Video: 1,000 days without a budget Update: More Day 1,000 fun!

posted at 1:55 pm on January 24, 2012 by Tina Korbe

No matter what measure you use, government spending has increased since 1965. Total government spending has more than doubled. Federal spending per household has increased from $11,431 in 1965 to $29,401 in 2010, for an increase of nearly 162 percent. That would all be fine if revenues had kept pace — if, in the same time period, the United States hadn’t also acquired more than $15 trillion in debt.

Under the Obama administration, the deficit and debt has only increased — and, to make matters worse, for all three years of Barack Obama’s presidency, the federal government has indulged in high levels of spending without an official budget. What could possibly be the result of such directionless spending other than unprecedented deficits and increased debt?

The Democrat-controlled Senate is directly to blame for the lack of a budget. Even when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House, the Congress didn’t bother to pass a plan. Now that Republicans control the House, the House has passed a comprehensive budget plan — but the Senate has still done nothing. The Senate is the true do-nothing chamber, but the president will almost assuredly blame the House as the inactive chamber.

At that point in the president’s speech, tweet this video:

Just for fun, what have y’all accomplished in the past 1,000 days that puts the Senate to shame?

Update: This post originally made it sound like Democrats controlled all three branches of government early in Obama’s administration. As the judicial branch can’t technically be controlled by a party, that was misleading. The post has been corrected above to reflect that Democrats controlled the House, Senate and White House in the first two years of Obama’s presidency.

Update II: Misfit Politics’ inimitable music group, “Just as Good as Ezra,” has recorded an instant classic song “1,000 Days (Without a Budget).” Enjoy!

Misfit Politics- 1000 Days (Without Passing a Budget) by Just as Good as Ezra

Update III: Congressional Republicans will also mark this day when they attend the State of the Union address tonight. They plan to wear red “1,000 Days” buttons to the speech.

Will any of this prompt the Senate to actually pass a budget? It’s doubtful. If I had to place a bet, I’d bet against the Senate putting forward a plan between now and November. But we have to at least try — and I’ll be thrilled if Harry Reid proves me wrong!

Comments

In the last 1,000 days, I’ve written two teen heart throb biographies, started and graduated from Hopkins with a Masters, started a double masters degree at two other programs, lived in three cities, been laid off twice, started a dream job, and launched a political satire site.

Harry Reid is an ass hat.

Washington Fancy on January 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

No more sarcastic political advertisements, please. John McCain had those and they were bad then and they’re bad now :/

The Nerve on January 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Federal spending per household has increased from $11,431 in 1965 to $29,401 in 2010, for an increase of nearly 162 percent. That would all be fine if revenues had kept pace

Gotta dissent on that. I don’t want government to be that big even if it’s not running massive deficits.

forest on January 24, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I have started reading a lot , specially good blogs which are informative, joined one too, and now I can say that I am a much better informed citizen. For almost 3 yrs now, I have not watched MSM for more than 20 min a day.
As a result of that, now I am really really scared for my country .
Not funny huh ??

burrata on January 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM

KING BARRY:
A budget! a budget! my republic for a budget!

HOUSE TEA PARTIERS:
Withdraw, my lord; We’ll help you find a budget.

CyberCipher on January 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Lets see…

Bought my own place.
Got married.
Had a minor operation.
Adjusted my personal budget several times over.

Wow, just realized I am WAY to productive for Government. Back to the salt mine for me!!

Gatsu on January 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Looking forward to videos for F&F, Solyndra and Light Squared.

Norky on January 24, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Past thousand days?…less than nothing. Got the Senate beat by a country mile, y’all.

*crowns self*

Christien on January 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM

The Nerve on January 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I, however, think our spineless leader in the Senate needs more than just an advertisement. He needs to be continuously reminded of how much responsibility the Democrat-controlled Congress has shirked in the name of political expediency. May he rot in Hell.

Turtle317 on January 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM

We don need no steenkin budget……

dentarthurdent on January 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM

What have you done in the last 1,000 days?

Our youngest kid who is now walking and talking wasn’t even conceived 1000 days ago.

forest on January 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Washington Fancy on January 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

And you were First! on this thread.

Bmore on January 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM

You guys need to lay off that whole budget thing. Mandatory budgets are racist because they infer a certain amount of responsibility.

/Soetoro

antipc on January 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Sickening is too weak a word. These rats in the Senate need to be held accountable, lay it at Bammy’s feet it is his party!

D-fusit on January 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Deadbeats.

Your Mamma loves me on January 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM

NEVER ONCE WAS THAT A QUESTION AT ANY DEBATE!
The Senate for 6 years has been under Reids thumb…and the media wants to ask candidates: (after 1 year of change in the House)…”When will the two sides start working together?”
Wait till JugEars talks tonight! More of the same BS. If you do watch that clown tonight…do so with a shovel!

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Frankly, if Zero goes after “the Republican House” tonight, I hope they boo him raucously and start chanting “Pass a budget! Pass a budget!” Decorum, be damned. It isn’t decorous to stand before the American people and lie. When did we decide that decorum dictates that our elected representatives sit there and take it. BOO HIM!!!!!

Rational Thought on January 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Filed 3 tax returns (probably about 2 more than your average congress critter or 0bama czar)

Took 3 vacations (probably about 1/5 as many as your average congress critter and 1/10 as many as the SCOAMF)

Contributed about $9 million in sales to my company’s top line (probably about as much as a lot of these fools make in a year)

UltimateBob on January 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Kent Conrad, Chair of the Budget committee is insisting that the Budget Control Act of 2011, AKA the debt ceiling deal, qualifies as a budget.

No seriously….

AndrewsDad on January 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Rational Thought on January 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It is sad that we will never see it though, I would applaud sitting in my living room as the wife called for the men in white coats to come and take me away, cue Dr. Demento.

D-fusit on January 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM

What have you done in the last 1,000 days?

I’ve lived a leisurely life for the most part. Our son on the other hand, served his second tour in Iraq, left the military, met a girl and married her, moved to Ypsilanti (horrid place) and is working on a degree in law enforcement. Wow, time flies.

Norky on January 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM

*crowns self*

Christien on January 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Crap! You got me beat. I was hoping that, because I didn’t do anything in that period, maybe I could get elected to the senate.

Job security, good bennies and perks (including free feel-ups from immense, trapezoidal TSA wimmin), and all that.

The War Planner on January 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM

When the dems last passed a budget:
Palin was still gov of Alaska
Jon Corzine was still gov of NJ
Pete Rouse and Bill Daley were not WH chiefs of staff
and Brett Favre had was still a NY Jet

ConservativePartyNow on January 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Where are the Democratic trolls? One Thousand Days!
Oh! No calendar’s on tents, in the OWS camps.

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2012 at 2:18 PM

That’s because the Democrats are too cowardly to lay out what they would really like to spend or what they are spending. I would like to see a “budget” for each of the past three years that shows actual spending — to show what the budget would have looked like if there had been one and it had been followed. Is there such a thing out there?

toby11 on January 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM

“Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow Americans, the SOTU is great”.

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Well, it’s something, I guess:
Congressional Republicans to Wear Red “1,000 Days” Buttons at SOTU Address Tonight

Rational Thought on January 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

When the dems last passed a budget:
Palin was still gov of Alaska
Jon Corzine was still gov of NJ
Pete Rouse and Bill Daley were not WH chiefs of staff
and Brett Favre had was still a NY Jet

ConservativePartyNow on January 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM

…and back then… some Republicans had some testosterone, and a couple of Tootsie Pops hanging, where they should have been hanging!

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM

“Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow Americans, the SOTU is great”.

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM

You betcha. And the Senate hasn’t passed a deficit budget in almost 3 years. These guys are awesome.

forest on January 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The media is standing by in pre-orgasm mode.

darwin on January 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Time for Harry Reid to be stripped of his so-called duties over the lawless Senate he is in charge of. Problem is there is no enforcement procedure in place. How convenient. This will change.

Amazingoly on January 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

No matter what measure you use, government spending has increased since 1965.

And the last Fiscal Year in which the national debt actually decreased was 1957.

Source: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt.htm

ITguy on January 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Is this true?..I heard that the SOTU is going to be another “Date Night”?
Tell me its a joke.
Please.

Mimzey on January 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM

What have you done in the last 1,000 days?

Let’s see….

Partied, golfed, watched ESPN, vacationed, campaigned, destroyed the American economy and jobs, golfed some more, more vacations, lots more parties…

- Emperor Obama

The Rogue Tomato on January 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Excellent video. Well done, Heritage Foundation!

ITguy on January 24, 2012 at 2:32 PM

We need to audit the last 1,000 days spending.

DanMan on January 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM

In the last 1,000 days I have watched a substantial segment of the American population, lead by the President, slowly, but surely become totally divorced from reality. They point fingers in every direction, but refuse to look in a mirror.
That they TOTALLY ignore a budget can only be by design. They would be whining if they wanted one.
Isn’t a budget one of the jobs the Constitution specifically requires of them ?

Jabberwock on January 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Rational Thought on January 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

BOO-ing is conservative code for raaaaaaaaacism!

NapaConservative on January 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM

See, here’s the thing. I’m reading that Congressional Republicans were planning to sport “1000 Days” red pins at the SOTU tonight, but now Glenn Reynolds is reporting that they’ve been told that is “against the rules.”

Excuse me? As one of Reynolds e-mailers says, “isn’t it “against the rules” to not pass a freaking budget for 1000 days???”

So here we are with more “rules” and “decorum” — all of it carefully designed to protect the incumbent.

Rules be damned! Wear the damn buttons!

Rational Thought on January 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM

isn’t it “against the rules” to not pass a freaking budget for 1000 days???

Damn straight. But it appears that we no longer have a Constitutional Republic.

ITguy on January 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

In just the last 300 days, I’ve taken over the jobs of my 3 coworkers who were laid off. Now I get paid the same for 4 times the amount of work…but who’s complaining?

And oh, I’ve thrown about 25 requests from the Republican Party to donate into the trash. I’ve donated directly to true conservatives…hmm, not one dime to any of the candidates still left…

kirkill on January 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM

In the last 1000 days, I have played a total of ZERO rounds of golf

ConservativePartyNow on January 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

In 1000 days, the Greeks conquered the known world.
In 1000 days, the Romans conquered the known world.
In 1000 days, Barak Obamba lost the known world.

rjulio on January 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Has the President ever been asked about this lack of a budget ? Harry Reid ? Why not ?
More importantly, why hasn’t it asked a second time ?
We’ve dissected Newt’s divorces repeatedly.
What gives ?

Jabberwock on January 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM

“Even when Democrats controlled all three branches of government, the Congress didn’t bother to pass a plan.”

Ummm….What does the Supreme Court have to do with this?

Cut it out (insert Dave Coulier finger gestures here) Korbe!!!

oconp88 on January 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM

and somehow Obama will label the Republicans as do-nothing and people will believe it despite 30 job creating bills…

Wagthatdog on January 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM

oconp88,
Good catch.

Tina should update it to read:

Even when Democrats controlled all three branches budget-passing pieces of government, the Congress didn’t bother to pass a plan

Both houses of the Legislative branch plus the Executive branch.

The Judicial branch has nothing to do with passing budgets.

We know what Tina meant, but an update is appropriate.

ITguy on January 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

For the last thousand days I have said a prayer every day that we can get rid of Obama after his first term and that we get control of the Senate back to send Dingy Harry on down the road…….

dddave on January 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Why pass one now, let’s go for a clean sweep.

GeorgieGirl9 on January 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Fox and Friends producer did another video along these lines.

What is the common thread to these videos, hum…..

D-fusit on January 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

PROBLEM: 1,000 days without a budget
SOLUTION: DOCK EACH SENATOR 1000 DAYS PAY.

TeaPartyNation on January 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM

It’s all ok! Joe Biden gave $369.00 to charity!

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I’ve eaten 5,000 BBQ ribs, rode 25,000 miles on my bikes, ogled countless hot women, and eaten 5,000 BBQ ribs.

Bishop on January 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Bought a house, designed, built and launched a new web site, reported on a hurricane and a tornado, renovated my house, won at poker, lost at poker, watched several superhero movies, become a Glenn Beck fan, forgotten about Glenn Beck, launched a blog, updated a blog religiously, let my blog go dark.

Built a Myspace page, deleted a myspace page.

hawksruleva on January 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM

In the past 1000 days, I became a community organizer. However, I don’t think it was quite the community organizing Team Obama was hoping for.

Mutnodjmet on January 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM

For those that do not know (the 99%, for example) that the democrats and harry reid control the senate, this looks like validation of Obama’s remarks about a do-nothing congress.

For that reason, this is an AWFUL ad.

Carnac on January 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Harry Reid is an ass hat.

Well…clearly you are an overachiever. :)

Bob's Kid on January 24, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Bishop on January 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Packing bag, be there later this week, BFF.

So, its a total of 10k ribs?

BobMbx on January 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Does anybody know how many rounds of golf Obama is up to since his last budget failed the senate 97-0?

brut4ce on January 24, 2012 at 3:46 PM

BobMbx on January 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Approximately. I don’t really pay all that close attention when the weekly livestock truck backs up to my corral, we just round them up and start butchering.

Bishop on January 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Just for reference, it took 410 days to build the Empire State Building. During a recession too.

DanMan on January 24, 2012 at 4:38 PM

They plan to wear red “1,000 Days” buttons to the speech.

Finally, the GOP is thinking! I’ll watch now.

So, the House originates a budget and the Senate passes it; is that correct? Am I the only person who doesn’t know this?

BTW some of these ads are great. Where are they paying, battleground states? We sure don’t see them in CA.

PattyJ on January 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Thanks for the correction on “the three branches” of government. I updated the post above. And here’s my answer to my own question: In just the last 250 days (about the time I’ve been with Hot Air), I’ve written 932 blog posts! If Harry Reid hired Ed and Allah as Senate staffers, they’d have the budget done in a week!

Tina Korbe on January 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

revenues increased each and every year 1965 thru 2008. The problem has never been a lac of revenues, it has always been a spending problem. No increase of revenues can cure an over spending problem.

U.S. revenues

Federal Revenues Have More Than Tripled Since 1965

Overall tax revenues have risen despite a recent decline due to the recession. Congress cut income taxes and the death tax in 2001 and capital gains taxes and dividends in 2003, yet revenues continued to surge even after the tax cuts were passed.

DSchoen on January 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I love the fact that some GOPers will be wearing red buttons marking 1000 days…

jdawg on January 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Due to the lack of awareness of many in the American public, I would recommend the video’s producers high light the “Democrat-controlled” Senate is the issue. Too many citizens may assume the Senate is Republican controlled due to the lack of media emphasis of this fact.

chickasaw42 on January 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM

1000 days…

~ Promoted twice
~ Wrote more than 40 business process outlines
~ Consulted on nearly 100 service contracts/amendments
~ Generated monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasts of revenue/cost/capital, with an average accuracy to actuals of 2.1%
~ Participated in company increasing annual profit from $45M to $535M

~ Renewed marriage vows at 25th anniversary
~ Saw children graduate from high school/college
~ Bought two cars, sold two others
~ Read the Bible through each year
~ Read Atlas Shrugged each year
~ Read more than 250 books
~ Drove more than 80k miles
~ Played one round of golf

Freelancer on January 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM