The media’s silence on the March for Life

posted at 5:25 pm on January 24, 2012 by Tina Korbe

My hopes for a Time magazine spread about the March for Life protesters are fading fast. For the fifth year in a row, The New York Times ignored the March for Life, which drew at least a hundred thousand participants in D.C. alone. NewsBusters reports:

For the fifth year in a row, there was no story in the Times print edition on the annual March for Life against abortion in Washington, D.C., which every year draws massive crowds in unpromising weather on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court’s decision legalizing abortion. …

As Times Watch reported last January, the 2011 print edition of the Times did not feature an actual news story of the thousands who marched in frigid weather, just two photos with the caption “Abortion Opponents Rally On the National Mall,” above a three-sentence description that led to a link to photographs online. That was actually a vast improvement; the Times in print absolutely ignored the March for Life in 2010, 2009, and 2008 (a 300-word story marked the 2007 March for Life on January 23 of that year).

The Times is far more eager to publicize protests in support of liberal causes, no matter how puny. When four protesters marched in support of the doomed Dream Act to grant amnesty to illegal immigrant students, the Times marked the occasion with a 780-word story.

Believe it or not, it gets worse. The NYT has a special standing feature on its blog, The Caucus, to document “Happenings in Washington” and not even that included a reference to the March. It did, however, mention that the N.H.L. Stanley Cup Champions, the Boston Bruins, would be honored by the president at the White House. Important stuff.

Meanwhile, about 50,000 people participated in the West Coast March for Life and, according to a tweet from Michelle Malkin, not even the local media turned out to cover it.

As a reminder to journalists who’ve forgotten, in general, the bigger the size and scope of the event, the more newsworthy it is. That means a protest of 100,000 is generally more newsworthy than a protest of 10.

As always, I’m less troubled by media bias than I am by the media pretense of objectivity. Even if “objectivity” refers more to “a unity of method … than aim,” as the authors of The Elements of Journalism suggest, the NYT clearly lacks it. A “unity of method” would require that reporters go about determining newsworthiness using the same standards every time. Unless one such standard at The Times is “Is this a liberal event?” then the NYT reporters clearly don’t reliably follow the same method in their selection of stories.

Then again, if NYT editors are willing to admit that the political ideology behind an event does partly determine the amount of coverage they give an event, then I’d be more willing to admit they’re objective in the sense of using a uniform method. ThinkProgress, for example, uniformly and reliably covers news of interest to a left-leaning readership — and ignores news that runs contrary to the political principles its editors espouse. That, in a way, is both more transparent and more objective than purporting to be a paper of national record that only haphazardly records events according to the whims of reporters and editors.

Comments

Note to organizers: Next year, provide free feces and urine for throwing.

BobMbx on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

How dare those EXTREMISTS protest against a women’s right to remove the products of conception from her uterus anytime she wants for any reason.
EXTREMISTS!!!! ///
*I was part of the March in 1997. The press ignored us then too*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Predictable

Deafening, even.

thirtyandseven on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Maybe if they called it the Occupy Life march…..

Chip on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

The NYT can manage to get one of their reporters embedded with a squad of Taliban in Afghanistan, but it can’t send a person down to take a few notes on a march happening in their own city.

Bishop on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Clearly, they need to be unwashed and only “mostly peaceful” in order to get attention.

Red Cloud on January 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I found out yesterday that Lubbock’s ‘Murder Inc’ murders unborn babies on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I’m going over there tomorrow to pray with others for the unborn.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Thousands of well behaved people who shower each day and clean up after themselves?

Not nearly as exciting as a few drugged out Marxist’s raping women in tents.

kirkill on January 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Didn’t the NYT cover all 200 of the OWS nut jobs when they started camping out at Zucotti? Now that’s excellence in journalism, All the news that’s fit to print.

NOMOBO on January 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

NOMOBO on January 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

My mother says that the NYT’s motto should be, ‘All the news that fits we print’.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Folks, this is why what Newt is doing by hitting the Media strikes a chord with the base and middle America. The Press is just sick, and we need to change them.

Weight of Glory on January 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

And to think, “The Protester” was Time‘s Person of the Year. Some protesters are clearly more equal than others….

RedMindBlueState on January 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

The only the “mainstream” media covers an important event like this would be if all the men dressed like ladies and the ladies slicked their hair down and wore trousers and fake mustaches. Then it would be termed a “civil rights” march or something.

cicerone on January 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I missed this.

O/T,Republican Senator Mark Kirk had a stroke!
———————————————-

Doctors say Illinois Sen Mark Kirk is making progress after surgery for swelling caused by stroke
3 hours ago from http://www.chicagotribune.com

==============================

Doctor: Kirk doing ‘better than expected’
12:57 p.m. CST, January 24, 2012
********************************
(Video)

Sen. Mark Kirk is alert, answering questions and following commands after having a stroke over the weekend, his neurosurgeon Dr. Richard Fessler said today.(More…)

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Maybe the organization should re-name itself:

“The Gay March for Life”

Axion on January 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

My hopes for a Time magazine spread about the March for Life protesters are fading fast. For the fifth year in a row, The New York Times ignored the March for Life, which drew at least a hundred thousand participants in D.C. alone.
===============================================

It doesn’t fit the Liberal template,er,agenda!!

An injustice that they won’t recongnize,or can’t in
there warped mindsets!!

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

In other words, you know what your getting with ThinkOppression.

Chip on January 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Thanks, Tina.

I appreciate your view. But who still has the Elements of Journalism?

flicker on January 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I don’t like American Idol. I have never seen an episode and don’t know any of the winners very well – beyond the very few who go on to real success. My point is, I don’t like AI so I don’t watch it or otherwise engage with it.
For people who claim to dislike the NY Times, you certainly read and pay attention to it a lot. It’s like eating food you don’t like out of spite. I don’t get it, and I don’t read the Times.

tmchugh on January 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Chip on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Occupy lib women’s wombs since they want to occupy our bank accounts?

/ (not sure if necessary, but to be on the safe side)

Atlas on January 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I call my maternal forbearer in Illinois to let her know that she’s possibly going to have TWO D senators soon.
She let out a looong sigh.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I’ll keep you guys in my Rosary prayers tomorrow. As my wife says, “Every abortionist needs a fan club.” I’ll pray that you get some saves tomorrow.

Ward Cleaver on January 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The media’s silence on the March for Life
…gee, I expected the socialist media to at least claim that all these people are “RACISTS” yelling racial slurs as they marched.

TeaPartyNation on January 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Believe it or not, it gets worse. The NYT has a special standing feature on its blog, The Caucus, to document “Happenings in Washington” and not even that included a reference to the March. It did, however, mention that the N.H.L. Stanley Cup Champions, the Boston Bruins, would be honored by the president at the White House. Important stuff.

Tina, God still hears our prayers, and that’s what matters.

Ward Cleaver on January 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

NOMOBO on January 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Isn’t it more like “All the news that fits our agenda we print”?

stukinIL4now on January 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Even the Washington Post had a short article about it on their website, albeit with their traditional thinly veiled snark. Some of the photos are pretty good though:

JeremiahJohnson on January 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Maybe if they called it the Occupy Life march…..

Chip on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Occupy lib women’s wombs since they want to occupy our bank accounts?

/ (not sure if necessary, but to be on the safe side)

Atlas on January 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I just thought that with a little clever wordsmithing, we could trick the NSM into doing their job – reporting on the events of the day..

Chip on January 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

So let me get this straight, no coverage from the same folks who don’t care in the first place. This is surprising?

Bmore on January 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Remember…in the NYT’s bizarre world, if we don’t report it, it never really happened.

sdd on January 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I would be pro life, but I don’t like war enough and I am against the death penalty so Jesus probably hates me.

LevStrauss on January 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Tina, if you want to hear something heartening, 20 years ago there were thirteen abortion mills here in Dallas. Today there are five. Prayers and sidewalk counseling work.

Ward Cleaver on January 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM

They prefer the OCCUPOOPERS!

SgtRed on January 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

No worries, Tina, the ballot box is one helluva multiplier.

Limerick on January 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Here’s one of my favorite quotes about these rallies from a radical pro-abortionist, NARAL president Nancy Keenan: “I just thought, my gosh, they are so young. There are so many of them, and they are so young.”

updog on January 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

How about the Washington Post?

Cindy Munford on January 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Chip on January 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I think the parallel is apt. Liberals seem to have the same view about conservative’s money as they perceive conservatives having about their bodies. I’m not entirely sure why they so ardently demand reductions in economic freedom while they so detest apparent limitations in economic freedom.

Atlas on January 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

LevStrauss on January 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Nah-Jesus hate you because you support Ron Paul.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

She let out a looong sigh.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp:Yup,what luck,with so much Primary news,
I didn’t hear about this,and I’m 5 months
older than Kirk,he was born in 1959!:)

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

LevStrauss on January 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Nope, Jesus only hates those evil Koch brothers for producing light, energy, food, and paper. Because, you know, they make lots of money from those activities, and Jesus was really a socialist. Or something.

Atlas on January 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Almost everyone predicted this on yesterdays thread.
What media??????
The current Politburo!?
There is no media as we knew it!
Change, you can believe in!

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The Mister was also born in 1959.
He’s short and fat and smokes-and I worry about his health…alot.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Hot Air as well.

ernesto on January 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

If Kirk is incapacitated enough to resign Quinn will appoint a placeholder(D of course) until the general or special election.
The only reason Kirk won was because he was running against the Mob’s banker.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

These prolifers just don’t know how to stage a protest.

First off, there were no molatov cocktails, no ‘youths’ with their faces covered by bandanas, no shaking of angry fists, no pipe bombs, no defecating on police cars and- most telling- there were no arrests.

If these people want to get the media to pay attention, they need to make a mess. Stop cleaning up after themselves, get loud (PRAYING in front of the Supreme Court? Really, lifers? You should be YELLING in front of the Supreme Court.) and get destructive.

Also, it helps if you get Nancy Pelosi and our beloved Dear President to give you a positive soundbite. That’s always good.

Book on January 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Reporting on peaceful, pro-life demonstrators doesn’t advance their narrative, so they don’t care about it. I’m only surprised that they didn’t report that 100,000 intolerant religious nuts marched on DC because they all want women to die on the floor and our daughters’ dreams destroyed.

KateNE on January 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I took a look at the photos knowing what I’d see from our side (pro-life) and, yup, thousands and thousands stretching as far as I could see down the street. Several pictures later, all 10-15 of the “pro-choice” pickets, photographed upward so it would look like a bigger crowd.

Also, didn’t you just love the juxtaposition of pictures before and after the pro-life (not referencing Chelsie, although that one looked more pro-life!), especially the saving of the pigmy elephant, etc. yet no concern on the part of the NYTs for saving pre-born children.

IrishEyes on January 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Following in this theme, the National Citizens Coalition of Canada is collecting e-signatures for a petition to stop funding the CBC (Continuously Biased Commentary) with taxpayer dollars – in the USA, think NPR on super steroids. The site is http://www.cbcoptout.ca/

Get on it fellow HA Canuckleheads and help this go viral!

pos4thst on January 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM

The news should be paying much less attention to protest in general unless they affect elections.

As much as I dislike the pro-life movement, I must admit that have tended to be polite since the era of abortion doctor shootings. This shows more learning and restraint than do the various leftist protests like Occupy.

thuja on January 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM

We all know the agendas of the left wing, main stream media but it is nevertheless disturbing to witness their blatant avoidance and rejection of all causes not consistent with their Marxist, hedonistic political preferences.

rplat on January 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

thuja on January 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Since I support the death penalty I’m not ‘pro-life’-I’m anti-abortion…and how could have a problem with people out marching against the murder of the pre-born?
That’s what an abortion is: The MURDER of an unborn child.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM

yeah I did a search last night like ‘march for life abc’ etc. to see who reported, it was only local affiliates who covered for the networks.

This is honestly the biggest piece of physical evidence, with clear point/counterpoint, for the ‘MSM is liberal bias’ meme. You can’t cover 50 douchebags in a park who are anti-American, doing drugs, stabbing, shooting, sexual assaulting…and then not cover 100k persons. Next time it’s not March for Life, it’s Occupy the Mall, or Occupy the Womb…Occupy Life?

Again, it’s the states that give in to the courts, yet still have the ability to make and enforce laws, and ignore the tribunal.

John Kettlewell on January 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM

ernesto on January 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Yes, but unlike the NYT, HA doesn’t claim to be unbiased. Then again, I’n not surprised you couldn’t see the difference, even while you were proving Tina’s point.

psrch on January 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The only reason Kirk won was because he was running against the Mob’s banker.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

annoyinglittletwerp:Good points,I just hope he recovers to
his normalcy!:)

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM

And this surprises who exactly?

The only solace here is that folks nowadays are getting less and less of their information from the mainstream media. The NY Times stopped being relevant a decade ago. All it gets from me is a passing glance at the front cover while waiting on line at Starbucks. Then, when I get close enough, I piss of liberals by pulling a copy of the Wall Street Journal from the bottom rack (of a four rack newspaper holder) and I place it on top of the “Times”….oh yeah, stickin’ it to da’ man!!!

Tina, thanks for covering the March for Life….you did your job as a journalist. One can only hope the rest of the “establishment” will wake up some day….

powerpickle on January 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The Mister was also born in 1959.
He’s short and fat and smokes-and I worry about his health…alot.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM

annoyinglittletwerp:Small world eh,so hubby was also born when
Gary Powers U-2 was shot down over the USSR!

Ya,you have to watch your weight,I don’t
smoke,raely have a drink,and same weight
as high school,I weight-lifted for many
years!:)

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Is a yearly march that never accomplishes or changes anything really news? What’s really the takeaway point from covering something like this? A lot of people don’t like abortion? Not very exciting.

Armin Tamzarian on January 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM

It isn’t that the NYT can’t, it’s that they can’t be bothered covering an event counter to its agenda and simply refuse to cover, especially if it is peaceful with well mannered and well bathed clean mouthed participants that tend not to spew trash and bodily fluids.

hawkeye54 on January 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Not nearly as exciting as a few drugged out Marxist’s raping women in tents.

kirkill on January 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Oddly, the only thing I have heard about this march is that the marchers left a lot of litter behind.

Count to 10 on January 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM

So stop using the NYT (and Politico and HuffPo and MSNBC and so on) as a creditable, objective, and definitive source of news. Are you listening Ed, AP?

Knott Buyinit on January 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Kudos to you!

JannyMae on January 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Um, when you have the same, predictable, event for 39 years, it’s not national news.

Note that the hated Washington Post covered the March on the front page of it’s Metro section, giving it better coverage than the reliably conservative Washington Examiner, which buried it randomly inside the paper.

urban elitist on January 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM

That’s what an abortion is: The MURDER of an unborn child.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM

This is how the pro-death argument flows…

Pro-lifer: Abortion is murder.

Pro-deather: No it isn’t. It’s just a mass of tissue.

Pro-lifer presents evidence that it’s a fully formed human.

Pro-deather: Well, but it’s not a PERSON!

Pro-lifer: How about the full term babies that are murdered? Are they PERSONS?

Pro-deather: Well, those terminations should only be performed if the woman’s life health is in danger.

Pro-lifer: Look at this article about Kermit Gosnell.

Pro-deather: SILENCE

JannyMae on January 24, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Sez you. Whenever NARAL marches, coverage is given to it, even if only 25 people show up. It’s the bias that’s predictable.

JannyMae on January 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

JannyMae on January 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I’d like to see a link. And coverage by a national media outlet, not just the local papers.

I actually can’t remember the last time — if ever — NARAL had a march. I think there was a big “women’s rights” one in the 80s?

But go for it, Janny.

urban elitist on January 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well lets see here, we have 100 thousand plus people peacefully protesting the ability of others to commit open murder on the most defenseless members on society: unborn children. The pro life protesters were clean, peaceful, knew what they were protesting, did their protest and then went back home to their jobs and families, but that does not serve the liberal agenda so it gets ignored. Now if we had about 50 useless idiot protesters or so who: have no clue why they are there, who were poop on cop cars and urinating in the streets, rape woman, openly selling and using drugs, vandalizing property, refusing to leave the area and sleeping in their own filth, demanding the government give them free money and other freebies including paying off their student loans, calling for socialism in America while waving flags with photos of mass murdering socialist thugs on them, the liberal media will be would be there in mass and be calling it a huge peaceful protest that all Americans must embrace. Media bias noooooooo why would anyone think that.

Beastdogs on January 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Maybe if they called it the Occupy Life march…..

Chip on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I hereby award you the Snark of the Week trophy. Do I have the authority of HotGas to do so? Nope, but I’m doing it anyway.

platypus on January 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Beastdogs on January 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Send me a dozen bottles of your attitude, please. I have acquaintances who desperately need a dose.

platypus on January 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM

^

Reminds me of a conversation I once had with a liberal. A particularly annoying one. I pointed out that the majority of mainstream news outlets are liberal propaganda. Rather than argue with that point, she just claimed that the conservative propaganda from Fox News contained more bias than all the leftist news sources combined. I laughed and said that I didn’t mind the “bias” part of liberal bias, but rather the “liberal” part of it.

She really hated me after that. Good times.

Mr. Prodigy on January 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Following this logic, if the Republican nominee is elected President, Time magazine will cease to exist!

Cosmo on January 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Note to organizers: Next year, provide free feces and urine for throwing.

BobMbx on January 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Capitalist that I am, I’m selling mine.

samharker on January 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The Grey Lady, the “paper of record”…. and the most in your face example of an extremely leftwing press who distort, omit the truth when it contradicts their views, and generally pick their stories and narrative them to put the best propaganda sheen on their brand of progressive politics.. They have the most dishonest columnists, and the lamest (please wike me Mr. wiberal sir) boot licking faux conservatives they can find. It’s not that they are liberal in the extreme..

It’s that they lie about it..

and they lie about the conservative America they so enjoy ridiculing. They distort our views, misquote, and throw context out the window, they show more respect for the views of the Taliban fighting our troops,.. (a huge number of whom, are from that same conservative family America), than they do social conservatives,… They spit on national security when a republican serves as President, yet roll over and play dead when Valarie Jarret barks at them to lay off something. They aided and abetted every leftwing protest, while ignoring any conservative ones, and have spent 3 years painting the Tea Party as extremists nutjobs… potentially violent, devisive and dangerous…

Yet the hundreds plus actual violent crimes of the much adored by them occupy crowd, earns love pats and sympathetic editorials from those same guardians of the public narrative.

The right is always hatefilled, racist, and fear mongering,..

The left is always full of hope, peace, love, and good intentions for the public good, even when they are raping women they dragged into tents at an occupy protests, defacing public property or putting police officers in the hospital.. They love the revolutionary chic of the Che’ of the moment, always sypathize with our foreign enemies (When an R is in the White House), always impugn the patriotism of the right, the courage, the honor and integrity,.. we have no heroes, no giants.. they won’t allow that..

But a pretty boy president with a thousand days and no accomplishments besides a near miss with nuclear war, is martyred, suddenly he’s right besides Washington and Lincoln? Reagan was the only president to survive a gunshot wound, and they still sneer and smirk when they mention him, except when trying to steal his mantel and popularity to wrap around Obama.

They have led the national media’s coverage by the subjects they have chosen, and like lemmings, the media follow their lead. The Country is so divided, so outraged, and after ginning up that division, they attempt to blame it on Sarah, or Newt, or who ever speaks on the right.

We’ve been getting sh*t on for decades, and some thin k we should just ignore it, and move on?

We’ve been doing that, and it’s gotten us nothing but more propaganda heaped on us, more distortion, more lies…

Enough, capital friggin E NOUGH..

If as deeply flawed as he is, Newt will drop kick Brian Williams nutz over the backfield fence, then he’s going to get the prize. Mitt wantz some of that, then try attacking the media bias, the media Obama spin machine for once rather than the conservatives who don’t like his limp appeal.

We want bared teeth, we want snarls, we want the media to finally without the damned mask address why they lie so routinely about half the country..

a long rant, I’m sorry for that.. but I’ve had that inside my chest since Reagan’s first term, the media only got worse, they barely even care that even the middle sees it now, another Obama turn, they’ll admit it openly..

We have a two party system, and a one party state press.

mark81150 on January 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM

The March For Life doesn’t put the fear of God in ‘em.

That’s the only thing that’s ever gonna change this situation, unfortunately.

Cleombrotus on January 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

LevStrauss on January 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Oh, I get it. Cause people who think one way on one issue must absolutely think a specific way about two or three other issues too! Cause people are really as simplistic as you.

I’m done thinking you’re too smart for this. You’re either a troll or completely sincere. Either way, you’re a waste of anyone’s time.

Esthier on January 24, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Esthier–don’t feed the trolls. It’s like teaching a pig to sing— it wastes your time and it annoys the pig…

HatfieldMcCoy on January 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Hot Air as well.

ernesto on January 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

lol, You are so full of shite, I’m sure your eyes must be brown. Hot Air runs any number of articles promoting positive reports of Obama’s polls, acheivements, Krugman crap, you name it.

You freaking find anything comparable on DKOS or HuffPo and show us. And you are free to post any of your clap-trap BS liberal musings here unfettered. I’ve had an account at HuffPo for years and never once got a comment past moderation.

Classic liberal bull.

hawkdriver on January 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

If anyone was thinking that the bias in the media was only a benign, natural result of the aggregate personal bias of journalists, this should push them across the line. Our media isn’t manifesting an observer’s error; it is corrupt.

@AP — You point out that it is silly (my word) to blame the media for reporting something true that we would prefer not to hear, but when the person telling you the gossip is telling you because they know it will make you angry, it’s hard not to be as angry at them as the news itself. We’re being screwed with, and we know it.

@TK — Thanks for the post.

Axe on January 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Anything like this on the news? Because this is what is actually happening at actual rallies here in the actual world.

Content warning!

This is a photographic record of the “Walk for Life West Coast” march and counter-protest that happened in San Francisco on Saturday, January 21, 2006.

Axe on January 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Thanks Tina! Every year I wonder what the media coverage of the march will be like. Unfortunately, last year Hot Air’s coverage was about the same as everyone else. I’m pleased to see you are changing that.

Goldenavatar on January 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM

To fight this you need to stop purchasing/using/quoting the mainstream media. They are dying but slowly. We cancelled our local paper which has been getting smaller and smaller (like many others). It will never disappear but its influence is definitely waning. The NYT stock price reflects its decline. Evening news too is losing ground to the internet. Within ten years I expect none of the mainstream media will be anything other than one other internet site that liberals click on to hear their view of the world repeated. Short those media stocks and any green stocks and you can be pretty confident of a good return.

Over50 on January 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM

entagor on January 25, 2012 at 2:23 AM

The New York Times weekday circulation is 1.2 million. During Primetime, Fox News reaches 2.3 million viewers. Guess what? Fox News IS the mainstream media. Get over it, Tina. Your whiny victimhood is disingenuous, divisive, and disgusting.

sob0728 on January 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM

As Dr. Groseclose of UCLA wrote about in his book, the propaganda in the media is not what they say, but what they DON’T say. And this story is a perfect example – especially since a majority of Americans now oppose abortion.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on January 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM

so? what’s the fix?

Dr. Demento on January 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Your whiny victimhood is disingenuous, divisive, and disgusting.

sob0728 on January 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Ms. Korbe isn’t being whiny, nor is she embracing victimhood, being divisive or behaving in a disgusting fashion. You, however, appear to ready to stamp your feet and let out a keening wail.

zoyclem on January 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

You can start with the right-wing (GOP-fiscals and libertarians?) media and websites Tina. Even your embarassing points only drew 88 comments as I write this.

If it were about taxes instead of slaughtering innocent humans ,it would be still be smoking hot….

Don L on January 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM