Open thread: Hey, who’s up for an hour-long lecture on “fairness”? Update: Full text added; Update: Text of Daniels’s rebuttal added

posted at 8:25 pm on January 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

9 p.m. ET all across the dial. I promise you this: No matter how bad you think this will be, it’ll be even worse. Don’t believe me? Go read Matt Welch’s Frankenstein State of the Union, stitched together from the remains of more than five decades of SOTU addresses. Ninety percent of these speeches is boilerplate that gets repeated by Democratic and Republican presidents alike year after tedious year. The only reason to watch is that other 10 percent.

And I think you can guess what that’ll be about.

“We can either settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of Americans barely get by,” Mr. Obama says in brief excerpts of the speech released by the White House on Tuesday evening. “Or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share and everyone plays by the same set of rules.”

By putting a significant accent on taxes, where his differences with Congressional Republicans have always been pronounced, Mr. Obama renews the pressure on them to extend once again a temporary payroll tax break for most working Americans — and also amplifies the attention that has been focused all week on the wealth of Mitt Romney, one of his leading challengers, who has disclosed that he pays less than 15 percent on income of more than $20 million a year.

For weeks, Mr. Obama and his aides have been signaling that the theme of Tuesday’s speech, scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. Eastern Time, would be that the richest Americans should shoulder more of the nation’s tax burden, that the middle class should have a shot at prosperity and that the disadvantaged should be provided social scaffolding to help them climb upward.

In case you’re a prominent Democrat and that’s too complicated for you to follow, the White House also issued a set of talking points for the speech today. Meanwhile, Warren Buffett’s secretary will be onhand for the obligatory Skutnik moment when he calls for a new “Buffett Rule” on taxes (soon to become the “Romney Rule” if Mitt is the nominee). The Buffett Rule won’t fix entitlements and it won’t erase our deficits, but it might get The One re-elected — it’s popular, after all — and of course that’s what really matters. (His own top economic advisors warned him long ago that our current deficits are unsustainable, but oh well.) Apparently he’s also planning to say “I intend to fight obstruction with action” to show that he’s a can-do man of action, so if you liked those unconstitutional recess appointments earlier this month, good news: There may be more illegal power grabs to come.

Meanwhile, via Boehner’s office, a few snippets from Mitch Daniels’s rebuttal:

The extremism that stifles the development of homegrown energy, or cancels a perfectly safe pipeline that would employ tens of thousands, or jacks up consumer utility bills for no improvement in either human health or world temperature, is a pro-poverty policy. It must be replaced by a passionate pro-growth approach that breaks all ties and calls all close ones in favor of private sector jobs that restore opportunity for all and generate the public revenues to pay our bills…

It’s not fair and it’s not true for the President to attack Republicans in Congress as obstacles on these questions. They and they alone have passed bills to reduce borrowing, reform entitlements, and encourage new job creation, only to be shot down nearly time and again by the President and his Democrat Senate allies…

No feature of the Obama Presidency has been sadder than its constant efforts to divide us, to curry favor with some Americans by castigating others. As in previous moments of national danger, we Americans are all in the same boat. If we drift, quarreling and paralyzed, over a Niagara of debt, we will all suffer, regardless of income, race, gender, or other category. If we fail to shift to a pro-jobs, pro-growth economic policy, there will never be enough public revenue to pay for our safety net, national security, or whatever size government we decide to have.

Let the Daniels 2012 speculation begin! Here’s your handy dandy Hot Air/Townhall widget for livetweeting plus a sneak preview of tonight’s address that was released a few days ago — by Obama’s campaign, not by the White House. Like Krauthammer says, “This is all about reelection. This is not a State of the Union, it’s the state of the presidency.” Exit question: Will he attack the Supreme Court again tonight or is it some other group’s turn to be demagogued?

Update: National Journal has the text of O’s speech as prepared for delivery. Key bit:

Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you’re earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn’t get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn’t go up. You’re the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You’re the ones who need relief.

Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense.

We don’t begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it’s not because they envy the rich. It’s because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don’t need and the country can’t afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference – like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet. That’s not right. Americans know it’s not right. They know that this generation’s success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country’s future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That’s how we’ll reduce our deficit. That’s an America built to last.

Update: And here’s Daniels’s rebuttal, again as prepared for delivery.

A second view, which I admit some Republicans also seem to hold, is that we Americans are no longer up to the job of self-government. We can’t do the simple math that proves the unaffordability of today’s safety net programs, or all the government we now have. We will fall for the con job that says we can just plow ahead and someone else will pick up the tab. We will allow ourselves to be pitted one against the other, blaming our neighbor for troubles worldwide trends or our own government has caused.

2012 must be the year we prove the doubters wrong. The year we strike out boldly not merely to avert national bankruptcy but to say to a new generation that America is still the world’s premier land of opportunity. Republicans will speak for those who believe in the dignity and capacity of the individual citizen; who believe that government is meant to serve the people rather than supervise them; who trust Americans enough to tell them the plain truth about the fix we are in, and to lay before them a specific, credible program of change big enough to meet the emergency we are facing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 22

FIRST!!

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Holding for bishop.

platypus on January 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

pass…thanks anyhoo

ted c on January 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Second

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Can’t I just admit it’s all my fault?

ronsfi on January 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

canopfor, you can’t be first. It’s not allowed.

platypus on January 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I take that back.

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I wonder if Boehner will cry?

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Shouldn’t he save this speech for May Day?

Mark1971 on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

It’s just not fair.

Smedley on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Not me.

Flange on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

This is going to be painful.

Philly on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

AMATEUR IN CHIEF.

blatantblue on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Mic check!

Roymunson on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

What a waste of time. Here’s something thats well worth your time:

Augustine on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I am OK with Cafophor being first…..
It’s only fair!!!

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Online Streaming Live Feed!
NBC
—————————

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

How does Gingrich go after Obama for class warfare if he’s been doing it for weeks now too?

Mark1971 on January 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Here’s hoping this is his last SOTU..

TN Mom on January 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Oh, BTW, allahpundit – what did we do to you to deserve that pic of the evil dead? I just about lost my dinner.

platypus on January 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Chris Matthews is preparing for an hour of raging tingles.

Roymunson on January 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Wow..I again screwed up canopfor’s name..
Sorry.

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Rebuttal: photo montage of the Halloween party. We win.

Ronnie on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I’ll be busy sticking hay needles underneath my fingernails instead of watching that turd speak.

SouthernGent on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I hope not.
Uncomfortable facts.

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Here are the BINGO words for tonight boys and girls.

FAIRNESS

HOUSING CRISIS

FINANCIAL MARKETS

HEADWINDS

INHERITED

Did I miss any?

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

US President Barack Obama will deliver his third State of the Union address at 9 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 24.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels will deliver the Republican response,

and former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain

will deliver the Tea Party response.

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

What’s on tap for the drinking game? If “Fairness” is the codeword they’ll be allot of people calling in sick tomorrow!

LeftCoastRight on January 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I’m not a sadist, so I won’t punish myself by watching the Marxist in Chief. I’ll listen to Rush disect it tomorrow.

they lie on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Hey, who’s up for an hour-long lecture on “fairness”?

I’ll pass.

El_Terrible on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I have grown to loathe ‘fairness’ and ‘fair’. They are nebulous terms that are devoid of reason. Only children and individuals seeking power over others use those terms.

I hate this man no more than he hates me.

tom daschle concerned on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I wonder if Boehner will cry?

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Depends……is he awake? then yes.

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Wow..I again screwed up canopfor’s name..
Sorry.

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Electrongod:

DON’T.

DO.

IT.

Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(kidding)

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I hope not.
Uncomfortable facts.

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Yes. Republicans cannot be civil. Fact.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

and former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain

will deliver the Tea Party response.

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

and a large 1-topping for only $9.99.

Ronnie on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I am OK with Cafophor being first…..
It’s only fair!!!

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yeah? Bishop will not like your attitude.

katy the mean old lady on January 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Not gonna watch. I’m afraid that when he says, “The state of our union is strong,” that I’ll laugh so hard I’ll pull something and have to miss work tomorrow.

Think I’ll opt for On Thin Ice: Into the Arctic until I fall asleep.

predator on January 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

What’s on tap for the drinking game?

LeftCoastRight on January 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Any time Obama lies….
Which means……
I won’t make it through the night.

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Seriously, does anyone here have the stomach to watch this?

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Looking forward to the response. It’s time for the RNC to drop the hammer on this moron. We’ve got a national audience – use it.

The Count on January 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I have better things to do tonight than to watch the speech. I was planning on pulling my nails out one by one.

galtani on January 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I’d rather swim naked in a swimming pool full of razor blades.
NO THANKS.
I don’t like to listen to liars who continually insult me.

Badger40 on January 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

This one will be manning the gates or the ovens at the gulags.

tom daschle concerned on January 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Hey, who’s up for an hour-long lecture on “fairness”?

An hour? Really? So, it’ll only feel like The One goes on forever???

ugottabekiddingme on January 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Musical Interlude till Hopeys Fairness Speechy!
———————————————–

Rammstein ( Live aus Berlin ) HQ- HD
************************************

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Open thread: Hey, who’s up for an hour-long lecture on “fairness”?

No “Green Shoots”?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

What’s on tap for the drinking game?

LeftCoastRight on January 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

1. Drink until Michelle looks hot.
2. Call 911.

Ronnie on January 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I was gonna watch but have an ingrown toenail I need to dig out..priorities ya know :)

celt on January 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Drink everytime Obama says I….

idesign on January 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hey, another campaign speech…just what America needs.

d1carter on January 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

No thanks, maybe a nice hot soak in tub of boiling acid after I roll around on shards of broken glass while gargling razor blades.

SnakeHips on January 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Is it true Buffett’s holding company owns the railroad that loses money if the keystone pipeline gets built? He gets Obama to kill the pipeline in exchange for his very publicly paying some dough to the treasury to try and put more pressure on the inventors and employers to accept higher taxes instead of using the money to invest and grow the business. Wow. Just damn. Criminally stupid corrupt bastards in power today.

pc on January 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Q. Which Justices will show?
I will be watching for Justice Alito.
(Justice Thomas does not usually attend)

diogenes on January 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Not watching.

therightwinger on January 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I want to see at least one gingrich, obie debate. I think we’ll get it.

I wont comment, just live feed watch

Flapjackmaka on January 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

This one will be manning the gates or the ovens at the gulags.

tom daschle concerned on January 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Or maybe GITMO, perhaps?

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

We need a muzzle for you first.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Y’all have a great time throwing things at the tv and drinking at every other obnoxious word Obama speaks. I’m going out for a slurpee.

txhsmom on January 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Yes. Republicans cannot be civil. Fact.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I guess we need another civility speech from Obama…
That should do it..

Electrongod on January 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I’d rather slide down a giant razor into a pool filled with rubbing alcohol.

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Are we gonna get a thread on this?

Rational Thought on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

An economy “built to last,” Obama will tell us.

I prefer “an economy crumbling fast” but I welcome suggestions.

matthew8787 on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Btw: Not watching.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

“You know, “fair”. Like me and my wife getting into the Ivies.”

- President Barack H. Obama

rogerb on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Just get your Indonesian to stop lying.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

********************** Cut-Backs??!! **************************

Officials:
***********

Pentagon to cut US Air Force’s pricey Global Hawk drone program; Navy’s will continue

38 mins ago from http://www.startribune.com

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I think I’ll tune in just in case.

My collie says:

In case of what?

In case Joe Biden decides that it would be funny to moon the joint session.

CyberCipher on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Just painted bathroom…must watch paint dry!

Red Meat on January 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Guess I picked a bad night to quit drinking…

OmahaConservative on January 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Yes. Republicans cannot be civil. Fact.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

You are a nutty liberal troll. Fact.

JPeterman on January 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Umm…I think I’ll be taking in a Larry Hovis film festival around that time.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I taped Custer on PBS. I won’t watch a minute of this clown.

Hummer53 on January 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I’m not, I’m working out.

Apologetic California on January 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

We need a muzzle for you first.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

After you, babe.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

God Willing – may this be the last SOTU for this socialist, marxist piece of crap.

As many flaws as our candidates have – every single one of them would be better than this guy. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE

Now I’m going to go exercise which sounds more exciting than being lectured at.

gophergirl on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Yes. Republicans cannot be civil. Fact.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

crrrap6? Is that you?

Badger40 on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

canopfor, you can’t be first. It’s not allowed.

platypus on January 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

platypus:Crap,well,if Bishop would of emerged from his bunker
earlier—–(sarc):)

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

erikajohnsen: All the Congressmen and women filing in; Sheila Jackson Lee is looking positively vibrant

Hope she turns the damn thing off before he speaks, it’s so annoying.

TXUS on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I would rather spend the rest of my life in the front row of a Barry Manilow concert with my bare feet dipped in fish oil and immersed in a tub of live crabs, a colony of fire ants running loose in my pants, and all the time me chewing on a entire roll of aluminum foil before I would give one hour of my time listening to this Chicago Way-trained, Volt-driving, business destroying, healthcare system mangling, off-keyed singing born in Kenya, raised in Hawaii, Socialist in sheep’s clothing, and certified 99/44 100% pure idiot in desperate need of a village rant and blather on how he needs another four years to heap all that hope and change on our heads that he was supposed to have done the first four years except he spent the majority of his time on vacation or on the golf course!

pilamaye on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

We’re going to applaud a woman for paying her taxes?

aquaviva on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

It has been a really rough day! I Love myself too much to sit through more blaa blaa blaa! I end up talking to myself, all i can hear in my head is LIES LIES LIES!!!!

lisa fox on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

WE CANNOT BE CIVIL?

Oh please let us compare the Tea Party rally to any OWS rally. Let’s roll

CW on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

crrrap6? Is that you?

Badger40 on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Is she still around?

OmahaConservative on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I’m not watching. Don’t want my eyes to bleed. But I’ll be reading your comments so keep it snarky!

Weight of Glory on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Yes. Republicans cannot be civil. Fact.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Pot… kettle

McDuck on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Hope she turns the damn thing off before he speaks, it’s so annoying.

TXUS on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

She lives for these. She runs over people to get face time with the president, republican or democrat. It makes her feel special.

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

FIRST!!
canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Don’t think so.

Holding for bishop.
platypus on January 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Thank you, my son, an autographed crozier will be sent to you via FedEx.

Bishop on January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Did I miss any?

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Let Me Be Clear.

Focus Like A Laser.

Can’t forget those two mainstays.

Flange on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Here comes the Strawman!

Some say
I I I
Bush
Inherit

cmsinaz on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Just get your Indonesian to stop lying.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Still on that one, huh? Even that idiot Trump has moved on.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Stupid republicans agreed to a mixed hall again, so they’ll be scattered about and everyone will think the whole room is applauding jug ears.

IrishEi on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

FACT: Bed bugs carry 24 known pathogens including MRSA.

CW on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Now I’m going to go exercise which sounds more exciting than being lectured at.

gophergirl on January 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

+1000

And cleaning my cat’s litter box would be more exciting than listening to this imbecilic putz.

Flora Duh on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Seriously, does anyone here have the stomach to watch this?

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I’d try, but I promised all the neighbors to darn their socks.

katy the mean old lady on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

My favorite state of the union was — I think — 1984, when I got stoned and watched Reagan do his thing.

It was, by the way, a campaign speech, just like Obama’s tonight.

But mesmerizingly delivered (to someone in that state, anyway).

urban elitist on January 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I hope someone put a muzzle on Joe Wilson.

BedBug on January 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

BedBug:

I hope Pelosium’s EYES don’t go “CRITICAL”!!

canopfor on January 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

lest you think only the dems have a lock on being Progressive and cuddling up with the likes of ALINSKY.

Mitt’s daddy apparently liked him some Alinsky too.

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Did I miss any?

PappyD61 on January 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

income inequality

gap between rich and poor

main street/wall street

we’re in this together

obstruct

I will not allow

without delay

sigh. It’s going to be a long night…

Firefly_76 on January 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

“Main Street and Wall Street”
Chug. The. Entire. Bottle.

carbon_footprint on January 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM