Open thread: Hey, who’s up for an hour-long lecture on “fairness”? Update: Full text added; Update: Text of Daniels’s rebuttal added

posted at 8:25 pm on January 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

9 p.m. ET all across the dial. I promise you this: No matter how bad you think this will be, it’ll be even worse. Don’t believe me? Go read Matt Welch’s Frankenstein State of the Union, stitched together from the remains of more than five decades of SOTU addresses. Ninety percent of these speeches is boilerplate that gets repeated by Democratic and Republican presidents alike year after tedious year. The only reason to watch is that other 10 percent.

And I think you can guess what that’ll be about.

“We can either settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of Americans barely get by,” Mr. Obama says in brief excerpts of the speech released by the White House on Tuesday evening. “Or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share and everyone plays by the same set of rules.”

By putting a significant accent on taxes, where his differences with Congressional Republicans have always been pronounced, Mr. Obama renews the pressure on them to extend once again a temporary payroll tax break for most working Americans — and also amplifies the attention that has been focused all week on the wealth of Mitt Romney, one of his leading challengers, who has disclosed that he pays less than 15 percent on income of more than $20 million a year.

For weeks, Mr. Obama and his aides have been signaling that the theme of Tuesday’s speech, scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. Eastern Time, would be that the richest Americans should shoulder more of the nation’s tax burden, that the middle class should have a shot at prosperity and that the disadvantaged should be provided social scaffolding to help them climb upward.

In case you’re a prominent Democrat and that’s too complicated for you to follow, the White House also issued a set of talking points for the speech today. Meanwhile, Warren Buffett’s secretary will be onhand for the obligatory Skutnik moment when he calls for a new “Buffett Rule” on taxes (soon to become the “Romney Rule” if Mitt is the nominee). The Buffett Rule won’t fix entitlements and it won’t erase our deficits, but it might get The One re-elected — it’s popular, after all — and of course that’s what really matters. (His own top economic advisors warned him long ago that our current deficits are unsustainable, but oh well.) Apparently he’s also planning to say “I intend to fight obstruction with action” to show that he’s a can-do man of action, so if you liked those unconstitutional recess appointments earlier this month, good news: There may be more illegal power grabs to come.

Meanwhile, via Boehner’s office, a few snippets from Mitch Daniels’s rebuttal:

The extremism that stifles the development of homegrown energy, or cancels a perfectly safe pipeline that would employ tens of thousands, or jacks up consumer utility bills for no improvement in either human health or world temperature, is a pro-poverty policy. It must be replaced by a passionate pro-growth approach that breaks all ties and calls all close ones in favor of private sector jobs that restore opportunity for all and generate the public revenues to pay our bills…

It’s not fair and it’s not true for the President to attack Republicans in Congress as obstacles on these questions. They and they alone have passed bills to reduce borrowing, reform entitlements, and encourage new job creation, only to be shot down nearly time and again by the President and his Democrat Senate allies…

No feature of the Obama Presidency has been sadder than its constant efforts to divide us, to curry favor with some Americans by castigating others. As in previous moments of national danger, we Americans are all in the same boat. If we drift, quarreling and paralyzed, over a Niagara of debt, we will all suffer, regardless of income, race, gender, or other category. If we fail to shift to a pro-jobs, pro-growth economic policy, there will never be enough public revenue to pay for our safety net, national security, or whatever size government we decide to have.

Let the Daniels 2012 speculation begin! Here’s your handy dandy Hot Air/Townhall widget for livetweeting plus a sneak preview of tonight’s address that was released a few days ago — by Obama’s campaign, not by the White House. Like Krauthammer says, “This is all about reelection. This is not a State of the Union, it’s the state of the presidency.” Exit question: Will he attack the Supreme Court again tonight or is it some other group’s turn to be demagogued?

Update: National Journal has the text of O’s speech as prepared for delivery. Key bit:

Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you’re earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn’t get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn’t go up. You’re the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You’re the ones who need relief.

Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense.

We don’t begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it’s not because they envy the rich. It’s because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don’t need and the country can’t afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference – like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet. That’s not right. Americans know it’s not right. They know that this generation’s success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country’s future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That’s how we’ll reduce our deficit. That’s an America built to last.

Update: And here’s Daniels’s rebuttal, again as prepared for delivery.

A second view, which I admit some Republicans also seem to hold, is that we Americans are no longer up to the job of self-government. We can’t do the simple math that proves the unaffordability of today’s safety net programs, or all the government we now have. We will fall for the con job that says we can just plow ahead and someone else will pick up the tab. We will allow ourselves to be pitted one against the other, blaming our neighbor for troubles worldwide trends or our own government has caused.

2012 must be the year we prove the doubters wrong. The year we strike out boldly not merely to avert national bankruptcy but to say to a new generation that America is still the world’s premier land of opportunity. Republicans will speak for those who believe in the dignity and capacity of the individual citizen; who believe that government is meant to serve the people rather than supervise them; who trust Americans enough to tell them the plain truth about the fix we are in, and to lay before them a specific, credible program of change big enough to meet the emergency we are facing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 22

Heeere we go. Barack’s Bullsh*t Bingo Game, SOTU 2012 Edition

Print.

/Poster is not responsible for the drunkeness of those who choose to engage in Barack’s Bullsh*t.

HT: IOTW

Key West Reader on January 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

“Arbeit macht frei. Thank you and good night.”

-PBHO

Bishop on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I think I’ll be playing video games instead. Or clip my toenails. Not sure which.

JellyToast on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

pilamaye on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

A little more detail, please. ;)

predator on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

FACT: Bed bugs carry 24 known pathogens including MRSA.

CW on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

FACT: CW is liked as well as MRSA around here.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Hopeys Excellent Social Justice Crusade Adventure Speechy!

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Is she still around?

OmahaConservative on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Well there are a lot of new troll-bags here from the last registration event.
Perhaps crraper6 got tired of being super smart wannabe lawyer person & wants to be a bedbug now.
It’s hard to tell what’s worse: crap or bedbugs .

Badger40 on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Hope she turns the damn thing off before he speaks, it’s so annoying.

TXUS on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

ROTFLMAO

katy the mean old lady on January 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Let Me Be Clear.

Focus Like A Laser.

Can’t forget those two mainstays.

Flange on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Yes, and here are a few more.

CLEAN ENERGY

GREEN JOBS

FUTURE

JOBS

ENERGY INDEPENDENCE

ENVIRONMENT

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Okay, imma gonna watch, only because this will be Barrack Obamma’s last SOTU!!

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I’m not watching.

I have better things to do than yell, curse, and throw things at the TV.

Besides, I already know what the Marxist resident of the White House is going to say: lots of straw men will be knocked down while he calls for “economic justice”.

MidniteRambler on January 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Allah, I salute your political wisdom. Daniels 2012 but Palin cannot enter the race.

promachus on January 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

and former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain

will deliver the Tea Party response.

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Cain cannot give a “tea party response” because there isn’t a hierarchy. There is literally no one who can give it.

He might have permission to give the Tea Party Express response since that’s a PAC and has a boss somewhere.

I can tell you this – if he says he has the tea party behind him, I will make sure he never gets a conference call with Tea Party Patriots members again.

platypus on January 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM

She lives for these. She runs over people to get face time with the president, republican or democrat. It makes her feel special.

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I know, she shows up, I think, when they open the chamber on the morning of a SOTU to claim her entrance aisle seat. Unfortunately, I know her and have to deal with her over the years, one strange BBW.

TXUS on January 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Can’t watch. Playing with my pussies.
*I have 2 cats and a kitteh*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I don’t

rotorjoe on January 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I T ‘ S – G R O U N D H O G – D A Y !

…featuring lying POS…JugEars and his MSM cast of characters!

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I’m not watching.

I have better things to do than yell, swear, and throw things at the TV as the Community Organizer-in-Chief knocks down straw men while calling for “economic justice”.

MidniteRambler on January 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Badger40 on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Yeah, I noticed the last OR let in a lot of trolls and some nasty posters…

OmahaConservative on January 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Interesting!!
==============

White House:
*************

US Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack designated not to attend the State of the Union
53 secs ago

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

TXUS on January 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Wow, I am so sorry you had to actually see her in person. Wow. Chilling, chilling stuff.

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Hope she turns the damn thing off before he speaks, it’s so annoying.

TXUS on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

ROTFLMAO

katy the mean old lady on January 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I THOUGHT that’s what he meant. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I figure his first platitude will be “Let me be perfectly clear” right before he lies and obfuscates. His first lie will be a mention of the imaginary jobs ‘created or saved’ number.

JIMV on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

This will be the last SOTU speech given by a community organizer…

d1carter on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

“Arbeit macht frei. Thank you and good night.”

-PBHO

Bishop on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

And at the same time thinking “Voltt ihr den totalen krieg?”

50sGuy on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Tonight is Obama’s time to shine at what he does
He will attempt to poison the minds of the electorate with fairness. After all, all those evil people who have something aren’t sharing and you deserve something too !
He will start his class warfare campaign in earnest, laying out fairness points, smacking down anyone who disagrees
He will ask his “army of supporters” to do the smacking
He will try to make a great divide, but he will insert the wedge slowly but with polished “word lubricant” so we do not know what he is trying to accomplish
He will go after the rich, but folks do the math. Take away every penny the rich have we are still 1.5 Trillion in the hole every year !
That means that as he follows along this road, that eventually everyone who DOES pay the federal tax bill ( 51% ) will eventually just have to give it up to the 49% who pay nothing.
This is Obama’s strategy, to smooth talk and lie to the base democrats, to rile up his acorn/muslim brotherhood army, to deceive all Americans.
To convince us that Class is somehow greater than America/American.
That and unicorn farts and rainbow jelly beans can give us all jobs abd free energy

dazed_in_oh on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

we should also bet on the number of times he blames Bush or Congress for his inability to do anything positive through his schemes.

JIMV on January 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

RUBIO!

CyberCipher on January 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Yes. Republicans cannot be civil. Fact.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Says the supporter of the most uncivil president who disrespected the Supremes in anothe State of the Union address. Talk about uncivil.

D-fusit on January 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

We need a game show host.

Herman Cain?

Come on Down!

Key West Reader on January 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

WHAT THE BINGO PHRASES SHOULD REALLY BE.

MARXIST

TAKE

SCREW

DESTROY

AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE A JOKE

I LOOK GOOD

YOU DON’T HAVE A PRAYER

ONE WORLD

ONE KING

ONE GOD

ME.

If the truth were being spoken
…….

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Will someone who’s watching this Star Wars bar scene be so kind to let me know if Obama happens to announce his resignation. If so, then I’ll switch to it from the replay of the AFC Championship Game. Thanks.

TXUS on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Look for a plea for four more years because these are special times with special circumstances that take special timelines from special men.

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I hope Pelosium’s EYES don’t go “CRITICAL”!!

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Heh. Blinky the Jack in the Box.

IrishEi on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Okay, imma gonna watch, only because this will be Barrack Obamma’s last SOTU!!

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Your lips to God’s ears. I just cannot stand his whistling when he speaks…

OmahaConservative on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Can’t watch. Playing with my pussies.
*I have 2 cats and a kitteh*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

annoyinglittletwerp:

Lol,i too have 3 cats,in which one has a “Kitteh”!!!

Hey,AllahPundit has cats too,I wonder,if any of them
has a Kitteh,as well!

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

pilamaye on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The 25th Annual California Gold Rush Sale on QVC sounds better, but then again I’ll be watching BO. I’m a glutton for punishment. I’m used to it. I’m a Cub fan.

CTSherman on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Will he say “proletariat” tonight?

You know he wants to.

BobMbx on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Mr. Curly and I are going to watch Shake Hands With the Devil, which I recorded the other night. Appropos, no?

I’ll keep an eye on the comments, though. I just can’t quit youse!

Naturally Curly on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Not watching… I am sure there is an NCIS rerun on TV somewhere…

Khun Joe on January 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

53 secs ago

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

/He’s in charge of Food Stamps!

And Pigford.

Key West Reader on January 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

FACT: CW is liked as well as MRSA around here.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Wow. Good one. You got me.

CW on January 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

and if you need anymore proof that both the gop and the “tea party” are through as a political opposition movement.

Mitch Daniels will give the squishy rebuttal

and the seminal political joke of the year Herman Cain will be giving the tea party response.

must remain calm…..where are meds?

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Hey, has anybody marketed a little Obama doll complete with teleprompter?

Woohoo! I could be rich!

Oh wait, Barry’s talking about me giving up all my future profits…never mind.

litebeam1 on January 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I’m Youtubin’ some Eighties music, plotting my revenge against a bully in Sorority Life, and what my husband and I are going to do this weekend to celebrate his new job (besides that–that’s a given)

Sekhmet on January 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

We, must, uh, put Americans back to work! (Applause from The Usual Suspects…except Jon Kerry who is sleeping off a bender and trying to hide his two black eyes and broken nose, delivered by Teresa.

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I’m watching old reruns of “Aaron Rogers Jewbeard” on Bravo.

rickyricardo on January 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM
/He’s in charge of Food Stamps!

And Pigford.

Key West Reader on January 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Key Westt Reader:Lol,hey,hes avoiding a possible Pitch Forky’s and
Tar Feathery’s!!:)

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Instead of Mitch Daniels delivering the counter-SOTU. We need an snazzy 2012 update to Make Mine Freedom. A lot of people in this country need some education in the basics.

Firefly_76 on January 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

/Mooch

Key West Reader on January 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM

How many times will little Bammie give Republicans the finger?

slickwillie2001 on January 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM

My husband has Netflixed some Jackie Chan movie. Good choice.

Sekhmet on January 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Comment flagged as offensive to Obama

roy_batty on January 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Serious question: Have you ever suffered brain damage? If you have I will feel very guilty talking to you the way I do. You sound like you took a fall somewhere along the line. Possibly a stroke? Your synapses don’t fire like a normal person’s.

CW on January 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

[USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS TOAST]

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Tea Party Express will have Herman Cain give the TP response.
He’ll be at the National Press Corp and it’s streaming live at:

bluefox on January 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Heh. Blinky the Jack in the Box.

IrishEi on January 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

IrishEi:Good one!!:)

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I did not watch it, choosing instead to drink beer an sur the intranmet. Is he talking about what is faiur?

Obama faiur!
Obama faiur!

Herald of Woe on January 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I’m also currently monitoring “The most Interesting Man in the World’s” Twitter feed.

His headphones have never been tangled

He once played soccer when he was paralyzed from the waist below

When he SCUBA dives, the fish come to look at him.

When he looks in the mirror. He gives the mirror an orgasm.

He once won the World Cup. As a referee

rickyricardo on January 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Bedbug, who signs you paycheck DWS or Axelrod?

D-fusit on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Does anyone have a link for a livestream of the STFU? Need to pick it up online.

THX!

swede7 on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I plan to vote for Newt, but if Daniels got in I would reconsider.

Lawdawg86 on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

BedBug can’t help it. His mama didn’t know you aren’t supposed to smoke that stuff while pregnant.

Sekhmet on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

“Tonight I am happy to announce a comprehensive plan by my administration to lower the deficit, and it will only cost three trillion dollars.”

-PBHO

Bishop on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Seriously? People will be getting together to watch a SOTU address? Does the President think he is at the level of the Super Bowl? The Oscars? What ignorant arrogance.

I’ll be watching any old episode of Burn Notice, or The Closer on PVR. Or the Winnipeg Jets. Something people might actually watch together.

Sheesh.

brambo_42 on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Plastic surgeon and Botox bruising under both eyes. Which makes his “playing hockey” quip even more laughable.

aquaviva on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

crrrap6? Is that you?

Badger40 on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I’m thinking maybe poster ‘audicious’, or something like that.

slickwillie2001 on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Not me or mine. Our TVs are all turned off.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I guess there won’t be any mention of contraceptives, Fidel Castro, Terry Schiavo or sugar cane tonight.

SlaveDog on January 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Did I miss any?

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Not that he will say it, but PERDITION
has been tumbling around in my brain for
the last few years.

mickytx on January 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

[USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS TOAST]

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

carbon_footprint:Who got banned?!

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Sekhmet on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I was serious with my last post. Something not normal there.

CW on January 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Mitch Daniels will give the squishy rebuttal

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Isn’t this the same guy who gets bossed around by his wife?

platypus on January 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Tea Party Express will have Herman Cain give the TP response.
He’ll be at the National Press Corp and it’s streaming live at:

bluefox on January 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Some hoe’s house?

Key West Reader on January 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

aquaviva on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Ah, compelling theory. Now I am not sure whether he fell down the stairs whilst drunk, got punched by Teresa or your botox/surgery angle. Well done.

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

The bilch is late.

Key West Reader on January 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

THX!

swede7 on January 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

OmahaConservative on January 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Blueprint for an America built to BE last.

Doug Piranha on January 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

He’ll attack the SCOTUS , and also
White people
Working people ( non-union non-thugs)
Taxpaying people