to a lot of them. You’re too busy throwing them! How can he even say these things with a straight face?!

Xyz22 on January 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I think he uses that pose with his head so as to try to downsize those ears by playing with the angle of optics. Ain’t working.

chickasaw42 on January 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM

ConservativeMom on January 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM

But…………..Mussolini left us hanging……….

crankybutt on January 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM